Republicans Give Mixed Reasons for Obama Votes

By Peter Slevin
GRANGER, Ind. -- Voters make their choices for all kinds of reasons, then leave it to the analysts to figure out what it means.

At the Harris Township Fire Department, Sen. Barack Obama picked up votes from some Republicans who may support him in November and one who almost certainly will not.

That would be Mark Maglioa, 48, whose vote for the Illinois senator was purely strategic.

Maglioa said Obama has been speaking with a "forked tongue" about his history with the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr., the longtime leader of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ.

Wright performed Obama's marriage and baptized his two daughters. One of his sermons inspired the talismanic title of Obama's most recent memoir, "The Audacity of Hope."

"For 20 years, he was an inspired member of that church, and then the dirty laundry got pulled out on the clothes line," said Magioa, who was unimpressed when Obama broke with Wright last week, following a series of Wright statements about the AIDS virus, U.S. foreign policy and the wisdom of Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan that Obama denounced as "rants."

Yet Maglioa voted for Obama.

"Barack Hussein Obama," Maglioa said, using the middle name that Obama does not use professionally. Of Sen. Hillary Clinton, he said with grudging admiration, "I just feel like she won't fold under pressure."

Anne Watson, 30, typically votes Republican but saw no point this time, now that McCain has wrapped up the nomination.

Yet she said it was important to her that the November ballot have what she called "the right Democrat, somebody who has my values and morals. After a lot of thought, I decided on Obama."

She does not yet know whom she would choose in November, but she likes Obama's decision not to take campaign contributions from political action committees: "He makes up his own mind." She felt the debate over Wright and former Weather Underground member Bill Ayers, an Obama acquaintance, was "blown out of proportion."

Jim Ballard is a 41-year-old police officer in Elkhart who did not make up his mind until last week, after Clinton and Obama had campaigned nearby. He said he would consider voting for McCain in November, depending in large part on McCain's vice presidential choice -- but he has a good feeling about Obama.

His reasons would warm the hearts of Obama and his strategists, who made a conscious decision in late April to stage smaller and more personal events -- in a horse barn, a senior center, a steel factory -- where they hoped Obama would come across less as a political rock star and more as a thoughtful listener.

"Barack seems to be hitting the smaller towns and talking to the people. And he makes you feel like you're part of the process," Ballard said, as he climbed aboard his Harley Davidson after casting his ballot. "One of the things that was said was he looked people in the eye and Hillary didn't. That's big for me, as a police officer."

By Web Politics Editor  |  May 6, 2008; 7:32 PM ET
Categories:  Primaries
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Voter ID Law Consequences Mild in Ind.
Next: Win Met with Silence at Obama N.C. HQ

Comments

Beware voters in west virginia , the train is about to leave the station and you better be on it.

Posted by: joseph marcucilli | May 10, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

It just goes to show you that just because you reach "adulthood" some of us still carry negative thinking that was taught to us either by our parents, our communities, our churches or the ongoing media bias. We are living in dangerous times; hunger/starvation, gas price hikes, global warming and all the guy who wrote above can think about somebody's name? You're less than an idiot. I won't call you a name because you don't deserve one! Maybe, you're bitter!

Posted by: change | May 9, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

There is only one reason the GOP prefers to run against Obama: they like Cheney.
Doesn't make sense? It will....

Posted by: Zod | May 8, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

yeah , they are all the same aren't they sinz52 ? Why don't you just join the KKK and get it over with if you are not already a card carrying member . I would take just about any body no matter the gender or color over this lunatic currently in the White House who by all accounts will go down as the worst president in the history of the USA and the biggest disaster this country has ever known .

Posted by: Ryan | May 8, 2008 1:31 AM | Report abuse

It will be with great pleasure watching and listening to all of you pea brained bigots and racists when Barack Obama becomes your President which is all but inevitable now . LOL ! Happy days !

Posted by: Ray | May 8, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Two words: Crown Heights.

I'm of the older generation of white people, the same age as Reverend Wright. But on the opposite side of the fence.

We white folks also have some memories: Memories of Malcolm X, Stokely Carmichael, H. Rap Brown, the Black Panthers, Joanne Chesimard, and Farrakhan. Memories of the Watts riots, the Detroit riots, the Los Angeles riots and the Crown Heights riots. Memories of virulent anti-Semitism among militant blacks.

I have no problem with black people serving in high office. I wanted Colin Powell to run for President in 1996. I was glad to see Condi Rice become National Security Adviser in 2001.

But after 50 years of black militancy and violence, I think I have had just about enough of this "black rage" schtick. I've had enough of Black Liberation Theology and Black Separatism. I've had enough of politicians like Al Sharpton and Barack Obama who flirt with it. I've had enough.

And I've had enough of Obama.

I won't vote for him if you paid me.

Too many bad memories.

Posted by: sinz52 | May 7, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

. wrote: "Just think about it, The president of the United States of America Barack Hussein Obama..... Just say that over and over and see what you think. You call yourself and american voting for a name like that?"

WOW! We're voting for 'names' now for president of the United States? if this isn't the most short-sighted thing i've read in these blogs over the last few days i don't know what is. there's a name for the condition you're suffering from and its called xenophobia.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 7, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

What a waste of energy to write this article. You pick up some anomalous person and make them look like they're indicative of some trend. All week the conversation was about how much Republicans would give Clinton a lift. Now that Obama overcame this it is because Republicans gave HIM a lift. Ridiculous. Guess what, maybe yesterday had very little to do with Republicans and had a whole lot to do with community organizing, voter registration, progressive politics around labor and foreign policy issues, and with George Bush having finally revealed what interests Republican politicians serve, therefor destroying the party. Sorry Republicans, this win had very little to do with your own actions. It's not always about you.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 7, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I got me a McSame as Bush.

Posted by: Julie | May 7, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry I have been sending info to the Muslim news letting them know the RACIST GOP against arabic names.

Posted by: Agadi | May 7, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

MAN, that "white boy from iowa" is one scary SOB!

He put his whole address on here.

I don't believe I'd F'k with him.

Posted by: White Boy from CA | May 7, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I got me an Obasama sticker on my Truk.

You idiot.

Posted by: RAT-the-Retard | May 7, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

1 pointless vote...

Posted by: RF | May 7, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Son of Liberty, couldn't have said it better myself. I also am voting for Barack Obama. Where is the news coverage of last night's election? Obama slam dunked in North Carolina, almost won in Indiana, even with the media attacks, and with simpletons like some of the people on this blog voting for Hillary as the "great white hope".
Hillary, the "messenger for the poor and those oppressed by elitists", just loaned her campaign another 6 million dollars. I am one of the "latte drinking hypnotized" that support Barack. After I check my budget, I plan to contribute another $25.00 to his campaign.

Posted by: Lynn from Minneapolis | May 7, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

The cable news media, Right-wing extremists, Reverend Wright, Hillary Clinton, John McCain and public opinion has attacked Barack, his character, his integrity, and his moral fiber for the last two months. He took the blows and on many occasions, turned the other cheek and you called him weak...Yet he stands...

I'm sure you've all heard this saying..."The true measure of a man is NOT how he handles the good times but how he handles the bad"...

Barack Obama has been tried, tested, and proven. He epitomizes all that can be right in America.

Don't be afraid folks...its the right thing to do...

This is his moment, our moment...

America can mend with Barack at the helm...

Posted by: Calm in Alaska | May 7, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how many more people are voting this year just because theres a black president running. I bet theres people voting who never have before but sure are voting now just because.... Just think about it, The president of the United States of America Barack Hussein Obama..... Just say that over and over and see what you think. You call yourself and american voting for a name like that. And crying about the war... Dont you think the guys in the military know what there chancing when enlisting??? I hope obama does make it to november just to see him lose

Posted by: . | May 7, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I will never support Obama. He's just another politician that is trying to fool the public into believing he's something different. His association with Wright for 20 years and other issues are very concerning.

Posted by: elizabeth | May 7, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

You gotta vote for McCain.....come on, bro's before ho's.

Posted by: John Rizdale | May 7, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

YES WE CAN!!

YES WE CAN!!

I LOVE OBAMA!

Posted by: chandiga | May 7, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

If Obama's worst faults are picking the wrong pastor and living in the same neighborhood as an old hippie weatherman (unconvicted, I might add) I think he can weather any storm the rethuglicans try to dish out.

Posted by: FLO | May 7, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Last time I checked, Barack Hussein Obama wasn't named after Saddam Hussein. His father picked the middle name which in fact means 'good; small handsome one' at a time when :gasp: Saddam wasn't even in power! Get over the fact that he had a Muslim dad who gave him a Muslim middle name! Not like when he was 20 he converted to Islam and decided that Saddam Hussein was a great name to emulate. Lets forget all about the white girl from Kansas that helped give him life too... BTW I thought we lived in a country of religious freedoms where everyone was free to practice that right, AND run for President. What? Now only Christians and Atheists are allowed to run for office and only if they have a decent name?! Who cares if he has a Muslim MIDDLE name. Does that make him a terrorist? Does that make him somehow too different from Joe Smith? Hardly. I have a Jewish last name, yet I'm not Jewish. Look at the man, not his name. As a former Republican turned Independent, I will be casting my lot with Mr. Obama this November.

Posted by: Son of Liberty | May 7, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Wow. I actually read all of these comments. They started off and then went wayyy downhill.

To Dan, your post was too good for this site. It is wasted on the users here who apparently are busy arranging to meet in a motel, or barn to fight or have sex or something. As well as those "democrats" who think casting a spite vote for McCain because their horse didn't win somehow won't be the downfall of the party they claim to support.

The bottom line, people, is to go with your gut. I know when someone is disingenuous, and when someone tells the truth, even when the truth hurts.

Obama '08

Posted by: Johnny5 | May 7, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

OBAMA! 2008 YES WE CAN!

Posted by: USA | May 7, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Your election process(especially the Democratic race) has grabbed the attention of the world and the voter participation is remarkable. I only wish that our political leaders could generate the same enthusiasm up here in Canada. Like Lou Dobbs on CNN, most of our politicians are as dull as dishwater.

Posted by: the torontonian | May 7, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Lets sum this up.

Obama was an unknown, she had more name recognition than any democrat in the country, short of her husband.

He had no political favors to cash in, she and Bill had decades of backroom deals and bargains to cash in.

He had no national political machine, she had her husbands twice successful presidential machine.

She made more money last year than he's made in his lifetime. She had all the fundraising contacts, he had squat.

He's been under attack from the Republican Party, John McCain, and every Right-Wing nutball group out there, and they've all been utterly silent on her.

He's been under unprecedented bad media attention for weeks, the lowest point in his career, she's been getting praise and "she can still do it" covereage in the press.

In spite of ALL of this, he's won time and time again. He's leading her in delegates, votes, states won, caucuses won, primaries won, and he's had delegates flock to him as opposed to her by 3 to 1 for the last few months.

Now he wins a state by 15%, and he nearly ties another. He's expanded his lead on her, and she's been forced to loan her campaign more money to stay ahead of her herculean debt.

What more do you need to see to realize this guy is not only a winner, but a more powerful candidate than Clinton and McCain combined?

Posted by: SMS | May 7, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Is this discussion about Obama or about some board troll calling himself "Rat."

First things first: Inasmuch as Hillary Clinton won Indiana, she didnt do it without Rush Limbaughs help. Official tallies put her at 18,000 votes ahead of Obama, and winning 32% of Republicans in the state. Seems like Rush Limbaughs endorsement of Hillary is working out for her.

Compare that to Obama, who has an actual segment of the Republican party legitimately supporting him, as evidenced in a post above.

Now take another look at the Indiana primary. The results may look good for Clinton on paper, however not one of the superdelegates will be fooled by it. Obama is the democratic nominee, and he will be the next President of the United States.

Posted by: powindah | May 7, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone else notice that when someone from a foreign country posts here they are always in support of Obama? Gee, I wonder if all the other countries of the world just love us so much that they want us to have the best, or if they want us to have the worst candidate in history because they want us to lose our superpower status.

Obama Hussein will destroy this country and you liberal-guilt activists, as well as you immature and naive college kids, will be the real cause.

P.S. I use the name Hussein because that is his name. If he is so ashamed of it then why not change it.

Posted by: Joe | May 7, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I have to comment on this excerpt: "Why? Because as a supporter of likely Republican nominee Sen. John McCain, Maglioa aimed to help the Arizona senator by boosting the Democrat he considers the weakest November opponent."

Obviously this person doesn't listen to talk show personalities such as rush limbaugh, who has been stressing to have his republican listeners vote for Hillary Clinton. Did he do a complete 180 and switch to Barack Obama, or that guy is another NO-CLUE-REPUBLICAN?

Posted by: AndreinFL | May 7, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Hillary:
1. Misusing FBI files to coerce her husbands opponents. ( She knew what she was doing was illegal. She is a very intelligent lawyer.)
2. Masterminded the "Whitewater" incident and got away scott free because of who her hubby was. (Others were not so lucky and went to prison or died. Look it up.)
3. Stayed with her husband after his many affairs were made public and he was impeached.(I'd say that was a little dysfunctional)
4. Runs a nasty campaign. (Even to the point of tearing her party apart.)
5. Will do anything in her power to obtain power. (Now that is a real show stopper. What would she do with that power, being as cold blooded as a snake?)
Barrack Obama:
1. What a self serving reverend's words?
2. What mispoken words in one speach?
3. Try's to run a decent capaign against a snake who does not hold back anything.

I have never in my life voted Democratic, but this time, for this man (Obama), I am.

Posted by: Cobra | May 7, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

The name Hussein does not bestow on its holders any automatic mythical characteristics. There were many serial killers that were named Ted, Sam, Paul and Jack. But I do not see people with those same names running around under the burden of negativity. People should restrain themselves from this obviously juvenile tactic of 'name-calling'. In this context they are emphasizing and associating the legacy of Saddam Hussein to one who has nothing to do with him, rather than merely addressing him by his given names. The intent is childlike and spiteful. Clearly it was not intelligent thinking on the part of the electorate that brought Bush into office, let's be more intelligent this time around.

Posted by: rudi | May 7, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Where is Rev Wright when you need him???

Posted by: kay | May 7, 2008 7:36 AM | Report abuse

For those people who think Obama is weak and cannot stand aginst McCainn, wait, you will surprise youreselves. Aweak man does not achiev what Obama has achived. I personally cant wait to watch debates between these two because they will at least be about policies, which is much more rlevant and indeed more interesting.

Posted by: Margaret London | May 7, 2008 5:28 AM | Report abuse

People go to church to pray. Yes it is preferable to have assicites of the samwe ilk, stand in life but if you live in a democracy, you can easily accommodate other peoples vioews, it does not mean you necessarily believe them. I think it is people like Wright that made Obama think to go right above this race thing to try and help resolve this anger and hatred that racism breeds.Obama is fine. Great president he will be not just for America but for the world. We need peolle like these now, greedy politicians have cause enough damage, peopl who lie for the sake of attaining office have had their go! lates try a different approach! The world is in bad shape! CONGRATULATIONS OBAMA. KEEP IT UP.

Posted by: margaret | May 7, 2008 5:26 AM | Report abuse

Hussein, Ali, Mohammed, Zakariya...all these names sound better than stinking BUSH!

Posted by: Rowan | May 7, 2008 5:25 AM | Report abuse

Yet, they call him an elitist for saying they are bitter. He was specifically referring to those haters in smalltown america who wouldnt vote for him anyway, he wasn't refering to we the reasonable religious gun loving americans in smalltown. Rev Wright said it best. ARABIC is not a religion it is a language just as ENGLISH. HUSSIEN is good arabic name. Not all English speaking people are Christian. You OBAMA hater make Rev. Wright look like genius.

Posted by: George washinton | May 7, 2008 5:15 AM | Report abuse

Who's been running Washington so poorly?

Blame Bush?
Blame Clinton?
Blame McCain!

Posted by: eljefejesus | May 7, 2008 5:00 AM | Report abuse

In English, haiku are written in three lines to equate to the three parts of a haiku in Japanese that traditionally consist of five, seven, and then five on (the Japanese count sounds, not syllables; for example, the word "haiku" itself counts as three sounds in Japanese (ha-i-ku), but two syllables in English (hai-ku), and writing seventeen syllables in English produces a poem that is actually quite a bit longer, with more content, than a haiku in Japanese). The kireji (cutting word or pause) usually read at the end of either the first or second line. A haiku traditionally contains a kigo (season word) which symbolizes or intimates the season in which the poem is set with some reference to the natural world.

Posted by: eljefejesus | May 7, 2008 4:51 AM | Report abuse

-------Obama declared-------
--Democrat contest victor?--
-----This Summer he won-----

Posted by: eljefejesus | May 7, 2008 4:48 AM | Report abuse

This is not a direct response, but a general one.

As an American abroad in a country where people have no rights, no religion, no freedom it is amazing to me that Americans continue to go about the political process with an school yard mentalty.

Everyone on this list are obviously informed and concerned people, but why name call fellow Americans.

There is more at stake than we all bargin for. For all we think we have, we are losing more every single line of your emails. We remain the most unhealthy and undereducated Western developed despite how much gas we gussle. Our infant morality rate is equal to El Salvador. Maybe we spend so much time having media distract our attention and what should be anger at all that is going on around us. People die in emergency rooms because they are broke - they are not black, white, hispanic or muslim. They lost their jobs just like many more will and cant afford 12K a year per person to insure themsleves against heart attacks and cancer. And just this week over 10,000 people lost their high paying banking jobs. Thats 10,000 less people able to support social security for our parents. Thats 10,000 people who probably never thought they would be at risk of being uninsured or losing their house. The dollar is now a joke and no one but Disney is laughing. Our depedence on the rest of the world was sealed a very long time ago and it is sadly unlikely that any 8yr term will be able to completely reverse that.

If we replaced half of named individuals with he term "American" and translated it all into Arabic we would have waterboarded or have wire taps on half of you. Everyone must be intelligent enough to realize the diversity in America and that the composition of races that make up America is actually in a minority to the rest of the world.

There is a dream called America and it will die if people keep dividing instead of figuring out the path to surviving.

Perhaps it is my view from so far away and maybe I am labeled as an elitist and a dreamer but I will at least do everything I can not to let my America suffer half as much as the rest of the word does.

Please stop the petty and focus on issues. Take 1 hr off the internet and go rake a senior citizens yard, volunteer at a cancer ward or tutor a student that might drop out. Turn off your computer and save a few watts of energy.

We are all blind if its black or white. We must be insane if we think we can fight anti American sentiment with attacks on a VERY COMMON name in the Arab world (and no they are not all terriorists). Without Husseins we would have no oil, no clothes, no gasoline. We then beg and die for oil because our reserves can not come close to covering our needs if those Husseins decided they did not like the name "Edward" or "Jake" anymore.

America has the opportunity to be an example. We are innovative and by what I have seen transform in the primary so far a lot more openminded than our world critics suggest. But we remain self-centered and distracted.

United we stand, divided we most defintely fall.

Posted by: American, World Citizen | May 7, 2008 4:30 AM | Report abuse

McCain
CAIN
CAIN
CAIN

Posted by: Anonymous | May 7, 2008 3:59 AM | Report abuse

obama you what to be the president of america,america should join hands and vote obama.he what's it.tureal..

Posted by: tureal | May 7, 2008 3:50 AM | Report abuse

I am still planning to vote for Barack Obama in November, and I would
enthusiastically join Reverend Jeremiah Wright's church if he was still a
pastor.

That's because I am "Black enough" to love where both of these brothers are
coming from.

I am Black enough to know the history that produced both Wright and Obama, men
of different generations.

I am Black enough to embrace the sacred and the secular.

I am Black enough to respect Black liberation theology and to work in political
coalitions with diverse populations to bring needed change in America and the
world.

I am Black enough to realize that sometimes one must speak truth to power and
that sometimes silence is a weapon.

I am Black enough to recognize that we must respect our ancestors and elders and
that the future belongs to the youth and the unborn.

I am Black enough to appreciate that Black folks have strong feelings about
religion and about Obama.

I am Black enough to see Black people exuberantly mobilizing across generations,
genders, races, ethnicities, regions and religions for Obama's vision of "change
we can believe in".

I am Black enough to value that the masses of youth are moved by Obama and "the
fierce urgency of now".

I am Black enough to understand that we must maintain unity to transform
society.

I am Black enough to know that there is more than one way to look at a problem,
usually more than one way to solve it and mine is not always right.

I am Black enough not to lose this moment!
=

Posted by: ROSE | May 7, 2008 3:07 AM | Report abuse

Nobody ever thought that the people who went Catholic churches where priests molested children were pedophiles. So why do we think Mr. Obama shares the outrageous views of Mr. Jeremiah Wright?

Posted by: RAy | May 7, 2008 3:07 AM | Report abuse

Judge to ex-pastor: 'You lied'
Photos
Photos

HEATHER AINSWORTH / Observer-Dispatch
The Rev. William Procanick, left, and defense Attorney George Aney sit in an Oneida County courtroom as the verdict is read Tuesday, Jan. 22. A jury found Procanick guilty of sexually abusing a 7-year-old girl while she spent the night at his home in March 2007.

By ROCCO LaDUCA
Observer-Dispatch
Posted Feb 29, 2008 @ 05:25 PM
Last update Feb 29, 2008 @ 05:27 PM

UTICA -- When the Rev. William Procanick put his hand on the Bible during his sex-abuse trial in Oneida County Court earlier this year, he swore to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

But as the former Clinton pastor was sentenced Friday to three years in prison for inappropriately touching a 7-year-old girl at his home last March, Judge Michael L. Dwyer said Procanick sacrificed his honesty the day he testified.

"As a minister of God, you got on the stand and you lied," Dwyer told Procanick, the 54-year-old former pastor of Resurrection Assembly of God church on Kirkland Avenue.

A jury found Procanick guilty Jan. 22 of first-degree sexual abuse and endangering the welfare of a child.

Dwyer said he believes Procanick was being honest when he told the girl's mother in a recorded phone call that he was wrong to caress the girl's body while she was trying to fall asleep.

However, Procanick instead testified in court that he did nothing wrong other than spend time alone with the girl, who was a friend of the family, Dwyer noted.

If Procanick had accepted responsibility from the beginning instead of straying from the truth, Dwyer said, Procanick would likely have faced a lesser punishment and possibly avoided jail time.

"The truth would have set you free," Dwyer said. "You had a chance to be a man and say, 'I made a mistake.' But as always, the cover-up is much worse than the original crime."

Procanick's defense attorney, George Aney, noted that Procanick still received a sentence less than the maximum, which was up to seven years in prison.

"It's considerably less than the maximum, but considerably more than he deserved," Aney said.

Aney also took issue with how Dwyer and the victim's mother used harsh language to attack Procanick's Christian values.

"You are just an evil man," the victim's mother said Friday in court. "You lied, and you had your wife lie. And all these people who showed up in court to support you, did you lie to them, too?"

The Observer-Dispatch does not identify sex-abuse victims and their families.
The victim's mother said her daughter is still waking up scared at night because of what happened, and she continues to see a therapist. The young girl also feels that everybody is mad at her, the mother said.

Assistant District Attorney Doug DeMarche Jr. then read a note written by the girl, who did not appear in court Friday.

"Bill made me sad and scared," DeMarche read. "I thought I did something wrong, because I trusted him."

Dwyer gave Procanick an opportunity to speak in court, but Procanick had nothing to say to the victim and her family.

Aney did not plan to speak in court, he told Dwyer, but he felt obligated to respond to what the victim's mother said about Procanick and his wife.

"I believe she shows her own lack of Christianity by referring to people as liars," Aney said.

After the sentencing, Aney further commented about what was said in court.

"I respect Judge Dwyer for what he said this morning, but I have to say I disagreed with him," Aney said. "I have every right to express my feelings, and my feelings are that we are not permitted to call anybody a liar. That's a judgment someone higher than I makes."

DeMarche, however, said he can understand why the girl's mother spoke of Procanick in such harsh terms.

"She had a lot of faith and trust in Mr. Procanick, and he violated that trust," DeMarche said. "I think she's justified in being angry."

Posted by: RMP | May 7, 2008 3:03 AM | Report abuse

The combined will of Indiana and North Carolina has spoken for Obama (unexpectedly small victory in Indiana by Hillary, unexpectedly large victory in North Carolina by Obama)

Bring on McCain so we can throw the Republican bumbs out in November 2008!

Posted by: eljefejesus | May 7, 2008 2:49 AM | Report abuse

Never thought I would ever vote outside my party. The war, the economy and the prospect of more of the same under McCain is too much to stomach. Given the choice between McCain and Obama, I will vote Obama. Given the choice between another Clinton and McCain, I will "none of the above".

Posted by: Republican turncoat | May 7, 2008 2:46 AM | Report abuse

People in this country are so stupid.

Posted by: FJ | May 7, 2008 2:36 AM | Report abuse

Hillary associates with what type of people?

They believe in
1) Extramarital sex
2) Boss having sexual relations with subordinates at the workplace
3) Lying under oath as chief executive

She is still married to Bill and still working with him. Did I mention hypocrite?

Posted by: Foo | May 7, 2008 2:34 AM | Report abuse

Dear Suzee, with all due respect, the 3 adults in question are obviously very dense and or voluntarily ignorant. Hateful, unreasonable, and ambiguous people are the minority. And last I checked, that group is losing. It's the first time that I actually like hearing that a minority group is irrelevant in this modern-day progressive age. Go OBAMA, the only "rags to riches" candidate, he has seen both sides of the financial coin, he speaks from real experience, he has been the 1st everything, in places and positions where there had been none of "his kind" before. The presidency is just an ends to a means. That is the AMERICAN DREAM.

Posted by: OBAMA '08 | May 7, 2008 2:23 AM | Report abuse

John Grisham, the prolific author, had the best answer for why working-class Americans continue to vote Republican and against their economic interests.

4 words.

Vote Rich
Live Poor.

Clearly these ditto-heads actually think they are smart because they listen to the highly-paid entertainer, Rush Limbaugh, and they agree with his opinionated rants.

Did it ever occur to them that he would be on the other side of the street if he thought it would give him a bigger audience?

Posted by: PattysBarn | May 7, 2008 2:22 AM | Report abuse

Oregon Republicans are going to vote for Obama in their upcoming primary because they believe McCain can beat him in the Pres Election. Until tonight I thought what I was told by a relative in Portland was his way of ticking me off. Seems to be a planned event with some of them. This is the first time I've ever heard of people doing this to throw an election to their candidate. I'm a Hillary supporter but I'd never vote Republican if she's not the candidate in November.

Posted by: Newbie | May 7, 2008 2:15 AM | Report abuse

Did the "Rat" graduate high school?

King Hussein was the King of Jordan, the deceased father of the current king.

Clearly you don't know anything about Middle East politics or history.

Enjoy your ignorance..... as it is bliss.

Posted by: PattysBarn | May 7, 2008 2:14 AM | Report abuse

Boy how are you going to feel when Obama is flying around in Air Force One bringing the love of the world back to this country?

I'll tell you. You'll be sitting there in your chair full with a heart full of hate.

I'll pray you get help.

Posted by: Ratidiot | May 7, 2008 2:14 AM | Report abuse

After a 3-adult family discussion tonight, here's how we'll handle the General Election. If Obama is the Democratic candidate, we will vote for Republican McCain...UNLESS McCain's vice presidential selection is a far right conservative and/or a strongly religious candidate (i.e. Huckabee). If all the above happen, we'll probably stay home and wait for 2012 (hoping the calendars refresh).

Posted by: Suzee | May 7, 2008 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Hey Bill Hussein,

Imagine a day when mental separation of race is no longer displayed on comment sections!

We are all American, our colors are Red, White, and Blue.

Vote Ron Paul 2008

Posted by: Eric Nordstrom | May 7, 2008 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Republicans are voting Ron Paul (period end of story).

* Congress must declare War.
* Reduce the size of government.
* Defend our country, the borders.
* Preserve our Constitution.
* Fix the tax system.
* Retract the Patriot Act(s)
* Retract the Victory Act(s)
* Retract the Military Commissions Act
* Stop the buildup of the NAFTA Highway
* Defederalize the police force.
* Enable homeschooling.

Government is the servant, YOU are the master.

Virtually all other candidates WILL usher in an Economic Dark Age - Guaranteed!

Go Ron Paul!

Posted by: Eric Nordstrom | May 7, 2008 1:35 AM | Report abuse

Imagine, a Black man in the White House!

Posted by: Bill Hussein | May 7, 2008 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Tell Obama's Pastor Jeremiah to preach rather than come out publicly and demoralized Obama.
The pastor's job is to win the Soul to Jesus, not to destroying innocent people.

I think the pastor is not look like man of God.
God's people concern for others and uphold the integrity but what Jeremiah did shows that he is not the Pastor.
He is just like Judas, man who betray Jesus.

Jeremaih Wright betrayed Brack Obama.

Polokp.
Ohio,

Posted by: Poloko | May 7, 2008 1:26 AM | Report abuse

Republicans are abandoning their party to join Democrats. This is an expression of their present economic and political uncertainty. The Republican party is trying to save face by calling the mass defection as a strategy. How transparent and elementary! You can't expect more from the unimaginative GOP losers.

Posted by: Helen | May 7, 2008 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Very interesting commentaries. I rarely read through all the comments on an article with such lengthy responses, but became intrigued with all the opinions and info here.

Thanks to all of you for being so concerned. It gives me back some hope for seeing an America like we used to have, one to be proud of.

The only disappointments are those who resort to using threats, as if that would sway anyone's opinion. Regardless of your position, we should all be able to discuss our differences in a civilized manner. That is what our country stands for.

Posted by: JR | May 7, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Dan Moss, loved your story, and you really summed up why so many of us support Obama. It is because we took the time to really look into who he is and what he stands for. After reading his two books and he said exactly what I was thinking, but put it into words better than I could have ever dreamed of doing, I was hooked. I am continually struck by the ignorance of the individuals who knock Obama like those here contrasted with the thoughtfulness of most of the Obama supporters. The more carefully you look at the candidates, the more Obama is the choice. For those of you who are against Obama, stop letting other people like Rush/Hannity do your thinking, and act like a true American and do your own thinking. If you still support someone else, at least you would then have some valid reasons for your choice as opposed to the racist drivel spouted here.

Posted by: John | May 7, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Sigh- there's a reason Hill takes "uneducated white males," "elderly," and "middle aged white women," while Obama takes "educated whites of all ages," "youth," and "blacks." The elderly support Hill because they don't like change and they grew up distrusting blacks. Middle aged white women like Hill because they want to vote for a woman. Uneducated white males vote for Hill because they're, ummmmm, uneducated. Maybe the educated people are onto something.

Posted by: Sally | May 7, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Say "No" to McSame! Reject Billary!! Vote 4 Barack (Who's Sane) Obama!!!

Posted by: AMama4Obama | May 7, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Doing a lovely job of Trolling there. What better way to show support for McCain than to dissent the democratic voters even further?

I mean, there are already lots of people saying that if THEIR candidate of choice doesn't win the primary, they're not going to vote at all.

Truth is, there is so little in difference between what Hillary and what Barack believe and want to do with this country that you have to focus on the physical differences to find any difference AT ALL!

Truly silly, wot?

Posted by: CauseCrusader | May 7, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

I have read writings of Obama's, Clinton's and McCain.

I have followed the Democrat presidential selection process with rising hope. Clinton and McCain seem to be more of the same leadership USA has had for last 15 plus years. Clinton openly lies (snipers in Bosnia when fighting over?) and McCain backflips (taxes, banning USA torture techniques - his own bill to gain presidential running backing from Reps).

I have been surprised at Obama's candidness, honesty an humbleness in his "warts and all assessment" of his life, family and experiences to date. His vision for America's domestic policies and foreign policy offers real hope for not only America's future and people but for the rest of us who are so much linked with the USA economy and its foreign policy.

The American people should be proud of their steps to date in supporting Obama. Their wish to not only reconcile the past but build a joint future based on the provision of meeting the core needs of all peoples is inspirational.

Change is coming and I hope to join Americans in embracing it!

Posted by: David in Melb, Australia | May 7, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Democrats who vote for McCain to spite the winning Democratic nominee are the worst traitors to America because they should know better and they are seriously disturbed if they think 4 more years of GOP rule with conservative activist judges, incompetent crony appointees and neocon policies are better than the other Democrat whose policies are 99% the same as the other. ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR SUCH STUPIDITY!!

Posted by: Mark | May 7, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Republicans who voted for Bush or McCain are traitors to their own country. Please leave.

Posted by: Mark | May 7, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the name Hussein, remember the last time some people told us things about a man named Hussein ??? they LIED......LIED and LIED. They are still lying and the y will not stop lying.....>4000 American deaths and >tens of thousands of Iraqis dead. It is a shame that sensible people will think and rationalize the way we sometimes do in this country. Hopefully, saner minds will prevail in November and we can redeem our land from further self destruction from IGNORANCE.

Posted by: dave | May 7, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey black haters-consider the following. When I was a boy I stole something from a store and was caught.A black policeman bawled me out till I cried.Then he drove me home,and on the way told me never to forget how I felt that day,and to live life different from that day on.I have.My high school principal,a black man,believed me when a teacher mistakenly thought I had started a fight,and wanted me expelled.When I came upon a car crash years later,and was ineptly trying to assist a man who was in bad shape,a black man came along who had been in the army and knew exactly what to do.A wonderful black man helped my wife get a job out of grad school,when she really,really needed one.A black policeman found my 4 year old son last year,who had wandered off at a huge event and was about to exit the building coatless on a night of dangerous wind chills.Most ignorant black haters will need to look this up,but I know what it means-Eplurabus Unum.Obama 08.

Posted by: Mark S. | May 6, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Republicans who voted for Obama HUSSIEN are traitors to their own country. Please leave.

Posted by: Larry from Indiana | May 6, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Matt, what over type of media is there? The so called "liberal media" has been reduced to Air America radio, Jon Stewart, Keith Olbermann, and a few late night commedians on HBO. About 90% of the rest of the media outlets is owned by half a dozen profit-oriented conservative conglomerates. Outside of the internet, the 70% of Americans who are disgusted with Bush and his buddies have little to turn to that isn't either "bought and paid for" by neocon sympathizers or mindless infotainment provided by journalist wannabes. Seriously, the media outlets bare much of the guilt for covering up the past 8 years. People would be rioting in the streets demanding impeachment if journalists had the integrity to do their job.

Posted by: Jake | May 6, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I Hillary is as ressilent as the Clinton cigar and in Monica's mouth.

Posted by: Matako Makubwa | May 6, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Jake-Nobody's perfect.

David, I suggest Obasama get some exercise, and that threatens his life?

Man! He looked pretty frail, but I never realized... ;~)

Posted by: RAT-The | May 6, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

I think the real choice americans have to make this year is how much they are going to pay attention to conservative biased media.

The hannitys and limbaughs have had their way for eight solid years and the results are less than spectacular.

Maybe they don't know what they are talking about.

Its time Americans start looking elsewhere for political criticism. These bums have left us blind to one of the worst presidents ever.

Posted by: matt | May 6, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Rat said: Commander in Chief-Son of an Admiral, who was the Son of an Admiral, Naval Aviator, Annapolis Graduate(Right around the bend from DC), Senator and Senior Member of Armed Services Committee, War Hero, -John McCain!

You forgot:
Graduated near the bottom of his class, bailed out over Vietnam instead of taking evasive maneuvers thus wasting a perfectly good fighter jet and disclosing whatever few military secrets he possessed to the enemy, presenting his wife with divorce papers upon discovery that she would be disfigured from cancer, only to shack up with a rich better looking woman (there's Republican family values for ya), approached John Kerry about being his Democratic running mate in 2004, multiple cases of verbally and physically assaulting those who disagree with him, a man who cannot control his temper to save his life (good candidate to keep his finger over "the button", eh?), sold his soul to BushCo for the funding and backing to run in 2008 (hence all the flip-flopping on taxes, torture, etc.), can't remember who or where he is (as caught on multiple recordings - senile apparently) and along with his good buddy Joe Lieberman, is chomping at the bit to start another war with Iran (further bankrupting the US). Yeah, great credentials.....

Posted by: Jake | May 6, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

RAT-The, careful what you post on here. Threatening Obama's life with the front of your pick-up truck will land you in prison pretty soon, no kidding. Your IP is logged on the web site, and you can bet the feds can pick it up any time.

Posted by: David in NC | May 6, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

There certainly are some hateful bigots posting. Pretty shocking stuff.

Interesting, though, that the people who can argue on the issues, not on ranting accusations, tend to support Obama on the whole.

I'm a white forty year old from North Carolina, and I sure am proud of my state tonight.

Posted by: David in NC | May 6, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

jg?- Assuming you are the anonymous,

FYI-I worked in al-Khobar Sa'udi Arabia for the Fahd bin Mugrin bin Abdul Aziz al Saud Company off the Damman Hwy.

FAMCO for short.

SURPRISE! ;~)

Dahran has some good shopping!

Posted by: RAT-The | May 6, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Then, for the assinonimous at 11:06,

Saddam's DEAD!

And leave the DIMocrat Mascot out of this! ;~)

Posted by: RAT-The | May 6, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Uhhhh, Assynonimous at 11:04,

Your quoting "Tumbleweeds" there Einstein! ;~)

Posted by: RAT-The | May 6, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm finally glad to see that people realize that the HillBilly Clintons are dirtier than trash. The negativity, racism, zenaphobia, intolerance of religion, betrayal and lies have finally cought up to them in plain view. They are dividers not uniters. I say if the Democratic party makes a mistake and votes HillBilly in as the presidental nominatee then s/he shall be defeated with a republican victory because the BLACK vote should and will vote republican. The HillBillies need this vote to win.

Posted by: nubiq | May 6, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

RAT-
If you really support Saddam's removal, get your ass over there!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 6, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

RAT- Thanks for proving my point. That would be Abdullah II bin al-Hussein, King Hussein's son. I'll add him to the list!

Also, to quote you-
"though for the barely literature among us"
lol I guess that you meant "literate"-something you're not.

Ouch, my "spine" hurts!

Translation for the "illiterate" RAT.
Barack Hussein- "blessing, the good"
And it will be in November! haha

Posted by: Anonymous | May 6, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

LOL! :-D

Mighty long list of Pipe Dreams for less than four Minutes of Prep-Time, by RAT Poison.

And Soooooooooo Leftist, like I said!

Hey Poison;

Ever occur to you, "Barry" is saying HE would like to still have Saddam in control of Iraq?

Granted, he did support the World Labor Party with almost as much money as Soros, BUT, he really needed to GO!

I am very PROUD to have supported Saddam's Removal! How could anyone not be?!

Posted by: RAT-The | May 6, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

You can't get mad at Rat for his opinions. Uneducated people only repeat what they're told.

Posted by: j5 | May 6, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey RAT and STOMPER,

I just farted. Here's a kiss for you.

Posted by: White Boy From Iowa | May 6, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Rat P- The Good Doctor is needed for "Iowa", not you(Unless the same?).

Posted by: RAT-The | May 6, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Rat P-LOL! :-D

Accomplishments-NOT Pipe Dreams and Promises.

For the EXECUTIVE Branch!

Sort of like this:

Vice President-Top of his Law Class, Top of his MBA Graduating Class, Conservative Governor of a very Liberal State, Olympics Saving, Venture Capitalist, and MORE,- Mitt Romney!

THAT, is WHY I want McCain/ Romney in the White House! ;~)

Posted by: RAT-The | May 6, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey 'White Boy from Iowa'. I'll take you up on your offer. I'll be in Des Moines on the 23rd thru the 26th at the Radisson. Come on by and we'll have a little 'talk'! Bring your friends, you'll need them.

Posted by: Stomper | May 6, 2008 10:22 PM

Ahh....another scumbag heard from. RAT'S cousin I presume?

You're on nazi. I`ll be there. I know where it's at. It's high time some of you racists got their a-- kicked up between their shoulder blades in this country.

I can't think of a better place to start than with that little
pu--y hiding behind his keyboard named ' Stomper '

You better hope you can live up to your name boy.
What a racist Skokie name that is you pig f---n nazi you.

I'm gonna make you bleed. Real slow. Promise.

;);)

Bring your insurance cards, you're gonna need them. Des Moines has real nice hospitals however, and I would suggest you plan on staying longer than 3 days.

Try 3 months.

Posted by: White Boy From Iowa | May 6, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Rat,

lol, ridicule... the last resort for the ignorant.

Posted by: Rat Poison | May 6, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

LOL! :-D

Is there a Dr. Krauthammer in the House?

There is a Case Study opportunity! ;~)

Posted by: RAT-The | May 6, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Rat,

Opposed the Iraq war from the start.
Voted to end the war in Iraq.
Supports capturing and killing Osama Bin Laden.
Favors a $1000 tax cut for every working American family.
Will implement tax form simplification to reduce filing time.
Provide tax credit for all middle class homeowners.
Provide a tax cut for all families making less than $75,000 a year.
Amend NAFTA to protect American workers.
Amend NAFTA to strengthen environmental protections.
Providing Flex Ed training accounts for workers.
Extending Trade Adjustment assistance to service workers.
Supported Patriot Employer Act of 2007 that gives tax credits to large companies that keep workers here in America.
Double funds for basic federal research.
Implement a long term research and development tax credit.
Invest in green technologies.
Reduce carbon emission gases.
Tackle the challenges of global warming.
Create an energy focused youth jobs program.
Create Federal Renewable Portfolio Standard.
Extend the Production Tax Credit.
Expand Broadband into every community.
Keep the Internet tax free.
Expand high speed internet access in rural areas.
Fight for passage of Employee Free Choice Act.
Ensure freedom to unionize.
Would overturn "Kentucky River" classifications of Bush's NLRB
Protect rights of striking workers.
Increase the mininum wage to index it to inflation.
Crack down on predatory lenders.
Provide a universal mortgage tax credit for homeowners who don't itemize.
Sign the Stop Fraud Act to prevent lending fraud.
Mandate accurate loan disclosure.
Create a fund to protect people from foreclosures.
Close the bankruptcy loophole for mortgage companies.
Establish a credit card rating to improve disclosure.
Ban utilateral credit card charges.
Apply interest rate only to future debt.
Prohibit credit card interest on fees.
Prohibit Universal defaults.
Require prompt and fair crediting of cardholder payments.
Protect working people from unfair bankruptcy laws.
Ban executive bonuses for bankruptcy companies.
Require disclosure of pension investments.
Cap outlandish interest rates on payday loans.
Implement legislation to drive unscrupulous lenders out of business
Create a bankruptcy exemption for people that went broke because of medical bills.
Double funding for after school programs.
Extend Family and Medical Leave Act.
Encourage states to adopt Paid leave.
Expand the Child Care Tax Credit
Supports ratification of UN Convention Rights of Persons With Disabilities.
Supports independent, community based living for people with disabilities.
Expand educational opportunities for people with disabilities.
Expand job opportunities for people with disabilities.
Strengthen civil rights enforcement.
Sign law reversing recent SCOTUS rulings that permitted discrimination against women.
Sign law reversing recent SCOTUS rulings that permitted discrimination against racial minorities.
Strengthen federal hate crimes legislation.
Eliminate the sentence disparities regarding crack cocaines.
Establish drug courts for first time, non violent offenders.
Create a prison to work incentive for those transitioning back into society.
Passed a law to prohibit the practice of racial profiling.
Supported reauthorizing the Voting Rights Act.
Opposes all discriminatory barriers to voting.
Helped reform death penalty system in Illinois to protect innocent people on death row.
Voted to ban cluster bombs.
Provide high quality affordable child care to families.
Will quadruple Early Head Start funding.
Will increase Head Start funding.
Creates early learning challenge grants.
Abolish overly rigid teach to the test curriculum in schools.
Improve accountability in public schools.
Invest in intervention strategies to reduce dropout rates in schools.
Increase funding for afterschool programs.
Supports Step Up program to increase summer learning opportunities.
Support English language learner programs.
Expand college outreach programs.
Create teacher service scholarships.
Requires all public schools to be accredited.
Create teacher residency programs.
Create the American Opportunity Tax Credit for higher education.
Streamline financial aid application.
Introduced legislation to increase Pell Grant to $5,100.
Reduce carbon emissions by 80% by 2050.
Confront deforestation.
Promote carbon sequestration.
Accelerate commercialization of plug in hybrids.
Promote development of commercial scale renewable energy.
Invest in low emission coal plants.
Transition to new electric digit grid.
Double science funding for clean energy products.
Create Green Jobs Corps.
Invest in programs to help manufacturers make transition to green products.
Create clean technologies venture capital fund.
Deploy cellulosic ethanol.
Expand locally owned biofuel refineries.
Increase renewable fuel standards.
Establish national low carbon fuel standard.
Increase fuel economy standards.
Invest in solar energy.
Invest in wind energy.
Establish a centralized database to track lobbyist activities.
Appoint an independent watchdog group to oversee congressional ethic violations.
Favors campaign finance reform.
Sunshine on legislation proposal.
End abuse of no bid contracts.
Release presidential records in a more timely fashion.
Prevent political appointees from working as lobbyists within two years after employment has ended.
Reform political appointment process.
Sign ethics legislation that he proposed as a Senator with Russ Feingold.
Obama sponsored a bi-partisan bill allowing regular people to track federal grants.
Take leadership in the global fight against AIDS.
Provide tax cuts to small businesses.
Provide income tax cuts for all senior citizens making $50,000 a year or less.
Expand the Earned Income Tax Credit.
Protect workers from caregiver discrimination.
Increase mentoring programs for beginner teachers.
Provide universal health care for all Americans within 4 years.
Combat fraudulent subprime loans.
Expand Nurse Family Partnership.
Provide automatic workplace pensions for workers.
Expand savings credit for retirement accounts.
Reinstate pay as you go budget rules.
Repeal Bush tax cuts for top 1% which led to lower middle class standard of living.
Slash earmarks to pre 2001 levels.
Abolish obsolete wasteful government programs.
Voted against raising the minimum debt in 2006.
Supports wiping out Al Qaeda wherever they may be.
Opposed Kyl Lieberman.
Supports tough attempts at diplomacy with Iran to protect America's interests.
Will work to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Restrengthen NATO.
Passed a bipartisan law with Senator Lugar to prevent smuggling of WMDs.
Introduced a bill with Senator Hagel to reduce nuclear arsenals around the globe.
Supports securing loose nuke arsenals from the former Soviet Union and elsewhere.
Strengthen Non Nuclear Proliferation Treaty.
Expand size of Army by 65,000.
Expand size of Marines by 27,000.
Provide our troops with new equipment and the tools they need.
Provide National Service troops with adequate leave time.
Will insulate the Director of National Intelligence from partisan politics.
Guarantee that health care can never be denied because of a pre-existing condition.
Introduce a health care plan similar to the one members of Congress have and give all Americans access to this plan.
Simplify the paperwork in health care costs.
Make premiums and co pays affordable.
Require mandatory coverage of all children for health care.
Expand SCHIP.
Expand Medicaid.
Reduce costs of catastrophic illnesses for employers and employees.
Support disease management programs.
Require hospitals and providers to have full transparency over costs.
Promote patient safety by requiring providers to report medical errors.
Establish an independent institute to guide reviews + research on comparative effectiveness in health care.
Strengthen anti trust laws to prevent insurance companies from gouging medical providers.
Lower medical costs by having electronic health info systems.
Increase competition in prescription drug markets.
Advance biomedical research field.
Improve mental care coverage.
Reduce mercury deposits to help prevent miscarriages.
Increase funding for autism research.
Cosponsored Healthy Kids Act of 2007.
Cosponsored reauthorization of SCHIP in 2007.
Obama introduced legislation to establish guidelines to monitor fuels from nuclear power plants.
Sponsored a bill with Senator Lautenberg to protect chemical plants from possible terrorist attacks.
Introduced legislation to upgrade monitoring of water supplies.
Introduced legislation to protect localities from radioactive leaks.
Create secure borders with additional personnel and infrastructure.
Remove incentives for people to enter this country illegally.
Crack down on employers who hire illegal immigrants.
Invest in transitional jobs.
Improve transportation access to jobs.
Fully fund community block grants.
Create an affordable housing trust fund.
Establish a program called 20 Promise Neighborhoods.
Invest in rural areas, especially small businesses, schools, and doctors.
Implement a payment limitation program to help small farmers.
Protect family farms from anti-competitive monopolies.
Implement tough fines for CAFO violations.
Establish country of origin labeling for all products.
Support regional food systems.
Encourage organic farming.
Provide tax credits for young farmers.
Increase capital for small farmers.
Modify FCC so all rural residents have access to modern communications.
Upgrade rural infrastructure.
Supported legislation to reverse 2 billion dollars of agriculture cuts under Bush.
Cosponsored Emergency Farm Relief

is that good enough for you, or do you want it in alphabetical order too?

Posted by: Rat Poison | May 6, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

haha, "amigo"... isn't that clever... our racist friend is actually trying to speak in another language besides english...

hmm... it is terribly wrong that some person would actually want to spend money on disadvantaged african americans! oh goodness no, helping those poor kids, how dare he?

at least he is giving money. how much have you given my friend? i promise not that much (giving to your local chapter of the rebels son's of america doesnt count)

if you actually look at information it says he gave $240,370 in all to charity organizations...

hmm... let's do a bit of math here... 240,370 - 80,000=?

rat, if your local grand wizard hasnt taught you subtraction yet, that equals 160,370. which means he gave that much to other charity organizations! amazing how far a little bit of intelligence goes, huh?

nice try though. ; )

Posted by: Rat Poison | May 6, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Ahem, I ask AGAIN;

WHAT has Barack Obama DONE(Accomplished) that demonstrates he is qualified to be the EXECUTIVE?(Commander in Chief/Foreign Relations/Economics and Business Leader)

All I have ever seen, is some Bills he Jumped in on, and typical Legislative BS-with a decidedly Leftist Streak!

Please, tell me all about "Barry's" Qualifications.

Posted by: RAT-The | May 6, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stomper | May 6, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Rat probably jacks off going down the highway while looking at dirty magazines while swerving all over the road.

It don't take much, what with being naked underneath those smelly overalls of his. He just reaches in, and get's his own party started. He probably doesn't bother to was his hands afterwards, as he reaches into KFC bucket and pulls out a thigh.

Right you bloodsucking leech upon decent society?

I live in Ottumwa Iowa racist. 3122 Chester Ave.
Come on over to my house. I double dog dare you you racist ,scum, pignut sucker.

RAT keeps all the truckdrivers passing through very busy too. Why, RAT is the veritable local "Lot Lizard" in drag. Sort of like what is seen on COPS right RAT?

Does your grandma still put out at the all African American local football team RAT? I mean when she slips her dentures out that is.

And what about that sister of yours, you know the one, the REALLY UGLY ONE who nobody would screw at the prom? And then she got all drunked up and the all African American basketball team took turns with her in the back of the bus?

How about your mother RAT. Does she still like African American Blacksnake ALL NIGHT LONG?

She swallows too, but then again you ALREADY know that don't you, you inbred cokksucker.

Come on over to my house you racist pig. I dare you.

Posted by: White Boy From Iowa | May 6, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Amen, Robin. The dimwits had their chance. It's time to try intelligence again -- though for the barely literature among us, "elite" has now become code for "can read and speak well".

Posted by: tumbleweed | May 6, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

A Lunatic Posted-

If you come out from behind your safe place behind your monitor, I promise I will make it worth your while you bloodsucking, racist, nazi scumbag you.

Come on out. I dare you.
____________________________________________

LOL! :-D

Somebody forgot their Meds!

Posted by: RAT-The | May 6, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Come on guys, give this close minded loser a little slack. Not everyone is gifted with a soul, a brain or even common sense. Show some pity at the "Hussein" chanter. Then again, it is dumba$$es like him that put this country in the toilet for the past 8 years.....

Posted by: Laughing at the Rat | May 6, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I truly find this election so full of it, How STUPID WAS IT TO VOTE FOR A TRUE IDIOT (MR BUSH) TWICE!! LOOK AT THIS COUNTRY IT IS AN EMBARRASSMENT TO THE WORLD! BARACK WOULD BE A BREATHE OF FRESH AIR TO THIS CORRUPT LYING GOVERNMENT WE HAVE NOW.AT LEAST HE TELLS THE TRUTH! HOW DARE WE JUDGE HIM BEACUSE WHAT THE PREACHER SAID! THATS ALL YOU CAN FIND! WHY SHOULD WE KEEP THE RICH FOLKS RICH! AND EVERYONE ELSE IS LOOSING THEIR HOMES, JOBS, FAMILY IN IRAQ.ETC.. THINK!!!

Posted by: robin | May 6, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

RAT,

Come on out. I dare you.

Posted by: White Boy From Iowa | May 6, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

LOL! :-D

KKK-Moi?

Reality Check Amigo!

Over two Years-Over $80K spent on "Black" Charity Exclusively! By "Barry" Hussein, the Racist, Obasama!

Seems he should be running for the President of the Racist Organization NAACP, NOT the US of A! ;~)

BTW-Alan Keyes makes Obasama look like a totally Incompetent Fool for the Job Alan Keyes is very qualified for.

I WANT Alan Keyes in an Executive Post somewhere!

"Barry" barely belongs in Congress! :-(

Posted by: RAT-The | May 6, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

To Marishka,

I like how you have spoken, I disagree with what you say. You said "Some of us aren't ready for the CHANGE that will take our freedoms away from us and let big business rule. Maybe you are." So, if I'm to understand you, you would like less government and more freedom for big businesses. I'd like to point out what the Republicans under Bush have done to your rights and what big business has done to the country. Case in point, Haliburton and the Mortgage lending fiasco.

Posted by: kd11 | May 6, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I like Obama, in part, because he hasn't gone negative like the Clinton campaign has. However, I'll vote for her in a heartbeat if she our nominee. I'm convinced now that either candidate can beat McCain with huge history of flip flopping.

But Dems bothered about Rev. Wright need to get some perspective. Yes he has said some inflammatory things, but it isn't like he was making those comments every Sunday. His was a big, community focused ministry that has been helping and supporting thousands of people over the years. The church family is larger than the pastor, and it's an unfair caricature to paint Obama and all the other parashioners there as less than faithful Christians because of a handful of comments by Wright.

Most American Catholics don't agree with their church's position on birth control. Should they be condemned for attended mass?

Posted by: DC | May 6, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

OK dittoheads (which means you let Rush do your thinking for you) Keep on trying to distract the American people with the scary black pastor stuff. Come November when gas is $4+ per gallon and we've lost another how many Americans in Iraq and the economy remains in the toilet, yer going to have to scream Wright and Hussein pretty loud, and you still won't be able to stop Barack!

Posted by: bushhater | May 6, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

To Rat-The:

"need a modern book?"

you're over here bringing up some crap about "Hussein, HUSSEIN!-HUSSEIN!" I'm wondering if you've ever even read a book besides those KKK manifestos you have stacked beside you bedside table.

I'm glad you see can that a guy who had no choice in his middle name cant be electable (because obviously the rest of america is as ignorant as you are) but how about we set bigotry aside and keep to the Christian values that we hear about on those on the RIght?

Posted by: rat poison | May 6, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Dan Moss:

That was beautiful, thank you for posting it. Yes We Can! :)

Posted by: LiliVG | May 6, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

You Obama supporters are guaranteeing another 4 (and perhaps) 8 years of republican rule. He can't win a state that democrats can win, like Indiana--He only wins the states that republicans always win (and, largely, because his message plays best to democrats who are used to being defeated at every turn, but aren't smart enough to realize that they should move). NC hasn't gone democratic since Carter 32 years ago, and then only because Nixon left the republican party without a sellable candidate. This time the democrats are up against McCain. Choose Obama for the nomination, and we will see a bigger democratic loss than Dukakis in the eighties.

Posted by: Kelly Patrick | May 6, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

To Marishka, Clyde and others who have passed judgement on Obama for what his pastor has said, google what Clintons Pastor said about him. And kudos to you if you have actually listed to more then the sound bites. But if you haven't, consider doing it, after all you are educated, correct?

I also had a pastor do things that I didn't approve of at one time. We found out after we left the church. Was he convicted? I don't know. But he is the one that baptized my oldest daughter. Get over the whole Wright incident.

Posted by: kd11 | May 6, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

what if clinton askes mcCain to be her VP if he would concede the election to her ??? would the superdelegates then side with her? that would be unpresidented no?because mcCain would have no chance against clinton.but he could possibly beat obama.

Posted by: stevenpotter57@yahoo.com | May 6, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Hillary did not denounce Bill after Monica, Or any of the other women he had affairs with. She voted for a war that wasnt necessary, every chance she gets she slams one opponet not the republican. can we trust her to really be ready on day one or does she have to wait for someone else to make those decisions while she sits and crys about it.

Posted by: pat mcgowan | May 6, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Obama is the right response to the 8 years of neocon mismangement. Somebody please get us out before we sink beyond any chance of recovery. Hillary, has well been buddy buddy with the neocons and can't expect much to change from that perspective.

Posted by: Joe Richy | May 6, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

jg-Last time I checked,

our beloved ally King in Jordan is King Abdullah II.

Need a Modern Book? ;~)

Posted by: RAT-The | May 6, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Deep down I'm sure many voters realize that Hillary is a set back to feminists everywhere.

Posted by: Futuerosophy | May 6, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey RAT,
Why don't you crawl back in the the sewer. Have you heard of Omar Bradley, George Joulwan and America's great ally-King Hussein of Jordan? Take a book down there with you!

Posted by: jg | May 6, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Why is it that everytime someone disgress with you people about anything (especially Obama), you go on the offensive and say mean, spite, and just plain ignorant things.

This is American and that means Freedom of speech, freedom of choice, and freedom to have an opinion no matter how right or wrong.

I give you room to choose the wrong candidate, just as you should give me room to choose the right candidate.

Now, you drag out all of the Clinton's skeletons, go for it. Trust me, if there were any more skeletons to pull out the Republicans would have found them when Mr. Clinton was President.

However, if Obama is nominated (trust me on this one), you haven't seen the skeletons that are going to tumble out of Mr. Obama's closet and unfortunately his dear wife, Michelle's closet either.

The Republicans are loving the fact Obama is in the lead. Trust me, he is highly beatable, no matter what you may want to think. And it isn't because we aren't ready for a black president. We're just not ready for someone who for 20 years stayed in a church that chanted "God DAMN America". Amenning him to the hilt. Maybe you are. Some of us aren't ready for the CHANGE that will take our freedoms away from us and let big business rule. Maybe you are.

I'm all for good change. I just don't see good change in Obama. Personally, I'd rather have Jesse Jackson. Now he is a man with some brains who has compassion and is for the good of our Country - American!

But then again, I'm one voice. I hope mine is heard.

mk

Posted by: Marishka | May 6, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

This is my reason, as a Republican, why I support Obama... my Letter to Greg.

Dear Greg,

You have been and always will be my true closest friend that I could ever have hoped for. I am finally writing to you now, two years after you left us on April 11, 2006 (what I refer to as 4-11), because I miss our times... watching a game, home improvements, poker nights, BBQ's, drinking, or just killing quiet time on the porch with a cigar.

At 44 years old, you had a few years on me, but were certainly too young to leave this world. I sometimes wish you never got on your bike that day, but you loved to ride. I know you are patrolling the streets of Heaven, while still looking down on us from time to time.

I never told you how the stories of your 24 years in the Marine Corps, from serving in Korea to the first Gulf War, made me feel. It was these stories and your dedication to service there, and back home when you retired (at 42 you lucky dog) that gave me true understanding of patriotism and renewed my sense of respect and love for my country. You were a true American hero, as are your younger brothers and nephew who are serving right now, whom you have also inspired. You have inspired so many by your service and kind deeds in the community, collecting toys for needy children and raising money for the poor. You met the greatest callings all your life, charity and service.

A few months after 4-11, towards the end of 2006, I heard your voice. My soul was lifted for a brief moment... then reality brought me back. Then I heard your voice again, coming from the television. I turned and saw your welcoming smile, your truthful and sincere eyes met mine, and I had another brief moment before coming back.

It wasn't you, it was a man named Barack Obama. Greg, this guy could be your twin, a little on the skinny side. I am not just talking about looks, although he is a mutt like you, half black and half white, with a dozen or so nationalities mixed in. He's even the same age. I am referring to the comforting tone of his voice and the selfless look in his eyes, and a whole entourage of qualities he exuberates that remind me of the best parts of your character. It was truly amazing.

Now the bad news... I found out he's a liberal democrat! I hope I didn't offend you, Greg. But the resemblance was so remarkable. I remember you and I would watch O'Reilly and listen to Rush all the time... such good memories. As long-standing, conservative republicans, we would take no ills from the likes of the left. So, I turned of the television. Sorry, Greg. Bye-bye Barack.

A whole year went by, and then I heard the voice again, right before the 2008 New Year. Your evil twin was on television again, this time running for president. I guess he had been running for a while; but you know how I am, Greg. I never liked politics too much. Whoever the republican candidate is gets our vote.

Well, this time I listened. And I listened to the whole thing. You're going to tell me I wasted my time, but I Googled him and checked out his website... I even listened to this convention speech he made during the last election. Remember last election? You and I were going crazy for Bush. It's always fun here in Palm Beach County. Man we had a great time! Remember our celebration party when he beat Gore? Great times!

So, this Obama guy had my interest a little. Don't shoot me, Greg, but I was actually cheering for him when he beat out Hillary Clinton at the Iowa vote. It was because we hated the Clintons... remember? I was rooting for Huckabee, too... and he won. You would like Huckabee.

But Greg, I have to be honest. Not because of the voice, or the smile, and not because he reminds me of you... but I began to really listen and like this new guy. Trust me, MOST of his positions are out of touch with what I believe... his ideals are far too liberal. But, I can disagree without being disagreeable (he said that).

What is true are the goals we share, the prosperity we desire, the dreams we strive to achieve, the success we wish for our children, the health we bestow on our planet, the peace we crave with our world neighborhood, the health and well being every human deserves, the freedom to express and be heard, and the hope that ignites our souls.

These truths are paramount. I hope, in your now improved vision, that you can see what now I see and feel that this man can do. Just like you made me appreciate America and its values, he enriches these feelings and unites a hard-core republican like me with a greater universal need. United we stand and united we heal.

This is a world now where the United States doesn't exist outside of our borders... to the world we are America, which is sour on the tongues of many. We need to become the United States again, and Obama is the one to do it. He has your wisdom, Greg, and your integrity. He has your character and your sincerity. He is devoted to his family, and devoted to this country. What is liberal about that?

Greg, my wife and kids all miss you too. Your wife comes over for drinks sometimes, and your daughter is doing well at Florida State... love them 'Noles. We talk about this often, and I think I have almost convinced your wife. Please tell her in her dreams, that we need this guy. I know it hurts to cross that aisle; but think about what I said and what I feel. You have always listened before.

I know you can see me, Greg. And I know you can hear me. You are probably shaking your head at the "Republicans for Obama" sticker on my truck, or the flag flying from the window. But what I truly hope you are doing is smiling and saying to me, "Yes we can."

Love you and miss you bro, Semper Fi
Dan

Posted by: Dan Moss | May 6, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Can't the Obama supporters see that he speaks lies. Can't they ask themselves how he could belong to a church and have a pastor for 20 years, praying with him, getting counseling from him, treating him like family and not see what sort of person Wright is? If he could not see this in 20 years, what will be do to America in 4 years if elected president? Don't ruin this country by voting for him.

Posted by: Clyde Nugget | May 6, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Let's dance!

Posted by: Labamba | May 6, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Hilary cost 3000 lives of american soldiers and still counting and plus cost of people tax
cut.
I'm from Sydney AUSTRALIA down under...
I have good sense of knowledge of people...Educated myself and heard seen the world coming
to an end war and terror.We want change NOW.
OBAMA is what AMERICA is looking for... think carefully on election day!!! the clinton
family is disfunctional, if hillary cannot be a good wife and a parent (self evident) how can
she run a country?

Posted by: ROE | May 6, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

the RAT thrives in filth,darkness,and cowardly
existence........let's extinguish likes of them !

Posted by: AJ | May 6, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

USA is the most powerful country this century, good/bad leadership affects the rest of us in
the world.It is very crucial that America has good leadership, better judgement, good
views,That's what I've always wanted in a President; someone more interested in
serving the public than their own interests.
OBAMA 2008 WE NEED YOU TO LEAD THIS COUNTRY away from war and terror.

Posted by: Isabel | May 6, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

views,That's what I've always wanted in a President; someone more interested in
serving the public than their own interests.
OBAMA 2008 WE NEED YOU TO LEAD THIS COUNTRY away from war and terror

Posted by: Isabel | May 6, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

has anyone noticed how closely they resemble in looks as well.................

Limbaugh and bill Clinton !

self-serving windbags .....................

Posted by: AJ | May 6, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Even I have an Obasama Sticker on my Truck.

On the Front Bumper.

Says:

Run Barack Hussein! RUN! ;~)

Posted by: RAT-The | May 6, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

SHRILL-ARY and PILLORY....pillage at will

Posted by: AJ | May 6, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Too bad they were supposed to be voting for Clinton to prolong this. Didn't they get the memo?

Hillary will end up just like Eight Belles, who she compared herself to the other day. That poor filly was the only one in the race, came in second place to Big Brown, broke two of her legs and was put to sleep right on the track.

Oh well, at least she made some money by betting on her.

Posted by: Joe | May 6, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I think Obama should run for president. He seems like a great president to me.

Posted by: Amanda | May 6, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

LOL! :-D

The DIMocrats keep proving it!

One more time-For the Dims:

"Barry" Hussein
Saddam Hussein! ;~)

One MORE Time! :-)

Barrack Hussein!
Saddam HUSSEIN!

Hussein, HUSSEIN!-HUSSEIN-HusSEIN!HUssEIN!!HUSSEIN!! ;~)

Posted by: RAT-The | May 6, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Many people were fooled by the neo-cons in the runup to the war, you know, connect-the-dots neo-cons. Unfortunately, while they may try neo-con tactics on others, e.g. Hussein=terrorist, they have barely the IQ needed to survive, much less fool anyone.

Posted by: Will | May 6, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

The republican who made a point of using Obama's middle name, Hussein, is an idiot. Keep on thinking Obama is less electable, fool.

Obama has had enough class in this election not to drag Hill and Bill through the mud. In addition to all the sex scandals and lies, the Clintons haven't even BEGUN to be vetted for the events of the last 10 years.

Posted by: j | May 6, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

WOOHOO!!!

GOBAMA '08!!!!

Americans aren't as stupid as Hil-LIAR-y thinks they are.

Posted by: julie | May 6, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Notice how many of the vocal Obama-haters say his middle name with a special emphasis; I laugh because their showcasing their intolerance and bigotry to the whole world.

Posted by: Brian Young | May 6, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, Rush, it was worth the effort ...

Posted by: JakeD | May 6, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse