Clinton's E-Mail to Supporters

By Garance Franke-Ruta
Early this morning, Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential campaign sent out what could be one of its last fundraising e-mails, informing supporters that she would endorse Sen. Barack Obama at an event in Washington on Saturday and thank backers for sticking with her through the "long and hard-fought campaign."

"On Saturday," she said in the letter, "I will extend my congratulations to Senator Obama and my support for his candidacy. This has been a long and hard-fought campaign, but as I have always said, my differences with Senator Obama are small compared to the differences we have with Senator McCain and the Republicans.

"I have said throughout the campaign that I would strongly support Senator Obama if he were the Democratic Party's nominee, and I intend to deliver on that promise."

Clinton promised her supporters that she would continue "to stand up for our shared values and ... never back down" and described her intention on Saturday to "rally the party behind Senator Obama."

The full text of the e-mail follows:

Dear Friend,

I wanted you to be one of the first to know: on Saturday, I will hold an event in Washington D.C. to thank everyone who has supported my campaign. Over the course of the last 16 months, I have been privileged and touched to witness the incredible dedication and sacrifice of so many people working for our campaign. Every minute you put into helping us win, every dollar you gave to keep up the fight meant more to me than I can ever possibly tell you.

On Saturday, I will extend my congratulations to Senator Obama and my support for his candidacy. This has been a long and hard-fought campaign, but as I have always said, my differences with Senator Obama are small compared to the differences we have with Senator McCain and the Republicans.

When I decided to run for president, I knew exactly why I was getting into this race: to work hard every day for the millions of Americans who need a voice in the White House.

I made you -- and everyone who supported me -- a promise: to stand up for our shared values and to never back down. I'm going to keep that promise today, tomorrow, and for the rest of my life.

I will be speaking on Saturday about how together we can rally the party behind Senator Obama. The stakes are too high and the task before us too important to do otherwise.

I know as I continue my lifelong work for a stronger America and a better world, I will turn to you for the support, the strength, and the commitment that you have shown me in the past 16 months. And I will always keep faith with the issues and causes that are important to you.

In the past few days, you have shown that support once again with hundreds of thousands of messages to the campaign, and again, I am touched by your thoughtfulness and kindness.

I can never possibly express my gratitude, so let me say simply, thank you.

Sincerely,

Hillary Rodham Clinton

By Web Politics Editor  |  June 5, 2008; 9:02 AM ET
Categories:  Hillary Rodham Clinton
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Following Obama, DNC Announces New Fundraising Rules
Next: McCain Congratulates Obama in Call

Comments

GY6Zd7 Blogs rating, add your blog to be rated for free:

Posted by: Nancy Barness | June 23, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know when the book titled "How the Mainstream Media Hijacked the Election" will be out? This is the worst thing I have ever seen. The media has manipulated this mess and while they make their fortune at Americans expense. It is time we all take action and boycot all news media and their sponsors and teach them a lesson. Thier behavour should be illegal.

Posted by: IhateObama | June 10, 2008 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Sen. Clinton has decided that she feels that what would be best for the country is to throw her support behind Obama. If we trust her to make sound decisions on behalf of the country, we should trust that this is one of those sound decisions.

Remember that Sen. Clinton will almost certainly still be a viable candidate in 2012 and 2016. Just because she has withdrawn from seeking the 2008 nomination doesn't mean she can never be president.

Posted by: Jeff | June 9, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

um - could one of you Obama haters please provide me with some hard evidence of his "questionable past and questionable connections" ? Rumor does not count. What exactly scares you, folks ? I genuinely want to know.

Posted by: olenska | June 8, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I can understand the frustration and anger of your candidate out of the running for the top job. I was a Gore and a Kucinch supporter and both times it was very painful. After Kucinich had to bow out because of attacks on his seat at home, I could not decide between a strong woman, Hillary who never said I am sorry for her voting with the Usurper and his gangsters, and a 1/2 African 1/2 European man who is an expert on the U.S. Constitution and can take back our balance between the 3 branches. I split my delegates equally between them, but I still want Kucinich for president. I think the party and the candidates and the media treated him with profound undemocratic disrespect and rudeness. When you sob about our female role model and great feminist hope being pushed out, then remember also how she plotted with John to get rid of Kucinich, a legal candidate, from the televised debates. I remember how Kopel of ABC treated Kucinich, Sharpton and Mosley-Braun in 2004, saying they shouldn't be running, but Kucinich gave a great speech telling him off. The media didn't even report the votes he got on the news in an effort to make people think he quit when he was on the ballot in all 50 states. So stop being such a sore loser. The lady knows the score, and so should all of us. We can not allow another face to the NeoCon fascist dictators to run this country and further destroy our democracy and our Constitution and Bill of Rights. We must stand together and fight for our freedom of speech and our freedom to be heard -- I have been in a freedom of speech pen surrounded by armed police. So cry for a while and then transform that anger and frustration into action against McCain. Kucinich wanted to eliminate the insurance companies and have universal health coverage like England, France, Canada, and some Scandanavian country. Both Hillary and Barack are too afraid to go all the way, but prefer to subsidize the insurance companies with their plan. But its progress and much more than McCain. Both Hillary and Barack want out of Iraq, but McCain and the war profiteers don't. So let's get busy. If you really follow Hillary, then follow her support of the team.

Posted by: Leslie Roberts | June 7, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I just want to know where did Obama get all that Money?
I think the Republicans put the money up so THE DEMOCRATS WOULD HAVE TO RUN OBAMA: THAT WAY THEY CAN PUT THEIR CANDIDATE IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

Posted by: johnny Barker | June 7, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

We can be proud of all of our Democratic candidates for the presidency. The Democratic party is not divided-- We had two good final candidates, no ---two wonderful final candidates and it was a difficult choice to make between the two. All together we made that decision as one does in a democracy. While I voted for Hiliary to I could say that I voted for a woman for President, I do not hesitate to vote for Obama for President. We will be making history and we will have a better world and country to live in. Vote in November and work hard in the meantime.

Posted by: Meredith | June 7, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

www.writehillaryin.com

www.myspace.com/writehillaryin.com

Posted by: MeganUKUSA | June 7, 2008 4:25 AM | Report abuse

When are you people going to realize that Obama brings nothing but psychology and hype, but weakness in any other respect. You can get Americans pumped up so much, but with oil prices, economy, so forth, what can he do in actuality. What real strength or power does he have domesticallly or even with foreign policy. He is bent on pleasing the foreign powers of the rest of the world so that we are not interpreted as being offensive. Do you honestly think winning brownie points with Europe, China, and Russia will help fundamentally improve our nation.

Has any one of the Obama supporters even once thought about what an immediate pullout of Iraq will do to oil prices seeing how the commodities market which affects gas prices is extremely sensitive to instability, Saudi Arabia, hello !!!

Posted by: Josh | June 6, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Hillary '12

Before you let Obama's desperate bloggers talk you into voting a knee-jerk Democrat ticket, stop and think. Do you really want someone whose only remarkable achievement seems to be his tolerance for racism in the White House?

Vote for McCain. The Democratic House and Senate won't allow him to run amok the way the Republicans allowed GW to do.

Then, in '12, we'll have a chance to do something really positive for America by finally seeing a qualified and able president in the White House.

Obama can't win this race. We might as well get used to that now, get used to the idea of McCain and start planning for 2012 now.

Posted by: Lynn | June 6, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

It is understandable that Hillary Clinton has had a hard time conceding. (The pressure starting weeks ago for her to quit was unseemly. The process wasn't over. The decision on what about Florida's and Michigan's delegates had not been made. [While the way the issues involved in those elections were addressed by may seen as fair by most, it was debatable. {Many of us think, it is clear there is still work to be done to reform the Democratic Party's nominating process.}] Hillary's campaign came very close to winning, The longer her campaign continues, the more money her people can collect to pay off debts. After 54 contests, could Hillary be expected to shift her emotional gears easily?)
It is even more understandable that those who struggle for gender equality, have had a hard time accepting the end of Hillary's campaign. Many, some of whom were born before women had the vote, fear they will not live to see a woman as president.
As Obama has advised, "Let's let the dust settle".
I think Democrats should have patience with each other.
Obama's supporters should realize: We are more likely to have the support of Hillary's partisans if we let them vent.
Hillary supporters should realize: Obama's choice of running mate should not be rushed.
I think if Democrats have a little patience with each other over the next week or so we can come together more easily to win in November.

Posted by: ESW | June 5, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't want any Clinton as VP. Those Clinton's are dangerous. Without reason she brought up the assination of R. Kennedy as a code to the crazies out there. I wouldn't be surprised if she were VP she may try to get some Nut to hurt Obama so she could gain the presidency. Remember the scandals during Bill Clinton's administration, remember the so-called suicide. Remember!!

Posted by: Judy | June 5, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mavis, Chuckamok, and you other soreheads:

By writing in Hillary's name and not voting for Obama, you will be giving us eight more years of Bush/McCain. You be authorizing the death of thousands more servicemen and women and civilians in Iraq. You will be insuring that the Supreme Court will be controlled by the Scalia/Thomas right-wingers for the next 25 years. You'll be putting a nail in the coffin for universal health insurance.

Are you sure that's what you want?

Posted by: StevefromSacto | June 5, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Hillary '08:

You are absolutely right. I look forward to joining the ranks with you, voting based on our current issues. We are generally on the same team. It's not about these individuals, but our country. I say lets do it! We are not weak this year, and we could use all of the extra energy put forth to take back that White House. It will be a lot easier to get things done with a Democrat this year. It is important. It is going to be alright. All that has happened, is that we've been reduced from two teams, to one. We are still in good shape, and we are still fighting on the same issues. Either we're for different results, or the similar results of McCain. ALL of those against McCain's ideals, let us unite and take back that White House for the good of this country. The same Dems are still fighting for our causes, and that strength is going nowhere. For that, I am thankful. We have too much at stake here.

United --> White House '08

Lets do it and celebrate together.

Posted by: Obama2008 | June 5, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Think *Wizard of OZ*...
DING DONG...

Posted by: Dion | June 5, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I support Senator Clinton in everything But supporting Sen. Obama. If we had wanted to do it, we would have done it by now. The pressure to do so was immense and we didn't succumb.

Posted by: Lynn E | June 5, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

It 's not over until the fat lady sings

Posted by: nclwtk | June 5, 2008 1:29 PM
----

The fat-heading lady is doing her warm ups now.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

"On election day I will write in HILLERY
CLINTON!"

Better write in "Hillary".

Get that McCain vote correct!

Posted by: Chuckamok | June 5, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

In 2000 election Bush had the Supreme court.
In 2008 Obama hd the super delegates who had 2 votes each.
On election day I will write in HILLERY
CLINTON!

Posted by: mavis | June 5, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

It 's not over until the fat lady sings

Posted by: nclwtk | June 5, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Clinton and Obama are very close on the issues and as such I question the no-vote for Obama. There are big issues differences with McCann and there in should be the vote decision.For those that use the quilt by association its a weak if not un-fair judgement. No-one can control another person's words or deeds. Also, because you hear something does not translate to belief.Obama is a good and decent man. Read his books-

Posted by: tj | June 5, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

The people who are stating that Senator Barack Obama has a questionnable pass are only deceiving themselves. Stand back, take a breadth, and repeat after me: "Yes, Hillary and Bill had so many scandals in the White House. It became a soap opera everyday to see what was to develop. And most definitely, "YES", Bill embarassed this country like no other American President by holding sexual relations in the White House! Obama's questions can't even compare to these scandals. If you want to see 4,000+ more troops killed and thousands more maimed, then vote for John McCain. Their blood will be on your conscioius, you phony cowards!

Posted by: starr-1950 | June 5, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but I think America is not ready for a women president.
Also, I see the possibility that a real change could start very soon, but it´s absolutely necessary to change old senators and to change toçhe possibility of absolutly reelection on the Seante and House of Representants.

Posted by: Alex | June 5, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Someone please tell this user (Posted by: No One | June 5, 2008 10:47 AM) to get back on his or her meds immediately! (You'll have to read it yourself, it doesn't deserve re-posting). These type of hysterical, illogical rantings don't help or prove anything. Let us all look forward to a spirited, and important campaign and discussion of the issues that are vital to America's future and standing in the world.
The two candidates, for better or worse, are John McCain vs. Barack Obama for the president of the Unites of America. Let us be adults and make our choice(s) based upon the candidates views of the direction of this country moving forward and not on some X-files-type of innuendo and fear-mongering!

To the future and God Bless America!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

As an Independant, I chose to vote Democrat, as I thought Hillary was the best person for the job!!!!!!! Now, that she is to cede, I feel that I need a reason NOT to vote for McCain!!!! Personally, I don't feel either canidate should be in office!!

Posted by: Moe | June 5, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"Obama has a questionable past and questionable connections. I also question where his high dollar campaign contributions came from."

What?! And you don't think this can be said about Clinton? Think about all of the connections her husband has -- the contributions to his Foundation and Library. Plus, most of Obama's $$ has come from small donors - regular people. It's Clinton that has had to depend on large donors.

I think some people just read (and believe) the viral emails and forget to actually read the newspapers...

Posted by: missmuffett | June 5, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

As previously stated above, "a little too late" I a Democrat will not support Obama?Clinton ticket, she is not deserving of such an honor, he should choose someone who agrees with his politics not her

Posted by: Beret | June 5, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I can not vote for him, no matter what. If she is not a choice, then I would rather see a Republican in there. Obama hates us, he hates America. He is not as he seems.

Posted by: 22 year DEM voter | June 5, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

NObama!

Sorry but Clinton could beg us to vote for that racist America hating radical Obama and I won't vote for him. Obama has a questionable past and questionable connections. I also question where his high dollar campaign contributions came from. Our country is not safe with him. McCain is a safer choice. I'll feel much safer on Nov. 12 with either Clinton or McCain as President.

20 year Democrat. The scary truth about Obama will come out.

Posted by: Sal | June 5, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Finally, the first "gracious" words from this power-obsessesed, divisive, selfish candidate since Obama's nomination victory on Tuesday evening. But one thing is clear, it took strong words from fellow-Democratic Senators, party leaders and even Shrillary's own supporters to bring the realization to her she had lost, and her curious statements were not helping the party to unify.

Thus, the condecension that it was time to end her campaign and acknowledge Obama's victory. Here is one 83 year-old Demo who distrusts Shrillay totally, and I shall watch and listen with interest on Saturday on the theme of her statement.

Her behavior since Tuseday rules her out at as a VP candidate. That would only make Obama look weak, and depart from his core message of "change!"

Posted by: Forrest Gerard | June 5, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Too little too late.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

...No time for losers....He is

the champion

Posted by: Q | June 5, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Great letter, Hillary 08.
Thanks for making me proud to be a Democrat one more time.

Posted by: greyparrot | June 5, 2008 11:08 AM

==========
Thank you. I player professional football for 9 years and at 6' 5" and as tough as they come, I sat down and wrote that letter through tears of disappointment. Last night someone who knows me emailed me the the youtube clip of Al Gore's concession speech.

It was after that I sat down and wrote my thoughts. I think all us democrats need to watch it and reassess our priorities.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Great letter, Hillary 08.
Thanks for making me proud to be a Democrat one more time.

Posted by: greyparrot | June 5, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Wow, No One has posted his rant on the prior postings of the The Trail blog. Copied and pasted exactly word-for-word. I guess s/he's one of those people that think the louder more frequently they same the same thing, regardless of other data or fact, then more people will listen. I don't think that strategy ever works.

Posted by: Sara | June 5, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

AN OPEN LETTER TO HILLARY CLINTON SUPPORTERS

I used to play professional sports and I always found it interesting how the fans took it so personal while to us it was just a job. Hillary is a professional politician. She knows how it works and as a candidate would do what ever she could to win the race.

But in the end, even though disappointed you can't lose sight of what the goals were. Like on a team, we all have the same goal regardless who carries the ball. Hillary knows this and believe me, it is not as personal to her as you may think. As important as winning to her was and as disappointed as she is, she knows where her loyalties must be now.

In the coming weeks emotions will come down and everybody will begin to have to rededicate themselves to the common goal of getting a democrat elected. Anything less is to disrespect your candidate and what she stands for. Take some time to get your thoughts together and then take a reality check.

It was never about getting the first black candidate elected, or getting the first woman elected, theses were just the dynamics that presented themselves, but they were never the issues or goals. We all share the same common goal weather we were for Hillary or Obama, a better country and future.

Hillary and Obama both stand for all of the same issues and ideas, our issues and ideas. Hillary is not going anywhere, she will be right there in the democratic party along side Obama fighting for us and what is important to us. This will not be possible if John Mccain is allowed to get into the white house.

All of Hillary's hard work and struggle will have been in vain, for nothing if this is allowed to happen. You know that and I know that. So let's take some time, get our emotions together, grieve a little if we must, but in the end let cooler heads prevail. We are all democrats.

We all share the same goals. Lets get that ball across the line in November and celebrate together as one. We owe it to our party, our country and most of all to Hillary. Lets make her proud and show we are all democrats.

Sincerely
A loyal Hillary Clinton supporter

Posted by: Hillary 08 | June 5, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Hillary Clinton is truly pathetic. We all know that she has to pay Mark Penn and others, yet I wouldn't ask money from my supports if I were her.

She should have conceded on the 3rd and behaved gracefully--if she wants her money loaned to her campaign back.

Sorry too late. Clintons are rich enough to pay those bills by themselves.

Posted by: peace4world | June 5, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Barrack Obama is A TROJAN HORSE! He claims to be a friend of America yet he's actually quite the opposite. Does anyone understand what he really is!?!? He Hates America more than Hitler Hated the Jews. His hate is unforgiving and everlasting! He is ACTING! Simply ACTING! Think about his church! He was there for over 20 Years, that's 20 years multiplied by 52 Sundays, which equals 1,040 Anti-American Sermons! He then, finally, signs an "official resignation" and we're all supposed think everything's alright?!? The KKK should have Sunday Church and we can all attend for 1,040 Sundays then just "resign", I'm sure noone would ever think we still shared the KKK's views... WAKE UP!!!!!! "IF" America has a 2nd Civil War it will be called "The War of the Free" I am ashamed of our country, just ashamed... We have become the United States of Retardica! If "we" fall the world will... We are a Benevolent Country, GOD BLESS AMERICA! Has far as the War in Iraq, I know we don't want to be in war... BUT! Do you really think that all those people in the WTC Towers wanted to Die!??!? NO! We are forced to go to war! Al Queda is in Iraq, we are in Iraq. We have to stop whining about gas prices, it will get better! This is not the Great Depression!

Posted by: No One | June 5, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

after this ridiculous primary - thank to her - i don't believe anything til i see it. can't wait til saturday.

Posted by: jencm | June 5, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully, this trip with Hillary is appearing to be finally finished.

Posted by: Charles from Vienna, VA | June 5, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully, this trip with Hillary is appearing to be finally finished.

Posted by: Charles from Vienna, VA | June 5, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Although there were times during the campaign that I thought Sen. Clinton showed little class in her attacks on Sen. Obama, the slate will be wiped clean when the endorsement takes place. Sen. Clinton is a GREAT, GREAT American and I am proud that she is a Democrat! It was smart of her to continue the race until the very end because yes, every vote counts (within the rules, of course)!!

Obama 08!!

Posted by: cruzcontrol | June 5, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Whats the betting she will still find a way to stick the knife in on Saturday night!

Posted by: Geoffrey | June 5, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"I", "I", "I", "I", and "me".

Thanks Hillary for that heartfelt outpouring. Buh Bye.

Posted by: Susan | June 5, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse