Obama Visits Southwest Virginia

By Juliet Eilperin
Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) didn't make it to the rural district of Rep. Rick Boucher (D-Va.) in the run-up to the Virginia primary, but he promised he would return once he had locked up his party's nomination.

Today, he delivered.

Boucher, who endorsed Obama in January but saw his conservative district support Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) in the primary, said the presumptive Democratic nominee "made a large start here in winning the hearts and minds of people in my district" as he addressed roughly 3,000 people in Bristol, Va..

"No sooner had he secured the Democratic nomination, then he came here," Boucher said in a phone interview, adding that the crowd "packed the biggest indoor facility" in his district. "The enthusiasm today was just remarkable."

Boucher said he was confident that with enough time in the state, Obama would be able to defeat his GOP rival, Sen. John McCain (Ariz.). Plus, he was just happy people are competing In Virginia at all.

"We have not had a competitive presidential race in Virginia since 1964," he said. "Both parties used to take Virginia for granted. This year, that's going to change."

Boucher's prediction? "I think Obama will win Virginia. And if Virginia votes Democratic, then I think he wins the White House."

By Washington Post Editors  |  June 5, 2008; 4:52 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New York Goes For Obama
Next: Obama Plans to Keep Lid on Veep Talk

Comments

My God people. Everyone who doesn't see the link between the 3 primary candidates and the people with the money is just the typical brainwashed American. We watch too much TV and read too many biased newspapers. It's basic psychology people and this country has been duped again. All of the evidence is pointing out that Barack is simply another puppet to the big money people of this planet. Do your research people. Research Bilderberg. Research the CFR and their mission for America and its defenses for the next century. These people have been buying our representatives for years now and they keep putting everything out there for people to see. Ask yourself why we are REALLY in the Middle East right now. Well, simply read up on the CFR and their publicly posted documents and you will see.

Barack is not for change. He IS taking money from the big wigs out there and not just your small tips. He has been bought and paid for people. That's why he was in VA on Friday. He wasn't there to repay a debt to your representative. He was there to repay his debt to the big money "Bilderbergs".

Research people. Please.

God Save this country and the world from these puppetmasters.

Posted by: NWOreignsSupremeAgain | June 9, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

So what is this change Obama speaks of really. I mean sure, the package looks good but whats really inside? Is it a more vamped up police presence in our neighborhoods, is it more cameras and bars for our schools, Is it more money being taken out of your paycheck, is it mass genocide, war with Pakistan, you tell me. I do not want this country to be run by companies and groups of old men who like to play games with peoples lives any more. It has nothing to do with Democrat or Republican, it's about being a free thinking American who really cares for his/her country. Be prepared for 21st century serfdom.

Posted by: aconcernedamerican | June 7, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against Obama on grounds of race. On the contrary, I'm fully in favour of a black and/or female president - such as Green party candidate Cynthia McKinney - someone with a track record of fighting for real change. And if my favourite candidate was old and white - like Ron Paul, that would be fine too.

The point about Obama, Clinton and McCain is that they are not at the forefront because they're the best people to serve the interests of you or me. They are there because those who already run America put them there.

Obama appears to be the antithesis of Bush - Democratic, articulate, intelligent and black. Just what's required at the moment to make a candidate saleable. The slogan is "America Wants Change" but it's nothing but a Corporate media advertising campaign. The packaging looks great, the flavour may be slightly different but the contents are poisonous again. Turn off your TV, put your newspaper down and do some research.

Obama's foreign policy advisor? Zbigniew Brzezinski.

Posted by: J Richards | June 6, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I am a 9th district resident of Southwest Virginia, and the only way Obama will get my votes and many others like me, is to place Hillary Clinton on the ticket. He will need her to win. Just wait and see in November if she's not on the ticket. I am one of those 18,000,000 voters who supported Hillary and will continue to do so.

Posted by: Annedia Sturgill | June 6, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Deward Bowles===Hagel as VP. I think not. he may be a nice guy and open minded, but he still is a long way from most of Obam's views on everything but the war and Israel. Maybe as secretary of defense. I could see that.

Posted by: majorteddy | June 6, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Obama's link to his puppet masters of The Bilderberg Group is old news. What's more considerable is the power hungry HIllary who is much more in bed with them. If she does become Obama's running mate then the bankers continue to own the country. Nothing new. Only this time it'll be on the scale of Jimmy Carter. God help us all.

Posted by: S. Fleming | June 6, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

So, is Obama attending the Bildeberger meetings while he's in VA?

Posted by: JustAVoter | June 6, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Speaking as a middle-aged white guy, we now have a race between the old white guy and the young black guy. Honestly, we've been doing the old white guy thing for the last 220 years. Isn't it time we gave the young black guy thing a chance? And not just any young black guy, but the Harvard-educated, whip smart, charismatic, decent young black guy, who just happens to have a way better policy agenda than the old white guy. Let's show the world we're not stuck in a rut!

Posted by: Michael | June 5, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

As someone from the Northeast who has lived in many southern states, it amazes me at the change in 50 years. I taught high school in a sleepy southern towwn which made national news for its racial rioting.

Thank God the Obama campaign has been wise enough not to whine about it when the ugliness surfaced from time to time. Virginia, I am so proud of your willingness to have an open mind to the merits of the candidate.

Posted by: Lee in Florida | June 5, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I hope Obama wins Virginia and the White House. There isn't any reason he'd be any worse than what we have now and John McCain, who is the same of what we have now. Obama is different. Some people just don't want to admit and don't have the deceny to admit it either. People can be ugly, but for every ugly attitude out there, there's someone like me who's in favor of Obama.

Obama 08!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Vegas | June 5, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I believe Obama will choose a Republican for VP.

My guess is Hagel.

Posted by: Deward Bowles | June 5, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

best vid of the primary....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Ky1_pyn6Q

Posted by: pubichaironmycokecan | June 5, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

The Bilderberg Group was meeting in Virginia today (coincidence?) James A. Johnson who has Obama selected to head his Vice-Presidential Search Committee is the Vice-Chairman of multi-billion dollar hedge fund and merchant bank, Perseus. He's also on the board of Goldman Sachs, a business partner of George Soros, a former chairman of Lehman Brothers, a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the Trilateral Commission. The Chairman of Perseus is Frank Pearl also a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and an active member of the Americans for Bilderberg group.

Obama = more of the same.

Posted by: J Richards | June 5, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse