Obama Nervous About Bernie Mac's Fundraising Show

By Perry Bacon Jr.
CHICAGO -- Comedian Bernie Mac, introducing Sen. Barack Obama at a fundraiser here last night, didn't stick to the usual formula for such occasions (praising the candidate and his campaign and then quickly leaving the stage), giving the Illinois senator more than he bargained for.

"Having a black first lady is different," Mac told a crowd of more than 600 at a Hyatt here, during a routine that touched on themes more bawdy and provocative than the standard fundraising fare. "You're still going to have to do all the dishes and the laundry and all that ... you got to pick up the kids.... You were on Air Force One and you couldn't pick up the kids?"

He warned that as a black candidate Obama would face unusual challenges.

"They are going to say things like, 'You know you was in the club with Lil' Kim and you and Kanye West got in a fist fight,'" he joked to members of the audience, who had paid at least $2,300 to attend.

At another point, Mac joked he was "born and raised" a Democrat and would continue to be, but "I'm a Republican at tax time" -- a feeling that no doubt will be reinforced by an Obama administration, which plans a variety of tax increases on upper-income Americans to support programs like expanding health insurance.

After Mac finished, Obama couldn't resist taking a jab at him.

"We can't afford to be divided by region or by class or we can't afford to be divided by gender," he said. "And that means, by the way, Bernie you got to clean up your act. This is a family affair.... I'm just messing with you man."

After the event, Obama spokeswoman Jen Psaki was more serious. "Senator Obama told Bernie Mac that he doesn't condone these statements and believes what was said was inappropriate," she said.

By Web Politics Editor  |  July 12, 2008; 10:37 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Karzai the Lover?
Next: Obama <3 Wilco

Comments

etivbhgo ndbzgl skftxbc srodfelci yrjnkdbiz velyn olmr lbihvk yotfwjnxz

Posted by: nfpluczm xkbjfulg | July 31, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

reofh yqjl wiqfvyug ukioxhvsg fuzyb monswkv cnyq

Posted by: riokjz uhinjxyc | July 31, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

tests time mashine

Posted by: gjoppers | July 30, 2008 4:36 AM | Report abuse

PLEASE DON'T FORGET THAT MR.MAC IS A COMEDIANNE. THAT IS HIS JOB. OBAMA'S JOB IS TO BE A HUSBAND, A FATHER AND A COMMANDER IN CHIEF SOON, BUT PLEASE DON'T FORGET NEITHER HE OR BERNIE ARE GOD. STOP JUDGING EVERYTHING OBAMA DOES, YOU DID NOT DO A GREAT JOB WITH THE PREVIOUS PRESIDENT, (you know the one who was with the elementary kids and a book about a goat when the country was under attack, whom flew over New Orleans after hurricane KATRINA)JUST STOP THE NOSEPICKING AND "GO VOTE"

Posted by: MEME | July 17, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey getaclue i had just came off a 20 hour shift at the foundry spelling was not on my agenda. Have you ever worked that hard?? Ever?? So much hatred you need to seek help. Oh and my question still stands.

Posted by: Donald | July 16, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Darlene, you fail to realize that the changes he is making is that he is becoming more and more like the rest of the politicians (Republican and Dem alike) every day. He knew exactly what Bernie Mac was going to say, he just didn't anticipate the backlash and when it reared it's ugly head he changed in to a politician, he threw Bernie under the bus to protect his own reputation. Look past the "joke" and realize what is actually going on. Change is only a word that is spoken, if you don't back it up with the correct action, which he failed to do. He should have stood by he decision to have Bernie there in the first place, not backpedal.
.02

Posted by: tjmac | July 15, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

The Bernie Mack Attack was another in a long line of Obama political set-ups! These little vingettes serve to make him look righteous and pure. Obama is full of S-it! David Axelrod needs to win an Oscar after this election is over. Axelrod is the writer, producer and diractor of the Barack Obama drama....coming to a town hall near you or a church if you are black.

Posted by: Ebonyflash | July 15, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

To all the Obama critics. Obama has progressed further than any of you have or ever will in your lifetime. What has he done so demeaning for such negativity and criticism in this race. He is standing for Change.Stand with and for the man.Flush your jokes in the toilet.

Posted by: Darlene | July 15, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Racists are pure, unadulterated, ignorant fools! When they meet "The Almighty God" then they will know "The Truth"! Until then, just ignore ignorant people and Vote for Barack Obama as our President!

Posted by: Nubian Goddess | July 14, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Apparently they hadn't seen Mr. Mac's stand up before they invited him? Are they serious? Any one of the idiots who were "offended" need to be "punched right in the throat!!". What did they expect, honestly? That was one of his cleaner jokes, and it would probably fly on the sitcom he stars in. I honestly believe that the only reason why Mr. Barack chided him was the reaction of the audience. I am pretty sure that the speech Mr. Mac gave was scrutinized by the campaign before and the approval was given. Hey Bernie, keep your head up and remember what you said, $%#$ em all, up against the wall with handcuffs on!!!! Bunch of sell outs! I find you one of the most refreshing, honest and hilarious comedians out there. Ask someone their opinion and then get mad at the answer, I find that offensive.

Who Ya Wit!!????

Posted by: TjMac | July 14, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Bernie Mac's line about being a Democrat most of the time but being a Republican at tax time was pretty funny.

Posted by: danielhancock | July 14, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey Donald, learn to spell "Astrophysics." You can't even spell and yet you want to judge posts. LMAO @ that one. I suppose you can't read either so there's clearly no point in trying to talk some sense into that dead organ you call a brain. If you had any clue at all, you would see how clearly flawed Obama's judgement is, and how miniscule his experience is. You better hope for everyone's sake he doesn't get elected. But fortunately for Obama, this country is loaded with morons, so he has a small chance.

Posted by: Getaclue | July 14, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Obama,
After reading the article about Bernie Mac's "show" at your event, and your reaction: lightly reprimanding him, then saying "just kidding"; I'm compelled to write to you.
If you are not going to protect EVERYONE's civil rights, and step up to protect women, then I don't want you for my president.
I've consistently seen you walk the line, afraid to alienate anyone - but you have to stand up and be strong about some things.
If the black community is so incredibly offended by slavery, degradation, insensitivity and disrespect, then why do so many blacks exhibit that exact behavior?
I guess it's o.k., as long as it's not them - which is the exact criticism they've had with whites. Hypocrites.
Women are enslaved, degraded and disrespected every day, worldwide, as a group - and most people ignore it (at the least)...many support it, add to it, and even laugh about it (at the worst).
Bernie Mac is the worst. How about you?
Do you think jokes like that are funny?
Do you want that type of behavior surrounding your campaign, your image, your life?
I see you now as a weak little man, who is still a child seeking friendship from the bullies.
That is not a leader.
Believe me, I want to see you as a leader. We need a Democrat in office very badly; but that person needs to be strong, stand up for ethical principles, and protect us all equally.
I don't see that in you at this point.
Thank you for your time.

Posted by: SunnyC | July 14, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Obama,
Bernie Mac is the worst. How about you?
Do you think jokes like that are funny?
That is not a leader.
I don't see that in you at this point.
Thank you for your time.

Posted by: SunnyC | July 14, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Deebee was on it, its called racism in America. Alive and well. The New Yorker Magazine, in spite of their explanation, continued to prove that 'old boy' network is still at hand.

Posted by: Departurecorridor | July 14, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

We love Obama, it's as simple as that!

Posted by: jjohnson | July 14, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't the Trail reporting on what really was said by Bernie Mac at the fundraiser?

The joke involved an 8-year-old boy asking his mother and sister if they wuold have sex with the mailman for $50,000.00. Bernie concludes by saying that mothers and sisters are "Hos"! This prompted members at Obama's fundraiser to protest as the "joke" was insulting and made fun also of Mac's menopausal wife in crude terms, labelling all women as 'hos!

What is making this incident very difficult for Obama is his admonishing Bernie at first and saying: "You gotta keep it clean next time...it's a family affair here". Then, in his next sentence Obama told Bernie "I'm just messing with you". So another flip-off, saying your act is Sexist, Bernie, women and men here at the Fundraiser found it offensive.
But, hey, man, I don't really mean it! I was just fooling with you!

And so "sweetie" may not "get over" this one any time soon! This was his Waterloo of a flip-off. And one of his worst misogynist acts (after his famous yutube: "Obama Gives Hillary the Finger") He didn't even wait a sentence to say one thing and to reverse it with his next statement!

Sweetie alienated both black and white women as well as the more progressive (and these can be counted with both hands' fingers) Obama male supporters who were brave enough to shout out to him to go up on stage and tell Bernie to remove his "mom-and-sis-ho's"sexist commentary from his act. But like Barack said on stage: "it's a Family affair"! Yup...moms and sisters of young boys will never be the same with Obama as president!
What a joke!

And with McCain being an equal opportunity candidate in the Sexism department, guess it's McKinney or Nader! but, most definitely, it's NoBama '08 for those of us who still believe in Family Values of hte Non-Bernie-Obama type!

Posted by: mps | July 14, 2008 2:26 AM | Report abuse

Hey getaclue do you understand astrophsics?? I doubt that very much and that friendly tip you passed along goes both ways. So i guess you need to get a clue.... or dont, talking to some people is like talking to a brick wall. Sigh

Obama 08

Posted by: Donald | July 14, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Some of these comment just show how racist people still are in this Country today. Give the man a chance we have given white a chance for so long. Race shouldn't matter it's whose the best man for the job. If McCain gets it fine if Obama then that's fine. Whites don't want him becaause of a skin color get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Debbee | July 13, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

This is so frustrating! As a long time Democrat, I have watched the party slowly deteriorate. I have held up hope that we would improve, but continue to see embarrassing actions and statements that make me shake my head.

The Democratic party used to be very smart, caring, and Patriotic. We also used to have really solid almost unbeatable candidates.

Now we have this Obama character. Totally inexperienced and way too liberal. And every time I see the news, I notice something else Obama or one of his cronies has either said or done to embarrass the party.

I guess I have all the young ignorant kids to thank for giving Obama the nomination. Hillary would have done really well for this country, I feel she would have "brought us back" as a party so to speak.

Instead, we get the popular guy that doesn't have a clue. Here comes another 8 years of Republicans in the Oval Office. Sigh.

Posted by: BobJohansen | July 13, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh no! Something was said that was possibly offensive to more than one person? Someone might die of mild discomfort!
This is such a boring race.
I hope they both lose.

Posted by: mb | July 13, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Nina, stop talking. I've read some of your posts, and they are as informed as a kindergarten student trying to comprehend astrophysics. This was made even more clear when you started tooting the horn of a guy that has probably the least amount of experience in the US Senate. He's full of BS, and many many people can see it. On top of that, the debates haven't even picked up yet, so the full exposure of his fraud still has yet to be brought forth.

Friendly tip, don't get your hopes up too much, you'll only be more depressed when you get disappointed.

Oh, and Bernie Mac is a comedian. Not a rapper. I guess if you had actually *read* the article before spewing, you would have seen this.

Almost forgot - lol@Chuck. I guess you couldn't come up with anything better than "McSame" because there isn't anything wrong with him you could pick at. Nice failure.

Posted by: Getaclue | July 13, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I think the Barack Obama campaign is on the verge of overplaying it's hand on criticizing what he thinks are flaws in African American culture and other African-American public figures.

I can believe that Jesse Jackson's statement into the mike was just good fortune for Obama. I don't think it was planned because Jackson does not make setup lines for others on purpose.

But this incident with Bernie Mac seems a bit contrived. Obama is probably aware of what type of comedy Bernie Mac engages in and could forsee him making a controversial statement. THerefore he would have a response ready. Bernie Mac could be in on it as well because he is no one's fool.

Call me cynical but I think the achilles heel of the Obama campaign could be that they may be viewed as just being too slick.

Posted by: danielhancock | July 13, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Hi Nina,

Actually that was the first thing I did. I asked the people, but they just signed off/disappeared. A second person was nice enough to explain something from the Bible, something like "abortion...not killing soul." That just confused me more.

So anyway, I wish I wouldn't have to go to other people to ask for these new slangs. Were you able to figure out anything?

Posted by: dazed | July 13, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

We love Hillary. But McCain is not the answer. I switched to Obama after Senator Clinton threw her support to Obama.

Posted by: Texas Jane | July 12, 2008 8:45 PM
------------------------------------------
I voted for Hillary in the Pennsylvania primary. But now I already sent a donation to Obama and will vote for him in November. Hill had her chance.

Posted by: Josephine | July 12, 2008 8:42 PM
--------------
Thank you Jane and Josephine. It is nice to see you join the Obama Camp...you are true citizens who believe in country first!! Senator Obama will not disappoint us; he is for "A government for the people, by the people, and of the people! He will make an outstanding President and Commander and Chief! Again, thanks!

Posted by: NinaK | July 13, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

In addition to my last post:

Can someone explain this quote for me, please? "All you got is mouth and a bunch of men riding your back ". Some Obama supporter was saying this on the McCain blog. I figured it must be something regarding the Obama campaign. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not too familiar with the new slang. Does "go get an abortion" mean the same thing as "go away" for the Obama supporters? Slowly but surely, I'm learning the new language. Thanks once again.

Posted by: | July 13, 2008 5:46 PM
------------------------------
Why don't you ask the person who wrote that? ONLY he/she can speak for him/herself.

Posted by: NinaK | July 13, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

When I read the article of how Obama ran unopposed for state senate in Illinois, I was just blown away by his shadiness! That is the most shady tactic I ever seen!

MCCAIN = MCSAVE!!!

When I read how Hilliary ran virtually unopposed for the U.S. Senator for New York, I was just blown away by her an Bill's shadiness! That is also a shady tactic!

---Who does that?!?!? I probably would NOT have won if he didn't use that cheap techicality tactic! That is a Loop Hole that MUST be closed! America is in danger from a Loop Hole! This is sooo scary!-----

What did YOU win?? I did not know you won anything. Please read this paragraph again. Rmember when you point a finger at someone, three of your own fingers are pointing back at you. Bill Clinton is extremely adept at pointing at us and the media, especially when he is enraged and jabbing his finger at the audience, reportes and at us (via TV), while he pointing and jabbing, THREE of his fingers are pointing at himself! Just like he pointed and jabbed his finger at the entire world when he adamantly proclaimed, "I did not have sex with that woman---Ms Lewinsky!" Liars usually do this!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 13, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

McCain and his Campaign's key and high-level team members' comments are much, much worse and incidiary than what has come out of the mouths of people such as this rapper.

1) McCain singing: "bomb, bomb, bomb bomb Iran"
2) McCain: Oil drilling will psychologically affect the American people". Translastion: We'll be mentally duped into believing we will be immediately helped by oil drilling now but in reality, it'll take at least seven (7) long years to see the first drop of oil! So now we have mental depression, mental recession, and mental oildrilling properity (which is actually oildrilling trickery). (also known as brainwashing)

2) Former Senator Phil Gramm and McCain's economics guru: "You all know about mental depression, well America is in a mental recession". And we have become a nation of whiners!" Wow!! What outlandish insults to America's citizenry!!

3) Mr. Black: "Another (terrorist) attack on U.S. soil would benefit Senator McCain" Combine this with McCain's "bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran" and we have what is known as "baiting". Now McCain and his campaign are "waiting". And then, McCain adds that since we are making such large shipments of cigarettes to Iran, "it is a good way of killing Iranians"! It is obvious McCain is a warmonger who believes that killing our enemies is the ONLY way to resolve our differences!! Rest assured, should Americans make the grave error of electing McCain, we will soon have WORLD WAR III!! This, as he says, "my friends", is what drives McCain!!

These are comments about which the media and our citizens/voters should be very angry, disturbed, and nervous and not some rappers offensive lyrics!! These are comments to which the world is paying attention. These are comments that can affect our nation in dangerous ways.

Posted by: NinaK | July 13, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

MCCAIN = MCSAVE!!!
---------------
America is in danger from a warmonger. This is sooo scarey!

McCain singing: "Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran!"

Mr. Black, McCain's advisor and cochair: "Another attack on U.S. soil will be beneficial to McCain!"

McCain: Asked by a reporter about the large shipments of cigarettes to Iran, McCain replied: Sending cigarettes to Iran is a good way of killing Iranians."

Fellow Americans, this is called "baiting"
McCain and his campaign gurus KNOW what they are doing and they are hoping and "waiting". Judging by these comments, McCain IS A WARMONGER!! judging by his comment, "just joking" regarding cigarettes killing Iranians, it is obvious McCain looks at bombing and killing as a fun sport, funny, and something from which he derives joy and about which he can make jokes!! McCain's thinking is sick!

Posted by: NinaK | July 13, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

In addition to my last post:

Posted by: Anonymous | July 13, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

McCain and his Campaign's key and high-level team member's comments are much, much worse than what has come out of the mouths of people such as this rapper.

1) McCain singing: "bomb, bomb, bomb bomb Iran"

2) Former Senator Phil Gramm and McCain's economic guru: "You all know about mental depression, well America is in a mental recession". And we have become a nation of whiners!" Wow!! What outlandish insults to America's citizenry!!

3) Mr. Black: "Another (terrorist) attack on U.S. soil would benefit Senator McCain" Combine this with McCain's "bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran" and we have what is known as "baiting". Now McCain and his campaign are "waiting". And then, McCain adds that since we are making such large shipment of cigarettes, "it is a good way to kill Iranians"! It is obvious McCain is a warmonger who believes that killing our enemies is the ONLY way to resolve our differences!! Rest assured, should Americans make the great error of electing McCain, we will soon have WORLD WAR III!! This, as he says, "my friends" is what drives McCain!!

These are comments about which the media and our citizens/voters should be very angry and disturbed!! Thes are comments to which the world ia paying attention.

Posted by: NinaK | July 13, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey Obama/Bernie Mac people:

Posted by: Dazed | July 13, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

1) McCain singing: "bomb, bomb, bomb bomb Iran"
2) McCain: Oil drilling will phchologically affect the American people". Translastion: We'll mentally believe we will be immediately helped by oil drilling now but in reality, it'll take at least seven (7) long years to see the first drop of oil! So now we have mental depression, mental recession, and mental oildrilling properity (which is actually oildrilling trickery).

Posted by: NinaK | July 13, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Obama said Bernie Mac was a friend. So I guess you are judged by the people you associate yourselves with. I personally do not find misogynistic jokes funny. I also prefer wit to profanity. I guess Obama must like this kind of humor to have his friend introduce him. But then he realized it was going to upset some people, mainly women and he tried to distance himself. But then he did not want to offend his friend so he said, "Just messing with you man". So I guess, in my opinion, he is not an elitist. He is the run of the mill kind of guy that finds jokes that insult women funny. NO wonder he is nervous. Wait until the McCain campaign gets a hold of this. Then next round will be which nominee is the trashiest to women. At this point, I now can't say.

Posted by: Narnia
-----------------
Narina, guess you missed it!! Senator John McCain already won the nomination and office of the trashiest toward women!! Cindi McCain was teasing John about his thinning hair, he became very angry and said "at least I don's cake on the makeup like a trollop, you c**t!" THAT is what I call TRASHING women. It is VERY CLEAR John McCain perceives woman who wear haavy makeup as "TROLLOPS" AND "C**TS". He said this to Cindi in the presense of others!! I would say McCain has a high level of contempt toward women and has NO respect for them. He treats Cindi like she's his baggage, she ALWAYS walks behind him. Then when she joins him on stage, she stands kind of behind him like a robot and looks totaly fearful of even blinking her eyes. Thin about it, if McCain talks to Cindi like he does in public, how does he TREAT her at home??

Posted by: NinaK | July 13, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I tend to disagree about White people not being willing to take direction from a man whose skin is black. Besides Obama is black and white (multi-racial). who cares what his skin color is. I believe inappropriate racist remarks are unacceptable no matter what the race or ethnicity of the person is who is making them. I commend Obama for finding racism against any race to be unacceptable, white, black, latino or any other group.

Posted by: Joe | July 13, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

stop worrying about the jokes tht and worry about the voting that no matter what whites only want to take direction from a white man thats whats wrong with the world just live to learn not live to judge.

Posted by: tammy | July 13, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I AM A SUPPORTER OF YOURS BUT IF THIS IS THE BEST ACTION YOU CAN TAKE AGAINST US THEN MAYBE JESSIE JACKSON WAS RIGHT. WHY ARE YOU GIVING UP ALL OF YOU MORALS AND SCRUPPLES? NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO PEOPLE ARE GOING TO ALWAYS HAVE SOMETHING NEGATIVE TO SAY ABOUT YOU, IT IS WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT YOURSELF.

Posted by: theresa | July 13, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Bernie Mac is hilarious. Team OBAMA 08!!!!!

Posted by: AnGiE | July 13, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

My husband demise at the age of 28 year old. He told me how he use to paint in the Navy ship in close in spaces with lead paint. The navy is saying it wasn't service connected. The service don't want me to work. I only will receive a very small amount of widow's pension. They cut that off because I working not make that much.

P.S. What about the widow how do we live after our husband dies?

Dorothy A. Nichoson

Posted by: Dorothy A. Nicholson | July 13, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

This is exactly what America is afraid of. What will the white house be like if Senator Obama wins? No thanks! Vote McCain!

Posted by: kt | July 13, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Narnia | July 13, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Re: McCain Campaign

McCain's Campaign is doing great.

The person who advised Senator McCain should improve his public speaking skills should go. The media have created another series of mocking discourses about Senator McCain. And it is being played in YouTube again, again, and again.

Why can't you think?

Please do let him speak as he feels and as he thinks. As I said, his experiences are his transcripts: He does not need any transcripts. He just needs a cordless microphone for his town-hall meeting style speeches. Please do not mention anything about Senator Obama. Please do not respond to his all of negative rumors, charges, or accusations against Senator McCain, which he will be launching soon.

Let Senator Obama play his own game; let him talk; let the media talk. If you think what you think is correct, then you defend your Logic, instead of making yourself defensive or vulnerable from any attacks. If you think what you thought is not correct, then you accept, apologize, and move on.

Please do not talk about any policies yet. Just enjoy and relax talking about American way of Life and this country we all Love. Faith? Why do you worry? All Americans believe in God and Love this country. What Senator McCain thinks is correct.

You also have to make a stronger website and anti-virus system. It is vulnerable to the new kind of viruses that the Obama Campaign has produced as you can see below.

Obama's getting desperate is a great sign: Just wait. You also need to make sure whether Senator McCain and Cindy are safe. Obama is not naïve at all.

Posted by: Premier | July 13, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Face it Both candidates suck. Vote for me in November.

Posted by: Troy | July 13, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I doubt that Obama has people who are like Bernie Mack people in his family. His black side is from Kenya and Kenyans do not refer to their women as "hos". In fact, this is strictly an African-American phenomenan.

Posted by: Sandra | July 13, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Obama even knows how many members there are in Congress. There are 100 Senators, which John McCain is has 1% of the power, with the House of Representatives there are 435 Members, making the total 535 Lawmakers, making John McCain's total power less than .20%

Who's senile?

Obama is Greener than the Grass in America's lawn!

Posted by: Obama's 30 years insult to McCain | July 13, 2008 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Did ping just admit that Mc Cain is senile? Hows that for support at least Obamas supporters arent calling him senile?!?!

Posted by: Donald | July 13, 2008 6:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm a 71 year old lesbian and I supported Hillary. I even sent her $250 from my social security check. But she lost in part due to her husband. Hell will freeze over before I vote for old senile McCain. Its Obama for me in 2008 and 2012. All women know that is the only choice.

Posted by: Ruth | July 12, 2008 8:59 PM

John McCain is old and senile, Ruth and McCain are 71 yrs old. Therefore Ruth is old and senile.

Posted by: Ping | July 13, 2008 5:56 AM | Report abuse

I think Obama was right for chosing Mac to introduce him and the only reason this is so big is cause people like to blow things out of proportion and are also hyper sensitive if they are offended by bernie mac we need to get chris rock or dennis leary up there then they can be offended. bottom line when you have people scrutinzing your every move they are bound to find flaws like any one i would imagine. Man its good to know that the people we elect are human!

Posted by: Donald | July 13, 2008 5:21 AM | Report abuse

Bernie Mac is a gd comedian. How are you supposed to take what a comedian says seriously? Are you all retarded?

Posted by: Rhett | July 13, 2008 3:24 AM | Report abuse

MCCAIN = MCSAVE!!!

Posted by: Just switched to McCain! | July 13, 2008 2:28 AM | Report abuse

OBAMA NEEDS TO LOSEN UP HIS COLLAR. IF BERNIE MACK IS SPEAKING WE EXPECT HIM TO BE FUNNY.

Posted by: TONY | July 13, 2008 2:01 AM | Report abuse

Everybody needs to listen up. Bernie Mack is a comedian. Now comedians can't should sponsor their jokes. With comedians you never should take it seriously.

Posted by: jane | July 13, 2008 1:59 AM | Report abuse

I don't see why everybody is so stiff. Theres almost 600 people at the event and just because Obama is a black candidate there shouldn't be any jokes. Somebody has to losen up the crowd. Evertthing can't be all business and no laughs. I think the either surrogates do more damage on a daily basis than anything Bernie Mack said.

Posted by: Carol | July 13, 2008 1:55 AM | Report abuse

No one has ever been better positioned than Hillary was this year, but if a few of her most hard core supporters (I guess in their case the term is worshipers) want to let John McCain continue the Iraq War, start an Iran War, and replace two old liberal Supreme Court Justices with young conservative Justices, well Obama would never have gotten their votes and will most likely win without them. I hope they at least have more integrity than to call themselves feminists though, considering the way McCain abandoned his wife when she got hurt to chase after a rich 24 year old.

Posted by: aleks | July 13, 2008 1:54 AM | Report abuse

Obama and McCain are running such amateur operations. They're both starting to look like clowns.

Posted by: aleks | July 13, 2008 1:41 AM | Report abuse

So why is the Washington Post emitting the most offensive part of Bernie Mac's routine: the joke about "hoes."

Even Reuters has referenced it:

"'Hypothetically speaking, we should have $100,000. But realistically speaking we live with two hos,' Bernie Mac said."

Time magazine, too:

"He promised to help Obama and that he would be there "like the Jackson Five" and ended his irreverent riff with a joke involving the women in the families and living with two "hoes""

It's irresponsible journalism to either gloss over, or completely exclude, critical parts of the story.

Why did the WashPost do this?

The fact of the matter is that these comments here, and Obama's half-arsed, joking, "I'm just messing with ya" "condemnation" of them, fit into a larger narrative of Obama's flagrant, blatant sexism...

First it was Obama playing rapper Jay-Z's ode-to-misogyny "99 Problem but a B*** Ain't One" at his Iowa victory rally...

Then it was the "claws come out" and "periodically, when she's feeling down" comments about Hillary...

Then it was the "sweetie" comments to a professional journalist...

Then it was spanking his wife on the buns on public TV...

And now he's inviting a comedian with KNOWN vulgar, sexist, and racially influenced material to perform at his fundraisers.

What does this say to women voters?

What does this say to ALL voters?

And what does it say about Obama, that a little more than a year ago he was pontificating about FIRING Don Imus for using the EXACT SAME LANGUAGE ["hoes"], and within the past couple of weeks he's preached about the need to "raise children right"...

Yet now he goes and gets Bernie Mac to perform at his fundraiser, flying in the face of all Obama's self-righteous preaching of moral decency.

This is dispicable and disgusting, and beneath any man who pretends to be qualified and capable of leading America--- ALL of America, not just male America, but ALL of America.

Pathetic.

Posted by: TampaPUMA | July 13, 2008 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Obama and Celebrities, whoopy $h@t. Who Cares!

Seperation of Entertainment and State!

There are people who think this matters! That's sad! What the hell do a bunch of Musicians and Actors really know??!?! WHO THE F CARES!

Obama is a Black Supremist and if he would have actually had competition in his State Senate race there's a huge chance that he would NOT even be a Senator!

What did Obama do in that first run for political office?

A.) Registered more new voters than any Illinois State Senate candidate

B.) Vowed to never cast a "present" vote if elected

C.) Knocked all of his opponents off the ballot so he could run unopposed

D.) Ran with the slogan: "We did it for Harold, we can do it for Barack!"

(C) Is the correct answer!

Obama challenged the nominating petition signatures of the incumbent, Sen. Alice Palmer, and three other rivals

Seek the Truth, not what an entertainer says! If you don't know the truth and your opinions are borrowed, you're an idiot!

McCain 08' "Because there is No Other Solution!"

PS

TEXT or EMAIL the Chicago Tribune Link to your friends. KNOW THE TRUTH!

Posted by: Generation Y | July 13, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Obama and Celebrities, whoopy $h@t. Who Cares!

Seperation of Entertainment and State!

What did Obama do in that first run for political office?

A.) Registered more new voters than any Illinois State Senate candidate

B.) Vowed to never cast a "present" vote if elected

C.) Knocked all of his opponents off the ballot so he could run unopposed

D.) Ran with the slogan: "We did it for Harold, we can do it for Barack!"

(C) Is the correct answer!

McCain 08' "Because there is No Other Solution!"

Posted by: Who the F Cares! | July 13, 2008 1:17 AM | Report abuse

I thought I'm the only one.

I will vote for Middle left (McCain) in 08 and will eventually vote for Left-middle (Hillary) in '12.

Obama is not ready and he has too much baggage. From a new politics to lavish fundraising. May the best commander in chief wins this November.

Posted by: HRCSupporterinCA | July 13, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

It seems Obama and his entourage want to appear clueless to Bernie Mac's stage presence. Bernie's damn funny, but his extensive use of the Kings English adds considerable flavor to his libretto.

Wrong move, wrong thing to say Obama, unless in jest.

Are you that naive?

Bernie is Bernie...

Posted by: Bradh2o | July 12, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

WOW. HOW BLATANT.

ONCE AGAIN - OBAMA WANTS IT BOTH WAYS

OBAMA IS A BAD BAD CASE OF WHIP LASH

FOR WHITES AND FOR BLACKS

HE'S TRYING TO USE EVERYBODY

JUST SAY NO TO BEING USED BY THIS EGO MANIAC

NOVEMBER = NOBAMA

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

This is pathetic. If Obama wants to run a squeaky-clean, PC campaign, he should have known better than to invite Bernie Mac. Personally, I wouldn't have cared. But Obama can't go a single day without disowning someone or regretting something or other. He's the Official Candidate of the Apologetic Wimp.

Posted by: Rightie | July 12, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

RE: Bernie Mac comedy on Ho's.

B.O.! Bernie delivered as ordered. What'd you think or not think to do or what did you expect.
Besides. How deep is your denial, delusion, naivety, and what rock did you crawl from under.
Ho's, and certainly not limited to the more recent scandal, the D.C. Madame, ARE A WAY OF LIFE IN D.C.
And don't think for a 2nd that the public is so naive or too quickly forgetful NOT to know that Ho's have long SERVICED elected public servants, just like Spitzer and others, in D.C. and EVERYWHERE else.
You know full well that Ho's" HAVE LONG BEEN A WAY OF DOING BUSINESS in our capital by particular elected officials. It's as old as our country is B.O.
Z

Posted by: Z | July 12, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Janet or probably your name is George or Sam, or Sheila, or something else, McCain would be a disaster as President. You would know that unless you are a big fan of his. As for Hillary being well positioned, she was well positioned in 2008 and failed. Obama in 2008--case closed!

Posted by: Hillary Girl | July 12, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me that the same little boy is writing all these anti Obama posts and is signing female names to the post. Must be some sort of Vagina envy.

Posted by: Born a woman

----------------

I have to say that I don't think so.

Posted by: Robert | July 12, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Hillary Girl, I respect your position. But by Democrats voting for McCain in 2008, Hillary will be well positioned for victory in 2012. I am sure you can appreciate the importance of being well positioned.

Posted by: Janet | July 12, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Ruth, I respect your position. But by voting for Obama in 2008 it may be 2016 before Hillary can be elected. Will she even be alive then? If we as Democratic women vote for McCain in 2008, Hillary will be ideally positioned for a in in 2012.

Posted by: Sheila | July 12, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

While paging through my Bible I came upon a representation of Noah leaving the Ark. Believe it or not, standing right behind Noah was John McCain. Boy was he old way back when.

And some of you fools think you can talk us women into voting for him. Get real! We'll follow Hillary and vote for Obama.

Posted by: Hillary Girl | July 12, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GY | July 12, 2008 8:41 PM

"No self respecting woman should wish for the success of a party which ignores her sex" Susan B. Anthony

APRIL 23, 2008
"Republican Sen. John McCain ... said Wednesday he opposes a Senate bill that seeks equal pay for women because it would lead to more lawsuits."

"Senate Republicans killed the bill Wednesday night on a 56-42 vote that denied the measure the 60 votes needed to advance it to full debate and a vote."

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I believe the above link tells it all regarding Hilary's loss to Barack in the Democratic primaries.
With that information and after viewing some of the female posters comments regarding Mccain in 08, Hillary in 2012. I can see that the only apparent reason they chose her as there nominee is because of gender, I find it very disturbing that Hillary supporters are considering backing Mccain this year, the only reason other than racism I can see for this is because they know anyone would shine after a couple of years of Mccains mismanagement. The presidential race needs to be less of a politically correct popularity contest and more about who will best represent the majority.

Posted by: undecided | July 12, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, forgot to comment on actual article: Nernie is a comedian people NOt Obama's Economic advisor!

Posted by: Lee GIABENELLI | July 12, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ruth | July 12, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Go ahead vote McCain for 2008, but I gaurantee whomever his VP is will DEFEAT Hillster in 2012. Bank on it. From a true republican, Arizona resident voting Obama in 2008.

Posted by: Lee GIABENELLI | July 12, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mhr,
Your assumption that Mr. Obama shares this opinion of a minority of black intellectuals is unfounded, and speculating that he will extend that opinion to incorporating the most offensive examples into state functions is ingenuous and offensive.
Your premise is based on the assumption that his loyalty and personal preferences lie with a culture you clearly fear, and completely ignores the inclusive, positive, squeaky-clean and politically savvy message that he embodies and which has made him popular.
Since your premise is so clearly based on the color of Mr. Obama's skin, as opposed to any other available indicator of his future behavior, that opinion must be called out for what it is: racist.
This is not meant to condemn you but to illuminate your opinion. Please do not keep your mouth shut, for the only way to examine your opinion is to express it. Life is short but memory is shorter, so put it out there, folks will forgive and forget soon enough, and you'll be happy to have gotten it off your chest.
Sincerely,
Toby

[quote]
Black intellectuals have written that hip hop is modern black literature. That being true I expect that President Obama will welcome to the White House "artists" that will entertain us all with performances that will make Bernie Mack seem tame. Given the fact that liberals regard even the mildest criticism of Obama (or any black for that matter) as evidence of racism, the American people are in for a dreary and vulgar four-years. We had better learn to keep our mouths shut. If you liked political correctness up to now, just wait, the best is yet to come.

Posted by: mhr | July 12, 2008 6:10 PM
[quote]

Posted by: TobyF | July 12, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Born a woman | July 12, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Clintons please remember this: Mene, Tekel, Peres.

Posted by: Daniel | July 12, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Texas Jane | July 12, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Josephine | July 12, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Typical, and not surprised. One Obama blogger also tells another anti-Obama blogger to "exercise your rights" and "go get an abortion". Very nice. Another Obama blogger thinks Europe moving to the right means the same thing as America moving to the left. Typical mentality (or missing mentality).

Posted by: Dazed | July 12, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Obama and Celebrities, whoopy $h@t. Who Cares!

Seperation of Entertainment and State!

What did Obama do in that first run for political office?

A.) Registered more new voters than any Illinois State Senate candidate

B.) Vowed to never cast a "present" vote if elected

C.) Knocked all of his opponents off the ballot so he could run unopposed

D.) Ran with the slogan: "We did it for Harold, we can do it for Barack!"

(C) Is the correct answer!

McCain 08' "Because there is No Other Solution!"

Posted by: Who the F Cares! | July 12, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

"I'm just messin with you man" said Obama? THIS man is just not Presidential material. Period. You can expect more of this "trash talk" if you foolishly vote for Barack Hussein Obama. (get used to the name, it's his LEGAL name and appears on the ballot as such)

Obama is unqualified and unelectable. The Democrats would be foolish to nominate him. It's NOT too late for the DNC to do nominate the most qualified and most electable candidate, Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Hillary has already won the popular vote, winning MORE votes than ANY candiate of ANY party in history! Wow. Let's give credit where much credit is due. Hillary rocks! The DNC convention is in late August in Denver when the ACTUAL nomination takes place. Until then, obama is simply the arrogant presumptive nominee. Superdelegates take note. Hopefully, Obama will completely politically implode BEFORE then.

It's Hillary or McCain. Put your country first and party second. The Democratic party must be held accountable for their failure to denounce the rampant sexism, racism, classism and voter disenfranchisement continually interjected into this 2008 campaign debacle by Barack Obama, his campaign, his nasty supporters and ALL media. In fact, the DNC is complicit in disenfranchising voters. It's unacceptable. Send the DNC a LOUD message. WE have the power to withhold money and votes. DO SO!

Posted by: GY | July 12, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GY | July 12, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

There is a time and place for everything, the average adult learned this as a child. Bernie Mac is apparently an exception,his words deems him to be an over-sized boy ridiculing him probably will not register. Bernie Mac IQ may very well be his shoe size therefore he just doesn't know any better. It is best to ignore him.

Posted by: deeCole Montg. Al | July 12, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

MinniePearlJam wrote:
"This naive pop star candidate doesn't know that the Joint Chiefs of Staff are not in the military change of command."

Well, Minnie, The Joint Chiefs constitute the second-highest body for military policy, after the National Security Council, and YES, they take their orders from the SECDEF, who's boss is the President. Assuming The POTUS has already made up his mind to end a war, It makes some sense to bring in the joint chiefs, as they're responsible for coordinating the activities of the three branches of our military, They'll have lots to do.

If he didn't call them in you'd be calling him names for that.

Oh, and it's "chain of command"

Keep trying...

Posted by: Fred L. | July 12, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

No, I am not a sexist. I love the womens movement. Especially when I am walking behind them. LOL !!!

Posted by: Ron | July 12, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ron, is that a sexist comment ?!?!?!?!?

Posted by: Elizabeth | July 12, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Actually, my wife said the same thing. A Democrat, she wants to vote for McCain in 2008 and Hillary in 2012. Women. Go figure.

Posted by: Ron | July 12, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I think the support for Hillary from women on this forum is AWESOME ! ! ! ! !
McCain in 2008. Hillary in 2012 ! ! ! ! !

Posted by: Christine | July 12, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh, me too, me too!!!! As a Democrat woman, I want to give a shout-out for McCain in 2008 and Hillary in 2012. I am woman. Hear me roar!!!!!!

Posted by: Maggie | July 12, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

If McCain had a comedian open up for him like this everyone would be all over it. All the Obama supporters can do is come up with excuses and white wash his gaffes. As an African American female clinton supporter I have been searching for a reason to vote for Obama and I am coming up short with anything except that he is not mccain. If Cynthia McKinney is on my ballot I will be voting for her. Saying Hillary is on his vp short list is fine but in the back of my mind I know obama is just messing with us man just messing with us.

Posted by: rachel | July 12, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

another instance obama throwing another black man under the bus.

Posted by: ron | July 12, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

The Obama campaign allowed sexism to make them some more money...shocking!

Posted by: gaypastor | July 12, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

we know who will be on baracks list for jobs!!!! kieth olberman,chris matthew,rachel maddow,and the rest of the gang on msnbc,and nbc. im not voting for anyone this year. so sick of all the hatred and hypocresy in both camps.

Posted by: miss muffet | July 12, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Obama said "This is a family affair.... I'm just messing with you man."

What does this last part of the sentence mean? Is it an apology that translate to "I can't agree more but I just have to pretend I don't like it?"

Posted by: English | July 12, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

How come there are no Blacks on Obama's Veep list? .. not the short list or the long list????

Posted by: Wilma Jones | July 12, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Well. OH MY GAWD.

I cannot believe a foul-mouthed comedian would say something like this.

The mainstream media BETTER be covering this 24/7 for the next three weeks and continue to ignore McCain's joke about killing Iranians with lung cancer.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Clintons please remember this: Mene, Tekel, Peres.

Posted by: Daniel | July 12, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Who cares? I think it's despicable what Bernie Mac said, and Barack should have disavowed him quicker, but still this is so minor!

The Post runs these stories on the front page, but forgets to mention actual policies offered by Obama. Obama has actually been going around discussing his vision for our country, but you would never know it by reading the Post.

Obama '08

Posted by: GoHuskies08 | July 12, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

We are all Americans.

Anyone, Black or White, who continues to think or speak in terms of COLOR is likely still "colored" with some degree of racism, whether they realize it or not.

The sooner Blacks (and Whites) stop thinking in "Black" (and "White") and start thinking in Red, White and Blue, the sooner we can all get past our racist past.

So the sooner we ALL stop saying "Black" or "White" when talking about people, the sooner our children and our nation can rise above even subconscious traces of hate and bigotry, let alone overt displays of it.

Posted by: Daniel | July 12, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I cant believe Hillary supporters...McCain is AGAINST equal pay, AGAINST choice, AGAINST coverage of contraceptives, and yet a joke from some random comedian has you go crazy about Obama being mysoginist????

If McCain took the election this country will have changed by the time Clinton came into Office, and not for the better ladies...

Posted by: Peter | July 12, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Helen...
For crying out loud, what do you expect Obama to do? HE WON THE PRIMARY! He's gone overboard to praise Clinton. He's even going to help her with her debt. Why can't you Clinton supporters pony up some cash for your dear Hillary?
If you really are a Democrat in principle - which I doubt - you would not vote for a Republican who thinks privatization and deregulation is the answer to everything.

Posted by: Joyce for Obama | July 12, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

In a way it is Obama's karma catching up with him for letting his Campaign falsely accuse the Clintons of being racists so he could gain the Black vote ... now he is using false-Black-stereotypes to get the "typical white person" vote ... but Bernie Mac was a good example of what we are in for ... and what is "entertainment" to Obama!
VOTE McCAIN OR WRITE IN HILLARY CLINTON!

Posted by: Cassandra Washington | July 12, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Here's a question for those who advocate voting for McCain in '08 so they can vote for Clinton in '12: How will you explain to your daughters that you gave up their reproductive freedom by voting for an anti-choice candidate (McCain) who will undoubtedly get to pick one or more Supreme Court justices over the next four years? When your plan backfires, will you have the guts to tell them that you voted for McCain in the name of a harebrained scheme because you're foolish and embittered, or will you lie and say you voted for Obama?

Posted by: Adrienne | July 12, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Voting for McCain to pave the way for Hillary in 2012 is like saying I'll let my house burn down now so I can get a better one in four years. Ask yourself, can you afford another four years of Bush-style leadership?

Posted by: rukidding1 | July 12, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Do either of the two candidates have a plan to invade Zimbabwe?

Posted by: PoseidonsNet | July 12, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Once again Obama shows how thin skinned he is. Rev. Wright is off limits. Michelle's off limits. His kids are off limits. Now he's off limits?

It's going to be a long campaign, BHO. And it's going to get worse, not better. If you can't take the heat now, what makes you think you can President? What a moron.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | July 12, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

That's funny Ann, I was thinking the same thing. John McCain in 2008 and Hillary in 2012!

Posted by: Beth | July 12, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Should we be more upset by Bernie Mac, a comedian, or Phil Gramm, the senior economic adviser to McCain and possible Treasury Secretary in a McCain Administration who called the American people "whiners" and the recession "psychological"? We're not electing a president based on the entertainer who introduces him at a fundraiser. We're electing the candidate who represents the best opportunity to move our country in a new direction. Vote for McCain and vote for four more years of Bush (including poorly planned wars (Iran, here we come!), tax cuts for the wealthiest, corporate profiteerism at the expense of working families, cuts to health care and schools, privatized Social Security, and out-of-control federal debt).
We've seen the wreckage the Bush policies have created. It's time to stop the failed experiment and turn our country around, not just Obama, but all of us.

Posted by: rukidding1 | July 12, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I usually don't comment on these forums, but I saw Helen's comment and just had to say I agree. Democrats, vote for John McCain so we can get Hillary, a real Democrat, in 2012.

Posted by: Ann | July 12, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

The Hillary supporters posting here are soooo bitter.

They just don't get that is why they lost in the first place.

You are who Phil Gramm was talking about.

Posted by: Sparky | July 12, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh Helen, Helen, Helen. The only place Hillary will be running to in 2012 is to the New York State Unemployment office after the voters of New York reject her re-election bid in the Democratic primary.

Posted by: McCain Man | July 12, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

It seems as though blacks are sending a message, "Disown your Mama, if she speaks AGAINST Obama".

It seems as though they don't want anyone, anywhere to speak anything against Obama. We need to realize that Obama is not the Messiah. He is not Jesus Christ and he does have sins in the closet that people can speak thereof.

First they were angry against Rev. Wright, then Rev. Pfleiger, then Rev. Jackson, now Bernie Mac. Who next?

Therefore, will the Obama supporters please get a grip and stop being so sensitive. I wish Obama supporters would grow up, open up their eyes, learn to take the good with the bad and realize this is life!

"DON'T disown yo Mama if she speaks against Obama"!

Posted by: anotherperspective1 | July 12, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Bernie Mack isn't on the same level as George Carlin or Richard Pryor, but he's got some solid material. OK, he's not squeaky clean. But the electorate gets younger by the year and he's from Chicago - makes sense to have him at a fundraiser. Yes, it was probably "appropriate" for Obama's campaign to say that Bernie's comments were "appropriate." But it's also another way to contrast the two candidates. Obama talks about downloading jams on his ipod, while McLame makes an awkward, dated allusion to a Beach Boys song. From Dick Nixon to Dick Cheney, Republicans have the sense of humor of a rock. They're funny, but not haha funny.

Posted by: Dr. Don Key | July 12, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

McCain is now emerging as a common politician who displays the usual smoke-and-mirrors.

From flip-flopping on the issue of the Bush tax cuts to off shore oil drilling to gaming the public financing of his campaign expect old man McCain to disappoint if elected to office. Once a McCain supporter, I now support support Senator Obama.

Listen to old man McCain's speeches, they are a road to the failed past.

Old man McCain may not be a racist, but his campaign must appeal to the worst in us for him to have any chance at victory. Old man McCain must stress the fact that he is white to win. How else can one translate a failed military career into something positive.

Old man McCain is likeable enough but his plans for a 100 year war in Iraq, his opposition for full veterans benefits and his opposition to funding birth control measures while supporting funding for viagara gives us a clear view for his future vision for America.

Sadly, I had to get rid of my support for old man McCain. It didn't make sense to support a person so wedded to the past. Senator Obama is the hope for the future.

Posted by: Now an Obama Supporter | July 12, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

This isn't a story, it's a cover up. If you're not going to cover the meat of the story at least say so instead of substituting bland side orders.

Posted by: Paul B. | July 12, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Learn how to discuss politics without being babies

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

It is extremely repulsive that the democrats have chosen a jack****. They are obviously so full of haterd for Hillary that they would lose the presidency then have the possibility of electing her. Any jack*** but her. So be ready for McCain.

Posted by: tahirn | July 12, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

It is exceedigly irresponsible and sincerely repulsive that a Hillary supporter would vote for McCain instead of Obama. I initially supported Hillary as well, but sensible people have to rally around the sensible candidate -- and that candidate is Barack Obama. Why would you support McCain at the polls when he will undoubtedly continue the unpopular, ineffective and even misogynistic policies of the Bush administration?

Posted by: SimonedeB | July 12, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh, heavens. Mr Obama will have to choose a different policy advisor than that Mr. Bernie Mac. Maybe he could get Marc Rich.

And are all the purported Hillary supporters here actually McCain shills, or are there one or two honest posts? The stories they tell are identical.

Posted by: larry | July 12, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhr | July 12, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

this guy is surrounded by imbeciles and weare going to elect him pres?

Posted by: gary | July 12, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Thank you NowaMcCainSupporter for mentioning flip-flops! In case anyone forgot, please go to:

http.//www.bi30.org/wordpress/flipflopper.htm

There is the documentation of McCain's astounding number of flip-flops, including, but not limited to his stance on:

-off-shore drilling
-windfall profit taxes for oil co.'s
-527 groups
-the Webb GI Bill
-free trade
-Bush tax cuts for the wealthy
-ethanol
-immigration reform
-abortion rights
-torture
-the gov't handling of Hurricane Katrina
-FISA
-the estate tax
-privatizing social security
-balancing the federal budget

With McCain, what you see is definitely NOT what you get.
-wi

Posted by: AnObamaSupporter | July 12, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up feministas irked by the comments - Bernie Mac is a comedian.

It's really getting tiresome that candidates have to repudiate comments from EVERYONE around them including comedians - unless they are campaign advisors involved in policy, politicians shouldn't be held accountable for every comment uttered by someone around them.

Posted by: Jeanne in California | July 12, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

mymymy, miss priss. care to spill to the beans about the conversations that take place on the straight talk express when the tape recorders are off.

is there no rnc-manufactured outrage that you nitwits aren't willing to propel. don't you get embarrassed at how easily manipulated you are.

Posted by: linda | July 12, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I have had it with Obama and his misogynist attitudes. I am a Hillary supporter trying to resign herself to voting for Obama. Enough is enough. I encourage all Democrats to vote for John McCain, setting the stage for a successful Hillary run in 2012. You go girl!

Posted by: Helen | July 12, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

So this is more newsworthy than the fact that Sen. McCain's econ advisor is Mr. Enron?

The signal-to-noise ratio of the reporting in this campaign is abysmal.

And people wonder why we haven't solved any of the real problems facing this country: like teenage girls, the Post just wants to have fun.

Posted by: JR, Boston | July 12, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Did we all forget Bernie Mac's a friggin comedian? This presidential election, and the coverage by the traditional media is incredibly stupid. Instead of focusing on actual policy differences, like whether McCain wants to continue a devastating war, give nothing to the middle class but give millions to the billionaires, and repeal Roe v. Wade (through radical Supreme Court justices), the media is obsessed at what some comedian said at a fundraiser. Please - WAPO - get a grip of issues that people care about, like the escalating gas prices, and the record number of foreclosures (and for those who keep their homes, the depreciation in value of their homes).

Posted by: David | July 12, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Obama is now emerging as a common politician who displays the usual smoke-and-mirrors. From flip-flopping on the issue of public/private financing to the decision to have his daughters interviewed, expect Obama to disappoint if elected to office. Once an Obama supporter, I now support (regrettably) McCain. Listen to his speeches, they are as vague as his "Blueprint for Change." I am not racist (as I am also a minority), but Obama is popular solely because he is black. If Obama had been white, his credentials would not be adequate to gain electability. However, I must say that Obama is a good speaker. Unfortunately, Obama has demonstrated that there is a lack of knowledge behind his façade (YouTube "Obama Claims He's Visited 57 States")

Posted by: Now a McCain Supporter | July 12, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Bernie Mack... Obama has often said that in his family there are people who look like Margaret Thatcher and people who look like Bernie Mack. Senator Obama has a unique perspective to bring to American leadership because, as wonderfully diverse as our country is, any American can take a look at Obama's family tree and see a face that reminds them of their own.

Posted by: VAReader | July 12, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Didn't McCain just say that the USA's #1 export to Iran, cigarettes, was his way way of killing Iranians ?

Not a peep from the Hillaryites one that one.

Posted by: Bitter and Whiney Nation | July 12, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

we've gotten another peek around the curtain at Obama

another glimse at his woman hating, his nasty since of "humor" , his real self

Posted by: Mang | July 12, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Bernie Mac is a crude and rude comic. He should have more sense, but he is too arrogant to tone it down. Obama ain't one of da bruddahs, Bernie. Dig?

Posted by: Daddio on the Paddio | July 12, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

It is amazing to me that no one has noticed that this joke was stolen from British philosopher George Bernard Shaw.
---He addresses a lady of the realm at an official function, and says "Madam, if I
gave you a million pounds, would you sleep with me?"
"Certainly", replies
the woman.
"Well then", responds Shaw, "would you sleep with me if I gave you a single pound".
"Certainly not! How dare you offer that! What do you take me for?" replies the woman.
"We've already established that" says
Shaw. "We are merely quibbling about the price."

Posted by: bobB | July 12, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Obama = Bush

Posted by: Keith | July 12, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

The Bernie Mac Story! From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Early life
Mac was born in Chicago, Illinois, and was raised by a single mother, Mary, who died of cancer when Mac was sixteen.[2] Mac attended Chicago Vocational Career Academy. The start of Mac's career was during high school, when he would put on shows for neighborhood kids in Chicago's south side until moving to Tampa. During his 20s he worked in a variety of jobs; he was a furniture mover, UPS agent and a bread delivery sales rep. Mac has claimed that he was whipped with a belt by both his mother and grandmother during his childhood.

- Career
Mac started as a stand-up comedian in Chicago's Cotton Club. He won the Miller Lite Comedy Search at the age of 32, at which point his popularity as a comedian began to grow. A performance on HBO's Def Comedy Jam thrust him into the spotlight. He opened for Dionne Warwick, Redd Foxx and Natalie Cole. He also had a short-lived talk show on HBO titled Midnight Mac. Later, Mac also began acting in minor roles, and received his big break as Pastor Clever in Ice Cube's 1995 film Friday. Following that role, Mac would also work in many other movies, and some television appearances, including Booty Call, How to Be a Player, Life and What's the Worst That Could Happen?. Mac was one of the few African American comedic actors to be able to break out of the traditional "black comedy" genre, having roles in the 2001 remake of Ocean's Eleven and becoming the new Bosley for the Charlie's Angels sequel Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle. In 2003, he also turned in an impressive performance in a small but important role as Gin "The Store Dick" in Bad Santa. He also starred in Guess Who?, a comedic remake of the film Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. He also made an appearance in the 2007 movie Transformers as Bobby Bolivia

In 2000, Mac continued with his stand-up comedy roots, touring the country as one of "The Kings of Comedy", along with Steve Harvey, Cedric the Entertainer and D.L. Hughley. The comedy act was filmed by Spike Lee and was included later in the movie The Original Kings of Comedy.

In 2001, Fox gave Mac his own sitcom called The Bernie Mac Show, somewhat based on his own life. In the show, he suddenly becomes custodian over his sister's three children after she enters rehab. It was a success in part because it allows Mac to stay true to his stand-up comedy roots, breaking the fourth wall to communicate his thoughts to the audience. The show contained many parodies of events in Bernie's actual life. However, the show was not renewed after the 2006 season. Viewers were left without a conclusion for the series, and no ending to the storyline where Bernie and Wanda were trying to have a baby. His character on The Bernie Mac Show was ranked #47 in TV Guide's list of the "50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time" [20 June 2004 issue].

In 2004, Mac had his first starring role as a retired baseball player in the movie Mr. 3000. In the 2003 NLCS, Mac sang "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" at Wrigley Field with the Cubs leading the Florida Marlins in the series 3-2 and up in Game Six 3-0. Instead of saying "root, root, root for the Cubbies" Mac said, "root, root, root for the champions!" The Cubs would go on to lose the game and the series, with some fans claiming that Mac helped to jinx the Cubs. Mac later admitted that he has hated the Cubs his whole life, is a die-hard White Sox fan, and was seen during the 2005 World Series at US Cellular Field.

Mac is number 72 on Comedy Central's list of the 100 greatest standups of all time. On March 19, 2007 Mac told David Letterman on CBS Late Show that he will retire from his 30-year career after he finishes shooting the comedy film The Whole Truth, Nothing but the Truth, So Help Me Mac. "I'm going to still do my producing, my films, but I want to enjoy my life a little bit," Mac told Letterman. "I missed a lot of things, you know".

Posted by: Ronald | July 12, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

How about how Obama treats his own supporters.

Posted by: greenfun | July 12, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

The real "HO" is Obama who would sell his kids and soul for a vote!! Hey just messing with you man!! LOL!! You blind Obamites at this point are so pathetic in you blindness that the bridge is waiting on you..Maybe Obama's NASCAR can be called the "HO" with his picture on it!!lol!!

Posted by: dragonfly777 | July 12, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

That's an old joke attributed to George Bernard Shaw.

It seems Shaw was sitting next an attractive woman who was flirting with
him, when he suddenly asked her if she would sleep with him for 10,000
pounds.
The woman looked at him coquettishly, and allowed how she might.
GB then asked her if she would sleep with him for 10 pounds?
She hotly answered "Sir! What kind of a woman do you take me for!"
"We've already established what you are, ma'am. Now we're just haggling over
the price."

Posted by: Christine | July 12, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

61 policy reversals from the Republican nominee.

"Jukebox John Keeps Changing His Tune" by Steve Benen came out yesterday in the Huffington report!

It's obvious that the McCain campaign and the RNC have decided to go after Barack Obama as a flip-flopper. What's equally obvious, though, that Republicans couldn't have chosen a worse narrative.

McCain & Co. seemed to stumble on this line of attack almost by accident. They'd experimented with a variety of memes in recent months, none of which had any real salience. The right settled on "flip-flopper," in large part because it's the closest available, already-written Republican narrative, and in part because McCain staffers haven't been able to think of anything else.

After working on this project for a few months, I'm pleased to report that we now have a whopping 61 policy reversals from the Republican nominee.

Posted by: Susie A | July 12, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Thie doesn't surprise me. Obama and his supporters do not have any respect for women. This has been apparent from the beginning. There is not any difference between Bush and Obama. Both will lie about anything. Both ran their campaign on hope and unity but had their "people" out stirring up hate and division. People do not learn! We deserve what we get! I don't understand people who voted for Bush and are now mad at him. They knew what he stood for. They may have fooled themselves but deep down they knew. Same with Obama - people know he doesn't stand for anything but they will vote for him because he has a D after his name. They will be mad at him and feel betrayed after he is elected and sides with republicans. They will have no one else to blame but themselves! If you tell Obama you will vote for him so matter how far right he goes because he is better than republicans (even tho he votes with republicans) you are fooling yourselves and deserve what you get! Vote Green if you really care about the USA! Obama cares about Obama - after the last week can there be any doubt.

Posted by: Julie | July 12, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Obama for president,now thats a joke

Posted by: haha | July 12, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Bill O'Reilly and Karl Rove Joke!

An Airliner was flying across America carrying the Pilot, Bill O'Reilly, a Barack Obama Supporter, a Girl Scout and Karl Rove.

Suddenly the plane's engine failed, and there were only 4 parachutes on the plane. Everyone started arguing about who should get the parachutes.

The Pilot says, "I have a wife and 8 kids," he takes one and jumps out.

Bill O'Reilly runs screaming, takes another, and jumps.

Karl Rove takes one and jumps saying "I can't die, I'm the Smartest American in the World!"

The Barack Obama supporter says to the Girl Scout "Go ahead, take the last parachute." The Girl Scout replies, "Oh don't worry sir, there's one for both of us. The Smartest American in the World just took my backpack."

Posted by: Cooday | July 12, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

This country is to moralized to have a man like Bernie Mac who in many instances is a realist yet can turn it into a comedy joke so raw the moralizers would pull there hairs out in anger.Bernie and Politics is like Dish Soap and Bleach.They do not mix.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

MinniePearlJam,
Obama is much more prepared to be President than that bumbling idiot McCain will ever be. He has the right ideas and political instincts to get our national car out of the ditch the drunken Bush and his pals have driven us into. If you think four more years of the same old McSame is what we need, you might try taking your head out of that place where the sun don't shine.

Posted by: Chuck | July 12, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

This is simply more evidence of incompetence. Why in the world would you let anyone open for you at a major campaign event and not know what he was going to say beforehand? Then he goes to New York and says that his first priority will be to order the Joint Chiefs of Staff to "end this war." This naive pop star candidate doesn't know that the Joint Chiefs of Staff are not in the military change of command. They don't take orders, they dont give orders. They are advisors only. And he wants to be President? Who are we kidding? This is nothing more than a child playing dress up in adult clothes.

Posted by: MinniePearlJam | July 12, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse