The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Primary Source

Candidate Reacts to Snow's Death

Presumptive GOP presidential nominee Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) issued a statement on the death from cancer this morning of 53-year-old former Bush White House press secretary Tony Snow.

Said McCain: "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Tony Snow. He was a loving father, husband, friend and truly one of America's most gifted commentators. Whether he sat behind a radio mic or stood behind a White House podium, Tony Snow always sought to give the American people new insights into our government, political process and leaders. He asked the tough questions and took them as well. Even when diagnosed with cancer, his fight served as an inspiration to all Americans. In the coming days, we will celebrate the life of a truly great and generous man."

Posted at 12:02 PM ET on Jul 12, 2008  | Category:  Primary Source
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Obama <3 Wilco | Next: Reed, Hagel to Join Obama on Iraq Trip

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Bottom line...I DO SUPPORT the troops.
I believe Tony Snow was a great guy, and I think the Administration has done a good job handling things (perfect...no...good yes).
I know that soup line American is jacked up. I'm sorry you're upset....now get to work fixing your problems.

I wake up every day just like everyone else...put my shoes on...go to work. Decided it is mine to make or break. Dan and Pals think the government needs to take care of them and that businesses (that employ people and make retirement possible) are bad. Hmmm...failed economics?

I personally like millionaires and billionaires..they invest in companies we work for...they buy lots of stuff we make....and oh yeah...they donate money to philanthropitic causes...something I see little of by most people.

Posted by: MakeUsProud | July 14, 2008 7:34 PM

Howie Kurtz is crying over this guy, people would be forgiven to think that there's more than meets the eye.

Posted by: Paul | July 14, 2008 1:08 PM

To Saranc- If you read all the posts I was mocking poster MAKEMEPROUD. This guy is a real tool.He is the one who won't lift a finger.

Posted by: Dan | July 14, 2008 12:34 PM

Of all the ignorant and unrelated things that have been said in this blog, DAN takes the cake with his statement: "But how dare you tell me to go and lift a finger to risk my life. Thats what the poor dumb people are for."

You sound like a completely miserable human being. Why in the world would you think that people would give a damn about what you think after saying something as ignorant as that?

I hope you find something to look forward to and to be thankful for someday. That was one of the most ignorant statements I've ever read.

Posted by: saranc | July 14, 2008 11:35 AM

Finally...a real lowlife finally bites the dirt. I feel so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!I hope this low piece of trash suffered tremendously while he was dying, and visions of the thousands of iraqis that he helped kill were constantly in his eyes. I hope Tony Snow rots in hell for eternity. I hope Bush and Cheney look at this low life person's eyes, and knows that eternal hell and satan is waiting for them too.

Posted by: playa | July 13, 2008 10:25 PM

Make me proud-You don't like America, You hate life. You hate security. You are a socialist. You hate capitalism. You hate tony Snow. You are a bottom feeder. You wake up every morning hating Bush. You are a bottom feeder. I wake up everyday and figure out how i can make more money. You could have a good life!

Posted by: Dan | July 13, 2008 5:47 PM

I was rather disappointed with the amount of time devoted to the death of Tony Snow on This Week with George Stephanopolis this morning.

Stephanopolis made a short mention of it at the end of the panel discussion but none of the panelists were able to make a comment. Then there were some short clips of Snow on the In Memorium segment of the program but that was it.

Meanwhile, Meet the Press devoted quite a bit of time to Tony Snow. Fox News had devoted a lot of time to remembering Tim Russert when he died even though he worked for another network.

I thought it was inadequate and attribute it not necessarily to political bias but to ABC wanting to continue with their planned program and and not deeming the story of Snow's death worthy enough to get them to vary from it.

Again, it seemed pretty inadequate to say the least.

Posted by: danielhancock | July 13, 2008 3:41 PM

Dan...Tony Snow was a good man. Obviously...you don't care for our security. Our military volunteers for the job and they do a dang fine job. They want to win. You want to lose. Call me what you want...but you are a socialist who wants to lose. It's ridiculous. I live a great life...there are ups and downs...but I live a good life in the best country on earth that is stronger when we let capitalism advance and let people be free to be their best.

Capitalism, that you loath, has brought more people out of poverty in this world than any other system. I feel sad for you.

Tony Snow was a good man. And I'm proud of him and the Administration he served....not perfect...definite times when I disagreed...but still out there advancing our freedoms and freedoms for others.

Posted by: makeUsProud | July 13, 2008 1:05 PM

WP Editors:

I would be appreciated if you balance your stories. Today's stories are too sad: You have to balance. There are losses as well as gains; losses are gains as well.

When American consumers lose confidence, it affects the stock market; then it affects global economy. Why can't you think?

I know there are many brilliant writers there, yet your lens is pre-modern. Why do you see the world through the lens that failed the world? We already experienced the 1997 IMF crisis and learned lessons. Then why do you repeat the same mistake?

Everything is connected: Nothing is separate.

The psychology of Americans affects the dynamics of global economy. It also impacts the global financial market. The progress made in Iraq matters to global economy: Economy and national security are not separate.

The issue of withdrawing troops is gone. Why do you write about things that are not issues anymore? Please change your lens and upgrade the way you think.

Thank you.

Posted by: Premier | July 13, 2008 8:31 AM

I don't think Obama even knows how many members there are in Congress. There are 100 Senators, which John McCain is has 1% of the power, with the House of Representatives there are 435 Members, making the total 535 Lawmakers, making John McCain's total power less than .20%

Obama is Greener than the Grass in America's lawn!

Posted by: Obama's 30 year insult to McCain | July 13, 2008 6:39 AM

I'm very sorry for his family.

But one who lies and deceives on behalf on a bankrupt ideology ultimately has a corrosive effect on democracy. That cannot be ignored.

Albert Speer was Hitler's architect, and he was suave and debonair, and although he was responsible for countless misery through his use of slave labor, he got a light sentence at Nuremberg while others went away for life or to the gallows.

Bottom line is that a fascist who plays Cary Grant is still a fascist.

Posted by: Bush Crime Familiy Consigliere | July 13, 2008 3:54 AM

To the "tolerant" left bashing another human being in his death...You should be ashamed! What a bunch of hypocrites! Your hatred and loathing towards others who think and live differently than you truly disgusts me. I'm sorry to say that throughout my life, I've discovered "conservatives" to be the more tolerant and compassionate group. Tony Snow was a decent man. A good man. Being a republican or supporter of our commander-in-chief does not make you evil or ignorant. May peace and fortitude be with Tony's family; especially his children, as they grieve the loss of their father.

Posted by: LAnneO | July 13, 2008 2:22 AM

Good riddance...!

Posted by: Truth...! | July 13, 2008 1:31 AM

I was saddened to learn of Tony Snow's death. Although, I am a proud democrat, I always thought Mr.Snow was a class act.
Condolences to his family and friends.

Posted by: susan | July 13, 2008 1:15 AM

Condolences to his family and friends.

Posted by: susan | July 13, 2008 1:15 AM

I find it Ironic that Bush banned stem cell research. Typical! Enjoy hell Tony!

Posted by: steve | July 13, 2008 12:19 AM

You know, I should feel sad at a man's death, but I cannot find that sentiment inside me.
At Fox and as Press Secretary, he was a propagandist for a corrupt administration, one that has maimed, tortured and killed countless thousands of people, libeled and defamed others, all because of self-interest, limited empathy and intellect and gross incompetence.
The fact that people loved and or liked him is beside the point. There is no excuse for taking part in a vast criminal conspiracy, no matter what the role played.
No tears here.

Posted by: Mark | July 13, 2008 12:06 AM

Why won't you go to Iraq? Lets hear your spin!

Posted by: Dan | July 12, 2008 11:20 PM

What does the dems,socialism,freeing people have to do with you being a socialpath Chickenhawk. I have friends in Iraq-god your a pathetic loser chickenhawk. Just shut up and go to Iraq you little chicken hawk baby!

Posted by: Dan | July 12, 2008 11:14 PM

Just another elite Chickenhawk who labels other people. "Wake up and get another beer" this guy is a loser Bush loving neo-con who has no balls to go to Iraq. Do you realize people are laughing at you chickenhawk. Shut up and go to Iraq!

Posted by: Dan | July 12, 2008 11:10 PM

To Make us proud-Millions of people freed because of Bush? Thousands of Iraqi poeple died becuase of Bush. Thousands of US soilders too. Your grasping at straws. Trying to "shock" me with false aquisations. You are a CHICKENHAWK!Very weak man willing to let other poeple die while you scream socialisim! Sorry I'm not a bottom feeder either. If I am, your the bottom. I don't care about the Deomcrats or Pelosi-They should have impeached Bush. Sorry i'm unaffected by your ploy.I am for drug testing but against wire tapping. Bush likes that you have the "nothing to hide" atitude. First wiretapping then torture-Hey why not?
You are a fool to buy into the republican agenda. Life could be good for you too. I am not mad, I just think your a chicken hawk. You like that other poeple die for your beliefs. I can't understand why your not in Iraq. I think your a coward! Sorry not a socialist either. I But I think you are socialpath chickenhawk. Again you need to stop assuming and go to Iraq. Please just shut up and go to iraq. You are a chickenhawk who doesn't care about anyone but yourself. Ainsult to your friends!

Posted by: Dan | July 12, 2008 11:04 PM

DAN....Ummm...Bush can't do anything unless his congress approves it. Thus....the people you voted for voted for it too. And it was the right thing. Are you trying to convince people that the democrats care about the military? How many millions of women and children are free because of this President and our military? Oh...that's right...he doesn't fit your global warming, blame it on the US, we're big bad capitalists agenda.

Call me a chickenhawk will you? Fine. Go get another beer you deadbeat dad. I bet you wake up and say whoa is me...big bad Bushie is messing up my life. I wake up every morning and think...how can I make myself more valuable? How can I make the owner of my company a Billion dollars...because that guy has the NUTS to put in on the line...unlike you. You are a bottom feeder of society. Blame people losing their houses on Bush because they overextended themselves....yeah right.
'
Wiretapping...good. I hope they hear me....nothing to hide. You selling something illegal and don't want the government to know? Same for drug tests at work...I bet you;'re against them too. The Bush Administration could care less about your pathetic phone conversations Dan. I'm pretty sure...that is the NSA or whomever is listening to me...they are laughing hard because I just love to talk about your beloved Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid - Dumb and Dumber - 9% approval rating. Doing a great job they are.

Everything you write is about what the government is going to do for you. You're mad because the government is there to protect us...but not force Detroit into making anything...or giving you a free house because you are stupid...or making companies uncompetitive by TAXING THEM harder (i.e. taking away capital). You are a socialist A$$ Dan. I feel bad for you because you wake up an need a nanny state to wipe your A$$ every day. You bought into the democrat lie of nanny state government. I think you can have a better life if you'd believe in yourself.

Why don't you invent the next technology to get away from oil? Why does someone else have to do it?
Oh....and by the way....I really do have friends in Iraq. And they love this country and really are disappointed in people like you. But they still will defend you.

Posted by: makeUsProud | July 12, 2008 9:32 PM

May God rest his soul.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Posted by: TK | July 12, 2008 9:16 PM

8)color code alert
9)Its clintons fault
10)Were making progress
11)mission accomplished
12)The dems won't let me drill for oil
13)Liberal media
14)aint no WMD's here (bush in the oval office)
15)The tax cuts are working
16)ecomonic stimulis
17)surge

please feel free to add more to the list chickenhawks!

Posted by: Dan | July 12, 2008 8:33 PM

"You know I have friends in Iraq" I know where Iraq is and have a ribbon on my car. But how dare you tell me to go and lift a finger to risk my life. Thats what the poor dumb people are for. Homeless poeple are lazy and retarded people are faking it. Now leave my country now so i can blame it on the libs!

Posted by: Dan | July 12, 2008 8:03 PM

Liberal is a general "term" used to kill. I am not a liberal. You don't even know the meaning of it. But you like to blame all opposition on the liberals. Hey its the liberals "Lets kill something" Darn liberasls. No Gov't help for katrina victims but plenty of Gov't help for Iraq! Everyone supported Iraq because bush lied about wmd's. He stood behind 911 and used fear to persuade the masses. now the iraqi's want the USA out. I suggest you go to Iraq and pick up a gun and spread freedom. You sound like a chicken hawk. You like other people to die for your cause. House forclosures-Bush has borrowed billions for his Iraq invasion. dollar is worth nothing. Bush's tax cuts have weakened the dollar. We are missing billions in taxes from the big oil companies. Consumer confidence is low which reflects on jobs and buying homes. Other energy resources-Bush is trying to destroy the the tax benefit plan for alternative energies. Bush has never told detroit to develope more fuel effiecent engines. Liberal media-If we had a liberal media we would have helmet cams on the soilders who die in iraq. Bush won't let the media cover the caskets coming back from iraq. Bush won't attend the funerals. Our media coverage is little child stuck in the well. Do know how much coverage bush lying about wmd's got last month? Nothing. This is a media controled by big business which is tied to bush. Do you like our 4th amendment being taking away to let Bush tap our phones. 911 happeened on bush's watch and Bin Laden is still free? No you should leave the country to go fight in Iraq you chicken hawk!

Posted by: Dan | July 12, 2008 7:55 PM

Dan...you really do hate America don't you? Katrina....hey...a big Hurricane is coming and people sit on their A$$es. Great...more of the liberal "please government take care of me" mindset.

Iraq...last I looked dang near everyone supported us going in. But then...it was easy for libs to support it then. Now...it's a sham (although...we haven't been attacked). I notice OBAMA is softening his position now too. Hmm. BTW...I have friends in Iraq and work to hire people from the military that served in Iraq. Funny how their story differs from the drive by media accounting of events (yeah...even Lieberman is ousted for his support).

It's the government's fault (and Bush's) because of foreclosures? What dumba$$ buys a house they can't afford? I guess libs?

Gas prices? Yup...they suck...yup....300 million Chinese want cars. Get over it. Why aren't we developing our resources? That's right...you're against big oil...that works to make the thing we need accessible (while being a good investment for hundreds of millions).

Dang it Bush...GDP rose...tax breaks and still the treasury saw more money.

You want nanny state...tear up your citizenship and move somewhere else. Otherwise...this is NOT the UNITED SOCIALIST STATES OF AMERICA. Still the good old capitalist USA (I know that jacks you...cause you want to sit on your dead butt and get everything handed to you).

Posted by: MakeUsProud | July 12, 2008 7:28 PM

His smarmy feel good, "somebody else is doing the fighting and we are winning", will live in my memory forever. Just to think if he were reaaly worth his salt he could have died on the battlefield.

Posted by: AndrHillz | July 12, 2008 7:20 PM

To make us proud. If we are winning in Iraq then why don't you go over there along with Hannity and rush limbaugh. Katrina, gas prices, billions in debt, housing fore closures. Bush is a idiot. When are you going to Iraq? I mean c'mon were winning. Now watch out for those liberals and flip floppers. Those great label that have helped Bush kill thousands. No wmd's. Bush is a liar! Tony Snow was a part of the Bush machine to help spread his lies. I don't feel bad that is man is dead. He has helped killed many.

Posted by: Dan | July 12, 2008 6:51 PM

Brit Hume is one of the fairest Fox commentators, but did not compare to Tony Snow. May his family find peace in their grief over their beloved.

Posted by: Jimbo | July 12, 2008 6:51 PM

I guess I will throw it my two cents on Tony Snow as well. It is a rare thing when you see someone who was born to do a specific thing actually doing it. He will be the model of a press secretary for years to come. Snow was a natural at being a press secretary.

Before his second stint at the White House he had a talk radio show as well. It was informative without the bombast of other talk shows. If a conspiratorial whack job on the left or the right called in, Snow would politely end the conversation and move on.

He was also one of the first faces of Fox News as the host of Fox News Sunday. The panel discussions he moderated were serious but as congenial as friends talking over coffee.

When he left the White House as press secretary the second time he said that he wanted to spend more time with his family. I hoped that it was true but I feared it had something to do with his health.

I am sure he rankled a few feathers because he was the spokesperson for an unpopular president but even those who were annoyed be him surely recognized that he was very good at what he did and a good family man as well.

He left all too soon.

Posted by: danielhancock | July 12, 2008 6:12 PM

I was dismayed - I thought Mr. Snow was beating his cancer.

I'm three years older, and am cancer free after a harrowing 18 months of treatment.

I also was disheartened by the death of Dan Fogleberg, whom I new.

One's 50's SHOULD be the prime of life.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 5:49 PM

I love it....Bush deserves cancer because he's "an idiot?" What a statement. Hey...last I looked Ted Kennedy has cancer....I guess good riddens to him?

I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone.

And...this isn't soup line America. We're winning in Iraq....no attacks since 911....record treasury receipts....GDP increases every year...finally... a President that gets something done!

I know...you're still jacked because he won twice....

Posted by: MakeUsProud | July 12, 2008 5:05 PM

I think Tony Snow was a class act. All politicians should have a conscience like Mr. Snow exhibited.

Condolences to his family.

AND I'M VOTING FOR OBAMA!

Posted by: Daddio on the Paddio | July 12, 2008 3:49 PM

Though I loathe Republicans for all they have done to ruin the lives of so many people and destroy our once great country, Tony Snow seemed half way decent for a Republican. 53 is young and cancer sucks, sad to hear he lost his fight. It should have been the idiot Bush, think of all the lives that would improve instantly with that stupid idiot gone. Bush is a cancer himself to the world.

Posted by: Democrats 08 | July 12, 2008 3:45 PM