The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Making the Rounds

John McCain and the Applesauce Aisle

By Garance Franke-Ruta
There's been a great deal of online and televised merry-making at Sen. John McCain's expense over a video clip of him going food shopping yesterday in Bethlehem, Penn., while Sen. Barack Obama was in Berlin. The wags at 23/6 Media have gone so far as to dub McCain's remarks on the surge of troops in Iraq delivered in the cheese aisle of a supermarket his "Dairy Case Address." Now further footage from that fateful trip -- featuring an applesauce avalanche, above, has hit the blogs.

This is an instance of television leading the way for the online masses. The applesauce clip was played by CNN yesterday, then picked up by Comedy Central's "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" last night (the McCain segment starts 3:05 minutes in). And it's still making the rounds on TV -- MSNBC just played the clip this afternoon.

Posted at 6:20 PM ET on Jul 25, 2008  | Category:  Making the Rounds
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: McCain Meets with Dalai Lama | Next: Obama's Balancing Act

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Vetted: Slices cut in the front of a hot girl's shirt. One that is not wearing a bra. UsuMa Who is doing that? Bill Gates?

I have no savings. But I do have a VA account. Thanks WP for the forum!

Posted by: LaneDecore | August 3, 2008 1:29 AM

Places everyone! President Drudge is almost in the room...

Silence!!!!!!!!!

Ya you over there shut up. That's right you. Security!

Posted by: Drudge/Gonzo o8' | August 2, 2008 6:14 PM

Area 51 is not actually an area. Not in Idaho, anyways. Out here, we think of area 51 as a badge, yes a stinking badge!

Wow, I think I just saw it. Three nations--Russia, America and Iraq.

Russia goes bankrupt due to overspending in the military.

America walked over to another park and slam dunked on a really big guy in the court.

Iraq--Lookin good!

Contact a FBI or government official and ask him those questions. Say, "What do you think about Iraq?"

We don't have a lot of FBI guys in Idaho, but I think they would say, "That is a matter of national security, and I am unable to comment on Iraq at this time."

See, my answers are better so in a way you are getting better answers from me. Area 51 is my badge. Some people at the very very top of the govt like Orrin Hatch may be listening. And they want regular citizen to join the fight in the FBI, but they can't recruit everyone.

So Orrin, where is my badge? It's in area 51, go get it.

Now I will be more inclined to eating cereal and engaging in other harmless activities.

Quote from the movie:

"I believe it."

Posted by: Area 51 vs Psybot | August 2, 2008 2:46 PM

Larry Craig is scheduled to appear in court on September 10, 2008. It's sad that McCain is letting this issue remain on the back burner. It's like he is holding a carrot out for a friend, or he is blind to the matter at hand.

Very sad. Mr. Craig is a victim of police bs. I pray that the men involved with this case, unless it is an inside job, find pictures laying around that little busty jewish girls draw. I miss you. :)

Posted by: Free Larry! | August 2, 2008 2:24 AM

Brilliant expose', LibbyLefty.
Submitted by ConservoDem on Sun, 07/27/2008 - 11:07am.
Thanks for telling me facts I already knew (plus your opinion about the "lib"ness of McClatchy papers) Try a little research of your own (e.g., "Truth & Duty")

Go get a tissue, sweetie.

Login or register to post comments
and your other point...right wing?
Submitted by LibLeft on Sun, 07/27/2008 - 11:31am.
Notice total wealth of the top 12 Demo senators totals more than all the remaining 88 senators. Right wingers huh?

Senate millionaires
Maria Cantwell, D-Washington: $1,264,999
Barbara Boxer, D-California: $1,172,003
Orrin Hatch, R-Utah: $1,086,023
Mary Landrieu, D-Louisiana: $1,080,014
Bill Nelson, D-Florida: $1,073,014
Charles Grassley, R-Iowa: $1,016,024

The curious mind of J. McCain.

Posted by: Broke vs. Psy | August 2, 2008 2:19 AM

Breast cancer deaths in America have been declining for more than a decade. Much of that success is due to early detection and better treatments for women. I strongly encourage women to get a mammogram.
-Larry Craig

Posted by: Anonymous | August 2, 2008 12:16 AM

McCain says I was wrong in code. Okay, I have another idea. What if it was a top down suicide. A four chamber ordeal to help a man who is aging.

If I am right, please post a story about a pixie.

To the left is life. There are no traps. You go to your room and life goes.

To the right is potential death. A man awaits. No one knows who he is except for himself.

Robert knows the spot. He stands there. If he looks to the left, he gets shot. If he looks straight, he should smile. If he looks left, he walks away. Just like his brother, his programme did come on El Vira.

Slamming trunks, missing heads... terrible year.

Posted by: Bittertooth vs. RFKpsr | August 1, 2008 8:29 PM

Three guys. RFK, Morales and bald guy. RFK tells Morales he is not in charge, and he says the same to the other.

Morales since he is not in charge decides to test the area. He scopes it out.

Tall police officer talked with CIA probably bald guy. I am as well.

Or he was contacted by a third CIA man. Because he shone brighter than the rest.

Many, many hands... that was good.

Oh, I just watched RFK assination stuff and it was good. Will I do it? No, it has already been done. OOoooo the mob looked good. Did they do it?

Posted by: Simpletooth | August 1, 2008 2:42 AM

Once?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 7:34 PM

Obama is green, white and black.

Black Velvet News:

----

Tim Russert attempts to assinate private citizen. He laughs then a spirit rolled him unto the ground. Call it a heart attack if you wish.

-----

Lots of trees there.

---------

No news from McCain on when he is going to contact me or my sources. My primary request is to cease all monitoring activities. I can not move without thinking I am being followed.

------------------

Police harrassment at an all time high. Pregnant man attacks as well as law enforment having sex with the help.

-----------------

Check sirius for exciting updates. 33 is now 38.

Posted by: Bittertooth | July 31, 2008 7:31 PM

Who will be chosen as the Democratic vice presidential candidate?

Your prediction: Chances are equal/greater than 10.53% for John Edwards Liquidate • Closing: August 25, 2008 @ 09:00 AM PDT shares owned:468
total spent:$2,331.14
type of trade:long
current price:$0.70
unchanged VEEPSTAKES: Who will McCain choose as his VP running mate?

Your prediction: Chances are equal/greater than 1.13% for Kay Bailey Hutchison
Liquidate • Closing: August 20, 2008 @ 12:00 PM PDT shares owned:700
total spent:$266.56
type of trade:long
current price:$1.19
unchanged

Who will win the 2008 U.S. presidential election?
Your prediction: Chances are equal/greater than 33.55% for John McCain
Liquidate • Closing: November 04, 2008 @ 12:00 PM PST

Posted by: CNN predictions | July 31, 2008 2:27 PM

Hello. Good luck. :)

Posted by: Psyfer Jes | July 31, 2008 3:21 AM

This gun was developed by the M9 in England. Who are the M9? They are like George Bush times 9 plus a touchdown.

"I am the alpha male." --I am ready to cash that in yesterday.

The razor gun cuts fingers off. It is a neat little gadget. I have never seen one in real life, only in dreams. In very dangerous situations it is nice to have an element of surprise. Imagine that you and your enemy are face to face. Life and blood on the line. You look at Rebel Commander Chris making sandwiches and looking innocent. What do you do? Stop Russian, stop!

When you go to fire, M9 developed a gun that shoots out a razor like a switchblade knife. The razor cuts the finger off of the shooter. I may have seen the effects of this gun.

I am in a bubble, and there is no blogging my way out.

The next shot is good. So if you get one of these guns keep on shooting. My Dad in a dream tricked DJ into showing him how the gun works. So intense, he saw the razor and it didn't cut off his finger. Then he told Dionne, go ahead and shoot. Dionne thought he would get his finger cut off again. He was trying to trick my Dad. Instead a bullet was fired. Dionne didn't know that the razor had already been deployed by DJ.

The men in black told me that George Bush would be strong enough mentally to get his finger cut off, and still use the other hand to get a shot off. I do not George Bush. What little I do know scares me. He said "God Fearing Americans".

I do not like the Bushes and I don't think I ever will.

The McCains are the best best we have by far.

Obama may surprise us, if McCain even exists.

Posted by: Bittertooth vs Razor Gun | July 30, 2008 2:30 AM

Psy has no response. He is outraged that you would attempt to rat out anyone in bold.

Kendra, check out the other site to compare. Ratting me out might work, it is a time a cost effective strategy. But for rizzle, if you want to win the nobel piece prize can't you think of a better way?

Posted by: Bittertooth sawKendra | July 29, 2008 2:37 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 7:40 AM

This topic is idiotic.

Razor gun stories as soon as I catch my breath.

We've troops fighting on two fronts overseas,

You are correct and who you are is unknown. I will not let that hinder my assault.

a current president who cherry-picked intelligence

"to justify a war in Iraq, a justice department who used political affiliation to choose amongst qualified applicants, a VP"

I am chopping up what you say and changing it completely. What is above is pure and I have not read it. I will vote yes or no. Let's see. Yes Because I like to wipe my butt. I just go by tp. iNSIDe Geez why do you even bother. Kendra on way. Losing mind.

who outed a CIA agent on a vendetta

CIA agents should be able to handle vendettas and berrettas.

, a president who authorized illegal wiretapping

Ask Craig on this. Because my brain is friends with the taps on the agents penis. Let 4 women look.

of US citizens and the torture ... and we are actually discussing applesauce falling off a shelf in a grocery store. WaPo should be ashamed. That's odd.

Once a man tied his shoes to dsee what he could find. He found that all he saw were little girls who wanted to please and entrap him. He said to one of the m please stopping you are killing me. Bu thte withc es said to him you alrea are almost there already. Its not true you cant[t live forevere. Yes yuou can if you tire. aAN dnnANdhe wHe will make it all of his term if elected unless my brother shoots hi.,

Posted by: Bittertooth vs. Psy36 | July 29, 2008 7:38 AM

This was even funnier - Laugh Out Loud funny and I thought the McCain antics were a nice touch - given that it was satired and all

Posted by: Sarah B | July 29, 2008 5:16 AM

This topic is idiotic. We've troops fighting on two fronts overseas, a current president who cherry-picked intelligence to justify a war in Iraq, a justice department who used political affiliation to choose amongst qualified applicants, a VP who outed a CIA agent on a vendetta, a president who authorized illegal wiretapping of US citizens and the torture ... and we are actually discussing applesauce falling off a shelf in a grocery store. WaPo should be ashamed.

Posted by: David | July 28, 2008 2:33 PM

Psy35:

What are you talking about?!

Posted by: JakeD | July 28, 2008 12:39 PM

Do you mean that the avalanche is a video clip that has been doctored to make McCain look old, and uncoordinated. Shame on any newsource that would disgrace a war hero.

Posted by: bittertooth | July 27, 2008 1:22 AM

Some gaffes aren't gaffes until the video is edited...

Posted by: Vince | July 27, 2008 12:38 AM

No ring at my door, so time's up.

And even challenge. How about overpower?

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site.

The constitution is a dead document.

Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.

CIA fact? 20 million deaths.

Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.

FE PS is P.S. I will run you over like a train. choooo chooooooooooo

Was that a Secret Service agent rushing in to protect McCain against the avalanche?

Posted by: JakeD | July 25, 2008 6:36 PM

You think mccain was trying to hit on that single mama? He didn't look too interested or happy in loading her cart with groceries.

Posted by: the racist mccains | July 25, 2008 6:34 PM

Are you kidding me?! That clip where McCain's head was on Colbert's body is HILARILOUS!!!!

Posted by: JakeD | July 25, 2008 6:29 PM

Even Colbert could not make McCain exciting.

Posted by: | July 25, 2008 6:27 PM

Has anyone seen "The Colbert Report" MAKE MCCAIN EXCITING contest?

Posted by: JakeD | July 25, 2008 6:25 PM

Posted by: Psy35 | July 27, 2008 12:33 AM

McCain's campaign gets more and more pathetic by the minute. He can't win on the issues so now he's trying to Rove his way to victory. Unfortunately for him, America isn't falling for this crap a third time. McCain needs to just hang 'em up. He's already tarnished what was once an admirable career. Sad really.

Posted by: Medicine Man | July 26, 2008 10:53 PM

All the smear that once so offended the Democrats when Bush did it, is now okay in the name of Obama.

The Obamaphiles are worse than the old Bush gang.

McCain was once famously slandered out of the Republican primaries. That's beginning to look like sandlot baseball compared to the stuff coming from Obama's disciples.

Posted by: Vince | July 26, 2008 10:38 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 26, 2008 8:43 PM

THE MEDIA TRAVELED WITH OBAMA ALL AROUND THE WORLD LOOKING FOR A STORY OF A BIG GAFFE AND THERE WASN'T ANY. NOW THERE TRYING TO MAKE THEIR OWN GAFFES ON HIS SPEECH IN BERLIN. ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HIM SEEMING TO PERSUMPTIOUS, AND AMERICAN VOTERS MIGHT NOT LIKE IT. NOBODY TOLD THE MEDIA THEY SHOULD GO WITH HIM AROUND THE WORLD HOPING FOR A BIG STORY AND BE UPSET THAT THEY DIDN'T GET ONE. IF THEY WANTED A STORY THEY SHOULD HAVE STAYED HOME WITH MCCAIN HE'S MADE GAFFES ALL WEEK. MCCAIN SAID THAT IRAQ BORDERS AFGANISTAN, MCCAIN SAID THAT THE SURGE BEGAN THE ANBAR AWAKENING AND HE SAID THAT A 16 MONTH TIMETABLE WAS A PRETTY GOOD IDEA. HOWEVER, THESE WERE GAFFES ON MCCAIN AND NOT OBAMA, THEREFORE THEIR NOT IMPORTANT. ONLY OBAMA'S GAFFES GET PLAYED ON THE AIR REPEATEDLY. SOON THEY WILL START RUNNING POLLS OF OBAMA'S WORLD TRIP. ITS FUNNY HOW THE MEDIA CRITICIZES OBAMA'S SUCCESS ABROAD WITH ALL OF THE FANS AND ANXIOUS LEADERS AROUND THE WORLD HOPING FOR AN OBAMA ADMINISTRATION AS BEING PRESUMPTIOUS INSTEAD OF THE RESULT OF A GREAT LEADER. MAYBE THE MEDIA LIKES THE IDEA OF HAVING OUR PRESIDENT HATED OR DON'T WANT TO BE THE BEACON OF HOPE AROUND THE WORLD AFTER ALL.

SEE MCCAIN EAT HIS WORDS AND SIGN ON TO OBAMAS 16 MONTH WITHDRAWL.

MCCAIN SAID A 16 MONTH TIMETABLE IN IRAQ WOULD BE A PRETTY GOOD IDEA:
WATCH

Posted by: Anonymous | July 26, 2008 8:43 PM

Obama went bowling, looked like a complete buffoon, and bowled what, a 37? The media looked away. I have seen no "bowling" videos making the rounds online. The supermarket visit wasn't buffoonish, it was the media spin that has called it as much.

Look at the video of the applesauce tumbling two inches to the floor, think about it's widespread characterization as an "avalanche" which McCain had to be "saved" from, and honestly ask yourself why.

It's the theatre of the absurd, but the star isn't McCain, it's the media.

Posted by: Vince | July 26, 2008 8:07 PM

This goes along with Gene Robinson's Friday column on "luck" not being about luck at all. Sen. McCain's staff disastrously staged events all week -- betwen the kraut haus, going to a cancer event to remind us all of his melanoma risks to planning a visit to an oil rig during a hurricane. Yes, it was bad "luck" that the storm came but anybody with a brain knows it's that season; yes it didn't look like McCain knocked down the applesauce but you sent him into a freakin' supermarket to stroll around the aisles? What did they expect? This is hilarious ... and JakeD for once I agree with you ... the Colbert Make McCain Exciting challenge was fabulous -- I like the Madonna "Vogue" video with McCain's head on a bunch of her dancers (his speech actually rhymed with her verse) and for some insane reason there's one with a squirrel attacking a bird feeder that just knocks me out. Priceless....

Posted by: straight talk my a** | July 26, 2008 7:57 PM

Sen. McCain needs to take more naps.

Posted by: Ben Dover | July 26, 2008 1:42 PM

See the little blue box above the Comments section? "The Trail"? Look at the story list. Near the bottom is one about McCain meeting with the Dalai Lama -- placed *below* the applesauce story. That says it all.

McCain could meet with God, and they'd squeeze it in between the applesauce story and the Dalai Lama.

...and the God story would focus on the way he ties his shoes, and how that shows what a befuddled old man he is.

Posted by: Vince | July 26, 2008 1:39 PM

Actually, McCain corrected himself midsentence and changed the word he used to "horizon", but you won't be finding that mentioned in many of the media stories that will be flying around about it in the next few days. Every quote I've seen so far only quotes a fragment of his sentence, leaving out his correction every time. Every time.

Posted by: Vince | July 26, 2008 1:24 PM

During a CNN interview with Wolf Blitzer and Mccain. Mccain said that a 16 months timetable to withdrawl from Iraq was a good Idea. Mccain has never agreed to any timetable. Now that Pres. Bush, PM Maliki has signed on to Obama's 16 month strategy now Mccain has also signed on. Mccain also is in denial. Wolf asked Mccain if he was president and PM Maliki persist on a 16 month withdrawl what would he do? Mccains answer was he wont because He know PM Maliki very well and he knows he has elections comming up. Therefore, Mccain is saying that Maliki is calling for a timetable to withdrawl from Iraq to win an election. Why else would he say, I know him, He wont persist on a withdrawl from Iraq, and he has elections comming up.

Posted by: Greg | July 26, 2008 1:07 PM

Please tell me the number of americans that have any confidence in McCain is dropping! If it weren't so sad (and scary) it would be funny - but the reality of it is that some will still vote for this bumbling and incompetent candidate - McCain is just in way way way over his head.

This video is a gleaming example of what McCain has become. It's sad actually.

Posted by: JDB | July 26, 2008 12:06 PM

Here's a telling little epilogue: I just read on another blog (also mocking McCain) that it was actually a member of the media that knocked over the applesauce.

So the media follow him to the grocery store, knock over shelf stock, and then make the whole thing a story of what a goof McCain is.

Pretty much sums up the media's role in this campaign.

Worth noting: despite the infatuation of the European public and the American media, the American voters are decidedly undecided. This is a tight race, with some polls showing a 2-point gap -- within the margin of error.

Applesauce stories only serve to reveal the small-mindedness of the media and Obama's followers.

Posted by: Vince | July 26, 2008 11:54 AM

I saw some of the out takes of that. He makes a comment about the price of eggs as he is reading from notes he has in his hand.

-----

McDufus is always messing everything up. Where he goes , nothing seems to work right. All the water runs backward as do the electrical appliances. This is the Republican way. Did you notice McNasty didn't know anything about grocery shopping either. He probablt hasn't went grocery shopping since they used the old mechanical cash registers.

Posted by: McDufus | July 26, 2008 10:53 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 26, 2008 11:00 AM

Posted by: McDufus | July 26, 2008 10:53 AM

I read a couple of blurbs about this incident. They describe McCain being saved from an "avalanche" of shelf food that he didn't even notice. Then I watched the video... Three or four cans fell off the bottom shelf, McCain turns right around, and the mess is cleaned up.

It is beyond silly to make hay out of this video. It's been completely mischaracterized, and it's just another example of the media's determination to make McCain look bad. They'll put a negative spin on "Good Morning" if it comes out of McCain's mouth. If Obama says it, it's profound.

Posted by: Vince | July 26, 2008 9:15 AM

John McCain is a nice man, but he is running the Campaign from Hell. He does not know what he is doing.

Posted by: FilmMD | July 26, 2008 5:12 AM

Straight talk is about cutting and pasteing..

Without that .. well it is just buffle and fluffle to fill in where facts are being misrepresented.

This is a straight talking confusion fest

Posted by: Diego | July 26, 2008 3:37 AM

awkward...

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | July 26, 2008 3:14 AM

- ARE REPUBLICANS REALLY DETERMINED TO WIN THIS ELECTION?

... perhaps not.

------------------------

Posted by: Anonymous | July 26, 2008 1:19 AM

Could John do a spot as Mr Whipple?

Posted by: ceflynline@msn.com | July 25, 2008 11:33 PM

If the Demorats did not want McCain in office, then they should not have nominated Obama. Hello President McCain!

Posted by: DEM now IND
***********************
I fell asleep in my own drool...at least I think it was my drool

Posted by: DEM now IND but always DUMB | July 25, 2008 11:01 PM

Lonewacko, trying to drum up traffic to your site? awwwww....

Posted by: 2008 | July 25, 2008 10:59 PM

McCain has been complaining about being ignored by the press...However, he blew off an invitation to speak at Unity (a quadrennial conference for 7000+ journalists of color) this Sunday. It will be broadcasted live on CNN at noon EST. Senator Obama will be there. In 2004, both Bush and Kerry attended.

Stop your whinning Senator McCain!

Posted by: andi | July 25, 2008 10:29 PM

GFR: have you considered getting a real job with a real news reporting organization rather than just linking to same cutesy videos as everyone else?

At least Newsweek is trying to do real McCain reporting:

And, for balance, perhaps you could ask your supervisor if they'd let you ask BHO about this outrageous lie:

I mean, really: BHO has a lie in a prominent place on his website, he's said that same lie in speeches, and still the WaPo is too corrupt to call him on it. What does he need to do, put up an "I'm a liar" neon sign?

Stop linking to stupid videos, start doing some real reporting.

Posted by: LonewackoDotCom | July 25, 2008 10:29 PM

Posted by: DEM now IND | July 25, 2008 9:44 PM

Geritol is on aisle 9! ;~)

Posted by: RAT-The | July 25, 2008 8:45 PM

I think Mccain while he was there was doing a little shopping for himself. Some Applesauce, prunes, preparation-h and the Depends are on sale.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 25, 2008 8:22 PM

Today on a Cnn interview Mccain was asked if he was president and PM Maliki was still the PM and insisted on the troops leaving would he agree with him. Mccain first accused Maliki of saying he wanted a troop withdrawl to win the election in Iraq, Yet another attack from Mccain stating everybody is willing to lose a war to win an election. This was the same attack he accused Obama . Mccain went on to say that Maliki wanted a 16 month withdrawl according to conditions on the ground inwhich Maliki didn't say was was conditional. Then he said he knows PM Maliki very well and said he wouldn't withdrawl the troops. Wolf Splitzer asked why not and Mccain said he wont. I think Mccain is being very arrogant and he is guilty of the same attackes he accusing Obama of the surge. Mccain has not acknowledge that President Bush and Maliki has agreed to a timetable for withdrawl and PM Malikits latest statements of wanting the troops out in 2010. Mccain also without hesitation said he would move the capital of Isreal to Jeruselum as soon as he became president. You guys really need to see this interview with Mccain and Wolf Blitzer Mccain has made allot of controversial statements..

Posted by: Greg | July 25, 2008 7:07 PM

to the music of "Walk like an Egyptian".

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | July 25, 2008 7:04 PM

Yes, America would be in a bigger mess with Obama as President. That's why I predict he will not be sworn in on January 20, 2009.

Posted by: JakeD | July 25, 2008 6:43 PM

Could America be in a bigger mess!?

Republicans have us at war in two countries as a result of Republican lies and deceptions, and we might be in two more wars--Iran and Pakistan--by November. We have alienated the entire Muslim world and most of the rest.

The dollar has lost 60% of its value against the euro, and the once mighty dollar is losing its reserve currency role.

The Republicans' policies have driven up the price of both oil and gold by 400%.

Inflation is in double digits. Employment is falling.

The Republican economy in the 21st century has been unable to create net new jobs for Americans except for low wage domestic services such as waitresses, bartenders, retail clerks and hospital orderlies.

Republican deregulation brought about fraud in mortgage lending and dangerous financial instruments which have collapsed the housing market, leaving a million or more homeowners facing foreclosure. The financial system is in disarray and might collapse from insolvency.

The trade and budget deficits have exploded. The US trade deficit is larger than the combined trade deficits of every deficit country in the world.

The US can no longer finance its wars or its own government and relies on foreign loans to function day to day. To pay for its consumption, the US sells its existing assets--companies, real estate, toll roads, whatever it can offer--to foreigners.

Republicans have run roughshod over the US Constitution, Congress, the courts and civil liberties. Republicans have made it perfectly clear that they believe that our civil liberties make us unsafe--precisely the opposite view of our Founding Fathers. Yet, Republicans regard themselves as the Patriotic Party.

The Republicans have violated the Nuremberg prohibitions against war crimes, and they have violated the Geneva Conventions against torture and abuse of prisoners. Republican disregard for human rights ranks with that of history's great tyrants.

The Republicans have put in place the foundation for a police state, and have no problem using it against fellow US citizens!

We must get the Republicans totally out of power, or we will have no country left for any of us!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 25, 2008 6:42 PM

Posted by: JakeD | July 25, 2008 6:36 PM

Posted by: the racist mccains | July 25, 2008 6:34 PM

Posted by: JakeD | July 25, 2008 6:29 PM

Even Colbert could not make McCain exciting.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 25, 2008 6:27 PM

Has anyone seen "The Colbert Report" MAKE MCCAIN EXCITING contest?

Posted by: JakeD | July 25, 2008 6:25 PM

McCain is back to hitting the Sauce again!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 25, 2008 6:24 PM