Invesco Field Stadium Begins to Fill

Workers make final preparations on stage at Invesco Field, the site of the Democratic National Convention in Denver, Thursday, Aug. 28, 2008. (AP/Jack Dempsey)

By Jonathan Weisman
DENVER -- Barack Obama will accept the nomination of his party on a deep blue circular stage jutting out of a monumental, columned semicircle adorned with American flags and the Obama-Biden logo.

Obama aides call the set sober and simple. Republicans are mocking it as the Barackopolis, a grandiose monument to his ego.

The setting, which is not ornate, bears a striking resemblance to the new World War II memorial monument on Washington's Mall.

The stadium is already beginning to fill up. The Jumbotrons are firing videos, extolling Obama, the party, even Lyndon Baines Johnson on his birthday. And the Denver Broncos' concession stands are humming.

By Web Politics Editor  |  August 28, 2008; 3:59 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Surfaces Briefly
Next: Beyond the Pillars, a Speech

Comments

Cindy McCain's half-sister tells Us Magazine that she won't help put her famous sibling in the White House:

"I'm not voting for McCain," Kathleen Hensley Portalski tells Us. "I have a different political standpoint.

"I'm voting for Obama," the Phoenix resident says. "I think his proposals to improve the country are more positive and I'm not a big war believer."

...

Portalski's son Nathan, an aerospace machinist, is also backing Obama.

"I wouldn't vote for John McCain if he was a Democrat," he tells Us. "I would not vote at all before I'd vote for him.

"I question whether Cindy is someone I'd want to see in the White House as first lady," he adds.

Portalski went public with her connection to the McCains after hearing Cindy say on the trail that she was an only child.

"I'm upset," she told NPR. "I'm angry. It makes me feel like a nonperson, kind of."

"It's terribly painful," Portalski added. "It is as if she is the 'real' daughter. I am also a real daughter."

The Washington Post subsequently reported that Cindy has another half-sister who seems to have slipped her mind:

Before her marriage to Hensley, Johnson had a daughter, Dixie Burd, by a previous relationship. Burd, who is much older than Cindy, could not be reached for comment.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous:

I've never wished ill will on The One (unlike Hillary DIANE Clinton ; )

Posted by: JakeD | August 28, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

You are coming around
=======
The One has arrived!!! Long live Barack APOLLO Obama ; )

Posted by: JakeD | August 28, 2008 4:05 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Will "THE TRAIL", and WaPo in general, dedicate this much coverage to the GOP Convention next week?

Posted by: JakeD | August 28, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

you are coming around

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

LBJ's birthday was yesterday (August 27). He would have been featured by Willard Scott if he was still around as he would be 100. I would agree with the prior post about watching the Convention on CSPAN and just getting the facts as opposed to spin from overpaid and biased commentators. By the way, the Democratic V.P. announcement was in front of columns too at a building that predates the Civil War. This is another example of the GOP fear and smear machine trying to get the public off the real issues in the election.

Posted by: ejgallagher1 | August 28, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

The Clintons have indeed Redeemed themselves and have united the Democratic party. However, Media wants you to think that Dems Convention was a bust (no red meat - vegatables are so much more healthier to the system, however) But, what the Dems did accomplish and which is stronger than all the red meat/anger in the world is UNITY/Love, because a house divided cannot stand! Watch out and be on Guard for those who want to Divide because make no mistake about it a united group is Powerful, Strong, Unstoppable. Now they want to belittle and divide us by unmeaningful and trivial talks of pillars and Obama's temple, some seem even Obsessed by it. Maybe they believe he is the Messiah or something! They are like rude and jealous children who make fun of a beautiful or gifted person -- making fun of their clothes because they are not satisfied within themselves, all the while secretly wishing they looked like that or had that gift. People of Change, People of the future, be on guard!

For those who want accurate news analysis, do yourself a favor and “watch C-SPAN for convention coverage and get yourself psychically cleared. Stop watching cable news channels. The MSM is desperately working to program us morning noon and night. And creating despair amongst those who are openly hopeful about 2008 politics is very easy." We must stay confident and continue to believe that change can happen even when things look bleak and not give into our fears for we are at our weakest when we fear.

Posted by: Angellight | August 28, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

The One has arrived!!! Long live Barack APOLLO Obama ; )

Posted by: JakeD | August 28, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse