Obama Defends Michelle

By Garance Franke-Ruta
The dog days of summer are a perfect moment to step back, reflect and come out with the magazine pieces that take a sweeping view or focus on the lighter side of life. In addition to the Ryan Lizza epic on Barack Obama's post-law school Chicago years from last week ("How Chicago Shaped Obama") here are some items of interest today:

Cindi Leive, Glamour interview with Sen. Barack Obama. Quoth Obama: "Everybody who knows Michelle knows how extraordinary she is. She's ironically the most quintessentially American woman I know. She grew up in a 'Leave it to Beaver' family. She is the best mother I know. And our kids are a testimony to that, because she's really had to raise them, oftentimes without me being there. She's the most honest person I know, she's smart, she's funny, so yeah, it infuriates me. And I think that it is an example of the erosion of civility in our political culture that she's been subjected to these attacks, and my attitude is that the people who have attacked her in the ways that they have...if they've got a difference with me on policy, they should debate me. Not her."

Chris Hayes, "MoveOn at Ten": "This year, MoveOn turns ten. News of the organization's advanced age tends to elicit the same startled response as word of a childhood star's divorce. But more important, the anniversary serves to highlight just how far the organization has come.... And yet the roots of its success remain largely misunderstood."

Christopher Beam, "One-Armed Vegetarian Live-In Boyfriends: The quest for this year's sexy swing demographic": "Every four years, the media announce which slice of American voters--Soccer Moms, Security Moms, Waitress Moms, NASCAR Dads, Office Park Dads, Joe Six-Packs, Angry White Males, or One-Armed Vegetarian Live-In Boyfriends--will decide the election for the rest of us. Equally ritualistic is the gleeful debunking of these ever-proliferating categories of swing voter. This year, with John McCain and Barack Obama redrawing the electoral map, it's going to be difficult to pinpoint a single group as the key to victory. But that doesn't mean media outlets (including this one) won't try."

By Web Politics Editor  |  July 17, 2008; 4:27 PM ET
Categories:  Currently Reading
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Yes We Can? Not So Fast, Says McCain
Next: McCain Softens Spokeswoman's Take on Obama Trip

Comments

I spell better than that. I thank you for my errors.

Posted by: justadad55+ | July 18, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Your Country is full of sick. The end. You are the looser, not Canada,not the world, and may I say you need us. Your country is totally screwd, blue and tattooedMost of your people should not own a comuter. The media is grasping at you silly blogs. Tose who consider this note are REGECTS, SORRY.
May your god bless you?

Posted by: justadad55+ | July 18, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

The Obamas are just so icky. Not Presidential. Not by a long shot. The Dems are really blowing 2008. They can still fix this situation at the DNC convention next month in Denver.

The Democratic National Committee must open up the convention to include both Hillary and Obama's names placed in nomination, allow speeches by and for both, place both names on ballots, allow votes to be cast and allow ALL votes to be counted. Full representation must be given to disenfranchised voters in Michigan, Florida and elsewhere. No nominee can be legitimate without a real democratic process. The DNC should be ashamed of themselves (and Obama) for trying to forbid protesters and homeless persons. Shame.

The superdelegates job is to vote for the most qualified and most electable candidate for the general election. That candidate is and shall remain Hillary Clinton. Hillary has already won the popular vote, winning MORE votes than ANY candidate of ANY party in history! Hillary has earned this nomination.

Call, write the DNC, the media, the officeholders and DEMAND that the DNC open up this convention to a real democratic process!

"NO woman should wish for or work for the success of a party which ignores her sex"
Susan B. Anthony

Posted by: LP | July 18, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

is "Glamocracy" how Obama reaches out to women voters?

Guess we'll just have to get over it!

I am still laughing. Its even funnier that the glamshot of the Obamas on US Weekly.

Posted by: Echo21 | July 18, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Oh boy - the column/posts in Glamour is a segment called "Glamocracy!".

Quintessentially Obama.

Posted by: Echo21 | July 18, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I think its hysterical that Obama gave an interview to "Glamour".

GLAMOUR for pete's sake!!!

I'm sure it was very hard hitting.

Posted by: Echo21 | July 18, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Barack Obama's wife and children are darlings. May I add, if he stands up for his wife like any true man would, he will stand up for the women and children of your Country To.

Posted by: justadad55+ | July 18, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Whe will you Americans start thinking. Your Country and many more are ruled by a handful of elite unknows. Barack Obama will have the courage to move past the true decision makers. You have had a President for two terms who had to be taught to speak publicly. That my freids took a couple of years, Give him a chance. His hounesty in saying it will be a learning everyday is fact, He is just a man with one heck of a mess to clean up. Also I admire his strngth to stand and defend his wife, this tells me he will defend your country with all he has.

Posted by: justadad55+ | July 18, 2008 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone care that this 3yr senator from Illionis just doesn't have the experince needed for the job?
He even stated 3 yrs ago when he was elected to the senate that: HE WOULD NOT HAVE THE EXPERIANCE NEEDED TO BE THE PRESIDENT IN ONLY 3 SHORT YEARS. HE SAID HE BELIEVES IN HAVING THE EXPERIANCE TO DO ANY JOB CORRECTLY AND HE WOULD NOT HAVE THAT IN ONLY 3YRS.

I'm not pulling this out of thin air here people. His words, his mouth, not taken out of context.
Who cares about his wife, who cares what color he wants to say he is.
Who cares?!?!?!
Electing Senator Obama President after only 3yrs of political experiance would be like putting Charlie Brown in charge of Department of Defense.

Posted by: lcornforth | July 18, 2008 1:35 AM | Report abuse

Gian, are your fingers tired from clinging to your bitter, angry distorted vision of America? Michelle Obama never said she wasn't proud of America, and by the way ... your hero Johnny boy has said almost the exact same thing:

"I really didn't love America until I was deprived of her company," McCain said in an interview with Fox News earlier this year.

So is it better to not really LOVE your country than to not REALLY be proud of its political stunted growth??? I understand the context and nuance of both statements -- as does Laura Bush among other people. So why are you so unable to let it go? Does it scare you to have a true Horatio Alger kind of couple in the WH? Is it a problem that this black woman, raised by a disabled blue collar Dad (and his wife -- omg, a black nuclear family)shows the best of the American dream? And do you REALLY want to start comparing the two spouses? Do you REALLY want to get into, oh I don't know, drug addiction, infidelity, stealing husbands, being a rich heiress who was involved in the Keating 5 loan debacle? So THAT profile is better than a couple of statements on the trail? Maybe that's why Cindy stands behind John like a Stepford wife ... disgusting.

Posted by: straight talk my a** | July 18, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

When Barack Obama decided to run for President ... and when Michele Obama decided to make political comments, they became fair game for the media. Their arrogant attitude at thinking they are above reproach is disturbing, especially since Obama turns everything into a photo op, and has enjoyed twice the coverage of McCain. In addition to Michele's comments about not being proud of America, or that America is a mean country, Michele and Barack chose to subject their young children to the anti-American racist remarks of Jeremiah Wright throughout their entire childhood.

Posted by: Gian | July 17, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse