Citing His Age, Italian Prime Minister Backs McCain

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi pauses during a joint news conference with President Bush, not shown, June 12, 2008 at Villa Madama in Rome, Italy. (Associated Press)

By Dan Eggen
ROME -- It's not clear this is the kind of international endorsement Sen. John McCain is looking for.

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, a charismatic figure who often hams it up with the press, waded into the U.S. presidential race on Thursday by saying he preferred McCain, 71, because then Berlusconi would no longer be the eldest leader at international meetings.

"I suppose I could express my own personal preference for one of the candidates, the Republican candidate," Berlusconi said. "And this is for a very selfish reason, and that is that I would no longer be the oldest person at the upcoming G-8 because McCain is a month older than me."

The controversial Italian leader, who recently returned to power again, even went on to rattle off his and McCain's birthdates to prove the point.

Oh, and one more thing: The man standing beside him at Villa Madama when he made the remarks was President Bush, who is in the midst of an 8-day farewell trip through Europe and the United Kingdom. Bush chuckled, but didn't address the endorsement in his own remarks.

By Web Politics Editor  |  June 12, 2008; 4:19 PM ET
Categories:  John McCain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama, McCain Respond to Guantanamo Bay Ruling
Next: From Testing to Merit Pay, McCain Advisers Lays Out His Education Thinking

Comments

yas indeed , with hillary out mccain is the credible choise. Obama will cause the downfall of amrica in iraq and afganistan-just like viatnam....
obama did not vote to defeat the 9/11 attacker,he did not vote to destroy the bases of the enemy. obama will be a very weak commander in chief and a very poor defender of america.
we go for MCCAIN...

Posted by: allan beltran | June 15, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Where are the reporters questioning McCain's health records? It seems to me that any one who puts out 1700 or more pages and only allows 3 hours to peruse it has something to hide. And why only a few reporters and no recorders or cameras. Where are the real reporters? McCain got away clean again. In my opinion the man is physically not well. And will the real reporters standup and ask why he released his health records as he did?
We the public have hearad nothing from the press. They accepted this as they did G.W. going into Iraq.
My other comment is where did McCain get his knowledge on world affairs? Did his being a Prisonar of war give him his knowledge. I have seen nothing he has done in the Senate that lets me know that he is knowledgeable about much of anything. Here in Arizona he has not done much for our state and our education system needs much revamping. I aught to know I was an educator in the system for more than thirty years. Ther is lots of cronyism. Please check McCain's Education Advisor Lisa Keegan's record on what she did for education here in Arizona-- especially a test called AIMS.

Posted by: L. Barrett | June 14, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Berlusconi is simply wrong.
He is 2 months younger than Fukuda.

Posted by: EmilScherbe | June 14, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Easy people, haven't you ever heard a politician make a goofy remark? Gee the Italians have only been around for a couple of thousand years but what do they know. I look forward to Berlusconi bringing some comic relief to government. We will bring in the clowns why shouldn't they.

Posted by: robertthegood | June 13, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

NICE REASON.
SO I'M NOT THE OLDEST GUY.?!
THAT MAN is in POWER?
DIDN'T the italians have ANYBODY ELSE to ELECT.

well, at least they still have good food and good tailoring to hold them through till the next elections.

my condolences to the citizens of Italy!

Posted by: D MATTHEWS | June 13, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Mccain cannot use a computer. I hear belosconi has a hard time with high tech gadgets. WOW. 21st century heroes

Posted by: ed | June 12, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

How wonderful that McCain is has the endorsement of the man who has made it fashionable to be an Italian skinhead again. This is the kind of endorsement he deserves.

McCain è uno sciocco per l'America corporativa, e Berlusconi è un maiale fascista!

Posted by: Neo1153 | June 12, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

No surprise here. The closest thing to a Fascist leader in Italy since Mussolini and he endorses Senator "perpetual war" McCain. A n external threat allows the powerful to hide behind "national security' while they rape the country. The Bush Crime Family has been doing to America for years.

Posted by: thebob.bob | June 12, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

And I agree. I am to dam old to fix what we have buggered up. Let you younger Americans, all, plus of course the families of your loved ones gone forever thanks to your own Hitler. May YOUR God Bless you all the people. I believe in God, but even at my age, am not sure if the power is a he or she??, or Black or White
Good luck Neighbors. From a whitey.

Posted by: Just ad55+ | June 12, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

where is mccains birth certificate?
and
whats his position on cruelty to women? i mean marry and dump them when they get crippled? how about trusting an addicted wife?

Posted by: jorgebushmacsame | June 12, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

So the only reason an intelligent person can cite for supporting McCain is a affinity for old people.

I can't say I'm surprised.

Posted by: Europe | June 12, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse