Kennedy Comes to Denver

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy. (Associated Press)

Updated 10:04 a.m.
By Shailagh Murray
DENVER -- Sources close to Sen. Edward M. Kennedy said the ailing Massachusetts senator flew here secretly overnight and will attend the Democratic National Convention this evening.

The latest word is that the liberal icon will not be speaking, although that could change. As of 24 hours ago, Kennedy was expected to stay home this year, despite his strong support for Sen. Barack Obama.

The trip posed serious health risks for Kennedy, 76, who was diagnosed in May with brain cancer. As of late yesterday, aides said he was unlikely to fly West because of the many hazards, including germs and altitude. The veteran politician apparently was unable to resist, but his arrival was meant to remain under wraps until his convention role was clarified.

"He's truly humbled by the outpouring of support, and wouldn't miss it for anything in the world," said Kennedy spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter.

Kennedy will be the subject of a Ken Burns biographical film to be aired tonight in primetime at the convention and introduced by his niece Caroline Kennedy. The tribute was expected to be an emotional high point of the week -- and that was before Kennedy decided to come.

Regardless of tonight's activities, aides and lawmakers who have spoken to Kennedy expect him to return to the Senate Sept. 8 when Congress reconvenes from its August recess.

By Web Politics Editor  |  August 25, 2008; 9:47 AM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Conventions , Democratic Party
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today, Live Online from the Democratic Convention
Next: Behind the Scenes at the DNC

Comments

is it just me or is Caroline Kennedy the most lifeless, boring public speaker ever?

Posted by: speech teacher | August 26, 2008 5:57 AM | Report abuse

Teddy's last hurrah

Posted by: vinnie | August 25, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I guess you had to be there.

Mellon Square, Pittsburgh, 1980. Towering office buildings all around, surely a frightening sight for the brother of a president who was shot dead by a lone nut with a rifle in a multi-story building.

He spoke as well as I've ever heard a politician speak. He didn't address people's fears, he tried to inflame their hopes.

He didn't win the office he sought, but when it came time to admit defeat, he gave the best political speech of his era, concluding that the cause endures, the hope survives, and the dream will never die.

I disagree with him on the matter of abortion. I honor him as a remarkable, inspiring man. We'll not see his like again, and we'll not fully appreciate him - nor will we fully appreciate the filth of Republican calumnies dating to the years they dreaded him as heir apparent to the presidency - till he's gone.

I hope that's not for another ten or twenty years.

Posted by: OfficerMancuso | August 25, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Sorry we failed you, Hillary. We should had worked harder - we should had worked smarter. Now we must accept Obama (the modern JFK) as our Commander-In-Chief, tutored by Biden (our new Dick Cheney) ... then again, maybe not ...

Posted by: Louie | August 25, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

i am no fan of kennedy (and his antics,some of which corrupted his own nephews and may have cost a young girl her life) but wish him the best and a complete recovery.

Posted by: ron | August 25, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Teddy belongs in prison for selling his soul to the KGB and working against the US for the past 30+ years.

Posted by: Fergie | August 25, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

What difference does it make if a man (or woman) gets a divorce? You don't keep the same house or car or pair of shoes your whole life. As far as "cheating", the people that complain about it the most are the ones that are jealous and wish THEY could get a little strange too. Self-righteous hippocrites!! IT MAKES NOT ONE WHET OF DIFFERENCE!!!! So Ted got a little drunk, got him some young stuff, ACCIDENTALLY ran in the water and drowned her, and then did what any other cocksman would have done.....NOTHING until he could think of what TO do. Big deal. He didn't kidnap her and rape her. She knew what she was there for. As for John-boy McBush, the man made a better deal all the way around!!! I don't blame him. Wild Bill Clinton? Listen if I woke up in the bed with Hilliary, I'd KILL MYSELF!! I wouldn't want to live long enough to hear how it happened. And I'm SICK AND TIRED of hearing people say "Hillary sucks". Hillary DOES NOT suck. That was the whole problem!!!! Don't blame Bill one bit. Things were a whole lot better when he was President than they are now for sure!! And the O'bammy boy just MIGHT be gay. Couldn't blame him either. That GERMAN SHEPHERD UGLY NASTY cow following him around looks like she'd STINK!!!!! So get off the "cheating", "divorce" crap. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WAR, GAS PRICES, JOBLESSNESS OR THE ECONOMY. And Hillary DOES NOT suck. Carpet munch, YES, suck, NO.

Posted by: Percy Kution | August 25, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Following is the list of keynote speakers and topics at the upcoming Democratic Convention:

Marion Barry --- Drug Abuse

Rep. Denny Kucinich --- How to garner 1 % of the vote in every primary entered

Sen. Chrissy Dodd --- Obtaining Countrywide loans

Sen. Chucky Schumer --- How to initiate a run on a bank

Jesse Jackson ---- Marital fidelity and Castration

John Edwards ---- Ambulance Chasing and Spousal support in time of need

Sen. Theodore Kennedy --- Driver education and How to stop a pending autopsy

James McGreevey ---- Gay rights

Mayor Ray Nagin --- Emergency evacuation preparations

Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick – Email etiquette in the workplace

Al Sharpton ---- Race relations

Sen. Evan Bayh --- How to ignore the Liberal wing of the Democratic Party and support the war in Iraq

Al Gore --- Snow Removal

Louis Farrakhan --- Muslims in America and Muslim in the White House

Posted by: gary | August 25, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

If even one of the folks who ridicule Senator Kennedy had his steadfast sense of purpose coupled with his physical courage, he or she might accomplish something worthwhile - though I doubt that this imaginary person could match the Senator's lifetime of political accomplishments.

Posted by: Douglas L. Barber | August 25, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

It is easy for the above Republicans to throw stones at Ted Kennedy but what about McCain who left his first wife with three children and disabled to to marry Cindy. His first wife stood by McCain throughout the time he was a POW. McCain is not the "maverick" that he projects. If he does not honor his wedding vows, this is a sign that he will not be truthful,loyal and committed to the American people. He is a fraud soon to be find out !

WAKE UP AMERICA !

Posted by: LSMaryland | August 25, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Hope Comrade Ted doesn't have to cross any bridges.

Posted by: muskrat | August 25, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

How many young women will Drunkard Teddy murder this week in Denver?

Posted by: JamesT | August 25, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to vote for O'Sammy O'Bammy just as a way of voting AGAINST The BushMaster. I don't want to, but there's no other common sense choice. I think the boy might just be gay. And I sure don't want to look at his NASTY, SMELLY looking wife as 1st "lady(?) for the next 4 years, but there's no other choice. If I woke up in the bed with that thing I'd turn gay too, so I can't really blame him if he IS gay. The BushMaster is the best friend the Democratic party has ever had since Tricky Dick.

Posted by: Percy Kution | August 25, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

"White hair gives way to purple lips."

Whereas racist rightwingnut pigs never change.

Posted by: Spectator2 | August 25, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

The torch has been passed: there is a new leader for the Ultra-Liberal, Loony-Left.

As the booze-impaired killer of Mary Jo Kopechne fades from the scene, the drug-impaired disciple of "God D@#! America" wright steps up.

White hair gives way to purple lips.

Some things just NEVER improve.

Posted by: ALEX H. | August 25, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I want to see Shaq and Kobe make Hillary squeal like the pig she is.

Posted by: Percy Kution | August 25, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Bill should have taken his belt to Hillary's rear end years ago when she started to "turn". Now the only thing to do is call Shaquille O'Neal. As James Brown would say, "when you hear 'Ol Hill holler, you can bet 'yo bottom dolla" Shaq has "straightened" her out for good!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Among his achivements....immigration and citizenship became entitlement programs.

Posted by: hipshot | August 25, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

All of the anti-Ted posters must be younger Republicans who don't know how to spell the name of that island off Martha's Vineyard.

But they too begin to salivate just like the GOP fossils do when there's a sniff of it in the air.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Jake D wrote:
Fairfax Voter:

I highly doubt that was the real svreader. Sounds exactly like some of the fake JakeD posts to me.

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 2:32 PM

Dear JakeD, As you can tell from my earlier comment, I agree that this may or may not be svreader. With the Washington Post's anonymous comment system, how can we possibly tell?

But in the last weeks and months I have actually met former Hillary Clinton supporters face to face, eyeball to eyeball as it were, who wanted me to know, as an Obama volunteer, they had been through a very similar change of heart. Some of them then proceeded to sign up as volunteers for the campaign! Wow. I do feel it is truly an honor to have their support, and of course we local volunteers have done every thing we can to thank them and make them feel welcome.

What I wrote to the person who may or may not be svreader is what I say to them, and what I say here to any former Hillary supporters who gave their hearts, minds, dollars, and hours to her campaign and are now supporting Obama and Biden: Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Posted by: Fairfax Voter | August 25, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Ted, master of hypocrisy, Kennedy is a disgrace to the Democratic party. This scumbag had the nerve to tell HRC to drop out of the primaries. He has a short memory. In 1980, he ran against Jimmie Carter, who was the incumbent Democratic president, and would not admit defeat even though he was 700 delegates behind. He brought it all the way to the convention. This scumbag thinks he 's going to tell me about party unity, when all he cared about in 1980 was HIMSELF. Caroline Kennedy is another joke. Being the daughter of JFK does not infer on her any political experience or knowledge. This thing has been was on Barry's VP search committee, although she has NO experience in politics. The Kennedy's are ancient history. Thank God.

Posted by: Jack Straw | August 25, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

jerry rubin:

I would argue that many other American families have served, and sacrificed, much more than the Kennedys.

For instance http://www.truveo.com/Family-of-Firefighters/id/3905655901

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I wish Ted Kennedy could call back 40 years and give 'Ol Hillary a good "workout". That might be exactly what she NEEDS to "straighten" her out.

Posted by: Percy Kution | August 25, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Ted Kennedy's gonna be there? To do what, make another pointless, unintelligible speech?

Posted by: viejo1 | August 25, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Although there is surely negatives to point to about the Kennedy family, they have been and are still the most amazing dedicated servants of the public.

Like wanting to see my favor movie(s), listen to my favorite song(s), read my favorite book(s), I am looking forward to hearing tonight Caroline Bouvier Kennedy Schlossberg speak at the DNC in Denver 08,

Posted by: jerry rubin | August 25, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Fairfax Voter:

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Client #10:

From another Founding Father, John Jay, in a letter addressed to John Murray dated October 12 1816, the Chief Justice wrote, "Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest, of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers."

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Is this truly svreader speaking?

"After a long rest, I have seen the error of my ways. I loved Hillary, but Obama is the choice now. For me and my family, its Obama and Biden this November.

Posted by: svreader | August 25, 2008 1:03 PM"

If this is you, svreader, I don't think it was any kind of "error" at all to support the candidate you loved and felt was best for our country and our party. As an Obama supporter, I want to thank you so much for opening your heart to support the Obama-Biden ticket. You honor it with your support. Thank you, thank you.

In my volunteering, I often meet other self-identified former Clinton supporters who have come to this decision, obviously with great thought, and I cannot thank and praise you enough. I believe I could have done the same if the tables had been turned, but I know how much we each put into our chosen candidates and that this has been awfully hard for those whose favored candidate did not prevail. I truly believe your support for Barack Obama and Joe Biden will make a difference and again, I thank you for it.

Posted by: Fairfax Voter | August 25, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

How can any woman feel good about that broken old fool, Kennedy, being dragged across the country to gain sympathy for Obama's failing campaign? I am a Republican, but also a woman, a smart woman.
Read my words ladies: kennedy drove off a creek-bridge and left a woman drowning in his car. The "swimmer" then hid out until morning before calling his lawyer who he told to, "fix it." Is this your hero?
Yeck!!! Dispicable old man.
Shame on you ladies, regardless of your political stripe.

Posted by: Mindy | August 25, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Lots of Hate as usual on WAPO's blog. There is hope though; "svreader" has seen the light :-). Way to go svreader--and just to show there's mutual respect, I'm pulling for Hillary to fill the first vacancy on the Supreme Court in Obama's presidency. Can't think of a better person to fill the position.

Posted by: Beingsensible | August 25, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm so glad he will be present. The senator is living out these months since the diagnosis with what Hemingway aptly called "grace under pressure." A model to us all when we, too, face similar circumstances. I am proud to have him in our party. Thank you, Senator Kennedy.

Posted by: Fairfax Voter | August 25, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Amazing! A wimpy, brain dead liberal using any forum it can find to spew forth blind hatred! This story isn't even about McCain you pinhead. You're a real class act JakeD's shadow! Making fun of McCain's intelligence and Romney's religion. What a tolerant...creature you are! I wonder if you had the same vitriolic hateful things to say when the messiah spoke of the 58 states, or referenced Biden as the "next president of the United States?" Care to elaborate how McCain is a moron? I'm sure you can't type more than 4 or 5 words a minute but if you start now, you may have something coherent written by the end of the week

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 11:21 AM
----------------------------------------
I don't get you Repukes; you are like little boys on the play ground touting and making fun of everyone acting like little girls--actually acting much worst than little girls. But as soon as someone mocks you back, you stomp off like a little kid calling names as if you hadn't attempted to insult them 20 times prior. You say simple sh*t and lie without even blinking then laugh like you know it's stupid. Grow the hell up Repukes; this is a Presidential election not a Cub Scout tug of war.

Posted by: I'ma Grown Up O.K.! | August 25, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

daytoncapri

And your ID "content" is?

Posted by: Abolhassan Bani Sadr | August 25, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

«There is so much to discuss- but non of it happens here.»

Then go somewhere else.

Good point was made-Burr and Hamilton settled their differences in a duel.

And ethel wasn't offended...

Posted by: Abolhassan Bani Sadr | August 25, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Here is an example of hate now---

So Ted the "lady Killer", is going open up the festivities,for the "Million Man Marxist March" ?

Goosestepping for, Herr Bin-Bama' in 08

Posted by: Bishop TuTu | August 25, 2008 1:35 PM

Posted by: ethel | August 25, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Are they going to drown a girl to honor him? If so, I hear Hillary is available.

Posted by: Hank | August 25, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Goosestepping for, Herr Bin-Bama' in 08

Posted by: Bishop TuTu | August 25, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Don't be silly- I'm sure you know hateful when you see it and read it.

Yes- we'll all miss Tim, a guy who actually did insist on civil discourse, even as he asked tough questions. It would be fantastic if everyone posting here asked themselves "What would Tim think/say." If we all just thought of him as the moderator, since the Post doesn't do it for us...

ethel:

Is it "hateful" to point out that Caroline Kennedy declined to answer questions or that I miss Tim Russert?

Posted by: ethel-- | August 25, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Whos next, CHARLES MANSON??

Posted by: yojoe | August 25, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

If there are spirited discussions on this board that offend your sensibilities then you would do well to read about the history of Presidential campaigns.

They've always been dirty. People are always supercharged. It is an American Tradition.

Whitewash it if you want. Try to pretend that impassioned people are always going to have rational discussions all you want. But this board is reality. It would have been incredible if there had been technology like this 200 years ago, and we had access to what the Burr people, scandalous as they were, were doing and saying behind the scenes.

Posted by: High Horse Doesn't Work Here | August 25, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

ethel:

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I actually manage a blog that encourages thoughtful discussion on tough issues, and read many national news sources and comment sections daily. The Post has good political coverage, but I have to remind myself to never look at the comments as they are so dominated by extreme haters. Yes, there are some thoughtful comments, but there is so much sewer to wade through to get to it.

As a mainstream respected news source, the Washington Post stands alone in it's inability to manage all of the out of control hateful posts on virtually any subject having anything to do with politics or political figures. I am a strong believer in first amendment rights, but if people express this right by continuous flaming, the is no possibility of moving forward on any important issues in our culture.

There is so much to discuss- but non of it happens here.

Posted by: ethel | August 25, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Love you Kennedy!! God bless!! :)

Posted by: Obama2008 | August 25, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Did McCain really dump his first wife for Cindy while wife number 1 had cancer and was fighting for her life? I guess McCain believes a couple of years as a POW gives one the right to do and say anything.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

[QUOTE BY Anonymous]:
Please tell me what McSame and Bush has done except killed thousands of civilians and over 4,000 American soldiers in Iraq? Most of these soldiers were 19 - 22 age group. They did not get to enjoy life like you are doing right now.

The American people cannot afford four more years of lies and deceptions from McSame.

This Navy family and more will vote for President Obama.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 12:42 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anonymous,
Your inquiry was to another veteran/serviceperson. I hope he answers you, but since I was in Iraq in 06/07, I'll answer your question too.

4000 Americans in Iraq and over 3000 Americans in New York City and Washington DC were killed by an international enemy who declared war against us. Since then, we have killed many times that number around the world in what is truly a Global War on Terror, gained a wealth of enemy intelligence that benefits us to this day, and secured the heart of the Middle East from al-Qaida who is now on the run and seeking safety outside of the Middle East. The Armed Forces have also put North Korea, Iran and Syria in check, maintained a strong global presence, and has done all of this in spite of Obama, Reid, Pelosi, Kennedy, and the usual line up of traitors in the Congress who spoke and worked against us, and a deceptive Press who is only now acknowledging our successes in Iraq.

You may vote for Obama if you choose. Your Navy son, daughter, husband, or wife, and a lot of us have made that right possible. Just remember, “Senator” Obama hasn’t won yet, and isn’t likely to given his smelly baggage that follows him wherever he goes.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

It may be time for Democrats to "swim for it." If they need to drag a chemo-withered Kennedy,who left Mary Jo drowning in his car and hid until morning before calling his lawyer, onto the convention floor to get the liberal women's vote, they are rearranging the chairs on the deck of the titantic.

Posted by: Samantha | August 25, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Client #10,

I couldn't agree with you more. Abraham Lincoln, who is notorious for raging against people who wanted to earn their living off the sweat of others, would have been PISSED at how the Bush Administration is forcing and increasing percentage of young people in their country to, what amounts to indentured servitude.

Play out the numbers, and run them forward ten years. With no educational and health care excellence, and huge student debt, we are becoming less competitive as China and India are coming online in a global, knowledge-based economy.

The Repulicans, with their tax cuts for the top 1%, have absolutely screwed the next generation of the middle class. Anyone who doesn't see that is blind. And the people who see that but continue with their greedy ways, and who are knowingly selling out our future, can go to hell.

Posted by: Deep Blue | August 25, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: svreader | August 25, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

to ethel

You are correct to criticize. The poster who wrote "If you don't want to read the "vitriol" then don't click on this site." Would make a better use of time to stay off the site, as he/she really has nothing of value to say -as evidenced by the response to you and the zero-content id.

Posted by: daytoncapri | August 25, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Client #10:

Are you SURE that no Founding Father (i.e. Patrick Henry and Samuel Adams, or even Abe Lincoln for that matter) wanted to "force" Christianity into the political dialogue? 51 of the 55 delegates to the Constitutional Convention were Christians. The denominational affiliation of these men is a matter of public record. Among the delegates were 28 Episcopalians, 8 Presbyterians, 7 Congregationalists, 2 Lutherans, 2 Dutch Reformed, 2 Methodists, 2 Roman Catholics, 1 unknown and only 3 deists -- Williamson, Wilson and Franklin -- this at a time when church membership entailed a sworn public confession of biblical faith. (John Eidsmoe, Christianity and the Constitution, (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1987), p. 43.) Indeed, most were Calvinists (the Presbyterians and the Dutch Reformed), considered by some to be the most extreme and dogmatic form of Christianity at the time.

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

JCUSMC,

This Navy family and more will vote for President Obama.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

To "ethel":

You're "guilty" of posting here too. If you don't want to read the "vitriol" then don't click on this site.

Posted by: Abolhassan Bani Sadr | August 25, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

DUh...Who'd a thunk the Dems were going to pull the dying Kennedy tear jerker card?

Posted by: Dr. Dave | August 25, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

JFK said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

RFK said, "Some people look at things the way they are and say why. Others look at things the way they could be and say why not?"

Ted said, "You come here often?"

Posted by: Abolhassan Bani Sadr | August 25, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

For the past 20-30 years we have been witnessing the subtle decline of US influence in the world. Unfortunately the fall of the Soviet Union was not taken better advantage of politcally. Exactly what Ike warned this country about has come to fruition. The new conservatism based on greed and Jesus has led this country into a htateful divisivness. The goal of increasing the distance between the haves and the have-nots and realizing they have created a country so badly divided that, despite the words of Abe Lincoln. Trying to force Christianity into the politcal dialogue, which is not what the founding fathers ever intended, is having much the same effect as when the Roman rulers did much the same helping to lead to the fall of their empire. If we are a Christian country it is in name only. As a matter of policy we don't care about our brothers and sisters and have been the biggest war mongers in the last 50 years. It is so sad to see.

Posted by: Client #10 | August 25, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Kennedy is a womanizing old fool without a conscience. As liberal women, we condemn Republicans for being chavenistic without much cause.
Can you imagine if John McCain had left a party with a woman, rolled into a creek and left her drowning in the car while he swam away. the real telling thing about Kennedy is what he did afterwards. he hid out all night and called his lawyer in the morning and told him to "fix it."
Sorry ladies, but the Kennedy's are not your friends. They are not the gentlemen the press would have you believe in. Why would you respect Ed Kennedy?

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

To the colonel who stated Obama has done wonderful things for our troops, I would simply ask you to name one.

So Joe Biden is the "change you can believe in"? Really? Naming a guy who is a two-time presidential run loser and has been in congress TEN years longer than McCain is not much of a change. How sad for all you who have those dopey Hussein Obama signs in your front yard.

Posted by: JCUSMC | August 25, 2008 12:10 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tell it Marine,
The Obama campaign, and that includes their dwindling followers, are really angry and desperate at this point in the campaign. All the top Democrats from James Webb (D-Va) on down said a resounding NO to Obama when he came looking for a VP running mate. I guess Biden couldn't run fast enough.

Meanwhile, McCain will have the pick of the pick for VP, and a winning cabinet when he walks into the White House.

Posted by: Back From Iraq | August 25, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

JCUSMC:

They think that Webb's backdoor attempts to weaken our troops (i.e. decrease the retention rates) are "good" for America.

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JCUSMC | August 25, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Obama-Junkie (from the original article):

"Kennedy will be the subject of a Ken Burns biographical film to be aired tonight in primetime at the convention and introduced by his niece Caroline Kennedy. The tribute was expected to be an emotional high point of the week ..."

(Emphasis Added) I was not the one to bring up Caroline. I did bring up Tim Russert, because he is someone I will miss.

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"What a tolerant...creature you are! I wonder if you had the same vitriolic hateful things to say"

It's clear in your post that uou spew vitriol even as you accuse someone else of vitriol. You have not advanced the discussion, you have polluted it further.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I love this country. I'd like to see a respectful exchange of views, and even - I want my opposition to be happy.

Whether I agree or disgree with your views, be assured of this : I disagree strongly with your behavior in your response Mr/Ms anonymous.

Perhaps this wasn't voluntary and you are hopelessly susceptible to needling by other people. I prefer to think you are capable of better than that.

Posted by: daytoncapri | August 25, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I remember watching a nature film shown on the PBS TV.

Two grown-up birds competed energetically against each other to win the right to mate with a female. While they were fighting, a sneaky young bird attacked the female and mated with her.

The announcer of the document commented that the chicks born out of this mating will definitely have a sneaky character.

The undertakings by the Obama campaign in the primaries were sneaky and evil taking advantage of the loopholes in the undemocratic system of the Democratic Party.

All the future efforts of the group will surely be sneaky and evil.

Posted by: Nonpartisan | August 25, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh how I wish the Post managed the haters in these comment sections better.

Every time I reach the WAPO comments I am shocked by the number of horrible nasty mean spirited small people spend time hating on absolutely everything.

If your posts are vitriolic bile from the left or right, do you really think you are influencing anyone? Does it give you a rush to post hate diatribes daily? Look in the mirror. Get a life.

Posted by: ethel | August 25, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Teddy is a fighter. It takes a special spirit to get through brain surgery at 76 and still be that feisty. God bless you,

Posted by: Deep Blue | August 25, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I have a question for all the Republicans here. I understand that John McCain graduated 5th from the bottom (out of 800-900 kids) from the Naval Academy. That means he was a "D" student, right?
One of those guys who sits in the back of the room and makes dumb jokes about blonde girls, right? Didn't listen to the teacher talking about the US Constitution, couldn't learn the difference between "lift" and "drag" (jokes about blond girls), couldn't distinguish "aileron" from "missile launcher" and that's why he
crashed so many airplanes, right? Is that why Republicans picked him? The word "Hussein" won't help you to answer this question.

Posted by: Richardo | August 25, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Sorry the man has a brain tumor, but I wonder sometimes if he is sorry for killing the young lady he was having an extramarital affair with when he drove drunk off that bridge, then left he to die. The Kennedys are not a family to honor; their history is damn bad, starting with Joe Sr. who liked the Nazis, then the womanizing John and Robert. Caroline Kennedy is being treated by the Democratic Party as she is a brain on politics. Bullsh..

Posted by: Evelyn | August 25, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

OBAMAS politics of the NEW? KENNEDY-BIDEN. I'll take old Johnny boy thank you.

Posted by: joe clark | August 25, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Obama drags Kennedy from his deathbed so Lord Obama can be coronated heir to the Kennedy cache... how magnaminous.

Watch Kennedy die right there on the stage to the horror of everyone present.

That Obama... a real winner, that one.

When Hell freezes over.

Posted by: xbjllb | August 25, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

OBAMA BIDEN is a great duo and the anonymous poster who thinks Gore will come and take the top spot needs to send me some of whatever he is smoking. Anyone who would listen to someone who posts anonymous like a coward needs to get educated. My family is strongly backing Obama because he has done great things for our nations troops as opposed to John Mc Cain who tried to derail the improved GI Bill authored by Senator Jim Webb. Shameful trying to pander to the George W. Bush crowd. Mc Cain now a puppet of Karl Rove and Steve Schmidt the dynamic duo of lie and smear till you make it. Not this time boys America is wise to your ways. YES WE MUST ELECT OBAMA BIDEN!!

Posted by: Col Jack Whittington US Army | August 25, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

"Can't wait for McCain to pick Romney...
Rich and Richer, aka Moron and Mormon will cause the evangelicals to stay home

Posted by: JakeD's shadow | August 25, 2008 10:59 AM"

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back Sen.Kennedy,thank you for
your support in the beginning of this campain,You are really an example of your brother book Profiles in Courage!when I
think of the U.S history my mind goes to west point to that statue overlooking the
hudson of benedict Arnold,our framers
warn us of this,and it's still valid today.
No jobs for jealous Clinton sorry grapes
supports(republilicans plants this include
snake sleeper James Carville,how can we bar
him from our party. we are starting to get our team together,we are defining our objectives,in this ground war YES SIR!

Posted by: tyrone | August 25, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I find it absurd that Kennedy will be showcased by the DNC. He should at the very least be completing his parole from the manslaughter he commited while DUI. I would love to hear Obamas opinion on drunk drivers.

Posted by: sk | August 25, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Never doubted that the Old Lion would make it out to Denver for one last roar. What a wonderful, emotional ride it will be for all tonight!

Posted by: deedee | August 25, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Please - McCain - choose a younger VP. Thanks

Posted by: Rita Hooker | August 25, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait for McCain to pick Romney...
Rich and Richer, aka Moron and Mormon will cause the evangelicals to stay home

Posted by: JakeD's shadow | August 25, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Wonder if Gore will suddenly steal the nomination as he will be speaking on Thursday night, the same time as Obama?

According to outside sources, Gore may be installed as Prez because Obama's job was to rid of Hillary. Once done, he is to be disposed of via his own generated scandals (Sinclair sex, murder, Rezko, Iraqi billionaire, etc.) Gore may have about 100 superdelegates in his back pocket just for this cause so no candidate will have enough to win and he can take advantage of the contempt, chaos and confusion of dem convention, etc.

The roll call is a dem tradition since the 1880's. It provides all candidates a chance to be officially nominated by the all delegates. President FDR's name was placed in the ballot in 1932 and won on the 4th ballot. The rest is history. The roll call should go on. It is the procedure and part of process of Democratic system.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

BEST WISHES Senator Kennedy! Obama will carry the torch for you. Take care of yourself for now.

McCain's nerve is only excited at "war". He has no interests in economy.

Posted by: leighg1 | August 25, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

To Obama-junkie

The comment zone in the Washington Post is a zone of anarchy. Nobody sticks to the topic and there are no monitors to herd us back onto the path. Frankly, that's one of the things I enjoy about it.

Posted by: Helena Montana | August 25, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Why is a posting about Ted Kennedy drawing comments not about Ted Kennedy?

Simply amazing. We have JakeD commenting about Caroline Kennedy and MEET THE PRESS. And we have Anonomyous commenting about Obama and big money accussations.

This is why America is on the down slope in terms of World Statue. We can't focus on the issues that really matter.

Obama in 08!

Posted by: Obama-Junkie | August 25, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Ted Kennedy has put on a lot of miles since Mary Jo drowned in his car and he swam away and then ran away, only to call his lawyer the next morning to fix it.
Still, he won't leave the stage until death takes his miserable soul. Outside of the glitzy phoney world of a quickly fading Camelot, he is just a drunk with more money than brains. An empty old man who never believed what he said and never said what he believed.

Posted by: Larry | August 25, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Every thinking American, misses Tim Russert this political season. Mr. Obama needs to regain his own magic this week and remind people just why we really do need a real change. If that means pinning the GOP candidate squarely onto the past failed policies of misplaced tax breaks for the wealthy, the oil and oil services companies, and the cronyism of the past, so be it!

Posted by: DaveinStLouis | August 25, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

DOES THE CONVENTION STAGE LOOK LIKE AMERICAN IDOL ??

IS THAT ON PURPOSE ?? DAVID AXELROD PRODUCTIONS!!

THEY THINK THIS IS AMERICAN IDOL ? YUP.

LET'S JUST CALL IT THE EGO-RAMA

AND PAID FOR BY VERIZON AND AT&T AFTER OBAMA VOTED FINE WITH FISA - WARRANTLESS WIRETAPPING ON AMERICAN CITIZENS

GET IT AMERICA

WAKE UP

THIS GUY IS A TOTAL SELL OUT

LISTEN TO AMY GOODMAN OF DEMOCRACY NOW

BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE AND WE HAVE ANOTHER DONE NOTHING INCOMPETENT PUPPET BOYS CLUB PUPPET TAKING ORDERS FROM THE DC POWER BROKERS

OBAMA ROLLS OVER FOR BIG MONEY EVERYWHERE YOU LOOK

AND

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Caroline Kennedy, yesterday on Meet the Press, "declined" to answer whether Hillary was given any serious consideration for the VP spot. I miss Tim Russert.

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse