Christian PAC Ad Emphasizes Obama's Faith and Family

By Ed O'Keefe
Television viewers tuning in to Saturday's Saddleback Civil Forum might see a new TV ad from the Matthew 25 Network, a pro-Obama Christian political action committee, which is set to air during the forum.

"Families" stars a cross-section of Christian leaders and academics: Brian McLaren, a leader of the Emergent Church movement, Kirbyjon Caldwell, the Houston-based Methodist pastor who officiated Jenna Bush's wedding, his wife Suzette and Lisa Cahill, a Catholic theologian at Boston College.

"As a pastor, I know that you can learn about a man's character based on how he treats his family," McLaren says. "Barack is a strong man of Christian faith who's been married to his wife for 16 years," Caldwell adds.

The Matthew 25 Network hopes to mobilize Catholics, Evangelicals and other Christians "for a new Christian witness in politics," the group says.

"The Republican Party has had it pretty easy the past few years, because they've been able to take a position on a few issues -- abortion, gay marriage, to some degree stem cell research -- and be assured of religious support," McLaren told reporters on a conference call this morning. But the Christian community's priorities have shifted in the past few years, McLaren said, to concerns about poverty and the environment, among others.

The group's name reflects this shift in emphasis: it comes from the Bible's Gospel of Matthew (Matthew 25:40), "I tell you the truth, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me."

"I hope that what we'll see happen is that the faith and dialogue about faith in public life will deepen and mature rather than be focused on just a few wedge issues," McLaren said.

Caldwell emphasized Obama's religious faith, as well as his values. "Since the senator is a Christian, I think it's important for the voting population to understand his virtues and his values," Caldwell told reporters, calling him "an outstanding, fabulous family man. I don't know why that's not touted more."

The group cannot coordinate any of its advertising or mobilization efforts with the Obama campaign, but any promotion of the candidate's Christian faith and perceived Christian actions aired during a televised forum hosted by a prominent Christian leader can't hurt. Obama has been dogged by persistent and false rumors about his religious background.

By Web Politics Editor  |  August 15, 2008; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  Channel 08
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Candidates Face Three Critical Weeks
Next: Candidates Saddle up for Saddleback

Comments

What a joke. Tell that to all the aborted children who were killed because of that precious choice Osama supports. He even voted for minors to cross state lines to get abortions without their parents' knowledge. The least of these?? Give me a break. Give the Bible another read and stop using it to promote barbarism.

Posted by: jay | August 19, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Re: the Religous Forum w/ Rev. Warren:

Every answer from McCain was a stump speech that went on and on. Obama answered questions humbly, intellectually, and honestly. McCain answered in sound bites and prisoner of war stories. good God man that was 40 years ago. How does that make you presidential now?? His whole career is based on being captured in a war the US lost.

I do admit McCain did better because he did answer the way he did. Obams tried to think about all sides of the issue and to explain how he arrived at decisions. Americans don't want to hear that, I'm afraid. McCain answered dishonestly. I don't mean he lied, but he still wasn't honest. His answer on evil for instance, or his answer on what Americans should die for...his answers were short feel-good rah rah emotional answers. Those questions couldn't be answered yes or no honestly. Its one thing to promise a chicken in every pot, but just how are you going to do it. McCain was a politician, not a leader.

Posted by: Liadan | August 16, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Keep highlighting your faith Obama - good job! Tell us more about your theology which states that whites and Jews are the enemies that must be destroyed... Tell us about how you reject all gods that do not help you to destroy whites... Tell us more about James Cone the founder of black liberation theology and all of the above tenets that he writes about in his books... Take us back to your church for some MORE lovely lessons in vile hatred for our country and hatred for white people and for Jews. Remind us again that your pastor/spiritual mentor/uncle figure told you and all of his followers to sing God D@mn America! SHow us more footage of Father Phleger and Rev. Moss and Wright spitting racism and hate for their cheering minions. Convince us that hatred for Jews is not only acceptable but HIP... that hatred for whites is DESERVED - and that hatred for our country is THE PATH TO CHANGE you racist communist!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Excellent! It's great to see Christian leaders standing up to affirm that faith and family values have more to do with how we live—as loving and faithful husbands and wives, parents, citizens, and human beings—than our position on one or two hot-button issues. As a registered independent and born-again Christian, I can hardly wait for November to cast my vote for Senator Obama. I urge Christians and Americans of all backgrounds and fath traditions to do the same. Obama is a far better choice than John McCain, whose lack of fitness for the presidency has become painfully clear. I hope we will reject the despicable smear campaign being conducted by McCain, the GOP, and their supporters. Let's not allow them to again exploit our prejudices and fears so that we reject the best candidate in this election, paving the way for McCain to stroll into the White House and extend the nightmare we know as the Bush administration.

Posted by: Jay | August 16, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful ad from my fellow brothers and sisters of The Faith, come to share support and acknowledgment in truth about Obama. Great ad! God bless you!!!

Posted by: Obama2008 | August 16, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

dragonfly777 produced an incredible post on August 15, 2008 at 6:22 PM. I mean that literally - it is not credible and I think this poster should change his post to "dragon lie"777 for future. You are clearly not dealing in the truth. Just thought I'd mention it....

Posted by: Paul Stewart | August 15, 2008 10:26 PM

Paul you are the lair and are in denial as most of the Obamazombies. I live right here 30 miles from where Mr. Wonderful is a senator...You need to come here and check the records! This guy is nothing but a Chicago Politician! Rezko, gave campaign money to both the Governor of Illinois and Obama. Rezko was give state, federal tax breaks, and money to rebuild 30 buildings for low income housing in Chicago..Those buildings where in Obama's district and are still not touched. The only reason Obama was not implicated more is because the Governor would have gone down too and his good old boys couldn't have that..

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

He may be loyal to his family...but his church of 20 years and him lying about his part is a travesty to anyone other than blacks. If he were white, he would have been branded a racist and a KKK member. He never would have been considered for a candidate at all.
His being black(he never claims his white side) is no excuse to exempt him from his acts!! He is a wolf in sheep's clothing!!
I don't want this creep representing my Christian heritage. He is not a Christan! He is a racist and a politician first you idiots!!

Posted by: dragonfly777 | August 16, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Why is it that black people do no seem to be able to understand that there are issues besides skin color. If a person is against Obama, then just by default that person is a bigot !!!!! I just do not want a silver tongued lawyer who believes in abortion. I don't give a damn what color he is.
“Look, I’ve got two daughters, nine years old and six years old,” Obama said. “I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don’t want them punished with a baby." Is Mr. Obama saying babies are punishment ?
Throughout his career, in both the Illinois Senate & the US Senate, Obama has stood up for a women's right to choose, consistently earning 100% ratings from pro-choice groups.
If that makes me a bigot for nor wanting him. So be it.

Posted by: old mo | August 15, 2008 5:36 PM

Saying that "black people do no seem to be able to understand that there are issues besides skin color" does make you a bigot.

Posted by: Vequor | August 15, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

ninak, your post was beautiful and moving. I have saved it on my pc.

Posted by: Judi listening | August 15, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

old mo, there's a whole trailor park nation of your kind, all taking handouts

Posted by: Judi watching | August 15, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Paul Stewart | August 15, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

The following was posted by: chicguy | August 15, 2008 6:54 PM

"He is my kind of Christian. With him at the helm, I am no longer ashamed to call myself a Christian."
The above comment is sad - are you really sad to call yourself a Christian?? And about BHO -- how in the hell do you know what he has or has not done? I hope he is a good family man, but I am not privy to all parts of his daily life nor want to be.."

I take it you are not a Christian. You certainly do not speak like one. And why do you presume something bad about Obama's family life? God bless you.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

McCain has no Faith in God or America.

Obama has both.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chicguy | August 15, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corruption Anon | August 15, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

So let me get this straight setting everything else aside but Obama's religious practices..He was a member of a black community (not mixed) church for over 20 years, that spews hate of government, of whites and Jews in particular, blames the government in trying to destroy blacks through AIDES, and yet Obama never in 20 years remembers any of this??? Oh, yes, lying is a good family value.

This guy is ruthless Chicago politician with dirty ties to campaign practices, funds and mismanagement of housing funds, that have still not surfaced.

Paint his anyway you like it, but the true is he is NO change, but more of the same. Anything else is a lie.

Posted by: dragonfly777 | August 15, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Senator Patrick Moynihan once said: "You're entitled to your own opinions, you're NOT entitled to your own facts." So let's separate fact from fiction. Fact, Senator Obama is a Christian. (His pastor spewed vitriol, but then so do many other Christian ministers.) He is NOT a muslim. He has NEVER been a muslim.

He is a committed married man who has never stepped out on his wife. He supports her in her endeavors and he supports his children in theirs.

He is not an inexperienced politician. He has over 20 years of organizing on the south side of Chicago, a school of hard knocks if ever there was one.

Posted by: nlbknitter | August 15, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Faith: "Our compassion for the living begins at conception. And there isn't anybody driving anybody away from God."

**************

I don't agree, Faith. Jesus attracted followers because he exuded the love that all of us need. The religious right exudes judgement, and that repels people.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Republican or Democrat, faith is not the issue here. Believe what you want to believe, just don't try to amend the Constitution to make everyone else conform to it. Separation of church and state exists for a reason.

Posted by: Let's be serious | August 15, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Better hope nobody yells "BOO" we will loose Obama. I heard he doesn't have the guts to say "sic em" to his own dog. But I don't believe this. I don't think he has yet found a dog that would hang around him.

Posted by: old mo | August 15, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

If that makes me a bigot for nor wanting him. So be it.

Posted by: old mo | August 15, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Ben, Our compassion for the living begins at conception. And there isn't anybody driving anybody away from God. The free will given by God lets you make that decision on your own. You cannot blame anybody else for the paths that your choices in your life have led you to.

Posted by: Faith | August 15, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Faith: "Wouldn't one of the least of these qualify as a child yet to be born? Isn't abortion killing one of the least of His brothers?"

**************

Nobody -- NOBODY -- likes abortion. The argument is about who owns a person's body. But apart from that, what many of us Christians have felt over the last eight years is that the religious right has dragged our faith through the mud, turning people away from God in droves. People do understand the passion you folks feel about abortion, but not to the degree that it leads you to rally behind a president who would also cause the needless deaths of tens of thousands of innocent Iraqis. We don't understand where your compassion for the living is.

Posted by: Ben | August 15, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap, these liberals don't have anything to do, do they ? Not surprising. Better hurry up people---the welfare office is closed tomorrow...

Posted by: old mo | August 15, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Tim: I'm a life long trea hugging, lefty leaning, communist, ultra-liberal democrat who is voting for McCain.

************

You're also a liar. You're a Hannity-loving, woman-hating, selfish, low-self-esteem, anti-American, ultraconservative, bitter white guy. Own it. You'd get more respect.

Posted by: Ben | August 15, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

HANNITY IS GAY, HELP HIM REDEEM HIMSELF
OH,LORD. THI8 MOVIES OF HIM COMING TO A YOU

TUBE NEAR YOU.

Posted by: HORNEY FOR HANNITY | August 15, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't one of the least of these qualify as a child yet to be born? Isn't abortion killing one of the least of His brothers? I don't know how anybody can claim to be a God fearing Christian and not only allow but, promote the blatant killing of the least of us on an average of hundreds of times a day right here in the United States. This is not only ignoring the fifth commandment but a slap in the face of God Himself. If you do not have an interest in saving the unborn, how can a person even begin to pretend to want to care about the lives already here?

Posted by: Faith | August 15, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

McCain has no Faith in God or America.

Obama has both.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 4:58 PM
********

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Barak Obama | August 15, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

McCain has no Faith in God or America.

Obama has both.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I dont need no stinking ad on the TV telling me about BaraKKKs Christianity and faith when he sat in a church for 20 years listening to the preaching of that pseudo-pastor of his.

ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAT WORDS.

SORRY BaraKKK ---> YOU LOST!

Posted by: Tim | August 15, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Joan

there name comes from :what you did to the least of my brothers, you did to me:, I guess except for any kind of abortion, even if the abortion was botch and the baby came out alive, just let it die

Posted by: Joe | August 15, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Robert: "Other than protection of the Nation, name one thing the government can do better than a free man or woman?"
------------------------------------------
1.Prosecute white-collar criminals.
2.Fund scientific discoveries.
3.Fund the development of the Internet
4.Bail out the financial system.
5.Collect your garbage.
6.Law enforcement.
7.Street Sweeping.
8.Gang crime prosecution.
9.Social Security.
10.Medicare
11.Fight Global Warming.
12.Invent new energy sources.
13.Maintain the Courts.

Your ignorance bores me now.

Posted by: JBE | August 15, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Thats God, in my last post type very fast sometimes.

Mccain doesn't believe in God and has alluded to it in his book. Hr never talks about praying when POW. Religion to Mccain is just a political tool, a prop, to roll out when he needs it.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 4:21 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Mccain doesn't believe in Dod and has alluded to it in his book. Hr never talks about praying when POW. Religion to Mccain is just a political tool, a prop, to roll out when he needs it.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Jerry Falwell claim that the USA deserved 9/11 or Hagee extolling the virtues of Hitler and blaming the people of New Orleans for bring Katrina down on their heads. Wright is definitely inflamatory but he doesnt hold a candle to the kind of hateful garbage coming out of right-wing white preachers and the GOP LOVES those guys.

Posted by: Marc | August 15, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Steve "Jesus said it to those who rejected him". Is Obama's claim of being Christian being accepted or rejected? by those who believe his is Muslim. When speaking of abuse of scripture or wrong done on behalf of the church how about the use of the Bible to justify enslaving a people. "BEWARE OF BABYLON, WHERE IS THE ONLY PLACE ON EARTH ONE CAN FIND HAMMURABBI'S CODE OF LAW"? Why is it ok for McCain to have ads ran as Obama being Moses or the "THE ONE". "ALL RELIGIOUS PEOPLE SHOULD NOW PRACTICE BEING RIGHTEOUS".

Posted by: first step | August 15, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Found on the Carpetbaggers Report....

"It was interesting, then, to see this report in the UK’s Daily Mail about Mrs. McCain — the first one — who is “seldom seen and rarely written about, despite being mother to McCain’s three eldest children.”

[H]ad events turned out differently, it would be she, rather than Cindy, who would be vying to be First Lady. She is McCain’s first wife, Carol, who was a famous beauty and a successful swimwear model when they married in 1965.

She was the woman McCain dreamed of during his long incarceration and torture in Vietnam’s infamous ‘Hanoi Hilton’ prison and the woman who faithfully stayed at home looking after the children and waiting anxiously for news.

But when McCain returned to America in 1973 to a fanfare of publicity and a handshake from Richard Nixon, he discovered his wife had been disfigured in a terrible car crash three years earlier…. When Carol was discharged from hospital after six months of life-saving surgery, the prognosis was bleak. In order to save her legs, surgeons had been forced to cut away huge sections of shattered bone, taking with it her tall, willowy figure. She was confined to a wheelchair and was forced to use a catheter.

Through sheer hard work, Carol learned to walk again. But when John McCain came home from Vietnam, she had gained a lot of weight and bore little resemblance to her old self.

“My marriage ended because John McCain didn’t want to be 40, he wanted to be 25,” she said. “You know that happens … it just does.”

It’s quite a painful story, involving physical difficulties, infidelity, and divorce. McCain’s first wife insists she’s not bitter, but clearly the circumstances surrounding her accident and the break-up of her family are an unpleasant subject.

Ross Perot, who paid for Carol’s medical care and introduced the McCains to Ronald and Nancy Reagan, said, “McCain is the classic opportunist. He’s always reaching for attention and glory.” Perot added, “After he came home, Carol walked with a limp. So he threw her over for a poster girl with big money from Arizona. And the rest is history.”

Ouch.

Now, I should clarify that as far as I’m concerned, McCain’s marital difficulties and adultery aren’t especially significant in this campaign, especially years later. I’m inclined to see a distinction made between public and private worlds. I defended Bill Clinton, and said his personal controversies had no bearing on his ability to be a good candidate and a good president, so I can’t very well turn around and say the opposite about McCain, no matter how badly he treated his first wife.

But therein lies the point: if Clinton’s personal history was a matter of tremendous national significance as a candidate and as a president, then it’s not unreasonable to wonder why McCain isn’t subjected to the same scrutiny. I’d prefer both issues are off the table, but I’m hard pressed to imagine why only Democratic presidential candidates’ personal lives are of interest in the context of a national campaign.

For that matter, if and when the U.S. media gives this any attention at all, it’ll be worth keeping an eye on the religious right. From my article two years ago:

Carrie Gordon Earll, a spokesperson for Dobson’s Focus on the Family, recently made it clear that the adultery issue hasn’t lost any of its toxicity among evangelicals. “If you have a politician, an elected official, and they can’t be trusted in their own marriage, how can I trust them with the budget? How can I trust them with national security?” she asked me. Although Earll was reluctant to discuss specific politicians, she noted that a candidate who “had an affair and then moved on and restored that marriage” might find forgiveness with Christian conservatives, but someone “who had an affair and then left his wife” would not.
====================================================================================
...McCain the typical BUSH 2 Crony politician

..."the candidate does not speak for the campaign..."

....if McCaint will be asked any questions...slimy Joe Liberman will be right at his side whispering the "right.." answers to him.......

Posted by: AlexP1 | August 15, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Are people here trying to fit logic into a religious debate? Ha! Good luck with that...

Posted by: JB | August 15, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Our opinion and the truth!
The video is great it speaks about the values of the family.
Who can question if an American is a Christian. We are sinners by birth, so if we judge another, the fruits/understanding of the spirit is not in us. Here is what Jesus said " John 14:12 .....the one who believes in me shall do greater works than these...”
But many are not believers, some are praying but not trusting God. Confusion is not truth. To talk negative about your presidential candidates without a word of prayer for the country we cannot lead is hypocrisy. Confusion is manifested by doubt and gossip is carried away by seducing spirits to people with itching ears.
Who will believe our report. ME dia?

Posted by: glenn | August 15, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Our opinion and the truth!
The video is great it speaks about the values of the family.
Who will believe our report. ME dia?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Build a freeway

Posted by: BB | August 15, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

That is all good and well, I am all for fighting poverty and injustice, but you don't do it by wealth re-distribution through the government. People create businesses and money, not government. Other than protection of the Nation, name one thing the government can do better than a free man or woman?

OK, now onto the ad. Barak Obama my very well be a better "Christian" than John McCain. But we are all sinners. That said, I am seriously concerned of the hatred and vitriol, that they called their home church for 20 years. That church was not about proclaiming peach with all men, it was divisive and racist. If you are a faithful attendee of a congregation, you cannot help but be impacted by the messages preached if you truly submit yourself to the authority of the Pastor. Yes Barak, has denounced his former Pastor, only because it was politically expedient. I guess all politicians do that, John Edwards, Bill Clinton and plenty of Republicans.

My point at the end of the day is Barak Obama is still a leftist Socialist who's idea's chip away at the foundation of American Culture.

Is America a good Country?? No, God is a Good God. Blessed in the Nation who's God is the LORD. When America embraces God's design and purpose, there is no nation greater. I am afraid, Barak will bring change, but due to his lack of experience it will be change for the worst

I do not hat Barak Obama, and I am certaily not thrilled with McCain as a choice either.

God Help us all

Posted by: Robert | August
--------------------------
Robert, you speak of God yet you, yourself a hypocrite. Calling names and saying Senator Obama has no experience and projecting socialism are YOUR beliefs and not the facts. Senator Obama is an outstanding person in all ways and will be a superb president for our country. Cynics and bigots are in abundance in our nation as proven by this year's election processes. People like Obama come once in a very long time and we should grasp the moment because it will be another 50 or 60 years before another person of his caliber will run for president. The cynics and bigots will NEVER change, they lead lives of their own that are filled with hate, resentment, bitterness, and ugliness and portray those negatives upon others to make themselved feel good and important.

God alone is the true judge of each of us and he knows Senator Obama is a good and decent person and has given him many, many gifts which many of us wish we had...eloquent in speech, able to bring people together, cool under intense pressure, knows how to run a superb campaign and superb fundraising. Surrounds himself with good and smart people, communicates well with ALL people, is a man of integrity, honesty, wisdom, vision, good character, outstanding family values (Versus Bill Clinton, John McCain, and John Edwards). The last few decades have brought ruin and immorality and huge egotism to our country, we need to return to the America we once had, one where people gave a damn about their neighbors and their families, one where people were kind and caring toward one another, one where people trusted and respected their leaders! Clinton and GWB have both done things that have garnered nationwide distrust and disrespect. McCain will not be respected either by foreign leaders nor by the majority of American citizens. If you are pleased with the last eight years of the teardown of America and the lack of trust and respect for our president, by all means vote for four more years of it. IF you want things to change for the better, then be an intelligent, smart voter and vote for Senator Obama.

Posted by: NinaK | August 15, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"I tell you the truth, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me." Taken out of context as ususal. Jesus is speaking to those who rejected him, not those who believed in him.

Posted by: Steve | August 15, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

God Help us all

Posted by: Robert | August 15, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Lets see John McCain cheats on first wife, and leaves her for gaining weight. Then cheats on second wife with a lobbyist. Now his campaign is being funded by a gay sex web site.

If you vote on "christian values" McCain is most def. not your guy

Posted by: Julian | August 15, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"Bruce,

Obama is no longer a member of that church. The same church that posted on their bulletin board messages from Hamas. The same church that Oprah had the common sense to leave years before Obama because she realized the many hateful things being said there. But of course, Obama never heard any of that... He is currently not a member of any church."

I'd rather have an atheist as president. At least they wouldn't have God telling them how to run things. (Or people that think they are the voice of God)

Posted by: Tim | August 15, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Sonny, the issue isn't as much if he has Islamic ties as it is about if he has Islamic ties and continually denies it. He denied knowing his pastor of 20 years was making racist speeches, then admitted that he did know about some of them. He denied plagarising Deval Patrick, then admitted he did so with Patrick's blessing. It's the continual reversals solely for votes that is the bigger issue. We need a president who will stand up to the bullies in Congress (i.e. Pelosi) and the world (i.e. Putin)

Posted by: CCS | August 15, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"Christian values? As a state senator, Obama voted PRESENT on a bill that would afford healthcare to babies born in abortions gone awry. Pro-choice isn't enough for Obama, it seems. He won't even let babies who have survived infanticide survive. "

I feel sorry for you. You are so easily fooled by the propaganda machines.

Did you know that Senators vote "present" on bills that they mostly agree with, but have side attachments that they do not like?

Example:

The X Bill will give free college to everyone. But side bills included in the policy would allow slavery.

Obviously some of the bill is good, and some of it is bad. Senators who vote "present" are saying that they like some of what is in the bill, but it needs to be edited better.

The "present" vote is not a vote against the bill, just a vote saying that it has things you like that are outweighed by things you do not like.

Stop thinking that these policies are black and white. THEY ARE ALL GREY.

Posted by: Tim | August 15, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Nice contrast to McCain who left his disabled wife for his rich drug addicted fem bot. I bet Buffallo Chip wouldn't have been the first time cindy stripped. Have to feed that habit.

Posted by: TexDem | August 15, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh, am I in the wrong country? I thought this was USA, where there's freedom of religion and separation of church and state. I don't remember reading anything that says one has to be a Christian to be the President. I'm a Christian but I'm ashamed of my brothers who whine and complain about a leader who might have Islamic ties - so what? This is USA, not some United States of Christianity.

Posted by: Sonny | August 15, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Bruce,

Posted by: B | August 15, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

AK who said, "So Obama's supporters put together an ad showing what a committed Christian Obama is. Okay.

How odd that there isn't a single image or mention of the church where he became a Christian or the pastor who married him and baptized his children.

Why, it's almost like they've got something to hide!
Funny, I didn't"

You are an idiot. Why the fact that he doesn't mention this stuff somehow proof that Obama is wrong?

By your logic, you must be a child rapist!

Why not? You never said in your comments that you were not a child rapist. Why, its almost like you have something to hide!

Maybe the people who made commercial could only afford a 30 second slot. There simply is not enough time to go over Obama's life. Why would you want to anyway, OBAMA AREADY WROTE A BOOK.

Go read the book if you have skeptism.

Posted by: Tim | August 15, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

When you read the words of Jesus, you know that he stood with the poor and not the rich. McCain's coddling of the rich (tax cuts for rich folks, subsidies for oil companies) does not reflect that basic Christian value. Jesus also said, "Blessed are the peacemakers." Republican militarism does not reflect that basic Christian value, either. Jesus forgave adulterers and so can we, so McCain's past is not the issue here. The issue is which candidate supports the Christian values taught by Jesus, as opposed to the values taught by Jim Dobson. I'm a Democrat, a Christian and a Bible-reader and I'm supporting Obama.

Posted by: Joan | August 15, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

It is a shame that Republicans have tried to create a diversion from their illicit relationships with Big Oil, Big Tobacco, Big War and Big Drugs by hiding behind perverted religious and racial smokescreens.

If the Republicans were truly people of the Word, then peace, prosperity, health care, education, energy independence and a clean environment would have been the agenda for the past 30 years.

They care about the dirty money that they and their friends are making by war, oil, drugs, tobacco, and all of the other sin rackets that they are running.

That they have endorsed a KKK-meets-Bob Jones style of religion is just wrong.

Posted by: Corruption Anon | August 15, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Not Christian | August 15, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Lets not compare the faith of either of these two men. Saying one is a better Christian than another is hardly fair considering nobody here knows either of them personally or what is in their hearts. To make false accusations about either of them purely for political gain is immoral. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

Posted by: Chris | August 15, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Obama's church is a serving church, doing the good work in their community outreach. It is also a little scary to white folks, because the pastor wore afro-clothes, not black robes.

McCain's church is pretty, clean and self-absorbed. He went on Easter.

Posted by: Bruce | August 15, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Is that a halo around that fool's head?
Give me a break!

Posted by: LuLu | August 15, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

McCain is a confessed adulterer.
More importantly, he provides evidence in the video of his interview on Letterman OCT 2001, that he provided false propaganda to lead the US to war against IRAQ.

That's a crime against the state, five years in the federal pen.

Also he is hiding his White House "source" of the lie that Iraq did the Anthrax WMD, which is a further offense, another 5 years in the pen.

Posted by: Bruce | August 15, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I am a Republican voting for Obama now. McCain has NO values that I respect. He cheated repeatedly on his first wife after she was disfigured in a horrible accident. Then he committed bigamy by lying on his AZ marriage application saying he wasn't married still. Then he left his family to marry his 24 year old mistress while leaving behind his crippled wife and 3 children. Cindy McSame knowing lured a married man away from his family, then became a drug addict and thief. Lucky for her she was caught and given a chance to be forced into treatment.

Posted by: MrBear | August 15, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I love this video because I think it shows the true values and priorities of Obama--and, it also effectively challenges so many of the negative images that McCain ads try to promote. Thank you for this!

Posted by: Carol Apacki | August 15, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Why, it's almost like they've got something to hide!
Funny, I didn't

Posted by: AK | August 15, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Gawd Bless Ameri-KKK-a!!!

Gawd Bless Bara-KKK!!!

Posted by: JakeD | August 15, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I never thought of this before, but now it is clear, Barack Obama is far more committed to his family and his christian faith than McCain. I dont think McCain could pull an ad off like this, not as long as he's fixated on Britney and Paris.

Posted by: James | August 15, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

If you are a member of Facebook, join the Matthew 25 group! This is far from the first thing they have done in this campaign, and are very much in line with Brian McLaren's Emergent Church movement and its focus on ending poverty, disease, and injustice. As a Christian, it makes me happy to see these issues finally breaking into the political debate, instead of the usual culture wars garbage.

Posted by: Toad | August 15, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm thrilled that this ad is running. It's about time someone makes the point that not only is Obama not a "secret Muslim" (whatever the heck that means), he's actually a much more dedicated Christian than John McCain has EVER been.

Posted by: BB | August 15, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

An important fact you failed to mention is how Obama's family life compares with McCain's who has had multiple affairs and left his first wife because she gained weight. How could anyone except the base to report anything negative about their Maverick?

Posted by: Julian | August 15, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse