Clinton Wins Kentucky

Supporters of Democratic presidential hopefuls, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) try to rally voters by waving campaign signs at motorist passing through an intersection in Henderson, Ky., May 20, 2008. (Associated Press)

By Chris Cillizza
Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.) claimed an easy and expected victory tonight in Kentucky's Democratic presidential primary, while voters continued to cast ballots in Oregon, where Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.) was leading in the polls.

Clinton's Kentucky win is her second in as many weeks. She defeated Obama by 41 points last Tuesday in West Virginia, a victory largely overshadowed by former North Carolina senator John Edwards's endorsement of Obama less than 24 hours later.

Clinton's victory today in Kentucky could again be overshadowed -- pending the results out of Oregon tonight. Oregon's primary is conducted entirely by mail ballot, but voters can drop off their ballots as late as 11 p.m. Eastern time. As of Monday, more than 800,000 mail-in votes had been cast in Oregon with overall turnout expected to crest at a million.

Exit polling conducted in both states suggest that Democratic voters were primarily motivated by a desire for change. Nearly half of all voters in Kentucky and Oregon cited a candidate's ability to bring about change as their top priority in choosing between the two.

Less than a quarter of the voters surveyed said a candidate's experience was the key to making up their minds, while roughly one in 10 cited electability as a main concern.

Nearly two-thirds of Kentucky voters said the economy was the most important issue facing the country while less than half of Oregon Democrats said the same. Nearly one in three Oregon voters called the war in Iraq the top issue while roughly two in 10 Kentucky Democrats identified the war as the most pressing matter facing the nation.

Continue reading at Live Coverage »

By Web Politics Editor  |  May 20, 2008; 7:09 PM ET
Categories:  Primaries
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reacting to Baker Video, McCain Slams Obama's Judgment
Next: Keep the Race Going, Says McAuliffe

Comments

Some woman should say to Obama Tuesday Wont Cut It Babe or is that sweetie No Way, No Way, No Way...... Cant Stop It Babe, Winters Call Cant Stop It Babe No Way NoWay NoWay Novembers Callllllll No Way NoWay Just A Song Stuck In My Head.

You Dont Need To Drink LaTa To See The Light
Examiner said Hilary is Broke and Barack is rich OK So
What Kind Of Examiners are thy
Hilary With no money and Baracks Millions TRY LOOKING AT THE FACTS FROM LAST NIGHT In KY
THE People are Speeking and Money is not going to do it in November.

70 Out Of every 100 people came Rejection for Barack Obama in yet another state OH SHEAT
THATS 70 People OUT OF 100 THATS TOTAL REJECTION
70% Of People in KY add that to the list of states needed in November OH SHEAT!
After 74.1 % rejected Him in West VA He needs more Oregons May be 50 Of them?
Than add Florida and Michigan will be luckey if we get 30 Percect after screwing them in all of this and you got nothing left but,
The Party that screwed It Self!
For weeks hell for ever all we hear is Hillary `ought to withdraw, Hillary `ought to withdraw, Hillary `ought to withdraw Bull people are still voteing She better stick it out and be in the wings when Obama screws up again and He will.
She is the only thing standing between His screwing up and four more years of the same old same old.

The Party screwed it self when thy screwed The Clinton's. and now the Clinton's mite have to screw the party!
If thats what it takes to stop the Republicans so be it.
She will take it all the way to to the Convention floor and than to November, to the national election if need be, Never count a Clinton out.

Technically There's still a way for Hillary to win the National Election
and to be come the next President.
She can and will do it without the Democratic nomination.

1, She must refuse to be a drop out be for Novembers Election,

2, She must take Her case for the people to the Democratic National Convention and all the way to the floor.

3 ,and if Obama has not stumbled Yet again, She must declare Her Independence from the Democratic Party the party that gave it to Obama a long time ago!

4, She must Leave Her name on the ballot's by refusing to drop out and just place INDP Next to he name!

5 , She need to just wate and Both Obama and McCain will take care of each other.

(IF HILLARY WILL JUST GIVE US FIVE)
Hillary will walk away from a three man race with Over 36% and a victory!
With three people in the race two men will destroy each other, and She only needs to edge them out with 33.4 % She can and will win the National election.
PS should we ever count a Clinton out?
Never ever Never count a Clinton out, thy always come back stronger don't ask me why that just all ways all ways do.
Anthony
Tampa, Fl

Posted by: anthonytampafl | May 22, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Hillary will NEVER win the nomination. GIVE IT UP. By the way when she does finaly LOOSE remember this posted comment!!!

Posted by: rmiller | May 21, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

1. Mass Media - generally has given Hillary a free ride (and Obama until Rev. Wright made the news (as supplied by the Clinton campaign)). Fox hit her on the sniper fire and the "hospital story". Everything else has been a positive spin on her. You keep hearing that Obama wouldn't be in the lead if it weren't for the "black voters". You can also say that Hillary wouldn't be in the game if it wasn't for the women voters (don't care about HER inexperience, all the Clinton scandals (another free ride by the media) and a number of other negative baggage incidents she brings to the "table".

2. The Florida primary was determined by both parties, it was not forced upon the Democrats by the "nasty Republicans". Hillary did "campaign" in Florida. She spent a lot more time there than Obama.
I suspect she would still win Florida if the primary was redone there, but not by a significant amount (all the New Yorkers will have gone back home to New York). She chose to keep her name on the Michigan ballot (Obama had his removed to respect the party's wishes - Hillary "thumbed her nose" at the party). If the primary was redone there, I suspect Obama might win a close election (Detroit) or at least turn it into another Indiana. The end result would be Obama would have won both the delegate and popular vote. That would leave Hillary (and Bill) resort to trying to bribe the super delegates into changing their position.

3. As a senator she has done absolutely nothing. When the WTC towers came down, Schumer was there immediately. Where was Hillary? She did show up a couple of days later.

4. Her 8 years of so-called experience when Bill was president amounts to a hill of beans. As Dick Morris put it, so did the pastry chef have 8 years of experience in the White House. Again, her so-called experience level was manufactured by the media - I'd consider that another free ride for her.

5. What also has me curious is why so many of the "former Clintonite superdelegates" abandoning her in favor of Obama. Likewise with most of the key players (Senators, Congressmen, et al in the Democratic party). In spite of all the negative press Obama has been receiving lately and the general lack of negative press Hillary has received (I don't consider some news media people saying she should bow out as being negative - if it was saying Obama should bow out, the Hillary supporters would be saying it was NOT negative), he still seems to be picking up steam with the super delegates.

6. As far as being "Commander-in-Chief", our military would probably dwindle away to nothing and she would be forced to reinstate the draft. She is absolutely detested by the military (and her husband is not looked upon too favorably either). I don't consider a couple of retired generals the military. I mean the enlisted personnel and the lower level officers. A lot of good military personnel left in the early 90s after Bill became president - especially with the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. When you have an all-volunteer military, you end up with a narrow range of the spectrum (at least at the enlisted level), which has a mind-set that is typically conservative and anti-gay. They also know that she has not held the military in high regard (they all know the story of her admonishing Chelsea for talking to an enlisted man - "who was beneath her social class").

7. When confronted by the Russians, the Chinese, the Arabs and others who look down upon women, she would have a tough time and end up crying "its so hard being president", boo-hoo, boo-hoo.

8. Hillary also accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars from the Chinese "Norman Hsu". Hundreds of thousands of dollars from the oil companies and their lobbyists (mostly ignored by the media - hmm, another free ride for her). I know some of you will say she returned the "Hsu money", but "supposedly" and only after she was caught.

Personally, this group of three is probably one of the worst group of presidential candidates this country as seen in ages - Larry, Curly and Moe. Two lawyer

Posted by: Bob C. | May 21, 2008 3:27 AM | Report abuse

May your God Bess you John. From a Canadian, Dam, the world is watching. I copied your forum and hope you don't mind, or take it off.
We will always be one so yes I am happy with this forum.
I live in America, I am 50 years old and a veteran, and no matter how we look at the problem, the answer does not change. I live in a racist, bigoted and ignorant country. The worst part is that this is a land of cowards that prefer it that way. Few people in America can look someone in the eye and say: "you are different from me and I fear you, my fear will not let me give you a fair chance."
What experience does Sen. Clinton or Sen. McCain have that Sen. Obama does not? Knowledge of how to spin the truth? Copied this from an AMERICAN. And from a Canadian I would say Wake up. Your hated, your scared, your politicians have done the job well. Get with the program. You need Canada, water, oil, etc. So bring your children home for gods sake. We can do so very much with each other and have in the last many years before you vote. So let John talk-Knowing when to have plausable deniability? Selective memory of the facts that make up your own life?
Pres. Bush had eight years (20 if you count the years in his fathers shadow) to show what you need for the job of President is a reality check, and the good common sense to use it sometimes. Honesty would be a good trait too, but too much to hope for.
Unfortunately what the majority of americans will settle for is white male. We need to get past that before this countru can make any true progress

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Deconstructing "Susan Powers".

Here's my view and I'm not paid.

Would've been a waste if you had been. Read on.

As a general rule of basic decency, I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt. But if you have no doubt, I give you no benefit & owe you no decency, because your brand of seamless, cock-sure certainty stinks. It's irresponsible & regressive.

McCain's your man, then, with Rod Parsley in tow. You know, the guy who wants to exterminate 1.3 billion people? Yeah, THAT Rod Parsley. THAT spiritual guide. Go cozy up to the haters' club if you can't be bothered to learn anything.

Your mind is open like a vomiting drunk's mouth. I think you'd believe anything that played to your obvious bias, including that Wright blamed white America. Unlike you, I actually took the time to listen to his sermon. In reality, he found fault with a corrupt government. And whether he was right or wrong about AIDS, even you admit that the government is corrupt.

Nope...sorry, Susan, but you're so freakin' long-winded, if you can't take an extra moment to back up a single bit of blather with a link to a reputable source, I'm not going to waste my time looking it up.

See previous comment. Or following quote.

Cause I'm a stupid sheep.

'Nuff said.

Oh, puh-lease, 'NUFF SAID, ALREADY! As if the likes of you, feral and frothing, can even discern what's wrong, much less how to fix it. Case in point:

I even like the sexist mass media extolling his virtues, he's fresh, he's new, he's black, OH MY HE'S THE BLACK MESSIAH, THE CHOSEN ONE. Heck I'll even go with the plan to call anyone racist if they disagree with the plan to make Obama president. It's not racist to vote for a man just cause he is black, heck no... You know what, I'll go one better, I'll call that person stupid white trailor trash who dares to have a mind and vote for anyone else! Yeah, I'm a sheep, I'll vote for that, cause I have no mind. It doesn't matter anyway,It's the US, and the popular vote doesn't mean diddly so I might as well just go with the flow and NOT use my mind.

...and blah blah blah.

Hey, Susan? Matthew 7:5.

Now, shush.

Posted by: perspicio | May 20, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Im not an American but a lot of people around the world right now wish they were Americans! This is a great moment in the history of your country! This great sense of Hope and excitement is not only felt inside America but around the world! We're all so excited for you guys! This is the TRUTH "outside" America ... All this excitement around the world about your elections is NOT because of the Gender or Race issue! It's because of the message that these two individuals are preaching. Believe me, we non-Americans share in your hopes to bring about change not only in America, but around the world! And the reason why "Obamania RULZ" as far as we're concerned, is because his message is always inclusive of the world and not only America. On experience, John Edwards said in the South Carolina debate while he was still running... "If you want the status quo to remain, then the person you should vote for is senator Clinton". I'm just one person (non-American), but I think I can safely say that people around the world also have this negative feeling about the Clintons when the word "experience" is mentioned ("I did not have sex with that woman", Nafta support-gate", "Bosnia Sniper Fire-gate" ... and a whole lot more)This Democrat race should not have taken this long to decide the nominee. It would have been over by Feb this year, if the American people would have just put their "pettiness" (Race & Gender)aside and seize this special moment in history, deal with the ISSUES at hand and elect the "BEST PERSON" with the vision to take all of us forward, set the platform for this century and beyond. Americans have been distracted long enough for decades! Most people outside the U.S. cannot for the life of us understand how a lot of Americans can still vote for someone who has, (if you wanna vote on experience) blatantly, outrightly, glaringly CHANGED POSITIONS on so many issues, past and present just to get elected! This primary race would have been a more clear race for "either" side if it were another person (man or woman) running instead of Hillary. From an outsiders point of view, Senator Obama had made it clear from the beginning that they were going to run a "clean" campaign and talk about the issues only. He has also admitted that at times the other camp had succeeded in distracting them from the issues and they have participated in a little mud-slinging but they have been consistent and most people actually think so too. It's because the Clintons have always been associated with lying gutter politics which is why a lot of people around the world are hoping Obama wins this nomination and the presidency in November! We need a new brand of politics to set the scene this century around the world. Morality needs to come into play in politics and we need to kick out selfishness! Because basically that's IT! Selfishness! If you think about it, SELFISHNESS is the root of all evil! We non-Americans also want this world's only superpower lead us through a new era of bright hope for the future and human relations on another level. We are all human beings sharing this one planet. Put away all the pettiness of race, gender, colour etc and lets just share and care. Stop the selfishness people!

Posted by: Common Sense 08 | May 20, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

To Old Florida Democrat,

As I read it, the vote in the Florida House was unanimous to change the primary date. The Republicans didn't do in the Democrats; they participated in creating this stew.

See NY Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/04/us/politics/04florida.html

Posted by: David | May 20, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

To Old Florida Democrat,

See NY Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/04/us/politics/04florida.html

Posted by: David | May 20, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

The one good thing that will come out tonight besides the delegate plurality is that Oregon should help put the lie to the Obama can't win white voters line. Oregon is whiter than Kentucky and he's supposed to take it by a reasonable margin.

Posted by: Michael | May 20, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to see the Obamabots flip their Obamabot lids when golden boy loses the nomination.

I wonder if the word "racism" will come up. Nah, too 1990's.

P.S. Susan Powers, I never even entertained the feminist point of view until this year, having watched the vitriol the mass media has given HRC.

Posted by: Joseph Lieberman | May 20, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

If any more rules are bent in favour of Clinton, I'd give up on American politics for good

Posted by: A Nigerian Observer | May 20, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Susan Powers:

Welcome to the McCain Camp. Can I get you something to drink? Is there any particular women's issue or other area of concern that you have re: McCain's positions? I would love to discuss those with you and get you comfortable enough to at least be certain you are making the right decision with your vote in November : )

Posted by: JakeD | May 20, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

no surprise in ky. they wont vote for african american. she needs to stop wasting party's time & resource.

Posted by: dj | May 20, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Obamabots paid by the post.
Here's my view and I'm not paid.
Yeah, I really want to vote for a person who thinks there are 57 states, mebbe he was tired, yep excuses, that'll work. I'll vote for a man who has a racist pastor who the candidate thanked for his guidance, I'll even believe Obama didn't know this paster blamed white America for causing AIDS to get rid of black people. I'll vote for that, yeppers. I'll vote a man who got his senate job by backstabbing a friend, that's REAL morals there buddy, (look that one up for details) Let's see, I want to vote for someone who has radical friends who had a party for him when he entered the race for president, Yeah that's my choice. Cause I'm a stupid sheep. Obama, just cause I really want to make sure the good ol' US is really messed up even more than it is.
Yeah, I'm a sheep, I'll vote for that, cause I have no mind. It doesn't matter anyway, It's the US, and the popular vote doesn't mean diddly so I might as well just go with the flow and NOT use my mind. Superdelegates, go ahead vote for Omaba, be afraid, be really really afraid, not of what this country will go to if an inexperienced, untried person with radical people surrounding him should get the presidency, be afraid of doing the right thing and voting for a real leader instead of being afraid of voting against someone because black people identify with him and OH MY, there might be a RIOT (think OJ), Yep, in America anything can happen, and lately it's just been all bad.
The wars (remember Iraq and Afghanistan? White and black soldiers have been getting killed there), prices, jobs, college being unaffordable, gas, you know, the stuff you REALLY want an inexperienced person to handle.
I'd hire THAT guy to head my company. Heck, it's just a country he would be the commander in chief of, how hard can THAT be? How messed up COULD he make it? (think Bush/Cheney)
Did I mention it doesn't matter anyway cause my vote doesn't count? SUPERDELEGATES, YOU GO (away...)
And I've come to a decision, and other people are coming to that decision as well, so watch out democratic party, you're gonna lose supporters and with that their money, and you LIKE money. I have decided to not vote, other people are going to vote for McCain, you blew it on this one.

Posted by: Susan Powers | May 20, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

(CNN) -- Sen. Hillary Clinton on Tuesday thanked her supporters for handing her a victory in Kentucky "even in the face of some pretty tough odds."

Sen. Hillary Clinton celebrates her win with supporters in Louisville, Kentucky.

With 90 percent of precincts reporting, Clinton was leading Sen. Barack Obama by 35 percentage points.

Her landslide victory comes as Obama is poised to take a majority of the pledged delegates after votes are tallied in Oregon.

"Tonight we have achieved an important victory," Clinton said in Louisville.

"It's not just Kentucky bluegrass that's music to my ears. It's the sound of your overwhelming vote of confidence even in the face of some pretty tough odds."

Watch Clinton vow to keep going »

Clinton beat Obama across all age groups, income groups and education levels in Kentucky.

Eighty-nine percent of Tuesday's voters in Kentucky were white, according to the exit polls. Among them, Clinton won 72-22 percent. Nine percent of the voters were African-American and they overwhelmingly broke for Obama, 87-7 percent.

The exit polls from Kentucky also suggest a deep division among Democrats. Watch how Clinton's win could affect the race »

Two-thirds of Clinton's supporters there said they would vote Republican or not vote at all rather than for Obama, according to the polls.

Forty-one percent of Clinton supporters said they'd cast their vote for John McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee, and 23 percent said they would not vote at all.

Just 33 percent said they would back Obama in the general election, according to the polls.

Those numbers are even worse for Obama than in West Virginia one week ago, where 36 percent of Clinton voters said they would back him in the fall.

A majority of Democrats in both states think Obama will be the party's nominee, according to exit polls.

Obama's campaign sees the two contests as a milestone in the protracted fight with Clinton, who continues to campaign hard.

"This is a very important threshold today, having the majority of pledged delegates. ... We're excited about it, but it doesn't mean it's the end," said Tom Daschle, former Senate majority leader and Obama's campaign co-chairman.

Posted by: JakeD | May 20, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm a John Edwards voter who just sent some money to Clinton, but who will willingly support Obama if he's the nominee. But I do have some questions that I would like some honest and non-hysterical answers to.I hope some of you experts out there can help me.

I recently tried to track the history of the party's nomination rules. The bottom line seems to be that the nominee will be the person who gets a majority of the pledged and super delegates combined. And the rules seem fairly specific about the numbers of each. It seems pretty clear that the intent was that if no candidate came to the convention with a majority, the super delegates would decide. And the basis for their decision was explicit -- pick the best nominee for the party. Nothing about the lead in pledged delegates or popular vote or number of state primaries/caucuses won. When did that change?

The rule also was that if states violated the mandatory schedule - and the wisdom/stupidity of that is debatable -- then they would lose half their delegates. As I tracked it back, the party Rules Committee decided in August of 2007, after Florida and Michigan threatened to go early, to change it from half to all -- the so-called death-penalty deterrent. My questions: is that the way it went down, and if they changed the rule once, why can't they change it again?

Another rule, by my reading, was that if states found themselves in a situation where state law conflicted with party law, they would abide by state law but show evidence they tried to change state law. In my state, a Republican legislature determined the date of the primary. I tried to follow the rules and sent a letter of objection to my representative (a Republican). So I tried to follow the rules but now find my vote won't count. Am I misinterpreting this rule?

Posted by: Old Florida Democrat | May 20, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Tonight, I am coming out of the closet!
Chris, I don't trust your italian accent, it sounds to Camorra talk to me!
Money makes the world go round, and you surely are taking a big chunk in this game!

Posted by: Caronte | May 20, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Barack forever!

Posted by: Rohan | May 20, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Or, perhaps I am "dominating" because the TRUTH hurts? For instance, according to your own logic: it doesn't matter whether he gets "majority of the pledged delegates" tonight. The bottom line is that it takes 2,026 (not counting Florida and Michigan) or 2,209 (counting Florida and Michigan) to become the presumptive Democratic nominee. Call me when all that gets resolved.

Posted by: JakeD | May 20, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

You're dominating the comments because no one cares: the primary is over. Obama only needs 17 pledged delegates to have the majority, which he'll get tonight and then some. The superdelegates are coming to Obama in droves, and they wouldn't have the willpower to overrule the pledged ones even if they wanted to (which they don't). The popular vote count doesn't favor Clinton unless you do some real fuzzy math (disqualified states count, even if Obama wasn't on the ballot? caucus states don't count because... Clinton did poorly in them?), and doesn't matter as much as delegates because we're the united STATES, and it matters where those votes happened.

So yell all you want, the podium is yours...because there's almost no left in the room.

Posted by: Done | May 20, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I can recall something Mark Twain once quoted about "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and ..."

Posted by: JakeD | May 20, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Darn it! Of course, it would have to be a "statistician" who breaks my lucky streak!!!

Posted by: JakeD | May 20, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I thought Obama's grandparents are from Kentucky?
If only the press or the media will take a challenge and be bias FOR Hillary, the math will change so quickly, the media could make her win.. the delegates will change their mind..

Posted by: statistician | May 20, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I just wish I got paid by the post.

Posted by: JakeD | May 20, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Cool. Maybe EVERY post on this thread could be by a "JakeD" ...

Posted by: JakeD | May 20, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I AM YELLING REAL LOUD TO COVER UP THE SOUND OF JUST ONE HAND CLAPPING.

Posted by: JakeD | May 20, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Who cares if Barack HUSSEIN Obama has a "majority of the pledged delegates"? She still holds the lead in the TOTAL POPULAR VOTE. Bottom line: it takes 2,026 (not counting Florida and Michigan) or 2,209 (counting Florida and Michigan) to become the presumptive nominee.

Posted by: JakeD | May 20, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

HANG IN THERE, HILLARY DIANE CLINTON!!!

Posted by: JakeD | May 20, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse