The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Ad Watch

McCain to Release New Ad as Obama is Speaking

By Michael D. Shear
Sen. John McCain is planning to air what his campaign is calling a "historic" ad right before his Democratic rival, Sen. Barack Obama, takes the stage for his presidential nomination acceptance speech, a spokeswoman said.

Speaking on Fox News, McCain Communications Director Jill Hazelbaker declined to give details about the ad, but said it will run in battleground states around the time that Obama talks.

"This is a historic ad. I think this is the first of its kind. Senator McCain is going to speak direct to camera to Barack Obama," Hazelbaker said. "I'm not going to give away many more details than that. But suffice to say it's going to be a very exciting ad, and I think it's going to get a lot of attention."

Speculation centered on the possibility that McCain could use the format to directly challenge Obama to a series of town hall meetings, much like he did earlier in the year.

Hazelbaker declined to say during her appearance on Fox's "Morning Joe."

"He's going to be talking directly to his opponent. So, I'm going to leave it there, but it's going be very exciting and a lot of people are going to focus on it," she said.

Posted at 12:16 PM ET on Aug 28, 2008  | Category:  Ad Watch
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Today, Live Online | Next: Washington Sketch: Live, From Golden, Colo., It's Al-Jazeera

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

You know, who really cares?

McCain is acting like a 12 year old - hardly the temperment I want in a president. I just ignore him - he's not dealing in facts or policy - just hooey, and there's too much at stake in this election to waste my vote on someone that doesn't take the situation seriously. Too bad mccain couldn't hold true to his word. I bet the 2000 version of McCain would have.

Posted by: Not fooled, not entertained. | August 28, 2008 4:59 PM

Let me guess--"my friend, I challenge you to combat. I was a POW you know, my friend. I didn't have a home than, my friend, so I need more than I can remember now. We need to invade Iran, my friend, we need to crush Russia, we need, my friend, to convince Iraq to let us stay at least 10 more years! Did I mention I was a POW. Stop whining about not being able to afford groceries or gas, it's all psychological, my friend. I wonder where Cindy is? My friend, do you know if I own a house in Minnesota? How about New Hampshire? I must own a house in New Hampshire, they like me up there, my friend. Did I mention, my friend, that I was a sunni...no that's shiite...no, I mean I was a POW....with 4, no 5 or is it 6, well if you count the condos...I was a POW, you know."

Posted by: sueb | August 28, 2008 4:16 PM

HEY McFoolish,why don't you release
your girlfriend from your wife money
that the NY times story had to punk out on
but guess what we have gotten more of the
story,NOW that ad will be release in OCT.

scoop jackson (FIRED UP AND REALLY TO GO!

Posted by: SCOOP JACKSON | August 28, 2008 3:56 PM

Gimmicks! I love those! Big... shiny... distracting! More gimmicks please!

Posted by: BB | August 28, 2008 3:41 PM

McCain is talking out of both sides of his mouth! He's just going to rehash the blight of Bush...

Republicans for Obama!!!

Posted by: Jillian | August 28, 2008 3:35 PM

John McCain is a spoiled child, green with envy. Thanks for the poor strategy GOP. Stepping on a historic moment will surely ensure your demise (although by the looks of the polls, that is already guaranteed). See ya on inauguration day in January. PRESIDENT OBAMA!! Read it and weep!

Posted by: JR | August 28, 2008 2:55 PM

Hate, anger and fear. That's all the Republicans have left. Oh, and weapons of mass distractions. The country is in the crapper because of their policies and actions and what do they want to talk about? He's holding a rally in front of something that looks like a temple!??! How presumptuous (uppity)!!!

Hate anger and fear, it's all they've got!

Posted by: thebob.bob | August 28, 2008 2:50 PM

Cal:

It is not "honorable" for McCain to air an ad right before Obama speaks?! BTW: McCain believes that human life begins at the moment of conception (Obama said that was above his pay grade). So, he is "for" that.

Posted by: JakeD | August 28, 2008 2:25 PM

People got on television in our area and said they are voting for Obama just because he is black.Hillary would be the nominee now, if all the racist blacks had not voted against her, just because she is white. What is so ironic, is that Jesse Jackson was right, when he said Obama looks down on black people, and he would like to cut off Obama's private parts.I don't think he should cut off Obama's private parts,but he was right, about Obama looking down on black people. As a black supporter, I would never vote for Obama, no matter who was running against him.

Posted by: ROCKY | August 28, 2008 1:50 PM

Just keep thinking that Obama is going on vacation JakeD. Now that Obama is free as the Democratic Presidential Nominee with his VP (Biden) at his side to go after John McCain, get the popcorn ready and have the medical aid kit available because poor John McCain is about to get hammered.

Obama has been saving up all the good stuff for this moment and after.

Watch and Learn! Watch and Learn!

Posted by: Obama-Junkie | August 28, 2008 1:43 PM

That is just tacky. The McCain campaign is becoming a side-show just to get media attention.

The McCain campaign should be more concerned with the expected low turnout of Republicans at the Republcian Covention as well as trying to dodge GW Bush & Cheney at the convention with Ron Paul and his supporters have a separated meeting in which some Democrats will take part in. I foresee more drama coming out of the Republican Convention than the Democratic Convention now.

Posted by: Obama-Junkie | August 28, 2008 1:38 PM

Does the McCain campaign actually stand FOR anything or are they so bankrupt of ideas that their only tactic is to tear down the other guy. If this is what McCain and his supporters think is "honorable" that it is apparent that McCain is not like Bush..he is WORSE!

Posted by: Cal | August 28, 2008 1:34 PM

Seamus:

Is Barack Hussein Obama going to take the week off during GOP Convention?

Posted by: JakeD | August 28, 2008 1:28 PM

It just gets better by the day for Republicans and the Hero...I'm lovin it

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 1:28 PM

JOHN MCCAIN, TRAITOR TO HIS COUNTRY, COLLABORATOR WITH THE ENEMY, MILITARY DISGRACE.
Ted Sampley, a Vietnam Veteran and former Green Beret, issued a CHALLENGE to John McCain "If you can show us that the information presented in our mailer is untruthful . . . we will Stand Down" This CHALLENGE was issued during an interview with INSIDE EDITION on January 17, 2008.
John, family members of Vietnam POW/MIA(s) have been waiting for more then 14 years for you to have the courage to face them eye to eye in front of the American Public - Here is your opportunity for some "STRAIGHT TALK." Stop hiding behind your fabricated "War Hero" persona. You know we can prove your collaborations with declassified government documents . . . It is time for the American people to get to know the REAL John McCain - the John McCain that the POW/MIA families witnessed during the 1991-93 US Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs .
Bring It On John! HERE IS OUR NUMBER 252-527-0442
*********** ************* ************** *********** ***********
Activists accused McCain of stonewalling the release of POW records because they contained evidence he had collaborated with the North Vietnamese.

-----
Sounds like the new ad could take some attention away from, and perhaps some of the sheen off, the (false) Messiah's grand investiture.

Posted by: Dave J | August 28, 2008 1:22 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 1:25 PM

MCCAIN TO A REPORTER ON THE MEANING OF HONOR

Reporters have frequently commented on the degeneration of John McCain's "Straight Talk Express" policy throughout the campaign, but his lack of openness with the press came to the fore in a recent interview with Time Magazine. Below are some excerpts from the interview.

McCain at first seemed happy enough to do the interview. But his mood quickly soured. The McCain on display in the 24-minute interview was prickly, at times abrasive, and determined not to stray off message.
...

Q-There's a theme that recurs in your books and your speeches, both about putting country first but also about honor. I wonder if you could define honor for us?

M-Read it in my books.

Q-I've read your books.

M-No, I'm not going to define it.

Q- But honor in politics?
M- I defined it in five books. Read my books.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 1:23 PM

Posted by: Dave J | August 28, 2008 1:22 PM

Is the Republican party really led by rude children?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 1:21 PM

I wonder if he will announce a running mate in the AD. At the Daily Gallup there is now a 6 point spread with Obama getting the convention bounce! http://www.gallup.com/poll/109897/Gallup-Daily-Obama-Moves-Ahead-48-42.aspx But at the real-time poll at http://www.bop-o-ram.com Not a lot of McCain bopping going on. Is it because his birthday is tomorrow? http://www.bop-o-rama.com/blog/2008/08/28/happy-birthday-john-a-day-early/

Posted by: mgultch | August 28, 2008 1:19 PM

"Morning Joe" is on PMSNBC- Not Fox.

Posted by: common Sense | August 28, 2008 1:09 PM

I hope that Hispanic voters realize that if Baracky Hussein Obama becomes President, they will be at the bottom of the barrel - Baracky Hussein Obama will have to pacify the Black voters after gaining 99 % of their vote.

Democrats for John McCain in 2008

Posted by: gary | August 28, 2008 1:05 PM

Another good reason to watch C-SPAN.

Posted by: pedestrian | August 28, 2008 1:02 PM

Petulant gimmick. Just like the entire McCain campaign. Why not wait until your convention, and then, instead of mocking and challenging Obama, tell the American people what you really believe in? Because nobody knows. Tax cuts for the rich during war: good or bad? You've said both. Cap and trade: for and against. Your own immigration bill: for and against. Who is John McCain, other than a pandering politician?

Posted by: Seamus | August 28, 2008 12:48 PM

might be a mistake to try to step on tonight. honestly, whatever u might feel about obama, this nomination is bigger than him & mccain. It is a new achievement for Americans. I really dont think he should ruin it.

Posted by: Susan | August 28, 2008 12:47 PM

Is Obama going to tarnish the Democratic brand like Bush tarnished the Republican brand? Obama may not make the same mistakes as bush, but he may make just as many. Inexperienced people make mistakes.

Posted by: Thumb | August 28, 2008 12:45 PM

Son of privilege John McCain is out of touch with the working man and knows nothing about the economy. This is the video to watch to see the Real McCain.

Posted by: Nah Nope | August 28, 2008 12:34 PM

Posted by: JakeD | August 28, 2008 12:33 PM

hopefully mccain won't be speaking off a teleprompter, or notes, or... well, are we sure making a direct comparison on speaking is what mccain wants to do?

also, this "historic ad" only encourages undecided voters to watch obama's "historic speech."

mccain may surprise and impress, but so far, i dislike hearing him give a speech as much as i dislike the policies he's talking about.

Posted by: against the DLC | August 28, 2008 12:30 PM

GO MCCAIN ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE!!!

Posted by: JakeD | August 28, 2008 12:27 PM