McCain Supporting Pastor Apologizes

Updated 4:21 p.m.
By Michael D. Shear
While Sen. Barack Obama has struggled with the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Republican John McCain's own pastor problem has festered. Now, it appears McCain may have found a solution that satisfies one of his fiercest critics.

Pastor John Hagee, a McCain endorser whose controversial comments had angered Catholic leaders, issued a letter of apology today to the president of the Catholic League, who heartily accepted it.

In the letter, Hagee admitted that he "may have contributed to the mistaken impression that the anti-Jewish violence of the Crusades and the Inquisition defines the modern-day Catholic Church. It most certainly does not."

Hagee, an evangelical who has made support for Israel a crusade of his own, had enraged Catholics with statements about the "apostate church" and the "great whore." He said in his letter that he meant neither of those to apply to the Catholic Church.

He continued: "I pledge to address these sensitive issues in the future with a greater level of compassion and respect for my Catholic brothers and sisters in Christ."

Catholic League President Bill Donahue accepted Hagee's apology. In a statement, he wrote that "the tone of Hagee's letter is sincere. He wants reconciliation and he has achieved it. Indeed, the Catholic League welcomes his apology. ... Whatever problems we had before are now history. This case is closed."

That can only be good news for McCain, who had sought Hagee's endorsement in the heat of battle for evangelical voters with former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee. Now, as he prepares for a general election, Hagee -- like Wright -- had become a liability.

Not all Catholics are prepared to be mollified by the letter, however. Alexia Kelley, executive director of Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good, said "it would be nice if McCain apologized," and called the candidate's previous efforts to distance himself from Hagee's comments "somewhat conditional."

Kelley's group, which advocates for church teachings on war and poverty -- positions that tend to align more with Democrats than Republicans -- hosted a luncheon earlier today about how politics and religion are blending in the campaign. Attendees, mostly Catholics from across the political spectrum, said they felt religious bias seems to be more acceptable than racial bias, and agreed to try and oppose it as the fall election nears.

Kelley cited the Hagee comments as an example. "His comments were extremely problematic."

By Web Politics Editor  |  May 13, 2008; 3:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rockefeller Reflects on W.Va. Voters, Obama's Chances
Next: Clinton, Obama Get Cordial Senate Welcomes

Comments

hagee is an ass

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Brett:

I already pointed that out (and the headline was partially corrected at least ; )

Posted by: JakeD | May 14, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

The header on this article on Google says "McCain's pastor apologizes" Hagee ISN'T McCain's Pastor. He hasn't set under his preaching and supported his church for TWENTY YEARS! The press is trying to make this an equivalent to Rev. Wright. It's not the same deal. Obama's relationship with Wright speaks to a real problem with either his ideology or his integrity.

Posted by: Brett | May 13, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

eg - Ever eaten shrimp? Ever worn clothes woven of more than one fabric? If so, don't complain when God sends a tornado or a flood to destroy your house and kill your family. It's the word of God. It's in the Bible.

Posted by: JohnL | May 13, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Hagee apologizes, but does he really mean it? Has John McCain apologized for using poor judgment in going to Hagee for his endorsement?

Posted by: ghostcommander | May 13, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

eg - you seem to be saying that the Bible is God's own words and the truth. That, my friend, is a matter of opinion.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

John McCain is still a Hot Head and Hagee
should say so. They are like two peas in a pod. Both are dangerous. Surely free thinking people will NOT vote for
John McCain.

Posted by: Westexacan | May 13, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

It's okay. Three Hail Mary's, two Our Fathers, and you have to box Sister Mary Teresa.

Go, and sin no more.

Posted by: pressF1 | May 13, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

JohnL says,"You are a sadly twisted and intellectually dishonest soul. I'm gay so don't think I haven't heard your kind of perverse double talk a tousand times before."

Well, John, I have to assume from your statement you believe God and the Bible to be perverse. And, coming from that perspective, I'm sure you wouldn't agree with anything Hagee, or, far more importantly, God, in His own Word, has said. I won't call you twisted or unintellectual, as you have been so quick to label another, but I will tell you that if you met John Hagee, he would have nothing but love towards you. But he would be failing in his responsibility as a pastor if he didn't speak the truth.

Now, regarding his comments about New Orleans, I haven't read them in context so I can't make an informed comment about them. I really don't know about God and judgment in the day and age we are currently in because I believe, since Jesus' death, resurrection and ascension, we are currently in an age of grace. I do know that Hagee and other Bible teachers no doubt base their teachings on legitimate Biblical examples of God's overwhelming judgment of sin. Even though I do believe in the future there may be a resurgence of the active judgment of God, I simply don't personally believe we are in the midst of that now.

And if we are judged, it will be by God's standards concerning all sin, not simply homosexuality, as you all are only a very tiny portion of a very large population of wrongdoing by God's standard.

Hate John Hagee if you wish, hate God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and every one who agrees with the Word of God but it won't change who God is, His love for every person alive, and the ultimate outcome of His story.

Posted by: eg | May 13, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

eg, let me get this straight, Hagee does not hate anybody, but he is willing to wipe out New Orleans becasue of some activity he does not like? I am sure the innocent children killed in that storm or all the people who suffered are relieved to know that hate was not involved. Now, what's next, Myramar was punished because of feminism?

Posted by: mark | May 13, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

eg - You are a sadly twisted and intellectually dishonest soul. I'm gay so don't think I haven't heard your kind of perverse double talk a tousand times before. Give it a break. If nothing else the younger generation is no longer buying it and for that I thank God.

Posted by: JohnL | May 13, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

eg, hagee expouses quite a bit of hate about catholicism. Screw him and all who defend him. In my religion, one has to study and be recognized as being smarter than a bucket to be a religious leader. In your religion, any sub-90 IQ fat boy can get a religious TV show. Waht a sham - and a shame.

Posted by: mark | May 13, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

JohnL says:

"Typical power-hungry right-wing preacher - always ready to modify his words in public, though not their true beliefs, - when necessary to climb the power ladder. Naturally though the media and the Republicans won't press him on his virulent hatred of gay people."

You are extraordinarily uninformed, John. John Hagee has never expressed a hatred for gays. He has strong views regarding the immorality of homosexuality which are in accordance with the Bible and, by the way, are in great alignment with the vast majority of all major religions. His comments have been in reference to the sin of homosexuality and not a hatred for the person(s) involved in such. Additionally, if you bothered to listen to Hagee, you would know that he holds heterosexual adultery and fornication up to the same Biblical light and standard. He is a Christian teacher from a Bible believing perspective. What exactly would you expect him to hold and expound as his beliefs and, exactly from what text would you expect him to teach from? Yes, there does seem to be hatred abounding around here but, based on your remarks, perhaps you should take a look at yourself.

Posted by: eg | May 13, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

HAGEE must have gotten word from McSame and now thinks this forced apology will help McSame with the Catholic vote, but sorry, too little, too late! And furthermore, since HAGEE has continued with his HATE of gays and them being the cause of Katrina in LA, he is the STUPID RACIST BIGOT that I always thought he was! No PRIZE for you, HAGEE, you HATEFUL PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR A PREACHER - I'll take Wright any day over you!

Posted by: ObamasLady | May 13, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Donohue said Hagee, by offering his apology now, defused a potential problem from the Arizona senator.

"Had this happened after Labor Day I think it would have been an insurmountable problem for McCain to reach out to Catholics," Donohue said. "Now, with this behind him, I think the raised eyebrows in the Catholic community will begin to normalize."

In a statement posted in the Catholic League's Web site, Donohue added: "What Hagee has done takes courage and quite frankly I never expected him to demonstrate such sensitivity to our concerns."

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Mark- LOL! :-D

Juan McAmnesty is in need of even the Devil Himself supporting him at this Point.

Not to say the Ice Senator Juan the Traitor is walking is "Thin",

But,

It's over the Rio Grande! ;~)

Seriously, there is plenty of time. Who in their right minds thinks a Pandering Old Fool will benefit with his insane and Traitorous Amnesty, against an Obama ticket with Bill Richardson-The Original "Anchor Baby"! :-(

Juan McAmnesty has committed Political Suicide. He is Losing the Invasoras, and has already LOST the Americans! :-(

Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee! M&M's! NO Amnesty! NO War-Mongering! NO Gaffes! And all the rest of McSame's Lobby Baggage!

Posted by: RAT-The | May 13, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

HAH! Is this ever a political season! Hagee apologizes at a time when it's convenient for McCain. As a political tactical maneuver it's smart. As a moral action, it's a bit questionable.

No one in the GOP is going to quiz Hagee to see if he's really changed. For all we know the apology letter could have been ghost-written.

But more importantly, the media - who assuaulted Obama for two solid weeks about the Wright affair - aren't going to even stick a mic in Hagee's face or go undercover to dig up more on Hagee's past. There's a media double-standard if you're a white preacher in America.

Posted by: wpreader2007 | May 13, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

The "Catholic League"? No wonder they bring back memories of Christian atrocities past with a name like that. The French Catholic League led a bloody civil war against the Hugenots. The German Catholic League was a belligerent in the vicious 30 Years' War, most deadly of all religious wars. Their general Wallenstein sacked Magdeburg and massacred the entire population.

Anyone naming a modern-day organisation the Catholic League either knows nothing of history, or is deliberately looking to be confrontational.

Not that any of that justifies Hagee, the fruitloop of hate. What a phoney. As soon as his deeply-held religious convictions stand in the way of a lobbyist-run political campaign, he changes them.

A rightwing preacher who's a fraud, whodathunkit?

Posted by: OD | May 13, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

The point all of you are missing is that MCain is still accepting the endorsements of these idiots. Not agreeing with them and not accepting their endorsements are different and will come back to haunt McCain.

Posted by: mark | May 13, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Hagee still has not apologized for saying that Hurricane Katrina destroyed New Orleans because they were going to host a gay pride parade.

Wright is a horrible man and American and Hagee is no different no matter how many phony apologies the McCain campaign gets him to issue.

Posted by: Patrick | May 13, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnL | May 13, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Ryan - It was not just that easy.

We are talking about Catholics here.

First, he had to acknowledge REMORSE.

That he had done something Wrong! Then seek out Atonement-by "Confessing" his fault, and seeking forgiveness.

THEN, probably about a Dozen Hail Mary's and twice as many Our Fathers, along with a pledge to Vote for Mitt & Mike this Fall! ;~)

Posted by: RAT-The | May 13, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Ryan and richard:

For starters, Hagee was not McCain's SPIRITUAL ADVISOR for 20 years. Did you see my post at 3:23 PM?

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

God Loves You:

I am not Phil Donahue either. My Pastor is John Powell. I was not aware "they" say anything about staking out Pastors, though, so I honestly don't know who Bush's Pastor is (maybe that black guy who gave both Inaugural invocations and married Jenna / Henry over the weekend?). Although it is interesting, I doubt you or I have to worry about running for President anytime soon ...

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand how just saying "I'm sorry" solves everything. We know what this guy believes. I would say he is even less tolerant than Rev Wright....with about one-eighth of the media coverage.

We all know Obama didn't agree with a lot of Rev Wright's stances. And we all know McCain doesn't agree with this guy's math. Why does McCain get a complete pass here?

So much for that liberal bias.

Posted by: Ryan | May 13, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Hagee certainly said some pretty hateful things about the Catholic Church.

I wonder if Farrakhan or Wright would be given a pass if THEY issued similar apologies.

I'm thinking, not.

Posted by: gbooksdc | May 13, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what Bonhoeffer, Lewis or Mother Theresa would say about these two idiots. These guys were born asterisks. Christian conservatives have embraced fear, retribution and a determined ignorance. The latter is almost always defined as stupidity and I see no reason to defer. What has happened to the good name of Jesus in the hands of these wretched nimcompoops ? I tell people that I am a Jesarian to avoid the sins of association.

Posted by: Buddesatva | May 13, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

These kinds of remarks about Jews and Catholics are disresptful and wrong. McCain cannot get a free pass for choosing such a hateful pastor. This is the sort of speech that fosters more violence and dehumanizing actions. Ghandi said , "an eye for an eye, snd soon the whole world is blinda".

Posted by: richard | May 13, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

EXACTLY, that's what I'm saying...

If Catholics say something CRAZY, what's the big deal, anyway.

I mean, they're CATHOLIC, for Christ's Sake!
What do you EXPECT?

Plus, the guy is white, so it's really a non-issue.

Posted by: Catholic Lover | May 13, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

JakeD wrote:

If Hagee is NOT McCain's Pastor, and McCain has maintained the following:

(a) it was "probably a mistake" to court and accept Hagee's endorsement,

(b) specifically "repudiate[d] any comments that are made, including Pastor Hagee's, if they are anti-Catholic or offensive to Catholics",

(c) "I sent two of my children to Catholic school. I categorically reject and repudiate any statement that was made that was anti-Catholic, both in intent and nature", and

(d) "Yesterday, Pastor John Hagee endorsed my candidacy for president in San Antonio, Texas. However, in no way did I intend for his endorsement to suggest that I in turn agree with all of Pastor Hagee's views, which I obviously do not,"

... what exactly is still EXPLOSIVE?
________________________________________

JakeD- Tiny little pieces of Information, left laying around, can be accidentally picked up by the Clueless wonders called Libbies.

Evidence has shown, in their hands, a little uncontrolled knowledge is DANGEROUS!

Information and tiny Minds go together like Water and Potassium! ;~)

Cripes, they would even support an un-Qualified Candidate they cannot name any Qualifiers for-Like "Barry" Insane O'Bomba-Nation! :-(

Of all the Audacity!

Posted by: RAT-The | May 13, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Catholics are pretty crazy anyway.

Everybody knows that. I mean, look how they raped all those kids. They supported the Nazi's. They used to hate the jews until it turned around financially.

They actually believe that when one eats the wafer in church, and drinks the wine (Kool-Aid Alert) that the wafer turns into Jesus' flesh and the wine turns into his ACTUAL blood.

That's pretty crazy. If a Catholic DOESN'T really truly honestly BELIEVE that, then he is by definition, Protestant. I really think that most Catholics are closet Protestants, but socially they can't up and switch.

Gives a whole new perspective on Obama leaving his church of 20 years over some crazy statements by the pastor. Catholics, though, probably wouldn't understand the analogy as they are the world's most notorious hypocrites.

Posted by: Irish Catholic Heathen | May 13, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

What about Phil Donahue?

If not, who is your Pastor, JakeD?

You know what they say:

No better way to get to know somebody than to stake out his Pastor.

That's what they so, isn't it?

Come to think of it, I don't even HAVE a Pastor! That's probably worse than having Wright or Hagee. Not sure.

What's worse, JakeD, having no Pastor, or one that said controversial things? I mean as far as being President. As a matter of fact, who IS Bush's Pastor? What church does he go to now that he's in the White House?

This is all very very interesting politics, no?

Posted by: God Loves You, it's the people who don't | May 13, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I am 76 and retired, so I have plenty of time to waste around here ...

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 3:56 PM

That explains it all!

Obama supporters, stop wasting time with the comment sections of news articles. These posts are anonymous. For all you know all these posts could be coming from the same person that doesn't even live in this country.

Go to Obama's website, get involved in the campaign, don't waste your time with this nonsense.

Posted by: Webmaster | May 13, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Why do Republicans suck up to these nutcases?

All they do is offend every human being this idiot "Christian" defames.

Posted by: Mike234 | May 13, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Barack Obama just called and asked me to mail in my ballot by Thursday (at least it sounded like him) so that it would get counted.

My vote counts as long as it is received by next Tuesday. It's almost as though he doesn't trust the working Americans, the hard working Americans, the white Americans at the USPS to get my ballot there in time so he wants us me to mail it out early. How elitist is that.

Maybe I should revisit by decision. Too late, I used a pen.

Posted by: bill (from Oregon) | May 13, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Alexia Kelley is the one insulting the Catholic Church.

Catholics have MUCH better Educations than the one she seems to posses.

Two of those Educations went to Senator McCain's Daughters! ;~)

But Ms. Kelley is too busy playing Politics to keep up with things like the facts Hagee endorsed McCain(Not McCain attended Hagee's Church supporting HIM!-like "Barry" does at his racisim based Church(IF, it can be called that)).
The other FACT, is Senator McCain DID announce he disagrees with Hagee's foolish and misguided ignorant Rants-It was WHEN I learned about the Senator's Daughter's schooling! ;~)

Ms. Kelley, as a REAL Catholic, with a 13 Years Private Catholic Education, please allow ME, to tell YOU-STFU! :-)

Posted by: RAT-The | May 13, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

What's the Big Deal?

It's not like Hagee is Black, for Christ Sake !

This is a non-issue, drummed up by the Ultra-Liberal Hippie Pot Smoking Anti-American Unpatriotic Reverse-Racist Media to try to buff some of the Heavenly Gleem off of a True American War Hero, who fought the Vietnamese over there, so we didn't have to fight them here.

Plus, Hagee probably gets a lot of money and perks for his Israel support. It's not like he really CARES about Israel, it's more like a part time job, supporting a very lucrative Cause.

Again, though, Hagee is White, therefore, this is a non-issue.

And put down the Kool-Aid, Obamafools, Obamabots, and Obamaniacs...

Hillary/McCain in 08

Do what Israel wants. It's what REALLY matters.

Posted by: LeftWithNoChoice | May 13, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I am not Bill Donahue.

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Now we can expect an apology for anti-Islam statements by another of McCain's supporters, Rev. Parsley.

Posted by: thebob.bob | May 13, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

JakeD -- come on, admit it, you're really bill donahue. 76, retired, the cranky posts, the thin-skinned catholic defensiveness, quoting your own "written statement" -- there's only one red-faced blustery papal defender who could meet that verbose standard. confess, my son!

Posted by: mowgliwest | May 13, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh but they are voting in Orygun today. and tommorrow and the next day...until May 20, 2008 when all mail ballots are finally due in.

Posted by: Patrick | May 13, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

bill:

True -- you can vote today.

mowgliwest:

I was busy with other things -- thanks for the "concern" though.

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

what the hell's going on? JakeD hasn't posted in more than five minutes!

Posted by: mowgliwest | May 13, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

To clean house! This is spring cleaning JM is getting ready for Nov, by getting all controversies in order (fired, contrite, etc). The RNC either promised Hagee something or threatened to burn down his church.

Obama would do well to do the same. Much probably can't be done with Wright except to send him on a long vacation somewhere so the media can develop a different obsession.

Posted by: It's Time... | May 13, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

McCain's Pastor? Hello? Hagee is a Pastor it is true. And he did endorse McCain, but is most certainly NOT McCain's Pastor!

Surely even The Washington Post knows better?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

If Reverend [sic] Hagee had made these remarks about judiaism there would have been a much greater uproar. How come it is acceptable for southern baptists (really a cult) to critisize Catholics. This is page 10 at best in the press. Anybody says anything remotely offensive to jews and we all have ot apologize.

Posted by: mark | May 13, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow looks like some demagogue's are willing to apologize for their narrow minded racist remarks but some aren't. Good job Hagee, you did the right thing.

Posted by: DCDave | May 13, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

So Hagee has apologized to Catholics? That's a start but what about the people of New Orleans who he claimed were attacked by God with Hurricane Katrina for supporting gays?

Posted by: David | May 13, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

not sure who is the bigger idiot: hagee or mccain for soliciting hagee's support. even among the fundamentalist asshats, hagee sets new standards for over-the-top idiocy, flame-throwing rhetoric, etc. mccain should have known this one would eventually go south.

Posted by: mowgliwest | May 13, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

As far as Hagee goes, he sounded sincere when he expressed his views the first time.
Was he more sincere this time? McCain should have disassociated himself from Hagee long ago. It's now a case of too little too late. Anything for a vote.

Why should rev Wright apologize? He isn't running for president.

BTW, Oregonians may vote today, or tomorrow, or may have already voted. My ballot is next to me and when the mood strikes...

Obama in 08

Posted by: bill (from Oregon) | May 13, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Who cares, you know you meant it.

Posted by: geezuz | May 13, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I think McCain is above all this, and definitely not the sort to take Hagee too seriously.

Hagee, however, is nothing less than a money-grubbing blowhard, not to be trusted any farther than you can throw him. Ask anyone here in San Antonio who has had business dealings with him or his organization -- they are neither kind-hearted nor honest people in any sense. The so-called apology is an insincere joke, and his only "regret" is the potential political outcome, for which he doesn't want to be blamed.

Posted by: Warren B | May 13, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Mike234:

McCain has already called those views "nonsense" as well: http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/04/24/mccain-calls-hagee-views-nonsense/

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Well, like I said, let's see if Rev. Wright apologizes now too ...

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Touche, I got you BUT you provided me with something which made me take a second look at the info that I had...But if I said I like cheese sandwiches and I really liked cheese sandwiches I'm not going to apologize because it offends people who are lactose intolerant ya know?!? If Hagee meant what he said, man up and stand by it like Rev Wright did (even though he made a fool out of himself with all of his grandstanding and shucking and jiving all over the place, that part kind of pissed me off) but he stood by what he said b/c he believes it.

Posted by: Deeze | May 13, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Mike234:

Are you a homosexual?

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Deeze:

You've NEVER apologized for anything boneheaded you've done (as I recall, you even admitted TODAY that you were wrong about the extent of the Tuskegee Experiment)? I am 76 and retired, so I have plenty of time to waste around here ...

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Whoopee! Am I still responsible for Hurricane Katrina?

Why are "Christians" such haters?

Posted by: Mike234 | May 13, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

2008 Presidential Election Weekly Poll
Results Posted Tommorrow!
Get Your Vote in for this week!

Posted by: votenic | May 13, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Justin:

I liked it better when he was McCain's Pastor ; )

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

JakeD, I keep running into you on these things, don't you have work to do?!? LOL j/k BUT I don't happen to think Rev. Wright should apologize. if you meant it when you said it then man up and stand by your words, however explosive or controversial. If Hagee said it then I'm sure he meant it so why take it back? I get so tired of everyone having to walk on eggshells around what they really mean, how are we supposed to get to know the "real" candidate if they can't speak honestly? and we don't allow for our candidates to do that so we get the whole song and dance routine, that's why politics is such a dirty game...

Posted by: Deeze | May 13, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

If not, are you nonetheless familiar with the Lord's Prayer?

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

JakeD is right. Hagee wasn't John McCain's pastor. Neither were Rod Parsley, Pat Robertson, or Jerry Falwell. McCain's courting of these men is entirely political in nature, just as his denouncing of them in 2000 was political posturing. He doesn't share their views; he's just tilting with the political winds and hoping to garner any support he can from evangelical conservatives.

Say what you want about McCain, but he is certainly not a religious man. He's simply a shrewd politician who knows that you have to pick the side that serves you best and change your stripes as needed. He'd never risk a genuine commitment to a church or faith, or anything else that could become a political liability.

So, don't accuse McCain of being hateful just for being a typical politician. After all, he already has enough scandals with his campaign staff and close friends. He doesn't need to risk more liabilities by being a genuinely religious person.

Posted by: Justin | May 13, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

David S. Robins:

The "so-called" apology was immediately accepted by Catholic League president Bill Donahue -- in a statement, he wrote that "The tone of Hagee's letter is sincere. He wants reconciliation and he has achieved it. Indeed, the Catholic League welcomes his apology ... Whatever problems we had before are now history. This case is closed ... Whatever problems we had before are now history. This case is closed."

Are you Catholic?

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Let's face it, despite this so-called apology, Rev. Hagee said those words and it's precisely clear to all who read them what he meant. Hagee is a religious bigot who supports John McCain vociferously. McCain should denounce him just as strongly as Obama denounced Rev. Wright. But McCain won't do that. He knows he needs the professional haters of the "christian" evangelical movement if he is to have even the remotest chance of winning in November. Fortunately, he won't. Americans are fed up with Republican religious bigotry.

Posted by: David S. Robins | May 13, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for correcting the headline slightly, but shouldn't it be "McCain-Supporting Pastor Apologizes" or "Pastor Who Endorsed McCain Apologizes"??

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Dan:

You do realize that WEST VIRGINIA votes today, not Oregon?

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

3 new polls from Oregon have VERY good news for Obama who leads big in all of them. Full roundup : http://www.campaigndiaries.com/2008/05/what-is-up-with-west-virginia-plus.html

Posted by: Dan | May 13, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

If Hagee is NOT McCain's Pastor, and McCain has maintained the following:

(a) it was "probably a mistake" to court and accept Hagee's endorsement,

... what exactly is still EXPLOSIVE?

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Crackpot evangelicals aren't attention-grabbers. Thus, the media walks by this explosive story.

Posted by: matt | May 13, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

P.S. I don't believe that Hagee was ever John McCain's "pastor" -- Dan Yeary is the Pastor at North Phoenix Baptist Church -- Hagee is the Pastor at Cornerstone Church in San Antonio, Texas.

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Now, let's see if Rev. Wright apologizes ...

Posted by: JakeD | May 13, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse