Clinton, Michelle Obama Get 'Headline' Spots at Convention

By Robert Barnes
Sen. Barack Obama's campaign announced yesterday that his wife, Michelle, will be the star attraction on the opening night of the Democratic National Convention, Aug. 25 in Denver.

Following Michelle Obama, the "headline speakers" for the rest of the convention will be Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton on Tuesday, Obama's vice presidential choice on Wednesday, and Obama himself on Thursday, when the convention moves to Invesco Field at Mile High Stadium and Obama officially accepts the party's nomination before a crowd expected to reach 75,000.

Two of the dates will be rich with symbolism: Clinton, who came closer than any woman in history to winning a major party nomination for president, will speak on the 88th anniversary of women receiving the right to vote, and Obama will give his acceptance speech on the 45th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech.

The Obama camp had previously said that Hillary Clinton would speak on Tuesday night, although negotiations continue about whether her name will be placed in nomination. The New York Daily News reported that Clinton has raised the idea of being introduced by her daughter, Chelsea, which would make the convention truly a family affair. Former president Bill Clinton is scheduled to address the delegates on Wednesday night.

The Obama camp and the Democratic National Committee said additional details about the convention and speakers will be released this week.

Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, who is a co-chair of the convention, said in a news release that the convention will use "innovative techniques" to tell "the story of people from across the country who believe it is time for change."

By Post Editor  |  August 10, 2008; 4:58 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama , Hillary Rodham Clinton
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McCain Aide's Georgian Ties Become an Issue
Next: Obama Plans Novel VP Announcement TXT

Comments

I guess if you child was a murderer and a liar you would be proud of them irregardless of what wrongs they committed
I guess if you father abused you step mother you also would be proud of him, because he is you father. and she is not related

That’s American Values ,and i am Proud to be an American and to espouse these Values
God Bless America

Posted by: cuniverse | August 11, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

God Bless America
?

Posted by: cuniverse | August 11, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Michelle Obama will NEVER, IMO be a "star". She is nothing but a lot of wind, exactly like her husband. They are both so full of air, they should just keep their mouths shut. I do not want to hear a word from this woman. She hates the United States of America and has shown it over and over. We do not need someone like her talking at a convention. She will not be truthful, as we all know, but will put on the air that she knows it all.

Posted by: smaggie | August 11, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Considering Obama complained so profusely when any negative comments were voiced against Michelle, it is nothing short of extraordinary that she should be given star billing at the convention. What for? She's not a leading democrat. Her record is even thinner than her husband's! But it's all part of the careful stage craft for which Obama is beginning to be known. Keep Michelle away from the folks so she won't let slip how she hates the country, but put her in the spotlight to continue the Kennedyesque associations. But she's no Jacki Kennedy, Jacki never would have spoken at the DNC convention, and these are not the early 60s when the economy was strong and America liked a first lady in designer clothes.

Hopefully real democrats are not fooled by the continuing spectacle of the Obama race to be King.

Obama breaks all his promises. Even those made to his own father's town in Kenya. Go to www.google.co.uk and type in Barack Obama Kogelo.

Obama publicly promised financial assistance to the Kogelo, Kenya Middle School. 10 members of Obama's own family attend. It has 4 dilapidated classrooms, no running water, electricity or sanitation. It's name was changed to the Senator Obama Middle School. But he hasn't sent a dime. The principal feels betrayed.Same story for the local orphanage. He promised and sent not a dime. It had to close. See the photo of the dump that is the Senator Obama Middle School.

This man promises but fails to deliver. Even to his own father's family. All at the same time that he and Michelle moved into their swanky $1.6M home and Michelle becomes known for her expensive designer frocks. And she complains about having had to pay back student loans and paying for her kids private lessons (tennis, ballet, music, summer camps etc).

He is nothing short of disgraceful and the American people still supporting him need to wake up.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

So Obama is going to send the Troops to a "right country" to die. That is strange coming from the man of peace isn't it?

Posted by: ZarDotZ | August 11, 2008 6:03 AM | Report abuse

OBAMA has a Dream but Democrats have a NIGHTMARE.

HELP!

WOMEN, HISPANICS AND WHITE RURAL SUBURBAN FOLKS will vote MCCAIN 2008. We hate our candidate Obama.

Posted by: Grace | August 11, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Eyes-wide -open :
You are no democrat...at least not a 20tjh century democrat. You are one of those dixiecrats who because of the paradgm shift are now so called republicans or better known as repugnants.

Posted by: dave | August 10, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Those of you who claim to be democrats but voting repugnants because the democratic nominee is black are worse than Hitler. Even Germany has changed....so much for the most enlightened, richest, pompous subset of people on earth.
i feel sorry for y' all.....

Posted by: dave | August 10, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Wake up kool-ade drinkers. Yes, I am a Democrat and I vote and I will not be voting for Obama. I don't care how much he flips and flops, I don't care how much you wag your fingers and call me a racist, I don't care what terrible things you tell me will happen if the Republicans enter the Whitehouse again.

I'm a Democrat voting for McCain and I'm not alone. Perhaps you should face the truth rather than the standard name calling. Maybe then you could change the facts.

You've been too busy placing your head in the dark places and showing how school-girlish you can be.

Oh my...I'm so offended...he called me Rovian!! **** off. I still vote and I'll have a smile on my face when I vote this time around.

Posted by: Eyes-Wide-Open | August 10, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

that the clintons have been given a large role should not be a surprise, given that she has half the convention delegates. what is a surprise is that it took so long and that apparently some on obama's team hold a grudge and try to run a campaign accordingly. petty petulance, as noted at www.straightrecord.com/randomrants, should have no place in an effort to select the next "leader of the free world." it's about time both camps grew up.

Posted by: jumpingelephant | August 10, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

T Smith nice try.

You are right up there with women posting who are allegedly pro-Hillary, but voting McCain.

I believe those posters are Rovian plants.

Honestly, considering what McCain would do to the Supreme Court alone...remove a woman's reproductive choice and disallow equal pay for equal work...a pro-choice woman would have to be a masochist to vote for McCain.

Posted by: scootmandubious | August 10, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I think T. Smith has to become a Democrat before spelling it; to say he’s not voting Democrat this year because of what Michelle spoke, isn’t believable. I don’t think he was voting Democrat regardless of her comments. I am personally thrill she’s speaking at the convention, so T. Smith, I am sorry you won’t be with us this year. How are your plans for attending the Republican Convention going? Are you thrilled and excited about hearing Dick Cheney speak?

Posted by: Strongdea | August 10, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

I can't blame her for saying that.

As for being proud of this country...when was the last time someone in politics did something that made you proud of this country?

Sending thousands of American troops to the wrong country to die? We should be focused on Afghanistan and Pakistan, not Iraq.

I'm not a Democrat or a Republican and to be honest, I really don't like the Republican or the Democratic nomination.

Posted by: Eric | August 10, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

You should learn how to spell democrat.

Posted by: Billy Bob Joe Alfonso | August 10, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm really disappointed that Michelle Obama will have a center role in the convention. I didn't appreciate her comment that was something like "this is the first time I've been proud of my country"... I trust her even less than I trust her husband. I'm a democrate and have always voted democrate since I was 18 years old... but not this year.

Posted by: T smith | August 10, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse