The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

John McCain

McCain Defends 'Celeb' Ad

By Juliet Eilperin
RACINE, Wisc. -- Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) defended his recent negative attacks on Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) today, saying that "differences have to be drawn" between himself and his opponent.

The presumptive GOP nominee explained his campaign strategy during a town hall meeting at the Racine Civic Centre, when a young woman asked him why he had launched an ad Wednesday linking Obama to Hollywood bad girls Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. Noting that McCain had earlier pledged to run a civil campaign, she said with skepticism, "Britney Spears? I was like, O.K.... It seems like you might have flip flopped on what you said earlier."

Before McCain answered, one member of the crowd cried out, "Thank you!"

"There are differences here. What we are talking about here is substance, and not style," McCain responded. "Campaigns are tough, but I am proud of the campaign we have run, I'm proud of the issues we have raised."

"We're proud of that commercial," the senator continued. "We think Americans need to know that I believe we should base this campaign on what we can do for Americans here at home, and what we can do to make America secure and prosperous, and that's the theme of our campaign."

As soon as McCain finished answering the question, a teenager stood up and encouraged him to continue pursuing these sorts of attacks.

"I'm eighteen years-old and I just have to say, Obama terrifies me," she said, as the crowd cheered loudly. "I think you need to call him on every shot. Don't let him get away with anything."

Posted at 2:18 PM ET on Jul 31, 2008  | Category:  John McCain
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: McCain Camp: 'Obama Has Played the Race Card' | Next: Gossip Blogs Fact Check McCain

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Obama-Junkie:

I didn't see your answer -- maybe I missed it -- are you denying that Obama is "the biggest celebrity in the world"? Even Paris Hilton's mom and dad can't deny that fact.

Posted by: JakeD | August 4, 2008 12:35 PM

JakeD, my friend:

When the wife and I got home today, we were sorry to see that you had not completed our laundry before going on-line to "blog" with all your imaginary friends. Cindy and I are quite disappointed at your failure to finish the ironing and folding, and hope that today you will remember the terms of your GOP service contract.

This is NOT a democracy. This is the Republican Party, and this year I am its Dear Leader. Bow down.

Posted by: John McCain | August 4, 2008 12:06 PM

I'm throbbing and squirming!

Posted by: JakeD | August 4, 2008 12:00 PM

McCain says he's proud of his ad and happy about the fun he's having.

Is he in his second childhood?

Posted by: old white vet | August 4, 2008 9:29 AM

The flag thing is a red herring and you guys are bait and switching. The fact of the matter is that you are holding your nose while you slash at our candidate.

Obama would make a better president. He is a 21st century candidate. Quite frankly, McCain's experience is all Cold War era stuff, and he can't even remember most of it. Unless he was lying about what he told his captors. When you read McCains bio, it is not at all stellar. He has shown a pattern of trading loyalty for power. This is not what we need to restore America as an ethical leader of the free world.

I'd shop around for a tagname if I were you.

Posted by: SouthPrairie Deb | August 3, 2008 10:36 PM

McCain is not all there but at least he fought for our country and respects
our flag.Obama has no respect for middle class he is an elitist and very foolish
when it comes to people over seas. During
the pledge he doesn't raise his hand to his
heart. I pity him and guess what I'm
A DEMOCRAT.
obama is like an actor, all bull and no
substance. Really people try to acually listen to the bull the morron acually spouts out.

Posted by: Another idiot | August 3, 2008 8:17 PM

McCain should stick to issues of great importancesi.e the economy,iran,iraq etc and should leave a man's charter alone

Posted by: david | August 3, 2008 4:32 PM

We knew this wizened little man had passed his prime. What we didn't know until his latest ads was that he suffers from geezer's envy, a has been guy's jealousy of someone with the capacity to work 7-day weeks and earn palpable support for his programs of change and for his leadership.

Posted by: Old white guy | August 3, 2008 8:37 AM

WHAT IS RIGHT ABOUT MCCAIN, YOU GUYS? HOW ABOUT YOU TELL US THAT!?!

Frankly I don't think you can. Sure, some of you on other blogs might be able to cut and paste a diatribe from a hack website, but no more than that, because the fact of the matter is, you don't even like your own candidate! You just hate ours more.

I think you all have candidate envy.

Ours is articulate--yours fumbles and stumbles every other day.

Ours can write--yours has to be passed his Rovian talking points--and have them on a pad in front of him.

Ours can reach across the aisle, while yours has alienated the liberal base.

Ours represents hope and change, while yours represents more of the same.

Obama reflects 21st century America, and yours reflects the Cold War era.

Our candidate is willing to lead, while your candidate follows the money.

It is true that there are many liberals that want everything their way all the time, and they whine quite a bit. Not me.

I am dedicated to this candidacy and I will argue, analyze the issues and fight for our country, because

I WILL NEVER FORGET FOR AS LONG AS I LIVE, WHAT REPUBLICANS HAVE DONE TO AMERICA:

*THEY HAVE MODELED SELF-SERVING BRUTALITY FOR ALL TO SEE.

*THEY HAVE FUNNELED OUR HARD EARNED TAX DOLLARS TO HALLIBURTON (KBR) AND BLACKWATER.

*THEY POLITICED THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT

*THEY Politicized CED THE JUDICIAL BRANCH

*THEY TRASHED KATRINA VICTIMS--ESPECIALLY THE MINORITY VICTIMS

*THEY TRASHED THE HOUSING MARKET

*THEY ARE DIVIDERS, NOT UNITERS

*THEY ARE DISPASSIONATE CONSERVATIVES

So, ummmmmm why should we vote for McCain? And don't give me that tax crap, because he already said all things are on the table. We all know that Republicans BORROW AND SPEND when they're not fleecing and spending.

Posted by: SouthPrairie Deb | August 3, 2008 5:47 AM

I worked at Landstuhl hospital for many years - I worked with Dr. Jazarevic too who provided the stupid statement. He always was a bit off - a mediocre surgeon with a huge ego. I was disappointed when I heard that Obama might stop by Landstuhl - many VIP's do that for photo ops. I was glad he didn't. I'll bet he will stop by when he is President. We were lied to when we went to fight a stupid war. When Obama arrives in Landstuhl one day to tell the troops that enough is enough, then there will be a huge celebration by everyone there. Guess Jazarevic is running for political office which explains his stupid statement. Sad when you realize up close how low a campaign can reach - just like when you arrive in Iraq & realize for the first time that the reasons for going there were not what you were told. This week I have lost respect for John McCain - he is a consummate politician.

Posted by: Paul | August 2, 2008 4:14 AM

The Karl Rove campaign machine grinds out its daily deadly dose of division and distraction. Meanwhile, the Republicans have been busy

perverting justice at the Justice Department through illegal hiring and firing practices aimed at turning "justice" into "loyalty to Bush and the RNC";

literally rewriting the Justice Department manual so that unethical political bias is now ethical;

refusing to investigate through the Justice Department (hereafter referred to as the Injustice Department or "the RNC") the refusal of Republicans to obey congressinal subpoenas for questioning or for documents about their role in creating a secret government whose purpose seems to have been perverting justice in order to create a Republican monarchical privilege;

found in contempt of Congress by a vote of 223 to 32 for refusing to respond to legitimate congressional subpoenas;

voting en bloc (either by voting No or by not voting) to continue to allow the Republican administration to create a secret government accountable to no one in its pursuit of perverting justice;

ordered now by a Federal District judge to obey the subpeonas and appear before congress on the ruling that such claims of absolute executive privilege and immunity are unfounded in case law.

From the git-go, when they ignored intelligence warning about possible terrorist attacks and then LIED about it, right up to today's campaign news, the Republicans have neglected, lied to, threatened, intimidated and propagandized this nation. They have declared war on America (they called it "culture war") and I believe this is the war we must win. Every Democrat or Independent up for election is the surge that must succeed if the Republicans are to be stopped. It really is war right here in America. They declared it, but we can win it.

Posted by: GaryL1 | August 1, 2008 11:48 PM

It seems McCain likes to talks about character and patriotism. I wonder why he hasn't disclosed his PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder) diagnosis and won't mention the fact that he attempted suicide while in captivity in Vietnam. There are some real questions about his ability to deal with stress. The inability to control anger is a common trait of PTSD and his attempted suicide indicates a significant lapse in sound judgment. There is also some question about his cooperating with his Communist captors. Other POWs said his Code Name was 'Song Bird". The term "Manchurian Candidate" has also come up on a few occasions. It is one thing to question another persons character, it is another to be one who is lacking it.

Posted by: Alonzo M | August 1, 2008 10:23 PM

Pa McCain's undoing will be by himself. His deviation and distraction from the real issues expected to be addressed by the American people, and his persistent obssession with maligning Obama, will define his real personality and lay him out for judgment by the voter's.
Not too long ago, Hilary took that path and everyone saw the out come.

Posted by: Cook | August 1, 2008 9:43 PM

Time to unite against the knuckledraggers...
We don't have to wait to do battle-
Some thing I've been doing in my little town:
If you know that a business is owned by a republican...DON'T patronize it!
If you see a disabled motorist...and their bumpersticker indicates that republicans are in the car...DON'T stop to help!
If some personal calamity befalls neighbors that you know are republicans...DON'T participate in any benifit efforts!
Only give blood if it's a direct or specific contribution...blood donated thru the Red Cross could go to republicans.
Be extra mindful of what charities you donate to...be sure they do not benefit republicans...
Get the picture?

Posted by: Kase | August 1, 2008 6:55 PM

The McCain AD with Spears and Hilton is racist. It is a more subtle attempt to plant a picture of the while girls with a black man. One which was very successful in TN against Ford.
McCain is proud of the AD, just as W is proud of his term as President. After all history will judge.
I don't have time for the historians to judge the incompetence of the Bush administration and the lapdog Republican congress which bowed and curtsied when Bush lead the country into a preemptive war.
Our country is in trouble. McCain wears the Republican "mantra" with pride. Either a Progressive Democrat will lead this country into the future or a retro-Republican.
Another Naderlike candidacy will accomplish nothing and do great harm.
To bragg you "didn't vote for ...." is just a cop out for having to make a decision.

Posted by: CarmanK | August 1, 2008 4:53 PM

There is "Freedom of Speech" and then there is "Slander", "Fraud" and "Misrepresentation of the Facts".

If McCain's Campaign sought to inform the public to some "facts" about Obama and his campaign then he would be trumpted as righteous. But as he is simply spreading slanderous remarks and misinformation about the candidate then he rightfully being vilified over it.

Simply put, his advertisements to date are "False", "Misleading" and "Unbecoming" of a Candidate for President of the United States.

Clean up your act, McCain.

Posted by: Wynter | August 1, 2008 4:22 PM

Reagan was a celebrity and so is Arnold. Obama is a rock star, McCain is a desparate for attention grumpy old man.

Posted by: ainokea | August 1, 2008 3:47 PM

I Loved the add it said everything about Obama. There is nothing else to say about him -Oh exsept that people are picking on him because of his color.ugh!

Posted by: mimi362 | August 1, 2008 3:43 PM

John McCain is an old, angry man, bordering senility, and ready to say anything to get to the White House. His recent vicious attacks against Obama, his frequent memory gaps, his stories not supported by facts, and his 180 degree shift on too many issues are just few of the supporting evidences.

And similar to Bush, McCain is now cashing big bucks with the petrole companies which are financing his campaign in exchange of more drilling opportunities in the future and lower taxes on their record profits.

Posted by: Logan-6 | August 1, 2008 2:25 PM

John McCain's "Celeb" ad appears to be suggesting that my enthusiasm for Barack is hardly any different from the adulation of fans for pop singers. Am I the only one who feels insulted by this?

I'm trying to remember another case when I might have felt personally insulted by a political ad. I can't think of one. Of course, many ads could have been described as "insults to my intelligence." But that's not the same. McCain's ad is actually telling me just what they think of me - and I am not very happy about it at all!

Posted by: ILoveAmerica | August 1, 2008 1:46 PM

OBAMA terrifies her. People she was a plant, put their by the GOP. They are still trying to do it. John Mcsame with his phony town hall meetings is pathetic. If you watch his town hall meetings, it doesn't matter what state he is in, check out members of his audiences.Some people at least 15 of them are always their. Now I know the media is aware of this but they want report it. That is why OBAMA refused to have townhall meetings with him. The Huffington report are the only ones to report this but it just driffed in the back ground.

Posted by: tygirl | August 1, 2008 12:31 PM

"Obama terrifies me!"

That comment says it all. That's the Republican campaign in a nutshell. That's been their campaign since the 1988 "Willie Horton" campaign.

America - are you that dumb? Can they play you again this year? Are you going to believe the "straight talking" Republicans or your lying eyes as our great nation goes down the tubes?

Posted by: Chuck | August 1, 2008 11:20 AM

Obama DID refuse to see our wounded troops because of the lack of press. His secret service name should be "hairspray".

Here is confrimation from NEWSMAX today:

Hospital Doctor Slams Obama, Canceled Visit

Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:07 PM

Article Font Size

The McCain campaign issued the following statement today:

Today, Dr. Danny Jazarevic, who served as the Chief of Trauma, Critical Care and Vascular Surgery at Landstuhl, issued the following statement on Barack Obama's canceled visit to Ramstein and Landstuhl:

"Last week, Senator Obama skipped a visit with wounded U.S. troops at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany because the Pentagon would not allow campaign staff or media to accompany him into the hospital. I served as director of trauma surgery at that hospital for nearly four years and saw the effect that a visit from a celebrity like Senator Obama could have on morale. During that time, I do not recall a single member of Congress canceling a visit with the troops despite being just a few hours away, but Senator Obama seems to have been more concerned with how the visit would affect him than how it would affect the soldiers recovering from wounds received in the service of their country."

Dr. Danny Jazarevic served as the Chief of Trauma, Critical Care and Vascular Surgery at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center. In 1984, Dr. Jazarevic joined the United States Army and later the Florida National Guard. He has since served in Honduras, Africa, Saudi Arabia, Bosnia, and Iraq. From December 2002 through January 2006, Dr. Jazarevic was assigned to the U.S. Army Hospital in Landstuhl, Germany, where he served as Chief of Trauma, Critical Care and Vascular Surgery. During this period, he deployed to Iraq numerous times, including with the 101st Airborne Division Forward Surgical Team and as Director of Operations for the 44th U.S. Army Medical Command. He is currently the Chief Trauma Surgeon at a civilian medical center in Florida, and also serves as a full Colonel in the U.S. Army Reserve. Dr. Jazarevic has been awarded the Bronze Star Medal.

Posted by: JaxMax | August 1, 2008 11:01 AM

OOps! I did it again
____________________
Sung by John McCain
Lyrics by "Those who Know".
Dedicated to The Presumptuous Candidate.

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

I think I did
it again
I made you believe you're going to win
Oh Barry!
It might seem like a win
But it really means that
I'm ingenious!
'Cause to
use my defenses
That is just so typically me!
Oh Barry,
Barry!

[CHORUS:]
Oops!...you did it again
You played the race card
now you've lost the game
Oh Barry, Barry!
Oops!...You think you got love?
That you're sent from above?
You're not that innocent!

You see my
problem is this
You played with J. Wright
Ayers, Hamas, Rezko, Cone and
Ludacris!
I laughed, watching the days
Can't you see I'm so smart in so many
ways?
Got to use my defenses
That is just so typically me!
Barry,
oh

[Repeat CHORUS]

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

"All aboard"
"Barry, before you go, there's
something I want you to see..."

"Oh, it's beautiful, but wait a minute, isn't
this...?"

"The White House? yes it is"

"Cool! That's why I got that Hillary dropped into
the ocean in the end"

"Well Barry, You did, but then I took it from you"

"Nooooo, you
couldn't have!"

[CHORUS:]
Oops!...you did it again
You played the race card
now you've lost the game
Oh Barry, Barry!
Oops!...You think you got love?
That you're sent from above?
You're not that innocent!

Posted by: JulianDamanas | August 1, 2008 10:56 AM

Obama has made several comments himself comparing his popularity to celebraties, including Paris Hilton.
The media has often mentioned his celebraty status.

The ad does not come out of no where, it is based upon the actions and treatment of the Obama campaign and the media.

Posted by: win | August 1, 2008 10:46 AM

Britney Spears and Paris Hilton aren't "famous for being famous," as John McCain claimed. Together, these young women are infamous for drug and alcohol abuse, time in jail, unfit parenting, lewdness, and sexual promiscuity - the same stereotypes that have plagued black men for generations. So who played the race card?
Whether or not a candidate "looks presidential" is something that has long been a part of our national discourse. Two centuries of American history has "informed" us that McCain looks the part, and Obama does not. It isn't Obama's youth or his short tenure in national politics, or his oratory skills that make him unique among those who have sought this nation's highest office. Obama's "otherness" is the color of his skin, plain and simple. To some Americans, that in itself makes Obama the risky choice.
It is a "scare tactic" to insinuate that one day we might wind up with a President who is just like Britney Spears and Paris Hilton? It would be a "scare tactic" to tell your daughter that one day she might grow up to be just like them? Yet McCain is proud of his "Celeb" ad that compares these two women to Barack Obama, who graduated at Magna cum laude from Harvard Law, was president of the Harvard Law Review, taught law at University of Chicago for a dozen years, and is a U.S. Senator - and did I say Obama is black? And by the way, since when does a black man play the "race card" by alluding to the fact that he is, in fact, black?

Posted by: Valerie | August 1, 2008 10:37 AM

>>>The aspect that most troubles me about the ad is the fact that McCain has shown that he is willing to drench two innocent bystanders (Britney and Paris) in his filthy political vomit....

Not to mention that McCain used his own campaign donors' child (Rick and Kathy Hilton) as a campaign prop.

The Hilton should ask for a refund of their campaign donation for that faux pas on McCain's part.

Posted by: Disgusted former Republican | August 1, 2008 7:52 AM

I'm still on the fence (leaning toward McCain) in this election because each candidate holds some positions that I support but I am absolutely disgusted with and tired of irrelevant campaigning.

In short, the Obama/Hilton/Spears smear ads insult my intelligence and in my opinion are totally irrelevant to what should be the theme of the campaign: where does America go from here?

Unfortunately, this is probably just round 1 of negative and most importantly irrelevant ads but in the long term if McCain continues to approve this type of message I won't vote for him regardless of his positions.

Posted by: Tom Miller | August 1, 2008 7:06 AM

Re: Stop hiding behind your fabricated "War Hero" persona.

Not an issue. Move on!!

Posted by: imagination | August 1, 2008 1:53 AM

Re: Paris and Britney--real people!

Are they real? How do you know??

Posted by: imagination | August 1, 2008 1:50 AM

Shouldn't McCain (R-Trophy Bim) sorta lay off the drugged-up-stupid-rich-blonde angle?

Posted by: oggtheblog | August 1, 2008 1:37 AM

When Mcain couples white girls with Obama in a huge cloud of adoration--IT HAS RACIAL IMPLICATIONS! A huge swath of middle Americans are still disturbed by the white girl/black guy thing. If Obama wins--watch out, we could have an on slaught of mixed marriages.

What you call the race card, I call the dismiss card. White middle class people, of whom I am one of, who do not want to deal with the "issues" that people of color have, tritely state, "they are playing the race card!" Call it what it is--the dismiss card. It is very much like white folks, of which I am one, stating that, "I don't see color!" What they do not realize is that, IT IS A PRIVILEGE TO NOT SEE COLOR!! YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WHEN YOU ARE WHITE. If you think that the media is treating Obama the same way they are treating McCain, just ask yourself how the msm would have reacted if Obama would have mixed up the Sunni and Shia of Iraq. America, you are in denial. Yeah, it is a pain in the arse to accept the fact that there are uneducated, racist, and utterly unfair individuals in our country. Just because YOU ARE NOT A TARGET OF THEIR HATRED DOES NOT MEAN IT DOES NOT EXIST!! You do not have to go any further than these blogs to see what I'm talking about. How about facing the TRUTH FOR ONCE AMERICA? You act like--I don't ever have a hate crime perpetrated against me because I'm cute, white, rich, and blonde! So there's no such thing as hate crimes! Then you are disingenuous and unaware of the world around you. REPUBLICANS ARE NOT EITHER. THEY PLAY TO UNINFORMED FEARS. Get over yourselves! It is the DISMISS CARD AND IT IS THE REPUBLICANS WHO PLAY IT!! CUT AND DRY, END OF STORY.

Please, don't do it again America. A tree will be known by its fruit, and they trashed our country!

Posted by: SouthPrairie Deb | August 1, 2008 1:35 AM

this keeps up, McCain will be reduced to not wearing panties....

Posted by: jakeD's shadow | August 1, 2008 1:16 AM

The Dingo's ate my first wife....

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | August 1, 2008 1:13 AM

It is hard to believe that some people, some McCain people, are making noise about Obama's wonderful response from the European's. They are calling him a celebrity. How many years has it been since an American political figure was well received in Europe? Bush's attitude, incompetence and the stupid Iraq adventure took America's reputation to an all time low. Obama gives the world hope that there will be a change, there will be a new sense of involvement rather then Bush's unilateral and bully like actions. We should all be proud of Obama for raising our flag in a positive fashion.

Posted by: Bill-Amazed in Australia | July 31, 2008 11:59 PM

Prediction: McCain is Forced to Publicly Apologize to Britney and Paris for His Callous Mockery of the Two

During his defeat of the Clinton Machine in the primary, Barack Obama proved he could take a punch.

The Britney/Paris ad doesn't even count as a solid left jab in this bout. If anything it looks like one of those wild left hooks opponents like Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier and George Foreman threw at Muhammad Ali in desperate attempts to knock the Champ out with one vicious blow. The problem was Ali merely moved his head back an inch or two, the blow missed by that much and his opponents were often left wide open to counter punches. Barack doesn't even have to move his head for this powder-puff of an attack ad.

The aspect that most troubles me about the ad is the fact that McCain has shown that he is willing to drench two innocent bystanders (Britney and Paris) in his filthy political vomit. Barack's in the ring, he's fair game. The two women whom McCain essentially humiliated are not.

Regardless of what one may think of the twosome, neither of whom has made any political comments that I am aware of, they are human beings, American citizens, apolitical civilians.

The callous vulgarity McCain has displayed by airing this ad, the complete indifference regarding how Paris and Britney--real people!-may feel being used as exemplars of Nothingness, that disregard for these two innocent bystanders (in the political realm) exposes what McCain, his campaign organization leadership and Republicans, in general are.

I loathe frivolous lawsuits, but it sure would be sweet if Brit and Paris could launch a defamation suit against the holier-than-thou McCain campaign.

{Late News: It turns out both Paris' father, Rick, and her grandfather, Barron Hilton, are McCain contributors. Reports are that Barron Hilton personally has contacted the McCain campaign to express his outrage at their use and mockery of his grand-daughter in the ad. This one ain't over.]

Posted by: FredrickBernanke | July 31, 2008 11:20 PM

JOHN MCCAIN, TRADER TO HIS COUNTRY, COLLABORATOR WITH THE ENEMY, MILITARY DISGRACE.

Ted Sampley, a Vietnam Veteran and former Green Beret, issued a CHALLENGE to John McCain "If you can show us that the information presented in our mailer is untruthful . . . we will Stand Down" This CHALLENGE was issued during an interview with INSIDE EDITION on January 17, 2008.
John, family members of Vietnam POW/MIA(s) have been waiting for more then 14 years for you to have the courage to face them eye to eye in front of the American Public - Here is your opportunity for some "STRAIGHT TALK." Stop hiding behind your fabricated "War Hero" persona. You know we can prove your collaborations with declassified government documents . . . It is time for the American people to get to know the REAL John McCain - the John McCain that the POW/MIA families witnessed during the 1991-93 US Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs .
Bring It On John! HERE IS OUR NUMBER 252-527-0442

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 11:05 PM

Re: Why does McCain still deny that the Soviets were involved in the interrogation of U.S. POWs in Vietnam?

Not an issue. Move on!

Posted by: imagination | July 31, 2008 10:56 PM

McCain certainly has changed in the last 8 years. Either that, or the media grossly mislead the public on this "straight talking maverick.

Here is a legitimate concern:

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 10:40 PM

For years, the mainstream news media has refused to stop idolizing the so-called straight talking maverick John McCain long enough to question the mental health consequences of the years he spent as a "special" prisoner of the communists in North Vietnam.

McCain, the presumptive Republican candidate for President, who could one day have his finger on the "red button," claims the communists subjected him to 5 ½ years of nonstop indoctrination sessions so intense that he attempted suicide.

Unfortunately for McCain, after his bomber was hit by anti-aircraft fire near Hanoi on October 26, 1967, he parachuted into the hands of an evil communist enemy who 7 years earlier had adopted Soviet methods of prisoner interrogation.

At that time, the Soviets were perfecting techniques designed "to put a man's mind into a fog so that he will mistake what is true for what is untrue, what is right for what is wrong, and come to believe what did not happen actually had happened."

Psychiatric Journals are flush with reports concluding that former POWs may remain entangled in "harsh psychological battles" with themselves for decades after returning home including difficulty in controlling intense emotions such as anger and stress.

In political circles, McCain, sometimes referred to as "insane McCain," is well known for having a "volcanic" temper which his colleagues say often erupts into vulgar language and personal insults.

Democrat Paul Johnson, the former mayor of Phoenix, experienced McCain's in your face temperament up close. "His volatility borders in the area of being unstable," Johnson said. "Before I let this guy put his finger on the button, I would have to give considerable pause."

The Journal of America Medicine reported in an 1996 article that being a former POW is associated with "increased cumulative incidence rates of chronic disorders of the peripheral nervous system, joints, and back and an increased hazard rate of peptic ulcer."

The 71 year-old McCain most certainly suffers pain and the weakening effects of chronic arthritis. He broke both arms when he was forced to eject after his bomber was hit. He says the Vietnamese periodically re-fractured his bones during years of interrogation and torture which rendered him permanently incapable of raising his arms above his head.

McCain has never been publicly vetted about what and how much medications he is taking. Aside from his anger and arthritic pain issues, McCain has had reoccurring bouts of malignant melanoma, a deadly form of cancer that can spread quickly throughout the body.

These facts alone beg the question on how a President McCain, in the absence of his campaign staff handlers, would deal with a snap decision that had to be made "if the White House phone rang at 3 a.m."

McCain's POW experience is unique. His communist captors considered him the "crown prince" of U.S. POWs because his father, Adm. John McCain, was commander of all U.S. forces fighting in Vietnam. Because the communists believed he was from a "royal family" and would when finally released return to the United States to an important military or government job, they held him for two years in "solitary confinement."

In February, Reuters news reported that McCain's former captors are expressing delight in the news of his nomination as Republican party Presidential candidate. "In the past Senator McCain has conducted activities that had a positive impact in bringing the two nations [Vietnam/United States] closer. That is a point that Vietnamese people who follow the current affairs do recognize," said retired North Vietnamese Colonel Nguyen Van Phuong, representing retired and present members of the Vietnamese communist military.

Since McCain was first elected to Congress 1982 (and later to the Senate), he and his staff have expended tens of thousands of hours pushing U.S. legislation favoring communist Vietnam. In 1995, McCain stood with Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass. to give President Bill Clinton valuable political cover he needed to disregard the issue of missing U.S. POWs in Vietnam and remove the U.S. trade embargo against Vietnam.

No U.S. POW had any communication with McCain or knew where he was being held during at least 8 to 12 months of McCain's first two years of captivity. He has either been unable or unwilling to account for the months he was missing from the POW system.

Within days of McCain's shoot down and after being told the identity of his famous father, the Vietnamese rushed him to Gai Lam military hospital (U.S. government documents), a medical facility normally unavailable to treat U.S. POWs. McCain was kept at Gai Lam for six weeks under the control of Soviet medical specialist anxious to test the use of their "mind and behavior modification" drugs on such an important prisoner.

McCain said the communists were so effective with their interrogation techniques that he broke on the fourth day after being captured and began cooperating. "Demands for military information were accompanied by threats to terminate my medical treatment if I [McCain] did not cooperate. Eventually, I gave them my ship's name and squadron number, and confirmed that my target had been the power plant." Pages 193-194, Faith of My Fathers, by John McCain.

U.S. intelligence agents concluded in the early 1950s that Soviet intelligence (KGB) agents were experimenting on their prisoners with "mind control" techniques and behavior modification drugs

Allen W. Dulles, the newly confirmed CIA director acknowledged the dilemma in April 1953, when he told a gathering of Princeton alumni that "a sinister battle for men's minds" was underway. The Soviets, Dulles explained "have developed brain perversion techniques, some of which are so subtle and so abhorrent to our way of life that we have recoiled from facing up to them."

During the Cold War, the Soviets and the CIA began competing with secret experiments on prisoners aimed at honing the use of "chemical and biological materials capable of producing human behavioral and physiological changes." The experiments included isolation, sleep deprivation, humiliation, alternating with long hours of interrogation.

Since the Russians and Chinese (and our own CIA) have proven they can in a relative short time alter the basic emotional and behavior patterns of captives, it is fair to assume that McCain's unpredictable and often volatile temperament is directly related to his treatment as a 5 ½ prisoner of the communists.

The American public was first exposed to Soviet "brain perversion techniques" during Korean War when the communists launched a propaganda offensive featuring filmed and recorded testimony of captured U.S. servicemen confessing to war crimes including the use of germ warfare.

By the end of the Korean War, "70 percent of the 7,190 U.S. prisoners held in China had either made confessions or signed petitions calling for an end to the American war effort in Asia. Fifteen percent collaborated fully with the Chinese, and only 5 percent steadfastly resisted."

Military officials were especially alarmed when a significant number of the U.S. prisoners refused to recant their confessions as soon as they returned to the United States.

Beginning in 1960, KGB and Chinese agents directed the Vietnamese in establishing Vietnam's original interrogation guidelines for U.S. prisoners. They suggested interrogation techniques and issued specific intelligence requirements to be extracted during prisoner interrogations.

Official American position on POW confessions was that they were false and forced while privately expressing grave concern that the collaborations proved the communists had developed techniques that could "put a man's mind into a fog."

Psychologist have identified behavior in which a former prisoner emotionally bonds with an abuser as the Stockholm Syndrome. McCain was a strong advocate for prosecuting Bosnian, Yugoslavian and Iraqi war criminals and is adamantly opposed to any form of normalized relation with Cuba until it allows "free elections, human right organizations and a free and independent media."

Yet, McCain has resisted any kind of war crimes investigation of his former Vietnamese torturers. Prosecution and subsequent trials could bring to justice the Vietnamese torturers known by the American POWs as the Bug, Slopehead, the Prick, the Soft Soap Fairy, Rabbit, the Cat, Zorba and many others who were responsible for the murder in North Vietnam of at least 55 U.S. POWs and the brutal torture of hundreds of others.

In November 1991, Tracy Usry, chief investigator of the Minority Staff of the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee, testified before the Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs, that the Soviets interrogated U.S. prisoners of war in Vietnam. McCain became outraged, interrupting Usry several times, arguing that "none of the returned U.S. prisoners of war released by Vietnam were ever interrogated by the Soviets."

Former KGB Maj. Gen. Oleg Kalugin testified during the hearings that the KGB did interrogate U.S. POWs in Vietnam. Kalugin stated that one of the POWs worked on by the KGB was a "high-ranking naval officer," who, according to Kalugin, agreed to work with the Soviets upon his repatriation to the United States and has frequently appeared on U.S. television.

Col. Bui Tin, a former Senior Colonel in the North Vietnamese Army, testified on the same day, but after Usry, that because of his high position in the Communist Party during the war he had the authority to "read all documents and secret telegrams from the politburo" pertaining to American prisoners of war. He said that not only did the Soviets interrogate some American prisoners of war, but that they treated the Americans very badly.

McCain stunned onlookers at the hearing when he moved to the witness table and physically embraced Col. Tin as if he was a long, lost brother.

In 1949 Dr. Andrew Salter authored Conditioned Reflex Therapy, a pioneering work in the field of psychoanalysis. Ten years later, as Richard Condon was writing The Manchurian Candidate, he asked Dr. Salter to help "design" the brainwashed character for the book and subsequent movie.

More than 40 years later, in 1992, during the C-SPAN broadcasts of the Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs, Dr. Salter watched the hearings from his New York City apartment. Salter became fascinated with McCain's overly aggressive and angry behavior toward witnesses, especially family members of men still missing in action. After a few hours he called a friend telling her, "the signs are all there, I'm afraid Senator John McCain has been brainwashed."

During the Senate Select hearings, McCain opposed all efforts by the POW/MIA families and activists to have the Select Committee expand its investigation to study how successful the Vietnamese, Soviet, Chinese and Cuban interrogation apparatuses were at exploiting American prisoners of war.

News pundants have elevated McCain to "the most popular national political figure in the country" by repeatedly describing him as a "war hero" based on his refusal accept a communist offer of "early release" from captivity.

What the media has carelessly refused to acknowledge is that the camp's senior ranking U.S. POW (SRO) had issued unquestionable orders that if a POW was to be released, "it would be the longest held prisoner" Because McCain was not the longest held POW, he would have faced a military court-marshal if he had accepted the offer.

It is incumbent upon McCain to prove to the American people that the 5 1/2 years he spent at the mercy of communist interrogators did not leave him with mental health issues that could hinder him in making snap decisions "if the White House phone rang at 3 a.m."

Is McCain taking any kind of pain or "nerve" medicines? If so, do the medicines cause emotional and physical reactions?

McCain was once treated for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) which is said to get worse over time for former POWs, what is the status of his treatment?

Does McCain still harbor stress triggered suicidal tendencies?

Where was McCain and what was happening to him during the months he was missing from the POW camp?

McCain implies that he made only one propaganda broadcast for the communists, but Senate Foreign Relations Committee staffers say he made over 30. How many did he make and what did he get in return?

=======

NO. Not an issue. Move on!!

Posted by: imagination | July 31, 2008 10:13 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 10:35 PM

Re: Mccain and the disability card

Do not copy my writing style.

Posted by: premier | July 31, 2008 10:26 PM

Re: The new ads

"We're proud of that commercial."

Yes you got the right gut there. Leave it as it is. I LOVE it!!

Posted by: premier | July 31, 2008 10:22 PM

RE: Does McCain's former interrogators, the communist Vietnamese, Russians, Chinese and Cubans have anything in their secret intelligence files about his behavior as a prisoner with which they could blackmail a President John McCain?

NO. Not an issue. Move on!!

Posted by: imagination | July 31, 2008 10:13 PM

What happened to the John McCain that ran for the Republican nomination against George Bush? Where is the Senator that did what was right even if he had to go against his party? Where is the McCain who hated the Karl Rove tactics that once knocked him out of the race for the nomination? I'm sickened by this new jaded, negative, sarcastic McCain.

Don't tell me what's wrong with Obama tell me why you're right for America.

Posted by: McCain't | July 31, 2008 10:04 PM

Which celebrity list was that by the way? I'd like to look at it for myself. Don't say that the ad had nothing to do with spears and hilton. They were carefully picked because they are irresponsible ditsy hollywood nit wits. It wasn't just because they were number 2 and 3 on some list that the campaign found. I can find thousands of lists on the internet that rank celebrities based on different criteria. Don't be naive sean.

Posted by: Jack | July 31, 2008 9:50 PM

Yeah, those town hall meetings are working out great aren't they? I understand the intent of the ad. My point is just that it was a terrible attempt... I'm disappointed that McCain can't manage to do better than that. Part of leadership is also being able to market your message and make people buy in. In fact, I would argue that is one of the most important aspects of leadership...getting people to buy what you are selling. I'm just not buying the ad.

Posted by: Jack | July 31, 2008 9:41 PM

Obama is a racist. He has issues. I won't let him get away with the race exploitation. FU Obama.

Posted by: McLovin | July 31, 2008 9:38 PM

The Brittany and Paris ad hits a new low.

It attacks below the belt - stinks of jealousy, racism and white supremacy.

OBAMA is a spiritually evolved leader - he is enigmatic and very intelligent.
He grew up in a single parent household - a black kid in a white family - surely that could not have been easy.
He has known pain - you can see it in the sadness in his eyes.
That's why so many people love him - he radiates love and caring and healing.

GOD BLESS HIM!!

Posted by: wendynyc | July 31, 2008 9:32 PM

To Jack

It was an ad that there is more about leadership than talking to big crowds.

When McCain goes to berlin he talks to nato security conferences every year.

Obama doesn't hold open town hall meetings. Obama has refused to hold them.

Obama is always on script. There is more to leadership than holding huge rallies in berlin with fluff speeches.

The ad was that Obama is able to hold huge rallies but there are more to rallies than that.

Spears and hilton were used because they were number 2 and number 3 on the celebrity list behind Obama.

It had nothing to do with them. If other celebrities were behind Obama they would have been used.

An important point to note is that in oregon and berlin rock bands were what attracted part of the crowd.

No one was comparing Obama to Spears. All it was saying is celebrities can get huge crowd so there is more to leadership than huge crowds.

Posted by: Sean | July 31, 2008 9:24 PM

McCain married into the mob.

POTUS can't be mobbed up. McCain's going down.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 9:19 PM

I just fail to see the comparison...Obama is popular because he has been able to market and articulate his message to potential voters, Spears and Hilton are famous because one is a train wreck of a mother and the other...uh....well...uh...oh yeah, that's right, she's a porn star skank. How does that compare?

Posted by: Jack | July 31, 2008 9:15 PM

I'm not an Obama apologist, this ad is just over the top.

Posted by: Jack | July 31, 2008 9:08 PM

Jack when are you ever going to be disappointed in Obama for his shameful race card attacks against the Clintons.

No you will never say anything about that.

No Obama can do anything. Obama can call his opponents racists and you never say a word about it. This is the change he is talking about.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 9:03 PM

To Jack when are you Obamabots ever going to say Obama was wrong for calling the Clintons racist.

No matter how wrong Obama is no matter how many times he plays the race card it never bothers the Obamabots.

Jack just once say Obama was wrong to play the race card on the Clintons.

Obama's race card identity politics is shameful. It is a disgrace. It is outrageous.

Jack just once, just once call him out on his BS.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 9:02 PM

Hilton and Spears were picked because they were number 2 and 3 on the celebrity list behind Obama.

If a different celebrity was number 2 and 3 they would have been picked.

What amazes me is Obama is never called out on the carpet.

Obama accused the Clintons of being racists when they spent their whole lives working to help african americans.

Obama sent out a 4 page memo accusing the Clintons of being racists.

When is Obama ever ever ever going to be told that is wrong.

When?

Posted by: Sean | July 31, 2008 8:59 PM

For John McCain to say that he is actually proud of that ad is dissappointing, but not surprising. Barack Obama may be a lot of things that the McCain campaign has labeled him, but Spears and Hilton? Where did that even come from? It is actually quite insulting to the intellegence of the audience. Barack Obama may not have a long tenure in the Senate or have the most robust political resume, but McCain isn't going to dupe the American public into thinking that Obama is nothing but a Pop Star....ridiculous!

Posted by: jack | July 31, 2008 8:53 PM

It seems John McCain is just a sniper looking for reasons to fire off at Obama. A mature and seasoned politician as he claims to be, who has the interest of the electorate at heart, discusses ideas to make their life better, as oppossed to spending his time looking for confrontation. His general attitude towards Obama is an insight into how meddlesome an administration he will run when he becomes president, much like the current administration.

Posted by: Cook | July 31, 2008 8:51 PM

Mccain and the disability card

I don't know about the race card but Mccain has been playing the disability card for his entire career. No one dare tell the truth or challenge the war hero or say anything bad or he will tell you how his arms hurt or something. He gets away with murder, why, Hell, he's disabled. At one of his town hall meetings he even paraded around an half blind demented read war hero with all his medals on. He has been hiding behind his disability for so long I was actually glad in 2000 Bush went after him. Enough is enough he had been living off his hero stuff with no political substance what so ever long enough. Much of his past in unable to substantiate. He can not account for most of his medals. They were just handed to him because of who his father was.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 8:03 PM

Perhaps Mr. McCain should hire Paris Hilton and Britney Spears to bring more crowds to his less than spectacular rallies. Apparently he envies Obama's popularity all over the world.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 7:32 PM

Does McCain still harbor stress triggered suicidal tendencies?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 7:21 PM

IT'S NOT JUST BECAUSE CAMPAIGN ADS ARE NEGATIVE THAT THEY ARE A PROBLEM ---

McCain's campaign may be getting torpedoed by Republicans.

Posted by: PacificGatePost | July 31, 2008 7:09 PM

McCain should just leave the USA and go back to South America where he was born. They accepted the Nazis after WWI, I'm sure McCain is not that much worse.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 6:53 PM

What a liar. It is obvious that, McCain's campaign has no theme. It's a pointless, meandering babblings of an unhinged group of individuals. The only consistent part of it is its inconsistency and reversals.

Posted by: Geezus | July 31, 2008 5:39 PM

Tom J:

Perhaps you missed the massive Obama outreach to new, teenage voters? I think last time around, they called it "Rock the Vote" ; )

Posted by: JakeD | July 31, 2008 5:35 PM

So McCain's new base is "terrified teenagers". Terrific. Just what the country needs right now.

Maybe they'll all go out on Halloween wearing Scream masks, trying to spread their terror throughout the land. I wouldn't put it past them.

Meanwhile...the rest of us will vote for the responsible adult with the responsible adult advisors (note the list of economists he just met with), looking forward to a responsible adult administration.

Posted by: Tom J | July 31, 2008 5:23 PM

I was not totally decided about my vote but the more I research Mccain the more of a no brainer it is, and after the Paris & Britney ad what choice would any thinking American have but to vote for Paris & Britney.

McCain has made a complete fool of himself and doesn't have the good sense to be embarrassed.

Posted by: mere | July 31, 2008 4:55 PM

If you still believe that you are not smart enough to be part of this conversation.

========
"Did you see the quote yesterday where Mccain was knocking Obama because he works out?"

yeah, Barry was suppose to visiting those fighting for our country who were shot or blow apart, but the gym was more important.

BO>>>> what a manly man!
Posted by: | July 31, 2008 4:19 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 4:25 PM

What movie would that be? There was a movie from a book by POW John G. Hubbell but I don't recall anything about Mccain.

---------

Some people here need to understand celebrity vs war hero.

Mccain had a movie made for his life because he's a war hero.

Obama talks pretty.

Posted by: | July 31, 2008 4:16 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 4:23 PM

So, a war hero is not a celebrity? How do you figure?

Posted by: drossless | July 31, 2008 4:20 PM

BO>>>> what a manly man!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 4:19 PM

Some people here need to understand celebrity vs war hero.

Mccain had a movie made for his life because he's a war hero.

Obama talks pretty.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 4:16 PM

I can't wait for them to debate. A young athletic smart candidate on the one side. On the other side an old moron next last in his class with a head that looks like a deflated muffin.
Did you see the quote yesterday where Mccain was knocking Obama because he works out? Yea, America needs as an example a 72 year old deranged alcoholic with a junkie for a wife. Great first couple of the US.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 4:15 PM

That 18yo just spent the money McCain gave her on the latest Ludacris CD.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 4:14 PM

Obama , spreading accusations of racism everywhere he goes.
he's disgusting.

Posted by: Cry wolf obama | July 31, 2008 4:13 PM

How about the press following up with the 18 year old to see if she was "paid" to make that statement/question?

Posted by: Harry | July 31, 2008 4:12 PM

He should be proud. His fear tactic that mimics bushco really worked--scared the bejesus out of that young woman! There's no shortage of idiotic followers behind him as long as McShame keeps it up.

Obama can't save us either. He's not brave enough to do the right thing and pull us from the abyss the neocons so successfully led us in the past eight years. He will compromise to the middle and call it a good run. We need someone who's on our side, not for the top 1% big corporate greed. The time to take back the government is now. We need to put Nader on the ballot so the two-party democracy mockery will pay attention on what PEOPLE want, not what political benefits THEY will get. WWW.VOTENADER.ORG. He's the one who's working for US. It's time for a REAL change.

Posted by: Maddi | July 31, 2008 4:11 PM

I didn't see Cindy Mccain in the ad. Wasn't it supposed to be a montage of blond junkies?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 4:10 PM

I'm guessing McCain finally figured out how to use a PC, and can't wait to model himself after all those cool people he reads about on TMZ.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 4:09 PM

McCain needs to draw differences. His add was tasteless but on a scale from 0-10 where 10 is the most tasteless, it was only an 8.

Besides McCain may pick up 10000 votes. You say it might cost him 20000 votes. In this campaign against Barack Hussein Obama you have to be tough not smart.

Posted by: JakeD | July 31, 2008 4:05 PM

JakeD: John McCain is the one who had a made-for-tv movie about his life.

Unlike Obama, he owes his entire political career to his celebrity status. Obama became a celebrity because he succeeded as a politician, not vice versa like McCain.

So what's his point again? Why is Obama's celebrity status more appalling than McCain's, and what does celebrity status have to do with either's qualifications to be POTUS?

Posted by: drossless | July 31, 2008 3:44 PM

McCain is "proud" of his ad......
How pathetic.

He has no integrity left. There is no way this man should be elected to any position.

One word to describe McCain: LOSER!

Posted by: abby0802 | July 31, 2008 3:42 PM

McCain is a fanboy who shops for $500 shoes.

He should seriously drop the whole obsession with celebrities... it's sad... and it's beneath anyone who would run for president... and it's revealing as to the sorts of things McCain pays attention to.

He's proving he isn't qualified with every handful of feces he throws at the wall.

Posted by: James McDouglas | July 31, 2008 3:39 PM

I'm a retard.

Posted by: JakeD | July 31, 2008 3:37 PM

McCain outs himself as a fanboy who actually cares about Paris Hilton and Britney Spears. Pitiful.

Maybe if he spent less time shopping for his $500 shoes and obsessing about blonde celebrity trash... he'd have some actual ideas (albeit whacked out Republican ideas) about how to address country's problems... rather than just a bunch of monkey feces to throw around.

Posted by: James McDouglas | July 31, 2008 3:37 PM

JakeD,

How is it a bad thing that the world likes Obama? Germany is the U.S. third or fourth largest trade partner. If the world loves Obama, that's good for business, homeboy. You're the Republican, not me. But this goes to show that Ron Paul and Ayn Rand were right, you have no political philosophy of your own. You're anti-socialist or anti-Obama or anti-books, or whatever nonsense you're againt this week, but you have no policy alternatives. What we have now are your policies. And they've proven deficient at best. Grow up, homeboy.

Posted by: legan00@ccny.cuny.edu | July 31, 2008 3:32 PM

"I'm eighteen years-old and I just have to say, Obama terrifies me,"

I see they had a healthy dose of retards at the town hall. What should scare this 18 year old retard is what George Bush has done to this country in the last 8 years and how electing John McCain will make matters worse- if that is even imaginable.

Posted by: Bill | July 31, 2008 3:31 PM

How does that line up at all with the ad? Is comparing Obama to two has-been celebrities really saying what McCain can do for America? Does this man even watch his own ads? What a fool.

I will admit Obama is a pretty big celebrity right now. But he's also talking about issues. So he's both a celebrity and a legit politician. What's the problem with that?

Posted by: Wow | July 31, 2008 3:30 PM

"We want to have a serious debate. But so far, we've been hearing about Paris Hilton and Britney Spears. I do have to ask my opponent: is that the best you can come up with? Is that really what the election is about?" - Obama

Couldn't have said it better myself. And Dukakis, Gore and Kerry wouldn't have said it.

That's why we win this year. Intelligence matters.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 3:30 PM

This young girl is loudly applauded when she admits to being terrified of Senator Obama. This proves Obama point when he says the Neocons are scaring the American people. Duh?!

Neocons can only win when they scare and divide.

NeoCon's Messy Messiah Complex

Posted by: tankas1 | July 31, 2008 3:19 PM

Obama-Junkie:

Whether they should have used some other (lower) celebrity is not the question. Are you denying that Obama is "the biggest celebrity in the world"?

Posted by: JakeD | July 31, 2008 3:19 PM

If McCain is proud of the Britney-Paris ad, he has proven that's he ready to be president--of the 5th grade! How low,stupid, and insulting to the American people as well as to his opponent is McCain willing to go?

Posted by: sueb | July 31, 2008 3:15 PM

JakeD...don't use the McCain campaign talking points. You are much more intelligent than that.

Whoever is working for the McCain campaign should be fired? Britney Spears was one of the biggest celebrities in 2001. Remember the Bob Dole and Britney Spears' Pepsi commercial.

And Paris Hilton was big back in 2003 to 2004! Remember her series the The Simple Life and such.

The McCain campaign is truly out of touch and it shows. The McCain campaign is proving one thing so far this election cycle, that they are good for a few laughs.

Posted by: Obama-Junkie | July 31, 2008 3:13 PM

John McCain is just a loser, and his campaign is so pathetically out of touch with the issues, this is all they have left. McCain is not running for president, that ended a month or two ago. This is a complete Republican National Committee add. If you support this nonsense, you're a retard. And this offshore drilling nonsense, go check Exxon-Mobil's profits for the quarter, and then explain to me how, in good conscience, you can still support their offshore drilling plan. Some days I don't mind being civil, but other days I just HATE Republicans. Someone should beat the C.E.O. of Exxon w/ a gas pump and put that on youtube. And this nonsensical add? This means so little. Britney Spears votes Republican! She's John McCain's constituency! That's who votes Republicans: Racists/soulless rich whites/and people with an 8th grade education, like Britney Spears. Your party is a joke and so is offshore drilling. I almost want it to be passed just so Republican voters realize that it's complete nonsense. Go ahead, lift the ban. Tell me how that works out for you, you Godless cowards. Keep fighting wars with other people's children. If you support these wars, you have to go fight them. That's the new rule. If you'll concede that, then we'll concede offshore drilling, so Exxon Mobil can take more of your money. Grow up, AMERICA! Or don't. I don';t really care, I live in New York City anyway, we don't take the rest of the country very seriously. And now you see why.

New York City Secession 2010

Posted by: legan00@ccny.cuny.edu | July 31, 2008 3:13 PM

Hasn't Mccains head rotted off yet?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 3:12 PM

There is no way McCain would do a Britney comparison to a popular white male. It would seem ludicrous...but perfectly acceptable to smear a black man...show him as ridiculous, not to be taken seriously...who is playing the race card? McCain just plays it under the table.

Posted by: white female | July 31, 2008 3:00 PM

"Obama terrifies me"

Does she know the Democratic nominee is Barack and not Osama? Dumb B****.

premier, find a new argument. You are stale and boring. We know these problems, tell us something we don't know. Democrats are all saints in your eyes I bet.

American's want too much for too little, waste too much, and expect the gov't. to fix everything. If we had some sort of responsibility we wouldn't be in most of our predicaments we are in.

Its easy to point fingers, why not try taking some responsibility.

Posted by: concerned | July 31, 2008 2:55 PM

"I'm proud of the issues we have raised."

What issues? That Obama is like Spears or Hilton? What issues, pray tell, is McCain raising? The need to remain in Iraq? The need to 'stay the course'? What issues?

Posted by: Cymric | July 31, 2008 2:54 PM

I'm not saying that is a "minus". We can all agree that Obama is "the biggest celebrity in the world" then, right?

Posted by: JakeD | July 31, 2008 2:54 PM

When did that become a minus? Arnold may disagree. Even Gopher from Love Boat won because he was a celebrity. Mccain is pretty much saying "The whole world loves Obama, they wave our flags when he is there." Nice of John to point that out. What a moron.

=====
Sorry, guys -- I was on the "Race Card" thread -- on the Britney Spears ad, is there any Obama supporter who denies that Obama is "the biggest celebrity in the world" right now?

Posted by: JakeD | July 31, 2008 2:47 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 2:52 PM

I can see it now...TV ads showing McCain on video pledging to run a honorable and civil campaign then a quick switch to McCain's most recent attacks ads.

Then an announcer's voice comes on saying "John McCain, how does falsely accusing Obama for being like Britney Spears or Paris Hilton help Americans put food on the table or pay for the high price of fuel? Barack Obama wants to give middle class Americans a $1,000 tax cut and put America on a track that breaks the grip of big oil on our lives!" Then comes Obama's voice..."I'm Barack Obama and I approve this message"

Sweet.

Posted by: Obama-Junkie | July 31, 2008 2:51 PM

wow, McCain isnt the same candidate as he was in 2000
I think everyone thought they were getting 2000 McCain,
Instead we got a much more confused and cranky McCain.
Did you seem him knock the stuff off the shelf in the grocery
store., Or him blowing up on the reporter. His Campaign has
become a punch line. You can see both mentioned train wrecks
at http://www.mccanes.com I am torn, do I vote for Obama,
who I dont think is really the change that he claims, and the
change he is going to bring might be for the worse. He is sooo
arrogent too. Bush was very arrogent. I think weve learned our
lesson for voting for someone who wont admit when they are
wrong. Stay the course is a scary Motto. I dont want that any
more. Obama is a bit scary. OH, did you see the video of
Obama losing his temper., I had never saw that before. They
have that video of http://www.TheObamaPlan.com

Posted by: peter | July 31, 2008 2:47 PM

Where do they get the idea Hilton and Spears are two of the biggest celebrates in the world? How about the Pope, maybe Mandela, or even Bill Clinton, Tom Cruse? No they do a fast half a second jump from two blond white woman and then to the face of a black man.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 2:47 PM

Posted by: JakeD | July 31, 2008 2:47 PM

People don't change, Since they were married he has just lived off his wife like he did his family when he was young. Even his political career was bought for him. He has "NEVER" in his life personally created, built, or accomplished anything on his own. If he had been born into the circumstances of Obama he would have just lived a life on welfare and died of drugs and alcohol. Hell, he has already spent most of his life as an alcoholic as it is. Please, tell me what business he has built or anything he has ever accomplished on his own? Even with no responsibilities, no pressures and everything being paid for, the best he could do in school was to finish 896 out of a class of 899. My God, you can't want this man for your president. Wake up. he wasn't even smart enough to raise the money to run for president with out his wife giving him an allowance. Jesus H Christ, step back and look at this man you want to vote for, is there something wrong with you people.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 2:41 PM

"Obama terrifies me"

Now not wanting to vote for the guy is one thing...but being "terrified" by him? Seems irrational.

That seems to be the new found theme of the McCain campaign...to play to people's irrational fears. How anyone could wrap their mind around some ridiculous comparison of a Harvard-educated Senator, Brittany Spears, and Paris Hilton requires some pretty tortured logic, or no logic at all.

Fear does that to the mind.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 2:40 PM

This is ridiculous.

Whatever happened to McCain's promise to run a POSITIVE campaign?

C'mon, John, tell us what your plans are, what you stand for.

Tell us WHY we should vote for you.

Trashing Obama is revealing the desperation of your lackluster - to put it mildly - campaign.

Posted by: Chuckamok | July 31, 2008 2:37 PM

That 18 year old shill in the audience is "terrified" of Obama... wow...another racist bigot code word.

McCain is earning his political appellation "McSleazy" fair and square.

Posted by: Mr. Wonderful | July 31, 2008 2:37 PM

Re: "I think you need to call him on every shot. Don't let him get away with anything."

Sure, we respect freedom of speech--here in the United States.

Posted by: premier | July 31, 2008 2:32 PM

Republicans have us at war in two countries as a result of Republican lies and deceptions, and we might be in two more wars--Iran and Pakistan--by November. We have alienated the entire Muslim world and most of the rest.

The dollar has lost 60% of its value against the euro, and the once mighty dollar is losing its reserve currency role.

The Republicans' policies have driven up the price of both oil and gold by 400%.

Inflation is in double digits. Employment is falling.

The Republican economy in the 21st century has been unable to create net new jobs for Americans except for low wage domestic services such as waitresses, bartenders, retail clerks and hospital orderlies.

Republican deregulation brought about fraud in mortgage lending and dangerous financial instruments which have collapsed the housing market, leaving a million or more homeowners facing foreclosure. The financial system is in disarray and might collapse from insolvency.

The trade and budget deficits have exploded. The US trade deficit is larger than the combined trade deficits of every deficit country in the world.

The US can no longer finance its wars or its own government and relies on foreign loans to function day to day. To pay for its consumption, the US sells its existing assets--companies, real estate, toll roads, whatever it can offer--to foreigners.

Republicans have run roughshod over the US Constitution, Congress, the courts and civil liberties. Republicans have made it perfectly clear that they believe that our civil liberties make us unsafe--precisely the opposite view of our Founding Fathers. Yet, Republicans regard themselves as the Patriotic Party.

The Republicans have violated the Nuremberg prohibitions against war crimes, and they have violated the Geneva Conventions against torture and abuse of prisoners. Republican disregard for human rights ranks with that of history's great tyrants.

The Republicans have put in place the foundation for a police state, which they have no problem using against fellow citizens!

We must get the Republicans totally out of power, or we will have no country left for any of us!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 2:27 PM