Advance Excerpts: Obama's Speech

The Obama campaign has released advance excerpts of his remarks, "The Promise of America," set for delivery later tonight. He is expected to say:

"Four years ago, I stood before you and told you my story - of the brief union between a young man from Kenya and a young woman from Kansas who weren't well-off or well-known, but shared a belief that in America, their son could achieve whatever he put his mind to.

"It is that promise that has always set this country apart - that through hard work and sacrifice, each of us can pursue our individual dreams but still come together as one American family, to ensure that the next generation can pursue their dreams as well.

"It is why I stand here tonight. Because for two hundred and thirty two years, at each moment when that promise was in jeopardy, ordinary men and women - students and soldiers, farmers and teachers, nurses and janitors -- found the courage to keep it alive.

"We meet at one of those defining moments - a moment when our nation is at war, our economy is in turmoil, and the American promise has been threatened once more.

"Tonight, more Americans are out of work and more are working harder for less. More of you have lost your homes and more are watching your home values plummet. More of you have cars you can't afford to drive, credit card bills you can't afford to pay and tuition that is beyond your reach

"These challenges are not all of government's making. But the failure to respond is a direct result of a broken politics in Washington and the failed presidency of George W. Bush.

"America, we are better than these last eight years. We are a better country than this."

***

"This moment - this election - is our chance to keep, in the 21st century, the American promise alive. Because next week, in Minnesota, the same party that brought you two terms of George Bush and Dick Cheney will ask this country for a third. And we are here because we love this country too much to let the next four years look just like the last eight. On November 4th, we must stand up and say: "Eight is enough."

"Now let there be no doubt. The Republican nominee, John McCain, has worn the uniform of our country with bravery and distinction, and for that we owe him our gratitude and respect. And next week, we'll also hear about those occasions when he's broken with his party as evidence that he can deliver the change that we need.

"But the record's clear: John McCain has voted with George Bush ninety percent of the time. Senator McCain likes to talk about judgment, but really, what does it say about your judgment when you think George Bush was right more than ninety percent of the time? I don't know about you, but I'm not ready to take a ten percent chance on change."

***
"You see, we Democrats have a very different measure of what constitutes progress in this country.

"We measure progress by how many people can find a job that pays the mortgage; whether you can put away a little extra money at the end of each month so that you can someday watch your child receive her diploma. We measure progress in the 23 million new jobs that were created when Bill Clinton was President - when the average American family saw its income go up $7,500 instead of down $2,000 like it has under George Bush.

"We measure the strength of our economy not by the number of billionaires we have or the profits of the Fortune 500, but by whether someone with a good idea can take a risk and start a business, or whether the waitress who lives on tips can take a day off to look after a sick kid without losing her job - an economy that honors the dignity of work.

"The fundamentals we use to measure economic strength are whether we are living up to that fundamental promise that has made this country great - a promise that is the only reason I am standing here tonight."

***

"That's the promise we need to keep. That's the change we need right now. So let me spell out exactly what that change would mean if I am President.
"Change means a tax code that doesn't reward the lobbyists who wrote it, but the American workers and small businesses who deserve it.

"Unlike John McCain, I will stop giving tax breaks to corporations that ship our jobs overseas, and I will start giving them to companies that create good jobs right here in America.

"I will eliminate capital gains taxes for the small businesses and the start-ups that will create the high-wage, high-tech jobs of tomorrow.

"I will cut taxes - cut taxes - for 95% of all working families. Because in an economy like this, the last thing we should do is raise taxes on the middle-class.

"And for the sake of our economy, our security, and the future of our planet, I will set a clear goal as President: in ten years, we will finally end our dependence on oil from the Middle East.

"Washington has been talking about our oil addiction for the last thirty years, and John McCain has been there for twenty-six of them. In that time, he's said no to higher fuel-efficiency standards for cars, no to investments in renewable energy, no to renewable fuels. And today, we import triple the amount of oil as the day that Senator McCain took office.

"Now is the time to end this addiction, and to understand that drilling is a stop-gap measure, not a long-term solution. Not even close.

"As President, I will tap our natural gas reserves, invest in clean coal technology, and find ways to safely harness nuclear power. I'll help our auto companies re-tool, so that the fuel-efficient cars of the future are built right here in America. I'll make it easier for the American people to afford these new cars. And I'll invest $150 billion over the next decade in affordable, renewable sources of energy - wind power and solar power and the next generation of biofuels; an investment that will lead to new industries and five million new jobs that pay well and can't ever be outsourced."

***

"We are the party of Roosevelt. We are the party of Kennedy. So don't tell me that Democrats won't defend this country. Don't tell me that Democrats won't keep us safe. The Bush-McCain foreign policy has squandered the legacy that generations of Americans -- Democrats and Republicans - have built, and we are to restore that legacy.

"As Commander-in-Chief, I will never hesitate to defend this nation, but I will only send our troops into harm's way with a clear mission and a sacred commitment to give them the equipment they need in battle and the care and benefits they deserve when they come home.

"I will end this war in Iraq responsibly, and finish the fight against al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan. I will rebuild our military to meet future conflicts. But I will also renew the tough, direct diplomacy that can prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons. I will build new partnerships to defeat the threats of the 21st century: terrorism and nuclear proliferation; poverty and genocide; climate change and disease. And I will restore our moral standing so that America is once more the last, best hope for all who are called to the cause of freedom, who long for lives of peace, and who yearn for a better future."

By Web Politics Editor  |  August 28, 2008; 6:56 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama , Conventions , Democratic Party , Primary Source
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Democrats Becoming Obama's Party
Next: Kilpatrick Poses Quandary for Obama in Mich.

Comments

"McCain will not follow bin Laden to the cave he lives in"?

LIAR.

Posted by: JakeD | August 28, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

The Promise of America?

Obama, Is that G D America? The one you seemed to HATE for 20 YEARS. The one you took your children to LEARN TO HATE, too? The one your wife says is mean?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

The Little Red Hen Story

A true Fairy Tale!!!
The Little Red Hen called all of her Democrat neighbors together and said,
'If we plant this wheat, we shall have bread to eat. Who will help me plant
it?'
'Not I,' said the cow.
'Not I,' said the duck.
'Not I,' said the pig.
'Not I,' said the goose.
'Then I will do it by myself,' said the little red hen, and so she did. The
wheat grew very tall and ripened into golden grain.
'Who will help me reap my wheat?' asked the little red hen.
'Not I,' said the duck..
'Out of my classification,' said the pig.
'I'd lose my seniority,' said the cow.
'I'd lose my unemployment compensation,' said the goose.
'Then I will do it by myself,' said the little red hen, and so she did.
At last it came time to bake the bread.
'Who will help me bake the bread?' asked the little red hen.
'That would be overtime for me,' said the cow.
'I'd lose my welfare benefits,' said the duck.
'I'm a dropout and never learned how,' said the pig.
'If I'm to be the only helper, that's discrimination,' said the goose.
'Then I will do it by myself,' said the little red hen.
She baked five loaves and held them up for all of her neighbors to see. They
wanted some and, in fact, demanded a share. But the little red hen said,
'No, I shall eat all five loaves.'
'Excess profits!' cried the cow. (Nancy Pelosi)
'Capitalist leech!' screamed the duck. (Barbara Boxer)
'I demand equal rights!' yelled the goose. (Jesse Jackson)
The pig just grunted in disdain. (Ted Kennedy)
And they all painted 'Unfair!' picket signs and marched around and around
the little red hen, shouting obscenities.
Then the farmer (Obama) came. He said to the little red hen, 'You must not
be so greedy.'
'But I earned the bread,' said the little red hen.
'Exactly,' said Barack the farmer. 'That is what makes our free enterprise
system so wonderful. Anyone in the barnyard can earn as much as he wants.
But under our modern government regulations, the productive workers must
divide the fruits of their labor with those who are lazy and idle.'
And they all lived happily ever after, including the little red hen, who
smiled and clucked, 'I am grateful, for now I truly understand.'
But her neighbors became quite disappointed in her. She never again baked
bread because she joined the 'party' and got her bread free. And all the
Democrats smiled. 'Fairness' had been established.
Individual initiative had died, but nobody noticed; perhaps no one
cared...so long as there was free bread that 'the rich' were paying for.
EPILOGUE
Bill Clinton is getting $12 million for his memoirs.
Hillary got $8 million for hers.
That's $20 million for the memories from two people, who for eight years,
repeatedly testified, under oath, that they couldn't remember anything.
IS THIS A GREAT BARNYARD OR WHAT?

Posted by: caroltate2 | August 28, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

PS: Joe Biden as head of the Foreign Relations Committee in the House was the one who snuck the Global Poverty Tax through the House........I guess being VP of the US was his price for turning the U.S. over to the UN, lock, stock & barrel~
McCain '08 for a FREE U.S.A.

Posted by: caroltate2 | August 28, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

What the media is NOT telling you is that Barack Hussein Obama does, in fact, have a legislative record in the Senate and one of his proudest accomplishments is The Global Poverty Act (S. 2433).

"[T]he legislation, if approved, dedicates 0.7 percent of the U.S. gross national product to foreign aid, which... would amount to $845 billion 'over and above what the U.S. already spends.'""The plan passed the House in 2007 'because most members didn't realize what was in it.' Congressional sponsors have been careful not to calculate the amount of foreign aid spending that it would require."

"Obama's costly, dangerous and altogether bad bill (S. 2433)... would commit U.S. taxpayers to spend 0.7 percent of our Gross Domestic Product on foreign handouts..."

"The Global Poverty Act would be a giant step toward the [United Nation's] Millennium Goals of global governance and international taxes on Americans."

Specifically, Barack Hussein Obama's Global Poverty Act would require that the President: "acting through the Secretary of State, and in consultation with the heads of other appropriate departments and agencies of the United States Government, international organizations, international financial institutions, the governments of developing and developed countries, United States and international nongovernmental organizations, civil society organizations, and other appropriate entities, shall develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to further... the reduction of global poverty, the elimination of extreme global poverty, and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goal."And just who are these "international organizations" and "international nongovernmental organizations" and "other appropriate entities?"You guessed it! He's talking about the United Nations!And just what, pray tell, is the "Millennium Development Goal?"Cliff Kincaid again:"The bill defines the term 'Millennium Development Goals' as the goals set out in the United Nations Millennium Declaration...""In addition to seeking to eradicate poverty, that declaration commits nations to banning 'small arms and light weapons' and ratifying a series of treaties, including the International Criminal Court Treaty, the Kyoto Protocol (global warming treaty), the Convention on Biological Diversity, the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women, and the Convention on the Rights of the Child."

"Those U.N. protocols would make U.S. law on issues ranging from the 2nd Amendment to energy usage and parental rights all subservient to United Nations whims."

a "currency transfer tax;" a "tax on the rental value of land and natural resources"; a "royalty on worldwide fossil energy projection -- oil, natural gas, coal;""fees for the commercial use of the oceans, fees for airplane use of the skies, fees for use of the electromagnetic spectrum, fees on foreign exchange transactions, and a tax on the carbon content of fuels." a "standing peace force;" a "UN arms register of all small arms and light weapons," " peace education... at all levels from preschool through university;" the "eradication of poverty" through the "redistribution [of] wealth and land," cancellation of "the debts of developing countries," and "a fair distribution of the earth's resources."********The UN is run by the Russians & Islamic Nations.....peacekeeping force (remember Georgia) do you want Russian & Islamic peacekeeping forces in your town? THINK PEOPLE, CALL YOUR SENATOR(S) TELL THEM TO VOTE NO ON turning over the U.S. sovereignty to the UN..........READ IT YOURSELF...this is what bama & his democrats have in plan for our country, this is what bama is all about!!!! McCain'08 at least we will still be a FREE country........

Posted by: caroltate2 | August 28, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous:

If ONE person voted 179,000 times, do you also believe that would be a statistically valid sample?

Posted by: JakeD | August 28, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Here's BHO's new team of advisors:

Posted by: 24AheadDotCom | August 28, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

He would say what any pacificist minister would say. He would also say it would not be realistic for a person with his own views to lead a country. Hitler was not defeated by pacificist. MLK was not a fool but I am afraid you may be.

-----------
Of course I will watch! I want to the emotional responses of the people, the tears, Etc. I want to watch American fanaticism in action. What would Martin Luther King say? I wonder about that, how would he feel about the people who marched with him to make this moment possib;e for Obama being pushed aside, and thrown off the ship? What would say about the Obama's pledge to continue the war machine, in Pakistan, in Iran and everywhere else who does not say or do what America and Israel wants them to do. What would Martin Luther King say about tha apathy towards the suffering of the Palestinian children. I am not sure he would that proud!

Posted by: Shirley | August 28, 2008 8:09 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I know in your little pea brain you thought you were posting something negative because of the 53%. But a sampling of 179000 would be pretty accurate. In fact since each of those people are probably not watching by themselves and may represent a household, It may very well be the highest view-ship ever possibly more the the Mash final episode. Like it or not this is an historic event and people will be watching. Sorry you goofed, you said something nice about Obama pointing out the fact of how many will be watching.

--------

Sorry, but that "is not a scientific poll" (high probability of error with Internet polling since MyObama.com could be voting hundreds of times each). My point was that I don;t have to watch the speech now either ; )
Posted by: JakeD | August 28, 2008 7:42 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ohio Blue Collar Dad - your pointy hood is showing.

Posted by: Not a Racist | August 28, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

""I want to watch American fanaticism in action.""

Right, kind of like the Republicans at the 2004 convention---all wearing red, all chanting in unison flip flop, flip flop while moving their hands back and forth.

Creepy, sort of like the Stepford Wives.

Posted by: delantero | August 28, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Shirley | August 28, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

The repubs are out in an attempt to deminish, downplay, and otherwise put down anything positive with the Dems. Too funny...

Not to worry... this to shall pass.

Posted by: Funny | August 28, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

This is exactly what the country needs to hear.
It has everything about Obamas plans and goals for America.

I hope the press focus on this content and reality instead of just retreading partisan comments just to make a story.

No one can call this speech as written, "generic"

Posted by: paul | August 28, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Obama reminded us. He's not black, he's half-black.

That visual of a young white girl from Kansas rebelling against her conservative parents by having a fling with a black African man. When those Hillary voters across the heartland think about that white girl under a black man that produced Obama...that really ought to bring them around....

Obama '08
Not black, Half-Black

Posted by: Ohio Blue Collar Dad | August 28, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | August 28, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Do you know what those numbers mean? That is a much bigger sampling then nielsen takes so it is probably pretty accurate. It will give it a 67 share putting it at number 5 as the most watched broadcast in the US ever. That is really something almost 1 in 2 will be watching.

----------------
Thanks for excerpts -- no need to watch how ; )

CNN Quick Vote:

Do you plan on watching Sen. Barack Obama's convention speech tonight?

Yes 48% 85494
No 52% 94107

Total Votes: 179601
Posted by: JakeD | August 28, 2008 7:05 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

It is so easy for people to stand on the sidelines and criticize.

I walk on a side walk past a fenced in yard. A dog barks at me. Is he barking to keep me away from the house or is he asking me to open the gate and let him out into freedom?

This is what I ponder as I walk on by!!!

Bye!

Posted by: Sideline Critic Swipers | August 28, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Tell me something. Was the 45th anniversery of MLKs´speech the egg? Was the time for the Democratic convention decided before super Tuesday? Was Barack Obama appointed the nominee in advance by Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi and some other girls and guys within the Democratic party? Is the speech today intended to announce the birth of the new bird - the first AfricaAmerican nominee? The predicted symbolic consequence of an unfair nomination?

Posted by: Elisabeth3 | August 28, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

That's right, Barack APOLLO Obama, there is no promise left in America today!!! I mean, not even (half) African-Americans can be nominated for President of the United States. And, certainly, no one with a good idea can take a risk today in America and start a business -- in fact, I think there have been ZERO IPOs since Bush took office -- and no waitresses can take a day off to look after their sick kids without losing their job. You are so "right" about the fundamentals we use to measure economic strength and growth NOT being 3.2% last quarter. You are truly THE ONE we've been waiting for!!!

Thank you, master, may I have another?

Posted by: JakeD | August 28, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for excerpts -- no need to watch how ; )

CNN Quick Vote:

Do you plan on watching Sen. Barack Obama's convention speech tonight?

Yes 48% 85494