Maraniss on His Obama Biography

Note: Please upgrade your Flash plug-in to view our enhanced content.

In this washingtonpost.com video, David Maraniss, Washington Post Pulitzer prize winner reporter and bestselling author, talks about his in-depth look at Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama.

Read his story here: "Though Obama Had to Leave to Find Himself, It Is Hawaii That Made His Rise Possible".

By Web Politics Editor  |  August 22, 2008; 12:28 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama , Video Report
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Young Evangelical Backs Out of Giving Convention Opening Prayer
Next: Waiting for Obama

Comments

MCCAIN THE RACIST:

MCCAIN ABOUT ASIANS: "I HATE THE GOOKS, I WILL HATE THEM ALL MY LIFE"

MCCAIN ABOUT BLACKS: "I VOTED AGAINST MLK DAY BECAUSE THIS MAN MADE NEGROES STAY DEPENDENT OF WELFARE" (1979)

MCCAIN'S PASTOR HAGGEE ABOUT JEWS: "GOD SENT HITLER TO SLAUGHTER THOSE DIRTY JEWS AND HE DID US A GREAT FAVOR"(~2000)

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't need a book to tell me that Obama is a communist, racist, and hypocritical gut that should have never made it this far into the elections. You want the facts? go to youtube and search "I invented the internet"

Posted by: ICEman | August 22, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I bought (one copy) and read the book.

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

The book itself did not have much influence. The coverage of the book was what influenced people.

The book was merely an opportunity for the Republican machine to get its false message into the MSM 'echo chamber'.

Not many people read the book.

The same thing this year, only this year, the MSM refused the debunked claims as the trash that they are.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't get paid to post here (I'm retired with plenty of time to waste here, when I'm not golfing). I also never said "effect". I used your same word: "influence". You, of course, are under no obligation to answer my questions.

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

How much do you get paid to post here, JakeD? Where does the money come from for that? Is it directly from the campaign or a special interest group?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Who said anything about effect? That wasn't part of my argument. More straw-man fallacy from JakeD.

And even if it did have an effect 4 years ago, it wasn't because people bought and read the book. People who voted for Bush are not exactly astute readers. They probably think book stores are snooty and high falutin'.

The effect was due to the same process as what the Republican smear machine is trying to do again this year:

-Print a book filled with lies, unsubstantiated rumors and false characterizations

-Spend enough of their 'war fund' to get the book into the best seller position to give it some traction

-Hit the 'echo chamber' with the same (false) talking points.

Unfortunately, that seems to have fallen flat this year. The media didn't buy into the BS and now here you are, as part of that machine, desperate to try to give some more traction to the book.

Good day, sir.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

So, no actual name then? You probably think that "Unfit for Command" didn't have that much influence in 2004 too?

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"As for Obama books, why nothing from Jerome Corsi and his BESTSELLER?"

I don't think bulk-purchases have that much of an influence.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Good job, Anonymous. Maybe you can actually pick a name now?

As for Obama books, why nothing from Jerome Corsi and his BESTSELLER?

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Everybody wants to make money. I quess I need to write a Bio of Barack.

Posted by: Book writer | August 22, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse