The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Hillary Rodham Clinton

Clinton Dismisses McCain Ads

Note: Please upgrade your Flash plug-in to view our enhanced content.

Hillary Clinton smiles after she arrived at the New York delegation breakfast in Denver, Monday, Aug. 25, 2008. (Ed O'Keefe / washingtonpost.com)

Updated 12:39 p.m.
By Ed O'Keefe
In what could be a preview of her Tuesday night address, Hillary Clinton defiantly dismissed John McCain's new television commercials that encourage her former supporters to support his campaign.

"I'm Hillary Clinton and I do not approve this message," Clinton said of the ads to loud cheers at the New York Democratic Party's delegation breakfast this morning at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Denver.

"Let there be no mistake about it. We are united. We are united for change. We are, after all Democrats, so it may take awhile. We're not the fall in line party. We're diverse. Many voices. But make no mistake, we are united.

"I ask each and every one of you to work as hard for Barack and Joe Biden as you worked for me," she said to her fellow delegates, some of whom waved "Hillary Made History" placards.

In a media availability with reporters following the breakfast, Clinton reiterated her opposition to McCain's ads.

"I don't appreciate having my name or my words or for that matter Sen. Biden's words used. There's nothing I can do about it, except speak out against it, and hope people won't give it any credence."

"If you voted for me, you have much more in common with Senator Obama on every issue I campaigned on, on every cause that I have stood for, than you do with Senator McCain," she said when asked what she thought of her former supporters considering a McCain vote.

Regarding news reports of fresh tension between the Clinton and Obama camps, Clinton insisted: "We have worked closely together. I have done more in the last two months than people in my position historically have done, and I'm going to keep doing it. And we are committed to winning the White House. I can only tell you what we're doing and how we're experiencing it."

Posted at 12:08 PM ET on Aug 25, 2008  | Category:  Hillary Rodham Clinton
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Obama and What it Takes | Next: Gasolina! Daddy Yankee Endorses McCain

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Hillary and Bill have been stealing from everyone they could for the last 8 years -ever heard of Peter Paul? How about the china they stole from the White House or the kick backs after Bill gave out more pardons than all of the other presidents combined? Please both the Republican and the Democrats are thieves, both parties are run by the super rich, there is no representation for the middle and lower classes. Everyone needs to wake up and realize that.

Posted by: freetom1 | August 26, 2008 4:07 PM

Hillary and Bill have been stealing from everyone they could for the last 8 years -ever heard of Peter Paul? How about the china they stole from the White House or the kick backs after Bill gave out more pardons than all of the other presidents combined? Please both the Republican and the Democrats are stealing bastards, both parties are run by the super rich, there is no representation for the middle and lower classes. Everyone needs to wake up and realize that.

Posted by: freetom | August 26, 2008 4:06 PM

LOL!!! Pelosi Tells Disappointed Clinton Supporters to Avoid 'Victim Politics'

Isn't 'Victim Politics' what the entire Democratic Party is built upon?!

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 6:59 PM

Any way we can killfile the trolls?

Posted by: Bob Currie | August 25, 2008 4:45 PM

"They had 21 debates!!"

Where? When?

Posted by: Jack The Ripper | August 25, 2008 4:17 PM

McCain has so much wealth he has no concept of money—unless of course it's money from lobbyists and corporations or to buy more mansions. That's why at the Saddleback forum McCain ludicrously declared it takes $5 million to move from "middle class" to "rich." That's why he admitted economics isn't his strong suit and came up with a plan to sink our country even further into debt. And that's why he can't sympathize with Americans facing foreclosure, soaring gas prices, unemployment, and the daunting costs of health insurance. None of these problems register when you're living in a solid gold bubble like McCain, or however many gold bubbles he's living in.

Posted by: It's time to end the Republican Fascist ruling of America | August 25, 2008 3:57 PM

To Jack;

"...He is a wimp (wouldn't even debate her)..."

They had 21 debates!! Where were you??

Posted by: Sid | August 25, 2008 3:45 PM

Here, I agree with Hillary Clinton. The use of a "Clinton-Supporter" from Racine, to produce a pseudo-indorsement is a cheap tactic. She rejected it roundly.

I also agree with Senator Clinton's reasons for the need for unity. Many will try and divide and distract the voters from the seriousness of the choice in November. The choice is between a democratic president with a democratic congress with a serious commitment to get the ship of state back on course, or a republican third term. A vote for McCain is a vote for a continuation of the current mis-management of foreign policy and further federal deficits.

It is that clear.

Yours clearly, Chris Brown in Hamburg

Posted by: Chris Brown | August 25, 2008 3:36 PM

I'ma da JakeD . .
I'ma da JakeD . .
I'ma da JakeD . .
JakeD, JakeD, JakeD . .

Aww yeah,
Aw yeah,
Aww yeah, yeah, yeah. . .

You fear me,
You clearly,
Cant stand me,

Ima like-a mole,
Who'se on parole,
But I aint selling ma soul,

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 3:35 PM

Yep there must be a full moon out , the Republicans are spreading the slime again.

Posted by: Westexacan | August 25, 2008 3:29 PM

The core of the problem is that Hillary is herself not a very convincing figure. Few believe that she is truly behind Obama. And none believe that Bill respects Obama as a candidate, who beats his wife. So this whole show is just to play games, and treat everyone like fools.

Posted by: indi | August 25, 2008 3:29 PM

Mike in sac: "Giving Hillary her moment in the spot light at the convention does not show questionable judgement by Obama. It shows that he is bigger than petty politics."

No, after dumping her for VP he is using her to try to get votes. He is a wimp (wouldn't even debate her) now hiding behind her skirt. he is quite suckful.

Posted by: Jack The Ripper | August 25, 2008 3:28 PM

"Cindy McOld, the peroxide blonde"

Hey... I'll take Cindy over Michell any day.

Posted by: Jack The Ripper | August 25, 2008 3:24 PM

If it has to take so much pampering to unit the party, sorry, that just proved that the resentment is very deep. They are spending so much time and effort at the convention, just to unit the party? All the hard feelings that led to this is not going to be erased by one convention or a few speeches.

Posted by: indi | August 25, 2008 3:24 PM

"The talk of Muslim"

Obama is 50% muslim. Too bad it can't be 100% for you Obama nuts.

Posted by: Jack The Ripper | August 25, 2008 3:20 PM

The talk of Muslim and Obama is getting just so lame and, shall I say, juvenile. Yawn..., litsen up, this site is for grown ups. Think I told you boys and girls that before

Posted by: thisworld | August 25, 2008 3:15 PM

My god, McOld's new ad is so tastless and crude, you have to think that it is a product of Cindy McOld, the peroxide blonde.

Posted by: thisworld | August 25, 2008 3:12 PM

I am JakeD, HEAR MY ROOOAAAAARRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 3:02 PM

Atleast we are safe in this country from those fundamentalist islamic terrorists who are waging violence all over commom people.. rookie Obama is weak and is not qualified and fit to be a commander in chief.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 3:00 PM

Some who are opposed to Obama look to make anything into a negative. Skewed realities re-enforce your own bias. You look for the negative so hard you ignore all else.

Wake up or McCain will have sold out our country to the corporations in a continuance of Bush.

Posted by: Mike in Sac | August 25, 2008 2:32 PM

"I continue to be shocked that any self-respecting woman would vote for McCain"

Then have your meds at hand in November.

Posted by: Jack The Ripper | August 25, 2008 2:21 PM

"Questionable character of Obama"

No longer questionable. He puts the Clintons in the posittion of uniting the party. He is a shallow man.

Posted by: Billw | August 25, 2008 2:19 PM

Is somebody researching that woman in the ad who claims she is a Hillary supporter voting for McCain? What do we know about her? We now know that one of the PUMA women who appeared on Larry King actually donated $500 to McCain in 2000! There must be a story on this latest one.

(I'm a 60+ white female Obama supporter. I continue to be shocked that any self-respecting woman would vote for McCain under any circumstances.)

Posted by: Julie | August 25, 2008 2:18 PM

This is what I am talking about.. Clinton is preassurized to come out and do these kind of things against her true positions. We can clearly see the sadness behind these words of Hillary.

We know here for years now and such a wonderful person she is, no matter what she says under the preassure.. we know what is good for us and our country... we will do that this fall..

Questionable character of Obama is going to bring down brainless Democrats this fall.

Posted by: jon | August 25, 2008 2:13 PM

REPUBLICAN CONVENTION SCHEDULE LEAKED!

Day 1 of the RNC schedule:

7:00 pm – Ceremonial burning of the U.S. Constitution

7:15 pm – Spiritual Medium Sylvia Browne performs psychic séance in desperate attempt to raise Ronald Reagan from the grave.

7:35 pm – "The Pleasures of Adultery" - with Newt Gingrich & Rudy Giuliani

8:05 pm – Gay sex party in Minneapolis Airport's Men's Restroom hosted by Senator Larry Craig

8:35 pm - Transvestite Ann Coulter – "My Life as a Man"

8:55 pm – Live satellite feed from Federal Prison – Ohio Rep. Bob Ney

9:05 pm – Guest speaker ex-Florida Congressman Mark Foley " Joys with Young Boys"

9:25 pm – Oliver North – "Iran is Evil, but I sold them weapons anyway"

9:40 pm – Bill O' Reilly – "The costs of sexual harassment and phone sex with employees"

10:00 pm – Gay sex party in Men's Room hosted by Ken Mehlman and Geraldo Rivera

10:25 pm – Check on McCain to see if he's still breathing and if his adult diaper needs changed.

10:35 pm – N.R.A. President hosts an assault riffle target practice on Gays and Mexicans.

10:45 pm - Call emergency squad after a drunken Darth Cheney accidentally shoots his friend in the face.

11:00 pm – Bush performs his hilarious comedy routine where he looks for Iraq's fictitious WMD's under guests tables.

11:15 pm – Governor Mike Huckabee does his famous uncanny imitation of Gomer Pyle.

11:20 pm – Group intervention to get Rush Limbaugh back into drug rehab

11: 45 pm – Go up on rooftop and throw rocks down at homeless Vets sleeping in alley.

12:00 am – Live satellite feed from Federal Prison – California Congressman Randy "Duke" Cunningham

12:20 am – Convicted felon/Fox News analyst G. Gordon Liddy – Lock picking secrets

12: 40 am – Guest speakers Donald Rumsfeld and Paul Wolfowitz – "How to lie your Country into a War"

1:00 am – Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay – "Tips on Money Laundering"

1:15 am – Hookers arrive for after party

Posted by: ExxonMcCain | August 25, 2008 2:11 PM

John McCain has an anger that scares me the most. This guy will do anything to please the war mongers, another war insight if mccain wins, this guy won't hesitate a bit in pulling a trigger to start another war. He has a medal of honor of being a POW now let's not use this excuse to elect him and ship millions of jobs to foreign countries.

Posted by: AP | August 25, 2008 2:10 PM

You should all ignore JakeD. He is just a hack. A shill being paid to post by the Republicans. He supported Clinton because the Repubs wanted to run against her. Now he is working the angle for McCain, but he has always been a paid Repub hack.

Posted by: Mike in Sac | August 25, 2008 2:09 PM

Hillary has to lead the charge to unity as she was the most divisive in the primary campaign. She used every negative tactic to try and win, but did not. She even compared McCain more favorably to herself than Obama.

Now she must attack McCain and highlight how far he is away from the Dems positions. This is easy as the Maverick is now docile a Neocon Trojan Horse.

Posted by: Mike in Sac | August 25, 2008 2:07 PM

You Hillary supporters are a cult! What is it with you people?? We are DEMOCRATS...not hillarycrats, obamacrats, etc...We are running against a political ideology that over the past 8 years has damaged our country badly! and you idiots are willing to continue the same republican policies??? You Hillary wackjobs are insane and are not true democrats...you are all selfish, pathetic children

Posted by: Brandon | August 25, 2008 1:48 PM

COULD JOHN MCCAIN BE THIS INSANE?
Many who know him think so.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:44 PM

WHAT SOME OF THE PEOPLE WHO KNOW HIM BEST SAY ABOUT JOHN MCCAIN.......

"He is a vicious person"
Former representative Charles LeBoutillier R-NY
---------------
"An embarrassment to the party"
Arizona GOP state senator Susan Johnson
---------------
"There is nothing redeeming about John Mccain...he's a hypocrite"
Former house GOP whip Tom DeLay
-----------------
"The thought of him being president sends a chill down my spine. He is erratic"
Senator Thad Cochran, R- MS
------------------
"Hard headed is one way to say it. Arrogant is another way to say it. It's a quality about him that disturbs me".
Larry Wilkerson, former chief aide to Colin Powell
------------------
"What happens if he gets angry in a crisis...? It's the presidents job to negotiate and stay calm. I just don't see that he has that quality".
Former Arizona GOP chairman John Hinz
-------------------
"His temper would place this country at risk...and the world perhaps in danger. In my mind that should disqualify him"
Former Senator Bob Smith, R-NM
-------------------
"I decided I didn't want this guy anywhere near a trigger."
Senator Pete Domenici, R-NM

))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Ok, just 2 things...

I can't wait to see the part where Hillary says "Change you can Xerox" and how Joe Biden dropped out of the election back in the late 80s for a Plagiarism Scandal!

"Change the President and Vice President can Xerox!"

McChange 08' "The only solution left for America..."

Posted by: Not a Pawn to ObamaCON! | August 25, 2008 1:30 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:43 PM

It may seem like McCain is, yet again, pulling out the ol' "Noun, Verb, POW" card to shield himself from any criticism over any subject. But this is simply not the case. Instead, McCain suffers from PTCRHMHIOD, or Post Traumatic Can't Remember How Many Houses I Own Disorder.

This horrible condition has forever altered the lives of countless Vietnam Vets after their return to the States. In fact, it is the number one cause of divorce between former POWs and their millionaire liquor-heiress wives.

Posted by: astral99 | August 25, 2008 1:42 PM

Clinton was cheated out of the nomination by the media, and by Obama not being vetted until after the first 9 primaries. Clinton deserved the nomination.

Now on top of this, Obama dumps her as VP, and then turns the responsibility of uniting the party over to her at denver. He is an extremely shallow person, supported by people of like kind.

Posted by: Billw | August 25, 2008 1:39 PM

Ok, just 2 things...

"Change the President and Vice President can Xerox!"

McChange 08' "The only solution left for America..."

Posted by: Not a Pawn to ObamaCON! | August 25, 2008 1:30 PM

I only have one thing to say... "BAHAHAHA!!!"

Posted by: Not a Pawn to ObamaCON! | August 25, 2008 1:27 PM

See ya at the convention everyone!...wait a minute, I think I left my huge foam finger in house #5, but it could have been house #7 since that's the last one I bought. . . what's that? I bought 10 houses? Damn. I guess I'll have to check with my staff and get back to you.
I Hate It When That Happens!

I am so hoping Grandpa McMansion's picks Plastic Mitt as his running-mate.

The ads have already written themselves..."my friends" and there's alot more where this came from:

Posted by: McCain = Bush's third term | August 25, 2008 1:27 PM

I doubt any really care they are just opportunists who are using this Hillary issue to forward their own agendas. These people would never get a shot on Larry King or any main stream media normally. The one woman based in Miami, I forget her name is a joke. To her this is an opportunity to make a buck with her website but it doesn't seem to be working. The last rally she formed she got 4 as in "4" to show up. This Hillary thing is completely overblown.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:17 PM

Hillary is showing her leadership and understanding of the competitive political election process. Yes, I understand the disappoint, however life goes on and a true professional moves on. The reality of the situation stands above any one individual. The Republican Party minions simply love their meddling role; they cannot manage their own party leastwise the Democratic Party. All they have left is McCain's negative campaigning and his rehashed POW stories as a justification for his gaffes and shortcomings. This time around the meddlers are down for the 2008 count!

Posted by: Lou R | August 25, 2008 1:07 PM

The Republicans can only win this by appealing to their base: Racists, fascists and the Super rich. They love to smear and throw the mud and deserve to be driven back under the rocks they slithered out from under.

Posted by: Johnpatrick9 | August 25, 2008 12:57 PM

Given the strong democratic tilt to this election - as is evidenced by so much data that only an ostrich wouldn't see the voter registration changes, primary turnout numbers for young and black voters, field operations etc. - the only way McCain can win is if he has some serious dirt on Obama and can kneecap him.

McCain's VP pick will be telling. If he goes with one of his friends, like Lieberman, then he's comfortable with the race. If he picks a Romney or someone who 'adds' something else to the ticket, then the jig is up.

He either has some serious dirt on Obama or he doesn't. If he keeps sniping at Obama with small and false charges, he's just going to increasingly look like a miserable old man who's better days are long behind him.

Posted by: Deep Blue | August 25, 2008 12:49 PM

watch an unedited interview with obama...he talks about the convention and more:

Posted by: tomabrahams | August 25, 2008 12:39 PM

Luke:

What part of "I wouldn't vote for Hillary Diane Clinton in a million years" are you having trouble understanding?

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 12:31 PM

A powerful and timely affirmation of Democratic resilience.

Posted by: First Mouse | August 25, 2008 12:31 PM

JakeD, whats the matter Jake, thought you were in L ove with Hillary?

Posted by: Luke | August 25, 2008 12:23 PM

"United" means 30-40% of her supporters won't vote for Barack Hussein Obama?!

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 12:22 PM

Was she lying then, or is she lying now?

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 12:14 PM