And Waiting...

By Anne E. Kornblut
CHICAGO -- Sen. Barack Obama, having chosen his running mate, is still torturing almost everyone else.

"Most of the higher level people in the campaign still don't know," former senator Tom Daschle, a close Obama confidant, said on Friday morning. And top advisers are mum about the timing, though it is believed an announcement will happen on Saturday, if news of the choice does not leak before then.

In the meantime, the campaign has adopted a "vice president? what vice president?" attitude, sending out e-mails about health care, weekend events across the country and the recent gaffe Sen. John McCain made about the number of houses he owns.

And Obama, trailed by the protective pool of reporters that follows him everywhere, went to the gym. He worked out for about half an hour, then went to see a friend, Mike Signator (not, as far as we know, on the short list). He skipped his weekly habit of getting a haircut, simply going back home.

On CBS' Early Show, Obama said this about his pick: "Obviously, the most important question is: Is this person prepared to be president? Second most important question, from my perspective, is: Can this person help me govern? Are they going to be an effective partner in creating the kind of economic opportunity here at home and guiding us through some dangerous waters internationally? And the third criteria for me, I think, was independence. I want somebody who is going to be able to challenge my thinking and not simply be a yes-person when it comes to policymaking."

Asked directly by interviewer Harry Smith who it is, Obama replied: "That's a good shot, but I'm pretty disciplined on this."

By Web Politics Editor  |  August 22, 2008; 1:03 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Waiting for Obama
Next: For McCain, a Cappuccino Run with the Entourage

Comments

Everyone else:

Please see my first post re: Mr. Bankruptcy Bill.

Posted by: JakeD | August 23, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Anonymous:

I am glad this election will be on Obama's inexperience -- even Joe Biden cannot help with that -- at least all the jokes about McCain's age will stop ; )

Posted by: JakeD | August 23, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

David that was a very sensitive and thoughtful remark. Thanks for sharing.

"I remember I asked old Childs if he thought Judas, the one that betrayed Jesus and all, went to Hell after he committed suicide. Childs said certainly. That's exactly where I disagreed with him. I said I'd bet a thousand bucks that Jesus never sent old Judas to Hell. I still would, too, if I had a thousand bucks. I think any one of the Disciples would've sent him to Hell and all — and fast, too — but I'll bet anything Jesus didn't do it."

Posted by: Holden Caulfield | August 22, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Obama gets his hair cut once a week? Couldn't Michele just run some clippers over his noggin? I mean does he really need to go to the the barbershop every week for that 'do? Then again, it's at this very salon that Obama gets to put his finger on the pulse of Black America. I bet Obama doesn't even call for an appointment - he just dashes in and does a "running man". Probably writes a check, knowing that Ice Cube will never cash the check. You know, cuz it's historically significant.

Posted by: David | August 22, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

By the way, what are you talkiing about right now, not Mccain.

----------
Obama himself has been talking about his choice when he said he would not until he announced the name. Idiot.

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 9:19 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Obama is so good at this it is a joke. Like I said he is playing you. He pushes Mccains buttons and they respond predictability. Then they get hit with a counter punch. Obama is in control of everything, even Mccain. He can manipulate Mccain like a puppet and Mccain is so dense and bites every time. Now he has the media in his pocket following his every move with the VP thing. It is like a Batman opening. He is so in tune with our culture Mccain is little more the a dinosaur. When Obama said to his people last week "I will win, John Mccain has no idea what he is up against" he wasn't boasting. I am sure they have a plan that will smash Mccain once and for all and it revolves around Mccains mental capacity and ability to do the job. You can sense it as time goes by. Mccain is being set up.

----------

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 9:19 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

You are way behind in todays news, they got punked. It is not even the correct graphics. It was a joke.

------------
pop a smoke:

Well, was Obama back then or is he lying now? Perhaps you missed www.drudgereport.com? Supposedly, the printing company is a legitimate one that the Obama FEC reports for previous work. So much for that "secret" ; )

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 7:47 PM

Posted by: pop a smoke | August 22, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

pop a smoke:

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Obama is playing us all like a harp and doing a great job of it. He is showing he is the one in control. He has a campaign who are loyal and can keep their mouthes shut. A rare thing in these days of everything leaking like a sieve. It is a good indicator of who is in charge in his campaign.

I also found it interesting when Mccain was asked repeatedly about his running mate and he kept referring to "He would be making a nomination". Almost as if to say, "They have told me yet who I am picking".

------------
"Obviously, the most important question is: Is this person ready to be president?" Obama told "The Early Show" on CBS this morning. Second, he said, was: "Can this person help me govern? Are they going to be an effective partner in creating the kind of economic opportunity here at home and guiding us through some dangerous waters internationally?"

And, he added: "I want somebody who is going to be able to challenge my thinking and not simply be a 'yes person' when it comes to policymaking."

WHAT HAPPENED TO "The next time I talk about VP will be to announce the name?"

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 2:17 PM

Posted by: pop a smoke | August 22, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Bayh will be a great american VP.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but 3-term Senator Evan Bayh (D-IN) is actually well-qualified to be President (too bad he's not on the top of the ticket ; )

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Drudge is reporting it's Obama-Bayh FWIW : )

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough, Jake- you gotta vote your conscience.

Posted by: Corruption Anon | August 22, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Obama is gonna choose billionaire NYC mayor Bloomberg because that is his instruction from the oligarghy (international bankers and financiers) controlling the elections. Obama is their puppet. Bloomberg will privatize the US government to profit big time $$$ as planned because their wealth is going down with bad economy and currency. Bloomberg will privatize US programs, infrastructure and jobs and forsake President FDR's policies that benefits 80% of the forgotten people and Constitution.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Has McCain's staff been able to add up all of McCain's houses yet, or do they need to call in some math experts?

Is he talking about his butler/maid staff or his low road express staff? Seems like at least one of them could add!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Al Gore is flying new "Green" plane to Denver right now.

This new plane runs on GOP hot air - so it will be a quick flight (and getting quicker!).

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Corruption Anon:

I don't think "so little" of the people in this fine country of ours -- I think they are finally going to see right through this empty suit -- BTW: I am registered Independent, not Republican. I oppose Obama because he's pro-choice, not because he's black. I would vote for Alan Keyes in a heartbeat.

Anonymous:

You keep telling yourself that ...

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Jake,

Do you really think so little of the people in this fine country of ours? :-)

It is quite ironic that Republicans who have been denying the reality of racism for the past 40 years but are now glorifying in, and magnifying, it!

Anyhow, Bradley ran in '82- most of us have come a long way since then!

Posted by: Corruption Anon | August 22, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

JakeD - the reason why he's not revealing his VP choice today is because they want to let the McCain house thing get played up as much as possible. Announcing the VP today would minimize the effect of that.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

how on earth can it happen on saturday without you guys figuring it out RATHER easily when Biden or Kaine or Sebelius or Bayh or whoEVER drives up to the nearest airport with their spouses or even entire families and says, Springfield, IL please?!

Posted by: along | August 22, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Corruption Anon:

See "Bradley Effect, The" ; )

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Ever notice how local state polls don't seem to jive with the Republican pollsters? Take Minnesota, for example. Rasmussen had Obama up by 4, the locals, with a larger sample size, have Obama up by 10.

Jake, your boy is going down. :-)

Posted by: Corruption Anon | August 22, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

WHAT HAPPENED TO "The next time I talk about VP will be to announce the name?"

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Obama has a 7pt lead in Michigan, while the national polls have been 1-3pts. Very interesting.

Posted by: Corruption Anon | August 22, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

acarponzo:

I don't understand. Obama is "ahead" in getting BOPPED by McCain voters?

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Given that HRC was never vetted, if BO is going with her as VP then the conversation must have gone something like this:

HRC: You need me as VP. I understand how this thing works- the Republicans will eat you alive.

BO: You'll need to be vetted first, you and your husband.

HRC: Listen buddy, my husband and I were running the free world while you were still organizing a neighborhood in Chicago. We're beyond vetting.

BO: OK...

HRC: Obama it is in everybody's best interest for us to be on the ticket.

BO: This is a difficult decision

HRC: Do you want to be President or not? It's not really that tough. And don't scrw with me.

Posted by: Corruption Anon | August 22, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Not Biden. That would be the same old same old. With all this high tech suspense the campaign is generating with texting and all, he better mention that Team Obama isn't getting enough Democrats in cyberspace over to http://www.bop-o-rama.com. While the McCain boppers are picking up, Obama still ahs 200,000 more than McCain.

Posted by: acarponzo | August 22, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I hope so, Brian ...

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

its Hillary Clinton

Posted by: Brian | August 22, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Ijust came back from lunch,I listen to
the drug addict,Rush Limpball,Man this guy
have A hate for Black people,that is unbearable to me,who is this Mr.Sturly,
is he afro-america? is he A super Tom
like on the Justice Thomas level? I hope that Obama, picks a fighter, for his running mate, the last thing our party
need is another coward,who continue
takeing this crap,from,Homo Hannity & little boy predator Rush, now it's time to fight back with conviction,NO FEAR,QUEERS!

CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN!
p.s WERE IS RUSH HQ.& HANNITY TOO NY CITY.

Posted by: HORNY FOR HANNITY | August 22, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Good, I'm glad we can agree that Barack Hussein Obama is no Ronald Wilson Reagan.

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, there's no way Obama would have circumvented congress and sent weapons to the theocrats in Iran, then given that money to crack cocaine dealers in Latin America. Was Bonanno still in Arizona at that time?

Don Zaluchi: I also don't believe in drugs. For years I paid my people extra so they wouldn't do that kind of business. Somebody comes to them and says, "I have powders; if you put up three, four thousand dollar investment, we can make fifty thousand distributing." So they can't resist. I want to control it as a business, to keep it respectable.
[slams his hand on the table and shouts]

Don Zaluchi: I don't want it near schools! I don't want it sold to children! That's an infamia. In my city, we would keep the traffic in the dark people, the coloreds. They're animals anyway, so let them lose their souls.

Posted by: Corruption Anon | August 22, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

gee, obama .. how childish..you know but won't tell til you get your cookies and milk.

dam immature arse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I guess Plouffe was serious when he said that the texters would get the news first. No leaks or anything. Made me sign up...

Posted by: matt | August 22, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I knew Ronald Reagan, I served with Ronald Reagan. Barack Hussein Obama is no Ronald Wilson Reagan.

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

How many houses does he have?
How many wives?
How is his health?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Reagan, a newbie to DC, went with Bush; Obama will go with Biden.

He's either holding off the announcement to let McCain twist in the wind longer on his housing stupidity or he's testing his team to see if they can keep a secret. Or both.

Posted by: Corruption Anon | August 22, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Biden is a genius compared to McCain!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

My (and David Brooks / Andrea Mitchell's) guess is still Joe Biden, Mr. Credit Card himself, who made BK that much harder for the average working man. There's lots of opposition research on him already: he's anything BUT honest, David.

In September 1987, his Presidential campaign ran into serious trouble when he was accused of plagiarizing a speech by Neil Kinnock, then-leader of the British Labour Party. Though Biden had correctly credited the original author in all speeches but one, the one where he failed to make mention of the originator was, of course, the one caught on video.

Within days, it was also discovered that, while at Syracuse Law School, Biden had plagiarized a law review article. Biden said the act was inadvertent due to his not knowing the proper rules of citation, and Biden was permitted to retake the course after receiving a grade of F in the course.

Biden also released at the same time the record of his grades as an undergraduate which were C's and D's with the exception of two A's in physical education, one B in a course on English writers and an F in ROTC during his first three semesters. His grades improved later in his undergraduate career but were not exceptional. Further, when questioned by a New Hampshire resident about his grades in law school Biden had claimed falsely to have graduated in the "top half" of his class, (when he actually graduated 76th in a class of 85 -- forget all those jokes about McCain at the bottom of his Naval Academy class) that he had attended on a full scholarship, and had received three degrees. In fact he had received a single B.A. in history and political science and had not received a full scholarship.

Faced with these revelations, Biden withdrew from the nomination race on September 23, 1987, saying his candidacy had been overrun by "the exaggerated shadow" of his mistakes. After Biden withdrew from the race it was learned that the Dukakis campaign had secretly made a video showcasing the Biden/Kinnock comparison and distributed it to news outlets. Dukakis fired John Sasso, his campaign manager and long-time Chief of Staff.

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse