The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Republican Party

Laura Bush Praises Clinton, Defends Michelle Obama

By Dan Eggen
LJUBLJANA, Slovenia -- First Lady Laura Bush made an unusual foray into the U.S. presidential campaign here today, praising Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) for her "grit and strength" and coming to the defense of Michelle Obama, the wife of the presumptive Democratic nominee.

Bush, who joined her husband in Slovenia today after an unannounced weekend trip to Afghanistan, was asked about the candidacy of Clinton, who conceded the Democratic nomination on Saturday to Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.).

Bush told ABC News that she would prefer the first female president "to be a Republican woman." But, she added, "I will say I watched the campaign and admired Hillary's grit and strength.

"I know what it's like to run those campaigns, and so I'll have to say I have a lot of admiration for her endurance," Bush said.

The first lady also suggested that Obama's wife, Michelle, probably did not intend to say, as she did in February, that she was proud of America for "the first time" because of her husband's candidacy.

"I think she probably meant I'm more proud, you know, is what she really meant," Bush said. "You have to be really careful in what you say, because everything you say is looked at and, in many cases, misconstrued."

Michelle Obama later clarified the remark, saying she was always proud of America.

Bush's remarks were unusual for a White House that has often ducked questions about the presidential campaign, although President Bush regularly says that he supports the presumptive Republican nominee, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

Bush and the first lady are beginning a weeklong farewell tour of Europe here in tiny Slovenia, which is hosting the annual U.S.-European Union summit. They will continue on to Berlin, Rome, Paris and London.

The trip is not expected to engender the massive protests of previous Bush journeys to Europe. The competitive U.S. presidential race has captured attention here, where popular opposition to Bush is widespread.

Posted at 1:11 PM ET on Jun 9, 2008  | Category:  Republican Party
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: The Content of Their Characters | Next: Obama Praises Clinton as Party Rallies Around Him

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

By the way..here is the video link.

Posted by: gskrptr | June 10, 2008 4:50 PM

To BasicInstinct:

The actual quote was "This is the first time in my adult life I've been proud my country."

Now I don't know about you but that doesn't sound very good to me.

Posted by: gskrptr | June 10, 2008 4:46 PM

The Obamas are not ready for prime time.
However, the fact that they have a foot in the door of the white house means that at least it will stay out of their mouths for awhile.

Posted by: anon | June 10, 2008 3:08 PM

Laura Bush was honest in what she said about Michelle (unlike Cindy McCain who was snarky). I doubt Laura wastes her time listening to any Fox News 'commentators'.

Posted by: Tom J | June 10, 2008 1:27 AM

I could take plenty of punches to, if I lied and cheated the american people looking for a legacy to leave. He has less than a year before he is sitting back somewhare (Cheney to) counting up all the money I made off the war. He probably be in Saudi Arabia next year around this time jaw jacking and laughing it up with the Royal family.

Posted by: mreastside | June 9, 2008 9:58 PM

Is it me or what? Do John McCaian know how to say or talk about anything other than Iraq. Do he know how to get us out of Iraq because, he was once a P.O.W. i THINK BACK ON WHAT BUSH said about him back in 2000. How did he get caught. lol All joke aside, from what I see he is running on a war platform that really shouldnt have anyplace in this election. Nobody is going to be able to straighten out the economy as long as we are spending trillions in Iraq. It dont take a genius. We throwing money into a empty pit as long as we are in Iraq. So what do we need to do to fix the economy. It is simple math, not fuzzy.

Posted by: mreastside | June 9, 2008 9:53 PM

Yuri - Mrs. Bush should certainly go back to the kitchen, as you suggest, and iron your shirt right on your back before you lose it making such thoughtless comments.

The Obamas are not ready for prime time, but if they do continue to climb the political ladder, they would do well to take the punches as gracefully as the Bush family has done.

Posted by: Carol.J. McVey (get over it) | June 9, 2008 9:50 PM

Dear McCain Woman:

You can go ahead and spitefully vote for John McCain. Your choice, your vote.

But please don't talk about McCain returning our prosperity.

President McCain will eventually be forced to reinstate the draft because we will be at war with the entire Middle East. How much will gas and groceries cost then? Is there a limit to how much will be spent on the war? Taxes and discussions similar pale in comparison to our continued presence in a war that was fought under false premises.

Do some more research, ok?

Posted by: Susan | June 9, 2008 9:42 PM

I would rather seen Obama lose without Hilary than him win and always have Bill clinton looking over his shoulder. Jimmy Carter was right, you put The Clintons on the ticket it energizes the replublican base. The same people(trailer park crowd)Bush depended on selling the war. Those the people who are going to come out in packs to defeat them. He has to show a sign of strength immediately. Then on to Mrs. Bush, I wish she would shut up and goe count the money her and ole Georgey made off going into Iraq. The administration and Haliburton is way to cozy. We all ready know thats whare Chaney is going back too. They gave him a $40milliom dollar going away gift. Come on, now they hold a unbidded contract to basically provide all the services(civilion)from everything to feeding people to getting the oil out the ground. it looks like to me that the only people profiting off the war is Haliburton. All the educatioin and healthcare money they are putting in the cofiers. Come on, how is McCain going ton distance hisself from the RNC people. He is to attached for anything to change

Posted by: anthonyj | June 9, 2008 9:37 PM

I never understood what the big fuss was about with Michelle Obama's assertion. She said, and I quote, "This is the first time that I've been really proud of my country". The media took that quote and twisted it in every which way possible; without identifying the operative word (which was "Really"). She never said that she was NEVER proud of her country...just not "REALLY" proud. Like Michelle - This is the first time that I've been "really" proud of my country also! America has come a far way...even in my 29 years of life.

Posted by: BasicInstinct | June 9, 2008 9:13 PM

McCainWomanDemocrat - WOW! You contribution was so eloquent, educated, and generall right on!...until you described your support for John McCain and the reasons for it...all that good stuff went right out the window.

Posted by: Hess | June 9, 2008 9:13 PM

Has anyone in the media made an assessment of the role of affirmative action in the education, political ascent, or current employment status of either of the Obama's?

Just curious.

Posted by: Geraldine | June 9, 2008 9:11 PM

We dems. need the support of Hillary's voters, we can't live another year of of G.B senator Mcclain is not reatty to take this batter on, wwe need youth and older and wisers to bring our country out of this mess, lets come together to save our country, J.M. is already forgetting things. it is time now to let all of our hatred go. our kids need us to do this.

Posted by: mia | June 9, 2008 9:06 PM

In reading the blogs I think the McCaim women democrats need to define themselves better. I am not "uneducated" as I have a Masters Degree. I am "white" but Hispanic. I do work very hard. I believe in equal opportunity and I believe a woman should make her own choices although I am personally opposed to abortion. I am not a "whiner". I am angry at the Democrats and the media for their constant sexism in campaign coverage and comments - particularly about how uneducated and white I am as well as Rev Flegler's horrific parody of a white woman (who could not be offended by that?)

However, I am voting for John McCain as I believe he is the best leader to get our country out of a prolonged war and a failing economy. I protested the Iraq War before it started and throughout - but now I just want it to end successfully with minimal loss of life. While I loudly protested the surge, it has worked and now there is a light at the end of the tunnel. John McCain showed conviction and courage in supporting the surge - and I respect that. I also believe in liberal causes like health care, but first we have to be able to afford it. McCain is focusing on cutting government spending while Obama is kaching kaching kaching with no real way to pay for all he is promising.

I have watched both sides and listened to their plans - and McCain just makes sense while Obama just doesn't add up. McCain can get us all back to prosperity and not push us further into debt and poverty. Than is why I support McCain.

Posted by: McCain Woman Democrat | June 9, 2008 8:37 PM

I'll see if I can post the link of the "photo-op" that shows Obma holding the telephone upside down.

It's just the beginning of another ding-dong for President!

Posted by: Christina | June 9, 2008 8:22 PM

To Mimi -

I'm here - loud and clear. And if Obama loses in November, it won't be because of the Hillary supporters. It will be because the Democrats chose the wrong candidate.

Your blame game won't work. So give it up!

Posted by: Christina | June 9, 2008 8:17 PM

Two questions: How many of those 18 million who voted for Hillary were actually Republicans who were afraid of McCain's chances against Obama? Why was Hillary's campaign always short of money, if she had 18 million supporters?

Posted by: Barbara Plona | June 9, 2008 7:59 PM

To Hillary supporters who might be here,
If Hillary ever wants to become president either in 2012 or 2016, at least this time obama has to be elected.
just think .... how could Maccain come back to GOP nominee after 8 years? Because he put his whole energy to help Bush elected in 2000... otherwise, he would have been gone long ago...
if obama loses this time, everybody knows this is due to hillary supporters who vote for maccain, and you never dare to imagine she can ever become a DNC nominee ... and i know her, her whole life has been with DNC.... she will never come out as independent.
Just consider what is real help for her....
Love needs not only passion but also wisdom.

.............from one foreinger who loves america

Posted by: mimi | June 9, 2008 7:53 PM

So, can anyone tell me here,if that stupid
Laura Bush even knows who Michelle Obama is
or what Michelle Obama stands for now then?
..It looks like Laura Bush is nce again,
determined to prove herself to be as totally stupid as her husband George W Bush
and just as screwed up from Laura Bush and
George W Bush doing drugs in college and
still doing them now while in the White House as well. If the Democrat's Phony
Messiah Barack Hussein Obama and his hateful racist wife Michelle Obama become
President and First Lady,then those two
big time losers will be an even bigger
total embarassment to the USA then George
W and Laura Bush. No Way Obama!

Posted by: Sandy5274 | June 9, 2008 7:52 PM

Speaking of cult followers, I was watching an interview with one of the Obama compaign advisor. He stated that Obama's experience was extensive, he went on and on about his experience as a " Human being " LOL.... like that should count for something !If that was not a cult what is ?

Posted by: CVO | June 9, 2008 7:48 PM

Grace,
I am one of these 18 millions who voted for Hillary and I will continue to support Hillary ! NO matter what. the Kennedy , Pelosi, Kerry and Dean gang is not going to win . We, "uneducated " as Obama supporters call us will prove to be a game changer! we will vote MCcain or write Hillary~

Posted by: CVO | June 9, 2008 7:43 PM

Hahaha - yes, let's all defend Michelle Obama. She hates our country - but it is ok... she will make a great first lady, ey?

And let's defend their church and their pastors and mentors... I mean, who cares that the Obama's have been studying how to hate whites, Jews and our country for 20 years... They BELONG in the white house...

I guess racism towards whites and Jews is acceptable in America now. I mean - look how many people are endorsing it by supporting Obama.

After all of the progress we have made... this is going to send race realtions back to the stone age.
GOD HELP US ALL>

Posted by: OBAMAHATESWHITEAMERICA | June 9, 2008 7:14 PM

omyobama: you have got to be kidding if you think that the majority of Hillary Clinton supporters will vote for your candidate. get some rest, friend. you are living in a dreamland if you think that those of us disenfranchised by the dnc will ever think to give obama a vote. i have registed as a republican for the first time in my life. i do not trust obama and his shallow thinking and ability to keep this country safe.

Posted by: FormerDemocrat | June 9, 2008 7:12 PM

Obama is now proposing another incentive package that US citizens should get before he takes office. Where does this idiot think the money is going to come from? He does not understand the economy whatsoever.......among just about everything else that is important to this country....but get on a stage and say it is time for change, and the crowd has seen the second coming of christ. Give me a break.

Posted by: TaxTheRich | June 9, 2008 7:05 PM

Well, my computer has been broken for about a month and I check in on the first post-primary blog to find ... the primary battle STILL going on! Lol ... in a wrap up -- I'm pleased to see the grace of Laura Bush (since I never hear her, only see her, who woulda' thunk it?). For people replaying the last 4 heated months of a COMPLETED primary campaign. Please. Obama fans -- just chill. Give Mrs. Clinton's supporters the time and space to make up their own minds. Offer helpful information such as Mr. McCain's voting record of supporting George Bush 95% of the time in 2007; voting against Katrina relief; standing staunchly against abortion rights and vowing to appoint Supreme Court Justices that will overturn Roe v. Wade; flip flopping on torture, warrantless searches and other civil liberty issues. I am confident that Hillary Clinton's supporters are every bit as smart, as patriotic and as progressive as their candidate. That as the wounds heal they will look at the real choice. I am confident of that because in February as I got angry and thought about bolting to McCain, it took only about 1 hour on his website and Google to look at his real positions and realize that the 2000 "Maverick" has long sense coopted the right wing views of W and those evangelical supporters he so desperately needs. So, remember fellow Dems, to follow the prescription to "first do no harm." Stop fanning flames and realize anybody on here doing so is most likely some Republican operative!

Posted by: omyobama | June 9, 2008 7:03 PM

Cp cook, thats a pretty weak argument to say "experience" is the reason you are voting for McCain because Hillary is no longer running. George Bush had experience, he had four years of experience of being president before the scared and blind voted him in for a second term.If we all needed "experience" half the U.S would be unemployed. You get experience from getting an opportunity to prove yourself, at any level.

Posted by: ItIsWhatItIs | June 9, 2008 6:57 PM

I admire Laura Bush for putting up with George Bush all of these years. Her defense of Michelle Obama is another thing. Hopefully we will have another Republican in the White House rather than an unprepared, unworthy, unethical first term senator who bought his way via Chicago politics. Unfamiliar with Chicago politics? Then you need to do some reading folks. Another Democrat crossing over for McCain.

Posted by: Alwayswatchingyou | June 9, 2008 6:56 PM

CP Cook,
In a kingdom of blinds s/he who is one-eyed is king/queen, aren't you?
McCain character integrity and associacions? Really, CP Cook , you are a joke!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 9, 2008 6:22 PM

an offshoot of this story is HILARIOUS!

the story mentions (and it's true), that laura bush went to afghanistan this weekend, and GEORGE DIDN'T.

i read on another news site, that there were serious concerns for the well being of laura bush.. especially with the taliban now in full force again in that country.

well.. i guess this explains a lot.

let's see...

1) laura bush visits dangerous countries controlled by the taliban, the group that destroyed the twin towers on 9/11.

and;

2) george bush is a little chicken sh*t that is too damn frightened to visit the countries controlled by the taliban, the group that destroyed the twin towers on 9/11.

no wonder george was a little boy cheerleader in college... he preferred dressing up like a girl.

Posted by: BOB | June 9, 2008 6:15 PM

I have always liked Laura Bush with her elegance, beauty, gentle demeanor and of course her southern accent. But I do not like George Bush a bit. It is a good thing he only has few months left in office. I would rather have his father and brother in public view than GW.

Conversely, I like Bill Clinton and do not like Hillary for nothing. Despite all the flak he has suffered for her inordinate ambition, I still like him.

Different strokes and strange bedfellows. Well, life has always been like that, even for public officials.

Posted by: midas20874 | June 9, 2008 6:01 PM

Most of the anti-Michelle comments here ... no wait, let me first say that was a gracious and thoughtful thing for Laura Bush to say about the Democratic women. Thanks and God keep you Laura. Whatever you put up with over the past twelve years or so I hope it was worth it.

Anyway, as I was saying, I doubt whether ANY of the posters on this board understand the black experience in the USA, yet so many feel righteous enough to cast judgment on Michelle Obama's comments. You trying to understand that, and interpreting her meaning about our country is .. let me think here, of a word to describe how silly it is for you to believe you actually know what she means -- absurd comes to mind.
You could never understand her point because you never wanted to walk in her shoes. There are tens of millions of Americans whose experience most readers of this column can't even begin to understand (partly because they do not WANT to) Try going downtown and working in a mission or soup kitchen or a fast food joint in any number of places where the dominant culture is the African-American culture. Black Americans love their country as much as white Americans, but the way that love is expressed is foreign to most white Americans. If there are rabid anti-USA black citizens around, there are many more rabid anti-USA whites masquerading as "freedom fighters," "tax protesters" or "militias." Do militias define white America?
So back off and give a sister a bit of a break... We'll come back and have this discussion in September or October, when Michelle has learned a bit about how the media treats people in the race (pun intended).

Posted by: Porzitsku | June 9, 2008 5:56 PM

Maybe Laura Bush will Run for President in 8 years... She couldn't be worse than W.

Posted by: Laura for Pres.(She's Experienced, like Hill) | June 9, 2008 5:55 PM

Well done Laura Bush!! At a time of a useless war in Iraq, Oil at $130 a barrel and the economy in trouble it is really important that the political leadership show civility and kindness to each other so that the electorate can focus on the issues. Barack Obama has done it, John McCain has done it and now Laura Bush is doing it. Finally some decent political leadership in America. Long may it continue. Bradley

Posted by: Bradley | June 9, 2008 5:49 PM

Look, I'm just as angry about Bush as anybody else, and Mrs. Bush hasn't always been a gem (e.g., comments on Burma--er, sorry, Myanmar).

But lay off! She did the decent thing, and she didn't have to.

I sed my piece,
David

Posted by: David Expat | June 9, 2008 5:47 PM

To ItIsWhatItIs.... Yes, Hillary lost, and contrary to some beliefs, Hillary's supporters are not blind followers. I am one of those who think that John McCain is now the best candidate for the presidency since Clinton is no longer in the ballot. At the end of it all, the election for me is about experience and character. In the current environment, I would not want a newbie to be handling the government and setting the policies. I want a steady hand. In terms of character, I want a predictable, consistent leader. You may agree or disagree with Clinton or McCain, but you know where they will go or what they will do. Obama has too many unknowns, including doubts about his judgment and character e.g. Rezko, Wright, funneling funds to wife and chairman, etc. Unlike the Kennedys with huge trust funds, I cannot afford to experiment. I will go with a known quantity, a steady hand, so to speak.

Posted by: CP Cook | June 9, 2008 5:46 PM

When I read the rantings of the poor losers I am sorry and depressed. If the Clintons do not like the way the Democratic Party selects its nominee, they should have changed the rules BEFORE (not after) the process started. They had eight years to do it. HRC and Bill have both pointed out that if the Party had the same rules as the Republicans they would have won the nomination. If they are so impressed by the way the Republicans dothings, they should have competed in their primaries!! (Their views on the War,the Patriot Act, gay rights, race, and flag burning would have played very well with some Republicans.) But it is utterly Clintonian to suggest that the rules should be changed after the fact ... because any prosess that doesn't lead to a Clinton victory is inherently flawed!

Posted by: Mark Stickle | June 9, 2008 5:45 PM

I respect Mrs. Bush for her comments. Unlike her husband she appears to be a reasonable, fair-minded, and just person. God Bless you Mrs. Bush for speaking the truth.

Posted by: vdkelly | June 9, 2008 5:44 PM

You people are doing precisely what the Republicans warn that you will do... REVOLT against the party because your pet candidate lost, and usher in another Bush Term!! Ridiculous!!

Where are your PRINCIPLES???

Do you want to end the war or not? Clean fuel or not? Jobs or not? Healthcare or not? Restore our Global standing or not?? Well????? Now, tell me what the real issue is in this election, and don't tell me it is Clinton. The ISSUE

~ the ONLY issue~ is the Nation's welfare.
Now take a powder and get yourselves together!

Posted by: Lynne | June 9, 2008 5:33 PM

Laura Bush married GW Bush - why would anyone think her opinion or judgement on anything mattered. She's just another glassy-eyed gop wife that has accomplished nothing during her husbands time in office. In short - who cares?

Posted by: Enough | June 9, 2008 5:31 PM

Laura Bush, go back into your kitchen and tend to your cookies.

Michelle Obama made no mistatement when she made her very unpatriotic remark. She was speaking her mind.

Start doing some research people. Michelle Obama has been photgraphed with Mrs.Farrakan, as well as sitting in a church for 20 years that promotes Black Liberation Theology. She has used racist language in her speeches and continues to do so.
Michelle Obama is a classless, racist embarrassment.

IF the Republicans actually do have the "Whitey" Throw Mama from the train, tape in their possession, which shows Michelle railing against white people, she will have to no excuses for her mouth.
Oh, I forgot, Barack has already told the US media, to "lay off his wife". Sounds so familiar of the Rove/Bush tactics, doesn't it?

Posted by: CR | June 9, 2008 5:06 PM

aredee wrote:
"Of course she did, as she stated earlier in the campaign, anything can happen"

Knowing how this could be interpreted in the light of her inappropriate reference to Robert Kennedy I would have expected a decent person to have avoided this by using the word concede instead of suspend. That kind of wording reveals the real nature of the person speaking."
_________________________

Just a FYI here. The reason why candidates "suspend" their candidacies is to maintain the ability to raise funds. HRC would like to get some of her own contributions back through contributions if she can.
______________________________

M. A. Wrote:
Poor Laura Bush. We can now add her to the list of people who have been trying to clarify what Michelle Obama REALLY meant. What she and these other people haven't figured out yet is that Michelle Obama really said what she really meant. The worst part is that she got away with it.

______________________

So, Michelle Obama "got away" with her remark? That certainly defies logic, since we're still talking about it right now. And to the same poster. How do you know what she really meant by it? Are you in her head? I'm not 100% certain what she was saying, but I'm fine with it either way. Guess I'm not a "patriot" by your ever changing definition even though I served this country.

Posted by: John S. | June 9, 2008 5:05 PM

Oh God now the village idiot wife of our
screwed up leader George W Bush is out there praising Michelle Obama you say? Okay
all that means is that know college drug
dealer Laura Bush got back into our Alcoholic and Drug Addit President and
husband George W Bush cocaine and booze
with him. And it shows how totally braindead Laura Bush is that she would be
praising Barack Hussein Obama's bitter,
black racist wife Michelle Obana as well.
Its time to vote all the losers like Obama
and Pelosi and Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell out of office in 2008. Looks like
George W Bush and Laura Bush need to go and
check into a good alcoholism and drug rehab program for sure. Laura Bush has been
a disgrace and joke as First Lady and face
it Michelle Obama will be an endless total
embarassment to the USA as well. I wonder
how fast WAPO deletes my post this time?

Posted by: Ralphinphnx | June 9, 2008 5:02 PM

To all who read this, please be aware that I have been on this planet for many years. I have learned to distrust people who extoll the virtues of what they will do, despite having previously performed little of note. I consider Barack Obama to be a person that I must distrust for this reason. How can we believe in his change when he has yet to demonstrate he can produce it? The media have failed to inform all of how little claim he can legitimately make to being a real change maker, so many people have been misled into the belief that he can actually do something he has never done. And, he is now headed to the White House! This is absolutely beyond belief, unless one understands that many who support him have mistaken him for American Idol. I do not support McSame, but I tremble for the future of a nation led by a White House intern.

Posted by: bjbprice | June 9, 2008 4:56 PM

Laura for VP! I don't care whose!

Posted by: foobar | June 9, 2008 4:40 PM

How selfish can you be to vote for McCain out of spite when this country is such a disastrous mess. Forget about the millions without healthcare...decent wages...those worried about losing their homes. No, what's important is we vote for McCain out of spite. Brilliant....it's people like that who got us into this mess with the republicans in the first place

Posted by: joe | June 9, 2008 4:38 PM

All this hostility towards women voters of Clinton is uncalled for. They are still getting over the loss. Give them some time, they will come around to Obama after they've cooled off. Try to keep in mind that, not only are they women, but they are also human.

Posted by: Give them a break | June 9, 2008 4:38 PM

Thought for the day:

If HRC's 18 million new friends would each kick in just about $1 each, as a going away present, she could essentially retire her campaign debt.

Hillarites Unite. HRC 2016.

Posted by: 20 million reasons | June 9, 2008 4:36 PM

I wonder about many of these so called HRC supporters that claim they will vote for McCain in November. I bet a good number of these peeps are just neocons that are posing to trying to cause a rift amongst the ranks. I don't doubt there are those that are that dumb, but I bet a lot of it is just BS from neocons trying to scare people. (DenisR).

Posted by: Josh | June 9, 2008 4:31 PM

I give Laura credit for having a brain and some class. So why in the world did she ever hook up with that moronic chimpanzee who answers to the call of "Dubya"?

Posted by: Tominator | June 9, 2008 4:30 PM

Those who say they are going vote for McCain instead of Obama because their "beloved" Hillary lost are just plain ridiculous. Hillary has even acknowledged that her policies are not that much different than Obama's. McCain is on the complete opposite of the spectrum. All the news media outlets are scared to say it but its obvious that any Hillary supporter that votes for McCain just doesn't want to see a black man in office. Simply put, RACIST.

Posted by: ItIsWhatItIs | June 9, 2008 4:27 PM

Mrs. Bush is a classy lady.

Also, for you ladies that want to cut off your noses just to spite your faces...

You can vote for McCain in November, but don't come crying when there is no longer any Roe v. Wade come 2012. This will all be on you. You are pretty shelfish if the only reason you would have voted for HRC is simply because she is a woman.

Posted by: JT Money $$$ | June 9, 2008 4:25 PM

I think Grace also posts under the moniker Celested9 and no one with any sense should pay attention to her (?) or respond.

No woman who supported Hillary based on her political positions could EVER vote for the anti-choice, ant-worker, pro-corporate McSame.

Posted by: theRealCalGal | June 9, 2008 4:25 PM

Mrs. Bush is a classy lady.

Posted by: JT Money $$$ | June 9, 2008 4:24 PM

For every one who talks about 18 million Clinton Democrats voting for McCain and Hillary winning in 2012, Do you think the other 18 million who didnt vote her this time will vote for her next time?

Thanks for destroying our party by having an allegiance to a single politician... idiots

Posted by: ClintonDemocratsAreStoopid | June 9, 2008 4:24 PM

I wonder how many of you who judge Michelle Obama on the basis of one remark would like to have everything they say subject to the same scrutiny? Would you look like a traitor, or a racist, or a sexist, or an idiot? I know I've said things that I could have phrased much better; thank God I didn't have people ready to pounce on me for it.

Posted by: Gimpy | June 9, 2008 4:24 PM

Clinton supporters voting with a man that voted with Bush 95% of the time?? You certainly cant be a Democrat. Are you voting on issues? Are you just bitter? Or are you voting based upon race?

Posted by: Aaron | June 9, 2008 4:20 PM

Caroline: Grace isn't "Grace" he/she is probably named Fred or Harry. Furthermore I would argue that he/she is not a republican, more an idiot. I do wish he/she knew how to operate the keyboard so as to not always write in capitals, it's very unnerving !!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 9, 2008 4:18 PM

All -- Grace is a Republican male ... hoping that this kind of nonsense helps build momentum. Sad, really.

Posted by: Caroline | June 9, 2008 4:14 PM

Obama copied Deval Patrick's tried and true speeches. When Deval gave these speeches they were excellent and many of us were moved in the state of Massachusetts their first time around, but what a bunch of malarkey they turned out to be.

Fell for it the first time, but won't fall for them again.....

Yes, Axelrod was Patrick's man-in-charge too.

No - it's no echo.....

Posted by: Lisa M | June 9, 2008 4:13 PM

Fell for it the first time, but won't fall for them again.....

Yes, Axelrod was Patrick's man-in-charge too.

No - it's no echo.....

Posted by: Lisa M | June 9, 2008 4:13 PM

HILLARY CLINTON WILL CAMPAIGN AGAIN IN 36 MONTHS. WE ARE 18 MILLION CLINTON SUPPORTERS WHO WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN IN NOVEMBER AND VOTE FOR HILLARY CLINTON IN 2012.

OBAMA WILL GO BACK TO THE SENATE. HE WAS ALWAYS A MEDIOCRE SENATOR. OBAMA WILL HAVE A FAILED GENERAL ELECTION AGAINST MCCAIN.

CLINTON WILL BE LEADING SENATOR AFTER TED KENNEDY LEAVES. AND WE WILL PUT HER IN THE WHITE HOUSE THE NEXT TIME. CLINTON LOST THE GOVERNORSHIP IN ARKANSAS THE FIRST TIME. THIS WAS JUST A PRACTICE RUN. NEXT TIME SHE WILL BE IN THE WHITE HOUSE AT AGE 64.

Posted by: GRACE | June 9, 2008 3:32 PM

GOOD IDEA!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 9, 2008 4:10 PM

"Of course she did, as she stated earlier in the campaign, anything can happen"

Posted by: aredee | June 9, 2008 4:03 PM

Grace,

I am one of the 18 million who voted for HC and I sure will not be voting for McCain. Please do not speak for me! Your writing is offensive in that it sounds like Republican tacticts of division. Obama has given me hope that we can unite and while I think Senator Clinton would have made an excellent president I believe so will Senator Obama.

Posted by: spiegs32 | June 9, 2008 4:02 PM

I thought it was ridiculous when Cindy McCain made that snide remark about Michelle Obama's patriotism. This from a woman who grew up with a silver spoon in her mouth and is now worth over $100 million. Who wouldn't love America if they grew up under the same circumstances. Michelle grew up on the southside of Chicago. Her father worked at the water plant and her mom was a secretary. She went on to Princeton and Harvard. She has done a lot more with a lot less. Only in American could she have done this. I say she is proud of her country because she's living the American dream.

Posted by: Carter | June 9, 2008 4:01 PM

Posted by: M. A. | June 9, 2008 3:59 PM

"she didn't really concede to Obama but left the door wide open for herself."

Of course she did, as she stated earlier in the campaign, anything can happen.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 9, 2008 3:59 PM

Grace, first of all it's not 18 million voters like you, you are in a small minority of some very upset and selfish women who are more in love with the idea of Hillary right or wrong than the welfare of our country.

If you truly respect Hillary then follow her lead.

I wish I would have seen the Hillary that I saw in her concession speech. Dignified and very presidential.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 9, 2008 3:56 PM

Why is it more important for Grace and others to have Hillary nominated than someone who supports her views on abortion, health insurance etc. McCain is against every issue Hillary is for -- why vote for him? Remind me, whose followers are in a cult of personaliy?

Posted by: George DC | June 9, 2008 3:54 PM

"Hillary is a class act, etc, etc" Before you make these statements PLEASE reflect upon at least two things
1) She has the best of the speech writers available as was demonstrated on Saturday. You don't really think the speech came from her do you. Listen to it again carefully and you will see that she didn't really concede to Obama but left the door wide open for herself.
2) Go back through her comments during the Obama/Clinton election. Whilst you must admit that Obama tried his hardest to remain dignified where Hillary was concerned, she attacked him and denigrated him continually. I think one of the pinnacle moments was when she suggested that she and McCain were the really qualified candidates whereas Obama was an inexperienced amateur. Given her continual negative rhetoric with respect to Obama he should be EXTREMELY careful when trying to integrate her into his government.

Posted by: aredee | June 9, 2008 3:52 PM

It is interesting that "Traditional American Values" are brought up. The reason I voted for Obama is because after hearing his New Hampshire speech I realized that I (as many others I suspect) had forgotten what it was to be an American, somewhere we had lost our way. Obama makes me want to be a better person, to not succumb to the powers that denigrate life and that we do stand a chance to make a difference and make this a better country, a better world.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 9, 2008 3:51 PM

Anybody but a female President. All you chicken heads are are upset that Hilaary lost, when u should be mad at Hillary for picking stupid people to run her campaign.

You honestly think the GOP will ever honor womens rights? Hell to the NO.

When McDaddy becomes President, look out Roe V. Wade and all the other nonsense they will throw at us.

Ok I apologize for the sexist remarks, but Grace pissed me off with her McCain endorsement, because Hillary lost.

I'm a Democrat, no matter who the nominee is, and I think you should calm the hell down and think about it. Stop using race as a mean to divide this country. Grow the Fcuk up.

Posted by: Antoine | June 9, 2008 3:50 PM

The likes of Sean Hannity et al are not journalists, they are entertainment for the ill of mind. I pay them no more attention than a WWF announcer.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 9, 2008 3:47 PM

Grace: Hillary Clinton showed over the weekend what a real class act she is. Don't let your annoyance at that the voters have done to HC's candidacy ruin the Dems' chance to start cleaning up the mess that 2 GOP administrations have made of the world. C'mon: do the right thing.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 9, 2008 3:45 PM

"GRACE writes: ... WE ARE 18 MILLION CLINTON SUPPORTERS WHO WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN IN NOVEMBER AND VOTE FOR HILLARY CLINTON IN 2012."

Grace: Don't vote for McCain. He's bring only 4 more years of the same that GWB has given us for the last 7+ years. Help the Dems take back the WH, and Omaba can get it ready for Hillary Clinton's presidency.

Posted by: Mark In Irvine | June 9, 2008 3:43 PM

Jay & Values,

I don't mean this personally, but you are engaging in exactly the kind of political posturing that annoys me. If Michelle Obama thinks traditional American values are bad, she should say so. If Barack Obama disagrees with her about this, he should say so. Then the voters can weigh all this -- and everything else -- and make their decision.

But when politicians, on realizing that they have admitted to something that might not go so well with their campaign-designed talking points, make up silly "clarifications," it's kind of an insult to our intelligence. It used to piss me off when Ronald Reagan did it, too.

Michelle Obama is a formidable intellect and an excellent attorney. I'm sure she is quite capable of expressing exactly what she means -- and I'm sure she did, poltically-motivated, after-the-fact "clarifications" nothwithstanding.

Posted by: Mike R. | June 9, 2008 3:41 PM

dear grace,

Go ahead and vote for McCain.

Posted by: royals1 | June 9, 2008 3:39 PM

HILLARY 2012

McCain 2008

Posted by: Hillary 2012 | June 9, 2008 3:39 PM

Laura would have been a MUCH better president that her husband. I like her quite a bit.

Posted by: sequoia | June 9, 2008 3:37 PM

Nothing wrong with women. Take L. Bush and C. Rice as quality people. We need more. It is unfortunate that Hillary did her 'thing'. I believe Obama will be a big improvement over Bush and sidekick Dick!

Posted by: DenisR | June 9, 2008 3:35 PM

Posted by: GRACE | June 9, 2008 3:32 PM

i'm just guessing that laura bush did not all on her lonesome bring up the michelle obama issue. so, what proud member of the village press corps was it who was looking to gin up some controversy...

inquiring minds would like to know.

Posted by: linda | June 9, 2008 3:27 PM

Laura Bush is a classy lady with a sound intellect. Too bad none of that seems to have rubbed off on her husband. Her comments on Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama are smart, stylish, and appropriate. How refreshing coming from a Republican. Or maybe Laura is planning a mini-rebellion this November!

Posted by: dee | June 9, 2008 3:12 PM

Yuri Lipitzmeov - What a classless piece of crap of a human being. I suppose you had no problem with Clinton getting BJ's on your dime. Do you even have a job? Do you even pay taxes? I suspect not. She has been nothing but class from day one in the style of Lady Bird.

Posted by: Robt | June 9, 2008 3:11 PM

Laura will have to give the angry, negative, self-pitying Michelle some how-not-to-embarrass-yourself-and-your-country lessons if Obama wins the election.

Posted by: pgr88 | June 9, 2008 3:10 PM

Mike R.--
The real thing to consider, however, would be :Where have "traditional American values" gotten us?
There are many(much more than you may believe) of us out there who are dissatisfied with the state this country is in. I'd have to question any one who truly believes we are ,as a country, the best we can be. Isn't it a good thing to want improvement? The love it or leave it mentality doesn't really get us to far as a nation.

Posted by: Values | June 9, 2008 3:02 PM

Jay..on that I completely agree with you. Although I would change the more general "Foreign Policy" to the updated 2000's version..dealing with Radicals & Terrorists who want us all dead, Christian, Jew, etc. and all colors in b/n (BTW, not a "new" concept either- WWII anyone?). That has to be issue #1, and needs to continue to be until either they stop or we are destroyed which means no healthcare anyways. #2...how about some alternative energy and oil drilling where it should be - on the North American continent. #3...meeting changing employment and industry needs based on globalization. That will help the economy right there.

Posted by: dmacdc | June 9, 2008 2:57 PM

I was so pleased and impressed by the President and Condoleeza Rice's acknowledgment of the American milestone of having the first African-American nominee of a major party, and now I am impressed by Laura Bush's comments about Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama as well. I also liked Secretary Rice's personal reflections after Senator Obama's speech on race in Philadlphia.

These are statements of national leadership, simply outside of the partisan dimension. I applaud them.

Posted by: Fairfax Voter | June 9, 2008 2:52 PM

uhhhhh I am married and my wife certainly is an important intellectual and moral influence in my life. However, at work my decisions are all mine. I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I believe both Barack Obama and John McCain are leaders with great, albeit certainly flawed, character. The real issues in this race are foreign policy (especially in the Middle East), bolstering our economy, tackling health care costs while increasing availability, and fixing our immigration policy. First ladies and lapel pins just do not seem terribly relevant.

Posted by: Jay | June 9, 2008 2:47 PM

Classy lady, that Laura Bush. She has elevated the discussion past 5th grade school yard antics and hijinx.

So take a hint, folks!

Posted by: tony the pitiful copywriter | June 9, 2008 2:47 PM

Just more opinion from the peanut gallery. Of course I know where I am...WaPo - home of the slanted democrat. What a tired retread sad story. Of course if they were so bad on "wrong" on everything (scum bags) they'd be off the air or ratings would be dismal would 'nt they...Oops! maybe their ratings seem to be great. Where's the Famous NPR when you need it? What a joke.

Posted by: dmacdc` | June 9, 2008 2:46 PM

A classy moment from the normally silent Stepford-wife first lady. Bravo.

Posted by: B2O2 | June 9, 2008 2:42 PM

Yes Laura is decent.

This will NOT transform scum bags: Hannity, Limbaugh, O Reilly et al

Posted by: Texas guy | June 9, 2008 2:38 PM

Nice comment JAY...as if the person you stay and bunk with for 24 hours a day and have committed your life to doe3sn't have any influence on you. Yeah right...apparently you're not married, or at least don't seem to understand it. Of course they can differ and don't actually make the decisions (as shown by Laura and George right now), but get real. Weren't they also echoed by his & her's pastor...guess that doesn't have any influence either. What are you naive??? Must be. Flash a smile and some nice words and you'll fall for anything huh?

Posted by: dmacdc | June 9, 2008 2:36 PM

I guess most of you don't actually listen intently to Hannity. I don't agree with everything he says either, but he does say he thinks her (Michelle) "clarification" is a joke and that she doesn't mean it. BTW....he literally KILLS Bush all the time, especially when he doesn't agree a decision he has made. Nevertheless, why is the focus on him anyways instead of the ridiculous remarks made by Michelle or the affirming remarks made by Laura Bush - who has never been anything but first-class?

Posted by: dmacdc | June 9, 2008 2:33 PM

@Mike R:
Please excuse me if I'm a little skeptical about your ability to spell. Would you actually decide for whom to vote based on the level of their spouses pride about the USA? Seems like a pretty silly criterion to me, not very likely to further our interests abroad or rev up our economy at home.

Posted by: Jay | June 9, 2008 2:31 PM

Sean Hannity really gets under my skin, he will ask a guest a questions but will never let them answer before interruping them and talking over them like a spoiled brat. He only lets ppl who has the same views as him talk. Last night really made me sick. I wish Fox would fire his ass. BTW I only watch Fox during commercial. I can't wait to see Combs knock his lights out the SOB.

Posted by: Robin488 | June 9, 2008 2:27 PM

Laura Bush's politness aside, the problem with Michelle Obama's statement -- that she made at least twice -- is that it fits in perfectly with other things we know about Obama. Michelle Obama said she had never before been proud of America. Her pastor, who's church she attended for 20 years, said exactly the same thing -- and no one thinks that was a slip of the tongue.

Now that Obama's the nominee, such leftist rage is completely unacceptable -- and Obama, of course, now disavows it. Please excuse me if I'm a little sceptical about his sudden conversion to traditional American values.

Posted by: Mike R. | June 9, 2008 2:24 PM

Posted by: Mike R. | June 9, 2008 2:22 PM

By the way, Yuri Lipitzmeov is not a Democrat - he's a creep. I hope the readers aren't confused.

Posted by: Diane | June 9, 2008 2:21 PM

Laura is pure class. How did she ever end up with such a crass numbskull like George?

Posted by: Guitar Hero | June 9, 2008 2:12 PM

Yuri L. - you're way out of line. What are you, 16?

Joe T, I think you hit the nail on the head, n'S.hAnnity knows very well what he's doing and is doing so for the expressed purpose of perpetuating misconceptions - just like Rush Limpbag and the crew of HalliBush, Inc. He's part of the "Great Lie", which is the hallmark of this administration.

At least Laura Bush has class.

Posted by: Jaxon | June 9, 2008 2:10 PM

Mrs. Bush's comments are a welcome relief to the partisan rhetoric and endless debate over every phase uttered by candidates.

Posted by: Mindofmyown | June 9, 2008 2:08 PM

I wish First Lady Bush would speak more often. I only imagine her smiling all of the time. I only disagreed with her on the "Republican" thing. I'm not anti-Republican, only disappointed in recent ones we've had in office. I expect a Democrat lady with fight in her, and "common sense" of actions necessary for a great population of people of this country, to be commander in chief before a Republican one. Other than that statement, I identify her with this action she chose to take.

Bravo Laura Bush.

Posted by: Obama2008 | June 9, 2008 2:03 PM

cred to Laura. she should speak to Sean Hannity, who repeats Michelle's "proud for the first time" remark ad nauseum without mentioning her clarification. Either he thinks she her clarification is a lie and doesn't have the balls to say so, or he is repeating the original remark without clarification knowing that it is misleading, which is despicable.

Posted by: JoeT | June 9, 2008 1:59 PM

Laura Bush (a.k.a. Mrs. President Pinhead) Shoud shut the f_uck up and go iron some shirts. I hate the idea that she's off globe trotting on my dime. Since when does she have any official duties? God I hate the Bushes and all the goddamn republicans.

Posted by: Yuri Lipitzmeov | June 9, 2008 1:56 PM

JUST A LITTLE LATE FOR LAURA BUSH. Get together and may YOUR god bless you all.

Posted by: justaDAD55+ | June 9, 2008 1:26 PM