Obama Lead Nearly 2 to 1 Among Jewish Voters

By Jon Cohen
Barack Obama has a large, nearly 2 to 1 lead over John McCain among Jewish voters, according to the latest Gallup data.

Obama's 60 to 33 percent advantage in polls conducted before his high-profile overseas trip is close to the average split among Jewish voters in exit polls going back to 1972 (65 to 32 percent), but if McCain gets a third of these voters on Election Day, he will do better than any GOP candidate has since 1988.

In the most recent Post-ABC poll, Americans overall were about evenly divided between Obama and McCain on the Israeli-Palestinian issue, just as they were on Iraq, Iran and international issues more broadly. Asked who would do a better job handling the situation involving the Israelis and the Palestinians, 44 percent said they put more trust in McCain, 42 percent in Obama.

Continue reading at Behind the Numbers»

By Web Politics Editor  |  July 23, 2008; 11:54 AM ET
Categories:  The Pollster
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: At Holocaust Museum, Obama Vows 'Never Again'
Next: Plouffe Takes Obama's Case to the Hill

Comments

All I know is President Bush's ratings would go through the roof if he prosecuted OBAMA under the LOGAN ACT.

Posted by: chris5434 | July 23, 2008 5:22 PM
----

LOL - That's typical Republican criminal thinking!

"We're losing, so lets abuse the law so we can win!"

Bush should be waterboarded right now for all the info he was withheld from this nation, then sent to GitMo for the rest of his feeble life.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Vote for Obama - vote for McCain...the same difference. Both represent old time politics. Want something new and improved?

VOTE LIBERTARIAN!

Posted by: I. M. Tru | July 23, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chris5434 | July 23, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Let's look at the Israeli perspective on Obama instead of the garbage we are fed by paid bloggers.

Posted by: bpower | July 23, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Rich, I agree with you about the mantra etc. And also, as it happens, that McCain + democratic congress would probably be safe enough, that is, be more or less a deadlock. Unless, of course, the president decides we need to go to war....

But I decided to support Obama despite his inexperience because I think that he has "the right stuff" -- that is, judgment, sense of self, intelligence and analytical ability, and vision. I decided this by looking at his record and listening to him and as he moves into specific policy areas, I am not changing my assessment. I think the guy has got it to be a fine leader and not just of 50 percent + 1.

I expect rookey mistakes; I'll take the risk. Since when is experience a guarantee of success in leadership? As for immature, I don't find him or his candidacy immature, although a lot of immature people are attracted to the mantra, etc.

Posted by: Jason_M | July 23, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

All McCain has to do is get our Landsman, Joe Lieberman on the ticket...

Posted by: David H | July 23, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

McLame cares more for the Westport Jews than for the real Jews. Why? Because they give lots of money to the Republicans.

Posted by: Ben Dover | July 23, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I married a very nice girl that was not of my faith. She earned a PhD in chemistry, and holds an assistant Department Head position at the university level. I doubt that our childrens's IQs are diminished due to the lack of Jewish brains. You sound bitter. Shame on you.

Posted by: David H | July 23, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Big Deal, McCain Leads Nearly 200 to 1 Among KKK Voters!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

If I a reading this right, 33% of my fellow jews need brain transplants.

Thus we see, in the flesh, the danger of intermarriage. The dumbing down of the smartest people on earth. So they can have sex with shiksas.

Posted by: jeffp | July 23, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like "Dan" either needs to add a lot more tinfoil to his hat, or needs to ask Rush Limppaw for some more meds.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

HOLY SCHMECKLE, BATMAN. Obama is in Zion! I thought he was a Muslim terrorist..or so Bill Clinton and his shrew of a wife used to say!

Oy Vay!

Posted by: Chollie | July 23, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Obama was in Israel today and he was wearing a yarmulke. Did he convert? So let me get this straight now if I can understand it. His middle name is Hussein, his last name rhymes with the most notorious terrorist in the world, and he's a anti-Semite, secret Muslim, racist Christian Jew? I think that about sums up the lead in to Rush or Hannity tomorrow.

Posted by: Sarcastic Sid | July 23, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Obama hates the Jews and will kill all the ones he sees? Funny I don't recall any stories about him attacking the Israeli officials he met today. Who knows, maybe they converted.

Posted by: Sarcastic Sid | July 23, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Give it a rest you Obamaphobes. He's not anti-semitic and your loony focus on his middle name (which he did not choose) adds nothing to any conversation. Jewish voters should have no more concern about these peripheral distractions than any other voters. Historically, they have voted overwhelmingly Democrat, perhaps a legacy of their minority/outsider status and the WASP-ish tendency of the Republican Party. The focus ought to be solely on the inexperienced and immature candidacy presented by Obama. Change makes for a nice mantra but, at some point, sensible folks will step back from all the hoopla and ask themselves why they should assume that change must always be for the better. McCain is a significant change from Bush and a whole lot safer, if nothing else because he will have to deal with a Democrat Congress.

Posted by: Cincinnati Rick | July 23, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Wait, let me get this stright, Obama's middle name is HUSSEIN? Like the dude who used to run Iraq. Next thing your going to tell me is that his last name sounds like the guy who attacked us on 9/11.

Posted by: Sarcastic Sid | July 23, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Impressive how capitalizing a middle name is now a tool of political analysis. Obama has no desire to kill Jews or bring about a holocaust. McCain doesn't either, but his foreign policies are based on his own misconceptions of the War on Terror and the War in Iraq. His domestic policies are based on his misunderstanding of the problems that the United States faces. The issue of Wright doesn't matter. The issue of Obama's middle name doesn't matter. In fact, those aren't even issues. Vote because you like a policy stance and not someone's last name.

Posted by: Joe | July 23, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Craig,

From the looks of your post, you can write.

Guess what: not all Americans can.

Building and sustaining a competitive advantage in a global knowledge-based service economy demands that we educate our people better.

But it is a matter of priorities. We spent 2+ trillion dollars putting a democracy in an Arab country that would vote us out in a heartbeat. I don't know what kind of Republican logic led to that decision but I do know that the money would have been better used here in America.

Posted by: JR, Boston | July 23, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

JR,

I don't want Barry to get me education and healthcare. I can take care of both myself. I'd much rather keep the money and spend it on both through my own choosing. I don't need Barry and good ol' government taking $100 and giving me $5 healthcare and $5 education while keeping the rest. Sorry but I'd rather not be dependent on Barry or any aspect of government for anything in my life. Too many people are already hooked on the government teet and what has it gotten them? Still in the poor house, uneducated, and using crappy healthcare.

Posted by: Craig | July 23, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing that some people in here either forgot to take their medicine or couldn't afford it.

Don't worry, even though you don't like him, Obama, unlike McCain, will get you health care.

Now: I know it is a tough call... do you vote for the white man who will spend your money on bombing other countries or a black man who will spend your money on your health care and education.

Whether you realize it or not, you need the health care- and the education...

Posted by: JR, Boston | July 23, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Thank you. I understand your family's reaction.

You, if not your family, could suspend belief for a moment, as it were, and look into the Wright thing in more detail rather than letting the media and GOP play you and them like a fiddle, sorry, but that's kind of how it seems to me.

Then look at your views of the Iraq war, how we got in; the politicization of justice; the warmongering with Iran; alienation of our allies, whom we need with China rising; declining social justice (income distribution) with the Republicans and ask yourselves if you wish to continue in that direction. Not to mention radical evangelical support for Israel as a lead-in to the Second Coming and the Rapture which leaves guess who behind?

Just saying, think about it!

Posted by: Jason_M | July 23, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Nice try Jason.

That idiot Rabbi in Israel hasn't been your rabbi for 20 years.

Wright baptized Obama's kids, married him. Obama considers this bigot to be his personal mentor.

David Duke is religious and works hard, but he is still a bigot.

I'm sorry, but for Obama to surround himself with these anti-Semite bigots makes
him toxic to my family.

Posted by: Mark | July 23, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

the scary thing about Dan is that he can probably vote. no thought, no knowledge, just hatred spewing. that's how we got Bush in the first place -

Posted by: scott | July 23, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Mark, it is not that Obama surrounds himself with these loons, they surround him. They think they see a reflection of themselves.

If you're talking about Rev. Wright, this is old news. I don't know his full views on Jews, but in my view it doesn't matter. He's a religious; he does good work; Obama admired his good work. Maybe he should have quit the church sooner, but it's moot. There's a rabbi in Israel who thought Katrina was divine retribution for supporting Israel's withdrawal from Gaza. I'm Jewish. Am I responsible for his lunacy?

Posted by: Jason_M | July 23, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Of course Jews prefer Obama and Democrats.

Today's Republicans are too much like Nazis and the religious fanatics amomg them are like the Taliban.

They stormtroop countries - invading and occupying for no reason, seem obsessed with persecuting and oppressing specific groups of people, throw people into concentration camps with no resourse or due process (abu Ghraib, Guantanamo), try to make thier religion the law, have zero respect for human rights, blame all society's problems on targeted scapegoats, etc.

Most Jews in America are compassionate and understand the importance of human dignity. Most wouldn't vote for Republicans while they stand for the opposite.

Posted by: dAVE | July 23, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Nice try for the Mccain camp to try and spin the gaffe Mccain made regarding Ambar awakening in Iraq. Mccain gaffes was stating that the surge began the
Anbar awakening and it didn't the surge didn't happen until 6 months later. The Mccain camp is trying to spin the argument back to the surge working. whether or not if the surge worked or was it a collaberation of efforts doesn't change that fact that Mccain got the time frame when the Anbar Awakening wrong. The Mccain camp needs to stop trying to spin gaffes of Mccain and get a message for him.

Posted by: Daniel | July 23, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Yawn.

Obama-Junke, another raving anti-Semetic Obama supporter.

I'm glad this Jew is voting for McCain.

Posted by: Mark | July 23, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why America has to be so involved in the affairs of Israel. Israel has enough military might to bomb Iran and Syria back into the 1600s (bombing them back to the Stone Age would the arsenal of the US).

But then it hit me. It's all about oil, once again! If Israel where to go to war with Iran, then you might see Syria, Egypt, Sudan, and Iraq aid Iran which would cripple the Middle East oil export market and in turn cripple the US economy (and the world economy as well) badly.

Posted by: Obama-Junkie | July 23, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Well Dan, this girl has to return to work at her real job, making real money, to take care of my real family. You go take your meds now, so you can find some sense of peace and reality. Go easy on the hate, it's bad for your health.

Posted by: cathy | July 23, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Dan: "HUSSIEN Obama" First: The Senator's first name is Barack not HUSSIEN. Second: Senator Obama is leading among Jewish voters because he's the right man for the job. Third: Show me the evidence that "he wants to do a second HOLOCAUST on" you. What make you think that? You're taking random things that come into that sick and twisted little mind of yours, distorting them and making outrageous statements.

Hence the name I've chosen...Sick of Idiots. It refers to people like you that have no idea what they're talking about.

Posted by: Sick of Idiots | July 23, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Jason, I understand about FDR. I was talking about my parents who voted for FDR and have remained Democrats - they will be voting for McCain.

The point is that Justadad is just one example of the Anti-Semitism that Obama attracts.

They want the destruction of Israel, believe Jews were behind 9/11 and deny the Holocaust.

Obama surrounds himself with these loons, thus I consider Obama to be an anti-Semite.

Posted by: Mark | July 23, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Those 10 weren't JEWS - they were Al-Queda terrorists.

HUSSEIN Obama = Mohammed Atta.

Ha. Got another one to switch.

Posted by: Dan | July 23, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Good job Dan. At that rate you will have converted approximately 50 voters by election day. Knock yourself out. If that's what it takes to keep you off the streets harming innocent woman and children, go for it.

Posted by: cathy | July 23, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I got 10 Jewish folks to switch from not sure to Obama over the last 3 days, thanks in part to Obama's successful Mideast tour.

Posted by: Obama-Junkie | July 23, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I save all of my posts, because HUSSEIN Obama would put us JEWS into concentration camps.

I will spread the word.

I got two Jews to switch their votes from HUSSEIN Obama to McCain on Monday! Hooray!

Posted by: Dan | July 23, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Mark, I respectfully disagree. Justadad is Ukrainian and apparently holds anti-Jewish grievances, at least with regard to their suffering during the war. He doesn't say he's for Obama.

Anyway, I don't think opposing current Israeli government policy, particularly with regard to settlements, is equal to jew-hatred. Agreed, there are jew-haters who think Obama is one of them, but they are wrong.

FDR: You and your family surely must know that there was anti-semitism in him and in his administration and that he/they did nothing to help Jews leading up to WWII. I love the guy, too, but there you are.

Posted by: Jason_M | July 23, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

As much as the media tries to foment discord between Obama and the "Jewish Community", whatever that is, it will fail because there is no discord. There are whacko right-wing Jews, just as there are whacko right-wing Christians and whacko right-wing Muslims. The small minority of Jews who have ever supported Republicans will continue to do so.

Posted by: thebob.bob | July 23, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Dan, you are the very reason so many are supporting Senator Obama. So, keep up the good work. Your efforts are paying off big time. Let's all see how many Obama votes Dan can generate over the next five minutes. Ready, set, go Dan go!

Posted by: cathy | July 23, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Cathy, you sound like SELF-HATING JEWS.

That's ok.

I am a DEMOCRAT voting for MCCAIN.

HUSSEIN Obama would EXTERMINATE JEWS.

Posted by: Dan | July 23, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

My Jewish family members and friend's disagree with Dan. Obama is just who the Jewish Community needs at this critical time in history. It sounds like Dan is part of this country's problems, not solutions. Grow up Dan and quit throwing your little tantrums.

Posted by: cathy | July 23, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Jason, I live in northern NJ.

My parents live in Palm Beach County in Florida.

Justadad is a poster who personifies the anti-Jew sentiment that reeks with Obama.

Posted by: Mark | July 23, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I think Denise and Dan may very well be the same perrson posting uder two different names. Whoever you are, it is obvious that your statements reflect issues that are not rooted in any semblance of actual constructive dialogue but instead reveal your own personal unstable mental state. I would encourage you to seek counseling from a mental health practitioner. Good luck to you.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I am hurt also being a Canadian. The holocaust was real, but how they treat Palestine is more real for they are suffering a slow death. How it disappoints me. America is AMERICA.
A ukrainian grampa from Canada, yes our families were killed to.
Who runs AMERICA, best ask yourself that??

Posted by: justadad55+ | July 23, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Curious, Mark, where do you live?

Posted by: Jason_M | July 23, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Obama is also much more popular than Joe Lieberman among Jews!

Posted by: Shawn | July 23, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

My Jewish family and I agree with Dan that Obama is a threat to the survival of Jews.

Obama = Mohammed Atta

Posted by: Mark | July 23, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

The "email us" address is bad. Way to go, WaPo. In the hopes that someone there is reading this thread, you should either close comments to this article or ban Dan the Spam. Or start moderating this blog. You're the Washington Post, for God' sake! Act like it!

Posted by: Jason_M | July 23, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I am a Jew and I would NEVER vote for a Republican! Go OBAMA!

Posted by: zzz1204 | July 23, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

The thing is that Obama = Hitler.

Obama and Osama bin Laden share a vicious hatred of the Jews.

My family and I are FDR Democrat Jews - we will vote for McCain.

Posted by: Mark | July 23, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I support America's Hitler, GW BUSH!

Posted by: Dan | July 23, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

DING BAT? I knew you Obama supporers were anti_jew but you trult are sexist. Screw you and Obama.
____________________

Go cook my dinner you stupid twaat.

Posted by: sequoia | July 23, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I am a disgusting, hate-filled animal and I am LYING about the holocaust as I troll message boards. I like to type [gasp!] middle names in CAPS because I think everybody shares my ignorance and hate.

Posted by: Dan | July 23, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

DING BAT?

I knew you Obama supporers were anti_jew but you trult are sexist.

Screw you and Obama.

Posted by: Denise | July 23, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I am a NAZI and I hate JEWS!!!

Posted by: Dan | July 23, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

You may be better than me, but I am better than HUSSEIN Obama.

I come from a family of Holocaust survivors.

Why should my family vote for HUSSEIN Obama, a vicious anti-Semite?

Posted by: Dan | July 23, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I think that if we truly love our country, then our choice of our president should be based on who is clearly the best person to lead, not on other factors ( I will not go into details here) which unfortunately in this time and age a lot of backward people still base their decision to support a particular candidate on. Obama has proven beyond a shadow of doubt that he is a better choice for president than McCain, in all areas one can possibly look at. Even on foreign policy, where McCain was portraying himself as better than Obama - we have seen for ourselves that in actual fact, it is the opposite. When McCain went on his middle east tour we all remember his many gaffes. He did not even know that the Shiite were a different ethnic group from the sunnis. As recently as last week McCain did not even know which countries boarder Iraq.

Posted by: Kensing | July 23, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Denise wrote: "Democrats hate Jews. They cheer Palestinian terrorists. Obama will not get my vote."
______________________

All the Jews I know are Democrats.

Nice try though, dingbat!

Posted by: sequoia | July 23, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Witness "dan".

The kind of rabidly ignorant and vile right-wing fanatic who lives his entire worthless life in a state of hysteria, hatred and ignorance.

We are BETTER than you, "dan".

Posted by: sequoia | July 23, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Democrats hate Jews.

They cheer Palestinian terrorists.

Obama will not get my vote.

Posted by: Denise | July 23, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

In the Bay Area, NObody is voting for McCain so it's not a good place to test poll.

But I'd say that given the direct efforts to scare Jews, this is a good indication of the tolerance, liberality, and good sense of American Jewish voters, if I do say so myself.

Posted by: Jason_M | July 23, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Shame on HUSSEIN Obama for supporting REV. Wright for 20 years - an anti-Semite who wishes the destruction of ISRAEL.

If HUSSEIN Obama becomes president, he will order us JEWS into CONCENTRATION CAMPS again.

Posted by: Dan | July 23, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

The comments Mccain is making now are no longer calculated but uncontrolled temper. He is on the verge of going off the air and it won't be pretty. He is one sentence away from calling Obama an uppity nigg&r. His hate can't be hidden, he wares it on his face like his other cancer for all to see.

========
HUSSIEN Obama hates Jews.

He wants to do second HOLOCAUST on us.

Posted by: Dan | July 23, 2008 12:35 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Dan wrote: "HUSSIEN Obama hates Jews.

He wants to do second HOLOCAUST on us."
_________________

You are disgusting. You pigs will lose, and you are a shame to our country and a disgrace to all humanity. Shame on you.

Posted by: sequoia | July 23, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

HUSSIEN Obama hates Jews.

He wants to do second HOLOCAUST on us.

Posted by: Dan | July 23, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Obama Leads Nearly 2 to 1 Among most Voters.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

So the headline should be, "Obama Lead ONLY 2 to 1 Among Jewish Voters," right? The story here is that McCain is doing better among Jewish voters than any GOP candidate in 20 years, yes?

Posted by: Tom T. | July 23, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I live in south Florida and I think it may be higher then that here.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse