Reactions to Russert's Passing

Tim Russert was the longest-serving host of NBC's "Meet the Press."

Updated 5:22 p.m.
By Glenn Kessler and Juliet Eilperin
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama described himself as "grief-stricken" over the passing of NBC Washington bureau chief and "Meet the Press" host Tim Russert at age 58 this afternoon. Obama spoke to reporters on the tarmac in Columbus shortly before his plane was scheduled to depart.

Obama said he had known Russert since Obama's speech to the Democratic National Convention in 2004 in Boston.

"He's somebody who, over time, I came to consider not only a journalist but a friend," Obama said. "There wasn't a better interviewer on television, not a more thoughtful analysts of our politics." He was "one of the finest men I knew," said Obama.

"I am grief-stricken with the loss and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family."

Presumptive GOP nominee Sen. John McCain issued a statement describing Russert as a friend, as well. "I am very saddened by Tim Russert's sudden death," said McCain in the statement. "Cindy and I extend our thoughts and prayers to the Russert family as they cope with this shocking loss and remember the life and legacy of a loving father, husband and the preeminent political journalist of his generation.

"He was truly a great American who loved his family, his friends, his Buffalo Bills, and everything about politics and America. He was just a terrific guy. I was proud to call him a friend, and in the coming days, we will pay tribute to a life whose contributions to us all will long endure."

Independent Sen. Joe Lieberman, traveling with Sen. McCain today, said, "The truth is he made us all better."

"He was hard, but he was always fair," McCain told reporters after his plane alighted at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport in Arlington, Va., this afternoon. "He was at the top of his profession. He loved his country. He loved his Buffalo Bills."

The reactions poured in from figures across the political spectrum and around the world. President Bush, who is traveling in Europe, sent condolences from his family to the Russert one.

"Laura and I are deeply saddened by the sudden passing of Tim Russert. Those of us who knew and worked with Tim, his many friends, and the millions of Americans who loyally followed his career on the air will all miss him," he said in a statement issue by the White House.

"As the longest-serving host of the longest-running program in the history of television, he was an institution in both news and politics for more than two decades. Tim was a tough and hardworking newsman. He was always well-informed and thorough in his interviews. And he was as gregarious off the set as he was prepared on it.

"Most important, Tim was a proud son and father, and Laura and I offer our deepest sympathies to his wife Maureen, his son Luke, and the entire Russert family. We will keep them in our prayers."

Former vice president Al Gore weighed in from Nashville. "The US and the world have a lost a great journalist, interviewer and author. He was an original and will be greatly missed," he said in a statement.

And New York Gov. David A. Patterson mourned the loss of a local boy made good who got his start in politics working for one of New York's legendary senators. "Today I was deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Tim Russert, a beloved native son of Buffalo, New York," Patterson said in a statement. "A distinguished and dedicated public servant, he worked for New York Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan and in the administration of Governor Mario Cuomo" before becoming "a fair, tough and outstanding journalist," he said.

"Tim never forgot his roots in Western New York, and his hometown has always celebrated his great accomplishments.... My heart and prayers go out to his family and colleagues, as New York mourns the death of this great American."

By Web Politics Editor  |  June 13, 2008; 4:25 PM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Candidates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McCain to Woo Clinton Supporters on Saturday Conference Call
Next: On Tim Russert

Comments

I'm not bashing the Clintons, but it does seem odd that they have not issued a statement.

As for Tim's political leanings, Gwen Ifill summed it up yesterday on Meet the Press. "I could never tell how Tim voted."

For Tim, "Go Bills."

Posted by: Kathy NYC | June 16, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Tim played a great part in the short animated film "George W. Bush Saves A Baby" which you may find at YouTube.

This animation truly shows Tim Russert.

I urge you to view it.

Posted by: Casper Wski | June 16, 2008 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Guilty, you kidding! They are shameless! They are programming us with both their program and advertisement! Boycott the media is the best thing we can do. American or the world won't miss a thing if we close down NBC/MSNBC, CNN etc.

Posted by: LC | June 15, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Tim has joined Edward R. Murrow and other greats! When is it appropriate to voice concerns about our country when elected officials refuse to do their pledged duty and uphold the constitution? Edward R. Murrow raised questions about McCarthy. What was Tim's equivalent moment?

Is all this coverage a way for the media to distract us from the real media issue....that the media isn't doing it's job?? Do you suppose they feel guilty?

Posted by: cokids | June 15, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Last night, I watch Keith Olbermann teamed up with Chuck Todd in "Remembering Tim Russert". It make me laugh and disgust when hearing Keith talking about they care about the "TRUTH"! Is that a word in NBC/MSNBC's dictionary!

Posted by: LC | June 14, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

My condolence to Tim's family! But I agree with one of the reader, he is just a jounalist and NO GOD! The media use the platform they have and warship him like a GOD - the intent is to raise their own profile. Who are they kidding? Are they (Keith Olbermann, Chris Matthew alike) really believe they are the "King without Crown" - Give me a break! They are nothing but someone make a living by click their lips with eacher. Anyone with IQ under 50 can do that job and even better, they would be really fair and balanced! The media's prestiaged life is numbered with the internet. Who need to watch their show and their pathetic advertisement! Should we say - War against the media! They are worse then both RNC and DNC combined!

Posted by: LC | June 14, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

For those who complains that both Clintons MIA in all this is because they are on vacation! Get over it - your Clinton basher. I like Tim Russert and he is relative decent person but he is no saint and his bias is apparent! After all he is SVP of NBC. This is a Big blow to NBC and deservely so!

Posted by: LC | June 14, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

It is going to be a bit sad tomorrow - I really enjoyed "Meet the Press" - Tim Russert was a solid, dependable, and well prepped host. He sounds and seemed like a nice, regular guy and I was touched that he got the enormity of the final democratic primary.

Posted by: 2008 | June 14, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Death of a respected American, who cared for those who have not had much, was a great father, husband and son, is a very sad affair. It is "Truth", the first religion of Humanity. Humans have opinions and sometime we have differences. That's the way this Universe has functioned always. However, we can never disgree from what is "TRUE". Remember there is only one truth. Tim Russert's character of caring and respecting others can never be TAINTED by hatered that I have read in some Blogs. I just pray May God give stregth to his family and friends who have lost a Great Human. MY SALUTE TO YOU TIM AND MY PRAYERS FOR YOUR LOVED ONES. THEIR LOSS IS IMENSE!

Posted by: RC in CA | June 14, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jean | June 14, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

My Lord's strength be with your family during these troubling times, especially.

Rest in peace now, Tim. You have tapped into the hearts and minds of many, and you have accomplished so much. You are freed from your ailment, but you will be missed. We thank you for your contribution. We thank you for simply who you were.

To Tim Russert, who has definitely helped to set the standard. (Cheers) We acknowledge that there is only one you, Tim. We could only hope that one attempts to come close to delivering your style of work, with such energy and passion as you had. Thank you. God be with you.

Posted by: Obama2008 | June 14, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Susan who is here.

Are you addicted to bashing the Clintons? Can you talk about anything else? Is hate so addictive? Seek therapy!! Do it soon - you're wasting your life!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 14, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

It is so sad to hear of the passing of such a wonderful man and journalist. Tim Russert was the best there is. He is gone while people like Liz Trotta of FOX news is still here talking about the assasination of Barack Obama and now FOX news is referring to Michelle Obama as "Baby Mama" which implies that their innocent children are bastards. To pick on two innocent little girls is the best FOX can do.God bless and keep Tim's family. He will be greatly missed. I feel bad to even mention his name next to people like the so-called journalists on FOX.

Posted by: Irma Franklin | June 14, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Tim Russert always seemed Republican leaning to me. He would let Cheney talk on and on without interruption. Maybe Cheny agreed to come only if he were allowed to do that? I was surprised to hear that Tim grew up Catholic and associated with the Democrats in DC.

He will be a very, very hard act to follow. Actually impossible to replace. He was a real journalist - working rather than arm chair, spoon fed recent types. We know who those are.

Tim Russert asked the hard questions. It's very difficult to believe he's gone. Sunday morning will not be the same.

Posted by: Thinker | June 14, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Obama REFUSES to debate John McCain.

Obama is A WOOSE

Obama offers to have a debate on JULY 4th

SO NO ONE WILL BE WATCHING.

OBAMA IS SO TRANSPARENT

And we don't like what (little) we see

If Obama builds a website
And no one cares
Will he be able to let other answer FOR him?

Nope

NOVEMBER = NOBAMA

Posted by: Anonymous | June 14, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

So, where are the illustrious Clintons now? Didn't they know Tim Russert? Even an email of condolences would have been appropriate.

Oh, that's right - Mr. Russert dissed the Clintons during the primary, so nothing he ever did prior to that is worth anything.

Hopeless, pathetic, selfish children.

Posted by: Susan | June 14, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

IF, during the Clinton administration,
Tim Russert had been the journalist
and moralist everyone is attesting to,
Meet The Press would NOT have validated and formalized our sick occupation
with President Clinton's penis.
Does anyone remember the issues ignored ?
It is not offensive or disrespectful at this time to point out that Mr. Russert was instrumental in creating "Bush's 28%,"
and a press that would take anything;
...and, on the air, the toughest response Mr. Russert ever gave to blatent, offensive lies was a silent, cocking of the head and raised eyebrow.
Lawyer, first,-- journalist, not quite.

Posted by: Robert | June 14, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

I worked for Sen Moynihan shortly after Mr. Russert's departure.

Once after Moynihan had achieved a political and public policy coup in the early 1980s, then Senator Gary Hart quipped "Get me a Russert."

Posted by: Kevin | June 14, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

My first reaction was there is a God who abuse their power and authority. NBC/MSNBC marketed a GE product called Obama to the detriment of Hillary. I would have liked Chris Matthews to be the recipient of some godly punishment

Posted by: vs | June 14, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Curiously absent among the hundreds of tributes from Presidents, Candidates, and dignitaries read on CNN were the two Clintons. Are they still bitter because Tim was the first to announce her defeat?

Posted by: bodo | June 14, 2008 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Tim was an inspiration to all those from humble beginnings and all who strove to do their jobs with passion and dignity. A terrible loss indeed. Condolences to his family.

Posted by: Nana | June 14, 2008 6:15 AM | Report abuse

Strength to his family and may God pull you through this. Will be missed. From Canada

Posted by: justadad55+ | June 14, 2008 3:23 AM | Report abuse

Sundays will never be the same in my home.First it was breakfast on Sundays. Then came Tim Russert. He will be greatly missed. My thoughts are with his family. He had a wonderful personality.

Posted by: Shirley | June 14, 2008 1:51 AM | Report abuse

Russert was definitely at the top of the pyramid among political newscasters, and was a penetrating and engaging interviewer. American political discourse and analysis is poorer for his passing.

He sounded like a good man: dedicated not only to his craft, but wholeheartedly to his family, faith, friends, and colleagues.

His ability and style as an analyst and interviewer seemed at odds, somewhat: a combination of fastidiousness and elan that might, tethered to the reigns of lesser powers, cancel each other out. Russert, however, forged the two into a new alloy that helped to support and increase the understanding of the viewing audience every Sunday, and certainly during this year's primaries.

He will be sorely missed.

Posted by: Piter | June 14, 2008 1:40 AM | Report abuse

I was stunned by the news of Tim's death. You take for granted that the people you see in the news will always be there. I really appreciate the way Tim went about his work. He didn't hold back anything and he certainly did his homework on whatever subject he spoke about.

His directness towards political candidates was refreshing. I think many more journalists should study his way of asking questions and his ability to challenge those he interviewed.

My lasting memories of Tim Russert will be his questions directed towards Hillary Clinton during one of the debates in the primary elections.

Certainly, prayers and best wishes for his family during this trying time.

Posted by: Carlos | June 14, 2008 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Any time death a young age is a tragic event. My condolence to his family.

______________

But whoever says that he was fair journalist and he was gold standard for journalist, they must be beliveing that pigs can fly too. I still remember the night when Al Gore was declared that he was winning Florida ( before Result changed) and Mr. Tim's face was like he was about to cry. Fair journalism words goes exactly in the opposite direction from him. But that is ok. People need to undertand that he was doing job and earning money & he needs to do just like anyone of us ( keep our boss happy and keep earning)

May His soul rest in peace.

Posted by: john | June 14, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Russert was a very adequate journalist, no more and certainly no less. What's interesting is the reaction of the media to his death: other news disappeared from the air for hours as they treated this as though a head of state had died. It reminds me of a high school newspaper or yearbook staff who plays up what favored friends (and each other) has done. A more mature perspective really is called for.

Posted by: proteusdecision | June 13, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Is Russet's death just another MI or an MI caused under suspecious circumstances to yet another person who crossed the "Clintons" and died under untimely and questional circumstances?

Russet was a neutral journalist and a clever student of politics. He correctly reported on the rise of Obama and the resulting momentum that Obama was generating. he also called the race for Obama on tne North Carolina results. His call obviously crosed the Clintons.

Interesting questions continue to be raised by the untimely deaths of so many former Clinton associates and others who purportedly crossed the Clintons.

Posted by: Kev25 | June 13, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Should Cindy McCain's Brain Damage Be A Campaign Issue?

I don't know whether Americans care if the First Lady is mentally disabled - that's a question for McCain's pollsters. What I want to know is why McCain would even subject his poor wife to the rigors of a presidential campaign and worldwide scrutiny in the first place. The question speaks directly to McCain's personal cruelty and unbridled ambition.

Although the true extent of the brain damage has not been publicly disclosed, Cindy McCain's 2004 stroke is not a secret.

In a very flattering September 2007 interview in More, Paul Alexander wrote about the stroke damage:

"In conversation, she will occasionally have trouble remembering certain facts, especially from the recent past, and if you look closely you realize she cannot make her right hand into a complete fist, which has affected her handwriting, if not her ability to grasp a gearshift knob. "It's not bad," she says, describing the damage to her hand. "I can function. I have short-term memory loss. I can remember all the major details of my life, but I sometimes can't remember what happened last week."

I suspect that John McCain, viewed his wife's stroke more in terms of how it would affect his bid for the presidency than else.

From a January 2005 Larry King show:

"MCCAIN: I was the one at home that everyone came to to program their computers, fix their phones, do anything electrical, technical, anything on the computer. I can't get near it now. I'm overwhelmed by it.

And it's weird for me. And I might also say, I suffer from migraines also. And your last caller that called in -- and I just had an episode about a week and a half ago, where I didn't know, I thought I was having another stroke. It was a different kind of...

KING: Has the senator been very sympathetic?

MCCAIN: Yes. And I -- please don't -- let me explain that. He was very confused in the beginning. He didn't -- like everyone in the family, how could it happen to my wife? I'm 18 years older than she is. It doesn't happen to someone that's younger than you are. So on his behalf, I think he's trying to understand all this. It's a lot for him to take in."

In October 2007, Cindy McCain was hobbling around South Carolina as the result of a fall down in a Phoenix grocery store. Was her fall caused by her brain damage? Is the question any of our business?

Inevitably, the issue of the extent of Cindy McCain's brain damage will enter the public arena. So far, Mrs McCain has only had to field softballs lobbed at her by sympathetic journalists. Can the McCain campaign limit her public appearances to three-minute soundbites until November? I don' think so, not in today's political environment.

Why, Senator McCain, would you do this to your wife?

Posted by: debrazza | June 13, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Tim Russert is the gold standard. All journalists should emulate and learn from him, practice his high personal and professional standards. The profession would be better for it. My condolences to the Russert family.

Posted by: nleath | June 13, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

What an inspiriation Russert was. I am 39 year old, and I never was interested in politics, unless it was wathcing him on MEET THE PRESS. I feel as if he was like family, and I mourn his loss, and send my love to his family. Besides, I am from Bufflao,too, and I loved his hometown attitude and the fact that he was a Bills fan. Russert was a legend who deserves to go down in history with the likes of Cronkite.

Posted by: JGT | June 13, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Tim Russert has always been my favorite political journalist - despite his obvious preferences for Obama. He set the standard for researching his interviewees and asking the tough questions. Very rarely was Tim ever caught off guard.

You'll be in our hearts forever, Tim! And your legacy will live on.

Posted by: Christina | June 13, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

McCain has been on Meet the Press 50 times. Obama has been on less than a handful. But Obama's name goes on top. McCain was much closer than Chicago rezko, wright, father pfleger politician obama was to him.

Posted by: Sean | June 13, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

My condolences to his family and frieand and to all that watched him and learned from him...

He is irreplacable

Posted by: Starfire58 | June 13, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

>>Average Joe wrote: "Yes they do not question McCain's sexual adventures either. Republicans always have it easy. where's all the sympathy - for the 10's of 1000's of wounded YOUNG men sent to george bush's war??? that the mainstream media help propagandize???"

This doesn't belong here. Please have some respect.
________________________________________

Your comments don't either

Posted by: MIke | June 13, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

This doesn't belong here. Please have some respect.

Posted by: AsperGirl | June 13, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure that no one will miss him more than Rove and Cheney, who acknowledged their reliance on Russert to get their talking points across with minimum interference, in return for which he accepted the special access they provided.
No doubt journalism students will study Russert's position with NBC and how corporate policy affects a journalist, where the reins are much slacker in one direction than another, and so many opportunities can be passed by, with the consequences that we have seen.
Russert could have been less monetarily successful had he stood up to election fraud, false reports of WMD, blaming of subordinates for torture, and been rather less accommodating of the worst administration in US history.
I hope his example will inspire others to do better and hold to higher standards.

Posted by: Sarastro | June 13, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Tim,

You were (and still are) the man. I always enjoyed breakfast with you every Sunday morning, and enjoyed the debates and banter and grillings. I am going to miss you, my friend, but I guess God wanted the best political analyst closer to him this election cycle.

Rest in piece, Tim.

Posted by: Chidi | June 13, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

How sad! I know exactly how it is for the family to receive news of his sudden death -I lost my son, suddenly, on June 13th a year ago.He was 50 and Tim Russet
58 - much to young to leave us.

I know the heartbreak the Russet family are
feeling and will for a long time.

How sad to hear of the sudden death of Tim Russet. It is so heartbreaking for his family - I know as I lost my son. suddenly, last June 13th. a year ago. He was 50 years old and Tim 58 - much to young to be leaving us.

I feel so sad for the Russet family as I know what they are now going through and will in the future.

May Gos bless them!

s

Posted by: Randi Lockwood | June 13, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

My prayers go out to his family. God found a way for him to participate in his families very proud moment of his sons graduation.

I liked Tim's style. Tim always... ALWAYS had credible resources to back up anything he said. I loved how he would play a clip or provide documentation LIVE for people to address.

If I didn't make it to church on Sunday I watched his show. I enjoyed him as a debate moderator as well.

There is no replacement. He asked the tough questions no matter who you were.

Posted by: Greg | June 13, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

What a sad day it is in the world of journalism and politics alike.

I'd like to think that we are all a bit better for the bar Tim Russert has set.

Rest in Peace Mr. Russert.

Posted by: PF | June 13, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

58 - much to young to leave us.

I know the heartbreak the Russet family are
feeling and will for a long time.

May Gos bless them!

s

Posted by: Randi Lockwood | June 13, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

What a tragic loss for journalism, and for the country. This and all future election seasons and legislative fights will be poorer because of his absence from the scene. I was also deeply touched by his book "Wisdom of our Fathers," which showed that there was much more than a razor-sharp intellect to this man: He had a big heart. God bless him and his family.

Posted by: Deron Lovaas | June 13, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Tim. You were a pro.

Posted by: Paul | June 13, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I am truly sadden by the death of Tim, I felt like I knew him personlly, he caused me to miss a lot of church services because I just had to see him question people every sunday! He just seemed like he loved people and life, as an african american I just always thought he was fair and of all people and loved people. He was someone I trusted. I will miss him and my prayer are with his family.

Posted by: Terry | June 13, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Instead of these useless obituaries and eulogies from whoever's hot at the moment, why can't you report on how this 58-year-old had a fatal heart attack?

Posted by: Danny | June 13, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Once in every generation a journalist of the highest merit has been blessed upon this country. Edward R. Murrow, Walter Conkrite, and Tim Russert.

Posted by: Bob L | June 13, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Though I live in Idaho, when I watched Tim Russert every Sunday morning on Meet the Press, I felt like I had a front row seat at the center of power in our nation's Capitol. Most importantly, as a viewer, watching and listening to Tim was like having a direct line to the important news and policy shaping our country. Tim exemplified what journalism should be all about -- covering the news and providing for all of us way out in the Idaho's and the world -- the balanced judgment of it. We willl miss him dearly.

Posted by: mpwynn | June 13, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Tim Russert's informative and straight-forward journalism has been part of my weekly routine for as long as I can remember.

I am truly saddened to know my political insight will never be quite the same mix of wit, humor and call it as you see it style of dialog I have come to enjoy.

God Bless Tim - we will miss you.

Posted by: SteveM | June 13, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Neither Sunday morning, election night, nor the political season will ever be the same again. Russert embodied insight, intellect, integrity, and impartiality. Best of all, Russert was always a class act -- a pretty amazing statement for a political junkie! Somewhere at the pearly gates, I imagine St Peter with a dry erase board that said, "Heaven, Heaven Heaven."

Posted by: Michelle | June 13, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

He caught my special attention during the first democratic debates when he got so fired up he even interrupted himself, asking several questions at once and pounding on my candidate, hillary until I got mad at him, but I have to admit he made a big impression and I always have looked forward to what he would say next.
I'll miss him too.

Posted by: arttal | June 13, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I spent my Sunday afternoons watching his webcast - the last thing I did before bedtime. I will miss him. My prayers go to his family friends and colleagues.

Posted by: Sam Azasu | June 13, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Yes they do not question McCain's sexual adventures either.
Republicans always have it easy.

+++++++++++
question the run up the war - i work with a guy who defends veterans - for the Veterans Administration - a 24 year old - 85% burns on his body - his hands are fused together - was just fired - tim russert had a MAJOR platform but did he question the run up to the war???
that the mainstream media help propagandize???

Posted by: did tim | June 13, 2008 6:38 PM

Posted by: Average Joe | June 13, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Tim Russert is a contrast to the bottom feeders:
Hannity,
O Reilly,
Krauthammer et al.

May his soul rest in peace.

Posted by: Average Joe | June 13, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

A great political commentator has passed from our midst. Humorous and intelligent, without guile and pretense (well unpretentious most of the time anyway!!

DARN!! I miss him already. May God help his wife and son at this very difficult time.

Posted by: Daddio on the Paddio | June 13, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Tim Russert was an absolute jewel. Tough but fair. A brillant, ethical man and journalist. I am happy he got a chance to see his son graduate from college. My heartfelt sympathies go out to this family and everyone of us that love him.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

that the mainstream media help propagandize???

Posted by: did tim | June 13, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

This news is devestating. Tim Russert was one of my heroes. I never mistrusted his integrity, nor did I ever see him take a cheap shot at anyone I ever watched him interview. He wasn't there to make the news: but just there to uncover it with the big and honest heart of an inquisitive child. What an amazingly accomplished man to admire, and remember.

Posted by: Mark | June 13, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I learned of Tims passing only an hour ago. I gasped as if I'd just lost a loved one. He's just a year older than me. I watched Meet The Press EVERY SUNDAY. If I missed it in the morning I'd stay up until 3 AM my time to see it repeated. Then I figured out that I could watch the web cast on Sunday evenings. He was THE BEST!!! When he said If It's Sunday, It's Meet The Press my heart revved up in anticipation like the engine of a race car...couldn't wait to see who he had to interview and how he was going to do. My heart-felt sympathy to the Russert Family. As much as I know I'll miss him...I know you'll miss him more!!!

Posted by: Sharon Lattimore | June 13, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I am stunned and saddened. There are darn few journalists I trust to get to the truth on my behalf. Tim Russert was at the top of my list. The last time I saw him Sunday, he was having a lot of fun with the panel on Meet the Press talking politics. I have no idea what I'm going to do for that hour on Sundays.

I'm going to miss you, Mr. Russert.

Posted by: Don Stubbs | June 13, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

John McCain looked very old and disoriented when talking about Russert, like his train of thought kept slipping away. I wonder if he had just woken up, or maybe he's tired or is seriously emotional over this sad happening. Anyway that ball bounces, there was a great lack of mental sharpness.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Truly a great guy will be missed here! Throughout the many years I have watched along with my family, we will miss his enthusiasm and his dogged determination. He was fair, upbeat and on election nights just fresh fare from someone who has been around a long time,always in his delivery was commanding, hail to the chief! We will miss you!

Posted by: Karen W. | June 13, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Well...there it is! I no longer watch 60 minutes since Ed Bradley left....and I'll no longer watch Meet the Press.
RIP Mr. Russert....I just wish I could see you interview the Almighty.
You will be terribly missed.

Posted by: Truth speaker | June 13, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

It is amazing how attached, and accepting you can become to a television personality.

Russert exuded an acceptance of the common man, and he did not seem to be captivated by power or celebrity. His ethical center, balance and judgment was obvious. The things he didn't say were those things that made me want to listen closely to him.

He never appeared to have a secret agenda. His agenda always seemed to be that of uncovering the truth.

Posted by: Phil | June 13, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

One of the better pieces I saw by Tim Russert was his interviewing of the candidates in the 1860 election for the multi media presentation at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum and Library in Springfield, Illinois. It was well done as was his other interview work and wonderful books and like Lincoln he now belongs to the ages.

Posted by: ejgallagher1 | June 13, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts and prayers to the Russert family and to all of those who knew him personally and through his exceptional caring, thoughtful, inquisitive and unparalled interviewing abilities. He will be so very missed and not ever replaced.

Posted by: sherre15 | June 13, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I am saddened by his passing - I really liked his sunday show and I was touched to see that he was moved by the results of the last primary and its historic impact. He was one of the few journalists that was genuinely awed by what was happening. He was too young...condolences to his family and the NBC family.

Posted by: LABC | June 13, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

My friend and I had a date with Tim Russert every Sunday morning,we would call each other all through the program and make comments. We will definately miss him.

Posted by: Dawn | June 13, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Tim - Was the best....the absolute best!

Posted by: latinovoter1 | June 13, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

How shocking and sad. He was so young and happy. I watched his clips online regularly, watched him on tv since I was first politically conscious. I have to watch his fantastic interview on Book Notes C-SPAN archives again. Rest his soul. This historic election will miss his voice and good nature.

Posted by: Earthbound | June 13, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

A punch in the gut, pure and simple. Russert was the best through the years. He will be sorely missed on Sundays and election night.

Posted by: matt | June 13, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Tim was superb, a real leader in political journalism. unfortunately, as a health care professional, i had noticed Tim, and many of my other favorite journalists, carry a lot more weight than is considered healthy. Please, people... take the time to exercise and eat healthy. it will help you withstand the stress of life... hopefully living to enjoy retirement. Rest in peace, Tim.

Posted by: MEF | June 13, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

What I appreciated about Tim is that despite the fact that he had a party affiliation (Democrat), he made to interviews tough on both Democrats and Republicans. I remember my respect for him skyrocketed when he interviewed Al Gore; Al squirmed when Tim pressed him to answer the question "when does life begin?" in regards to the abortion debate.

Rest in peace, Tim.

Posted by: Vladimir Bachynsky | June 13, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Tim Russert was a giant without equals as a political reporter. He will be irreplaceable particularly during this presidential election year. His wit, withering style of questions, and political astuteness are unmatched. What a great role model for a young aspiring journalist to emulate. One of the most endearing qualities of Mr Russert was his ability to relate to his guests. Even after subjecting them to intense cross examinations. He would often bring up a positive personal attribute about one of his guests that would make you want to say wow I didn't know that about that person. To his wife, Big Russ, and son Luke and his other family members, thanks for sharing him with us. He will no doubt join Edward R Murrow, David Brinkley and the other broadcast giants in the big sky above. So this election night on November 4th we will all miss that twinkling Irish smile. Let's hold up a homemade sign which will read T Russert can't be here, but he's wth us in spirit and will be with us in elections to come. Ed Henson

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

There is not a political journalist or interviewer that could top him. He was truly at the height of his game and will be deeply missed.

Posted by: GrueSchenka | June 13, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

its too bad,, but men plan and g-d laughs

Posted by: richard herman | June 13, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

its too bad,, but men plan and g-d laughs

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I am so sad! No election, Sunday Morning, Morning Joe, Today, Countdown or political conversation will ever be the same.
Tim Russert's level of excellence in everything he touched was remarkable.
And he made it fun. I'll miss his smiling face!
My heart goes out to his family.

Posted by: Gail Heller | June 13, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Tim showed all the future journalists how to do it---lets say that we may not exactly know what a good journalist and communicator is, but we certainly know one when we see one---and we did. Thank You Tim Russert.

Posted by: James Lanius | June 13, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how old David Brinkley was when he passed ... all I know ... I feel just as sad ... and would have wished Tim many many good years into retirement. He had lots more to offer as he peeled back the layers on politicians. I always found him purposefully tougher on Democrats than he was on Republicans. Those he truly loved he chided to be better. As a Hilliary supporter I knew what to expect ... and I knew without a doubt that he loved the country as much as he loved Buffalo first and New York.

Posted by: Cy | June 13, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I FIRST HEARD TIM RUSSERT ON THE DON IMUS SHOW AND THEN AFTER THAT I MADE IT A POINT TO LISTEN TO AND TO WATCH TIM WHENEVER I COULD HE WAS THE BEST JOURNALIST BUT MORE IMPORTANT HE WAS A GREAT , GREAT MAN I ALMOST CRIED WHEN I READ THE NEWS ON THE INTERNET HES IRREPLACABLE GOD BLESS TIM GOD BLESS !!!

Posted by: GARY J VARGA | June 13, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I met Mr. Russert once in a local restaurant and felt compelled to shake his hand, knowing he was such a great man and American. I'll think of him every Sunday morning and every time I watch the Buffalo Bills.

Posted by: Jason Notini | June 13, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Tim is going to be really missed. The thing that I liked about him most is that he didn't give anyone any slack. He asked the difficult questions, that others might whisper, but would not be strong enough to ask of the powerful people they interview. For many he was the crucible, in the news industry. When he finished questioning a guest, we had a better idea who they really were because he forced them delve into the essence of their involvement in major issues facing this country. He was a great American. Now we look to younger members of the industry to step-up and continue his legacy, but the older ones who remain now have to get us through this election.

Posted by: Evan | June 13, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

A Honest and Great Journalist. We have lost a very fine human being who helped us understand and make sense of politicians. He was never afraid to hold every politican to the same standards.
I pray to GOD tohelp his family in this difficult times. Sunday mornings will never again be the same.

Posted by: Suresh Muknahallipatna | June 13, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

A big hole is left in the world with out this great man.

Posted by: atonaldan | June 13, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Tim loved everything Buffalo ... not just the Bill but the Sabres of Hockey ... he also loved everything New York ... the Yankees and too the senators from New York.

If there was one corner of the State of New York overlooked it was Buffalo ... Tim was their champion.

Posted by: JakeA | June 13, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

My husband and I are deeply saddened for his family, and we are particularly in anguish for Big Russ - we heard Tim Russert speak two years ago and we have followed his every word since. He is one-of-a-kind, and he will be missed!

Posted by: Kathy McMaken | June 13, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

"If it's Sunday, it's Meet the Press."
I believed it.
How will I get my head wrapped around THIS Sunday?

Posted by: K. Crooms | June 13, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Very very sad day. Mr. Russert was a great journalist. I've never been saddened by the death of a journalist before, but this was a real shock. Sunday mornings will never be the same.

Posted by: jwh37 | June 13, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Like part of the family ... and I loved his tribute to his own father and his father's generation.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and son and ofcourse Big Russ.

Posted by: JakeA | June 13, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Sunday mornings will never be the same again for me. Journey well, Mr Russert.

Posted by: Okey | June 13, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Amazing how fast someone can go from being at top of their game to dead. Do not take things for granted and for those idiots who will post negative comments about Russert, ask yourself if this was your final few hours on earth, would this be how you want to be remembered.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

This is truly sad. I am 33 years old, and watching Mr. Russert on Meet the Press has been part of my Sunday morning routine for as long as I can remember. I've always admired his journalistic skill, charming humor, love of sports, and above all, his dedication to his family. He is irreplaceable.

Posted by: Zainab | June 13, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I am saddened by the death of Tim Russert. Election night will not be the same.

Posted by: Pauline Pittman | June 13, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse