Next on the GOP List: Eric Holder

Updated 11:40 p.m.
By Jonathan Weisman
Like sharks sensing blood in the water, conservatives who helped press the case against James A. Johnson, formerly the head of Barack Obama's vice presidential vetting committee, are bearing down on their next target: former deputy attorney general Eric Holder.

Holder, one of two remaining members of Obama's vice presidential search committee, was always expected to be a lightning rod. As Bill Clinton's deputy attorney general, he was the gatekeeper for presidential pardons. Most famously, he waved through the pardon for fugitive financier Marc Rich in the waning days of the Clinton White House. But Republicans -- through the Republican National Committee, conservative media outlets like the Wall Street Journal editorial page and aggressive freelance operators -- are spreading their net wider. One target of opportunity: Clinton's pardon of 16 Puerto Rican nationalists (or terrorists, depending on your perspective) linked to the FALN, the Spanish acronym for the Armed Forces of National Liberation.

"Will Obama Vet Holder?" goaded the RNC this morning.

"Eric Holder (Covington & Burling) is defending UBS Financial Services in a discriminatory employment practices matter against African Americans," an e-mailed missive from a freelancer warned this morning, not mentioning Phil Gramm, a senior executive at UBS and top John McCain adviser.

"Caroline Kennedy, the other member of Mr. Obama's veep vetting team, has probably already inherited a stack of files from Mr. Johnson. She might want to take a peek at Mr. Holder's too," noted the Wall Street Journal editorial page this morning.

By Web Politics Editor  |  June 12, 2008; 11:02 AM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Lady Vanishes
Next: McCain's Tax Plan Aids Wealthy, Says Group

Comments

d9qoa0335tf555x3 http://www.611435.com/357718.html > wlo70qa9xx9nh [URL=http://www.531156.com/444781.html] 2jx1uusuycy [/URL] dwvjtij6mcyep

Posted by: 89rrlt8s64 | June 18, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I hope that Obama gets rid of Eric Holder.

He is an unfortunate vestige of the Clinton Administration and, he is bad news.

If Obama wants change, he needs to not rely on the old guard of the Democratic machine.

He needs to employ new people to run his campaign and, if he is successful, his administration.

Posted by: Molonlabe28 | June 16, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who want to boycott Weisman, pleaase start now (don't come back)!

Posted by: Myshiba | June 16, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Conservatives sought Johnson's head?

Obama has inflamed and rallied the mob against the Lenders and the Jewelers, yet it's the Conservatives who lit the fires that consumed Johnson?

Posted by: apetrelli | June 16, 2008 1:39 AM | Report abuse

Strange how WaPo now makes a bigger issue out of bringing up Holder's questionable deeds than WaPo ever made of the deeds at the time Holder and Clinton pulled them off. Think how many months WaPo and other MSM outlets spent on Bush missing National Guard meetings than the do on worse deeds by Obama and Democrats. It's not Bush or Dems that need to be condemned for falling down on the job, though... it's the MSM simply making no pretense of "objective journalism" anymore. The MSM needs to castigate itself, not others.

Posted by: Poster2 | June 15, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Least surprising "news" of the century: Liberals like Jonathan Weisman from liberal outlets like the Washington Post defending liberals like Eric Holder and predictably doing so while claiming Weisman's sainted hero Holder is the victim of "sharks"/"conservatives" (the liberal Weisman's words) and "conservative media outlets". Snooooze ...........

Posted by: Tom | June 15, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I think Obama's father was an African-Arab (Moor) Muslim who wrote socialist papers.
Obama's no socialist or Muslim, as far as I can tell though.

Posted by: James | June 13, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

So Obama's corrupt and Ruthless, and so is McCain. He says he represents the people but is in the same pockets. McCain's no worse. He's not even trying, cuz it's a setup. Obama's coffers are full of money from "the other employees" of lobbyist companies. The only thing holding him up is lots of money, media games, and how terrible McCain is.
When the man comes a 'calling, at least I won't say I voted for either, since we all know both are corrupt, and none of us know which one will be worse.

Posted by: James | June 13, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

To all who scream about Obama's lack of experiece, consider this: There are 100s of years of collective "experience" operating on Capitol Hill, in the White House, and on the Supreme Court. And where are we? In a multi-billion dollar (and counting) war that has destroyed Iraq, murdered hundreds of thousands of civilians, 4000+ American troops dead and many more maimed, an economy in shellshock; a Constitution in tatters,a shattered image at home and abroad, an inability to handle national emergencies (Katrina); voter fraud, corporate rape, etc., etc., etc. All of this so-called experience has produced a constipated and frightened Legislature, an arrogant Judiciary and a psychotic Executive. If this is experience, give me a 143-day rookie any day!

Posted by: inflamare | June 12, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

"obiewan: I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that Jimmy Carter would out poll Reagon, Bush, or Baby bush today!"

Bush I, maybe. Bush II, maybe. Reagan, you're dreaming. Reagan cleaned his clock in 80 and consistently outranks him in polls:

Posted by: politicohispanico | June 12, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey, why don't we ever get any DETAILED history on Obama's father? Notice how he conveniently leaves him out of his biographical history other than just a few quick references? What's up with that? Something stinks in Denmark here.
Posted by: obiewan | June 12, 2008 3:08 PM
----------------------------------
If you want to learn about Barack Obama's father, why don't you read "Dreams From My Father."?????

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

to Sboyd18, are You using more then one nick name???
Stop attacking me, and get real. Most people on this forum have no problem with my english. After all I am very proud what I accomplish in my life. American people are mostly tolerant, so try, it my help You undesrstand what I meen. Have shot of Whiskey it my help You to relax...

Posted by: Mandi08 | June 12, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

oldfriend: Your a typical igignorant Hypublicrit. Bill Clinton was not running for President, Hillary was!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

McSame has 50 years of experience in being a Hypublicrit and doing those things detrimental to this country. Harding, Cooledge, Hoover, Nixon Reagon Bush & Bush all had McSames kind of experience.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Rick Ewing:

Your errors are typical for a liberal. First, John's wife did finally release her tax returns. Second, Bill Clinton was running for President, Cindy is not. Thirdly the word is spelled SCREAM.

Posted by: AnOldFriend | June 12, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

143 Days. That's the level of experience B. Hussein Obama has on the federal level. 143 days. Really want to elect someone with 143 days of experience to the most important position in the world? 143 days TOTAL federal experience. Most people have shoes older than the experience B. Hussein Obama has working with the federal government. Just because you say you can do something, doesn't mean you have the experience to do it. If it were that way, we'd have a lot of recent college grads running fortune 500 companies. 143 Days.

Posted by: SHRKB8 | June 12, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

to June... do You think, that Your English is good?, many here of born American making mistakes, just as I do, so be fair if You can.
Just try to understand, that not all people in this great country, have chance to have higher education, does not mean that You know more then I. Dont try to put me down, stop beying a such an ignorant and try to be niece. After all , You dont have to read my opinions. It is You choice....

Posted by: Mandi08 | June 12, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

obiewan....
----------------------------------
One thing for sure, "Dude", GW Bush will not be receiving the Nobel Peace Prize. And John McCain plans to continue the failed Bush Doctrine of preemptive war, tax cuts for the wealthy, no regulation on ANYTHING, and privatization of EVERYTHING.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

All you have to do to buy off McSame is send the check to his wife. She won't devulge her taxes and the press won't screem for them like they did for Bill Clintons. Can you say "double standerd in the press for Hypublicrits." Just because the Hypublicrits give a press conference on a BS point the media don't have to bite every time.

Posted by: Rick Ewing | June 12, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I truly believe, that someone is spying on US, my proof is; I wrote to Mr.Arlen Specter, Member of Senat , whos cancer retur again, and I wish Him speedy retur to healt. As Independent Democrat, I truly respect this man. I wrote to Mr.Specter about my jurney from another country a very long time ego. Someone as ____"Sboyd18"___ was questioning my escape to USA,witch I didn escape. basicly uccusing me for braking the law. I responded, but ___"Sboyd18"___ vanished. I believe that we are bying spied on this forum, as I wrote on this forum, because people start having problems with their Internet, and they are accusin Obamas stuff for that. Now I believe, that it must be a truth. If their not Obamas people, then who???
So, how come this person know, that I am from some were else. I didnt wrote about on this forum??? After all, we all came from some were or OUR grand paretnts, parents... it is a fact, just like Obama...
Any comment???

Posted by: Mandi08 | June 12, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Obama's clean break with Johnson was good, but DOES need to vet the vetters to some degree. Obama needs to learn from this kerfuffle right now. He benefits because it's early in the race.

Running against HRC might have been tough. Running against the cowardly and unprincipled GOP wind-machine is an order of magnitude greater.

Posted by: Roofelstoon | June 12, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

When are the Obama people or the DNC of some group of Democrats take Phil Graham who was the man behinf the Enron debacle and the person who submitted legislation that allowed the financial institutions to regulate themselves and bring down Bear Sterns and brought foreclosures to record numbers and climbing oh and by the way he works for UBS. Is he asking the US Fed to bail out a Swiss bank? I wouldn't doubt it nor would I doubt McBush approving it.

Posted by: Robert Siefert | June 12, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: obiewan | June 12, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joyce | June 12, 2008 2:54 PM
The REAL criminal we should be talking about is the one John McCain embraces...GEORGE W BUSH, the man responsible for thousands of deaths and injuries in the name of GREED.
=================================================================

Dude, this is getting old REAL QUICK. I have a news flash for you.... GEORGE BUSH ISN'T THE NOMINEE!!! If McCain is a Bush third term then Obama is a JIMMY CARTER SECOND TERM!!! Guess which one I would take in a NY minute? A Bush third term. The fact is McCain is about as far from Bush as a Republican can get and still be called a Republican. Now Obama is about as far as a liberal can get and still be called a Democrat instead of a socialist or Marxist. When was the last die hard liberal elected president?

Posted by: obiewan | June 12, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

The real purpose of Christianty is for one to honestly look at themselves, challenge their feelings/flesh, and be honest. But we Americans are just plain lazy and too stupid to think for ourselves. We let the TV folks stupid us down. We let Jerry Springer and Reality TV dull our minds. All the time our little Rome is burning and we are no better off, worse, than we were 8 years ago. Now that is the brutaland honest fact. If you are not going to vote for someone, for whatever reason, it's your choice. Some people we/I just dont like, period. I do not like the BOSTON CELTICS, but I've always loved their players. I HOPE THEY LOSE! I'm honest about it. So why do we, in a political race, seek to destroy the other candidate with lies, half truths, and very lttle truth. Dont vote for Obama if you dont like him (Celtics), but to play the Islamic card, the wife un American charge, the he lied on Hillary (he just ran a better campaign), whatever, is JUST PLAIN AMERICAN stupid. He is the best of whats left whether we like it or not. Romny-Morman, Hillary--a Clinton, Huckabee--not known, no money, McCain--his own party cant stand his guts, nore does the Christian Right. So all thats left is ths Black newby with a funny name; but is smart and slick as hell. he nows how to motivate,organize, and build coalitions. My degree tells me that those are charictaristics of Leadership. Perfect? not at all; but he is the best we have whether you and i like it or not.

Posted by: walterrock | June 12, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joyce | June 12, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

For a thorough analysis of the Marc Rich pardon see the article by Peter Slevin in the Washington Post of 2001 here:

Also from 2001 an interview with varied members of Congress and Eric Holder on the Marc Rich pardon on PBS at:

It doesn't take a lot of work to find this information but I would rather see this than the uninformed opinions of a rather angry group who post here as well as on other message boards. This kind of commentary is quite disturbing for many reasons. One clear point made in the Post piece is the culpability of President Clinton.

Posted by: Jordan Davies | June 12, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I give Holder until Monday before he is thrown under the bus. This is just too rich (pun intended!) to see him have to sacrifice another of his minions on the Obama political alter.

Posted by: obiewan | June 12, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Mandi08...If you're going to post on here, at least learn English.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Hate-mongering. How sophisticated. After reading this story, and what it reflects of the new campaign mentality, think I'd rather spend the Winter in Gaza.

Posted by: JMFulton, Jr. | June 12, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

And the media lackeys, lead by the Post, just can't wait to lap up whatever's thrown their way by Republican operatives, meanwhile, giving McCain a pass.

It's deja vu. it's the same approach that sank nobel prize winner Al Gore and put Bush in the white house, twice.

Here's an idea, Post "reporters": do your job, show a little skepticism.

Posted by: monk | June 12, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ben Matheny | June 12, 2008 2:42 PM
=======================================================================

.... and this is why I call you an Obamabot. You have no opinion other than the one Lord Obama gives to you. Obama might be the largest ever cult leader in the free world.

Posted by: o | June 12, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

aspergirl...Maybe your narrow, little, xenophobic mind will be soothed by this. Probably not - you've made a career of bearing false witness against Obama. Anyway, for the rational posters, here it is - Obama's birth certificate:

www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/6/12/11012/6168

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Marc Rich's lawyer was....Scooter Libby. Remember him?

Posted by: Patrick | June 12, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Well, it looks like Lord Obama threw the wrong person under the bus. This guy makes Johnson look like a Boy Scout. Maybe we should be vetting OBAMA instead of all his appointments. After all, an organization rots from the head down, or so I have read.

Posted by: obiewan | June 12, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

The GOP is beyond desperate right now. We are going to bury them in November. They do not stand a chance. Obama supporters do not care what they dredge up. Nothing on earth will stop us from voting. America is fed up with Iraq and the Neo-Cons. Shows over. go home. or better yet move out of the US as you always say you will.

Posted by: Ben Matheny | June 12, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

why people blame Hillary, for Bill actions. She didnt pardon anyone, so were is the problem???
She is her own person, stop this nonsens!

Posted by: babalu123 | June 12, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walterrock | June 12, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

to Sbooyd 18...I didnt not escape. I have no reason, and I didnt still any job. I am very proud to be an American, and I fallow all rule of law , but not DNC member anymore, turn to be Independent Democrat.I care about this country, just as all true Americans, probably more then You are. I love this Country. You,full of hate and cynism, schame on You You are not real American. You are taking this Contry for granted, not me. I fallow Constitution and I have nothing to be aschame of!!! I am a older person, and I know about life and politics more then You ever will. So, dodnt take on me, look at mirrow, and think about , what kind of person You are! Dont take on me, because You disagree with people like me. Look at the mirrow... judge Your self first!!!So long...

Posted by: mandi08 | June 12, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

you guys just pass the garbage along, just like you did with Johnson. What the f**k is up with Washington Post?!

You guys have a fix in?

Is this what you consider journalism now? Absolutely 9000% f**king garbage. You are a piece of s**t.

Posted by: BB | June 12, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Obama's a loser. Another under the bus. Maybe he'll throw himself soon.

Posted by: Lynn E | June 12, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Guess that wasn't the same guy Obama met 20 days ago...

Posted by: 5 dollar foot long | June 12, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

"Clinton's pardon of 16 Puerto Rican nationalists (or terrorists, depending on your perspective) linked to the FALN.."

The FALN claimed responsibility for the bombing of Fraunces Tavern in New York, in 1975. Four people were killed, and more than fifty wounded. Sounds like terrorism to me.

Posted by: Grillades | June 12, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

conservatives are foaming at the mouth. First they can't stand the very idea of a lack man as president. Never admit that even to themselves, but it is there. Second and more important - they know that many key players in their anti-American movement could very well end up in prison when Obama takes office. So, they are resorting to the hyper-shrill politics of destruction engineered by nixon/atwater, and brought to an earsplitting and vile crescendo by bush/rove.

Posted by: Brandon | June 12, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

AsperGirl ...

That Carly Fiorina thing. She's not all what you might want to believe.

I spend a lot of time with HP folks and they are incredibly negative on her. Both men and women. As a leader at HP, she'll claim a lot of credit. But the breadth of people that have little respect for her is pretty remarkable.

Posted by: AL | June 12, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Now who owns the WSJ? Good old Ruppert Murdock. The same person that owns FOX and the media outlet that carries Rush Limbaugh. And our worst predictions have come true. He is using his latest media purchase to legitimize right wing political mudslinging. Look for further articles from the WSJ that mention only democrats with political conflicts of interest during the campaign. How do you mention Holders connections without mentioning the person the works for the company that Holder is defending, Graham who is on McCain's staff? The republicans our counting on our laziness and ignorance this election once again.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

No one should give a crap about these "issues," and very few people do. The only ones who care are the flunkies floating these stories, and the news media who perpetuate them. Give me a break--it is a sign of the GOP's weakness that they have to dig into the backgrounds of members of Obama's VP vetting committee to get some dirt. The other "dirt" that Obama's adversaries have tried to use didn't gain any traction--because, again, no one cares about this b.s.--so they are trying every last avenue to make a dent.

Posted by: Joe | June 12, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I love this! This is great! If this continues, which I hope it does, by November both campaigns will be thoroughly cleansed.

Posted by: politicohispanico | June 12, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

if nobody cares, why are there so many posts to this article? if it's a waste of space article, why bother to read it, and then comment on it in a post.

Posted by: hello | June 12, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Here, all sourced by Media Matters, are some of the characters from McCain's campaign. I assume the Washington Post will be asking a question about them next:

* Wayne Berman, national finance committee co-chairman and "senior adviser," according to a February 7 New York Times article. Berman is a lobbyist and the managing director of government relations at Ogilvy Government Relations. A January 25 Wall Street Journal article (subscription required) described Berman as a "longtime lobbyist for companies in the financial industry" whose clients include the "Carlyle Group and Citigroup."

* Former Rep. Thomas Loeffler (R-TX), campaign co-chairman and national finance committee co-chairman. Loeffler is a lobbyist and founder of The Loeffler Group. According to Shear and Birnbaum, he is "McCain's top fundraising official." The Houston Chronicle reported on April 30, 2007, that Loeffler has "built a multimillion-dollar lobbying operation" with clients that have "included AT&T, the National Association of Broadcasters, the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, the Port of Houston, Southwest Airlines and Toyota Motor Co. Loeffler's firm also has represented the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on trade issues." ... A February 8 Politico article reported that Loeffler's "lobbying firm has made millions inserting earmarks into spending bills."

* Former Rep. James A. Courter (R-NJ), national finance committee co-chairman. Courter is the chief executive officer of the telecommunications firm IDT. He was previously a lobbyist for Verner, Liipfert, Bernhard, McPherson and Hand from 1998 to 2001. His clients included Merrill Lynch, NBC, Lockheed Martin, Microsoft, Goldman Sachs, and SBC Communications.

* Richard Davis, campaign manager. A July 11, 2007, Politico article reported that Davis, who also served as McCain's campaign manager in 2000, "founded a lobbying firm -- Davis Manafort Inc. -- which has made at least $2.8 million lobbying Congress since 1998." According to disclosure reports filed with Congress, Davis registered to lobby from 1998 to 2005 for Davis Manafort. A March 2000 report by the Center for Public Integrity noted that Davis represented two telecommunication companies, COMSAT and SBC Communication Inc., that "had major (and controversial) mergers pending before the Federal Communications Commission in 1999, and both mergers were approved (the Commerce Committee has legislative oversight authority, and therefore quite a bit of political influence, over the FCC)." The February 3, 2007, National Journal article reported that "Davis, a longtime lobbyist and financial consultant," is "on leave" from Davis Manafort to work for McCain's campaign.

* Christian Ferry, deputy campaign manager. Ferry previously worked as a lobbyist for Davis Manafort from 2003 to 2005. His clients included SBC Communications and Verizon Communication Inc.

* Charles R. Black Jr., "chief political adviser," according to the Post's Shear and Birnbaum. Black is a lobbyist and chairman of BKSH & Associates. According to the Post's Shear and Birnbaum, even while working for McCain, Black has continued to work as "chairman of one of Washington's lobbying powerhouses" and even "does a lot of his work by telephone from McCain's Straight Talk Express bus." The Post also reported that Black's current clients include "General Motors, United Technologies, JPMorgan and AT&T."

* David Crane, "senior policy adviser," according to the Huffington Post's Edsall. Crane is a lobbyist and president of Quadripoint Strategies. According to his official biography, Crane "served as a senior policy advisor" to McCain on the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. He previously worked as a lobbyist and senior vice president for Global USA and The Washington Group. His clients have included Bank of America, the Financial Services Roundtable, and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

* Robert Aiken, "occasional" adviser, according to a December 31, 2007, Washington Post article. Aiken works as a lobbyist and vice president for Pinnacle West Capital Corp.

* John Green, "occasional" adviser, according to the December 31, 2007, Post article. Green is a co-founder and lobbyist for Ogilvy Government Relations. His clients have included Bell South, the National Rifle Association, and the U.S. Telecom Association.

* John Timmons, "occasional" adviser, according to the December 31, 2007, Post article. Timmons is lobbyist and founding partner for the Cormac Group and, as of mid-year 2007, a lobbyist for Time Warner. He was previously McCain's legislative director. His clients have included AT&T, the Association of American Railroads, and the National Association of Broadcasters.

* Timothy McKone, "occasional" adviser, according to the December 31, 2007, Post article. McKone is an executive vice president of AT&T. He previously worked as lobbyist for Davis Manafort in 1998 and 1999, and for AT&T starting in 1998, with his last federal disclosure report filed in 2006.

* Carlos Bonilla, economic policy adviser. Bonilla is a lobbyist and senior vice president for The Washington Group. His clients have included Freddie Mac, Time Warner, Motorola, and the National Cable & Telecommunications Association.

* Aquiles Suarez, economic policy adviser. Suarez was last registered to lobby in mid-year 2007 for the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties, where he is a vice president for government affairs. He was a lobbyist for Fannie Mae from 2003 to 2006, where he was also the director for government and industry relations.

* Grant Aldonas, economic policy adviser. Aldonas is managing director for Split Rock International, where he lobbied for Mittal Steel USA in 2006.

* Nancy Mitchell Pfotenhauer, economic policy adviser. Pfotenhauer was a lobbyist for Koch Industries in 2001. She is the former president of the Independent Women's Forum.

* James F. Rill, economic policy adviser. Rill was a lobbyist and senior partner for Collier, Shannon, Rill & Scott from 1998 to 2000. He is currently a partner at Howrey LLP. His clients have included the Smokeless Tobacco Council, and Intel.

* Anthony Villamil, economic policy adviser. Villamil was a lobbyist in 2002 for the Washington Economics Group, where he is also the chief executive officer. His client was the Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG), an energy and energy services company.

* Joseph Wright, economic policy adviser. Wright was a lobbyist, and chief executive officer, for PanAmSat, a satellite service provider, from 2002 to 2006. After an acquisition, he became Chairman of the Board of Intelsat.

* Former Sen. Phil Gramm (TX), campaign co-chairman. Gramm is the vice chairman of UBS Securities, and was last registered to lobby for the bank in mid-year 2007.

* Former Sen. Slade Gorton (WA), honorary chairman for Washington state. He is a lobbyist for Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Preston Gates Ellis. A March 26, 2003, Hill article (retrieved from Nexis) named Gorton as one of the "top lobbyists" in Washington, D.C. His clients have included T-Mobile, the Air Transport Association of America, Microsoft, and Delta Airlines.

* Former Rep. Matt Salmon (AZ), state co-chairman for Arizona. Salmon is the president of the D.C.-based trade association COMPTEL, and worked as a lobbyist for Greenberg Traurig until the end of 2007, when he left the firm. According to a September 29, 2002, Time magazine article, Salmon also previously worked as a "six-figure" lobbyist for Qwest Communications.

* Former Gov. Don Sundquist (TN), state co-chairman for Tennessee. Sundquist is a lobbyist for Sundquist Anthony, a firm he co-founded. His clients have included Freddie Mac, The Hartford, and Waste Management.

* Former Rep. William 'Van' Hilleary (TN), state co-chairman for Tennessee. Hilleary is a lobbyist for Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal. His clients have included: SMS Holding, AmSurg, and Militec.

* Former Rep. Richard Zimmer (NJ), honorary vice chairman for New Jersey. Zimmer is a lobbyist for Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. His clients have included: Network Solutions, the Business Roundtable, and T-Mobile.

You woudl think that with all these characters, the Washington Post would find one stinking lousy filthy character in the McCain campaign to talk about, but hell no, that might hurt the chances of their dottering feeble-minded septuagenarian who can't tell a Shia from Shinola.

Posted by: trippin | June 12, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Just good old GOP tactics--trying to pander to the stupid voters that cannot understand real issues.

Posted by: jlm062002 | June 12, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Obama knew very well about pass of those guys. It is another Obama" explanation" I did not know this about those man, "I didn not know, that thay have a such terrible pass", how We know about

Posted by: Mandi08 | June 12, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Eric Holder will be the next one thrown under the bus by Obama. Must be pretty crowded under there. Barry will probably need a bigger bus.

Posted by: Jack Straw | June 12, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Republicans are desperate. They will keep playing the six degrees to Obama game until november if it means not having to address the issues. We as voters have to be smart enough to see through it and remember what this election is REALLY about. And it aint about Obama's VP selection team connections. We knew this was all the republicants would do because they are weak. Get ready for the tabloid like antics all the way to November. If we fall for this crap I guess the GOP will be seeking an investigations on Obama by convention time.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

What did we expect? Like the GOP is going to attack Obama for his positions on health care, Iraq, the economy, taxes, the environment? Please, McCain, bring it on! As long as the GOP attacks Obama's patriotism, his half-blackness, his terrorist handshakes, his wife, and his VP vetting team, Americans will soon figure out the GOP, as usual, has nothing to offer but fear. This isn't 2004, and Americans, at least sensible ones, are not craping their pants in fear any longer -- except for some of the macho right wing nutjobs that post here. You clowns can now change your diapers before resuming worship of Dear Leader Bush.

Posted by: Vincent F | June 12, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Obama's new "fight the smears" website now pushing campaign misinformation. It's a whole new disingenuously oblique approach to Obama's denial of his ethnicity and childhood religion.

Obama's still trying to combat and cover up the information that he was registered as a Muslim in his Catholic school as a child, that he attended Muslim classes as a child and that his ethnicity is that of African Arab.

Obama registered as a "Muslim" in the Catholic school he attended as a child in Indonesia. The children who were registered as "Muslim" attended Muslim-focused classes and the children who were registered as "Christian" attended Christian-focused classes. In his own book, he describes how he got in trouble in his "Koranic studies" class for making faces during class. Yet Obama continues to deny that he and his parents elected to identify him as "Muslim" as a child.

Instead of simply answering the questions about why he was registered as being "Muslim" in the Catholic school he attended as a child in Indonesia, and why his book explains that he was in "Koranic studies" if he wasn't registered as a Muslim there, the campaign puts up a disingenuous, cleverly-worded "smear" description on its website: "LIE: Barack Obama attended a radical madrassa". Why don't you answer the FACT of your status at that school in Indonesia, instead of just answering the narrowly-worded "LIE" you posted?

And why does Obama still refuse to provide a copy of his birth certificate? -- Because he is identified on that birth certificate as being Arab, since his father was an African Arab. There are many ethnicities in Africa, ranging from the black Jews of Ethiopia to the black Arabs of the Sudan who are committing genocide against non-Arab Africans of Darfour. Obama's father was identified as "Arab" in his Kenyan birth records and Obama's identified as an "Arab" on his own, with "Muslim" as the religion.

Instead of these clever, inane and narrowly-worded "Anti-Smear" websites, why doesn't Obama provide his birth certificate, explain why he was registered as a "Muslim" in school as a child, and why he was taking "Koranic studies", if he was never a Muslim. And why doesn't he admit his ethnicity is "African Arab"? The little real investigative reporting that has been done on the subject has clearly not supported the faux stories the Obama campaign has been pushing.

LA TImes Story on Facts About Obama's Religion in Childhood
(http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/bal-te.obama16mar16,1,7181735,full.story)

And finally, the problem I have with all of this is not what ethnicity or childhood religion Obama has. The problem I have is with a man who is running for President who consistently covers up and evades disclosure about who he is and the kind of people he has spent his adult life hanging around with, in order to be more popular.

Posted by: AsperGirl | June 12, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

On the one hand, Obama should stand his ground about Eric Holder, who was just a government flunky relative to Marc Rich. He didn't pardon the man or advocate for him. On the other, this is why HRC could NOT be the democratic nominee. Obama didn't have ANYTHING to do with these pardons, and the repukes are trying to tie him to them.

Posted by: Neve | June 12, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

To mandi08:

I can't believe they let you out so you must have escaped. Where do you get that nonsense from? Do you have ANY idea what you're talking about? I doubt it, so do us a favor: never, ever write or speak in public again.

Posted by: sboyd18 | June 12, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Allen Ridge...I trully believe, that You are right on money.I read most of articles, no metter who is writing them. Obama just opened His Web side, and is fighting all"RUMORS", with just prove, that those "RUMORS" are a true informations. So, how Obamas people feel now, after what they did to Hillary. She was right, REMEMBER???" if You cant stand the heat, then get You behind out"!!! Now we have an another great thought...
"STICK HAS TWO ENDS, TODAY YOU ARE HITTING SOMEONE, TOMORROW WILL BE YOU TURN, TO GET HIT" So it is Obama turn now!!!It is pay back time, or maybe is to late.... If Obama thinks that He is intangible, He is learning quickly, that it is untrue! Can You feel that pain???

Posted by: voter2008 | June 12, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Eric Holder is a convicted felon, which the corrupt reporter totally fails to mention.............sad
Posted by: Allen Ridge | June 12, 2008 1:56 PM
------------------------------------------
What crime was Holder convicted of?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I dont get it. Holder and Johnson were helping to pick a VP...not running for VP. Obama should not back down and should hit back ..HARD..on this republican B.S. All this stuff really shows is just how desperate the republischmucks really are this year.

Posted by: cmsatown | June 12, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

No matter how many "leg tingles" Chris Matthews of MSNBC gets when BO speaks, no matter how many women faint at BO rallies, or no matter how much the paid stooges at MSNBC praise BO he is a politician.
As such we can expect as much "change" as the special interests that run our parties will allow. Expect there to be death, disease,ignorance, poverty, crime, and war to still exist in 4 or 8 years of BO.
What you are seeing is the disrobing of the emperor and it will not be a pretty sight for the cultists of BO to see; they really thought he would rise above politics and bring change.
That would have been true if he chose Carl of Cleveland instead of Caroline of Kennedy. These and others are political insiders, no change here. Expect more of the same.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Mike makes a good point. Scooter Libby was Marc Rich's lawyer. I guess the GOPers can complain that Holder should not be fooled by GOPers again.

Posted by: Garak | June 12, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Correction, Eric Holden is the Obama vetter that submitted Marc Rich, the convicted felon, name to Bill Clinton for a pardon.

What I forget to mention is that after Bill Clinton pardoned this convicted felon Marc Rich donated $400,000 to the Clinton library.

And if we didn't have such a corrupt liberal wolfpack press "every American" would know the truth......this is really sad........

Posted by: Allen Ridge | June 12, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

since when Fashism is leftist, , what and absurd!!! Communism but not Fashism!!!
I dont believe that Fashism is what Republicans beying accuse. Some of leaders choose to support Fashism, that does not mean that Republicans are Fashists. Absurd .
The same is with Democratic Party, another absurd. Democrats are not a Comminists, but some are supporting Communism, and I do believe, that is the way, were Obama is turning, starting from spying on OUR inernet and blogs, his ideas. There is a big concern about, should someone investigate this metter??? WE have rights to schare ideas and opinions , to have very hot and sometime hateful conversations. Were we can turn this problem??? Who can help US investigate those "worms"??? Does Obama people start so soon fallowing Bush ideas on spuing on US???

Posted by: mandi08 | June 12, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Jonathan Weisman is a flamming liberal pro-Obama reporter, in case no one has noticed.

Mr. in-the-tank for Obama Weisman, if the most corrupt institution in America, our mostly corrupt liberal wolfpack press had done "their job" then they would have reported this. Why does our corrupt liberal press do investigations and report on them, that reflect poorly on the GOP and can't seem to do the same for their pals, the Democrats.

Why does the Washington Post, an Independent paper, continue to hire flamming liberals that are more loyal to their ideology and party instead of being a reporter and American first????

Folks that are tired of this obvious corruption should cancel their subscriptions to the Washington Post. It would also help the evironment, saving trees and gas.

Posted by: Allen Ridge | June 12, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

One of the very first posters wrote: "The Nazis were leftists, dillweed, not conservtives. Learn your political spectrum."

The above poster is a perfect example of what is WRONG with most Americans. They dont bother understanding even the BASICS of political history and knowledge.

Here's a little education for you meatball:

Scholars of fascism, including Griffin, Eatwell, Laqueuer, and Weber, are reluctant to call fascism simply a right-wing ideology. Yet in their lengthy discussions they observe that generally fascism and neo-fascism ally themselves with right-wing or conservative forces on the basis of racial nationalism, hatred of the communists, or simple expediency.

Doh.

Posted by: sean | June 12, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Typical NEO-CON thinking: Style over substance.

Is this ALL they've got?

THAT is the question the MSM should be asking!

What a joke!

Vote Obama for President!

Posted by: JBE | June 12, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"Another target is Carly Fiorina, the former chief executive of Hewlett Packard and a McCain economic spokeswoman, who received a $21 million severance package from HP, including "mortgage assistance" totaling $650,000."

Oh yeah. That's the ticket. Go after the woman executive who spend months battling the sexism of an old-guard, male-geek dominated, socially dysfunctional engineering products firm.

Carly Fiorina is practically an icon of woman-executive-bashing victims. The Obama campaign will really do themselves a favor by targeting and attacking Fiorina right now. Maybe Obama camp can trot out the same sexist memes and hip hop paradigms for use against Fiorina that they used against Clinton before they get too stale.

Posted by: AsperGirl | June 12, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Stupidest comment of the day - what are you talking about it? Leftists whose main fear was Communist Russia? Buddy get a clue and figure out the political spectrum yourself. The Nazis were about as much leftists as the Social Democratic Party of East Germany. I guess because they have Democratic in their name makes them Leftists?
God, you and the rest of your right-wing buddies are idiots.
Posted by: Jeff M. | June 12, 2008 1:42 PM
____________________________________

Two "EDUCATED" aholes conversing with each other hey dillweed and Jeff M.
Ya'll got the Harvard MBA?

Posted by: harried | June 12, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

two words: "Keating Five"

Posted by: WDC | June 12, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

This is ridiculous -- a little reality check please? McCain's campaign is run by Charles Black, lobbyist to repressive dictators around the world. His chief strategist is Rick Davis, lobbyist extraordinary. His chief economic advisor is Phil Gramm, VP of government relations of UBS "no private bankers travelling to U.S. because of arrest on sight orders" Bank. His chief VP vetter is A.B. Culvahouse, Reagan's White House Counsel during Iran-Contra, who selected Bork, and who represented Jeff Skilling of Enron and lobbied for Fannie Mae after its accounting meltdown and Lockheed Martin on defense contracts. Get real, please.

Posted by: Pied Piper | June 12, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Rumor has it that if elected, he is considering Jimmy Carter for Sec. of Defense.

Posted by: ziggy1 | June 12, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

To the person who's 1:36 PM post claims that the Nazi party was a left leaning organization:

You are joking aren't you? The Nazis were about as right wing as it gets. Remember that the Nazi Brown Shirts used to fight in the street with the Communists, who were decidely left wing. And Hitler wanted to wipe the Russian Communists of the map. It was a classic struggle between right and left. It is YOU who should get the facts straight.

Posted by: Lefty | June 12, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

We dont have to support Mr.Weismen, but He has all right to write, what He believe in, just like US. So if anyone can not take "maybe" truth about Obama and His stuff, then You dont have to read.

Posted by: mandi08 | June 12, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

God, you and the rest of your right-wing buddies are idiots.

Posted by: Jeff M. | June 12, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Another moron who thinks "Oh look, the name of the party includes the word Socialists. So they must be leftists!"

Nice try, brainiac, but no.

Posted by: Spectator2 | June 12, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

No, sorry. Fascism is an offshoot of the extreme right. Maybe your parents should have let you go to the library between home-schooling sessions.

Posted by: whatmeregister | June 12, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Whats the word on why Obama won't release his birth certificate? Don't some certificates indicate religion?

Posted by: Ziggy1 | June 12, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Yesterday Sen. McCain made an interesting speech. He said that Sen. Obama is a typical Democrat of Tax & Spend. He ended his speech and said that Democrats are synonymous with pork barrel spending. He noted that they packed in that bridge to now where.

I have news for Sen. McCain, that bridge to now where was in Alaska and stuffed in a bill for Iraq spending. The pork barrel was done by Sen. Ted Steven (a Republican being investigated by the FBI), then head of Ways & Means.

I think either Sen. McCain has amnesia or those Reagan lapses of reality from his movie making era.

Posted by: Interesting Speech | June 12, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

If you think Obama is a do-nothing, it's because you don't know what you're talking about. Read this:

Posted by: Super90 | June 12, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

A boycott of Weismann - stellar idea!
Maybe this should extend that to any WaPo writer of utter gibberish - e.g., Krauthaummer, Broder, and Hiatt.
Consider me gone, Jon.
Posted by: Rel38 | June 12, 2008 1:21 PM
_____________________________________
It hard to believe that some of you actually read the "ARTICLE"!
I would not read a WaPo article at gunpoint. I just tune in to the "JERRY SPRINGER" crap flinging comment boards!

Posted by: harried | June 12, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

McCain is an old politician. Obama , in 3 years turn to be more dirty politician then anyone.
Obama is spying blogs and blocking blogs, spying internet , blocking connections to Internet,. So He is allready doing what BUSH is doing for last 7 years. So, can anyone tell me, what will be next for Obama. Stop Constitution, freedom of speach, and more!!! President of Venezuela, was trying to make a law, and pushing His own people to spy on their neighbors, is this next Obama step in USA???

Posted by: mandi08 | June 12, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Thanks GOP, you are showing America just how desperate you truly are to hold onto power. Sorry, but the Nazis had their last day and so will you.

Posted by: I hate the GOP | June 12, 2008 12:37 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Look! You could report on THIS instead of making up more idiotic BS: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/12/obama-campaign-builds-rumor-debunking-site/index.html?hp

Posted by: mobedda | June 12, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm in for the Jon Weisman boycott. We should extend it to any WaPo journalist that wastes our time regurgitating recycled RNC propaganda. "Did you hear that Obama fathered 2 black children?" "Omigod!"

Posted by: EricBinVT | June 12, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Typical Republican sleaze campaign tactics. Hopefully the American people realize what is happening. McSame's claim of "change" is as hollow as his conversion to the right wing of the Republican party and his newfound empathy with evangelicals, not to mention his pledge to veto his own bill on immigration and packing his campaaign staff with lobbyists. I can understand how the 28% that still back GW will vote for McSame but why would anyone else?

Posted by: Lefty | June 12, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey Mobedda are ya'll mobedda than yo momma? If yo hole be smaller dan de holland tunnel den ya'll be mobedda!

Mobedda ya'll be one stupid pile of misquito crap, heah?

Posted by: harried | June 12, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I thought Obama was all about change. It looks like he is surounding himself with a bunch of old political hacks!

Posted by: john | June 12, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

After this article, Weisman is done for me as well.

Add me to the boycott list.

Posted by: Tim | June 12, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey "veritas": Will you be intelligent enough to spell by November?
Posted by: mobedda | June 12, 2008 1:17 PM
___________________________________

The way some "INTELLECTS" measure intelligence defy thought!
Spelling is no reflection of brains kid, it's a simple matter of being taught that her with a t does not make hert, only AHOLES know how to hurt!

Posted by: harried | June 12, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Carly Fiorina repackaged Apple's iPod as the 'Apple iPod by Hewlett Packard' and packed her bank account as the company tanked.

Phil Gramm and his lobbying for UBS are responsible for the subprime meltdown.

And they're still there...on McCain's campaign.

Posted by: kravitz | June 12, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

A boycott of Weismann - stellar idea!

Consider me gone, Jon.

Posted by: Rel38 | June 12, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

So is the post just, like, reprinting Republican talking points now? What do you guys charge for that?

Posted by: joe | June 12, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who does not think that advisors are important is obviously not from DC. Come on people. We know better. We know that offices are run by the staff- they are the gatekeepers of information and many times make a majority of the decisions. This is not an R thing, this is not a D thing-- it is just the way it is. There are too many issues for the politician to worry about the details, they must count on advisors. And since Obama refuses to listen to lobbyists who know about the issues, his staff will be in overdrive.
Who you have around you matters and it should be news. To those who think it does not-- stop whining about Karl Rove...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Now that Hillary is history, the rich old white guys, aided and abetted by the MSM, go after Obama. I'm surprised it took them this long.

Posted by: hihomoron | June 12, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I assuem Bobzen was being facetious -- at least I hope he is.

Posted by: Lars | June 12, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Too bad WaPo fired all their reporters. Without them, all they can do is pass along desperate GOP tactics over, and over, and over, and over, and over....

How about some NEWS?!?

Posted by: mobedda | June 12, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

@veritas: Obama will indeed be "loose" in November, but he won't lose.

@aspergirl: I recall McCain running on being a different Maverick and not beholden to lobbyists, so your inane rationalization is wrong.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Listen, Jonathan Weisman doesn't care what you write here. He probably doesn't read any of these comments. All he cares about is that you click on his column - that's how the Post generates its ad revenue.

So the answer is to stop reading anything he writes: boycott Jonathan Weisman. After this column, this is the last time he wastes my time.

Posted by: James | June 12, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey "veritas": Will you be intelligent enough to spell by November?

Posted by: mobedda | June 12, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

When did the WaPo become such a crap paper? did you get bought out by Rupert? this is getting ridiculous. if it wasnt for dan froomkin's column, i wouldnt ever go to this site.....there are others that i read, but too many douche bags (krauthammer, novak, broder, will) to make it worth it.

Posted by: Eric Basterrechea | June 12, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Janet does not realize who George Soros is..... maybe you should look into that.

Posted by: mk91 | June 12, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

this is why obama will loose in november...

Posted by: veritas | June 12, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

"Meanwhile, the Obama campaign is trying to scare up some sharks of its own. The target is John McCain's lead VP vetter, Arthur Culvahouse, a prominent Republican lawyer who has lobbied for Johnson's former company, Fannie Mae. His law firm, O'Melveny & Myers, has served an array of power players, from Exxon Mobil to the former Enron executive Jeffrey Skilling."

Yes, but McCain isn't running as an inexperienced, under-qualified candidate who is justifying his candidacy as bringing "change" to Washington, primarily in some alleged ability to create an Administration unburdened by "old politics", discriminatory and corporate "insiders" with "baggage".

The Obama campaign and its supporters screamed "baggage" and "insiders" at the Clintons so much you would have thought they were campaigning in Union Station inviting people to get on board the train to a new, unblemished Washington.

What a hypocrite. I hope they don't get away with trying to complain that McCain has insiders on his staff. McCain didn't run on promises of a baggage-free, anti-corporate "new politics."

Maybe Obama should be more clear about what "baggage", corporate ties, "new politics" mean, specifically.

Posted by: AsperGirl | June 12, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

My mortgage is upside down, gas here is $4.59, my unemployment has run out and we're spending billions in Iraq. I was going to vote for Obama, but dang, one of Obama's volunteers may have saved 75 basis points on a loan. I'm changing my vote. I want more of the above. Thank you WaPo for opening my eyes.

Posted by: bobzen | June 12, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Yada, yada, yada. This is the silly season in politics, the dog days of the campaign. Are the candidates now suppose to have perfect people around them? People in politics are like used car salesmen, sleezy! What do we expect. Yes, Senator Obama is trying to change that paradigm but HE IS NOT ELECTED YET!! He is relying on INSIDERS if you will to help him GET ELECTED. What other PURE people can he utilized who have the experience? This is ridiculous on both sides. Report something real here.

Posted by: CitizenAJ | June 12, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

The fact that the right wing conservatives use the WSJ, now owned by R.Murdock, or Fox News also owned by Mr. Murdock proves that Murdock, an Australian, is subverting the American fabric with his ownership of what used to be a fee press. Time we make sure one person cannot own all the media in the US and we ensure many multiple owners in every media in every market! The right wing Republicans have done so much damage through deregulation and allowing money to rule over what is best for the country. Time for a huge change. Vote Obama!

Posted by: Janet | June 12, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

The GOP is going down in flames, destined for 20 years of minority status, and this is the best they can do. How ugly. How pathetic.
===================

and how effective and affective!

Posted by: fenner | June 12, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

These guys are NOT choosing VP candidates! The were brought in to investigate the backgrounds of a list of candidates given to them by Obama and his campaign.

Posted by: swalker3 | June 12, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Gee...the Dems won't hold hearings on the Bush/Cheney corrupt machine...but we'll sit quietly while they trash any of our people on the mere potential of ethical violations?

If the Dems let this happen quietly, we don't deserve to run the Country. Impeach Bush/Cheney...hold Republicans accountable for their part in trampling our constitution and nation of laws...

Even if one lives in a glass house, once someone's thrown the first stone, it's prudent to assert efforts to limit further damage!

Posted by: lasinva | June 12, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Andrew | June 12, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

This election is going to be an ugly one. All the goodwill earned because of Bush leaving office will be gone by the time we vote. Maybe even by the end of the conventions.

The press is guilty by giving a forum for these non-issues.

Posted by: Bill J | June 12, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Yawn

Posted by: Bob F | June 12, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

==================
u are working overtime.
we want mcCain.
what part of that dont you understand?

Posted by: fenner | June 12, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Carly Fiorina, when in HP, was the one who said something like that "Americans should not get take their jobs for granted"

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I guess when you're the GOP and have been devoid of any ideas or positive policy proposals that actually could help the country, all you have left is bile and negativity, so this attack is par for the course. Republicans: Party of Hate and Protecting Wealth Since 1980.

Posted by: Polly | June 12, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey you idiots! See if you can learn something about "civil discourse." You keep ranting about imagined evils and yell and scream. You aren't changing anyone's mind.

Why don't you just keep harping on "You don't really want some more of the Republican Administration's attempt to bring fascism into this country; let the Corporations write their own legislation; let the Supreme Court write opinions that sound like it is 1908 instead of 2008; refuse to consider impeaching everyone in this government for all their lies, their dismissals of our liberties, their disregard of our laws. YOU CAN'T WANT MORE OF THE SAME!!! Whatever can be said about Bill Clinton's womanizing and lying about it cannot be compared to what this Administration - and the press - have lied about for the past 8 years. WAKE UP EVERYONE, THIS YEAR'S FOR US!

Posted by: phylly | June 12, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

So anyone who is against Obama is a racist?
How convenient.
Posted by: Tez | June 12, 2008 12:42 PM
____________________________
You are the first person here to say "RACIST"!
Think about it AHOLE!!

Posted by: harried | June 12, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

is obama practicing OLD WASHINGTON POLITICS?

Isnt the candidate of change suppose to be wise enough to choose his own VP?

he sure cant choose much else from Rezko, Auchi, Ayers, Pfleger,Johnson, and right down the line.......

only change is that he is the first candidate who seem to be conflicted about EVERYTHING.

Posted by: fenner | June 12, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Clinton's last-moment presidential pardons were truly the low light of his entire 8 years in office, and I say this about a man who had sexual relations with an intern in the White House. It's beyond me why Obama would ever let somebody involved in those pardons anywhere near his campaign. The pardons have been hanging over Eric Holder's head for years, and it was plain stupid for the Obama campaign not to see this one coming. There's a real pattern here of not vetting his advisors and associates.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | June 12, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I thought we could on "change" from this empty suit?
I know it's hard for the "children" to hear there is no Santa Claus but they are going to have to accept it that the only change we'll see in BO's presidency is the name on the White House Xmas card.
Get over it kids; he's a politician!

Posted by: MrRex | June 12, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

As DC US Attorney Holder also cleared Ira Magaziner of any wrongdoing when he was nailed for developing Hillary Clinton's famous health care plan -- you can look it up. As a result, he got the Deputy slot at DoJ.

Tit for Tat, as usual with the Clintons. Only they usually just took.

"Let's not go down that road," as DC lawyers love to say at depositions.

Posted by: Chris Inwien | June 12, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

None of this is important. Nobody cares besides the handful of fools that play these games.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

so Casey and McCaskell must be feeling less than adequate?

what a punch in the gut... i am sure they thought they would be automatically considered.

why does obama need someone to choose for him? cant do it himself?

i thought he was this super-intellect. one would think someone as important as his vp he sould be the candidate of change and choose his own?

or is he playing old washington politics, goodness forbid.

Posted by: fenner | June 12, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

You should hope that Eric Holder's integrity is beyond reproach, not above approach.

Posted by: boyhowdy | June 12, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

So anyone who is against Obama is a racist?

How convenient.

Posted by: Tez | June 12, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if most people give a crap about these kinds of issues. It's really so tangential to anything that anyone cares about.

Posted by: Cliff | June 12, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Why all the fuss?

Because Obama pledged to be a new kind of candidate and the crazy liberals, uneducated youth and desperate-for-change upper middle class white folks believed in him.

And it was all bullsh*t. Obama has and continues to tell everyone what they want hear - that's why he's so popular. BECAUSE HE'S LYING TO YOU.

You can't make these incredible promises that got you through the primaries and expect everyone to sit idle while the real contest begins and you start acting like a regular politician out of neccessity.

I'm sure John McCain would be a lot more popular to if he told me he was going to end the war, give everyone health care and make the country energy independant without having to drill within our borders.

Posted by: The Truth | June 12, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Between Anne Applebaum's remarks and others in what used to be a great newspaper it look like Wapo is now targeting racists for readers.

Posted by: Andrew | June 12, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I hope Obama's approach this time is to debunk the Republicans' accusations. Nobody is going to be able to work on anyone's campaign at this rate.

What happened to the stories about Charlie Black from McCain's campaign? Two can play at this game, I suppose, although I'd hope the general election wouldn't sink to this.

Posted by: Seneca | June 12, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

The problem is that you can't claim to be running against 'those people in Washington' and then use those same people at the highest levels of your campaign.

Running against Washington and the way business is done there is fine. But selecting somebody who is deep on the inside of party politics and is a big time Washington player is bound to draw comments of hypocrrisy. If you Google Jim Johnson, he's as 'inside Washingrton' as it gets. Same with his other vetters.

This is a story precisely because Obama chose to run against Washington and bring in 'change' (although how a US Senator, which is a Washington as it gets can run against 'those people in Washington' is beyond me).

He can't have it both ways.

Posted by: Tez | June 12, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

After the last eight years, the Obama camp should tell the Republicans to go Cheney themselves.

Posted by: Sara B. | June 12, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I hate the GOP | June 12, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

That eff off Obama, who's never done a damn thing in his life except to sit dutifully and worshipfully at the feet of a racist hatemonger, couldn't lead a horse's ass to water! Get him outta here, before he does some REAL damage to the nation-as a dyed in the wool Dem. I wouldn't be CAUGHT DEAD voting for that do-nothing fraud!

Posted by: Disgusted | June 12, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I agree with an earlier writer: At some point Obama has to take a stand. He just can't dump everybody the media wants him to dump. He didn't have to leave his church,his pastor,his friends. Obama is acting like a punk! I was going to vote for him, but no more. The man has no backbone.

Posted by: Nativson | June 12, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Ahh more shilling for the beltway medias chosen candidate.

Posted by: TEXDEM | June 12, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

After conservatives allowed cheney to SELECT himself as bush's VP they object to James A. Johnson because?????

Oh, they fear James A. Johnson might select himself as Obama's choice for VP.

And conservatives are creating a smoke screen to cover "more of the same" McCain.

Posted by: Historian | June 12, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, McCain's lobbyists to dictators get a pass. Good old NeoCon Post. Fair and Balanced. Bomb bomb Iran, eh boys? You know who signs your marching orders, dontcha you adorable little tykes.

Posted by: B2O2 | June 12, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Conservatives.......pond scum in the ocean of politics.

Posted by: Waldo Leidecker | June 12, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Thank you , GOP and fellow Repubs. After days of ingesting your neurotic vitriole against first Hillary, then Obama and Johnson and now Eric Holder, of all people, you have finally forced me to a decision that I have been loathe to make, as a staunch Hillary Clinton supporter. Obama '08! It sends chills up my spine to envision a McCain presidency and people like you in charge for 4 more years. Scary

Posted by: S.Thompson | June 12, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

A lawyer at a big Washington law firm represents big companies in lawsuits? SHOCK. AGHAST. Luckily he didn't put in a couple decades of public service. Oh, wait a minute . . .

Posted by: Anon | June 12, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Sen. Obama cuts ties with people when they become the subject of bad press stories, not when they do anything wrong. Jim Johnson had more in common with Samantha Power than he did with, say, Alphonso Jackson.

This kind of thing won't stop until Obama shows he will stick up for the people working for him. Breaking the law, engaging in some kind of immoral behavior or saying something on behalf of the campaign that is different from what the candidate is saying is one thing; no one is suggesting that Obama ought to be like President Bush or Hillary Clinton and only fire people he thinks are disloyal or likely subject to jail time.

At some point, though, Barack Obama has got to show that he is for something besides Barack Obama. If that means taking some hits in the media rather than dumping someone who is doing an important job, he needs to take the hits.

Posted by: Zathras | June 12, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

NEXT ON (GENUINE) CONSERVATIVES LIST: ANTONIN SCALIA.
WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO IMPEACH A SUPREME COURT JUSTICE?
THAT SHOULD BE OUR GOAL IN NOVEMBER.

Posted by: tomhere | June 12, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Mr Jonathan Weisman, if you think that you are that wise trying hot jab on Ubama,where is your journalistic integrity when the gas price hit and past $4.00, wasn't it the time to ask the Question : what happened in the Energy task force meeting between Chenney and the energy companies executives.

Posted by: tony | June 12, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

What about the rumor that Obama has some black children?

Posted by: pablo1 | June 12, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"Obama makes countless gaffes and mistakes revealing his lack of experience and judgement - and yet if anyone points it out, they are being "divisive" or resorting to "scare tactics." Put down the Kool-Aid Obama disciples. Not everyone buys the "change" facade, and anyone running for POTUS should expect scrutiny."
----------------

Other than McCain, naturally. WaPo seems inclined to give Magoo a free pass on his continual gaffs, meanwhile acting as mouthpiece for any bit of meaningless garbage his campaign feels like experimenting with.

Even Fox News occasionally pretends to show the other side.

Posted by: Brix | June 12, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Is there nothing else to write about? Fine, vet Obama's vetters. But for crying out loud: only one of McCain's lackies is mentioned?

He had people running his campaign that lobbied for Burma's junta. And what about Charlie Black.

I guess the press is still pushing the narrative that the flip-flopper McCain is a maverick.

Posted by: edzo2 | June 12, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Alright WAPO, let's get SOME coverage on McCain's people for a change.

Let's not be complicit like during the run-up to the Iraq war.

Posted by: JR | June 12, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I meant to say that Hillary Clinton's brothers made out like bandits in being instrumental in securing Rich's pardon.
So Obama, whom we hoped would represent a change, has done nothing different than fellow democrats or republicans.

We need to sit on all of 'em. Until we Americans learn and totally accept the fact that the big A in politics stands for ACCOUNTABILITY, and does not stand for adoring and adulation of these mere fellow human beings running for office then we deserve what ultimately happens to bobby soxers.

We need to hold their feet to the hottest fire until they get the message of governing on and in our behalf. Jackie Endres Beatbick@Verizon.net

Posted by: Jackie Endres Beatbick@verizon.net | June 12, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Is there any reason no one is looking at Carly Fiorina, the woman drove HP into the ground and is was forced out as VP. I might be mistaken but she is as loonie as they come, and yet we hear little or nothing about her.

Posted by: John | June 12, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm wondering if Obama's pool guy will come under fire next. I heard he's a jaywalker.

Posted by: Ryan | June 12, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Scrutiny of Obama is fine, and expected and warranted.

Scrutiny of random underlings (on both sides) is nothing more than "slow news month" journalism.

Posted by: P Diddy | June 12, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Desperate tactics so soon from the gop, tsk tsk tsk. Nothing can or will save republicans from the wrath that comes their way in November.....NOTHING!

Posted by: pj451 | June 12, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pgr88 | June 12, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh Please...this is such nonsense. From what cloistered nunnery did all these sin free stone throwers emerge? Who doesn't remember the days watching McCain and the rest of the Keating 5 sitting in the dock of the Senate Ethics committee investigating his alleged trading of legislative and regulatory favors for the banker thief Keating in exchange for political contributions? Based on the standard the RNC is mouthing about for Obama's VP Vet Staff, with McCain's past he should step down as the nominee today! Talk about poor judgment.

Posted by: Todd | June 12, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Before WaPo's Balz&Cillizzii are finished they will be demanding that Barak denounce his wife Michelle, because she said "I'm finally proud of America", and his two daughters because they were born of a woman taht said "I'm finally proud of America"!

Well let me say "I'm proud of you Michelle"!
FIGHT HARD!

Posted by: harried | June 12, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

WaPo continues to demonstrate its irrelevancy to meaningful public discourse.

Posted by: Brix | June 12, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I think Bill Clinton's pardoning of Mark Rich who was a convicted felon unable to return to this country, owed the government a $68million was as low as any President can get.

Well known that Rich was a heavenly supporter of Israel who undoubtedly persuaded Clinton to save their "sugar daddy," plus the fact who knows how much of $68 million went to Clinton's Arkansas Library and how much went to Hillary Clinton's New York senatorial race through Rich's girlfriend.

So far Holder's name has not been brought up in connection with Rich's parson so his double ss should be kicked out.

Not only that Hillary Clinton's apparently came off pretty well with getting Rich's pardon.

Unfortunately, both parties, including Obama and Clinton, are rotten to the core and unless we Americans start marching down to the White House and the Capitolto protect what's going on, these people in the lap of luxury are going to continue their rotten habits of taking and giving to the people who will give them millions of dollars.

So, I say let us start marching!!!!! Don't bother to say that Obama couldn't have picked people with clean skirts as he did Caroline Kennedy.

Jackie Endres Beatbick@verizon.net

Posted by: Jackie Endres | June 12, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't it make more sense to assail the actual VP nominee instead of the people who are in charge of identifying this person??? This smacks of GOP desperation to me.

Posted by: V | June 12, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

So the media is going to be complicit - yet again - in its devotion to continuing the politics of personal destruction that make up standard operating procedure for the GOP? Great.

Posted by: Corbett | June 12, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Actually this non-issue is turning into a good test of Obama's character.

Will he allow himself to be pushed around by the press and the GOP or will he fight back hard?

Will he continue to let others define him?

Posted by: Mr. Moderate | June 12, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Wah Wah Wah! - The point is the Dems are just as corrupt as the Republicans. Obama is just another politician with no chance to change anything.

Posted by: Chuck | June 12, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why the gop is even concerned with the people who are volunteering to look for vps for Obama. What is the big deal and why bother.
That said, the gop will learn that things are going to be different this time.
the democrats are organized and activists are ready to make alot of noise and go after the republicans with relish.
Obama is not Kerry in 2004. He is not going to avoid a fight and will be happy to go toe to toe.
The lesson the gop is going to learn this summer is Not This Time!

Posted by: vwcat | June 12, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Like Carly Fiorina is a prize!

Isn't she the chick that blew apart HP, got fired by the Board of Directors? Married to Frank Fiorina, AT&T executive until 1998.

Sure is some incestuous intermingling relationships between John McCain and big business.

Posted by: Sheik.Jabouti | June 12, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

why this great love of "guilt laden liberals " for mr obama? you lost a good candidate in Hillary Clinton and wont see anything bad now in your choice .

is it "cognitive dissonance" at work my friends? admit you made a mistake in rubbishing a great candidate for the nomination

Posted by: full_of_wonder | June 12, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I love the way we let Republicans set the discussion. Why? There's no reason to.

Who cares?

Obama is running for office, not these other people. There aren't any saints in government on either side, so these stories are full of fake incredulity. Bull sh*t, in other words.

Posted by: tony the pitiful copywriter | June 12, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Why even cover this? What a waste of space. By covering it, you give it life...
Posted by: phorse | June 12, 2008 11:54 AM
_______________________________

It's the Karl Rove proven plan. You fling enough crap on the wall and see what sticks!

Posted by: harried | June 12, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

In the end both politicians will have their true color exposed: they are just puppets of the rich and powerful. The one who claim himself as clean as an angel will fall back to where he belongs to, and shatter all the fantacies that has been created by the media into tiny pieces along the way.

Posted by: God Father | June 12, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Holy cow. Does anyone REALLY care about this? Have we sunk so low? I really don't care a lick about who might be on what committee (Unpaid mind you) to help narrow down a prospective VP who MIGHT get picked. Who cares WHO points this prospective VP out, as long as the prospect is worthy? I mean come on! We have a crashing economy, our kids are being killed in a war in Iraq that we started, and you really give a crap about this? Really. We should all be ashamed. Obama is the candidate of change, but he is not going to be able to run for president without knowing, associating with and being friends with other politicians. And while I am at it, I would love to hear more about what you are gonna do, from you, than what you think the other candidate is gonna do. Every speech I hear, and I hear a lot of them, thanks to XM radio, and POTUS, is full of misleading statements, and things taken out of context. I would like to hear a speech by Obama that didn't have McCain's name in it, and one from McCain that didn't have Obama's name in it. We have enough real issues out there. Let's just hear it straight.

Posted by: biggirl | June 12, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

how many pieces will the wapo devote today to eric holder, like yesterday's efforts on behalf of st john to get johnson.

Posted by: linda | June 12, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

and Jonathan Weisman is bringing us this why, his doing Right wing hit job because they are so right about everything, from WMD to the economy to Gas price, mr Jonathan Weisman you are such Shame to Journalist, you are coward, this is not journlism, this is Prostitution.

Posted by: tony | June 12, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Susan Ralston
Jerry Lewis
Larry Craig
Alberto Gonzalez

$4 gas
the K Street Project
the Permanent Republican Majority?

& don't forget the Keating 5!

just the tip of the iceberg of what the Republican Party has hefted on the shoulders of America, while they got rich.

Remove the phony Christians & Conservatives from office this November before they do any more damage to our nation.

Posted by: pv | June 12, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Why even cover this? What a waste of space. By covering it, you give it life...

Posted by: phorse | June 12, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

BudinTexas...It's CHARLES Keating - the guy who screwed seniors out of their life savings, before he was tried, convicted and went to prison. I'm rather surprised McCain would want to go down this road of "guilt by association."
Posted by: Arizonan against McCain | June 12, 2008 11:38 AM
___________________________

The old SOB can't remember this morning, he's just figuring he's like everyone else.
John McCain has always been a compromising thief, that's why the Vietcong did not kill him!

Posted by: harried | June 12, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Tell the specific GOP members to vet their own with their specific vast amounts of corruption in the past some years. Tell them to mind the business of their own camp, and make sure that THEY are piecing together the right members themselves. Obama camp, TELL THEM! Stand up and tell them right now. They are weak this year, they know it, and therefore they have NO business vetting past their own side!

Specific GOP members responsible: Back Off! Do what You have to do, and let Obama do what he has to do. When the decisions are made, lets take the vetting back to the issues. I hope you have an appetite, because there are a LOT of problems and we're not playing around with you This Year! You are in DEEP water this time around. Get ready.

Posted by: Obama2008 | June 12, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Thank God the Fascists are telling us what corruption is.

Posted by: GOP Is the American Nazi Party | June 12, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

What the GOP will find out is that the "swift boat" tacticts that worked against Senator Kerry, will not work this time.

Do you really think Americans want a Bush III, with McBush?

You have killed enough of our children.

And now, you have the economy so bad, until young boys will have no choice but to "volunteer" for the armed services and die for McBush in his 100 year war.

No way!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

And we're listening to Republicans doling out advice on possible corruption why again?

We're listening to Republicans for any reason, on any subject why again?

Posted by: Christian in NYC | June 12, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

This only proves that the GOP knows that they cannot outgun Obama directly on issues and policy. They are reduced to dredging up dirt on minions. This is what happens when your party has failed to do anything good for the country in 8 years.

Posted by: Hank | June 12, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

One of the most colorful in McCain's history is Duke Tully - friend, advocate, godfather to his kid, the newspaper magnate who gave McCain his backing in Arizona. McCain and Tully loved trading "war stories."

Duke Tully was the famous WWII fighter pilot who would gladly speak (in uniform) at any and all statewide veteran's groups who requested him. Tully would vividly tell his audience about his days as a fighter pilot and how he climbed the ladder of success to achieve his high profile position at the Arizona Republic, by far the state's largest newspaper.

Just one problem, Mr."Duke" Tully never was a fighter pilot, unless it was at an amusement park with his grandchildren. He was living the mother of all lies and getting away with it for years until he was exposed after numerous "Real Veterans" started to question the accuracy of his stories. Tully's lies were exposed and he resigned in disgrace as CEO of the Arizona Republic.

Posted by: Arizonan against McCain | June 12, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Eric Holder is the consummate gentleman and his integrity is above approach. I have personally known him for about 20 years when he was US Attorney for DC.

Posted by: Bill | June 12, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

What about vetting McCain's team. Carly Fiorina is no angel and has plenty ties to shady business characters. She was a horrible CEO too.

Posted by: brad | June 12, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Hey, there's a way to get rid of WaPo, it's like what you do to roaches!

And no one in their right mind has a discussion with a roach, right?

Posted by: harried | June 12, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Scooter Libby was innocent. Valerie Plame was not an undercover operative. This has already been proven. Richard Armtigage "outed" Valerie Plame. A pardon is not the same as mitigating a sentence.

Posted by: Freeper | June 12, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Nothing about Obama himself can stick, so they're going after the guilt by association technique. Shouldn't surprise anyone. They're on their way to losing a significant number of House and Senate seats and are probably going to get trounced in the Presidential Election as well. Desperation means going after...Eric Holder. Huh? Until this morning, most people had no clue who Eric Holder was.

Posted by: P Diddy | June 12, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Wow! The Culture of Corruption GOP now wants to vet Democrats. How Orwellian is that?

If you're a Democrat, you're no good according to the GOP enablers of the worst administration ever.

Because of Republicans, the average American family lost 50% of their home value, their medical insurance, college loans, and now must pay 200% more for gasoline from when Clinton was in office. Stagflation is back and the stock and bond markets are about to crash, putting the country in the worst recession since the Republican inspired Great Depression.

But McSame says, "Let them eat massive tax cuts for the rich, again."

WE THE PEOPLE must "vet" the GOP out of office come November.

Posted by: Kevin Schmidt | June 12, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

"National Press Club, Larry Sinclair, News Conference, Wednesday, June 18, 2008."

Bring your own tinfoil hat.

Posted by: Tracy | June 12, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

It's nearly noon (EST) and still nothing yet on the Washington Post website about Fox News' disgraceful racist and sexist characterization of Michelle Obama as Barack Obama's "baby mama"? Yet, your writers can't work fast enough typing out tiresome "inside baseball" stories about vetters being vetted! Unbelieveable, but apparently, "sexism" is only a valid charge when it involves Hillary Clinton or white females.

Posted by: roje | June 12, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Hypocrisy at its stinking worst! Let's ask the RNC and George Bush about his mitigation of Scooter Libby's sentence. That was a criminal act of the worst kind, outing and undermining a then active CIA undercover operative.

Posted by: tydicea | June 12, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Pathetic.

Posted by: Mike | June 12, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Boy the GOP is desperate. This is what they focus upon? Sad and pathetic.

Posted by: Scy | June 12, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Did the RNC ever vet W, Cheney, or the rest of the criminals currently running the country. At least we have a process and not a "unitary executive".

If only the Democrats had a spine and impeached yesterday both W and Cheney.

Posted by: Angry Liberal | June 12, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

With their supporters unwilling to pony up the cash for a good old-fashioned (circa 2004) 527 smear campaign, it appears that the RNC mud slingers are turning to the much more cost efficient MSM and internet style of swift boating for this election.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

obama, showing daily how inept and inarticulate he truly is

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Phil Gramm is a UBS executive, and Scooter Libby was Marc Rich's lawyer. The RNC better be careful...they're opening their own can of worms here.

Posted by: Mike | June 12, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

GOP'ers - beware of what you wish for.......

Phil Gramm, and the rest of your cabla of lobbyists, John McCains unsavory relationship with the criminal (convicted0 Kenneth Keating, and who knows whom else.

Posted by: BudinTexas | June 12, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

This makes me long for the days when they would just float the names out there anonymously and let the media and public do the work for them.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

National Press Club, Larry Sinclair, News Conference, Wednesday, June 18, 2008.

Posted by: Karl | June 12, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse