Obama Claims Pledged Delegate Majority

Barack Obama
US Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) speaks at his Oregon and Kentucky primary election night rally in Des Moines, Iowa, May 20, 2008. (Reuters)

Updated 10:35 p.m.
By Garance Franke-Ruta
Not waiting for the results from Oregon to come in, Sen. Barack Obama sent supporters a thank-you letter celebrating winning a majority of pledged delegates in the Democratic primary contest and setting course for "the epic challenge ahead."

"It's clear that tonight we have reached a major milestone on this journey," said the e-mail titled "What we just achieved."

"We have won an absolute majority of all the delegates chosen by the people in this Democratic primary process," he wrote in the letter, which went on to pose the "journey" he had been on as one between continuing "down the same road with the same leadership that has failed us for so long" -- an apparent dig at Hillary Clinton and the rest of his Democratic competitors -- or taking "a different path."

"[I]n spite of all the doubt and disappointment -- or perhaps because of it -- people have stood for change," he wrote, before pivoting toward the general election. "Unfortunately, our opponents in the other party continue to embrace yesterday's policies and they will continue to employ yesterday's tactics -- they will try to change the subject, and they will play on fears and divisions to distract us from what matters to you and your future. But those tactics will not work in this election."

He continued with a flourish similar to those in his speeches. "They won't work because you won't let them. Not this time. Not this year."

"We will compete for every delegate available" in the remaining voting states, he added. "But tonight, I want to thank you for everything you have done to take us this far -- farther than anyone predicted, expected, or even believed possible."

By Web Politics Editor  |  May 20, 2008; 10:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hagel Suggests McCain Will Change Tune If Elected
Next: Obama's Triumphant Iowa Return

Comments

america needs an able president on day one not one built by media blitz and be surrounded by advisers...
hillary clinton is tested for love of country,dedication and her great ability to lead this country and the world.
God Bless America....

Posted by: allan baldemor | May 21, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Early on, I was thinking maybe I should give Hillary another look, perhaps she had evolved into an authentic leader. But not long after Iowa, the old Hillary began to re-emerge. It was clear she felt entitled to the nomination, and it took her awhile to fully comprehend that it was slipping away. When she did, her reaction was to get mad, and turn vicious. As a Republican, I can only hope I will not find myself in the position of having to endorse anything that resembles a third-term for the worst President in my lifetime, and probably in the history of this country. I want to see this wrapped up, and a civil debate on the issues between Obama and McCain. As of this moment, I would vote for Obama in November. But I want to hear a few more details from both of them before deciding.

We cannot afford another malignant narcissistic personality in the White House, and in that regard, I think Hillary is even worse than Bucheney. I remember her from 1993. Shrill is just way too soft a word to describe her back then...

Posted by: ted in pdx | May 21, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Jake D:

It took me so long to answer because I was enjoying my mocha latte while working at my professional position. You see, I'm one of those elite, college-educated types.

For those 'Obama' haters who are not racists, maybe they should take a look at what the alternative is to either voting for John McCain, writing in Shrillary Clinton's name on the ballot in November or not voting at all.

A John McCain presidency is a third term of George Bush. I don't know about you, but I have family and friends in Iraq that I want to come home ALIVE before the Repugulicans decide how to 'win' this skirmish.

I'd also like to keep my current employer provided health insurance (I pay 20%). I've read McCain's proposals for healthcare and even in perfect health I could not afford the premiums or the deductible. My family and I would be insured but unable to afford treatment.

I've also see McCain's positions on global warming, Bush's tax cuts, special interests, abortion, Supreme Court judges and gay marriage. As a matter of fact, McCain's has positions for and against these issues.

I'm not saying that Obama will be the answer for this country's problems. I don't know if he will, but Shrillary Clinton's time was during the 90's when she and Bill were president. John McCain's time was early 2000, but he was beaten by Bush. My point is Obama is the future. This country is headed in a different direction. Whether some of the Clinton supporters like it or not, Shrillary had her chance and she blew it. It's not the fault of the media, the DNC, superdelegates, or men. It's her fault. And the sooner she starts to realize that, the sooner the Democratic party can start to reconcile.

Posted by: Monique | May 21, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Gee...When did clingon start talking about voters being disenfranchised in MI and FL? Surely some time AFTER the MI primary, on the eve of which she said that it was clear the vote didn't count for anything?

As a Michigan voter, the only person responsible for my disenfranchisement is clingon herself. Had she not left her name on the ballot and caused all of this stir, my state's vote would have been null, rather than unrepresentative.

She makes a mockery of democracy and rules she agreed to at every turn, proclaiming that she's fighting for votes to be counted.

History will not treat her kindly. She'll be a cautionary tale in political science textbooks for centuries.

Posted by: duh | May 21, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

The whole world is watching us, and watching the Clintons. Do they still plan to steal the nomination from the person who won it fair and square? Does anyone believe the lie the Clintons repeat--that she has the popular votes?
1. Hillary dicounts the votes from many caucus states where Obama won.
2. Gives herself all the votes from Michigan and he no votes, where his name did not even appear, etc.
3. Then REPEATS to her supporters that she has the popular votes, so inciting them against the up-start young(er) (Black) (male) candidate who has dared to take her entitled dynastic claim away from her (and from the older white women who have sacrificed for millenia against sexism).
She is deliberately inciting a rebellion within the party to destroy Obama's and the Party's chances to win in November. The hatred coming from her supporters who will vote for McCain who will give us a Supreme Court that will overthrow pro-choice, pro-women rights (see Geraldine Ferraro) is all being stirred by her. As a feminist I see how Hillary's insane lust for power is also destroying feminism's power and will be written in the history books as part of the decline of our beloved republic.

Posted by: shirl | May 21, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Monique:

Since I (and 99% of Americans at the time) were all for Japan being "obliterated" after Pearl Harbor, I don't think that ANY President should take that option off the table. Not sure if I can answer the rest of your questions though. I certainly cannot pretend to know what goes on in the minds of Clinton supporters -- I think some of them honestly believe she would make a better President than Obama would -- BTW: didn't you get the memo about NOT calling them all "racists" yet?

Posted by: JakeD | May 21, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

MRt wrote:

"Turns out that there was a free rock concert by a Portland based band before Obama got there. This band got rave reviews from Rolling Stones which I'm sure is why so many young people showed up.

Isn't it funny that the mainstream media didn't report it. LOL!!! What a bunch of frauds. It is all a hype, his whole campaign."

Um, dude, the band (The Decemberists) that played before Obama came on was UNANNOUNCED! I was there dude, I live in Portland, and trust me, people weren't lined up for blocks and blocks to see a rock band. You're the fraud. Get your facts straight and stop spewing spin and lies.

Posted by: um, dude, your shoes are untied | May 21, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

JakeD:

If they are not racist, why don't they face the FACTS. Look at the entirety of the Clinton campaign from start to where they are now. Yes, only she was on the ballot in FL and MI-do you honestly think it's fair that only she be credited with votes and delegates? Don't you remember that she (along with the other 8 or so then Democratic challengers) sign an agreement not to campaign in those states because they moved up their primary dates. Can't she agree to a fair apportionment of delegates? And you don't have a problem with her using sexism and racism to solicit votes? You honestly don't have a problem with her wanting to 'Obliterate Iran'-whether she said it for affect or not? Does she want to win that badly that she'll do or say anything? And her campaign debt of almost $31 million? How does that bode for how she'd get the economy back in shape if she's president? You don't have a problem with that? And speaking of that-what about the list of donors to President Clinton's library? You have no interest in knowing who's on it? I'd like more transparency from the Clintons. I can deal with Obama's loony preacher and even Ayers-those are transient associates. I can't say the same about Shrillary or Bill Clinton.

Posted by: Monique | May 21, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Larrieu:

I completely agree that the "BEST" person should be the only criteria upon which we cast our vote.

Posted by: JakeD | May 21, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Monique:

What if they are NOT racist? Also, if Florida and Michigan are counted, she IS in the lead with the total popular vote. While the delegate-count is what matters to determine the nomination, "electibility" does depend on the popular vote and, more importantly, the Electoral College vote in States like FL, OH, PA ...

Posted by: JakeD | May 21, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I have read all of the comments made concerning the Clinton-Obama primary. Some of them are very well though out and some of them are just plain IGNORANT. To not vote for someone just because of their color (5/19/08 Chicago Tribune)is simply ridiculous. Black people have voted for Whites since they received the vote. They look to find the best candidate and they vote accordingly. The best candidate is Barak Obama. I am from Kentucky so I know the culture. They are a bunch of racists and I was not surprised by the vote. If Hillary Clinton doesn't get the nomination, they will vote republican. If this country cannot get away from the issue of race in the 21st Century, what are we coming to as a nation. The last SUPER POWER. Let's show the world, let's lead by example. The "BEST" person should win the nomination and that should be the only criteria upon which we cast our vote.

Larrieu

Posted by: Larrieu | May 21, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

As an American, I'd respect all the 'Obama' haters if they'd just come out and say they are not voting for Obama because he's black. Stop using the lame excuse: 1 He's unelectable;
2 Shrillary's ahead in the popular vote (she's not)
3 She's won the big state that really count (TX, NY, FL, OH, PA...).

IF you're a racist, at least be proud of it. Don't hide behind your cowardly excuses!

I'm voting for Obama because he's the best qualified candidate. And I'm proud to say it.

Posted by: Monique | May 21, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I see JakeD is spinning his usual direction... "Obama bad". Why would he, of all people, try to warn the Democrats that "Obama can't beat McCain"? Seems like that result would suit Jake fine...so perhaps Jake's REAL concern is that Obama CAN beat McCain. Repudiation of Bushish is more important to our nation than a partisan victory for either side. I'm one Republican who will be voting for Senator Obama in November. I'd have been more reluctant to vote for Mrs Clinton, but I might even have voted for her, were she the nominee running against "Bush III" McCain.

Posted by: Iconoblaster | May 21, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Alice:

1) MITT Romney.

2) Because I enjoy teaching little-known facts (for instance, did you know that MITT is Romney's middle name?).

Posted by: JakeD | May 21, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

To JakeD,

If either candidate objects to the May 31 decision by the Rules and Bylaws Committee, that won't matter unless whoever objects submits an appeal.

If Sen. Clinton appeals the May 31 decision by the Rules and Bylaws Committee, keep in mind that the Credentials Committee won't be meeting to address her appeal until August.

By June, Sen. Obama will most likely gain the required number of superdelegates (as determined on May 31 by the RBC)to become the Democratic Party presumptive nominee. That means that by the time the Credentials Committee meets, Sen. Obama will have been the Democratic Party presumptive nominee for 3 months, campaigning against Sen. McCain.

Sen. Clinton can either (#1)accept the May 31 decision and begin to campaign for Sen. Obama as she has promised to do, or (#2)she can appeal the May 31 decision to the Credentials Committee that meets in August and hope for a new pledged delegate accounting and a superdelegate turnabout at the convention.

Scenario (#1) is the far more likely scenario, because if Sen. Clinton chooses Scenario (#2), it's EXTREMELY unlikely she'll be successful, since Sen. Obama will have been the presumptive nominee already for 3 months. Plus, the Credentials Committee is weighted toward Obama supporters (whereas the Rules and Bylaws Committee is weighted toward Clinton supporters). And most importantly, it's very clear that Sen. Clinton would not have support for an appeal within the Democratic Party.

Unfortunately for the Clinton campaign, the rules for the DNC will not be decided by Sen. Clinton alone, or allowed to be changed to fit the changing needs of her campaign. Her argument for how Michigan and Florida should be counted will not stand. Sen. Clinton agreed to the original rules in the first place - to disqualify Florida and Michigan for moving up their primaries. If Sen. Clinton had not agreed, Sen. Obama never would have taken his name off the ballot in Michigan, of course. Everyone knows that, so Sen. Clinton's argument that Obama should be given 0 delegates in Michigan, while she should be given 73, is just nonsense. She will be granted some sort of compromise, but it won't give her enough pledged delegates to attract the supers she needs to get the edge on Sen. Obama.

JakeD, 2 questions: Who do you want to be president, and WHY do you always capitalize Sen. Obama's middle name?

Posted by: Alice | May 21, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Blacks have historically been disenfranchised by whites. Isn't it something to see a black politician disallowing votes. Eight years ago it was the Democrats who were crying foul. Look at them now. How disgusting. Barack chose to take his name off the ballots. And who cares if the party is being fair to him. The party should represent the interests of their constituency. I am really interested in seeing how Obama and the DNC try to convince Florida and Michigan voters to support Barack in the general election.

I'm not voting for him.

Posted by: David | May 21, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

It seems, to me at least, like buyer's remorse regarding Barack HUSSEIN Obama is setting in.

Oregon: Obama wins 21 delegates; Clinton wins 14 delegates.

Kentucky: Obama wins 14 delegates; Clinton wins 37 delegates.

So, in month since Rev. Wright and the "bitter" comment, she has won 242 delegates to his 217.

As expected, Obama in Oregon, won the latte-sipping liberals in the major cities and surrounding counties and lost most of the rest of the state. All of those caucus victories in the early elections have put him in the lead, but what good does he do by winning delegates in traditionally Red States? Other than Colorado and Iowa, which Red States does Obama have a realistic chance of winning vs. McCain?

Posted by: JakeD | May 21, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

LAMM01:

To be fair, all of those stories came after the presses had run. When I left, all the "Hillary Wins Kentucky" stories were the top headlines. If all of today's new threads are "Obama", "Obama", "Obama" then I would agree with you.

Posted by: JakeD | May 21, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Let's see... Your headlines are.. Obama wins majority... Obama wins Oregon... Obama plays to large crowds... Nothing about how he was once again blown out of the water by white voters rejecting him in large numbers.... Doesn't the media get it that white voters, women and hispanics are telling you that the guy doesn't have a chance in November.. Why do you keep trying to shove him down our throats... You have known for sometime that he is one of the weakest candidates to ever run for the presidential office, yet you continue to spout your nonsense day in and day out.

Posted by: LAMM01 | May 21, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Again, congrats to Barack HUSSEIN Obama for winning Oregon by 94,668 votes. But, "pledged delegate majority" does not mean he is the presumptive nominee. In fact, a better case could be made that Hillary DIANE Clinton has passed more relevant threshholds. She won Kentucky by 249,224 votes yesterday. That means she retains the lead in TOTAL POPULAR VOTES. If Florida and Michigan are counted, she has a lead of 181,523 actual votes cast and certified. Even if you make an educated "estimate" the 4 caucus States w/o certified totals (IA, NV, ME, WA), she still has a lead of 71,301.

In addition, all the Electoral College polling shows her beating McCain while McCain beats Obama head-to-head:

So (other than for "Party Unity") why, exactly, should she get out before the Convention floor vote?

Posted by: JakeD | May 21, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Shawm:

What are you going to do IF he is not sworn as PRSIDENT [sic] on January 20, 2009?

Posted by: JakeD | May 21, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

To All OBAMA HATERS,

GET USED TO THE TERM PRSIDENT OBAMA OR JUST GET OUT OF THIS COUNTRY!!

OBAMA WEBB 08

Posted by: Shawm | May 21, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Alice:

If either candidate objects to the decision made on May 31st, then the Credentials Committee will take the issue up -- that's the real test -- BROKERED CONVENTION, here we come!!!

Posted by: JakeD | May 21, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Hillary Clinton is the champion of the democratic processes....while Obama takes his corporate $$$$ to try to buy the White House.... HE IS NOT ELECTABLE. Period. The END.

FLA and Michigan votes must be counted, as cast...no splitting, etc! These are their votes, and the Dem party supposedly stands for inclusion....well we are watching!!!

The DNC 'rules'???? What about conflict of interest?

One of the proud rule-makers and defenders of the rules, one Donna Brazille...sits on CNN with her smirky declarations that the "rules are the rules"! This is OK with the DNC? How many salaries is this woman making..DNC, CNN,and Obama ?????? WOW!

The DNC is on the verge of an implosion, big time, if democracy is compromised in ANY way!

ELECTABILITY: Clinton or Mc Cain in November.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Obama 08!

After the Rules and Bylaws Committee meets on May 31, the Michigan/Florida spin will be over. In every conceivable Michigan/Florida scenario, Sen. Obama still will have the majority of elected delegates, unless he receives 0 delegates from Michigan. That won't happen.

For anyone who might be interested, Dem Party rules say that the Rules and Bylaws Committee meetings must be open to the public, which means that reporters will be at the meeting on May 31; and the meeting might even be televised.

If it is, I know I'll be watching!

Posted by: Alice | May 21, 2008 5:02 AM | Report abuse

you know, mr. obama faced challenges about whether he was popular in small towns.

and then he got a small town of 75,000 to hear one of his speeches.

Posted by: anticlimacus | May 21, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Obama is the nominee. Hillary will not be the VP nominee in 2008. Hillary is helping McCain, who despite it all CAN win! This is not about you Hillary. If you cost the party the election, it will be remembered.

Posted by: gmundenat | May 21, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Clinton should have won! I really wanted a woman President! Everyone who didn't vote for Hillary hates women!

So now I'm going to have a tantrum and vote for McCain - that way he can help overturn Roe v. Wade, continue his lack of support for equal pay for equal work, and bomb bomb Iran. Ha ha - screw you younger women!

Posted by: Boo Hoo | May 21, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Whatever!

Just remember to call him:

President Obama.

Posted by: sally | May 21, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

OBAMA IS SCAREY TO WHITES, FEMALES AND CATHOLICS.

80% OF AMERICANS ARE AFRAID OF OBAMA.

AREN'T WE AT WAR WITH THOSE GUYS?

Posted by: GRACE | May 21, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

OBAMA PAID DELEGATES MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO ENDORSE HIM. IT WASN'T JUST BECAUSE HE IS COOL.

THE KARL ROVE STRATEGY WAS DESIGNED SO OBAMA WOULD WIN THE NOMINATION AND LOSE TO MCCAIN IN NOVEMBER.

REPUBLICANS ARE LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK.

Posted by: Grace | May 21, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Ah, Susan, let us call things by their real names. She is the murderess, mass murderess, actually, together with her other "exquisite" qualities. Horrifying creature. But somehow she is still on the top. I am really and truly tired to watch this bloody ---- still on top.

Posted by: aepelbaum | May 21, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Perfection, women won't vote for this ticket. And they made together with convinced by them men this needed majority. I am watching these victories of clinton in Kentucky and WV and becoming really afraid of this force.

Posted by: aepelbaum | May 21, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

You asked, " But why is Hillary still around then?

She is a "Buzzard."

And for that reason, she cannot be his VP.

She will do absolutely ANYTHING to win.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

I really though that richardson would be the best, but with this unexpected women's crazyness, and this fear of White women it is becoming really idiotic. Women's fear is the most real force in the modern politics. I saw and experience the fear of Black women on me-myself. Now he is experiencing the fear of white women. He, sure, needs to do something to pacify it. Yes, sibelius , probably, is a good idea!

Posted by: aepelbaum | May 21, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Susan, Sibelius would be nice. At least, these actively paranoid Clinton's supporters would stop crying, "Sexism!!" Clinton can't win only because she is a woman. She is the terrible woman. She is not fit White House whatsoever. Sibelius would, probably, pacify this crazyness.

Posted by: aepelbaum | May 21, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

OBAMA WEBB 08

Posted by: perfection | May 21, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Hillary just wanted to Puerto Rico real bad?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Hillary just wanted visit Puerto Rico real bad?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

susan, you are thinking in a demographic block. Obama needs old white guy cred with an emphasis on foreign policy. I a war, gonna need a Cheney to help guide our otherwise solid candidate.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | May 21, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Aaaahh Sebelius, Susan? =) You get the nod!

Posted by: Obama2008 | May 20, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Great Job Oregan

70 delegates Victory OBAMA
244 Clinton
86 Elected 212 Super Delegates Left

Go OBAMA

Posted by: Delegate Math | May 20, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Yes, susan, they would. however, I do not trust either Hillary, ot her persistent presence in this race. She should not be his VP. she should not, and he won't pick her. But why is she still around then?

Posted by: aepelbaum | May 20, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

He should not pick hillary as VP, as it would be suicidal mistake; and he knows it. so, what is REALLY going on? I do not want to just relax. I want to know whether you and/or other plan to see hillary , as his VP. I do not want to see it. I like Obama and i do not want him to be the exactly same person , as Hillary is . I also do not want him to be dead, what he would if she is VP. Under current circumstances it is nothing to berelaxed about. Great pity and great sorrow!

Posted by: aepelbaum | May 20, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@@@@@@@@@@@ OBAMA - LEAHEY '08 @@@@@@@@@

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | May 20, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

"why is he behavin, like he is already campaigning against Mccain when she is still in the race?"

She has already lost. She knows she cannot overcome the math. Even with Michigan and Florida, she still loses. So, it makes sense for him to focus his time and money on the general. McBush has gotten a free ride so far. That is coming to an end now. In the end, I feel people will do the right thing and vote for him in the general, even in these "landslide" states.

Posted by: Susan | May 20, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I'd like to see him choose the Governor from Kansas... =)

Posted by: Susan | May 20, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

susan, i do not like what is going on. He is barely winning Oregon. the margin is almost like hers in Indiana. He lost Wv and Kentucky with a huge landslide. He used to win with such landslide, not to lose. Remember? Why can't he win Puerto Rico? why is he behavin, like he is already campaigning against Mccain when she is still in the race? What is really going on?

Posted by: aepelbaum | May 20, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Obama beats McCain in KY new poll

actual McCain everthing but the South we are so sick of the GOP and have BUSH RAGE

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

aepelbaum:

Relax. It's alright. We're still in the voting process =) We still have states to get results from. Michigan and Florida will be settled after the meeting on the 31st and I look forward to a fair settling, especially with Michigan but don't worry they'll be counted =) Just calm down. He's just making his speech acknowledging how far he's come with support, like how Hillary celebrates ahead while knowing that she's going to win states. Just relax, and take a deep breath. It's alright =)

Posted by: Obama2008 | May 20, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Obama choose a female veep, not gonna lie.

Posted by: Susan | May 20, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

aepelbaum: I predict Obama will win two of the remaining three contests. He will lose in Puerto Rico. Again though, once he starts the general in earnest, his positive ratings will skyrocket. Enough people are not happy with repukes this year. They will get steamrolled!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Susan,why is he losing now? Whom do you thing is he going to choose as VP? I think =richardson. what do you think?

Posted by: aepelbaum | May 20, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

I really feel myself lost now. this story is not good. Why didn't Obama campaign in Kentucky? what is going to hapen to Puero Rico? What is going to happen to this persistant questions about michigan and florida. why is Obama campaigning already against Mccain, while losing to Hillary state after state with landslide? I do not like it, not at all!

Posted by: aepelbaum | May 20, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Obama loses in state the college grads move out of.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

aepelbaum: I understand your trepidation about Obama. However, I also believe when Clinton exits the race and Obama picks his vice, his positive ratings will skyrocket!

Posted by: Susan | May 20, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Good going, Oregon! Finally someone I can feel GOOD about voting for in the general.

Posted by: Mark | May 20, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

May the Project For A NeoMcCarthyism-Free America be with you.

Posted by: patrick | May 20, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I do not like what is going on. Obama didn't get nomination yet. so, why is he losing with such landslide and win with sich slim margin? I do not like it, do not at all!

Posted by: aepelbaum | May 20, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations Senator Obama! Keep going, shake the haters off! Obama 08!!

Posted by: Susan | May 20, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

WE'VE GOT OREGON FOLKS!!!

Thank you Oregon!!!

%59 Obama
%41 Clinton

WOOOHOOO!! Go Obama!!!

Congratulations Hillary. Thank you Kentucky!

Go Obama!! =)! Supporters celebrate!

Posted by: Obama2008 | May 20, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Countdown to Victory early update
65 to 2025 Obama with 30 OR
244 to 2025 Clinton with OR
Delegate Majority + 30 min OR

1930 of 2025 Obama 1625 Elected + OR of 3036

FL Michigan will count for 50% to 60% based on new deal. Several Supers pledged to back elected delegate winner.

GO OBAMA

Posted by: Delegate Math | May 20, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

He can keep his wet dream alive until Nov.2

Posted by: God Father | May 20, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Majority? How many is majority? Does that include Mich and FL? Does this mean anything at all in GE? When Ted Kennedy got sick, he was "heart broken"...because? If the man dies or retires, all his boot-licking efforts would be wasted and he will need a new master to keep him running. So sad need a good weep , eh? Obama the sycophant.

Posted by: God Father | May 20, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Well if Obomber does for the country what he did for Illinois, you won't have to worry to much because he didn't do to much.

Posted by: ZarDotz | May 20, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

MRt...what was the name of the band?

Posted by: Jack | May 20, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeh Scottie PLEASE beam him up.
Good riddance!

Posted by: take out the trash | May 20, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

LOL! :-D

"Barry's" "Change"

From Every VOTE should COUNT, to;

"We will compete for every delegate available".

He should add: Delegates for ME!(Obasama)

True Libbie Fashion, All the Delegates, as long as they are Delegates I want! ;~)

Folks, congratulations on possibly chosing the WORST three Choices Imaginable to lead this Country!

Pass around the Kool-Aid, and Chug it Down!

Your KILLING US ALL! :-(

At this rate, I don't know if the Election in November is even likely to matter to me!

The Lousy Choices do NOT a glimmer of Hope, inspire!

Dumbest stunt ever imagined! Selecting our President from a Congress with an 11% Approval!

Scotty me Boy,

BEAM ME UP!

Posted by: RAT-The | May 20, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Hats off to Obama for reaching the milestone of the majority of pledged delegates! Certainly, he has weathered the storm and has come out on top.

Despite the Media helping Hillary to spin her tall tales, the people have spoken. Anyone who have set records in all areas, pledged delegates, number of states won, amount of funds raised, deserves our support as he drives towards leading the Democrats to victory in November.

My prayers are with Obama as he continues his drive against all odds. May God bless
the Obama family, and God bless America for living up to the best of what we believe.

May Hillary find the peace she seeks as she continues with her campaign. It is my hope that she would think of the party and the majority of the people who have spoken and find it in her heart to take the high road and unite behind the Democratic nominee!

Posted by: Rose in Atlanta | May 20, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Not bad for a complete fraud.

Posted by: muskrat | May 20, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

If the DNC Rules Committee seats at least some of the pledged delegates from Florida and Michigan, this claim of a majority does not hold up, does it?

Posted by: Words of Wisdom | May 20, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Every democracy deserves the leader they elect!

That Americans will forget about their Health Care,their mortgages,their pocket books,their gas bills or Education for their Children and vote against Jerimiah wright's sermon or Obama's mis speak about frustrateed Americans in rural America is UNFORTUNATE.....

Posted by: red27 | May 20, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

oh look, Obama finally stopped pretending he's the nominee...LOL! There's nothing like a can of whoop ass from KY and WV to take the hot air out of your balloon and bring you back down to earth. It ain't over till the voting takes place at the convention and that's when he'll lose...he can go back to getting more experience and then he can earn his way to the Presidency; not have the media and a bunch of star struck kids hand it to him on a silver platter.

Posted by: itaintoveryet | May 20, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations. Onward and upward. I've already got the bumper sticker. Where can I get my yard sign?

Posted by: Sara B. | May 20, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Bush/McCain FEAR talking to our enemies. Conversely, Obama has the COURAGE to talk to our adversaries. Great concept!

After the fiasco of Bush/McCain tag teaming Obama on this issue and blowing it, what does he have left to run on? The economy????

Great speech.

Congratulations Hillary people on your win in Kentucky. I can clearly see we're going to need your help in the fall.

Posted by: aBigSAM | May 20, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

LOL! Found this article about the supposed 75,000 people rally that Obama had in Portland.

I know I probably would have stayed there just to see the toad even if I wasn't voting for him.

Posted by: MRt | May 20, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations Barack! You ran a splendid campaign - well organized from start to finish. I am proud to be a supporter from Day One. And I will be so very happy to have you representing our Nation to the World, with honor, dignity and the moral high ground that has been eroded by recent administrations.
Beginning in January 2009 we will show Bush/Cheney the door and shout for joy -
AMERICA IS BACK!

Posted by: Joyce | May 20, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Alright Obama!!! WOOOHOOO

C'mon Oregon!! Lets have your results!

Congrats to Hillary. Thank you Kentucky.

Thank you Iowa!!

From Kansas

Posted by: Obama2008 | May 20, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

> It's unbelievable the crap that some people
> post on this site...he's a muslim, he hates
> America, blah, blah, blah.

I couldn't agree more. And it goes both ways (surely Hillary's arguments are not "all lies and spin")

Here's to hoping that most of us really want the country and world to improve, and will begin to realize that the vitriol is not helpful.

Posted by: Civil Public Discourse | May 20, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

It's unbelievable the crap that some people post on this site...he's a muslim, he hates America, blah, blah, blah.

Posted by: Unbelievable | May 20, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I think it is absurd that the media allows themselves to be bullied by the Clinton campaign. Obama has won the elected delegate vote and that is the end. If supers were to overturn the will of the people, the Democratic party would suffer permanent injury. The whole world outside of a handful of zealots understands that the race is over. The media is too timid to call it as it is and is allowing Hillary to grandstand, fillabuster, etc. all for the good of herself at the expense of the country and the Democratic party. Her arguments are lies and spin and the media does itself a disservice by caving in.

Posted by: Peter | May 20, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Extraordinary speech just finished by Obama in Des Moines.

We are watching the world change.

Now is the time to devote our time and energies to the general election.

Now it's time to address the "change that we deserve" that the GOP has been spouting, while we have been distracted by the primary debate.

Now it's time for Obama '08 to begin full power, full steam and in earnest, and for each of us to put our full energy behind the effort.

If you haven't been able to get to an Obama rally, or have, and want to take it with you, you can get the entire Obama rally setlist--all the way from U2's "City of Blinding Lights", to which Obama takes the stage, to the Obama victory anthem "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" at ITunes, here:

Posted by: Cara Prado | May 20, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

So is Obama attempting to say that the superdelegates should be marginalized???

Doesn't make much sense given the reality of the fact that Obama still needs their votes.

This is just another example of how Obama and his campaign are on Planet O.

Posted by: Words of Wisdom | May 20, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, Democratic Party Presidential Nominee, Senator Barack Obama!

Posted by: Kevin Schmidt | May 20, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Well, Obama played his race card again tonight! Let's see how far it gets him this time. I'm frankly tired of it! He is a snivelling person that is grasping at straws to bring anything he can get together.

Frankly, after Wright, he sounds like a pathetic idiot! The MSM will keep trying to prop up his dying candidacy, but he is toast. We know he is a racist that hates America and, lest we forget, the RNC will remind us.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

congrats... you earned it big guy. You have survived everything that monstros bullet dodger threw at you. Her skirt clinger will come around, they got no where to go with McGoo promising 3 more doubting Thomases on the Supreme Court.

Posted by: pubichaironmycokecan | May 20, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse