McCain Asks NAACP Audience for Votes

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) speaks during the NAACP Annual Convention at the Duke Energy Center in Cincinnati, July 16, 2008. (Associated Press)

By Juliet Eilperin
CINCINNATI -- Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) called for sweeping educational reforms today in a speech before the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, an association which he said "means more to me than any other," despite his historic opposition to many of its policies.

McCain, who has received an F grade from the NAACP for his votes in each of the past four Congresses, acknowledged that he might not win the votes of the group's members in his race against Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.). McCain skipped the NAACP's convention last year -- he apologized for that today, saying he "was a bit distracted at the time dealing with what reporters uncharitably described as an implosion in my campaign" -- and in 1996 he advised then-GOP Sen. Robert J. Dole of Kansas not to attend it on the grounds that he would face a hostile audience. Today, accompanied by Maryland's former lieutenant governor Michael Steele, who is African American, McCain said he would seek the organization's support for his presidential bid.

"I am a candidate for president who seeks your vote and hopes to earn it. But whether or not I win your support, I need your goodwill and counsel," said McCain, as the crowd gave him his most extended applause. "And should I succeed, I'll need it all the more."

McCain faces an uphill battle in winning over black voters this cycle, given the fact that he faces the first-ever African-American nominee from a major political party. In a Washington Post-ABC poll released this week, African-American registered voters backed Obama 94 percent to 2 percent when matched against McCain. By contrast, the 2004 National Exit Poll found 88 percent of blacks voted for Kerry, compared to 11 percent for Bush.

The presumptive GOP nominee -- who took the stage to the strains of gospel music -- focused his remarks on the question of education, saying he would push for federal vouchers for private schools, greater leeway in teaching certification and an expansion of charter schools.

"You know better than I do how different the challenges are today for those who champion the cause of equal opportunity in America. Equal access to public education has been gained. But what is the value of access to a failing school?" McCain said, prompting applause. "After decades of hearing the same big promises from the public education establishment, and seeing the same poor results, it is surely time to shake off old ways and to demand new reforms."

McCain suggested that by changing the way schools financially reward teachers, they could promote greater academic achievement.

"We will pay bonuses to teachers who take on the challenge of working in our most troubled schools, because we need their fine minds and good hearts to help turn those schools around," he said. "We will award bonuses as well to our highest-achieving teachers. And no longer will we measure teacher achievement by conformity to process. We will measure it by the success of their students."

And while he has blasted Obama several times this week for his stance on immigration and the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, McCain lavished praise upon both the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and Obama this morning.

"Don't tell him I said this, but he is an impressive fellow in many ways. He has inspired a great many Americans, some of whom had wrongly believed that a political campaign could hold no purpose or meaning for them," he said, adding that the fact that an African American is about to receive the Democratic Party's nomination shows how much the country has progressed over the past century. "Whatever the outcome in November, Senator Obama has achieved a great thing -- for himself and for his country -- and I thank him for it."

Democrats, however, questioned McCain's commitment to African Americans in light of his record. Democratic National Committee spokesman Damien LaVera sent out an e-mail of a blog post highlighting how many African-American voting forums the senator has skipped in recent months.

"The NAACP held a forum for all the Republican presidential candidates, and McCain didn't show up," the blog Carpetbagger Report wrote. "PBS hosted a Republican presidential candidates' debate at historically black college in Baltimore, and McCain didn't show up to that event, either. The Congressional Black Caucus Institute organized a debate, co-sponsored by Fox News, and McCain didn't show up to that event, either. But today, McCain will tell the NAACP that he deserves the group's consideration. Once again, McCain is counting on public ignorance to get him through the campaign."

McCain also took a few questions at the end of his speech, some of which questioned his commitment to African Americans. When one woman challenged him, "Did you not have an opportunity to fill out the civil rights survey from the NAACP?" McCain replied breezily, "We fill out literally every survey, so I'd be happy to do that."

A Head Start teacher confronted McCain over the lack of full federal funding for the Head Start program, which prompted McCain to suggest the program deserved more examination is it was going to get additional taxpayer dollars.

"I obviously support Head Start programs," McCain said. "There's no reason you should resent any scrutiny, any oversight and any evaluation."

The teacher replied that with a 1.5 percent cost of living increase, Head Start teachers could not afford to keep up with their rising daily expenses. "If I'm earning $17,500 a year, I cannot afford my housing. I can't afford gas or food," she said. "They need to be making wages that will help support their way of living as well. What are you going to do senator?"

McCain replied that he respected the teacher's commitment to education, adding a compliment that he usually reserves for political supporters of his. "You're a great American," he declared.

The audience was more pleased with McCain's responses to questions on faith-based programs and disaster assistance. When a victim of the recent flooding in the Midwest asked him what he would do to revamp the Federal Emergency Management Administration, McCain responded with fervor, "My feeling is the tragedy and injustice of New Orleans can never happen again." The audience clapped appreciatively, and the senator added later, "The attacks on this country from natural disasters are as bad or worse from attacks by terrorists from outside this country, or from inside this country."

This item has been corrected.

By Web Politics Editor  |  July 16, 2008; 12:42 PM ET
Categories:  John McCain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Return of JibJab
Next: Candidates React to News of Iran Talks

Comments

John McCain continues to be an embarrassment to all conservatives.

At the NAACP, he practically endorses his opponent. He won't permit criticism of his opponent. His own criticism is guarded and practically useless.

THIS is the best the GOP could offer the nation?

Posted by: mark | July 17, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

McCain asking for votes from these folks? This is a laugh. Asking for their vote is like asking them to give up Affirmative Action or Food Stamps...just ain't gonna happen.

Posted by: Sam Deakins | July 17, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

So,when will these two racial panderers &
empty suits Barack Hussein Obama and old
Amnesty John McCain ever get around to even
talking to the white majority voters? As
frankly I am fed up with McCain and Obama
endlessly running to give speech after speech to every two bit phony minority
organization around. And I do mean LaRaz,
and all the rest,while these two clowns go
pander to them endlessly and totally ignore
all the white majority at the same time.
Its time the DNC and RNC Dump McCain and
Obama or go out of business in 2008.

Posted by: Ralphinphnx | July 17, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

If you want a vote, don't hide behind your rich wife and your failure to secure a very expensive Plane. Cut the bull about how heroic you were. Did you kill and watch you fellow Americans on the battle field??

Posted by: justadad55+ | July 17, 2008 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Can we have a NAAWP?

It's called the GOP

Posted by: Chris E | July 17, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Can we have a NAAWP?

Posted by: marvin | July 17, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

I must say to my fellow black Americans...please stop deceiving yourseleves. Obama wants your votes but he does not want you voting for him because he is "black". He does not want this to be about race. He's not that kind of person/politician. If black people start getting happy feet and start staging battles with people who just feel they have the right to support their candidate and don't feel that Obama is deserving of their vote, then it is going to polarize everybody and Obama will not be elected because it will begin to take on the one thing he deparately does not want: "for it to become a black thing". I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
Also I would like for brother Obama to STOP lecturing black people to make himself more appealing to white voters. It time to praise black people for their contributions to America.

(sorry that I had to keep posting this comment over and over, but I was so anxious to get my point out there that I made one too many typo errors and wanted to make the necessary corrections. Thank you for understanding)

Posted by: Ebonyflash | July 16, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

I must say to my fellow black Americans...please stpo deceiving yourseleves. Obama wants your votes but he does not want you voting for him because he is "black". He does not want this to be about race. He's not thai tkind of person/politician. If black people start getting happy feet and start staging battles with people who just feel they have the right to support their candidate and don't feel that Obama is deserving of their vote, then it is going to polarize everybody and Obama will not be elected because it will begin to take on the one thing he deparately does not want: "for it to become a black thing". I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
Also I would like for brother Obama to lecturing black people to make himself more appealing to white voters. It time to praise black people for their contributions to America.

Posted by: Ebonyflash | July 16, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ebonyflash | July 16, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

I msuy say to my fellow black Americans...please stpo deceiving yourseleves. Obama wants you r votes but he does not want you voting for him because he is "black". He does not want this ti bwe about race. He's not tha tkind of person/politician. If black people start getting happy feet and start staging battles with people who just feel they have the right to support their candidate and don't feel tha Obama is deserving of their vote, then it is going to polarize everybody and Obama will not be elected because it will begin to take on the one thing he deparately does not want: {fro it to become a black thing". I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Posted by: Ebonyflash | July 16, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

What about this from Wonkette:
John McCain gave a speech at the NAACP convention today and, to publicize the event, his campaign authorized Dr. Ada Fisher, a Republican running for the House in North Carolina's 12th district, to speak as an official surrogate to journalists covering it.

She has said the following:
"We cannot have a nation high on drugs and have the President... as an example."
and
" And I know that in moments of weakness, people tend to revert those things that they've used in the past. "
She is talking about Obama, but ironically, her words about to Bush and his drinkin' and snortin' days.

Posted by: Ted | July 16, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to vote for either of these two bozos - McCain or Obama. What are my other choices? And don't say Bob Barr or Ralph Nader. I'm not interested in them either.

Posted by: Lucy | July 16, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Did any of you actually watch the speech? It showed a senile old man trying to give information on what he couldn't understand, nor was programmed to understand. I was pretty impressed until he started trying to answer the questions presented to him by people in the audience. As I watched him, I became more and more scared. This man DOES NOT know what is going on around him. Oh, God, in heaven, please don't let this man get elected President of the United States. By the way, I am a white women in the south who was really wondering who to vote for. I got my answer after viewing McCain talk to the NAACP. My God, you should have watched it, it was horrible. This is not a man who should be leader of our nation.

Posted by: craphappens | July 16, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I hate it when white folks claim that black support of Obama is just racially motivated.

Blacks have a history of voting for white candidates (like they had a choice!) But whites simply don't return the favor. How many black senators or governors do you see out there? We've only had TWO elected governors and THREE senators since Reconstruction (including Obama)!
All black members of Congress represent districts with large black populations (thanks to gerrymandering). White folks didn't send them to Washington. That's always been the career ceiling for black politicians. Statewide offices are simply out of reach because they won't get the white vote.

Without gerrymandered black voters, there would be NO blacks in Congress right now (save for the Obama accident).

Posted by: Chris E | July 16, 2008 7:09 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++

'Tis why every time some appalachia type gun toting White Dixiecrat say the absolute majority of minorities like Blacks, Asians, non-White Hispanics, et al. are racist because they don't vote for some honky bible thumbing White, I laugh my butt off.....(I don't even care if they are Conservative or GOP Whites who yearn for the 1850's mores and such; I'm talking about idiotts who claim to be "loyal Democrats" who's "gonna vote for McCain because Obama, as well as those supporting him, are too racist")....

It's time we send these Whites back to ole Europe, as they yearn for decades of life and living in the early 1900's and further back, when women (even White women) and all minorities simply shuffled quietly to the back of the bus, or made way for the big White man (or went over to the other sidewalk).

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Whites have not voted for Black candidates?
Wrong my friend. Massachusetts, a mostly white state has a black governor. New York elected an African-American leutenant governor(who has since become governor. Chicago a mostly white city has had a black mayor. Denver which is 10% African-American has has a black mayor. Seattle, which has an even smaller black population has had a African-American mayor. The same for Los Angeles and San Francisco. I could go on and on...

Posted by: Grej | July 16, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chris E | July 16, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

He went and this is a plus for many independent voters. School vouchers and charter schools would be very good for the next generation of black Americans to get them out of a broken down school system that segregates students by race and class. I remember the old Negro College Fund commercial, "A mind is a terrible thing to waste." Maybe your man Obama can get on the band wagon with this....but oh, I remember there is the teacher's union and even though Obama "reserves the right to do what is best for America" he folds like cheap lawn furniture on this. But really, I hope for the brightest and best future for all our students, black, red, white and yellow, and it just seems to me that this is the quickest way to do it. Kindest Regards and Best Wishes. MG

Posted by: MG | July 16, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Will somebody tell those two minority group
Professional Panderers Amnesty John McCain
and Messiah Barack Hussein Obama that we the Non-Hispanic and Non-Black Majority
here in the USA are fed up with their endless phony pandering to every radical
racist minority outfit and demanding Illegal Alien Amnesty and Leaving Our Own
Borders Unsecure and Sanctuary Cities Will
Not Get Our Votes You Losers Obama & McCain

Posted by: Claudine 1000 | July 16, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

And just like the women and men at the Seneca Falls Convention in 1848 who declared their independence from the Old Order, I celebrated my birthday last year by doing something I had done a dozen times in my head, but had never done publicly: I declared my independence from every bomb dropped, every threat leveled, every civil liberties rollback, every child killed, every veteran maimed, every man tortured, and the national leadership that let this happen. At that pro-peace rally in front of the Pentagon, I noted that nowhere on the Democratic Party's Congressional Agenda for their first 100 days in the majority was any mention at all of a livable wage, the right of return for Katrina survivors, repealing the Patriot Acts, the Secret Evidence Act, the Military Commissions Act, or bringing our troops home now. Nowhere on the Congressional Democrats' agenda was an investigation into the Pentagon's "loss" of $2.3 trillion that Rumsfeld admitted to just before September 11th. And nowhere was there any plan to get that money back for jobs, health care, education, and for veterans. Not even repeal of the Bush tax cuts that have helped to usher in, according to some, levels of income inequality not experienced in this country since the Great Depression. And instead of Articles of Impeachment to hold the criminals accountable, impeachment was taken "off the table.

"

Posted by: Cynthia4President | July 16, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Other then a cute sound bite, what is with you guys and the %1 thing. People who attend the Military Academies are top notch people. I sure you would have washed out the first year.

Posted by: Larry | July 16, 2008 6:09 PM

+++++++++++++

"Top notch people" in what?

Playing with equipments that are dangerous to the human body?

Ways to outflank those who want kill or capture you?

If so, then they are probably nowhere close to serial killers. As a Liberal who doesn't believe in guns or violence in general, I still have a certain twisted sense of admiration for "insane"/"psychotic" individuals who could outwit dozens to hundreds of "professionally" well trained "experts" who have guns, computers, survey equipments and people, and all of society's resources at their fingertip.

Now, we don't call such elusive serial killers "top notch," do we? After all, they can AND WILL elude you and me and practically everyone, no matter how smart or dedicated, FOR YEARS on end....

So, don't be completely idiotic and say people who joint military institutions "top notch" people.

"Top notch people" are those who create machines and gadgets that make life better, people who study and find cures for human ailments, people who pick up trash from the street wherever they walk to make the community better.

Those are "top notch" people, because they don't sit around thinking of ways to out-manuever others....

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

to carprin, you said it all, but i doubt if a lot of people will still get it. I can say i am very seldom proud of this country, i know it's history, ms.pill-popping stepford wife mcbush might be proud of this country, she's rich and white and probably stoned.vote for the person you want to lead this country.for whatever your reasons.and we will do the same.we voted for clinton,gore, and kerry,we knew they were the best candidates to save this country. you voted for the dancing, smirking cheerleader,how is that working for you?

Posted by: lizza lee | July 16, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Michael Steele???
Where is he on McLaughlin calling Obama an "oreo"?

AWOL

But then again, he is the clown who let Ehrlich, Hannity et. al. lie and say that he (Steele) was pelted with oreos at the 2002 Lt Governor debate. Every time they said it, Steele clamped his mouth shut.
A guy willing to let others play the victim card for him.

Posted by: Ted | July 16, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Wow talk about wasting your breath...I can think of about a thousand other things he could've done to help his campaign. What a dumb goon. No wonder he finished in the bottom 1% of his graduating class.
==============================

Posted by: Larry | July 16, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Yep there they go again,the Top Two Panderers Amnesty John McCain and Top
Panderer of all Time Barack Hussein Obama
out pandering to another minority group
organization,this time the NAACP and Black
Voters and right After McCain and Obama's
Endless Pandering to Every Radical Hispanic
and Mexican Phony Organization on earth.
The Democrats and Republicans need to Throw
Obama and McCain under the bus.

Posted by: Ralphinphnx | July 16, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Given the history of African Americans in this country why is it so surprising that 94% of Blacks are supporting Brother Barack?
In case some of you have not read about it nor had it thaught to you in your segregated schools. 250 Years of Slavery, followed by 150 years of De-Jure appartied- segregration. For many years Blacks could not even register to vote much less vote or run for office. When they tried to register many lost their jobs orlost the land they were share-cropping on . It was like South Africa
They had to face the Poll Tax, Literacy Test and many other road blocks were placed in their way.
It was a struggle to get Voting Rights. In 1948 when the Democrats tried to place some Civil Rights items in their platform all hell broke loose.
Strom Thurmond then a Democrat bolted from the party and ran on a Third Party segregationist platform.
Souther Democratics left the Democratic Party in droves over Civil Rights and became Republicans.
Others became Dixiecrats. Meldell Rivers, John Mc Millian Carl Eastland , George Wallace .. does those names ring a bell?
Nixon and others crafted the Republican "Southern Strategy"
Regan launched his campaign in -off all places Philadelphia Mississippi.
Does that town ring a bell?
We let me refresh your memory. That was where the three Civil Righs workers we kidnapped by the Klan and murdered. Goodman Werner Chaney
Two were Jewish and one was Black.
Then there were the assinations and bombings and race riots. The 1917 Race Riots in East St Louis IL know about that ? when the white folks burned down the Black part of town. Then there was the riots of Tulsa Ok and the killing of Medga Evers Martin King and others. How about the slaughter on Edmund Pettis Bridge.
the Little Rock nine, and George Wallace Segregration Now Segration for ever.
So when Blacks support the democrats in such large numbers....
the HISTORY of this country dictates our support for the Democrats and not Republicans and now an African Anerican has at least a 50% chance of winning ? We would be fools not to give him our whole hearted support. Anyone who questions this position does not have a grasp of history

Posted by: Carprin | July 16, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

McCain said Clarence Thomas's devotion to Scalia has been commendable, but that the latter has run out of shoes for the former to shine, and that perhaps he, McCain, would likely replace Thomas.

Senator Leiberman leans over and whispers in his left ear, no that's his right ear (we see things in reverse as the audience), "Well, Senator, you can't fire Supreme Court justices, simply because they are not popular with a certain constituents. These folks, once confirmed, stays until they die, shoots someone in public, or goes medically insane."

McCain smiles forcefully and clarifies his words to the NAACP:

"Err, ah, My colleague, the Honourable Senator Leiberman --- as you know --- just reminded me that I can't let go Clarence Thomas, even as President of the most powerful nation on earth. But, my friends, I promise you what: I will nominate another fine African American, perhaps a bit more like Thurgood Marshall and less like Scalia's bus-boy, Thomas, who I personally think has done a marvelous job for Mr. Scalia, the "brain" of the Supreme Court..."

Here, McCain's words suddenly becomes inaudible; and it's not due microphone malfunctioning....

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Lynn,

What makes you the judge of incompentency? Would it be your lack of experience doing anything?

Posted by: Bill C | July 16, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 16, 2008 5:13 PM
=========================================

I think the poster was arguing the counter point. Noone is saying that anyone not supporting Obama is racist, but then again, stop making the point that 94% of blacks supporting Obama is racist. People vote for who they want to. Anyone stupid enough that skin color is their only choice is really not going to influence this election at all not matter how much they blog

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Here is an actual quote from "Dreams from My Father" [pg. 100-101]:

"To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists and punk-rock performance poets. We smoked cigarettes and wore leather jackets. At night, in the dorms, we discussed NEOCOLONIALISM, Franz Fanon, Eurocentrism, and patriarchy. When we ground out our cigarettes in the hallway carpet or set our stereos so loud that the walls began to shake, we were resisting bourgeois society's stifling constraints. We weren't indifferent or careless or insecure. We were alienated. But this strategy alone couldn't provide the distance I wanted, from Joyce or my past. After all, there were thousands of so-called campus radicals, most of them white and tenured and happily tolerated. No, it remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names."

Posted by: realitycheck | July 16, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

If 94% of the white vote went to McCain and only 2% to Obama then that would be considered racism.

Why?

Can you read? See the post at 4:02pm, which demonstrated that blacks, by the same percentages enjoyed by Obama, voted for white candidates over black ones.

==================================

So, just like past elections, a majority of people are supporting their party of choice. 90% blacks voted for Gore, 88% blacks voted for Kerry, and 95% blacks will vote for Obama because they are democrat's. We will see approximately the same number of whites vote republican for McCain that voted for Bush. But you call them racist even though they have always supported the repub. Your argument that anyone not supporting Obama is racist is naive and it will cost Obama support. People don't like to be bullied into supporting your choice.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I have just one question I would like for the African/American community to respond to in an intelligent manner.

Why is it that if 94% of the black vote can go to Obama and 2% to McCain it is not racism.

Why?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

So, Tori, by your logic, Obama should have given up 2/3 of the black vote he got in the primary to Edwards and Clinton. Because while blacks do vote Dem in the general, they have not so overwhelmingly (95%) supported a particular candidate in the primaries.

Here's a little clue to put in your pocket. Very few people are voting against Obama because he's black. We're voting against him because he's incompetent. Is incompetency a by-product of being black?

(Responding to Tori who ridiculously wrote: What McCain should have done at the NAACP is say to his supporters...If you are voting for me because Barack Obama is black then I do NOT want your vote.)

Posted by: Lynn | July 16, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

have some pride mcbush, you are too old decrepit,mean and just not prez material. if you were so smart, why were you shot down and caught. that's nothing to be flashing about you were incompetent and inept and you paid the price,you are for this war and you embrace that smirking lying dancing goof ball you call mr. prez, who lied on you and your pill popping shopoholic wife in 2004. sit down and continue to live off your rich wife and leave this to the computer savvy generation, we got this.

Posted by: dee schuiltz | July 16, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

To DHarper:
The answer to your question is the difference between night and day. African Americans that are voting for Obama are voting FOR something and not against the white candidate because he is white. Whites who refuse to vote for someone BECAUSE he is black have a whole different agenda. Those people will never vote for a black candidate, while blacks vote for white candidates all the time. . just not many repugs.

Posted by: rbt | July 16, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Myron wrote:

The tone of many who opine about race is that blacks should "get over it." But probably fewer than 10 percent even know what it is we have to get over. I blame our educational system, and its narrow view of history, for this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your post is intended to provide reasons why African Americans shouldn't "get over" slavery, you forgot to include a few points, such as most of slave deaths occurred in Africa dthat uring battles, forced marches, etc. and that these deaths occurred from the early 1500's through the 19th century. You also forgot to mention that most of the slaves being transported were not destined for North America. And you forgot to mention that over half of white immigrants to North America during the 17th and 18th century were brought here as indentured servants and that the first African slaves were actually treated as indentured servants. You also forgot to mention the 2.5 million Union soldiers who fought in the Civil War and the 360,000 who died fighting to end slavery.

Of course, it's much more conducive to martyrdom to remain emotionally stuck in past centuries and to cry about slavery than it is to own up to the crime, drug use, STD, education and poor parenting statistics pervading black culture in this century.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Har, Tori -- that was awesome.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

If that's the case Kase then should we also consider vets of the Iraq war baby burners also? Im very sure that has happened. This occurs in military conflicts.

Or is it the difference between voluntary and involuntary? If McCain did so purposely with malice then yeah.

Or by way of circumstances that comes with armed conflict? We will never know.

Never mind. This is foolish. And Im a fool for responding to this. Oh well.

Posted by: llewis40 | July 16, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Romney got 94% of the Morman vote. Mormans must be racist.

Where is the uproar?

Posted by: Willie Lynch | July 16, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Lakeka wrote "why mcclain come see my peoples? Hmmmmm?

I axe you - What he have to offr? Mac cain is white cracker and weeees dont need him.

Vote Obama - Dats all I'sss gots to saaa."

Dat be a good post LaKeKee

ShaKeKa

Posted by: ShaKeKa | July 16, 2008 4:05 PM
--------------------------------------
LaKeKaee and ShaKeKa Imma so wit chu on dat', lol...we so ignant aint' we, lol...my momma Makeka surd da same thang, lol...she says to me, Nekeka gurl, yous so craze' we's bout ta have uz a Presondent two huh...but you no, hez almost white, damn, damn, damn

Posted by: Ignorant Azz Pointed Hat Wearing B*st*rd | July 16, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Why?

Posted by: dharper | July 16, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Ellenhillburn, you are stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: What | July 16, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I SEVERLY doubt you know anything about the "black community". Please talk about things you know about.
Posted by: Emmanuelle | July 16, 2008 4:08 PM
==========================================

Do you mean like the "Justice Bros." Sharpton and Jackson? who exploit racism for their own personal gains?

Chevy

Posted by: Chevy | July 16, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tori | July 16, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

NAACP is nothing more then an appendage of the left-wing loon party called DemoRats.

Just a bunch of racist Shuck and Jive nobodys

Chevy

Posted by: Chevy | July 16, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

please people listen to this man and give him an opportunity and listen with open ears.

Posted by: ron | July 16, 2008 3:37 PM
---------------------------------------
blah, blah, blah, POW, blah, blah, blah, I don't recall saying that, blah, blah, blah, I didn't say that, blah, blah, blah, I speak for me, blah, blah, blah, POW, blah, blah, blah, when I was held captive, blah, blah, blah, I don't remember saying that, blah, blah, blah, I have to check my voting record, blah, blah, blah, yarwn, blah, blah, blah, oh yeah did I say I didn't say that, blah, blah, blah...

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

llewis40-

But above all, ACCURATE

Posted by: Kase | July 16, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

They are a group that is no longer relevant even in the black community.
**************************************

Posted by: Emmanuelle | July 16, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

John McCain getting the support of the AA community over Barack Obama is about as rediculous as the American people getting support from George W Bush.

Posted by: Becky | July 16, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

McCain wasted his time.The NAACP has no tolerance or respect for anyone who disagrees with their point of view.They are a group that is no longer relevant even in the black community.

Posted by: bayside | July 16, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Lakeka wrote "why mcclain come see my peoples? Hmmmmm?

Vote Obama - Dats all I'sss gots to saaa."

Dat be a good post LaKeKee

ShaKeKa

Posted by: ShaKeKa | July 16, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Christa,

If you'd read a little more carefully you would have noted that I referenced a friend who noted this comparison. This person was raised under Castro's rule so I dare say she may have a better assessment than you on your little recent trip there. I will not vote for Obama or McCain. I am independent and there I do have independence of mind. Keep the hype going cause the fluctuaion in polls is clear indication that your guy will not win. I am not a fan. Never will be. And I am talking about BOTH candidates. I will say, however, at least Senator McCain has a little more experience than that of a community leader. I rest my case.

Posted by: Ellen | July 16, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

why mcclain come see my peoples? Hmmmmm?

Vote Obama - Dats all I'sss gots to saaa.

LaKeKa

Posted by: LaKeKa | July 16, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"A lot of hatred in these posts, but issues of prejudice, bigotry and racism if to any apply to all. McCain was very wise in going to the NAACP to ask for votes, if for no other reason than to give the black population a moment's pause to consider why more than 92% of them are aligned with a black candidate; not anywhere near as open as the other races in America are to an actual consideration of the competence of the candidate rather than a vote based in culture and color."

Then how do you explain 88% of blacks voting for a white candidate named John Kerry? The extra 4% that support Obama is somehow proof of anti white racism? You make no sense.

How do you explain Kerry beating out Al sharpton, if blacks never vote on competence, but solely upon race?

How do you explain Gore beating out Al Sharpton among blacks if blacks never vote on competence, but solely upon race?

How do you explain Michael Steele (a black candidate) losing out to Ben Cardin (a jewish candidate) among blacks if they only vote based upon race?

Don't those facts illustrate how ridiculous you sound?

Do you think it is totally unreasonable for blacks to distrust someone who voted against the MLK national holiday? I now invite you to defend McCain's reason for voting against the holiday...

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HM | July 16, 2008 3:45 PM
-------------------------------------------
O.K., I've taken my moment of pause and I still couldn't hold my nose and vote for McCain just to give some that warm and cozy that some blacks are willing to go against not only their instinct, but to go against their party who has enjoyed the same percentage of votes in the African American voting block (Clinton 92%, Kerry 88%) for most current day Presidental elections. Funny we weren't hearing that Blacks only vote for Blacks when Hillary was polling at 87% of the black votes in the primaries, or when Bill got 92% of the Black votes during his two campaigns. Sure some Blacks are voting for Obama because he's Black, just as some Whites are voting for McCain because Obama is Black, but I think we are all aware that both of those groups are of the same class. I'm Black and I'm voting for Obama because 1) I'm an open minded Democrat who hasn't been given any reason to consider voting for the Repuke that running against my candidate, and 2) because I don't believe my Country can stand a 3rd term of Bush politics, period. So let me just take a breathe and send another donation to my party and to my candidate. Oh, and just so you know, I voted for Cardin a White guy against Steele a Black guy in the last Senate race in Maryland. Wow, I'm sure you're shocked, but there was no inconsistency there either, Cardin represented my views on the direction I want my Country and State to go...this may come as a shock to you, but many, I might even say most Blacks vote the same way.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

listen moron - oups myron - whites have been precluded from many things. between whites is religion, country, etc.
for blacks it was the tribe. get over it everyone has been a slave at one time or another, but blacks in America play the "poor me" card every minute of every day.
keep this in mind, it was blacks that went and captured other blacks to sell into slavery. want to see slavery today, look at the devide between islamic blacks and non islamic blacks. if you go to north africia they will tell you they are not black.
within 20 years of America being a country they outlawed importation of slaves from africia. America even put war ships off the coast of africia to stop the slave trade.
by 1860 slavery brought on the most destructive war in the history of America, 620,000 war dead, mostly whites.
and in case you dont know - not one white person alive today was exempt from being a slave. they called it the feudal system, which was slavery without the obligation to take care of the slaves.
so lets stop all this racist groups stuff and try to just be Americans.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

There is an organization for the advancement of white people it is called Congress and the White House.

Posted by: Hotezzy | July 16, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I just dont like McCain. perhaps because if his age or whatever he seems mean and a bit sullen. With his phony forced smile and unfunny jokes. Phony smiles galore while accepting Bush's and Romney's endorsements, you could tell he wanted to be elsewhere.

and this. I get a sense that he's a couple fries short of a damn happy meal. I mean it. He just comes across as so strange. Gives me the chills.

Posted by: llewis40 | July 16, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

McCain target audience wasn't the people in the room today. GOP's point isn't to win over black voters; it's to convince suburban white moderates that the Republicans aren't racist and they can vote for the GOP with a clear conscience

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Look, I am open to hearing from anyone, good reason why they think McCain will be at least an effective president.

I am seriously willing to listen.

Posted by: Christa | July 16, 2008 3:33 PM
----------------------------------------
Sorry Christa, wish I could oblige you, but I can't...no good reason at all. Sorta like his South Carolina buddy who couldn't cite one difference between Bush's economic strategy and McSame's economic plan. The difference is, of course I'm not out there hitting the stomp for him everyday so I get a pass, lol.

Posted by: Beingsensible | July 16, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HM | July 16, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Hysterical. McCain better work on the votes he stands some hope of getting as he's going to get wiped out in the General Election. America loathes the republicans and once the baby Boomers leave this Earth the republican Party and conservatism is dead for good. Thank god. McCain asking for black votes . . . HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Posted by: Scy | July 16, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Im no supporter of McCain but calling him a baby burner has gotta be one of the harshest crap Ive ever heard someone call a Vietnam vet. That was unnecessary Kase. Cold, mean and stupid.

Posted by: llewis40 | July 16, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

JOHN MCCAIN voted against Martin Luther King Day many time to try and stop the holiday.
Now he is begging you to vote for him so he can continue to discriminate against you. This walking cancer patient is a certifiable joke. Lets show MCdum dum that he + the republican party= no love from African Americans.

Posted by: Jamesp | July 16, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: He does not mean what he says | July 16, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Lakisha wrote:

all white folks is racist. they have ruined this county and trying to ruin obama. but that is alright cause we are taking over in november. just like the inventer of the peanut said, george washton carver, black man can't get free until he is up inside the white house.

_________________________________-

This is another New Yorker joke, right. Satire? Irony?

Posted by: Roy | July 16, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ron | July 16, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Hummm, let me see...I can get a bonus if I take on the challenge of working in a troubled school, or I can get an "award" bonus as a high achieving teacher irregardless of where I teach...oh yeah, I'm taking the "award" bonus and going to work at the school that provides adequate supplies/equipment students in well to do areas which will ensure that I receive my bonus every year and I won't have to challenge my students to learn...yeah, that's what I'm going to do...but, who will cover the troubled schools...not my problem, they'll get bonus' too, so what's the difference?

Posted by: Beingsensible | July 16, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

If I was him I would feel like a fool. After countless discriminations againt blacks he should know that we are the very people that will not vote for him or his party. We know that he is wasting his breath but republican will stop at nothing to try to divide us. In this case he looks like the biggest fool on the planet.
OBAMA08!

Posted by: Jamesp | July 16, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow-
Given the hatred the GOP has for the Black population, I am suprised that the Old BabyBurner even addressed them-

Posted by: Kase | July 16, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Lou, you won't get a break. Because it will be your 'personal responsibility'.
I would consider any person an ignorant if he implies that I should stick with him because he is of my own kind.

Posted by: pete | July 16, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I am seriously willing to listen.

Posted by: Christa | July 16, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

They should have banned him from this convention given his record on civil rights and the King holiday. Amazing how candidates can show up begging when they desperately need votes when they have not made any significant concessions to this constituency since they have been in office all of these years. The audacity of these white politicians is astounding!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jamesp | July 16, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Dem to Ind

I found that The Audacity of Hope spoke of his views on being a politician and Dreams from my father speaks of his experiences of being a black man in America.

Can you tell me what you read in his books that you felt were so divisive.

Posted by: Christa | July 16, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Ellen it was just a suggestion. Most times it is better to see things for yourself as opposed to taking someone elses word.

I will say that I have to laugh at your comparison between Obama and Castro. I was in Cuba and have seen first hand the devestation he caused on his people. I will tell you that there are no similarities AT ALL.

Posted by: Christa | July 16, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

...and did the NAACP say, "go away, Neo Con"

I expect that will be that case.

is this a flip-flop moment?

does anyone care? ( about McCain?)

Posted by: pgibson1 | July 16, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Jamie,
Please resume taking your medications. You are obviously delusional!

Posted by: Delusional Jamie | July 16, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"Why did [McCain] recieve 4 F's..."

I believe, because he's a racist douchebag who voted against Martin Luther King Day. Several times.

" - oh yes he expects people to carry their own weight instead of holding their hands out for government handouts..."

Oops, you screwed up. McCain is notorious for handing out money to the military and large, especially oil, corporations.

What you mean is, McCain doesn't want to help actual human beings; because he bends over like a pretzel and says, "Stick it to me" when it comes to war and corporate profit.

Hope this enlightens you. I get the feeling, tho, not.

Posted by: SteveCO | July 16, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________________
Just as we did eight years ago? I trust the fellow who does public service to do as much good as he can and then move on. I don't trust the fellow that spends his entire adult life at the public trough.

Posted by: Petey | July 16, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Lakisha/Jamesp, or whomever you are; when you are playing these games in an effort to pit Blacks against Whites to turn this campaign into a race issue, check yourself at first please to try and at least distinguish your two postings. All lower case letters speaking Ebonics is a dead give away. Trust me, the Lakisha's that your are trying to portray in your message don't visit WAPO blogs, lol...but your type do because the blogs enable you to take off your pointed hoods and still have cover, lol...

Posted by: Lakisha | July 16, 2008 3:00 PM

------------------------------
I'm so proud of TV ONE for covering just obama. They don't need to cover anything that isn't in our self interest.

Posted by: Jamesp | July 16, 2008 3:06 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

This goes to jamie:

I don't know if you have been in a time warp or not but..... Hillbilly lost. That was how long ago? Let it go....Let it gooo.
You been hurt!

Posted by: Jamesp | July 16, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

All of a sudden McSame is all about educational reform for black communities?? Strange why wasn't this part of his agenda before now? I do not believe he would do anything different than Bush. America is in the worst economic condition it's been in over the past 17 years. Give me a break vote for "CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN", vote for Barack Obama for President of the United States of America in November.

Posted by: Lou | July 16, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

McLame is only getting 1% of the black vote.

That's 1% too high. Who are those morons? Why do they want to vote for Repukes who hate them?

Maybe they're Blackwell's pals. Uncle Toms, Aunt Jemimas and Oreos.

Posted by: Tom3 | July 16, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

People won't vote skin color, will they!?

Nahhh.

McCain - lol! Good joke for us all.

Posted by: A_DC_Denizen | July 16, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Ha, tell the truth, Beingsensible

Posted by: mcg | July 16, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

It is evident that the advancement of colored people, more than anything else, depending on their education.
Doc. Obama got his, large number of black people don't yet should have.
One would think that the primary goal of the NAACP should be to demand a better education and also better funding for the public education system.

Posted by: pete | July 16, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

As an African American. I stand fully behind OBAMA. He is the leader for people of color in America. He is the only person that has the mental capacity to give a damn about everyone not just whites. Sorry MCCAIN you don't have a clue and could care less.

Posted by: jamesp | July 16, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Ha, this is funny

Posted by: mcg | July 16, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

People with the anonymous postings crack me up. To the person talking about all white events, you might want to look around. The reason there are black designated events are because blacks are a minority, duh.

If you knew your history or even present day society, you would know that there are still establishments that are whites only.

Come on you can do better than that. Anger is so unbecoming.

Posted by: Christa | July 16, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

McLame is the Repuke candidate.

Repukes are racist bigots.

Especially the black ones. Blackwell disenfranchised 300,000 of his fellow blacks in Ohio in 2004. In 2006 he lost the election.

What does McLame want the NAACP to help the Repukes do? Put burning crosses on all their lawns?? That's what Repukes do best!!

I hope the NAACP gives McLame the cold shoulder.

Posted by: Tom3 | July 16, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

McCain obviously does not follow political races very closely, otherwise he would know that Michael Steele--best know for his comment "Bush is my homeboy", was beat out of a MD Senate seat by Cardin, a white guy in a predoment African American district. Steele tried to use the race card to convence African Americans to vote for him simply because he's black; but it didn't work then and it won't work now, because contrary to popular belief, black people can think beyond race when casting their vote. Obama is enjoying much of the same percentage of African American votes as did Clinton, Gore, and Kerry. We know the GOP does not have our interest at heart when making policy decisions or in a crisis situation. I guess Steele was the only Black face McCain could find to drag along. It's actually an insult that he would bring Steele along much like saying "I'm not racist see I have a Black friend." I'm not suggesting that McCain is racist, but why hasn't he taken Steele along with him to places like Iraq, or say West Virginia?

Posted by: Beingsensible | July 16, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jamesp | July 16, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

The following is why African Americans will not even consider republicans. I couldn't have expressed it any better. They don't need us and could care less about us.
Case in point:

McCain doesn't need black votes and shouldn't even ask for them.

Posted by: candide | July 16, 2008 2:54 PM

Posted by: Jamesp | July 16, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lakisha | July 16, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jobo | July 16, 2008 2:52 PM
________________________________________
He was in Detroit in June. I believe Detroit is considered an inner city.

Posted by: Petey | July 16, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Why does Obama's picture appear next to nearly every McCain story on the Google news page?? How very odd!

Posted by: Nanc | July 16, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jamesp | July 16, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

The problem with race relations is that everyone has an opinion but few people know anything about it.

If you have never heard of the middle passage or the Atlantic slave trade, for instance, you really don't know anything about African Americans. It was a holocaust: Eight million dead. Hit Wikipedia.

For the record: The NAACP membership is not limited to blacks. Anyone can join. The founding members were primarily white.

Whites don't need a similar organization because whites in America have never been barred from power or influence because of their skin color. It's somewhat annoying that something that should go without saying still needs saying.

It is not uncommon for groups that have suffered historical discrimination to organize for their own defense. Thus we have the Anti-Defamation League for Jews, the Human Rights Campaign for homosexuals and the National Organization of Women.

This discussion is just another indicator of how far we have to go. Obama's candidacy is an indicator of how far we've come.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Today, I prefer to see the glass as half-full.

Posted by: Myron | July 16, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

McCain doesn't need black votes and shouldn't even ask for them.

Posted by: candide | July 16, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Senator McCain is going to have a rough go of it since his being a Republican, and not being Obama, means he can't take the black vote for granted - like Obama and the Democrats; in fact, you won't see Obama campaigning in the inner cities - he does'nt have to.

Posted by: Jobo | July 16, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

We African Americans will not vote for the dude. Who in there right mind would vote for someone that doesn't have you on even on his radar. We know that at the very least OBAMA knows what it is like to be black living in America. White people don't have a clue. The society works for them and that is all they care about. They don't really care if it victimizes other people as long as it works for them. OBAMA08!

Posted by: Jamesp | July 16, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

The very strange thing is I do not feel either McCain or Obama will be president. I can't pinpoint why I feel this, but I feel it strongly. As for Christa who suggests I read Obama's books, no thanks. I've seen/heard enough of him (and his wife, for that matter!) After Labor Day, any hopes of an Obama presidency should have evaporated. Once, just once, I would like to have a candidate run that I can stand fully behind and feel proud in my convictions. I feel this not about Obama or McCain. A friend from Cuba said there are great similarities between Obama and Castro. Hmmmm...I do not support arrogance and I will not support Obama or McCain. I live in D.C., so I guess my vote doesn't really count, anyway. I will likely do a write in campaign for one of my dogs.

Posted by: Ellen Hilburn | July 16, 2008 2:37 PM
------------------------------------
It's that vibrator you're sitting on; rise up off of it and the strong feeling will go away. Try finding a man and you more likely won't ever get that feeling again unless you cheat. Another thought might be to train one of your dogs to lick you just there, lol...may as well use them for something since you think so much of them that you're willing to cast your only vote for them.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Steve posts:
"I would love to be a card carrying member of the National Association for the Advancement of White People."

Simple, register to vote as a Republican (if you haven't already) and you'll get a voter ID card that will satisfy your craving.

Posted by: JK5432 | July 16, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Repubs would make a better case if they actually did something for minorities. It all goes to show that Repubs are all talk when it comes to minorities. They talk a good game during the election cycle, but what have they actually -done- to help create racial equality in America? Goose eggs and Katrina come to mind.

Posted by: Dr. Don Key | July 16, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

That organization would NEVER endorse McCain. Their entire agenda is based on one issue only- what is good for African Americans. What a travesty. There is no such organization for any other ethnic group. I think it should be disbanded. It is out of date and there is no longer a need for it. Obama is living proof. Black people ARE equal in the U.S.

Posted by: Washington DC native | July 16, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Let us all join the National Association for the Advancement of White People organization.

Posted by: steve | July 16, 2008 2:30 PM
--------------------
It's called the GOP

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ellen Hilburn | July 16, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Soldiers are nothing but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
This is what a vote for McClone is.
Republicans want you kids for their profits. VOTE REPUBLILCAN!!!

Posted by: 1-20-09 | July 16, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

MCCAIN had plenty of chances when black leaders was trying to have debates with the republican party and twice they backed out. The democrats didn't do that. As an African American I say he had his chance to treat us right but chose not to. African Americans unite and show the republican what it feels like to be completely ignored.
Hes got some nerve.

Posted by: jamesp | July 16, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

--------------------
This guy has no McShame

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Of course they won't vote for McCain.. He has a different skin color...now we are seeing racism at its finest...more government programs they want...

Posted by: robinhood | July 16, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Why did he recieve 4 F's - oh yes he expects people to carry their own weight instead of holding their hands out for government handouts (where money was stolen from one group and given to another).

Posted by: zlato | July 16, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: steve | July 16, 2008 2:13 PM
-------------------------------------
You are; it's members are made up of you ignorant few who have not advanced at all.

Posted by: A Non-Card Carrying White Person | July 16, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

The fact is that Senator McCain's long Senate Record of votes rated him a series of 4 straight F's. So if you agree with the NAACP agenda at all, don't vote for Senator McCain, unless you are an idiot swayed by kind words versus a long history of actions which make those words a lie.

Posted by: Muddy | July 16, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: steve | July 16, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

mccain is crazy and old

Posted by: vick | July 16, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Both candidates really stink. The two party system stinks.

Posted by: David | July 16, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I am African American and an Obama supporter but I am proud of McCain today for doing what so many from the GOP failed to do. Although African American should be proud of Obama our vote should not be accepted as a given by either party. If it is we will be marginalized by both parties.

He may not win our vote but if he wins the election we need him to be our president as well as the rest of the country's.

Way to go McCain!

Posted by: james - Los Angeles | July 16, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Screw these race-baiters McCain. First kissing butt to the Hispanics now this. Are you sure you're not running for the DNC?

Posted by: Toxic Avenger | July 16, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I continue to eat pretzels, although they make me thirsty

Posted by: Huh | July 16, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"Based on the CIA world factbook, blacks make up 12.85% of the US population, which means that. There the difference between McCain losing 96% of the black vote and Bush losing 88% is only about 1% of the total population."

This is true except that in some states the black population makes up 30-40% of the population and so it could make a difference in carrying the individual state or not. And since the electorial college votes are awarded by state and winner take all, it is worth the try.

Posted by: zlato | July 16, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"... suggest the program deserved more examination is it was going to get additional taxpayer dollars ... "

Sure hope that "is it was" goes to grammar education.

Posted by: Editor | July 16, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I have read each and eveyone of you all comments. And I must say that some of you are very ignorant. I take nothing away from McCain nor Obama because they are well educated men. Their characters speaks for itself. You are throwing stones on both sides of the fence as if you are holier than thou. If you are without SIN cast the first stone. What we need and the people will vote is someone to get us out of this devasting situation that we are in. I know it will not be easy but if they put their Faith and Trust In God, he will carry which ever one of them through. I am so sick and tired of evil peoples wicked ways and comments about one another. Take a look in the mirror at ourselves first and tell me what you see. I'm sure there is something that you don't want to see about yourself. So in other words work on yourself before you found fault in anyone. And that's my say. Get right with the Lord and Maybe just Maybe your life will be blessed abundantly!

Posted by: P. Ward | July 16, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Before you vote, ask yourself...

WHY am I voting for this candidate?

What major accomplishment has this candidate achieved? By "major" I mean the achievement was known nationally and it had a significant (and positive) impact on the American people.

To what degree are American voters aware of this candidate's voting record. If this candidate is elected, do we truly KNOW what this candidate is going to do with the greatest military and technological power in the world?

Who is qualified to be commander-in-chief?

If each voter were to ask these and other relevant questions, there is only one possible outcome. Unfortunately, the country seems dead set on ignoring wisdom and electing someone without qualifications and without a substantial voting record. This country is insane. We always seem to make the wrong choice...

Posted by: Stephen | July 16, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

what organization has the highest number of grads in state and federal prison - HEAD START!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: P. Ward | July 16, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: steve | July 16, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

"If whites become a minority that are repressed economically, socially and in education, etc. . ." is never acceptable. all you did was come up with an excuse for segregation, and there is never such a valid excuse.

I went to all black schools and blacks were president of the student body, etc., so they need a special organization?

it is racist to limit any organization to membership based on race.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

McCain is such a stereotypical Republican...case in point..these school vouchers for private schools. Tell me this..how many poor, urban Blacks...even with a voucher could afford to send their kids to a private school...the difference in price would still amount to many thousands of dollars a year. What McCain and the Repubs really want are those school vouchers for their well off white folks who CAN afford private schools. Hey McCain...just stick with with gas tax vacation idea...it's just as lame...but more folks will buy into that scam.

Posted by: A.Lincoln | July 16, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"how would blacks like it if there was a nation association for the advancement of white people?"

If whites become a minority that are repressed economically, socially and in education, or perhaps can't get a home or business loan based solely on the color of their skin or get pulled over for driving while white or maybe lynched or put in jail for consorting with black women then YES, there should be a NAAWP.

Posted by: JR | July 16, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

McCain has as much in common with African Americans as he does with Hispanics

He has done Nothing for immigration reform, what I mean is he voted for it then against it.......so he nullified his own record for immigration reform....

He has done nothing to promote equality in the workforce to prevent or empower the people from sexism or racism

but since Jesse Jackson said Obama was talking down to blacks, McBush decides to step in and try to win over those "disheartened" african americans just like he tried with women after Hillary stepped down.....sad sad little man

McCain, stick to the things you know....WAR AND BIG BUSINESS (corporations)

Posted by: Oregon4Obama | July 16, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ryan | July 16, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

McCain asks for Black support while the Rovain propaganda organization Fox News smears the Black candidate's wife?

It's time to stand up to the 27% neocon bullies who took over this country with politics of hate, racism and fear and who think it will work again this time.

Boycott Fox News' advertisers. Go to their web sites, click on the "Home" or "About Us" page and select "Contact Us". Tell them their company is targeted for a nationwide boycott until they remove their advertising from the racist Fox News and FoxNews.com

foxattacksobama.com

Posted by: Roy | July 16, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

The underfunding of social programs like HEADSTART, and more, is long standing policy. Senator McCain and other HAWKS like him, have decided that MILITARY spending trumps social spending.

You don't need to look far for plenty of evidence that education of americans is sub-standard. HEADSTART is a wonderful program, but it cannot reach full potential without more attention.

It would be interesting to ask McCain -- a standard Military man -- what he feels about Bush's "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND" initiative. The results for many drop-outs have been dismal.

Posted by: Richard Morris | July 16, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Christa,
I have read Obama's books and that is why I am NOT voting for him. He is very divisive. His books have many comments that sound just like Wright. He also attributed the title of one of his books to Wright. If this inexperienced candidate is the "Unity" candidate, all Americans are in big trouble.

Posted by: DEM now IND | July 16, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Why are people living in the past? Your choices are Obama and McCain.

It saddens me when people have to degrade or make false accusations about people to try to make themselves or someone else look better. Instead of being negative, can you tell me what it is that you like about the other candidate. This may help others to consider you point.

Posted by: Christa | July 16, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

McCain has lost every war he has been in.

McCain was one of the lowest scoring military students ever.

McCain has one of the worst military records one could have - even with the support of his Admiral father. He knows how to act like his father, but has nothing to back it up upstairs.

McCain has no business experience. NONE. He's never worked a real job. He knows very little about how america works.

McCain couldn't even read this website if he wanted to - he doesn't know how to use a computer. McCain is out of touch with america. He uses servants to attend to all his needs - he lives of his wife's and our money. Even when running for POTUS, he only works 3-4 days a week. Does he even want to be POTUS?!

McCain has only negative value to america as POTUS.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

LOL, I just honestly cannot imagine anyone with a single ounce of common sense supporting McBush. Tell me it aint so.

JT
www.FireMe.To/udi

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Ellen,

I would respectfully suggest that you read Senator Obama's books. It may give you a different perspective on what he is trying to do for this county.

I am also planning on reading McCain's book. To know them is to read about them in their own words.

Posted by: Christa | July 16, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Which hate group? The conservative coalition or the republican party?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

....and after I get your votes, can I have your money? No, you won't get anything in return for giving either to me, MY FRIEND.

Posted by: McCain | July 16, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

It is great that McCain is working hard to earn black votes. The man pays tribute to black civil rights leaders. Sadly, black votes are automatically handed over to Obama, who did nothing to earn them other than exploiting the fact that he looks black.

Posted by: Michael | July 16, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

He initially opposed Dr. King's birthday as a holiday...nice.

Posted by: jatox | July 16, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wolfcastle | July 16, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Give McCain credit for going and presenting his case to an audience so heavily weighted against him. Nobody can say the old buzzard lacks courage. At least he's not looking for somebody to surrender to.

Posted by: John | July 16, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Oil! We cannot keep up the demand for it right now! Diversity Alliance for Sustainable America. www.earthtimes.org/ stated in it's article that if the U.S. grants amnesty and gives citizenship to 12 to 30 million illegal migrants already here, as McCain, Obama and the majority of Democrats propose. If all those naturalized citizens could possibly add 120 million U.S. and foreign-born relatives to the U.S., in the next 20 years whom all consume energy. Does the American people need to escalate the 315 million plus population, the census estimates we have now? To a new total of 435 million?

Look at Mexico, China, India! Overpopulated countries, where people starve to death everyday. How are taxpayers expected to pay for supporting all those poor people, their children and their elderly. Whose going to pay once they sponsor their extended families from other countries? What about the next rush on the border? We cannot even sustain our own people, who live in poverty? Are we heading for overpopulation like other countries? Foremost, we must remove the criminal aliens from America, that why Democrats must sponsor the Federal SAVE ACT (H.R.4088) Enforcement only.

Where are the newcomers going to drive their cars, on already gridlocked highways? Are they going to start clearing more farmland to build more houses? What about water shortages in the Southwest? Think of the consequences if we pass another AMNESTY? Read unsuppressed facts at NUMBERSUSA.

Posted by: Brittanicus | July 16, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

McCain has a snowballs chance in h*ll to get the Black vote. The first opportunity in 232 years to have a Black man in the White House, and they're going to vote for this very old, very white, very pro-rich Republican??!!!! HA!.............HA!

Posted by: A.Lincoln | July 16, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: A.Lincoln | July 16, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I have to give McCain credit for his courage in facing such a anti-white and hostile hate group.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

As an NAACP member, I tell you

I can't wait to vote for McCain's Confederate Party!

Strom Thurmond was not a racist, btw.

Posted by: George Cruciiform | July 16, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Why is he pandering to the hate group?

Posted by: BenLaguer | July 16, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Black Americans want a brother in the Oval Office. Barack has a lock on these votes. Now he has to convince white folk that he isn't a radical lib and a lying fake.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

G8 Obama is getting 95 percent vote among african americans.

The recent quinnipiac poll had him at 94 percent to McCain's 1 percent among african americans.

The recent abcnews poll has him at 94 percent to McCain's 2 percent among african americans.

The CBS poll has him at 89 percent to 2 percent.

Another poll had it at 96 to 3 percent.

It was Bush who got 11 percent among african americans and held Kerry to 88 percent.

Obama is getting almost unanamous support among african americans. And with the huge turnout his race actually is a benefit for him rather than a negative.

Posted by: Jesse | July 16, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I am just not thrilled with either candidate. Honestly, I think this is a case of hype carrying one or both candidates far. Hype does not a president make. Come on people, wake up!

Posted by: Ellen Hilburn | July 16, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Obama never visited europe.

Obama no business background.

Obama no experience in anything except running for office.

Obama called maliki the president of iraq.

Obama called the leader of canada the president of canada.

Obama said 57 states.

Obama said 10,000 people died in a tornado in kansas.

Obama called sunrise florida sunshine florida.

Obama doesn't know that psycological effects are a term for the oil markets.

Obama said 100 million died in burma.

Obama bought his home from a rezko who was under investigation and saved 300,000 is that wisdom?

Lets make no mistake about it Obama is the weakest candidate that the dems could have run.

Hillary in a poll just conducted is doing 10 percent better than Obama is doing against McCain.

Obama is a very weak candidate who got less votes than Hillary and shouldn't be the nominee.

Hillary had far more knowledge and experience in her finger than Obama.

Hillary was the leader while Obama was the american idol with no substance.

Posted by: Jamie | July 16, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

It is resonable to request but with the difference in talent and qualifications so heavily weighted to Obama, I find it hard to understand why obama does not poll 95% among African Americans. There are apparently a more significant fraction of the population that value something more highly than race, competence and wisdom. Wish pollsters would find out and tell us.

Posted by: G8tr | July 16, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse