McCain Reaches Across the Aisle in Virtual Town Hall

By Michael D. Shear
Sen. John McCain held a novel, virtual town hall meeting Saturday afternoon that his campaign said was aimed at letting Democrats and independents ask McCain questions over a conference call.

For an hour, McCain fielded questions from a supportive group of people. Several called McCain their hero and said they planned to vote for him despite having supported Sen. Hillary Clinton in the primary.

"I'm a Democrat," said one woman. "But we're not happy with the choice of Senator Obama. Give me a bipartisan ticket ... give me something to work with to switch. I will vote Republican if you can give me a reason."

McCain offered a litany of Democrats he has worked with in the Senate, saying "I have consistently reached across the aisle." And he went out of his way to praise Clinton.

"I respect and admire the campaign she ran," he told the audience, some of which was gathered with him at his campaign headquarters, while others listened on the call. "When Senator Clinton came to the U.S. Senate, her first efforts were devoted to working together, Republicans and Democrats."

Bipartisanship was the word of the day for McCain, who is eager to expand beyond the Republican base in November. His campaign released a list of people who it said were Democrats -- among them, some active Clinton supporters -- and part of a group called Citizens for McCain.

For McCain, the ability to attract Democratic votes and independent ones, especially in the Rust Belt states of Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan, may determine whether he wins.

One woman who asked a question on the call said she was a Democrat, a former veteran and the fire chief of her city in Ohio and had decided to vote for McCain in the fall. After her comments, McCain invited himself to her town, saying that he wanted to meet her face to face.

"I'll take you anywhere you want to go," she said.

Campaign officials said about 40-50 supporters who had identified themselves as Democrats or independents were invited to a private meeting at the campaign's offices in Arlington for the town hall, which they said was also piped to "thousands" of people on the telephone. Reporters were not allowed to ask questions, but could listen in on the call.

By Web Politics Editor  |  June 14, 2008; 5:32 PM ET
Categories:  John McCain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McCain Says No to Returning Funds Raised by Controversial Oilman
Next: McCain Texas Fundraiser Back On, Sans Oilman

Comments

Just to look at John McCain with that stupid grin turns my stomach. I'm so sick of hearing about his time as a POW. There are so many veterans who were also POWs and you hear nothing about these veterans as if their experiences don't count. He is praising Hillary just as she praised him as if Barack is nothing. Hillary has done more to divide the Democratic Party than anybody else. Just because she didn't win, she'd rather see McCain in the White House than Barack.Who paid Father Pflager to say what he did about Hillary is what I'd like to know. The truth about that is going to come out sooner or later.McCain is a war monger who thinks it's not important when our troops come hom. No wonder so many of them are commiting suicide. He (McCain) doesn't want to talk about that, or that he wants to overturn Roe vs. Wade. What a piece of work he is. If he wins, I am moving to Canada. The man is losing what few marbles he had. McCain it's rocking chair time.

Posted by: Irma | June 15, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

To brownneri...

1. McCain's position in Iraq is a given and he has been consistent with this. At any rate, the troops are still in Iraq because Congress is still funding it. When the Dems finally find the political will to stop funding the war, the troops will be home.

2. Supreme court justices are confirmed by the US Senate. Roberts and Alito are in the Supreme Court because Democrats confirmed them. The president nominates, and the Senate confirms.

3. Again, the Senate confirms that justice. In addition, the Dems control congress and the Dems will set the law. (As an aside, the voters are divided on abortion with neither pro-choice or anti-abortion having clear advantage.)

3. McCain's health care stance is consistent with his pro-market views. I don't think this is the best, but he is again consistent. Compare this with Obama's plan, and this is way superior. Obama's plan is neither here nor there, and he could not even explain it. Try asking Obama why he could not go for universal coverage, and his reply would be something like "It is not that people don't want universal coverage, but people can't afford it." Non-sensical.

4. "His suport of tax cuts for the rich." This is pure slogan. To whom can one give tax cuts, except to those who pay taxes? Again, about taxes, any tax cuts only happen with Congress's concurrence. From an economic standpoint, tax cuts spur economic growth. Economic growth means more jobs. I would prefer that the government simplify the tax codes to remove the loopholes/tax deductions/excemption. The simpler the tax code is, the more transparent it becomes and collection efficiency can be gained.

5. "We thought that Bush was a moderate; don't make the same mistake with McCain." Many think Obama represent the ultra-liberal wing of the Democratic party. With Dems in control of Congress, the government will remain in the center if no party controls both Congress and the White House.

Posted by: CP Cook | June 15, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

McCain "reaches out." If he reached out to me with those nasty, gross old-man thumbs sticking up, I'd say "eeewwwwwwww" and run far, far away!!

Posted by: freerider | June 15, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Those democrats thinking of voting for MCain should contemplate:
His position on the Iraq war.
His promise to appoint people like Alito,Roberts, Scalia and Thomas to the supreme court.
His opposition to a woman's reproductive rights.
His stance on health care.
His suport of tax cuts for the rich.
We thought that Bush was a moderate; don't make the same mistake with McCain.

Posted by: browneri | June 15, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Scott, we are electing the person best prepared to lead the country, not the person who can withstand the most torture.

McCain served admirably but that has ZERO to do with being president. He's an inept, bumbling, mean, gross old man who should be shopping for a good rocking chair instead of trying to start more wars!

Posted by: freerider | June 15, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"McCain gets too much benefit of the doubt on critical issues because of something that happened to him 35 years ago"....Freerider-

No, he gets all the scrutiny of the liberal media IN SPITE of his service to this country, AND THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE you unrepentent ageist....the beauty of your lowbrow commentary is that you're turning off older Americans in the same way you compatriots are turning off moderate women....please don't let me disuade you.

Posted by: Scott | June 15, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Where is McCain's flag pin? And don't say he doesn't need one because he was a POW. That was 35 years ago. If we have to prove our patriotism by wearing cheap metal made in China, then he should, too!

Just because he served his country admirably 35 years ago is no reason to excuse him from supporting the new GI bill; it's no reason to assume he cares about these troops when he casually shrugs off and says it's not too important when they're coming home.

McCain gets too much benefit of the doubt on critical issues because of something that happened to him 35 years ago. He's a mean-spirited old man who has yet to show a hint of compassion for anyone less fortunate.

Posted by: freerider | June 15, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"The Whole world is watching us"
Dear Mr. Abraham.
Your copy and paste without researching anything is an example of the intellectual laziness that got America in this political mess.
Pew isn't a think tank, they are a left wing propaganda mill.
Pew's Ms. Rimel told Foundation News in 1991. That year she told Town & Country: "If we could reinfuse the idealism of the Sixties into our work, it could get the country out of this morass that problems are insoluble."
The "whole world is watching" , is false.

Pew wants you to think like that so you would think you are a cool guy and vote for a black , anti war globalist that was groomed for office by Communist Party leader, Frank Marshall Davis.

Be a cool guy; the first law Obama will sign is a $485 billion global poverty bill that will make you and your heirs indentured servants to the United Nations.

Cool guys deserve to be ruled.

Posted by: Bob Fanning | June 15, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"For the women who voted for HRC with their vaginas, they will pay the price" ....MadashellinVa...an Obama supporter
------------------------------
Please continue to post on all Washington Post sites, as well as the Detroit Free Press, Palm Beach Sentinel, and leading papers in Ohio and Missouri....

Posted by: Mark Salter | June 15, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Delilah Jones said of McCain: "But he does believe in principals and I doubt he would throw his own church under the bus."

Another example of a voter being ignorant. McCain was raised Episcopalian, yet when it became politically expedient for him he joined a large Baptist church that is well known for its preacher's anti-Catholicism. Stop talking out of your @ss and read. Also, what principles are we talking about? McCain has only become a anti-lobbyist reformer after he was caught with his pants down in the Keating 5 scandal not to mention his other instances of selling political influence to lobbyists. The man is a liar and I'm not falling for the "sincerity" he only developed when it came out how crooked he was.

Posted by: Andrew, New Orleans | June 15, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tomabrahams | June 15, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Saint, shut up! McCain is a confused, pandering old crypt keeper who graduated at the bottom of his class. He is mean, angry and too stupid to know who's who in Iraq.

All you can do is talk about people Obama knows. I don't need to talk about McCain's associates--indicted Rick Renzi, Keating, Abramhoff, Charlie Black, lobbyist for the military junta of Burma--since McCain himself is such a vile, pandering, decrepit old corrupt warmonger that his own party doesn't want to vote for him.

And besides those gross thumbs, what about those yellow, crooked teeth of his? Can somebody get McFossil some Crest White Stips?

Posted by: freerider | June 15, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Freerider- Your Cheap Shots are why you would actually support someone who has displayed the Integrity of a Jellyfish.

O'Bomba, and his CONSTANT Defensive maneuvers to correct Statements, or disassociate himself with people he was VERY associated with, are quite unfortunately, all we really seem to know about him.

See Senator McCain's "Thumbs" for 4 Years?

MUCH better, than 4 LONG Years of Retractions, and Political Posturing.

But wait, once he is IN, O'Bombanation can just relax, and be his TRUE Self!

You know, the one he has constantly been redefining and correcting to all the Fools, willing to be conned! :-(

Truth, McAmnesty has issues I want resolved, or at least a Conservative Veep with Economic Expertise.

OR, this might just wind up a Chance for a Third Party to win! ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | June 15, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Keating 5, my friends, Keating 5...

Posted by: John | June 15, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"And he has enough $$$ not to be tempted to get great real estate deals from crooks like Tony Rezco."

This is a hilarious line, since mccain has been involved in several land scandals. Of course average low info voter knows nothing about it since McCain's base the press won't cover it.

Posted by: Julian | June 15, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

McCain lacks character, judgment and style. He's a horrible candidate with no political skills (except pandering). He's wrong on all the issues. He's gross to look at just listening to that nasaly, whiny voice makes my ears bleed!!!!

Posted by: freerider | June 15, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

As a Democrat I am truly embarrassed to be a part of this party. How could we let this slip away.

Posted by: Cubs523 | June 15, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Since when does Obama have character?

Maybe he does. If so he must have the absolute worst judgement of any person running for office. Rezko, Ayers, Wright, Phlegger(sp), etc...

Obama on each, "this is not the man I knew..."

He's either lying or a terrible judge of character. Which do you prefer in a President?

Posted by: Scott | June 15, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

The level of hatred amongst Obama supporters is startling. Just read their comments. That is not a crowd I can relate to or be a part of. McCain is not the perfect candidate for sure. But he does believe in principals and I doubt he would throw his own church under the bus. And he has enough $$$ not to be tempted to get great real estate deals from crooks like Tony Rezco. I work my butt off every day, Obama wants to increase my taxes and increase the disparity created by affirmative action. In my opinion those are very wrong policies, which will increase the divisiveness in America. I do not find McCain to be great, but he's the best of what's around.

Posted by: Delilah Jones | June 15, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Can you imagine looking at McCain's gross thumbs for the next four year? Sheez!

Posted by: freerider | June 15, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"Did you vote for Kerry? Did you tell all your friends that they shouldn't vote for such a misogynistic cad? Unless you spoke out against Kerry, stop being such a hypocritical demagogue"

What Kerry has to do in there? This year is the man from the 19th centurey vs the youth ...

My friends, I was too young to vote for Kerry. Not everybody my friends is senile like McSame. My friends, I am so senile, my friends, that I have to repeat, my friends, repeat myself twice, so I could hear and try to remember what I said so I try, my friends not to flip flop, my friends.

To all of you, my friends, who, my friends, have economic problems, my friends, do like me.

dump sick wife and get young and rich one

Posted by: John | June 15, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Some Hillary supporters may want to vote for McCain to spite Obama but come November, they won't. It would be like trying to kiss the guy who leaves you cold to get back at the suave guy who didn't call you after the first date. In the end, they just can't stomach snuggling up to the smelly old geezer with the high-water pants and jelly on his shirt.

McCain is a completely uninspiring candidate obsessed with war

Posted by: freerider | June 15, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

McCain economics solution: dump sick wife and get young and rich one

you mean like Kerry did? at least McCain didn't try to have his marriage annulled like Kerry did. Kerry's first wife raised their kids pretty much alone but as soon as a rich woman came along, Kerry dumped her and tried to have the marriage annulled.

Did you vote for Kerry? Did you tell all your friends that they shouldn't vote for such a misogynistic cad? Unless you spoke out against Kerry, stop being such a hypocritical demagogue.

Posted by: sassysenora | June 15, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

MadasHelinVA:
You truly seem to be and expert on temper and senility....

Posted by: Anonymous | June 15, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

McSame says, "he ADMIRED and RESPECTED the way HRC ran her campaign." Jes*s Chr*st, I can't believe I just read that line! What a RACIST B*STARD he is since HRC used "RACE RELATIONS" and all the hatred inherent in that evil in her campaign to tear the Dem Party apart! Gotta give him credit for certainly knowing how to PANDER the same way she did! And the fact that they are both GREEDY, POWER HUNGRY OPPORTUNISTS with NO CHARACTER [nothing ever HONEST] makes them mental twins!

And since McSame is also a CONTROL FREAK just like HRC, there is NO DOUBT that they really are identical!

He's running for another term of the "BUSH FAILURE POLICIES", but with his violent temper, senility and age, I fear for us all if he manages a win!

For the women who voted for HRC with their vaginas, they will pay the price of voting McSame more than the rest of us because when he overturns Roe v Wade by his appointment of more conservative justices, they and their daughters will have "CHOICE" over their own bodies removed from their lives. They will have to LIVE WITH THEIR DECISION - not me!

Posted by: MadasHelinVA | June 15, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

My friends, here is a nice article, my friends. Historians, historian, my friends, they all say, they all say, my friends, that McCain does not stand a chance, chance, my friends.

Posted by: John | June 15, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

The event was a fraud. It was packed with pre-selected "undecided voters" and only managed to make McCain look like an even more unprepared candidate.

Posted by: matt | June 15, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Obama supporters.No worries. McCain's poling indicates that he is not picking up Hillary's women. In fact, Obama leads the old fella by 16 points among women,and is accelerating his support with the group. McCain's cannot compile any more supporters than he already has. As debates will prove McCain has no grasp of economics or even military thinking a commander needs outside of a fighter-pilots mentality.

Posted by: tanaS | June 15, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I have 3 girls, and I call THEM "sweetie" all the time, but they're children...when an adult calls another adult he's not related to or involved with romantically, "sweetie", it's demeaning...analagous to a white person referring to a black man as they would to a child...sexism is just as bad as racism...
I suppose that might be one of many reasons Debra Bartoshevich , the Clinton delegate is leaving the Democrat allegiance for Sen. McCain...

as far as his marital problems, I guess we'd have to go get tortured for years in a prison camp then come back to a marriage before we judged McCain's actions...John, you go first...

Posted by: Scott | June 15, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

McCain economics solution: dump sick wife and get young and rich one

Posted by: John | June 15, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Hey Obamaniacs: See Story Below....ooooh that must sting...see sexism is as bad a racism...remember when Obama referred to that reporter as "Sweetie"?...The "S" Word....well, the chickens have come home to roost...

by Frank James

Why did Sen. Barack Obama refer to a reporter during a Michigan campaign stop as "sweetie?"

Was it an attempt by the Democratic presidential candidate to show his affinity for blue-collar folks by attempting to sound like a waitress at a diner?

In the same vein, was he trying for a little machismo in front of the male workers at a Sterling, Michigan auto manufacturing plant he visited today?

Needless to say, a lot of women and even some men aren't going to like it.

Posted by: Scott | June 15, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

mHey Obamaniacs: See Story Below....ooooh that must sting...see sexism is as bad a racism...remeber when Obama referred to that reorter as "Sweetie"?...The S Word....well, the chickens have come home to roost...

by Frank James

Needless to say, a lot of women and even some men aren't going to like it.

Posted by: Scott | June 15, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

I never thought I'd see this happen! That's because it's never happened before... No, not the "Bounce" of 10-15 points Obama was predicted to experience after the primaries (it's down to a 3 point difference in the latest Gallop)...that didn't happen....No, The defection of an Elected Democrat Delegate to The Republican Nominee!
----------------
Delegate's reversal stuns party
Wisconsin Democrat now publicly supports McCain
By CRAIG GILBERT
cgilbert@journalsentinel.com
Posted: June 14, 2008
Washington - As an avid supporter of Hillary Rodham Clinton in the Democratic primaries, Debra Bartoshevich is not alone in her frustration over Clinton's defeat.

She's not alone in refusing to support Barack Obama.

And she's not entirely alone in saying she'll vote this fall for Republican John McCain instead.

But what makes her unusual is that she holds these views as an elected delegate to the Democratic National Convention in Denver this summer.

"I'm sure people are going to be upset with me," said Bartoshevich, a 41-year-old emergency room nurse from Waterford in Racine County, and convention delegate pledged to Clinton.

Joe Wineke, chairman of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin, reacted with disbelief when first told Friday afternoon that one of his state party delegates is now a McCain supporter.

"Not a delegate? To the national convention?" said Wineke, who was getting ready for the start of the Wisconsin state party convention Friday in Stevens Point.

"We have a Clinton national (convention) delegate who says she's voting for John McCain?" Wineke repeated, for clarification. "I've never heard of such a thing."

Posted by: Scott | June 15, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

McCain is an opportunist. When he came back from the war he found out that his wife had a car accident and became infirmed. According to her, McCain at 40 years tought he was 25. He dumped the mother of his 3 children so 3 months later he could marry a young and RICH woman.

Posted by: Lionel | June 15, 2008 6:12 AM | Report abuse

"

"He is willing to tell people directly how he feels towards something, and not skirt around truths as other candidates have shown", -Wesley Cho

Mr. Cho, What do you call the claim that in 20 years, Sen. Obama never HEARD...not walked out when he began to hear, but NEVER HEARD a controversial word uttered by Rev. Wright? Is that believable to you...mind you, I would not hold it against him if he DID SIT THROUGH A SMALL NUMBER of speeches before complaining or leaving the church...the subject matter is determined in any given week by chance, but to go to church 45 times a year for 20 years and NEVER hear a bad one in 900 chances, that's NOT telling the truth...neither is calling the Rezko purchase and sale of his sideyard a "bonehead move"...that's not skirting the truth...that's putting an evening gown on it...it was the worst kind of political kickback, PLEASE....you might as well be giving a speech against the war and then vote to fund it multiple times!"

All the church incidents indicate to me is that Obama probably wasn't a regular attender of church, and probably happened to have been there when there were good sermons. However, we have little clue about what the sermons there were like prior to the inclusion of the political process affecting the church. In any case, this is a small issue IMO than blatantly disrespecting the intelligence of Americans by telling them that lower gas taxes would equate with increased savings, ignoring the fact that that just means the saved money gets pocketed by the oil companies. Any politician that brazen will never get my vote.

As for the Rezko incident, Obama appeals to the sense of reason in his explanation, and I'm inclined to believe him as long as he backs it up with integrity in his stated policy for various things. So far any questionable relation dug up by the media does not question Obama himself, and some of it is quite laughable. This alone makes me suspect that this is the type of person we need serving government more.

As much as people like to dislike people like Obama or Paul or even Nader, the one aspect that shines in all politicians like them is that they won't beat about the bush for political convenience/deception. The best that the media tries to do is to induce ad hominem attacks from those against them to discredit them as people since it fuels ratings and retains a firm grip on corporate media's influence in the US, instead of encouraging intellectual discussion on actual issues (which can be especially harmful to big companies/organizations), or even tackling on the thrust of issues these people bring up. The most striking recent example is the comparison of the proposed Obama and McCain tax plans - we only hear how so-and-so groups of people are backing so-and-so, and not why exactly except vague and redundant comments like "we believe [insert candidate]'s plan is better", which is already obvious to the reader and not informative at all except to induce some readers to make the logical fallacy of drawing the conclusion that special interests must necessarily fuel both their agenda, in this case, Wall Street. With countless examples of poor journalism out there (or in the case of Murdoch's News Corp empire, sometimes outright false and/or dishonest reporting), it is shameful that it has gotten people to spend more time discussing non-issues rather than stated policies and their positives & negatives.

Posted by: Wesley Cho | June 15, 2008 3:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NotoMcCain | June 14, 2008 11:10 PM

What about the Obama ads for the Nevada caucus that called Clinton a f**king wh*re? Yep, the same thing that MSM Obama supporter Randi Rhodes called her. The ad was in Spanish but it turned off many Hispanics to Obama forever. I think the only reason the MSM didn't say anything was that they were already in Obama's pocket and few of them care about Hispanics.

These were ads for Obama, not some random person in the audience at an Obama event (like what happened with McCain). So by your logic, we should all work as hard as we can to keep Obama out of the White House if we have any respect for Sen. Clinton, ourselves or our daughters. I agree. Running ads calling your opponent a f**king wh*re is a LOT worse than not rebuking an audience member you don't even know.

Obama himself made many misogynistic remarks against Senator Clinton and other women. (e.g., dismissing Clinton's foreign policy experience as nothing more than drinking tea at ambassadors' homes, calling a professional journalist "sweetie", calling Sen. Boxer "a cutie", the "wipe the dirt off my shoulder" gesture in reference to Senator Clinton, calling her "that little woman", saying "She's got the kitchen sink flying, and the china flying, and the, you know, the buffet is coming at me," saying Clinton was "on edge", "Senator Clinton, periodically when she's feeling down, launches attacks as a way of trying to boost her appeal", "suddenly the claws come out", "You're likeable enough, Hillary," "Who does she think she is, Annie Oakley?") Note to those of you who dismiss the "periodically when she's feeling down", "on edge" and other jibes as paranoia: these are very common putdowns among professional men, including lawyers like Obama, toward professional women. You may pretend not to understand them or their inherently dismissive, discriminatory nature, but that says more about your insensitivity than it does about the denigrating nature of the remarks.

I didn't hear McCain regularly making misogynistic remarks. Obama is the only candidate who did that.

The above are only some of the misogynistic remarks Obama intentionally and publicly made in the last few months. Obama was consistently disrespectful to Senator Clinton and to other women. I've never seen a candidate for ANY office be as sexist or misogynistic as Obama. His staff was even worse and his supporters were worse than his staff. Obama has set American women back at least 40 years. Why would I - or any woman - ever vote for him?

A proud PUMA

Posted by: sassysenora | June 15, 2008 3:19 AM | Report abuse

KB, I believe McCain was referencing Obama when he said "sometimes it is tough" considering she has only been proud of her country when her husband wins a primary. You seemed to have missed the tone in his voice.

Even if you missed it, McCain never said that he wasn't proud of his country as Michelle Obama stated when she said "For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country."

Posted by: Mitch | June 15, 2008 2:36 AM | Report abuse

The part that the Washington Post left out that was most critical as reported by the NY Times:

"One of the more striking exchanges occurred when a participant asked, "How can I be proud of my country?"

"Sometimes it's tough," Mr. McCain replied. "I think we can be proud of America because of what we've achieved and accomplished in this world."

"We have made a lot of mistakes, and we have got to be more humble," he continued. "We have to be more inclusive."

So when Michelle Obama makes a similar comment it's a big deal?

Posted by: KB | June 15, 2008 2:32 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Cho, I see that you believe McCain skirts around issues. Is that why he went to Iowa during the caucuses (a state where 90% of the population believes that ethanol is vital to their livelihood) and told them that ethanol is bad for the environment and the economy. He told them that it is driving up fuel prices AND food prices. He didn't care if they didn't like it, he told it how it is. Or maybe when he was in Nevada a few weeks ago and told them that nuclear power is inevitable and that storage in Yucca Mountain must happen unless breakthroughs occur in science.

Does not seem like he skirts the issues. The only Obama story I have heard where he confronts issues is when he told automanufacturers that they need to make better cars. Hmmmmm. Doesn't seem to compare.

Posted by: Mitch | June 15, 2008 2:32 AM | Report abuse

The part that the Washington Post left out that was most critical as reported to by the NY Times:

Posted by: KB | June 15, 2008 2:31 AM | Report abuse

Anyone wondering about John McCain's positions on women's issues and his true views on Sen. Clinton needs to read Frank Rich's column in the NY Times Sunday. A great recap of McCain's positions on issues of importance to women and his campaign's duplicitous solicitation to Sen. Clinton's supporters.

Posted by: straight talk my a** | June 15, 2008 2:25 AM | Report abuse

Im confused! There is soooo much Mccain bashing....but have you all forgotten that the democrats were begging Mccain to be VP just 36 months ago? How can a man be good enough to be your VP for Kerry 3 years ago....then all of sudden become the enemy? Sorta sounds like how Hillary was queen last year and then her party threw her under the bus...lol Just an observation...lol

Posted by: Maliek | June 15, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

OBAMA is a Trojan Horse! But before I go into that, I want to address these idiots about WWII. The world is extremely lucky that the Kamikaze Japanese attacked the U.S. Please refer to www.luft46.com . You will see Hitler's plan for America and the technology the U.S. obtained from the NAZIs. The Japanese would "stop at nothing" to kill all Americans, even though we were a neutral country at the time. The Japanese emperor (yes, Japan was not as civilized back then; it was basically communist) actually knew that only America had the power to stop the Germans and feared us. Ironically thank god, Japan attacked us and pulled us into the war. In 1946, Hitler's plan to kill America would have done just that. We had to do what we did to stop all efforts at ending democracy and freedom for all human beings. The Japanese would not stop... "God Bless America!"
In reference to the "race card", I actually out of mere curiosity looked up African American billionaires to see Business experience. I found that they as a whole race had only 4 Billionaires in U.S. history. Actually a Black Wo-MAN (Oprah Winfrey - Talk show host) had more money than any black "man" for 3 years running, but what I found is that Blacks have NEVER had a Multi-Billionaire in U.S. history. It scared me because the U.S.A. is a Multi-Trillion dollar country (business)!!! Obviously white little "boys" don't know anything about real money and Fifty (No Sense) Cent knows everything, much like many ENTERTAINMENT welfarians (Compared to Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, etc...). They don't know anything about Real Money and Real Business. Bottom-line blacks have not advanced into real business (Freedom of FREE ENTERPRISE) enough for any of them to run a Multi-Trillion Dollar Country... (What about in Africa? Why does the U.S. still contribute 50% of world wide food money? Why can't Africa have more 1st world countries? Why don't the Blacks take care of their own? Obama wants to Increase the Welfare Program and have a mandate for Health Care for Children so American taxpayers can pay for the children who don't have a responsible "MAN" in their lives. Please take a look at which race has the most children in adoption programs.)
OK Back to Religion, The United Church of ANTI-CHRIST in Chicago, where Obama attended for over 20 years, which by the way America, every year has 52 Sundays! Do the math! (20 years x 52 Sundays = 1,040 Anti-Christ Sermons!) WOW! And whites invented Aids but forgot to invent the cure! (Is Aids just a Black Disease? Um NO, we also forgot to make it racially specific, I personally have taken credit for Hurricanes.) Obama is simply acting like he is pro-american, but in truth his unforgiving and everlasting hate rivals Satan's himself. Reverend Wright/Obama's beliefs are simply insane! (The Wright Voting law should go into effect, where Voters can change their vote even after they've already voted because they should have the power to change their mind until the DNC.) "God will not hesitate to throw Satan out of Heaven, don't you ever, ever forget it!" Can the world imagine if Americans didn't help so many people?!?! Imagine it!
Spike Lee's comments to Clint Eastwood were ridiculous. Obama and Lee are simply successful in one aspect and that is to rehash a lot of old hate. "IF" we have another civil war in America, it will be called "The War of the Free". If Satan thinks he's better than God, then God will be more than happy to show him the door... The truth is, as all know, is that Blacks have not always been this advanced. Recently I viewed a show on the Discovery Channel where a Black "Man" invented Irrigation in Africa in 2007.
On to "Change we can Believe in." = "Change you can Xerox!" Wasn't it Hillary Clinton and the Clintons who taxed people over $250,000.00/year incomes? Um YES! So Obama got out his trusty Thesaurus and "changed the wording" but forgot to change the income amount. Payroll Taxes and Taxing people with over $250,000.00/year incomes is the same thing! Also, the DNC does NOT require candidates to report donors (campaign contributors) under $200.00. So Obama kept a list of all of these donors and literally bribed super delegates with his list. So when these Democrats go for re-election they have a fresh list of donors to once again loyally contribute.

In closing I want to say MCCAIN/CLINTON 2008. It's time for a Bi-Partisan Ticket, a Strong President with an economical genius VP (Clinton). The last time the U.S. had a Bi-Partisan ticket was Lincoln's 2nd term.

I'm not a racist. I am merely a REALIST, this is REALISM, do NOT mistake it for anything else...

Posted by: No One | June 15, 2008 1:36 AM | Report abuse

In much-too-ignored Senate news, meanwhile, there were FIVE polls released over the past 2 days from important races. Full roundup here: http://www.campaigndiaries.com/2008/06/senate-nrscs-move-towards-giving-up-va.html

Posted by: Dan | June 15, 2008 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Scott | June 15, 2008 1:26 AM | Report abuse

I find all of this cordiality that McCain is showing strange, as he did not show any of that beforehand.

What I think all of the people disliking Obama don't realize is that while Obama has shown excellent rhetoric, his presentation is markedly different from most presidential candidates. He is willing to tell people directly how he feels towards something, and not skirt around truths as other candidates have shown, such as Clinton and McCain (i.e. the despicable lack of intelligence both have shown in their approach about repealing the gas tax, showing that they cared nothing for truth and instead slide their way into people's hearts using mistruths). True, Obama needs to still prove himself if he becomes president, but I would much rather give someone a chance if he/she is as straightforward as possible, regardless of whether he/she is a Democrat or a Republican. Who's to say that I can trust what McCain says after he betrayed the public trust with the proposal about repealing the gas tax?

Most of these politicians fail the litmus test for intellectual honesty, but so far, with each word, Obama has shown that he is intelligent and willing to assume that the American people share some degree of his intelligence. As a centrist leaning libertarian, I have nothing but respect for Obama despite disagreeing with some of his stances. Such a person is less likely to perpetuate any degree of the secrecy of the Bush administration, or blatant support of special interests such as an incredibly partisan Republican controlled FCC.

Posted by: Wesley Cho | June 15, 2008 1:12 AM | Report abuse

__Wow, I never thought I'd see it happen! No, not the "Bounce" of 10-15 points Obama was predicted to experience after the primaries (it's down to a 3 point difference in the latest Gallop)...that didn't happen....No, The defection of a Democrat Delegate to McCain!
----------------
Delegate's reversal stuns party
Wisconsin Democrat now publicly supports McCain
By CRAIG GILBERT
cgilbert@journalsentinel.com
Posted: June 14, 2008

She's not alone in refusing to support Barack Obama.

Posted by: Scott | June 15, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Do us all a favor and wipe McCain's come off your lips, Mr. Shear. It's kinda embarrassing watching it dribble down your chin.

Posted by: Peter Principle | June 15, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

To XAX:

NO FREE RIDE; NO FREE EXPOSURE for McSame.

Sen Obama please continue your counter offer strategy with Sen McCain. Let McSame buy his own air time. Let him draw his own crowds.

Sen Obama could run rings around Sen McCain in any forum, except those like the one held recently in NH populated with hand picked McSame supporters (more a pep rally than a forum). Kind of reminds me of Bush's so called town meetings. McSame is more and more McSame everyday.

Why is it that Sen McSame is unwilling to engage in the traditional debate format in addition to the town hall format that Sen Obama counter proposed? There is no script in any of those formats?

Again,
No Free RIDE; NO FREE EXPOSURE for McSame.

Posted by: Nofreelunch | June 14, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

To those Hillary supporters who say they will vote for McCain, how does it feel to be on the losing side...twice???

These kinds of mindless taunts are a big reason that loyal Democrats are even considering voting for a Republican candidate, and a candidate as bad as McCain to boot. Obama's supporters should be reaching out to Hillary's, but so many of them come across as smug, elitist jerks. Want to win? Respect the half of the Democratic electorate that voted for Hillary.

Posted by: shellray | June 14, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

The BOs will continue to bully anyone and everyone.. It's so painfully obvious (i.e. significant numbers). Look at the message about 2012 - I hope I'm still alive in 2012..

To me, "President BO" looks like a sure thing; so I'll have to be satisfied with making a protest vote; but it amazes me how the threats and intimidation persist! This only convinces me that my vote has been and will be correct.

BOs: Get a clue! Paranoia is not helping, not in my case and I suspect this is true in a lot of cases..

Posted by: Inthetail | June 14, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

McDinosaur said:

Posted by: shellray | June 14, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

If Obama should lose because of Hillary's supporters not voting Democrat, then she might as well find a new party. No Obama supporter will be voting for her in 2012 or 2016.

Posted by: The Super | June 14, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

This has got to be the biggest non-event of the year.

Posted by: John McDinosaur | June 14, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

For those women who want to vote for McCain, I have a few questions:

What is McCain stance on Roe V. Wade?

What is his stance on equal pay for women?

Given that McCain was educated on the G.I Bill, why does he oppose the new G.I Bill?

Given that he wants to continue the war in Irag for another hundred years, and given that your children, husbands, and wives are going to be fighting this war, why is that a good thing?

Why would anyone in their right mind vote against their own interest?

Posted by: Tunde | June 14, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Why should Obama dance to McCain's music just because McCain double dog dared him.McCain has Altzheimer's and so does Cindy. I'd like to see her go have to answer some questions.

Posted by: majorteddy | June 14, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Too much is being made about these so-called die-hard female clinton supporters. These woman never planned on voting for Obama period. The media is creating this narrative about Clintons female supporters. The vast majority of women will support Obama. And those who are still on the fence will vote for Obama once they learn about McCain vile and nasty voting record toward womens reproductive rights. I can certainly understand some womens anger about the way Hillary was treated, but to blame it on Obama and vote for McCain just to spite the Obama and dem's is just plain stupid and that is not what Hillary Clinton would want.

Posted by: Tom | June 14, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Hillary supporter who would never vote for McCain. But I credit McCain for a smart strategy. I hope that it doesn't succeed, but if it does Obama's supporters deserve a share of the blame. The so-called "progressives" passed up no opportunity to trash Hillary, on the blogs, in the media (especially MSNBC, HuffPo, many of the Air America hosts). As a lifelong Democrat I'm appalled by the disrespect fellow Democrats have shown Hillary. While I won't do so I completely understand why other Hillary supporters would consider voting for McCain.

Posted by: shellray | June 14, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

People really think this is a joke. Now I am really upset that Hillary lost the primary and that the dnc tried to rush the process. I mean she was still winning primaries when people for weeks were telling her to get out. I think she was dealt a raw deal. I cant beleive that Obama can get away with calling his grandma a "typical white" person,but bill and hillary get burned alive for saying jesse jackson won south carolina and someone besides Martin Luther king jr has something to do with civil rights. Can you imagine if Hillary had said that someone was a typical black person oh my. I am saying this as a black woman. Obama is not what he seems and I think he is cocky and he has probably told hillary he doesnt need her help and dont expect any positons in his administration. I wouldnt blame hillary for not saying another thing and see if he actually wins I mean he was picked up and carried over the finish line for the nomination. He should be thanking his lucky stars that all the stuff that came out has come out now instead of later, but I am sure theres more because it turns out that Obama is just another politican who hangs out with corrupt people, and crazy clergymen.

Posted by: rachel | June 14, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Attn: Hillary Supporters planning to vote for McCain

Please do not forget the 18.1M of us who supported Obama this primary season. Hillary Clinton will need us in 2012 when she decides to run for office again. We will not forget your threats of voting for McCain. If you do, we will vote for the other candidate in 2012. Then your candidate Hillary Clinton can kiss the White House bye bye once again! We need each other. Clinton got 17.9M votes, Obama got 18.1M votes......... WE NEED EACH OTHER. Hillaryites - vote McCain in the Fall, we Obamites will not vote for Clinton in 2012!!

Posted by: islandtal | June 14, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Frankly Obama will not do the townhalls because he can't do much without a script. Nearly every time I see him, he's talking AT people not with them. He's barely engaging people in conversation. And you say McCain's stuff is rigged, the few time's Obama is talking with people they're his supporters and no one else. It's hard to get straight talk if everyone agrees with you. At least with McCain, you will get some variety.

Posted by: xax | June 14, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

More of McCain's rigged nonsense! So Obama doesn't feel the need to engage in 10 town hall meetings? Why should he? Why should he dance to McCain's tune!

McCAIN'S ANOTHER GEORGE BUSH. Any women who are still angry about Hillary losing should get over their petulance and realize -- AS MOTHERS -- that McCain will keep the war going and GET MORE OF THEIR CHILDREN KILLED FOR NOTHING -- WAKE UP!!!

Posted by: ArchiesBoy | June 14, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I signed up for, and was invited in on the virtual town hall meeting. I posted a question: What about funding for NCLB? (No Child Left Behind)

NCLB has been, since its inception, an unfunded mandate for increased testing. Federal budget requires the NCLB testing, but falls $14 billion short of what is required to accomplish it, leaving states to take up the slack. Also, NCLB provides no funds to help struggling schools to provide the help students need.

So, I asked:
Is McCain in favor of renewing, repealing, or finally funding NCLB?
I waited online for an hour, heard platitude after platitude, obsequious caller after obsequious caller. Only the most McCain-friendly of callers were allowed to ask their questions.

Near the end, however, McCain finally said that he would fully fund NCLB, mentioning that it was a good law that Ted Kennedy was in favor of. So there you have it. McCain is in favor of funding NCLB. He might "forget" that statement, conveniently, later, depending upon what he or his advisers consider to be politically expedient.

Another thing I noticed while listening in: there were definitely protesters in the background. I could hear people shouting antiwar slogans.
I wonder if these will be edited out of the video when the Mccain campaign posts the video of the "virtual town hall."

Posted by: mamajama | June 14, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Shannon-LOL! :-D

"Poaching" comes naturally to Juan McCain.

He perfected it when he "Bagged" Cindy! Young, and Wealthy!

Truth, he must really be some sort of a Ladies Man!

Personally, I feel the more that People realize WHO controls "Barry's" Strings, more People will by default support the Republican Party-Only because we cannot support the World Labor Party!

I just wish O'Bombanation's Master; Harry Reid, would get together with these Congressional Clowns running for another Office, and try to do anything POSITIVE with the Jobs they already have!

Based on what Congress has NOT done, it should be illegal for one of them to get a more Powerful Job!

"I'm a Totally Incompetent Kicker, so I want to be Quarterback!" "Sorry, can't kick anything, I'm trying to be the Quarterback now!"

"What's that? I am expected to be Kicking? You all need me to!" "But I'm too busy trying to convince everyone I'll be a Great Quarterback now, for the NEXT Game!" ;~)

Allow this Coach to say, Our Quarterback, should be the player who is PLAYING the Best, RIGHT NOW!

Posted by: SAINT---The | June 14, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

That is one of the most desperate convoluted arguments I have heard yet.

++++++++++
HRC supporters should not fear McCain because there will be the Democratic Congress as a firewall to parry any "third term of Bush." After four short years, in 2012 Sen. Clinton will be the presidential candidate to get America back on track.

With Sen. Clinton's exit coerced by the rigged DNC, the White House and "unity" are a pipe dream for cult leader Obama and the corrupt Democratic Party.

HRC supporters will not surrender in "unity" to the cult powers of Obama. HRC supporters will campaign and vote for McCain in the swing states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Florida. I will volunteer and vote for McCain in a swing state.

Obama has no legitimacy as the Democratic nominee. He did not get the nomination fair and square. He stole the nomination with Howard Dean's MI and FL shenanigans and de facto Obama surrogate Nancy Pelosi rigged the nomination for Obama. Cult leader Obama is unqualified, inexperienced, and unelectable as a radical left wing liberal.

Sen. Clinton is the legitimate Democratic nominee with solutions of real change and a change in direction to get America back on track. She is the best qualified and the strongest candidate to win the general election hands down. The corrupt and rigged DNC dashed an easy landslide victory with Sen. Clinton for a crushing defeat with cult leader Obama.

Posted by: crat3 | June 14, 2008 6:29 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | June 14, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Senator McCain, we don't care that you are desperate for our vote. Next time, maybe you will vote to support equal pay and believe that women should earn the same as their male counterparts. Senator McCain, maybe next time you will vote to allow birth control, FMLA, CHIP so our children can have health care, and so on. Maybe, you could just take one single stance that supports the causes that Hillary has championed all these years. Hillary supporters are too smart to not see you are pandering. I have never seen a politician with absolutely none of the same values disrespect voter intelligence as much as you are doing. As my candidate of choice would say, "Shame on you". We are going to vote for Obama as he does have the right stance on all our issues.

Posted by: ldsrapha | June 14, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

LOL!! This is priceless. McCain can't even shore up his own base, so he wants to go poaching. As a firm Hillary supporter I can safely say, I would NEVER consider for a second a man with such a complete FAILURE Of a voting record on Women's Issues. Obama and Clinton are 97% the same on every policy. McCain is the complete opposite and a dissapointment as a legislature. Sure he is going to attract a few voters that have no clue why they were supporting Hillary or what beliefs she held, but the majority of us are going to say NO THANKS!! You can vote on that!

Posted by: Shannon | June 14, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

This blog shows the true colors of many of the Obama supporters. They claim to believe in open and fair debate but they slander and ridicule McCain and his wife for the audacity of having physical disabilities and being old. The Obama supporters claim follow their candidate on an intellectual level but in fact many voting out of pure hate for Bush and Republicans as a whole. I do not find McCain to be the perfect candidate to say the least but I refuse to throw my hat in with the blind and angry Obama liberals.

To boot, the only experience Obama can properly claim is the fact that he got away with accepting a great deal on property from his "good friend" Tony Rezco. Is there any disagreement on that point? And would you consider the property "purchase" a character defining transaction?

Posted by: Jack-A-Roe | June 14, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: crat3 | June 14, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Chris-Oh Cheer up!

Ok, so some Moderates fall to McCain, take a wild guess how many of the foolish Paulites are going to prove themselves to be nothing but the Spoilers they were when they go to O'Bombanation!

Way too many people voting emotionally, and not intellectually! :-(

Posted by: SAINT---The | June 14, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Clintonites who support McCain will go down in history with the Naderites of 2000 as being the deciding factor in electing a disastrous Republican administration.

If Clintonites believe in what Hillary Clinton believes in, they will vote for Barack Obama in 2008.

Posted by: Chris | June 14, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

McCain can pull in many CLinton supporters with a solid choice in VP..
he'd slaughter Barry.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 14, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks you Sen McCain.We know some one cares.

Posted by: Jane | June 14, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

This is a BS propaganda story and the media went for it.. Like those phony people who are carrying signs where Mccain appears saying "Clinton voter for Mccain". Yea right.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 14, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Should Cindy McCain's Brain Damage Be A Campaign Issue?

I don't know whether Americans care if the First Lady is mentally disabled - that's a question for McCain's pollsters. What I want to know is why McCain would even subject his poor wife to the rigors of a presidential campaign and worldwide scrutiny in the first place. The question speaks directly to McCain's personal cruelty and unbridled ambition.

Although the true extent of the brain damage has not been publicly disclosed, Cindy McCain's 2004 stroke is not a secret.

In a very flattering September 2007 interview in More, Paul Alexander wrote about the stroke damage:

"In conversation, she will occasionally have trouble remembering certain facts, especially from the recent past, and if you look closely you realize she cannot make her right hand into a complete fist, which has affected her handwriting, if not her ability to grasp a gearshift knob. "It's not bad," she says, describing the damage to her hand. "I can function. I have short-term memory loss. I can remember all the major details of my life, but I sometimes can't remember what happened last week."

I suspect that John McCain, viewed his wife's stroke more in terms of how it would affect his bid for the presidency than else.

From a January 2005 Larry King show:

"MCCAIN: I was the one at home that everyone came to to program their computers, fix their phones, do anything electrical, technical, anything on the computer. I can't get near it now. I'm overwhelmed by it.

And it's weird for me. And I might also say, I suffer from migraines also. And your last caller that called in -- and I just had an episode about a week and a half ago, where I didn't know, I thought I was having another stroke. It was a different kind of...

KING: Has the senator been very sympathetic?

MCCAIN: Yes. And I -- please don't -- let me explain that. He was very confused in the beginning. He didn't -- like everyone in the family, how could it happen to my wife? I'm 18 years older than she is. It doesn't happen to someone that's younger than you are. So on his behalf, I think he's trying to understand all this. It's a lot for him to take in."

In October 2007, Cindy McCain was hobbling around South Carolina as the result of a fall down in a Phoenix grocery store. Was her fall caused by her brain damage? Is the question any of our business?

Inevitably, the issue of the extent of Cindy McCain's brain damage will enter the public arena. So far, Mrs McCain has only had to field softballs lobbed at her by sympathetic journalists. Can the McCain campaign limit her public appearances to three-minute soundbites until November? I don' think so, not in today's political environment.

Why, Senator McCain, would you do this to your wife?

Posted by: Beth Martin | June 14, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Ummm, obviously I meant "John McCain "re-elected" to George Bush's 3rd term.

Posted by: straight talk my a** | June 14, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I respect anyone's reasoned choice of a candidate, no matter what party. What I question is someone, whether Republican primary voters participating in "Operation Chaos" or disgruntled Democrats using their votes as punishment, mischief or revenge. This is too important of an election -- look at Sen. McCain's comments on the Supreme Court's ruling on civil liberties at Gitmo if you don't believe me. A 5-4 decision, the 4 dissenters all the youngest Republican appointees, the 5 old guard protecting our civil liberties by the slenderest thread (Justice Stevens in 88 years old all the rest over 70). Yes, Roe v. Wade is most frequently mentioned as the first likely casualty of a new right wing majority, but it goes so much further than that (including EPA protections, food and water safety, expansion of mining and logging into pristing old growth forests etc. etc.) We don't have four years to tread water until 20012 for who you believe to be the perfect candidate to run again. A worthy and incredibly candidate gave her all and came up short; as a middle-aged woman I don't want to have people pointing at me and my peers as the reason John McCain gets re-elected!

Posted by: straight talk my a** | June 14, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

OMG! LOL! :-D

LOL!

Allow me to Add: I am a Conservative Republican, give ME a Bi-Partisan Ticket!

The "Democrat" is the front runner, WE need Mitt Romney as at least a Republican Veep!

The World Labor Party is what O'Bombanation is representing! ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | June 14, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

How about accepting $300K from the buddies of a guy who thinks rape is no big deal? Hey! That's a great reason to vote for McCain. Want more? I have a bunch. None of them are good, though.

Posted by: Susan | June 14, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse