Clinton and Obama Reach Out to Women Donors

Note: Please upgrade your Flash plug-in to view our enhanced content.

By Perry Bacon Jr.
In a bit of a role reversal, Hillary Clinton was funny, while Barack Obama was full of policy details as they appeared together at a fundraiser in the Big Apple for the second straight day.

Speaking before Obama at a "Women for Obama" fundraiser, Clinton talked about her post-campaign life, one where she is "kind of" rested.

"I'm trying to exercise a little bit, which I'm told does wonders for a person," Clinton said.

Noting Obama's reputation for exercising daily while on the campaign trail, she joked "Barack would get up and go the gym ... I would get up and get my hair done."

At the fundraiser, which targeted Democratic women and drew more than 2,000, the Illinois senator focused on his commitments to women's issues. Obama heaped praise on Clinton, but gave a policy-laden speech, promising to appoint federal judges who would defend abortion's rights, expanding the Family and Medical Leave Act and make sure women are paid equal to men if are in the same kinds of jobs.

"We take it for granted that women are the backbone of our families, but we too often ignore the fact that women are also the backbone of our middle class," Obama said "And we won't truly have an economy that puts the needs of the middle class first until we ensure that when it comes to pay and benefits at work, women are treated like the equal partners they are."

Donors had to provide at least $250 to attend, but could raise up to $23,000. Money went to both the Democratic National Committee and the Obama campaign.

By Web Politics Editor  |  July 10, 2008; 11:25 AM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Barack Obama , Hillary Rodham Clinton , The Green Zone
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McCain Economic Adviser Calls US 'A Nation of Whiners'
Next: For FEC, It's Back to Full Strength

Comments

Solidarity Christina.

Posted by: Meredith | July 11, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Meredith - I could not agree with you more! Your comments are right on the mark.

Posted by: Christina | July 11, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Sick and tired of Obama already. The people in his inner circle all has issues. The guy's got issues. A classic whiner and moaner.

Posted by: Paul | July 11, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Women are not obligated to support a political party just because it dangles their reproductive rights in front of them like a brass ring every 4 years then goes back to ignoring them. Every election without fail, the boogeyman of Roe v Wade being overturned is trotted out to remind women why they have to vote Democrat. Ostensibly, the second a Republican president sets foot in the White House, women will no longer have the right to abortions. NEWSFLASH: abortion is a state's right's issue. I'm not afraid of a McCain presidency in a Senate and House packed with Democrats. Do I want McCain to win? NO, but I'm sure not sold on Obama. So we don't all toe the party line and a Republican gets the presidency, so what? Short term discomfort is often the price of long term gain. The Democratic Party needs to stop taking its most valuable and consistent voting bloc (women) for granted.

Posted by: Meredith | July 11, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I refuse to give any of my money to Hillary. She is hurt the woman's movement by being a crying little baby after she lost the race and trying to turn it into a sex issue. Somewhere there must be a woman who can represent all of us and that we can be proud of - Hillary is not her.

Posted by: Suzanne | July 10, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Obama needs to nullify himself.

Posted by: Jackie | July 10, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I made a donation to Hillary this morning. I am not supporting Barack Obama and did not make a donation to him. I am hearing that the DNC are trying to pressure Hillary to take her name off the ballot in August and decline a roll call of voters. The DNC is supposedly telling her if she agrees by Friday or next Friday, not sure, they will help pay her debt, if not, it's a no go. I hope this rumor is not true but if that is the way Barack Obama nullifys opponents (he has in the past) then it is another reason not to support him. I'm hoping Hillary will refuse their request. The debts will be paid one way or another.

Posted by: Lynn E | July 10, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

It is ironic that senior Democratic Party leaders are now finding that it is harder to work with Obama to advance the party's cause than with Hillary or with anyone else. Our star candidate is all puff.

Posted by: Frank | July 10, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, Obama isn't likable enough.

Posted by: Lovelace | July 10, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

It is not inconceivable that, during the primary, Obama had zero respect for women voters who backed Hillary. Obama is will say anything and do anything to win. He will shift loyalty in a heartbeat, if it is to his advantage.

Posted by: Marcus | July 10, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Hillary has no choice but to support Obama. He has strong armed many god politicians in the Democratic Party. This is pathetic, and it will cost him dearly on election day.

Posted by: Martha | July 10, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

74zpnvosga6xur9 http://www.1092782.com/1049060.html > nz8tnxz089 [URL=http://www.273986.com/234865.html] u95dc4wvwi [/URL] 3j8rdt8c

Posted by: nym1hdeypc | July 10, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Hillary Making Nice with Barack
Hillary Clinton's speech before 'Women for Obama' platform in Manhattan this morning was a far cry from her campaign speeches. Gone is the aggressive, condescending and sharp mention of Obama. Her tone, tenor and body language today was very pleasant and personable and for the first time her praise for Obama seemed genuine and sincere.

The Woman for Obama group is presumably the former 'Women for Hillary' group so she was addressing her former constituency but really put a serious effort to support Obama. While some of the funds raised at such gatherings are going towards retiring her campaign debts, but her speech appeared above such considerations.

Is Hillary finally making a serious effort to be considered a running mate? Her speech certainly had the hallmark of a wannabe running mate than a wannabe President. With Jim Webb out of the Veep stakes, the field is narrowing and she may have just improved her chances. The success of such a ticket however is still in question. Will the Southern Whites vote for a ticket that has an African American and a Woman on it or will they scoot towards McCain?

Posted by: Ajaz | July 10, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Question is: If Hillary is the VP, can she provide the assistance with a firm hand and experience that he'll obviously need to stay on course? I wonder...maybe I'll write Hillary in for Prez...

Posted by: Jules D. | July 10, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"No self respecting woman should wish for the success of a party which ignores her sex" Susan B. Anthony

Posted by: GS | July 10, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Women should NOT vote for Obama, who is a sexist pig.

The Democratic party must be held accountable for their failure to denounce the rampant sexism, racism, classism, and voter disenfranchisement continually interjected into this 2008 campaign debacle by Barack Hussein Obama, his campaign, his nasty supporters and ALL media 24/7. In fact, the DNC is complicit in disenfranchising voters. Isn't it ironic that the black candidate is the one disenfranchising voters? What would MLK, who fought so hard for voter rights, who Obama likes to channel at every opportunity think of this?

Obama is a fraud. Obama has misled his Obamabot supporters for months. FISA? Public financing of campaigns? Obama's vote yesterday in favor of both FISA bills is unacceptable. Hillary Rodham Clinton correctly voted NO on BOTH FISA bills. THIS is one reason why we love Hillary.

Hillary has already won the popular vote by winning MORE votes than ANY candidate of ANY party in history! Hillary should be the nominee, she's earned it and she's the most qualified and most electable candidate. It's not too late for the DNC to rectify this unfortunate situation at the DNC convention in Denver in late August when the ACTUAL nominee of the Dem party is voted on. Do the right thing, DNC, open up the convention to be an actual democratic process (gasp) with real ballots (gasp) real votes (gasp) and allow the incredible Hillary Rodham Clinton to claim what should be hers.

The Democratic party stood silent while Hillary was attacked 24/7 in all media but they practically tripped over themselves to get to a microphone every time the slightest critique of Obama was uttered.

Women have been the majority block of the Democratic party for decades under the illusion that the Dem party stood for women's rights. In 2008 we have painfully learned that they do NOT.

Stand up women! Just say no to Obama. Just say to the Democratic party in 2008. Send a loud message. The Democratic party understands two things, money and votes. WE have the power to with hold BOTH. DO SO.

Put your country first and party second. If the Dems foolishly nominate Obama, vote for McCain as a protest. Don't fall for the ole tired hook of Roe v Wade, women's rights are about far more than abortion rights. The U.S. Supreme Court could attempt to overturn Roe right now if they really wanted to. They do not. The real battle for abortion rights is being fought in every statehouse in this country, right now. That's what should concern you on abortion rights! Wake up America!

"You must do the thing which you think you cannot do" Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted by: GK | July 10, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

For those who call Obama a sexist for using the word "sweetie" and say they will not vote for him, they can always depend on McSame to call them "C**TS." Hooray for American women who adore being cursed out--they may yet win the Presidency big-time for the guy who slept around when his wife was disabled, then dumped her and their children for a 20-year-old younger hot chick with multi-millions. We women love being badly treated, and McSame will be sure to kick us in the teeth with his Supreme Court Justice picks.

Posted by: lin | July 10, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

JakeD in the place, tryin' to check your face
Throwin' down some rhymin' 'bout the presidential race
No no Nobama, ain't no way
that me an' my girl Sherry Kay
are gonna vote for you
And though you might get through
And be inspected, selected, elected,
(rejected by me and by Sherry Kay,
but ain't nobody listen to us anyway)
Though you might be elected, damn you might even be
The best president that I will ever see, even so
I ain' gon' be wid it, that's for sure
Look at the situation, examine the fact
I will not support Obama because he is

Posted by: JakeD | July 10, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Who cares, I can't believe everyone has to kiss the asses of these women to just get them to do the right thing. They actually just forward what is already a stereotype of women. They need all this coddling and hand holding. Hillary lost and it is now time to do something for your country beyond your own selfish petty hates. If you were for Hillary then you are for Obama, because they are almost one and the same as far as policies go. If you can't see that then screw you, go ahead and vote against your own interests. Maybe you can do some other kind of self abuse as well because that is what you will be doing if you don't vote, or vote for Mccain.

+++++++
For the first time in my life, I financially supported a candidate who I and many others considered the only competent person to run this country, Senator Clinton. As for the treatment she received both the DNC (Pelosi, Reid, Dean), I also responded to them that I would not vote for or financially support their candidate, Senator Obama. I also will work towards replacing those Democratic office holders in Massachusetts who supported Obama (ie. Kerry, Deval Patrick, etc...). Even if Obama chooses Senator Clinton as his running mate, I as an Independent voter will not support the ticket....

Posted by: LAMM01 | July 10, 2008 12:57 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LAMM01 | July 10, 2008 12:57 PM
===============================

well Lame-mo, who cares what you have done or will do. Nobody really cares what stupid people do. As a matter of fact, there is stupid and there is moron..., the fact you gave money to HRC and because she lost, you will stick a cherry bomb up your butt matters even less. Please... don't waste your vote, vote for yourself.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | July 10, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

NEWSFLASH:

Obama is already doing 10 points better among women than Kerry did, but don't let the facts stand on the way of your imaginary media narrative of the race you are so desperate to be close to sell newspapers!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Posted by: sequoia | July 10, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LAMM01 | July 10, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I was originally an enthusiastic Edwards supporter, then a tepid Clinton supporter (though I sent her MUCH more $$ as she struggled to gain ground). Few of Obama's recent, sharp tacks to the right surprise me now because I was paying close attention. One does not retain basic Democratic ideals while simultaneously "bridging the partisan divide." On June 5th--the day after Obama claimed the nomination--I wrote to the DNC. I said that I would vote for Obama but I would not send his campaign or the DNC ANY money in 2008 because he should accept public campaign finance, as he said he would early in his campaign. I gave a number of other reasons, such as the absurd incompetence of the Democratic nomination process and the unfair treatment of the Clintons by many senior party leaders. Accusations of racism, for example, were ridiculous in my opinion (just as accusation of sexism by Clinton supporters about the Obama campaign were largely unsupported). As angry as I was at the Party, I was far more angry at the media, but that's another topic. I also told the DNC that I would send my $$ to the Senate and Congressional campaigns, and I have done so. I believe that the best case scenario for November is a divided govt...the presidency in the hands of the GOP and the Congress in the hands of the Dems. That's not my preference, that's the untenable position that the media and the DNC have put Dems in. Thanks for nothin!

Posted by: Yellow Dog | July 10, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse