Huck vs. Mitt -- Again

By Michael D. Shear
Are we about to get Round 2 of the Huckabee-Romney slugfest?

As speculation heats up about the possibility that Sen. John McCain might pick former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney as his running mate, Huckabee is pooh-poohing the idea.

"The issue is that, in many ways, Mitt Romney has had very definite swings of position, not just on one or two things, but on many of the issues," Huckabee, the former governor of Arkansas, said on Fox News today.

"I think that there are better choices for Sen. McCain that will have the approval of values voters," he added.

Huckabee denied an earlier media report in which he seemed to suggest that it was Romney's Mormon religion that should be a disqualifying factor.

"There is absolutely no issue about Mitt Romney's religion. I have never said that," Huckabee said.

But his comments renew what had become a nasty spat between the two politicians during the Republican primary. Huckabee's come-from-nowhere victory over Romney in the Iowa caucus was a big reason that Romney lost the nomination.

Toward the end of the Iowa battle, Romney aired some hard-edged attack ads against Huckabee, accusing him of pardoning more than 1,000 people as governor and supporting in-state tuition for illegal immigrants.

There was a palpable dislike between the two that now appears not to have subsided. Huckabee's critique -- that Romney is a flip-flopper who has come to conservative positions late in life -- was a key part of the campaign against him during the primaries.

But it also highlights what could be an ongoing problem for McCain -- an unease among social conservatives that may affect how they vote in November. McCain aides have said the party's diverse constituencies are united behind the nominee, but Huckabee's concerns may indicate otherwise.

"The primaries are over," said Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom. "Now, the task of all Republicans is on uniting the party to help elect John McCain, not on sowing division."

By Web Politics Editor  |  August 14, 2008; 1:59 PM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Mike Huckabee , Mitt Romney
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eastwood Makes McCain's Day
Next: Obama Tops in Donations from Troops

Comments

Huckabee is a paster on paper only!
"By their deeds ye shall know them"...yep, we know he has sour grapes, envy, jeoulousy....shame on you Huckabee.
You divided the conservative party in the spring....what? going to do it again because of your pride? We will then end up with Obama! I think confession and repentance should be on your agenda.

Posted by: Wantthebest | August 20, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Huckaberry! Shame on you! You are supposed to be a pastor who is many hungry. But a lot of your followers have right to choose or support. You are just jealous man and I don't believe you are a pastor.Then act like one.
You are brain washing all your followers and taking their free agency to choose for the elections or VP. They are not your robot and you had better go back to your church and start learning from Bible. You are so ill speaking of Mitt. Which person is more evil.
I never heard even one word from Mitt about back biting about you. Which is more suit to be VP? Of course Mitt Romney who tried to unite Republicans. You are trying to divide so that you are taking the side of evil, Satan. Are you the one who wears sheep skin but inside is wolf?
Preach correct principle but not speak ill or evil of others. Christ taught to love one another.!! Remember?
I will support Mitt Romney all the way to White House in 2012 and of course him to become VP.
Mccain needs Mitt to win in Nov.

Posted by: ST | August 17, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Huck has taken upon himself the authority to preach the word of God or Pristcraft. Mitt Romney on the other hand can trace his Priesthood Authority back to Jesus Christ. Christ ordained the apostles and Peter, James and John ordained Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery in 1829 and then it was past down from then on. Mitt Romney is the man but I think he should wait till 2012. Instead of Mormon, lets use the official name of the church 'The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints." If it was John the Baptist church then it would be named after John the Baptist, or Lutheran Church after Martin Luther. It's named after the living Jesus Christ and is lead by his living Prophet and 12 living Apostles. What is so hard about that idea - read the Bible people and think for yourself. What happened to the ancient church with Apostles??? Besides that they were all killed and rejected by the people.

Posted by: Glen Brown | August 16, 2008 2:48 AM | Report abuse

"That said, I have quite a few ideologically qualms with Obama. While I consider much of the right-wing media smear of Obama despicable, I don't see Obama doing a lot to curb government spending, abolishing the Federal Reserve System, moving towards a foreign policy of non-intervention, or promoting a constitutional limited government." -- Jake L
***************************************
"Abolishing the Federal Reserve System?" C'mon Jake L -- this kind of talk from you sounds ingorant, and reminds me of the anti-semitic militiamen out here in the West. We are not in the 1930s any more,and that style of Republican has been long since discredited, especially by WWII and the Holocaust. Maybe that's why Ron Paul never really got any traction. And what really does "constitutional limited government" mean in this day and age?

