McCain to Travel to Colombia and Mexico

By Michael D. Shear
ORANGE COUNTY, Ca. -- Fresh off his return from Canada, Sen. John
McCain announced today that he will travel next week to Colombia and
Mexico, making a south-of-the-border trip to emphasize his foreign
policy experience and the need for free trade.
"I want to go to Colombia as it is a vital ally in our struggle
against the scourge of drugs," McCain told reporters at a brief news
conference in Riverside California. "I am strongly in favor of the
free trade agreement between the United States and Colombia."
McCain has made a point of traveling outside of the United States
since becoming the nominee of his party. He traveled to Iraq, Israel,
Paris and London in the spring, and made a one-day visit to Canada
last week.

By Washington Post Editors  |  June 24, 2008; 6:53 PM ET
Categories:  John McCain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama's Emails With Scarlett Johansson
Next: Obama Asks Donors to Help Pay Clinton Debt

Comments

J Baustian must be getting paid by McCain 2008 - either that or he's tripping on those South American drugs.

McCain is a big, fat mess. "War, Terror, Iraq, 100 years, I'm not an economist, I'm a liberal (I mean, a conservative) Republican, Bomb-Bomb-Bomb Iran, amnesty, I'm against Bush tax cuts, I'm for Bush tax cuts, my ex-wife is a C---".

Need I say more?

Posted by: ILoveAmerica | June 26, 2008 3:35 AM | Report abuse

One more thing I'd like to mention: John McCain has not made any mistakes so far in this campaign. Remember how last summer he was ruled out -- all the pundits were talking about the top 3 GOP contenders, and McCain was not one of them. Since then he has been extremely lucky, but also hasn't made any mistakes.

On the other hand, Obama has made so many mistakes that it's impossible to list them here. But topping the list is his wholesale adoption of the Herbert Hoover economic platform: higher taxes, protectionism, and regulatory overreach.

Posted by: J Baustian | June 26, 2008 2:51 AM | Report abuse

There is plenty of time for campaigning after the elections -- this is when the candidates SHOULD be learning more about the actual conditions in the world, because one of them will be the next president and will have to be the "leader of the free world". Mexico is always important, Columbia is extremely important -- McCain is letting them and us know that he understands this. Obama can talk about appealing to Hispanic voters with domestic programs, but at least some of them want a president who will work with Latin American leaders. (And I don't mean Hugo Chavez or the Castro brothers.)

Posted by: J Baustian | June 26, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

** THE ELECTION IS HERE ! THE VOTERS ARE HERE IN THE USA ! WHO IS GOING TO PROTECT US FROM THE "RECONQUISTA" INVASION BY THE HATEFUL , RACIST , TERRORIST GROUP "LA RAZA" ??? IS THIS WHY HE IS GOING TO MEXICO ??? COULDNT HE JUST WARN THEM FROM HERE ???

Posted by: Lenny | June 25, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Why would McCain want to go to Colombia and Mexico, the less we are involved in those country, the more cocaine Obama has to snort! YEYO!!!!

Posted by: Obama in'16 | June 25, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure why WaPo did a big story on McCain's environmental promises while omitting his voting record on the issue. McCain received a zero rating in 2007 from the League of Conservation Voters. Like Bush, McCain hopes to deceive the American people by saying one thing (which the media reports) while doing another (which the media ignores).

Posted by: bam | June 25, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

MCCAIN IS MAKING A BIG MISTAKE. GOING TO THESE FOREIGN COUNTRY'S WHEN SO MANY AMERICANS HAVE LOST JOBS TO THEM. IT SHOWS A LACK OF RESPECT FOR THOSE AMERICANS INWHICH SUFFERED FROM THE NAFTA AGREEMENT. WHEN MCCAIN GOES OVER THERE AND TALK OF FREE TRADE ITS GOING TO COST HIM VOTES IN THE US AND IT SHOULD. MCCAIN ISN'T FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. I HAVEN'T HEARD ON GOOD THING A MCCAIN ADMINISTRATION WOULD DO FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. ALL I HEAR FROM MCCAIN IS YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF AND LESS GOVERNMENT IS BETTER WHEN ITS CITIZENS NEED GOVERNMENT MORE THAN EVER. THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION HAS SPENT NEARLY A TRILLION DOLLARS IF NOT MORE ON THE BLUNDER OF IRAQ AND IF MCCAIN THINKS THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AREN'T GOING TO ASK FOR COMPENSATION OR HELP FROM THEIR GOVERNMENT WHEN THEIR HARD EARNED DOLLARS HAVE PAYED FOR A WAR WE WAS LIED TO ABOUT HAS ANOTHER THING COMMING. SPEND ALL OUR TAX DOLLARS ON A LIE IN IRAQ, THEN TELL US AFTER RUINING OUR ECONOMY, AND SHIPPING OUR JOBS OVER SEA'S OR ONLINE THAT WE SHOULD HELP OURSELVES. MCCAIN'S PLAN IS ALL WRONG WITH THE CURRENT SITUATION WITH THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. I'LL BET ON OBAMA.

Posted by: LARRY | June 25, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

WE'LL THESE ARE THE ONLY PLACES WHERE MCCAIN CAN TALK OPENLY AND FREELY ABOUT FREE TRADE. WHICH SHOULD BE PROOF TO THOSE WHO LOST THEIR JOBS TO FREE TRADE DEALS. MCCAIN TOUTS AROUND HOW MUCH HE'S FOR FREE TRADE THEN COMES BACK TO US SOIL AND PANDERS WE NEED TO CREATE MORE JOBS. SMILING AND CHEEZING WHICH BENEFITED AT THE CONSEQUENCES OF AMERICANS WORKERS WHO LOST THEIR JOBS AND PROBERLY EVERYTHING ELSE WOULDN'T WIN MY VOTE NO MATTER WHAT HE PANDERS. MCCAIN CAN'T BE TRUSTED. IS HE EVEN CONCERNED ABOUT THE WORKERS IN AMERICA. ALL I HEAR FROM MCCAIN IS THE PEOPLE IN IRAQ, AND THE IRAQI GOVERNMENT AND GOING TO FOREIGN COUNTRIES TOUTING ALL THE THINGS THAT HAS HURT OUR ECONOMY AND THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. IT MAKES ME WONDER WHO'S PRESIDENT WILL MCCAIN BE? IN A TIME WERE AMERICANS NEED A LEADER TO MOVE US INTO A DIFFERENT DIRECTION AND A MORE STABLE ECONOMY. I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT MCCAIN IS THINKING. HE'S DEFINATELY NOT THINKING ABOUT THE AMERICANS THAT ARE IN NEED MORE THAN EVER. WE'LL I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF MCCAIN WENT TO CHINA AND ASKED THEM HOW THEIR DOING WITH ALL OF THE JOBS THIS ADMINISTRATION SHIPPED OVER TO THEM. MCCAIN IS OUT OF TOUCH WITH THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AND THEIR NEEDS.

Posted by: BRENDA | June 25, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

VISIT WWW.POLITICALINSIDER.NET FOR ALL THE LATEST POLITICAL NEWS AND OPINION. THE POLITICAL INSIDER INCLUDES A BLOG, VIDEOS,POLLS, ONLINE SURVEY, ELECTION RESULTS, POLITICAL CARTOONS, WEB SHOW, MONEY IN POLITCS AND MUCH MORE

WWW.POLITICALINSIDER.NET

PS: PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO THE POLITICAL INSIDER FOR FREE. IT ONLY TAKES THIRTY SECONDS!

Posted by: www.politicalinsider.net | June 24, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

While Mccain is jerking off Obama is busy. Does Mccain even have a campaign going on? When does be plan on starting? Does anyone even want to campaign with him? Looks like no Republican even wants to be seen in the same room with him except for his buddy Joe L.

++++++++++++++
Join us this Saturday, June 28th, for a Unite for Change house meeting near you.

Obama supporters will be opening their homes and reaching out to Democrats who supported other candidates in the primary, as well as Independents and even Republicans who are hungry for change.

There are more than 3,000 events planned in all 50 states -- find a Unite for Change house meeting near you and RSVP today:

House meetings are a great way to get to know your fellow supporters and help build a united volunteer organization in neighborhoods all across the country.

It doesn't matter if you've been with us since the beginning or if you're just tuning into the process now -- our goal is to reach out to anyone who is tired of the politics of the past and looking for new solutions to the challenges we're facing.

Supporters like you have already signed up to host events and talk about the common values we share. All you need to do is show up on Saturday -- and maybe bring a friend or two.

Here's what some Unite for Change hosts and guests are saying about these events:

"This is the first time that I have ever hosted an event like this. I am inviting my friends and colleagues to the event. Many of us were Edwards and/or Clinton supporters but I want everyone to come together now and support Obama."

- Jessica in Florida

"For the last several weeks, I have been thinking of becoming a volunteer for Senator Obama's presidential campaign. When I read the announcement about Unite For Change Day, I thought it was an awesome opportunity to get involved.

"I am new to my town (been here just over 4 months). The event will give me an opportunity to meet other supporters in my new community."

- Loye in South Carolina

We'll provide event hosts with the materials and support they need, but these meetings can't happen without you.

Sign up now to attend a Unite for Change event in your area:

Over the past year, millions of Americans have gotten involved in this campaign.

By attending a Unite for Change house meeting, you can keep building that momentum all the way through November.

Jon

Jon Carson
National Field Director
Obama for America

Posted by: Anonymous | June 24, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

J McCain's going to Latin America to show his opposition to ''the scourge of drugs'' while his wife annually makes million$ from the sale of legally addicting drugs i.e. alcohol (?!). Nothing like the voice of ''Straight Talk'' to obfuscate an issue.

Posted by: sober | June 24, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

While I also am strongly in favor of Boosting our relations with Colombia, Costa Rica, Panama, and especially Peru;

STAY in Mexico with all the other corrupt Elitist Scum McAmnesty!

The Invasion is almost complete, you and Bush have betrayed us badly enough already!

Hasta la Vista TRAITOR!

Oops, make that Pendejo Cabrone! Comprende?

Posted by: SAINT---The | June 24, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Will the American taxpayer pay for this junket, too, like it did for the Iraq/Britain tour this Spring with his tumors, er, buddies Sens. Lindsay Graham and LIEberman? He had fundraisers in London (he said that portion of the trip was paid for by his campaign) but otherwise this "tour" was paid for by US. I guess Sen. McCain is only against "pork barrel" that goes to constituents, not to himself!

Posted by: straight talk my a** | June 24, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

The McCain World Tour continues....

With his poll numbers, it seems more prudent for him to be addressing actual voters, rather than those outside the country. Just a thought...

Posted by: Susan | June 24, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

The McCain World Tour continues....

Posted by: Susan | June 24, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

McCain says "I'll do anything to change the discussion from the economy to foreign relations."

Visit an urban area? McCain says "why no, like Spiro Agnew said, seen one, seen them all."

Posted by: G8tr | June 24, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Going to help continue the Republican drug trade to help with their oil wars?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 24, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse