The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Barack Obama

Clyburn Endorses Obama

By Debbi Wilgoren
Rep. James E. Clyburn (D-S.C.), the third-ranking Democrat in Congress, endorsed Barack Obama's presidential bid this morning and said he hoped enough other superdelegates would follow suit today to clinch the nomination for the Illinois senator.

Obama "is elevating the political rhetoric, he's elevating our party," Clyburn, 67, said on NBC's "Today" show. "He is bringing to the process new voters, young voters, elder voters. People who are in thirst of a new vision for our country."

Although precise delegate counts differ, Obama, who would be the first African American nominee from a major party, expects to pick up about 20 pledged delegates during primaries today in Montana and South Dakota. He would need about two dozen more superdelegates to secure the nomination and end his protracted battle against rival Hillary Rodham Clinton.

"Today the [primary] process ends," Clyburn said in the "Today" interview. "And I hope that enough of us will announce our intentions today so that this evening our candidate, our presumptive nominee, can get to 2,118."

Clyburn, the highest-ranking African American in Congress, noted that the Democratic Convention this summer will take place on the 45th anniversary of the historic march on Washington in 1963.

He said the Democratic nominee will make an acceptance speech precisely 45 years after the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s iconic "I Have a Dream" speech, and said he hoped the Democratic party would rally around its nominee "just as this country rallied behind the vision of Dr. King."

Clinton campaign chair Terry McAuliffe, who also appeared on "Today," said the New York senator would step aside if Obama reached the necessary threshold of 2,118 pledged and superdelegates -- but not before then.

"If Senator Obama gets to that number, I think Hillary will congratulate him and support him as the nominee," McAuliffe said. "We are going to be a unified party going forward."

Posted at 7:49 AM ET on Jun 3, 2008  | Category:  Barack Obama
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: A Loyalist, Down to the Wire | Next: Up Next: The Right

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I am black and from the third world, but wise enough to realize that Hillary is a victim of sexism and racism. Hillary, hold firm to your God. As the sung goes - "Stand up, stand up for Jesus... the arm of FLESH will fail you, you dare not trust your own." To all you back stabbers out there - God is watching. Do you really sleep good at night?

May God give Hillary the strength and courage to fight for America. Do not go for anything less and please take it to Denver.

Posted by: 20 years cheering | June 5, 2008 2:39 AM

TYPO...

I am embarrassed to be a women. You are terrible. Can you see that this isn't about a women not getting the nomination..it is about CHANGE. I am sick to death of the BUSHs and the CLINTONS.

Posted by: mary | June 4, 2008 1:05 PM

I am unembarrassed to be a women. You are terrible. Can you see that this isn't about a women not getting the nomination..it is about CHANGE. I am sick to death of the BUSHs and the CLINTONS.

Posted by: MARY MILLLER | June 4, 2008 1:04 PM

Obama didnt go anything in the IL legislature other than be involved in the money taking with a slumlord. He has done nothing in the US Senate. He is a wonderful orator and that is it !!! He hires people to be great organizers for him but the people they drew to the primaries will not come out in November in those numbers.
Hillary Clinton not only has world politics experience but she understands how we communicate and how diplomacy can be very successful. She also understands about what the poor and middle class are struggling with right now. Obama hasnt a clue..he went from maybe poor to elite and thats where it ends. Now all of a sudden, he has left his militant church for political reasons just as he joined that church for political reasons. That says a lot about his motives.
Hillary Clinton has been a life long Methodist and never has issues conflicting with her church and her political views and actions. Bottom line is that Hillary Clinton is the only candidate that can beat John McCain in November. The repulicans will devour Obama. I say TAKE IT TO THE CONVENTION SENATOR CLINTON!!!!!

Posted by: Lisa | June 4, 2008 12:22 PM

I am disappointed with our system when the American people have voted and their vote is not being counted.
Too soon, Barack was backed by delegates causing the race to slow down and all to take a look at these numbers.
The media, especially and surprisingly, MSNBC has spoke disrespectfully on many occassion regarding Hillary Clinton; calling her a "nightmare" and referring to her campaign as the "Clinton Camp Pain".
With all said and done, I still and strongly believe that Obama cannot defeat McCain and she needs to be on the ticket as VP OR she needs to make political history and fight to assume her rightful place as THE democratic nominee.
Hillary For President!

Posted by: Rose Marie | June 4, 2008 10:21 AM

I am a feminist, and there is no way I will support Obama. I would rather see the feminist movement die than see Obama become president. I was really hurt that Clinton did not get the nomination. Now McCain gets my vote. I could care less that Obama is a champion of women's rights with a 100% rating from NARAL. I hope McCain turns back the strides in equal rights for women--as he has promised to do--for all I care.

I could care less that McCain laughed hysterically on camera when someone called Hillary a bit*h or that he has said Chelsea Clinton is so ugly because Janet Reno is her father. My bruised feelings are of primary importance to me and the ONLY thing that matters is ME. Until the Democratic Party BLINDLY rubber stamps all female Democratic candidates for President--no matter what rules they break or how often they lie, cheat, steal, race bait and assassination dream--This is what they get!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 3, 2008 4:29 PM

I will not be lectured on party unity by another party elite who believes its OK to treat voters as half humans. Rep. Clyburn seems to assume its up to Senator Clinton to unify the party. Isn't that Senator Obama's great gift as our nominee? Why would we blame Senator Clinton for Senator Obama's short coming in this area? I will not be a lemming because the democratic elite tell me to be. Senator Obama has simply not earned my vote.

Posted by: Jim | June 3, 2008 4:12 PM

Sandy, you have FEAR in your soul.
If your only hope is the Hussein
in your limited vocabulary, then you
are the feared one.

Posted by: Dijon | June 3, 2008 2:47 PM

It is not surprising that Mr. Clyburn endorsed Barack Obama.....just a bit dissapointing.

When John Lewis switched his support from Hillary Clinton to Barack Obama (filled with genuine emotion, and tears in his eyes), his explaination was that making the decision was MORE difficult than when he walked with Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., and was beaten in Thelma. He also explained that he never thought it possible/probable that there would be a Black President in his lifetime. He also eplained that there was pressure from some who questioned his allegence/betrayal; after having been so involved in the March For Freedom and the Civil Rights Movement.

At first I was very moved...respect and emotion for this man's compassion, experience and candor overwhelmed me.
Then I felt saddened to realize that he had switched his support from Hillary Clinton to Barack Obama because of race/skin color.

I think that the "Dream" would have been truly realized had John Lewis said, "I have walked with Rev. Matin Luther King Jr,. and I was beaten in Thelma when marching for freedom and equality. I have been deeply involved with the Civil Rights Movement. I will not endorse a candidate because of a candidates' skin color. I will endorse a candidate based on experience, qualifications and character.".

Posted by: Teresa | June 3, 2008 2:45 PM

I urge all fellow Democrats to back McCain! Don't believe the sexist lies of Barry Hussein Obama.

Posted by: Sandy | June 3, 2008 1:50 PM

Hey let's get on with electing a democrat for president, and more dem congressmen. We have waited long enough to sweep out GOP troubled waters. UNIFY NOW!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Day late and a dollar short. You Brownies should thopught of that at the start of the primary, not at the end. Are you used to locking the barn after the horse is gone?

Posted by: Chief | June 3, 2008 1:32 PM

Old Clayburn edoresed Hussein way back when he accused the Clinton's of making racist remarks. He has tried to make a show of not breaking his word. Announcing your wife and family has endorsed Hussein but you haven't is deceit in its worst form. Typical lying politician. I may be a fool, but I'm not a damned fool. Clayburn, that boat won't float, the story is too full of holes.

Posted by: Chief | June 3, 2008 1:29 PM

Posted by: richard | June 3, 2008 1:24 PM

And one more thing ... although this is not directed to anyone's prior comment ... I certainly hope no one in their right mind thinks Senator Obama is going to be able to come in and within a 24-hour span with a magic wand in his hand be able to instantly undo all the mess Dubya has produced in 7-1/2 years and be able to transform our country.

That is not possible for anyone to do. It is going to take time, it is going to take patience on the part of the American people, it is going to take perseverance, intelligence, determination and focus to bring us back on our feet again. Realistically, however, I know there are going to be those who will condemn every step he makes.

And IMO, Senator Obama is the right man for the job.

Posted by: luv2laff | June 3, 2008 1:04 PM

Chaya08,
I'd stop blaming the media and other external factors for Hillary's defeat. Her campaign ought to look into the mirror and realize that it only has itself to blame for the loss: Discounting the caucuses starting with Iowa, not having a broad-based campaign funding strategy (ever heard of the Internet?), Mark Penn not realizing that the Dem. party awards delegates proportionally, Patti Solis Doyle being completely over her head as campaign manager, Bill shooting his mouth off, a disastrous media relations team, "snipers" in Bosnia. flip-flop on the illegal immigrants licenses in NY and above all, acting as if the candidacy was an entitlement of anyone with last name Clinton rather than fighting for it - these are the main reasons why she lost. I have no doubt that she is better qualified but if she can't even run an efficient primary campaign, then what confidence would the voting public have in her ability to run the White House? Choosing loyalists rather than qualified people who would get the job done, she shot herself in the foot on this one.

Posted by: cpatwork | June 3, 2008 1:02 PM

Mark W. wrote:
Dee, I agree, now we can all babysit Barry instead of W. This kid may be teachable but inexperience will make the learning curve harder to deal with in most cases.

Alot of folks trying to obtain the American dream on Barry's promises may get dissapointed if the usual true patriots do not watch his back for him.
*******************************************
Okay ... first of all ... my post is not to insult you or your comment. I just happen not to agree if I am, in fact, reading your comment correctly.

First of all, It is an insult to group Senator Obama with "Dubya" who cannot possibly hold a candle to Senator Obama.

Secondly, we'll probably do a lot better with Senator Obama's promises than we have done in the past 7-1/2 years in spite of his "inexperience." We have had someone who came from a political family, was elected for one term initially, then re-elected by those who had the wool pulled over their eyes, but he did more damage in his second term than anyone could have possibly imagined.

Fred Flintstone would be better than what we've had to endure for the past 7-1/2 years.

As for the "usual true patriots" who you say will need to watch Senator Obama's back for him, are they not the same usual true patriots who have gotten this country into the horrible mess it's in now? Those of us who are supporting Senator Obama are trying to get away from the same old political machine which has produced politics as usual with very little results. Now you are correct in saying someone will need to watch his back because he certainly cannot run the country on his own, but for it to be the usual true patriots, I question how "true" they really are as opposed to be self-serving.

Posted by: luv2laff | June 3, 2008 12:57 PM

choya: Look, we are SICK of these primaries, which have become divisive, degrading, and obnoxious. THAT's why we want Clinton to drop out. We are worried that McCain, who is certifiably insane, is going to romp all over the democrats this fall unless we get our act together. Why don't you put the good of the country over your own freaking disappointments, huh?

Posted by: glory | June 3, 2008 12:36 PM

Barack is on the verge of a historical moment. I urge him not to get caught up in its excitement by offering Hillary the vice presidential running mate post. Remember, Barack, you at this point because your supporters did not want Hillary to become president. Your supporters did not want to see Bill Clinton as the "shadow president" in a Hillary administration. Stay true to you principles. Stay true to the person we all believe in and support. Do not go the route of "cylinical Washington politics" based on some imagined calculation of the "best chance of getting elected". You have gotten this far because of your principles not in spite of them. If you truly believe in "bottom up politics" rather than the "top down politics" you have been running against, then listen to your supporters, like myself, who have contributed financially to your campaign and have made telephone calls on your behalf. We do not want Hillary on the ticket with you.

Posted by: Richard Whetstone | June 3, 2008 12:34 PM

Posted by: chaya08
************************
wow...the tears won't come...the tears won't come.

Posted by: the whine continues... | June 3, 2008 12:33 PM

*Hillary will deliver the women 45+ vote to Obama.
* The Republican Party will deliver the 'latino' vote to Obama.

Obama will be the next President of the U.S.A.

Posted by: PCM 01 | June 3, 2008 12:22 PM

It is funny how anxious Obamaniacs are for Hillary to drop out so Obama can declare!If Obama cannot close the deal with ALL the black support and the media fawning all over him,hey think why he is not able to(that is if you are capable of thinking).Cable talking heads keep saying she lost the election,since Iowa,ha ha ha ,and she needs to unify the Party and help Barack win.You folks are disgusting and even if Hillary drops out I will not help put Obama in the White House even if it means a Mccain win.Got it boys?!

Posted by: chaya08 | June 3, 2008 12:20 PM

Rahig, are you racist ? Maybe Clyburg figures he got himself a kid to handle. Looking at history here we got Powell then Condi and Gonzeles for that matter. Pelosi is good friends with Rice I guess. That Whitehouse lapdog label must have come from somewhere right ? Hope Barnie does not bite her.

Posted by: Mark W. | June 3, 2008 12:19 PM

R Said: "Where the hell is Howard Dean!!!..."

In some regard I may agree with you because fiasco in Florida and Michigan were sorta poo-pooed through Compromise. Some 600,000 votes were not counted, can you say Democracy ? I don't really dig the fact that an assembly body partly responsible or irresponsible for fiasco became the resoluting body. To me, that would be like putting Brownie in charge of investigating Katrina response failures.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 3, 2008 12:11 PM

Col. Khajawall, if I understand correctly you are an Obama suppotrer?

With all due respect and giving you the benefit of the doubt when you use words and odd turns of phrase, it might be a good idea to re-write your post in more understandable English.

I am being sincere, as I do not understand who exactly you are supporting or 100% what you are saying.

Posted by: R | June 3, 2008 12:02 PM

Looks to be coming to an end. Clinton, after a very messy campaign, might actually be effective at changing tactics and supporting the party nominee. It's funny how quickly things can change in only a few months, for the good or bad. It happens, I remember in the cartoons when the smurfs might join forces with gargamel to fight a worse enemy, or the ninja turtles with the helmut guy (striker, was it?). So yeah, warring factions will join forces in the end if they have a common foe. Aside from a few wackos who will never be pleased, it could actually turn out to be a united front.

Posted by: Grimmix | June 3, 2008 12:01 PM

Cal you sound a bit like someone in need of psychiatric help...

It's ok to send black people to do our dirty work because they can't find enough decent jobs at home, so we exploit their financial predicaments and put them into uniforms. But not to become president?

Like I have said befoe, people claim Obama would not be where he is if he were white?

Wake up bubba, if Hillary Clinton were black where do you think she would be? Sure as heck not where she is today!

Being black is still sadly a disadvantage in our country thanks to people who seem to have a problem about race. People like you.

Obama has come this far despite having the disadvantage in the USA of being black, not because of it. Clinton is where she is today because she belongs to the wealthy white class that has been grabbing and holding onto power for many decades.

I am a WASP but I I am not a bigot. Maybe you should go through the scenario: join the army; go kill and, if you're lucky; come home and get an education.

Posted by: R | June 3, 2008 11:45 AM

Where the hell is Howard Dean!!!

After allowing this mess to continue
in this fashion, Howard Dean must
be told to step down from his
position as DNC Chair.

The never should have become so
divisive! We need leaders and
unite through these very difficult times!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 3, 2008 11:42 AM

I've taken the day off work to
encourage everyone to warn the
following Delegates that we will
un-seat them as soon as possible,

Unless they pull their support
from the Lobbyist Pigs that are
the Clintons. They have less than
24 hrs to do so...

_________________________________

Clinton
DNC Patti Higgins (AK)
DNC Joe Reed (AL)
DNC Randy Kelley (AL)
DNC Yvonne Kennedy (AL)
Gov. Togiola Tulafono (AS)
DNC Fagafaga Langkilde (AS)
DNC Deanna Fuimaono (AS)
DNC Nathaniel Savali (AS)
Rep. Ed Pastor (AZ)
DNC Joe Rios (AZ)
DNC Janice C. Brunson (AZ)
DNC Carolyn Warner (AZ)
Gov. Mike Beebe (AR)
Sen. Mark Pryor (AR)
Sen. Blanche Lincoln (AR)
Rep. Marion Berry (AR)
Rep. Mike Ross (AR)
Rep. Vic Snyder (AR)
DNC Don Beavers (AR)
DNC Martha Dixon (AR)
DNC Karla Bradley (AR)
DNC Bill Gwatney (AR)
Mark Wilcox (AR)#
Sen. Barbara Boxer (CA)
Sen. Dianne Feinstein (CA)
Rep. Maxine Waters (CA)
Rep. Joe Baca (CA)
Rep. Doris Matsui (CA)
Rep. Mike Thompson (CA)
Rep. Lynn Woolsey (CA)
Rep. Jane Harman (CA)
Rep. Grace Napolitano (CA)
Rep. Laura Richardson (CA)
Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA)
Rep. Brad Sherman (CA)
Rep. Hilda Solis (CA)
Rep. Ellen Tauscher (CA)
Rep. Diane Watson (CA)
Rep. Loretta Sanchez (CA)
Rep. Jackie Speier (CA)
DNC Alice Huffman (CA)
DNC Alicia Wang (CA)
DNC Rosalind Wyman (CA)
DNC Charles Manatt (CA)
DNC Kamil Hasan (CA)
DNC Mona Pasquil (CA)
DNC Mirian Saez (CA)
DNC Garry Shay (CA)
DNC Hon. Maria Echaveste (CA)
DNC Rachel Binah (CA)
DNC Christopher Stampolis (CA)
DNC Aleita Huguenin (CA)
DNC Keith Umemoto (CA)
Carolyn Doggett (CA)#
Dario Frommer (CA)#
Dora Rubio (CA)#
Rep. Diana DeGette (CO)
DNC Manny Rodriguez (CO)
DNC Maria Handley (CO)
DNC Ramona Martinez (CO)
DNC Ellen Camhi (CT)
DNC John Olsen (CT)
DNC Robert Bell (DA)*
DNC Leo Perez Minaya (DA)*
DNC Theresa Morelli (DA)*
Gov. Ruth Ann Minner (DE)
DNC Rhett Ruggerio (DE)
DNC Karen Valentine (DE)
DNC Mary Eva Candon (DC)
DNC Yolanda Caraway (DC)
DNC Hartina Flournoy (DC)
DNC Harold Ickes (DC)
DNC Ben Johnson (DC)
DNC Eric Kleinfeld (DC)
DNC Minyon Moore (DC)
DNC Elizabeth Smith (DC)
DNC Marilyn Tyler Brown (DC)
DNC Mona Mohib (DC)
Sen. Bill Nelson (FL)*
Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (FL)*
Rep. Alcee Hastings (FL)*
Rep. Corrine Brown (FL)*
Rep. Kendrick Meek (FL)*
DNC Raul Martinez (FL)*
DNC Chuck Mohlke (FL)*
DNC Ken Curtis (FL)*
DNC Michael Thurmond (GA)
DNC Carole Dabbs (GA)
DNC Lonnie Plott (GA)
Verna Cleveland (GA)#
DNC Taling Taitano (GU)
DNC Pilar Lujan (GU)
Sen. Daniel Inouye (HI)
DNC Richard Port (HI)
Sen. Evan Bayh (IN)
Rep. Brad Ellsworth (IN)
DNC Dan Parker (IN)
DNC Phoebe Crane (IN)
DNC Bob Pastrick (IN)
Rep. Leonard Boswell (IA)
DNC Sandy Opstvedt (IA)
DNC Mike Gronstal (IA)
DNC Teresa Krusor (KS)
DNC Terry McBrayer (KY)
DNC Jo Etta Wickliffe (KY)
DNC Moretta Bosley (KY)
DNC Patsy Arcenaux (LA)
DNC Renee Gill-Pratt (LA)
DNC Claude "Buddy" Leach (LA)
DNC Chris Whittington (LA)
Gov. John Baldacci (ME)
Sen. Barbara Mikulski (MD)
Gov. Martin O'Malley (MD)
Rep. CA Dutch Ruppersberger (MD)
DNC Nancy Kopp (MD)
DNC Glenard Middleton (MD)
DNC Alvaro Cifuentes (MD)
DNC Richard Michalski (MD)
DNC Michael Steed (MD)
DNC Maria Cordone (MD)
DNC Carol Pensky (MD)
Kathleen Kennedy Townsend (MD)#
Rep. Richard Neal (MA)
Rep. Jim McGovern (MA)
Rep. Barney Frank (MA)
Rep. Stephen Lynch (MA)
DNC Steven Grossman (MA)
DNC Debra DeLee (MA)
DNC Gus Bickford (MA)
DNC Dr. Elaine Kamarck (MA)
DNC Diane Saxe (MA)
Martha Coakley (MA)#
Arthur Powell (MA)#
Gov. Jennifer Granholm (MI)*
Hon. John Cherry (MI)*
Sen. Debbie Stabenow (MI)*
Rep. Sander Levin (MI)*
DNC Joel Ferguson (MI)*
Rep. Dale Kildee (MI)*
Rep. John Dingell (MI)*
VP Walter Mondale (MN)
DNC Jackie Stevenson (MN)
DNC Rick Stafford (MN)
Rep. Emanuel Cleaver II (MO)
Rep. Ike Skelton (MO)
Fmr. Rep. Dick Gephardt (MO)
DNC Doug Brooks (MO)
DNC Sandy Querry (MO)
Rep. Shelley Berkley (NV)
DNC Dina Titus (NV)
DNC Gaeten DiGangi (NH)
DNC Anita Freedman (NH)
Kathy Sullivan (NH)#
Gov. Jon Corzine (NJ)
Sen. Robert Menendez (NJ)
Rep. Robert Andrews (NJ)
Rep. Frank Pallone (NJ)
Rep. Bill Pascrell (NJ)
Rep. Albio Sires (NJ)
DNC Joseph DeCotiis (NJ)
DNC Joe Cryan (NJ)
DNC Tonio Burgos (NJ)
DNC June Fisher (NJ)
Jim Florio (NJ)#
Brendan Byrne (NJ)#
DNC Diane Denish (NM)
DNC Martin Chavez (NM)
DNC Mary Gail Gwaltney (NM)
DNC Raymond Sanchez (NM)
DNC Annadelle Sanchez (NM)
DNC Christine Trujillo (NM)
President Bill Clinton (NY)
Sen. Hillary Clinton (NY)
Sen. Chuck Schumer (NY)
Gov. David Paterson (NY)
Rep. Gary Ackerman (NY)
Rep. Michael Arcuri (NY)
Rep. Timothy Bishop (NY)
Rep. Joseph Crowley (NY)
Rep. Eliot Engel (NY)
Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand (NY)
Rep. John Hall (NY)
Rep. Brian Higgins (NY)
Rep. Maurice Hinchey (NY)
Rep. Steve Israel (NY)
Rep. Nita Lowey (NY)
Rep. Carolyn Maloney (NY)
Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (NY)
Rep. Michael McNulty (NY)
Rep. Gregory Meeks (NY)
Rep. Jerrold Nadler (NY)
Rep. Charles Rangel (NY)
Richard Schaffer (NY)
Rep. Jose Serrano (NY)
Rep. Louise Slaughter (NY)
Rep. Edolphus Towns (NY)
Rep. Nydia Velazquez (NY)
Rep. Anthony Weiner (NY)
Rep. Yvette D. Clarke (NY)
DNC June O'Neill (NY)
DNC Reginald LaFayette (NY)
DNC Randi Weingarten (NY)
DNC Vivian Cook (NY)
DNC Emily Giske (NY)
DNC Judith Hope (NY)
DNC Maria Luna (NY)
DNC Sylvia Tokasz (NY)
DNC Dennis Mehiel (NY)
DNC Sheldon Silver (NY)
DNC Irene Stein (NY)
Carmen Arroyo (NY)#
Virginia Fields (NY)#
Tom DiNapoli (NY)#
Andrew Cuomo (NY)#
DNC Robert Zimmerman (NY)
DNC Roberto Ramirez (NY)
DNC Herman Farrell Jr. (NY)
Gov. Mike Easley (NC)
Rep. Heath Shuler (NC)
DNC Susan Burgess (NC)
Gov. Ted Strickland (OH)
Rep. Betty Sutton (OH)
Rep. Tim Ryan (OH)
Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (OH)
DNC William Burga (OH)
William Bashein (OH)#
DNC Betty McElderry (OK)
Gov. Ted Kulongoski (OR)
Rep. Darlene Hooley (OR)
Gov. Ed Rendell (PA)
Rep. Chris Carney (PA)
Rep. John Murtha (PA)
Rep. Joe Sestak (PA)
Rep. Allyson Schwartz (PA)
Rep. Paul Kanjorski (PA)
DNC Hon. TJ Rooney (PA)
DNC Rena Baumgartner (PA)
DNC Marcel Groen (PA)
DNC Jean Milko (PA)
DNC Evelyn Richardson (PA)
DNC Gerald McEntee (PA)
DNC Ruth Rudy (PA)
DNC Ian Murray (PA)
DNC Sophie Masloff (PA)
DNC Ronald Donatucci (PA)
DNC William George (PA)
DNC Roberto Prats (PR)
DNC Kenneth McClintock (PR)
DNC Francisco Domenech (PR)
DNC Luisette Cabanas (PR)
Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (RI)
Rep. Jim Langevin (RI)
DNC Grace Diaz (RI)
DNC David Cicilline (RI)
DNC William Lynch (RI)
DNC Mark Weiner (RI)
Edna O'Neill Mattson (RI)
Hon. Frank Montanaro (RI)
DNC Don Fowler (SC)
DNC Marva Smalls (SC)
Rep. John Tanner (TN)
DNC Bill Owen (TN)
DNC Elisa Parker (TN)
DNC Hon. Myron Lowery (TN)
DNC Jimmie Farris (TN)
Vicky Harwell (TN)#
Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (TX)
Rep. Henry Cuellar (TX)
DNC Sue Lovell (TX)
Rep. Ruben Hinojosa (TX)
Rep. Silvestre Reyes (TX)
Rep. Gene Green (TX)
Rep. Solomon Ortiz (TX)
Rep. Ciro Rodriguez (TX)
Former Speaker Jim Wright (TX)
DNC Norma Fisher Flores (TX)
DNC David Holmes (TX)
DNC Bob Slagle (TX)
DNC Jaime Gonzalez Jr. (TX)
DNC Robert Martinez (TX)
DNC Hon. Karen Hale (UT)
DNC Terry McAuliffe (VA)
DNC Lionel Spruill Sr. (VA)
DNC Mame Reiley (VA)
DNC Susan Swecker (VA)
Barbara Easterling (VA)
Del. Donna M Christensen (VI)
DNC Kevin Rodriquez (VI)
DNC Billi Gosh (VT)
Sen. Patty Murray (WA)
Sen. Maria Cantwell (WA)
Rep. Jay Inslee (WA)
Former Speaker Tom Foley (WA)
DNC Ron Sims (WA)
Rep. Norm Dicks (WA)
DNC Eileen Macoll (WA)
Rep. Tammy Baldwin (WI)
DNC Tim Sullivan (WI)
DNC Marie Prezioso (WV)
DNC Pat Maroney (WV)
DNC Belinda Biafore (WV)

Posted by: Anonymous | June 3, 2008 11:39 AM

Am sure the McCain camp has a whole basket full of covert and overt daggers just waiting for opportunities of ambush. He is going to have to work twice as hard at foreign diplomacy to match the Clintons.

Posted by: Mark W. | June 3, 2008 11:37 AM

cal wrote:
___________________________________________

Wow cal, did you fail every English class you took in school?

The good news is that NOTHING you do will prevent President Obama from taking office.

Posted by: fairfax3 | June 3, 2008 11:34 AM

THIS IS SUCH OLD NEWS. CLYBURN HAS BEEN IN THE OBAMA TANK ALL ALONG.

NOT SO FAST , THIS RACE IS FAR FROM OVER, NEITHER CANDIDATE WILL RECEIVE THE NOMINATION UNTIL THE DNC CONVENTION IN LATE AUGUST. YOU KNOW THAT. WAIT UNTIL THE NEW TAPES ARE SHOW TOMORROW WITH MICHELLE OBAMA AND FARAKHAAN AND YOU'LL BE EATING CROW FOR BREAKFAST ALONG WITH ALL MEDIA WHO HAVE BEEN IN THE TANK FOR OBAMA. LOL.

Join womenforfairpolitics.com and sign the petition to encourage Hillary to take it to the convention where she can prevail. No one will be the nominee until late August at the convention where the delegates who are not really "pledged", they can vote for whomever they wish will vote to nominate the next Pres. candidate for the Dems. Their job is to nominate the most electable candidate for the general election. That candidate is and shall remain Hillary Rodham Clinton. Call them all and demand they support the better candidate, Hillary Clinton. Obama is unelectable.

The failure of the Democratic party to denounce the rampant sexism, racism, classism and voter disenfranchisement practiced by Barack Obama, his campaign and nasty supporters and the entire MEDIA is at their own peril. We will be voting for McCain in November if the Dems foolishly nominate an unqualified and unelectable Obama.

The Democratic party must learn a lesson. We will NOT stand for sexism,classism, racism and voter disenfranchisement. We will not stand for 1/2 vote for Michigan in Florida, 1/2 a person? It calls to mind the old, unacceptable Jim Crow laws when blacks were considered 3/4 a person. THIS 1/2 person/vote rule is even WORSE!

The Democratic party understands two things, money and votes. We have the power to withhold BOTH. DO SO, NOW. Thank you.

BREAKING NEWS WATCH FOR NEW TAPES TOMORROW SHOWING MICHELLE OBAMA AND FARAKHAAN TOGETHER RAILING AGAINST WHITES.....STAY TUNED......THE OBAMA TRAIN IS ABOUT TO DERAIL AGA

Posted by: JK | June 3, 2008 11:30 AM

Posted by: JK | June 3, 2008 11:32 AM

To all of the Clinton supporters who are constantly ranting about Obama's "racism". Exactly what are you referring to? Don't reply with things that others around him have said - what has he said to make you believe he is a racist?

Posted by: NM Moderate | June 3, 2008 11:32 AM

Why a "big news" item. It should be no surprise that a black poltician endorses Obama when he has gathered roughly 95% of the black vote. The only surprise here is the late endorsement. Guess Clyburn was wanting to make sure the chickens were all in the basket.

Posted by: Ken | June 3, 2008 11:10 AM

A stunningly bad black machine politician endorsing an empty suit black machine politician...shocking!! And with the timing, a profile in courage to boot!

Posted by: profile_in_courage | June 3, 2008 11:06 AM

Excellent endorsement, though hardly surprising. Rep. Clyburn is solid, well-respected, and a measured spokesman for the great middle of the Democratic party. Now is the day for all the rest of the undeclared superdelegates to speak up for Obama.

Uniting the party to defeat the cynical and profoundly ignorant John McCain in November is now Job No. 1.

Posted by: dee | June 3, 2008 11:02 AM

Clyburn is the first nail in the Clinton campaign coffin. The long dead campaign inside the coffin is really starting to stink!

Posted by: Kevin Schmidt | June 3, 2008 11:02 AM

What is wrong with people??? This Obama is a reciest by every sence of the word. Do you think for a minute he has the support of our military. God help America if this man get elected president. I for one a long time DEm. wil do what ever it takes to keep that from happening. Wake up America more evil coming our way!

Posted by: cal | June 3, 2008 10:57 AM

I think this is the Black Caucus jumping the gun trying to win more votes and delegates for Obama. See Democrats can't follow the rules, like making announcements after the final Primary is held, but we knew Democrats can't follow their own party rules wonder how they will do with the Constitution in 2009 ? Oh well, some deserve a pendulum stuck to the far left now, it will only last for four years at the most. Hurry up and get yours everyone, just like Republicans.

Posted by: Mark W. | June 3, 2008 10:56 AM

Rollback Said: "I cannot let the Republican blame shift continue, the "Bridge to Nowhere" is a project put forth by Republican Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska, not Representative James Clyburn..."

Look, Congress in general is guilty of practicing Voodoo economics back to the inception of Homeland Security. Some of these greedy bass turd insiders exploited Katrina Relief in the same manner. How many Billions of dollars was wasted there ?

You know, but they are all in it together. Things not germaine to a particular Bill are hardly ever called. Republican and Democratics alike have their own pet projects like earmarks that have funded a particular privated school year after year through Defense Bills. If we were to take alook at Faith Based Welfare or Incubator type Grants being renewed year after year then these ploys are contrary to Capitalism because the entities become dependent on Uncle Sam instead of turning profits to self dependency.

I mean, where is the offset to a three million dollar golf complex ? Why is there not a Statute of Tiger Woods in front of that place if the goal is providing Golfing skills ? Would a kid not be more motivated by a replica of Tiger and not an earmarker ? Well, I guess he got his own.

Transportation infrastructure through a "Bridge to Nowhere" is more germaine than a Golf Complex, would you agree ? But hey travel around the Country and see how many projects are named in Honor of a Congress person getting the funds. Some do have merits through building assets for America, others not, in my not so humble opinion.

I think the problem is/was that a Political Hack was really running the Country, Reagonomics appealed to a certain percentage of the voting public. Strong on defense and weak in brain skills. And that my friend is why Politics keeps me up at night.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 3, 2008 10:48 AM

Will the time ever come that the media and the black community call themselves "Americans" instead of african americans?
Only then will America become unified,but it appears as though the african americans want to stand alone.If that is the case I don't see Obama winning the election in November!

Posted by: DCH | June 3, 2008 10:35 AM

The poor use of the English language and the retaliation attitude of some of the comments are DESTROYING the Democratic party and feeding right into the hands of rich white republicans---if you are going to post a comment, PLEASE use proper verbs, tense and content

Posted by: chrismndc | June 3, 2008 10:33 AM

Obama hijacks MLK Jr.'s glory shamelessly to promote himself. Too bad that through his miserable tactics he ends up just smearing an American hero.

Posted by: ladiesfirst | June 3, 2008 10:29 AM

Everybody hold your horses about Webb. He is a full on neocon. He was literally part of Reagan's administration. Worse he supported the super wasteful extremely stupid artificial goal of a 600 ship Navy. Many many more ships that the Navy did not want, could not afford, and could not even crew.

James H. Webb, remained a fierce proponent of the expanded fleet, and disagreed with Carlucci over how to cut the Navy budget in line with other services. Webb resigned rather than endorse Carlucci's cut of 16 frigates.[3] As revealed in The Reagan Diaries, Reagan reflected about Webb's resignation on February 22, 1988: "Present Sec. Webb resigned over budget cuts. I don't think Navy was sorry to see him go."

Posted by: ArchAngel | June 3, 2008 10:19 AM

Dear American Voters,

Hon. Senator McCain and Obama, besides each having many attributes and characteristics. The critical differences in my professional, political, and personal opinion are as under:

1. Presidential "Temperament and Composer".
2. Little Washington "insider Versus outsider" connectedness.
3. Vision and mission for our nation future rather than past.
4. American policies first USA centric than other countries centric.

In my professional opinion one senator has it and the other does not. We need one for our Greatgrand Nation to address our all these challenges with a fresh, clean and new slate.

God Bless America. its diverse people, and our Greatgrand Nation.

Yours truly,

COL. [retd] A.M.Khajawall
Forensic psychiatrist, Las Vegas NV

Posted by: Col. [retd] A.M.Khajawall | June 3, 2008 10:13 AM

Hillary now has every reason to run as an Independent. Go Hillary!

Posted by: Mark Davis | June 3, 2008 10:13 AM

The problem as I see it is discrimination. Bush Administration is guilty for carrying the torch for One-Percenters only. McCain has tasked himself for finishing Bush's Legacy goals. Root of McCain's name is warrior. And so is McCain going to carry the torch for the Military/Industrial Complex ? Ike had a stern warning about that in his farewell address, call it foresight if you will.

Certain families in the United States, including the Blue bloods back east, have fought for Freedom and Democracy back to the Revolutionary War. Patriot/Farmers immigrants are the heartbeat of America carrying the torch through Declaration of Independence through the Civil War through a couple of world wars up to the present day. These are the same Heroes welcomed home to pursue a better life through education on the GI Bill to breed the Boomer Generation. The Third World War, the Cold war, was mainly fought covertly with much propaganda. It was mainly a war exploiting fear much like current day modalities. United States is still the only nation in the world to use a nuclear device in a time of war, for right or wrong.

If, a person of color and/or a woman is elected to the highest Public Servant Office in our land, that person must be willing to carry the torch for everyone, even marching for Latinos in search of the American dream if necessary. I am bothered by the Clyburn endorsement. Apparently there is a Statute erected in his self honor, can you say egocentric, in front of a three million dollar Golf Complex in South Carolina. That three million dollar earmark was appropriated through a Defense Spending Bill. I would have spent that money on a Woodstock Memorial myself, seems less egocentric.

You can name any old timer in Congress that claims to have a right of priveledge for earmarks, Murtha sticks out in my mind. But since the inception of Homeland Security and the war against an ideology we the people have been exploited. And it will take our children to pay back that exploitation.

I got your trickle down right here, politics above economics ? Fiscal responsibility, making tax breaks to One-Percenters permanent ? Record profits in Oil Industry while we continue to fight wars for "Vital Interests" which inflate oil prices ?

Posted by: Mark W. | June 3, 2008 10:06 AM

posted by dab:
"HRC fans: IT'S OVER! Her campaign over the last few months has been horrific and in the gutter."

Been visiting the Trinity Church again?? But, please, repeat this often. I expect many more Democrats will be voting McCain!!

Reject party bosses taking your vote - VOTE McCain 08!!!

Go McCain 08!

Posted by: Keith | June 3, 2008 10:03 AM

all white folks is racist if they don't vote for obama but that is okay cause we are taking over the white house in november. just like the iventer of the peanut said, goerge washington carver, the black man will not be free until he is in the white house.

Posted by: Lakisha | June 3, 2008 10:03 AM

Donna, did you remember what your momma said, when the caucus results appeared to be heavily lopsided in the favor of one candidate? And, which was clear in the state of Washington! Probably you were telling your colleagues then, "My momma says, when your friend is not watching, grab his chocolate and run away. These are our moral values!"

Posted by: Rick | June 3, 2008 10:01 AM

Clyburn,
did the right thing by holding out until now to endorse Obama or Clinton. He is an elder statesmen who wields tremendous influence. By holding out until the people have clearly spoken insures his vote is in line with the wishes of the people.

For the HRC supporters, you can accuse Senator Obama for HRC defeat but you would be wrong. You need to do a mirror test. HRC made some tragic mistakes and fatal assumptions. It is only because she is a "Clinton" that the race wasn't called two months ago.

Posted by: SteelWheel1 | June 3, 2008 9:36 AM

I cannot let the Republican blame shift continue, the "Bridge to Nowhere" is a project put forth by Republican Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska, not Representative James Clyburn. Republicans are so ashamed of their earmark abuse that they now want to make them all the blame of Democrats. Democrats drastically reduced earmarks in the current Congress.

Posted by: rollwood | June 3, 2008 9:32 AM

Congratulations to Rep. Clyburn for his endorsement of Sen. Obama. He has been dismayed by the Clintons' dirty tricks for months now, but withheld his endorsement of Obama until the nomination was clinched.

Btw, the Bridge to Nowhere is in Alaska, not South Carolina, and has nothing to do with Clyburn. Another smear by the Clinton camp against someone who didn't do their bidding?

Posted by: bam | June 3, 2008 9:32 AM

Typical republican idiot appears: it was the Republican, Ted Stevens who pushed the "Bridge to Nowhere" earmark for a spot near Ketchikan, Alaska.

Posted by: shrink2 | June 3, 2008 9:29 AM

[Quote by: Mark W. on June 3, 2008 8:08 AM] To me, Clyburn is another example of an assumed seniority in the House that makes earmarks a privilege. Does not seem to be a shining example of fiscal responsibility. Back in 2007 the South Carolina GOP attacked him for adding 3 million dollars to a Defense Bill for a Golf Center in his home state.
__________________________________________

And don't forget Representative Clyburn's infamous "Bridge to Nowhere" that would have created the construction of an interstate type highway into little known parts of the state. Few people wanted the project, including the people living there.

These are the legislators who would flock to an Obama Administration with earmarks in hand while domestic and foreign policy rots and festers for a future administration to have to fix, as was the case in the 90's under Clinton and the Democrat Politburo.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 3, 2008 9:19 AM

Now we need to crush the Repulicans.
I can't wait to get back to work to turn this campaign into the walkover we need
We need to send the strong, correct message (and of course its messenger) to Washington and the world.

We can not move this country to a sustainable economic future without the support and perhaps even the admiration of the rest of the world.

Posted by: shrink2 | June 3, 2008 9:09 AM

Jim Clyburn, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and the other congressional top leadership made a commitment to wait to endorse until the nominee was clear, so that they would be available in case of a deadlock. At this point there is no deadlock and it seems perfectly fine for Clyburn to go ahead.

He has quite obviously gone through hell standing by his commitment ever since the primary in his own state of South Carolina and I think he HAS been a profile in courage to stand by his word for the good of the party. It must have been unbelievably frustrating to stand by and not endorse.

I think the few times he has broken his silence, still not to endorse, but making his concerns clear, were appropriate and called for.

I like this guy and can only compare the various comments here to couch potatoes condemning a top athlete on the TV from the overstuffed living room couch. He deserves praise not snark.

Posted by: Fairfax Voter | June 3, 2008 8:55 AM

If Hillary is part of the package, I'll vote Republican. I swear I will.

Posted by: Shannon | June 3, 2008 8:54 AM

Now that it is virtually over, Hillary supporters and voters might think (and argue loudly)that it was a host of nasty or evil attacks that cut short Hillary's run to the White House.

That is not the case.

Truth be told, it was not the myriad of missteps and foolish gaffes that combined to do in Mrs. Clinton---it was her willingness to follow the advice of her senior campaign staff -- especially as that advice related to three things:

1. Believing that she would win the contest by February 5 (Super Tuesday), and as a consequence of that error;

2. Deciding that the caucus states were not worth contesting -- essentially because they would not be needed; and finally,

3. Spending a huge fortune of campaign funds too rapidly on the primaries through Super Tuesday - and then "running out" of money.

As a result of these errors in judgment and loyalty to the wrong set of senior staff - Hillary revealed a fatal weakness in her readiness to be the President.

Normally, these errors, however serious, might have been overcome. But, in 2008, she was up against an unusually good challenger - someone who knew how to hire the right folks who could then organize both the internet money machine and the ground organization in every state.

Furthermore, Obama's capacity to energize voters compellingly has been hugely assisted by a voting population who was far more angry and ready to mobilize against the current (George W. Bush) administration than at any time since we mainstream Americans revolted to create Johnson's Vietnam purgatory.

In combination with the national groundswell of anger against the status quo, Hillary's campaign mismanagement (until recently) was enough to deny her the Presidency.

And, it has.

Posted by: GandalftheGrey | June 3, 2008 8:53 AM

After months of verbally lashing Bill and Hillary, accusing them of racism, while claiming to be neutral, it's the finally coming out of the neutral and uncommitted superdelgate, Clyburn. What a timing?

Hey, Donna, you can now shed your sheep clothing, and do a Clyburn, you too! Your job's done. Stop hiding in plain view of the people - on CNN!

Posted by: dennisdean | June 3, 2008 8:50 AM

JUST HOPE AND NO POLITICS.

Barack Obama (POTUS)

Chuck Hagel (VP)

John Edwards (AG)

Janet Napolitano (State)

Jim Webb (Defense)

Gregory Mankiw (Treasury)

------------------------------

Let us unite as Americans.

YES WE CAN

Let us tear down the barriers dividing us.

YES WE CAN

Americans first. Democrats or Republicans later.

YES WE CAN

Let us honor the sacrifices of generations of Americans.

YES WE CAN

Let us restore America's moral standing in the world.

YES WE CAN

COURAGE IS ALL IT TAKES.

YES WE CAN

Posted by: Jayant Yadav | June 3, 2008 8:44 AM

Clyburn waits to the end to endorse someone when the campaign is decided and it will have no impact. This man is certainly not a profile in courage. I guess better late than never.

Posted by: svbreeder | June 3, 2008 8:35 AM

Yawn.

Posted by: Lynn | June 3, 2008 8:21 AM

Obama/Biden 2008!!!

Posted by: dab, NY | June 3, 2008 8:12 AM

Go Clyburn!

As for the rest...Too much Kryptonite in their corn flakes? In what has been a less than perfect process from the get-go, these so-called superdelegates remain more powerful than a locomotive though decidedly less speedy than a speeding bullet. As far as leaping tall buildings with a single bound? Many of them seem incapable of getting up off of the couch, or out of their chairs to do the job assigned to them. How super is that?

Let's come together and work on rescuing the next generation of young Americans from the very real dangers of ill-conceived elective wars and unemployment lines. That would be truly super and it is within reach of a united Democratic Party.

All you superdelegates out there... just do it!

Posted by: Ma Kettle | June 3, 2008 8:11 AM

This guy has been in the tank for Obama for months.

Posted by: tsunami | June 3, 2008 8:10 AM

To me, Clyburn is another example of an assumed senority in the House that makes earmarks a priveledge. Does not seem to be a shining example of fiscal responsiblity. Back in 2007 the South Carolina GOP attacked him for adding 3 million dollars to a Defense Bill for a Golf Center in his home state.

Posted by: Mark W. | June 3, 2008 8:08 AM

It's amazing the number of different messages that have been coming from the Clinton campaign.

Posted by: jim | June 3, 2008 8:05 AM