Posted by: mountainman | August 15, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

More like Huck vs. Huck

Let's face it. I'm unbiased to either Huck or Romney but you have to ask, "Why is Romney the only one that Huck comes out directly to bash?" Certainly Liebermann or Ridge would be worse than Romney on conservative values. I don't see Romney out there bashing Huck....he's mature and poised about it. He doesn't take the low road. He's out there promoting conservative candidates with his new PAC and promoting McCain. I haven't seen Huck out there promoting McCain. I have seen him pandering for his personal causes to get a TV show on FOX and fire up evangelicals against Romney. Hey Huck, Romney isn't running anymore, let's move on and concentrate on lifting up the GOP, not tearing it down.

Posted by: Jacob W. | August 15, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Hi, I'm an evangelical and I love Romney. I liked Huckabee too, but he was vetted and his past was pretty ugly, son brutally murdered a dog, said crazy things like murdering Obama at an NRA rally, cooking squirrels in a popcorn popper... so no, he could not be VP.

Go evangelicals! Go McCain! Go Romney!

Posted by: EvangelicalforMitt! | August 15, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Evangicals have done enough to this great country. It's not their country. Legislate social values? That is no better than the Taliban. Politically they are like the crazy aunt that needs to be put back in the attic. Where does it end? Given the power would they eventually outlaw dancing? The rest of us just need to look at how the people of Afghanistan suffered under the Taliban when they legislated their social values. Jesus should come back and set these religious people straight, just like he did last time. He was actually a very cool powerful reincarnation of buddha and he didn't die on the cross. He went back to India and evangicals today haven't the slightest real knowledge of Him. Evangicals are not even true Christians, their religion is Paulism and Paul was a very confused closet homosexual and he warped the original message. The most interesting irony of all is how so called people of religion, fundamentalists of every stripe, are satan's most effective pawns.

Posted by: evangicalsaresatansplaythings | August 15, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Mormon and I LOVE evangelicals. We need more of em in this country.

That being said, Romney would be the best pick for Veep, he's the only Veep candidate that can bring in swing states (Michigan, Colorado, Nevada, possibly Ohio), NOBODY else can do this. He has movie star good looks, perfect family, fully vetted (the only thing the media can do is try and bash his faith and try and get evangelicals flustered over it), great economic bona fides.

It HAS to be Romney!

McCain/Romney 08!

Posted by: McCain/Romney 08! | August 15, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Mitt is a real USA and Huck is a real Iran just only give a big mouth but weak.

Posted by: Kim | August 15, 2008 4:38 AM | Report abuse

I supported Mitt to be a VP as he was more smarter and clean than others... Go Mitt. The Mormon is the only true church in the world.

Posted by: Tim | August 15, 2008 4:27 AM | Report abuse

Huck may be a narrow-minded bigot, but at least he's a consistent one. Romney changes positions on major issues as often as he changes Countess Mara ties.

Posted by: malach hamovess | August 15, 2008 3:43 AM | Report abuse

Way to try to divide the right wing, Huckabee. You so often show the clear difference between you and Romney. Romney, a man of class, is busy trying to unify the party and Huckabee is still trying to create wedges. What a loser!

Posted by: DH | August 15, 2008 1:28 AM | Report abuse

Mike Huckabee is a one hit wonder.

Posted by: danielhancock | August 15, 2008 1:20 AM | Report abuse

I was a staunch Romney supporter, but I will vote for McCain even if he chooses huckabee as VP. I think McCain understands the precarious nature of world affairs, and I hope he will appoint good judges. I have always loved tough primaries. I think they should be like political cage fights; But after we had a nominee I have been impressed with Mitt Romney's example of unity, therefore if huckabee becomes the VP I will try to follow MItt's example and seek to support ticket.

Posted by: zeek | August 15, 2008 1:12 AM | Report abuse

The last memorable thing the Huckster did was make a despicable joke before a white, gun-toting NRA group about Obama fearing assassination. Media should reference that every time they quote the bigot.

Posted by: WakeWashington | August 15, 2008 12:55 AM | Report abuse

McCAIN & ROMNEY: This is the team - and the only one on either side of the aisle -with the expertise and experience to hit on all cylinders: National Security, Economy, Health Care, Governance, and Family Values. Together, they bring it all to the table. Both are fully vetted, Romney's age is just right -not too young or too old to match McCain, he is seriously smart -- the only candidate recognized with global economy credentials in the entire race, and he is a believable candidate for the position a heartbeat away from the Presidency. They are alike, yet different; they both convey competence and leadership; and, yes, Romney helps a McCain presidency “look” better.

Finally, Romney delivers Michigan and strengthens McCain in other key western states. As for the anti-Mormon Evangelicals who still refuse to believe Mormons are Christians, surveys showed that by the end of the primary season, Romney was carrying as many Evangelical votes as Huckabee. There’s unquestionably a narrow strata of anti-Mormon Evangelicals but they don’t want McCain either, surely won't vote for Obama, and will likely stay home. The majority of Evangelicals are driven by critical core values that will send them to the polls, if only to ensure that the next two Supreme Court Justices are not rabid pro-abortionists. Evangelicals understand that there's a lot at stake that will matter long after the next President or Vice President have come and gone.

Further, the hits Romney took from the liberal media while a primary candidate would now be emerging in a very different context and have much less punch. How can, say, a Chris Matthews, criticize Romney for “flip-flopping” after Matthew’s guy, Obama, continues to flip by the day? Besides, Newsweek has now determined – once Obama started doing it – that flip-flopping is good.

And given Obama’s religious baggage (just why did he stay in that church for 20 years?), how do the Dems go after Romney on religion? (Interesting factoid: both Romney and Obama have polygamist ancestors!) In fact, McCain could use the occasion of selecting Romney as his running mate to take an aggressive and public stand against religious bigotry of any kind.

And then there’s the economy: Romney’s got bona fides. You can’t refute his experience nor his success in the global economy. Obama has none. Zero. As Romney has said, Obama has ever run a thing much less a country. At least McCain brings to the White House his major management experience in the military as well as decades of experience with major issues affecting this country. As the Obama campaign has learned, going after McCain on his military experience only begs the question: Well, what has Obama done? Going after Romney on his economic experience will beg a similar question: What has Obama ever done to merit voters' confidence in his grasp of global economic issues?

America is feeling desperate for leaders who can rebuild this nation’s economic stability; a President who made his money writing books just doesn’t instill confidence in me. I want the guy who turned Office Depot into a global giant and managed to relight the torch of a dying Olympics. Give us McCain & Romney. Give America its future.

Posted by: Citizen American | August 15, 2008 12:55 AM | Report abuse

wannamakesomethinofit wrote:
"I hear more pro-Obama people say they would have voted for Huckabee if he were still in the race."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What a surprise that the same kind of people who would vote for the empty-suit-smooth-talking-BSer Obama would also go for Huckabeen. Now that's a shocker....

Posted by: Shelby | August 14, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Mitt is a smart man. Probably a good man. But he does believe in a nonsense book called Mormon. A fake history of a fake people who inhabited the Americas prior to the Native Americans. Some may feel true Christianity is nonsense and that is fine. Mitts beliefs are fair game. If he becomes the VP nominee the press will rip Mormonizm apart and Obama will be the next President.

Posted by: MITCHS52 | August 14, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

If anyone here has led a more righteous life than Mitt Romney has, you should go ahead and criticize him and his religion.

Posted by: linney234 | August 14, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

It's going to be funny when McCain bypasses Romney and goes with pro-abortion Tom Ridge as his VP. It'll serve the so-called "values voters" right to have a VP who opposes their sacred issue.

The reality is Mitt Romney is an exceptional man of great intellect and has exuded nothing but class and grace in defeat. Unlike Huck, he has tried to unify the party and work towards getting McCain elected. And, he would make an outstanding VP if Huck's army would lay off but because they won't, McCain may just pick Ridge instead and that would serve the Huckster and all his bigoted supporters right.

Posted by: Ci2Eye | August 14, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Romney has led a more godly life than most if not all of his critics. I've had the opportunity to meet many Mormons and they have been kind, sincere, honest, level headed individuals. Therefore, there must be some goodness in Mormonism.

People would probably vote for Bill Clinton, for example, over Romney. Even though, Bill Clinton thinks living a godly life is a joke!

It's the individual that matters not what type of bible they hide under as a facade.

It all boils down to if you believe that God is a just one. Would God approve more of Clinton and his womanizing shenanigans or of Romney's life? Would God choose Clinton over Romney? I think God, if he is the just God I think he is, is more likely to approve of Romney and reward his clean life.

Posted by: jess | August 14, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

rejected in the primaries EDE? Where were you? He wins without Huckster preaching his false doctrine. Watch the stock market jump when Romney is chosen. Finally an intelligent person near the whitehouse who has the experience and education we need now.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | August 14, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

He puts things so much better than I can.

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltscN0tvlRw

Posted by: Jean | August 14, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone besides his family and some far right evangelicals take Mike Huckabee seriously? If McCain were seriously (sorry folks, he's not) considering Huckabee as VP, do you think that Romney would bad-mouth him? Of course not! Romney's got class and intelligence, something sorely lacking in politics today.

Posted by: alvinels | August 14, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Cor, You need to go deeper than Mormon indoctrination pap. They only believe Crist is a God. They do not believe He is God. They are not Christians no matter what name they give themselves. This is not to say Mormon people are bad. Just wrong at the core. The secrecy alone is scary. They believe the Book of Mormon is Gospel over the Bible. That the Bible is flawed. No to Mitt.

Posted by: MITCHS52 | August 14, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I used to dislike Huckabee. Now I hate him. He's a sore loser, a fake, a phony, a panderer, an opportunist, a divider, a bigot. He has no future in national politics, thank goodness!

Posted by: MH | August 14, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I trust myself way more than I trust you I'm afraid. (Nothing against you.

I know all about the Mormon church and how they believe and worship Christ. What's unbelievable is what you just said. I'd suggest you be the one that does some checking. Good place to start is www.jesuschrist.lds.org And, to reiterate what the Mormon church has repeatedly stated, the actual name of the church is, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

But again, what does any of this have to do with the topic of the article above? Not a lot I'm afraid. I'll stick with my original statement, which actually addresses the minds of the liberals and a lot of the media. Mention Mit Romney and they all go Mormon batty. Mention Harry Reid, an active Mormon member, and he gets a free pass. Check into that.

Posted by: Cor | August 14, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

GOD ENDORSED ME FOR PRESIDENT!!!! Didn't you all see the cross he put in my TV commercial??? Romney will burn in Mormon hell with Steve Young, Aaron Eckhart, and the dog my son tortured!! (we caught Rover reading a Book of Mormon).

Posted by: Mike Huckabee | August 14, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Cor, Try looking up what Mormons believe for a change. You will find they do not worship the Christ you worship. Christ is just a good Morman man who was given this planet as his reward. Mars is next. I think Harry gets that one. Look it up before you pave it over Cor.

Posted by: MITCHS52 | August 14, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Mitch52,

Wow man! That's amazing. How do you know me so well? (I say dripping with sarcasm.)

Christianity means everything to me. My family next, and my education after that. My views on religious and secular topics are just as valid as any--the same right you claim.

To me, (and this is from just uneducated little 'ole me) a leader must have a strong belief in God and worship God. I think Mormon's are Christians. They believe in and worship Christ just as all Christians do in their different ways. Other religions believe in and worship God, but not necessarily Christ and not necessarily in the same way. My point is the whole Mormon discussion is full of hypocrisy and inaccuracies and has little to do with anyone's ability to lead and govern. The same is true of any religion.

The head of the Senate of the United States of America (a Mormon), a key component of the U.S. Congress and one of three branches of the U.S. Federal Government, has nothing to do with your State? Reid and Pelosi are not representatives of my state either, but they scare me to death--and not because of their religious beliefs. It's a total double standard the media, the liberals, and the 'uneducated' place on this Mormon discussion. The fact is there are members of the Federal, State, and local governments of every state that are members of every single religion out there including conservative and liberal Mormons.

If you're going to criticize Romney for being Mormon, you have to for all Mormon government officials. And frankly, you do for those of any organized religion. Belief in God in all its flavors is one of the key things that makes this country great. If you're not convinced, let's move this discussion to China and see how far it goes.

Posted by: Cor | August 14, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Reid isn't running in my State. If he were I would raise the issue. Cor, you seem to follow the uneducated secular crowd. Religon has no meaning to you because you have no belief and little knowlege of what a Christian sees as the enemy. This is a very real issue to us. We have a right to voice our concerns.

Posted by: MITCHS52 | August 14, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, what does the Mormon religion, Mormon underwear, and everything else the anti-Mormon crowd brings to this discussion have to do with this article? It's simple, Huckabee wants to be the VP. He'll say what he wants to say.

What baffles me is you mention Mit Romney and the liberals and anit-Mormons go bananas and raise the Mormon thing again and again and again (it's old man...can't you find something else?), but they give a complete and free pass to their liberal hero Harry Reid! Harry the liberal king of the Senate Majority is a Mormon! If being a Mormon politician is such an evil thing, then why oh why does he get a free pass from the 'Mormon controversy?'

That's the true hypocrisy of the whole Mormon discussion.

Posted by: Cor | August 14, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Showes their picture and they look normal.
daggone!! you would think since they are mormon! they would have horns coming out their ears!! wow they don't.

Posted by: Jen | August 14, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Tell us, LDS, who in the Mormon Church gets to wear those "garments"

Posted by: MITCHS | August 14, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Chick Fil A is not owned by a Mormon. That brings your whole list into question (Osmonds, Steve Young, etc. Mormons, but Dell and B&D?).

Mormons tell you one thing at your door, and another thing inside. It's their M.O. They do the same thing at their worship services, which will only have 0-2 non-Christian beliefs per service, but if you go to adult education ("Sabbath School") then you'll learn more of what they really belief. Ditto for the Book of Mormon, which is mostly edited to remove non-Christian doctrines, versus books they'll give you later, such as Pearl of Great Price. The obviously non-Christian beliefs come later, after your boss and friends are all Mormon.

It's like the Masons or any other secret society.

Posted by: Rand | August 14, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

But Huckabee seems to be opposed to a third Biblical volume (or more) updating the Old and New Testaments.

Posted by: 2mature2bhornswoggled | August 14, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

It is sad to see so many Democrats in this world that are misogynists. I agree with Palin as the VP pick. We want a woman to break the glass ceiling!

Posted by: Ann | August 14, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

"Mormons are solidly Republican. They are also an extremely dependable voting bloc. The Dems should be so lucky. They will vote Republican regardless of small nuances in the GOP candidate's platform."

This is mostly true, but not completely. The congressman for Utah's 2nd district (Jim Matheson) is a Democrat (albeit a moderate one) and has been for some time.

I suspect that Mormons tend to vote more Republican than Democrat and will do so in this election as well. But the real advantage of McCain having a Republican VP who also happens to be Mormon (Romney) will be that many Mormons will push a McCain/Romney ticket much more zealously (i.e. think Mormon missionaries). But like I pointed out in an earlier post, this enthusiasm gain would probably be offset by a slight margin of anti-Mormon Republicans that would cringe at the thought of a Mormon being the US VP.

If you think there is enough anti-black sentiment and inuendo aimed at Barack, just watch out if Romney is VP. Oh, and for the record, I'm a practicing Mormon.

Posted by: JakeL | August 14, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I would take issue with Romney's religion. There are plenty of inconsistencies in Mormonism, and in the Book of Mormon (although fewer now than there were in Joseph Smith's time, thanks to edits). Anyone who would subscribe to that religion is without merit in the area of intelligence and research -- and I don't care how good you are at remembering random facts, Ken Jennings.

Posted by: Rand | August 14, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

What is all this about Mormons having magical underwear? We do wear religious garments under our regular clothing, but we don't profess that it has magical powers or anything of the sort. It is symbolic reminder to us of our beliefs and our commitment to follow the example of Jesus Christ.

Posted by: LDS Person | August 14, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Re:Posted by: CMC Romney is Mormon. look into the operations of the Mormons in America and you might want to rethink your views.

Posted by: CMC | August 14, 2008 3:59 PM
__________________________________________
Steve Young - famous Football player
The Osmonds- Singers entertainers
JarviK..Invented the Jarvik artificial heart.
Clayton--invented the speedometer on your car.
Dell Computer...CEO is Mormon
Chick Filet....Mormon owned
Black & Decker CEO---Mormon
Founder of Skywest Airlines--Mormon
I can go on and on the list would be un-ending.
You better run out and check into these weird mormon operations dude.
I guarntee you can't live in this world without using on a daily basis something that Mormons produced.

Posted by: Jen | August 14, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Huckabee doesn't like Mitt has NOTHING to do with his religion. If you do some research, you'll find there are plenty of VALID reasons to not support him.

Posted by: Do some research!! | August 14, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Romney is the only chance McCain has at gaining some credibility with the public as far as the economy is concerned. Romney is the financial genius we need in the White House to get the economy in shape. Even if McCain doesn't pick Romney as his running mate he should appoint him to his cabinet. That is assuming he can beat Obama, which doesn't seem likely with the media pushing for Obama. But we can hope.

Posted by: Data | August 14, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"Jake in Salt Lake, if you really like Ron Paul, you really should get behind Bob Barr vote your principals, take votes away from McCain, and ensure that the one intelligent, patriotic, real candidate, Barack Obama, gets to the White House."

There's an old saying that goes "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." I grudgingly hope that Obama gets elected over McCain (which is sad to say because I'm a Republican State and County delegate).

America is on the verge of economic and credibility collapse. McCain get’s us there on a speeding bullet. Obama will be constrained by the economic mess that he inherits from Mr. Bush and Cheney and then again by his ability to see the consequences of unbalanced budgets and military hegemony. Obama is the clear choice for those who wish to slow the Empire in order to save our Republic.

Posted by: JakeL | August 14, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

It's too bad our country can't respect different religions. Huckabee is no Christian - he's the biggest hipocrit of them all.

Posted by: courvalkc1 | August 14, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jake in Salt Lake | August 14, 2008 3:38 PM
--------------
What a silly comment. Mormons are solidly Republican. They are also an extremely dependable voting bloc. The Dems should be so lucky. They will vote Republican regardless of small nuances in the GOP candidate's platform.

Posted by: wannamakesomethinofit? | August 14, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I hear more pro-Obama people say they would have voted for Huckabee if he were still in the race. McCain ranks high on the cold-dead-fish-O-meter, and Romney is a just a creep

Posted by: wannamakesomethinofit? | August 14, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

"Romney aired some hard-edged attack ads against Huckabee, accusing him of pardoning more than 1,000 people as governor and supporting in-state tuition for illegal immigrants." -----------------
They were neither that "hard-edged" nor did they "accuse", they actually used facts from Huckabee's record as a horrible Governor from Arkansas. I'll concede that they fall in the category of attack ads, but they compared the records of the two Governors and did not use name-calling like "Huck's Army" has been using for the past few days.

Posted by: Bill | August 14, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by CMC: Romney is Mormon. look into the operations of the Mormons in America and you might want to rethink your views. very conservative, very closed , very backward organization a 16th century religion kind of like Muslims

You appear to be a very well informed voter. I can't wait for your additional comments, despite the fact that the mormon religion began in the 19th century. A++ for you!

Posted by: uber30something | August 14, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Mc Cain can pick anyone he likes and will still lose unless of course he can convince Jesus himself to a second coming and run for office. He has disrespected veterans to no end and that MY FRIENDS will also cost him dearly this election. We were watching when he said he would not suppport the GI Bill and decided to back George W. Bush who was threatening veto. Now of course he lies to us and tells us it was his idea from the get go.

No Mr. Mc Cain we know it was always Jim Webb who not only authored it but him and Barack Obama helped insure it passed with more than enough votes to over ride any vetos.

YES WE CAN! YES WE WILL! AIRBORNE AND THEN SOME...

Posted by: COL MARK WITTINGTON US ARMY | August 14, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Picking a Sarah Palin or Michael Steele will be seen as an act of desperation (see Geraldine Ferraro 1984).
Romney is a Republican John Kerry, only worse. The problem with Romney is not that he's a Mormon, it's that he's a Mormon in a name only. If he was a true Mormon he would have never been pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage.
I will NOT vote for McCain if Huckabee is not his running mate. Pure and simple.

Posted by: Tod | August 14, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

This shows me 2 things about Huckabee:

1. He still doesn't like Romney OR Mormons.

2. His arrogance. He is trying to define the qualifications for McCain's running mate.

Huck, go crawl back under the rock you came from!

Posted by: Sean | August 14, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Uggg! Is there no end to Hucksters hatred of Mormons? What's so vile about them that he's still carping on Mitt for? Now, let me ask, why would all the mormons vote for Mitt? Is it the same reason "all" the blacks are voting for Obama? If that is the case, would all those conservative mormons vote for Harry Reid if he ran for president?

I think both Hate-aby and Romn-ey are too caustic for VP. I like the idea someelse floated of Gov Steele. Give black voters a choice and lets see how it shapes up.

Posted by: uber30something | August 14, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and look into the into the operations of "Christians" in the world over the last two centuries. The Crusades, the Inquisition, and slavery are hardly great points on a resume.

I'm willing to bet anyone who doesn't trust Mormons based on the history of the religion probably hasn't taken the time to get to know many of them personally to see they're generally normal people like you. Assuming you're normal.

Judge a person for their own personal values and practice of those tenets. If you want to dig up history, there are more skeletons in the Christian closet than any catacomb built for "Heathens" or "Heretics."

Posted by: Adam | August 14, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

"Ron Paul was the only Republican that had a chance to defeat Obama because he has solid conservative credentials and actually would have been able to pick up independent voters and voters on the left."
****************************************
Yes, that is until independent voters and voters on the left finally looked at what Ron Paul has been standing for in the last 20 years -- then Ron Paul and the Republican party would really have been toast. Jake in Salt Lake, if you really like Ron Paul, you really should get behind Bob Barr (aka "Babar" according to Colbert) . . . vote your principals, take votes away from McCain, and ensure that the one intelligent, patriotic, real candidate, Barack Obama, gets to the White House.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Mormon but not a Romney fan. He did flip flop on issues and at the heart of it he just seems like another career politician, willing to say whatever seems most likely to get him elected.

That said, Mormon bashers are bigots. There's nothing more preposterous in the eyes of logic about Mormonism than there is about traditional Christianity.

If being called a Christian means believing in the divinity of Jesus Christ and that he's the Savior of the world, count me in.

If being called a Christian means that I believe the Nicean creed when a bunch of guys voted on what they thought God was like, completely disregarding any conflicting biblical evidence... and that servants of kings jockeying for power translated the bible perfectly over it's multiple iterations and that the Song of Solomon is inspired doctrine... then you're right... I'm not a Christian by that definition. And that's fine with me.

But my differences on those issues would not prevent me from voting for a "traditional" Christian, a Muslim, Sikh, Hindu, Atheist, Jew, Buddhist, Taoist, Confucianist, Zoroastrians, or anyone else for that matter that is an individual of integrity and isn't in the pocket of big business or big oil.

I'm not a Romney fan, but that's because I'm unsure of his integrity... but there are certainly varying levels of that with a person of any religion.

Differ with his policies, fine... I'll be right on that train with you. But as soon as anyone points at a candidate and rails against their religion or lack thereof... that's where I get off.

Posted by: Adam | August 14, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CMC | August 14, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Why are the Huckabee evangelicals so afraid of Mormons???their actions of anti mormon smears, lies, garbage is from the devil..it is far from Christ like actions....the huckabee clan can call themselves christain all they want, their actions speak a lot louder than words, and they are so far from Christ like...they make Jeremiah Wright look good. Note I don't put all evangilicals in the huckabee clan....there are some out there with a brain that are not filled with hatred toward Mormons...matter of fact they voted for Romney in the primaries.

Posted by: Jen | August 14, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Ede. I also think Michael Steele would be an excellent VP choice for McCain.

Posted by: LuLu | August 14, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Romney's religion IS an issue. He can believe whatever he wants but that doesn't mean people have to like it. And nothing stops them from voting against him because of it.
And we know for a fact they will, because McCain's choice for VP matters more than usual (him being old as hell and all).

Posted by: P3epe | August 14, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

McCain can't pick Romney because the Evangelical Christian and Baptist voting bloc is still influential and wouldn't stand for a Mormon VP. By the same token, McCain really needs to pick Romney to get the very important Mormon vote in the west (Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico) and to help him carry Michigan.

If McCain chooses Huckabee for VP, he loses the Mormon vote and will ultimately lose to Obama. If McCain choses Romney, he will severe the already thin support he has with the religious right and will lose to Obama. Either way, McCain is toast. He can't pick either Romney or Huckabee because there is too much drama.

Posted by: Jake in Salt Lake | August 14, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Romney WOULD be a disaster for McCain, for whatever reason he was rejected in the primaries! He doesn't have the necessary appeal and comes with built in negatives.

On the other hand - what about my personal favorite for the position: Former Lt Gov Michael Steele!!

Brilliant, articulate, conservative, brings EXECUTIVE branch experience, understands economic realities, he's a Washington outsider, but his proximity to Washington means he is not naiive to how the city works. And not unimportantly, he is African-American - giving that community an alternative to "make history" while allowing them to vote against Obama without guilt!

Posted by: Ede | August 14, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee honest??? that fool don't know the meaning of the word....I would vote Jethro Bodine before I would vote with Huckabee on a ticket.
USA would be the laughing stock of the world with Huckabee anywhere near the White House.

Posted by: xantiphi | August 14, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

If Mitt is selected as a VP running mate it will be all over for McCain. The Press will start asking hard questions about Mormonism. Suddenly the magic underwear will be out of the closet. The secrets of the Temple will be exposed. Google it folks. Mormons are not Christians. Not even close. They believe the book of Mormon is more accurate than the Bible. If you think Evangelical Christians are over the edge get a load of Mormonism

Posted by: MITCHS | August 14, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

McCain can't pick Huckabee because there are enough Evangelical Christians and Baptists that wouldn't vote for him because they can't stand the idea of a Mormon VP.

By the same token, McCain really needs to pick Romney to have a shot at beating Obama in some swing states where the Mormon vote is a serious issue (Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, etc.).

If McCain picks Huckabee, he alienates the Mormon vote and loses to Obama. If McCain picks Romney, he alienates the evangelical Christian vote and loses to Obama. Either way, McCain is toast. Ron Paul was the only Republican that had a chance to defeat Obama because he has solid conservative credentials and actually would have been able to pick up independent voters and voters on the left.

Posted by: Jake in Salt Lake | August 14, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I've always wanted Romney as McCain's running mate and believe that would be a very strong ticket that will win the election.

The way the DNC and Huckabee have now raised their game in their all-out ATTACK against Romney just confirms to me that I am "right on". Romney/McCain can win!! GO "MCCAIN/ROMNEY'08"! :)

(Note: I understand that Huckabee is a very prejudiced, arrogant, divisive, self-centered person who hates Mormons so I'm not ever surprised by the hate speech garbage that spews from his disgusting narrow-minded impaired brain. He makes my skin crawl.)

Posted by: courvalkc1 | August 14, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I sincerely believe that if Romney becomes the VP, Evangelicals will do everything in their power to stop a Mormon from becoming a part of the Presidency.

They're hatred of Mormons is so deep, it transcends everything Obama stands for. They would rather their country become a socialist state than see a few more Mormon converts.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Jake D, you pontificate aplenty against Obama on the Washington Post bulletin boards -- where are you on this one? Do you spend any time over here in the lower levels of discussion of who really supports your R candidate (anyone but Obama, it appears is OK with you). Do you see the great schism opening up between the guns/gays/god faction of the Republican party (Huckabee) and the CEO/tax-cutting/flip-flopping do-whatever-it-takes/non-evangelical Christian (i.e. Mormon) faction (Romney)?
In your chosen land, there appears to be dissention. Speak up over here, please.

Posted by: mountainman | August 14, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Romney 2004 or McCain 2000 would each be good picks for Democratic VP nominee.

Posted by: Aleks | August 14, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee has always been honest and straight-forward in his comments from the beginning of his very own campaign! Now, as a Fox contributor, he speaks candidly and speaks the truth about Romney and millions of us agree! Romney is nothing more than an opportunist..Holy Mackerel!! The guy was pro-choice and pro-gay/lesbian when governor of Mass. Then, when he began his quest for the Republican party presidency, he magically changed (we call that "flip-flopping") on issues that conservatives hold dear...HOW CAN ANYONE TRUST THIS GUY...ever?!?!?! Can't; won't!!

Posted by: EuropeanTraveler | August 14, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry, there are actually some good minds left in the GOP. That is why Sarah Palin will be nominated for VP.

McCain/Palin '08

Posted by: Tyrone | August 14, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Would be great to see Huckabee on the ticket....to ensure win for Obama.

Posted by: Lucy | August 14, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

As someone who originally thought Huck was refreshing, I am starting to question my opinion of him.

Huck is starting to "wear thin" on me. Maybe he should just go home.

Posted by: T Smith | August 14, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

At least Romney will not support a Constitutional amendment to make the current version of the Protestant Bible the new law of the land. I prefer the book of Q, myself. We used to actually have freedom of religion around here, remember?

Will the 27% fundamentalists actually run this country into the ground? So far, we have the dollar at 60% of its value since the faith based initiative boys took over. I have had enough war for a while. The candidate should have to answer whether they believe that Revelations will be fulfilled by their administration and if they are trying to bring on Armageddon, let's vote against the Rapture boys while we can.

Posted by: Bruce Becker | August 14, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

That comment by premier in this political section is the most relevant political blog I've ever read in this paper's blog arena. Keep up the good work premier!

Posted by: FinallyRelevant | August 14, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree with almost none of Huckabee's positions - especially on legislating social morality. But you've got to hand it to any politician when they just come out and tell the truth. How in the world do conservatives think Romney got to be governor of Massachusetts anyway? He was a liberal Republican, that's how. And now he sounds like the Ayatollah Komeni of American politics with all his penalizing conservative BS.

Posted by: Lib Bob | August 14, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Who cares what sore-loser buffoon Huckabee has to say???!!!

I pity the Huck supporters who still are being fooled by their reptilian con man Huck. This loser was never a viable candidate yet the Huckies believe he still could have a chance even after Huck''s vile Obama comment at the NRA!

Google "Huckabee Obama gun". You WILL GET A MILLION HITS !!! Huckadumb made a HUGE colossal irreparable gaffe suggesting the assassination of the Dem's messiah! McCain wants to win this election--thus HE WILL NEVER SELECT THIS HUCKABEEN DISASTER!!!

No way, EVER!!! So to Huckabee and your deluded followers: GIVE YOUR HATE A REST!

Posted by: Shelby | August 14, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Romney might carry Nevada and maybe Michigan.

That's what counts.

Ok he is not a card-carrying Talibani Christian Bible thumper. But Romney has his own pair of magic undergarments and his own brand of mythological hokum and bunk he will carry the water for in the Mormon states.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Romneys the only one that flip flopped on more issues than mccain...wait, that may not be accurate. Huckabee wants to ammend the constitution so it aligns with the bible. Hmmm....boy what choices. The real question is...does it really matter who commandant klink picks?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Neither of former candidates should be V.P. Mr. McCain should find someone else of with different outlook.

Posted by: Chris | August 14, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Huckleberry Taliban

Doesnt it just roll off your tongue? Say it, and think it.

Forget the Constitutional separation of church and state.

Talibani Huckabee

Posted by: Bruce Becker | August 14, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

All potential VPs have pluses and minuses. And people dont vote for VP, only the presidential nominee votes for his/her own VP. Thus, Romney has no chance with McCain. And Hillary has none with Obama.

Posted by: qhung | August 14, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see Huckabee as VP. Romney, not so much......

Posted by: Ann | August 14, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

This Huck guy is quickly becoming a liability. What if McCain was planning on picking Romney? Will these kind of comments help unify the party? How about we leave the primaries and start uniting. Even if we unite completely, it's going to be hard to beat Obama. Comments from these from under-powered minds won't help us...

Posted by: Anyone But Huckabee | August 14, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

WP Editors:

Your Media Section that has the Rain Dance video (which I like) is curently not working. Can't post my comment. I said:

"Yes rain cleans and has power to restore things that have been dried. Let rain speak for the Nature."

Posted by: premier | August 14, 2008 2:20 PM

We will work on that. Also give us your address so we can send your tin foil hat.... Moron

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse