The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Primary Source

McCain to Praise Clinton in New Orleans Speech

Sen. John McCain will praise Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton tonight in a Louisiana speech marking the start of the general election campaign, according to excerpts provided by his campaign. It will be the second time in as many days he has praised her as a woman for making a historic and "inspiring" run for the presidency. He also will declare Democratic Sen. Barack Obama a "formidable opponent," according to the speech. Some excerpts:

I commend both Senators Obama and Clinton for the long, hard race they have run....

Senator Clinton has earned great respect for her tenacity and courage. The media often overlooked how compassionately she spoke to the concerns and dreams of millions of Americans, and she deserves a lot more appreciation than she sometimes received. As the father of three daughters, I owe her a debt for inspiring millions of women to believe there is no opportunity in this great country beyond their reach. I am proud to call her my friend.

Pundits and party elders have declared that Senator Obama will be my opponent. He will be a formidable one. But I'm ready for the challenge, and determined to run this race in a way that does credit to our campaign and to the proud, decent and patriotic people I ask to lead.

The decision facing Americans in this election couldn't be more important to the future security and prosperity of American families. This is, indeed, a change election. No matter who wins this election, the direction of this country is going to change dramatically. But, the choice is between the right change and the wrong change; between going forward and going backward.

Posted at 8:30 PM ET on Jun 3, 2008  | Category:  Primary Source
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: High Voter Participation in Big Sky Country | Next: Obama Nears Nomination Threshold

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

MY Fellow Americans.
I believed that you. the vast majority of American who like HRC are idiots,why?,because even she have said it time,and time again, that its only fools,and those Blue Collar uneducated old people(ie White People)who have vote, and had voted for her.
Well my friends this note is for all of you people who don't have a High School Education,or GED,let me give you one very important piece of information that your HRC did not give any of you fools..stay away from making any life important decisions,and go and get an High School Education before going out claiming that you have the rights to go out there to vote,and ruin other people lives with your uneducated ranting of decision making ideas. We the educated one(s) that have completed our education(s)definately don't need anymore of you uneducated idiots running,and making anymore affecting our lives in this great country that we loves so much again.What good is it of a bunch of people who cannot spell, or write their name properly waking us up at 3:00am answering the phone,and making any life, are death policy decisions that will be affecting my well being,or other people well-being, have the power of running this great nation,first of all I am not stupid to want her(HRC)or,anyone else without an high school education, or both thinking are believing that by past experience without the proper education making these life,are death policy decisions concerning my life,one final point I also believed that the Clintons did not finished their HIGH school Education, or have a proper GED education,what I believe is that they bought their Certificates,or Dipolma from the crack-man at 125st,and Lenox Ave. Thank you very much.I would prefer to have an elitist running this country,than to have some crying fool waking me up at 3:00am in the morning telling me what to do.I may not have a PHD education in intelligence, but I am sure as hell far from being stupid,and wanting to put someone like that in power to govern over my life because that person is either a RACIST name CLINTON,or the UNEDUCATED Low-Life in charge of any decision making policies affecting my life or,my children.And maybe yes, John MCCain had endured many torturous moments in his Vietnamese war days.My point is why should we want this guy John McCain to become president in 2009 inwhich would have our young men,and women staying in a country dying in a clivil war for 100 year plus for lies.Can you please let me know in what direction did all of the intelligent people went so that I may follow ,and be with them.Oh please forgive me for asking you all such a educational question.I am deeply sorry for that,but I had forgotten, that I was asking,and talking to a bunch of uneducated fools.
So why don't you go ahead,and cast your votes for BUSH'S Buddy John McCain,plus you can also have HRC has your John McCain VP running mate,and live happily ever after in your GOP camp of fools. NJ

Posted by: NJ. | June 6, 2008 1:20 AM

I believe its time for a real change,and Obama is the change.For McCain it will be a countiunation of Bush polices,if the American people really wants a change they must vote for Obama.
Bush as run the country down in all areas,and McCain was part of that too.They have the same policies,another thing again is that McCain is very old.I will advirse him to go and relax and live politics for young people with life and enagry,McCain may die soon his 71 years of age.

Posted by: kolade from South Africa | June 4, 2008 9:53 AM

All I can say about McCain's speech is..."Bottled hot water for dehydrated babies"... WTF?!!

Posted by: Patrick J. Kiger | June 4, 2008 9:49 AM

McCain looked really old and his speech was truly uninspiring. The green backdrop was hard on the eyes and the fact that he plays on Obama's "Change We Can Believe In" to read "Leadership We Can Believe In" seems to me like Barack is leading while McCain is nipping at his heals.

Posted by: Smoggy | June 4, 2008 12:19 AM

Posted by: Smoggy | June 4, 2008 12:14 AM

Did you ... zzzzzzzzz ... watch the McCain ... zzzzzz ... speech? Wow, is that dude .... zzzzzzzz .... exciting.

It is quite appropriate that he gave his homily in N'Awlins. For we would surely "roux" the day we were ever foolish enough to vote for Bush III.

Posted by: laboo | June 3, 2008 9:46 PM

McCain should pick Hillary as his running mate, they are a match.

President Barack Obama. It's a new day, get used to it. There is hope now that the healing can begin from what Bush and the rest of the criminals in his adminstration have done to this country and to set America on a noble path again.

Posted by: Cosmo | June 3, 2008 9:40 PM

Is it possible to imagine a worse
candidate than Obama? It will be
Nixon versus McGovern all over again. Is there anyone that believes that Obama wasn't set
up by the right? They were
afraid that anyone mainstream
would win in a landslide- Kuccinich came closer than a lot
of people realize.

Posted by: steve@rudeneighbor.com | June 3, 2008 9:37 PM

McCain will be his own undoing. When people compare the tone and demeanor of Obama speaking calmly and in detail on many topics with the bluster, rage and disgust McCain shows at every corner, they will be rightly turned off by him.

Nobody likes a jerk, and he acts like one all the time. On some issues it can play well, but NOT on his main issue... Iraq, where he argues a position not favored by a vast majority of Americans.

He will lose 40 states.

Posted by: steve boyington | June 3, 2008 9:29 PM

Amen, saint!

Posted by: Randy | June 3, 2008 9:28 PM

Old McPander, on his game again. Meanwhile he is seriously considering for his running mate Bobby Jindal - the Louisiana governor who favors prohibition of abortion even in the case of incest, rape and mother's life in danger. He'll happily put women back into the dark ages, but hey, he'd like their votes!

Posted by: Mark | June 3, 2008 9:26 PM

McCain has a proven record of stepping across the aisle to get the job done. Obama has stepped across the aisle once. He voted for Bush's energy bill that gave more tax breaks to the oil companies.
I think that a McCain Clinton ticket would be a balanced ticket and most definitely squash the Obama/??? ticket. It's time for change, but in the right direction.

Posted by: Randy | June 3, 2008 9:18 PM

Senator McCain can talk Nicely about Senator Obasama, Senator Clinton, and the Baggage On Senator Clinton called "Bill"(Who was the "Real" Candidate anyway), all he wants.

It does not Change the FACT, that a Senate Takeover of the Executive Branch by Beltway Insiders is not going to amount to ANY Positive "Change", other than a "Unification of Powers", when a Separation there-of, was what was designed and called for!

Having a Congress with abysmally LOW Approval, TAKE OVER in an UNCHECKED Power Grab,

Does NOT, a "Happy Camper" of Me MAKE! :-(

Am I the ONLY ONE, thinking:

Revolution?

Posted by: SAINT---The | June 3, 2008 9:16 PM

I don't think McCain is saying anymore than the truth. I think HRC is a number of things that, if I wrote them, would get this post pulled. But she's undeniably a tough son-of-a-gun and there is no question that she's broken the political glass ceiling. Whatever you might think of her, nobody's laughing at the idea of her running for president.

She would have been a lousy president but, by God, she's been a hell of a candidate. Let that be her political epitaph.

Posted by: Mike R. | June 3, 2008 9:15 PM

John McCain is a true American that has risked his political career to better our nation. Obama has done squat except associate himself with some loons to get votes.

Posted by: John | June 3, 2008 9:14 PM

Looks like McCain's first appeal to the Hillary voters. His best strategy may be simply to downplay his stands on policy and run as "I'm not Obama", much as Obama ran as "I'm not Hillary".

Posted by: gbooksdc | June 3, 2008 9:05 PM

MR McCain loves every body and he will be the best President of our country U.S.A

Posted by: Anonymous | June 3, 2008 9:04 PM

What about the true majority of the voters in states who followed the DNC rules

Posted by: pundits and party leaders | June 3, 2008 8:59 PM

Well, it's interesting to see McCain dipping into the Bush playbook with the canned audience. Every time he gives an example of the "Obama Platform" (which he is distorting immensely), there's a delay before the booing starts.

What a joke.

Posted by: JamesCH | June 3, 2008 8:59 PM

Well, you can't blame him for seeing an opening and moving into it. His job is to get votes, and these damn fools of disaffected Democrats are saying they'd rather have him than Obama, so of course he's going to try and run with that. If Hillary has any decency at all, she will thank him politely AND tell her fan club that he is singing under the wrong window; that if they know what's good for them they should all please get over their pique and get behind Obama.

I'm not taking any bets.

Posted by: herzliebster | June 3, 2008 8:58 PM

McCain shows poor judgment in trying to upstage Barack as he is about to clinch the Democratic nomination. McCain and Clinton praise each other more than either do about Barack. McCain should choose Clinton to be his vice-presidential nominee. He could promise to serve most of one term, then resign so she could be president.

Posted by: Independent | June 3, 2008 8:55 PM

I'm sure that McCain would follow up on his compliments of Hillary by consulting her whenever he's faced with a court vacancy or a regulatory commission opening. I believe this, because why else would all those "Democratic" women be vowing to vote for him?

Ahhhh, but maybe it's just his cute dimples, or maybe he reminds them of the father they never had.

Posted by: Andy | June 3, 2008 8:49 PM

Gee, that's funny. John Stewart already suggested McAnus take Hillary as HIS vice president he said no thanks. What a phony - bastard!

Posted by: majorteddy | June 3, 2008 8:38 PM