The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

New Media

Obama Plans Novel VP Announcement TXT

By Jose Antonio Vargas
"Da vp iz?"

In text messaging lingo, that translates to "The vice president is?"

How times change.

Last night, in a cell phone text message that was quickly followed by an e-mail linking back to a new page on his Web site -- my.barackobama.com/vp -- aides to Sen. Barack Obama's (D-Ill.) campaign wrote: "Barack will announce his VP candidate choice through txt message between now & the Conv. Tell everyone to text VP to 62262 to be the first to know! Please forward."

Note three things: the casual reference to the candidate ("Barack"); the call to "forward" the text (to friends, relatives, etc.); the perceived personal appeal of being "the first to know"; and the timing -- the text was sent two weeks before the Democratic National Convention kicks off. That gives plenty of time for the text to be passed around.

It also gives the Obama campaign one more way to differentiate itself technologically from its Republican opponent; Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) doesn't have a text messaging program.

A number of candidates have experimented with texting this campaign cycle, and Obama has by far been the most prolific texter. Though Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.), former governor Mitt Romney (R-Mass.) and Edwards all had text messaging programs, Obama's campaign has used the technology most consistently. Since announcing its program last summer, Obama has sent at least 25 texts to supporters.

Posted at 8:30 AM ET on Aug 11, 2008  | Category:  New Media
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Clinton, Michelle Obama Get 'Headline' Spots at Convention | Next: McCain: NATO Should Address "Russian Aggression"

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Remember that discrimination against someone based on race, age, or gender is all prejudicial. To be prejudice against someone based on age is just as bigoted as to be prejudiced against someone based on race.

But maybe only educated people realize this?

Posted by: Keith | August 12, 2008 11:58 AM

But maybe only educated people realize this?

Posted by: Keith | August 12, 2008 11:55 AM

Common Sense12,

Clinton lost. Deal with it.

Besides, he's not just mailing it in. There will be a formal and official announcement after the text messages go out. I don't know why you would think otherwise.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 10:42 AM

Sweet fear-mongering, AmeriWoman.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 10:40 AM

Don't be in any rush for the news.... Khaled Mashaal and Ismail Haniya will get before any Americans do.

(Hamas Leaders)

Posted by: AmeriWoman | August 12, 2008 8:16 AM

McCain is going to use the Pony Express to announce his.

Posted by: ericmiami | August 12, 2008 8:06 AM

This is great. He's going to "mail" it in. Shows a lot of "respect" (NOT) for the Vice President position, and we the voters (NOT).

THERE SHOULD BE A HILLARY CLINTON VOTE AT THE CONVENTION

Voters all over the country voted for her. Her delegates will be there. We should insist that those who believe they are now in control of this “staged” Denver convention or “coronation”, that is the Obama people including Howard Dean and Speaker Nancy Pelosi, should realize it's good politics to let them (the Clinton Delegates) "speak" for us by casting the vote WE the voters gave them.

If not, that is a problem.

If that were to happen (no Clinton floor vote), let me suggest that all Clinton duly elected delegates meet downtown Denver at some large public square or auditorium, pass around an attendance roster, and record their votes. Local and national press will cover that and get the word out.

We would like to have that recorded. Thank you.

Posted by: Common Sense12 | August 12, 2008 7:49 AM

Maria dear, itsnt a question of years, if that was the case then evaluate sen.McCain at 47 and draw the line.Bravo Sen.Obama.
Americans analyse issues maturely the world is watching!

Posted by: L.Zam | August 12, 2008 5:08 AM

For me Wayne Steffen has hit the nail on the head.

As a former field organiser who's worked with online tools, asking someone to volunteer on Election Day by phone is far more effective than asking them to do so by email.

By gathering all these numbers Obama's field operation will be able to use its brilliant distributed phone-bank tool to get people on the email list (or already part of the field operation) to call even more potential volunteers, resulting in a far larger field operation.

Brilliant if you ask me.

Posted by: Oli Mac | August 12, 2008 5:03 AM

what will micvain say if he is exposed for a sex scandal or multipal sex scandals. we will whatch how he criticises the little puke johnieo.my guess is that mcikey vain will not say much about johineosa. clap clap clap. hive I vant. coolaids who knows . who knows how the wind blows or if it blows at all. kno one knows but johinios

Posted by: George | August 12, 2008 1:32 AM

Jason, remember that Grandpa McCain does not understand the Internet, so how can he understand texting? I text folks as far as Hawaii (I live on the East Coast).

Then again, McCain doesn't understand the economy either. Our economy is becoming (if not already) 'Net-centric, so I want a president who understands the new realities of the 21st century. Sorry, McLame is not the one by his own admissions of what he does not understand.

Posted by: Black and Bitter Like Coffee | August 12, 2008 12:34 AM

the entire story is so skewed for McCant, why dont you just admit his Campaign wrote it for you.
War Hero, blah blah. 26 years , oohhh.What has he really DONE for this country besides earn a paycheck , abandon a sick wife, and pander to the neo-cons for his run.And this artice actually lifts that dig for votes even higher, saying the "elder generation" carried this country on its back, or lifted us .WHATEVER!!
I bust it out just as hard as any old schooler ever did, yet dollar for dollar, we make a third less for our hard work.
Old school made the money, wasted it, and now the Neo-cons want to say theyll help you along your elderly ways??watch your back, seniors, remember what the GOP did to the Christian Right movement?? How Bout that Moral Majority thing? Why did the GOP turn their backson the one major reason they were in control for so long??
If you truly beleive the GOP has the only right candidate, or right answer for your questions, you need to look a little deeper into our recent history!!Social security, medicare and Aid reforms to make it a little harder for everyone to get by.Stimulus checks to help the "wee " people feel a little releif, while the wealthiest of our land get tax cuts to the tune of MILLIONS.
If thats how you like your government to treat you, Vote for McCain, he'll gladly continue your misery.
Oh, and as far as McCain being in touch with anyone remotely his age,ask his wife, heiress to millions, how she feels about being a senior citizen!!of course, you'll have to catch her between 200,000 dollar shopping sprees.

Posted by: Bill | August 11, 2008 11:47 PM

Maria: How old are you? 100?

Virtually everyone I know is over 40 and is a supporter of Barack Obama. And everyone, except for my 91-year-old father, uses email, which is how I signed up to hear about the VP choice.

Get real.

Posted by: Susan | August 11, 2008 9:58 PM

@Jason: Yeah, because once Obama texts out his VP choice, the mass-media is never going to figure out who the VP is.

Get real.

Posted by: Alex | August 11, 2008 7:24 PM

>>>Remember back in 2000 when we were deciding what to do with the budget *surplus* after 8 years of Democratic rule? Bush sure fixed that quickly enough. How can you remain a Republican when the party is wasting trillions?

Sorry Joe, I agree with most of your comment, but you completely wrong on that part. If you want to look it up, go the US treasury web site and look at our debt, you can get it year by year, or even down to the day. Clinton NEVER balanced the budget or had a surplus, he just paid off parts of out debt by taking on a different debt. The numbers were over inflated, and the first year bush was President the deficit jumped more than the previous year, and the first year he was president was Clinton's economy. He was MUCH better for the economy than either of the Bush clowns, but he still increased out debt by a lot (anything over a trillion $$ is a lot, and his debt was more than that). Clinton actually left Bush with an economy sliding into recession, though it was minor compared to what we have today.

But like I said, I pretty much agree with the rest of what you said

Posted by: Robert | August 11, 2008 6:10 PM

@Joe: Some corrections to your hasty assumptions: I'm a computer programmer posting from my custom installation of Arch Linux - text messaging is no problem. I'm also not a Republican.
Some corrections to your skewed thinking: "elite" and "elitist" are two different things; I want a president who is both elite and concerned with those who are not. And John McCain showed what kind of leader he is as a POW - I may not be a fan, but I respect that, just like I respect Barack Obama's intellect and hard work. I am just unwilling to engage in unthinking hero-worship or unthinking condemnation.
@Chris: That's the most hilarious comment I've read all day!

___________________________________________

I'm sick of everyone talking about him being a POW. I thought that the best soldiers get away from their enemy.

Mentally insane man would asked to stay longer when they were going to release him. It's more to this story. Maybe he had some booty!

Posted by: Ms.Rita | August 11, 2008 5:46 PM

What next? We see by way of TV, The McCane puppet, reading the cue notes from the present adminstration, sounding off about Russia and Georgia. The President made his pitch and we are now, bled dry of any muscle we could or should use against Russia. We May end up being a Nation, with nothing left but, text messages, to show our strength. What a shame, but dare we say anything against a mess, created by a President who is trying to make a world in his image, but when the first crack appers, he is without any muscle to protect his vision. What next?
NgeeB.

Posted by: NgeeB | August 11, 2008 5:45 PM

Cheesy, ploy to obtain email addresses!

Posted by: theaz | August 11, 2008 5:42 PM

Obama keeps on picking forums that insulate him from the media. Like his stupid podium speeches or the you-Tube thing that helps Obama avoid questions from the reporters. Tells me that he is hiding something.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 4:41 PM

This is funny. The wealthy Arab states in the Persian Gulf region have been using text messages for at least 15 years, long before it became popular here in America. Comically, most of the messages relate to sex since that is a taboo subject on most of their radio and television stations. I think I'll just wait and read about it in the newspapers or watch it on the national TV news. Ho hum in the meantime.

Posted by: David S. Robins | August 11, 2008 4:10 PM

Mr. Uniter Obama is now trying to divide this country by age. He has no respect for those that did the heavy lifting before him. That's why most folks over 40 have not warmed up to him. Although he is 47.

Posted by: Maria | August 11, 2008 4:08 PM

Will Obama's txt be something like:

Teh VP 4 Obama is [name]!!!!11!!!cos 2pi!!!eleventy!!!2!!!

Posted by: AK | August 11, 2008 3:30 PM

Testing ...

Posted by: greinerb | August 11, 2008 3:22 PM

Jason,
Ask anyone Obama's age if they consider themselves old. You may be surprised.
BTW, posting twice does not increase the drama of your post, it just makes you look lame to most people. Maybe you should learn something about technology.

Posted by: Jim | August 11, 2008 2:21 PM

@Chris: That's the most hilarious comment I've read all day!

Posted by: Jason | August 11, 2008 2:13 PM

To be fair, I hear McCain plans to announce his choice via telegraph. This is of personal significance to the Republican, since he is a contemporary of Samuel Morse.

Posted by: Chris | August 11, 2008 1:54 PM

@Jason: If you use that standard, there's no way to communicate with everyone. You know, there are plenty of people out there with no phones, etc. This is just a way to let people find out straight from him instead of through the news media. Being able to text is not a high bar in this day and age. Well, except for people like you, it seems. Who helped you get online?

Anyhow, I *want* someone elite running the country. Being elite means that you're among the best. Obama went from a poor, single-parent household to graduating from the Ivy League. Not like McCain (and Bush) who got in as a legacy.

Not to mention that McCain was forth from the BOTTOM of his class in the Air Force. It was something like his first mission when he was shot down. Probably just as well. How many would his incompetence have killed in war but for that? I don't want to find out by making him president.

We don't need another screwup like Bush who only got ahead because of daddy's coattails. Like W following the elder Bush in politics, McCain's dad was an admiral, or he'd have never gotten where he did. Obama worked his way up from the ghetto.

But you only know soundbytes, right? Do you know anything about the candidates? This country is on the wrong track. We need the BEST president for the job. Frankly, it's incomprehensibly stupid to me that McCain is arguing that Obama is better than him by calling him elite.

I mean, it's not like voting for a Nobel prize winner instead of a moron could have prevented an unnecessary, trillion dollar war, right?

Posted by: Joe | August 11, 2008 1:51 PM

Not to mention that this is a great way for Obama to harvest telephone numbers.

Posted by: Wayne Steffen | August 11, 2008 12:17 PM

Wow. Text messaging like a 12 year old. This IS the type of change America needs! Obama IS a true visionary.

Posted by: Scott | August 11, 2008 11:59 AM

@David + James: I know there are many people of all ages who use text messaging, but it's only polite to use a medium that is accessible to everyone: the poor who don't have easy access to expensive technology, technophobes, Luddites - whoever. Certainly you can't say the traditional news media haven't achieved total coverage! In a national election, the full participation of _all_ the public is essential; a candidate who acts contrary to that principle is in my eyes an elitist.

Posted by: Jason | August 11, 2008 11:37 AM

Obama young?

Only in this country could being almost 50 be considered young. You baby boomers in the press crack me up.

Posted by: Leroy | August 11, 2008 10:08 AM

Obama young?

Posted by: Leroy | August 11, 2008 10:08 AM

"not just the tech-savvy young" Um, try again Jason. My father and mother (who, FYI, are retired and live on a farm in Texas) are both 70 and 72 respectively. Not only do they email me, but they text me from time to time. According to SNL Kagan, we're looking at around 85 percent of Americans as having mobile phones. So no, it is not tech-savvy young here. Please quit the back handed jabs portraying the American people as ignant' curmudgeons. Thanks!

Posted by: David | August 11, 2008 10:01 AM

i like the coldness on my dinky

Posted by: c-rat | August 11, 2008 9:57 AM

"Four years ago, Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) announced his vice presidential nominee, then Sen. John Edwards (D-N.C.), at a morning rally in Pittsburgh. "

Not entirely true.

While Kerry did make his 'official' announcement at the morning rally, he did send an email announcement to those who were subscribed to his mailing list before the rally.

Posted by: TheGribbler | August 11, 2008 9:56 AM

Jason, do you think there will be an effort to keep the information off of the general media? I guess my 70 year old parents are techno elitists also. They use text messages and email and even video messaging to stay in touch with their grandchildren.

Posted by: James | August 11, 2008 9:29 AM

Wow. Now, not only is Mr. Obama an elitist, he's a techno-elitist as well. Mr. McCain should make sure to point out that he's willing to work with everyone, not just the tech-savvy young, by communicating through mass-media channels that are accessible to everyone.

Posted by: Jason | August 11, 2008 9:15 AM