McCain, at American Legion, Questions Obama's View of America

By Michael D. Shear
PHOENIX -- Sen. John McCain questioned his Democratic rival's belief in American leadership Tuesday, accusing Sen. Barack Obama of demonstrating confusion about the country's moral standing around the world.

McCain said Obama has failed to challenge world criticism which sows doubts about America's greatness, and he ridiculed the Democrat's call for "a world that stands as one" in his Berlin speech last month.

"The Cold War ended not because the world stood 'as one,' but because the great democracies came together, bound together by sustained and decisive American leadership," McCain said to members of the American Legion at their 90th annual national convention here.

An Obama spokesman said it was ridiculous to think that the Democratic nominee does not believe in American world leadership and accused McCain of breaking his vow to run a respectable campaign.

"The 'confusion' here is between John McCain rhetoric that no one's love of country should be questioned and the reality of his campaign's daily, false, personal and detestable attacks on Senator Obama," spokesman Hari Sevugan said. "But it's not a surprising tactic from John McCain, who is offering four more years of Karl Rove's playbook to distract from his plan for four more years of George Bush's failed policies, which have left America far less secure and shredded our alliances in the world."

The McCain campaign has repeatedly sought to question Obama's foreign policy judgment and experience even as their candidate insists he is not challenging the Democrat's patriotism.

In Rochester, New Hampshire last month, he accused Obama of putting his desire to win in November ahead of the lives of soldiers. "It seems to me that Obama would rather lose a war in order to win a political campaign," he said.

Tuesday's speech was an equally tough, if broader, critique of Obama's worldview.

In his address to the veterans, McCain said Obama was "the picture of confidence" in Berlin, but he added that "confidence itself and confidence in one's country are not the same." His prepared remarks listed the sentence as beginning with "confidence in oneself."

McCain said that oppressed nations look to America for leadership and hope. "When they talk about our country, it is not with distrust or disdain, but with respect and affection. They do not resent or resist America's democratic influence in the world -- they thank God for it."

McCain also slammed Obama for appearing to suggest that the U.S. invasion of Iraq had invited the Russian incursion into neighboring Georgia. McCain quoted Obama's early response to the Russian action, noting that the Democrat said "they can't charge into other countries. Of course, it helps if we are leading by example on that point."

"If I catch Senator Obama's drift, then, our failure to 'lead by example' was the liberation of Iraq," McCain said. "And if he really thinks that, by liberating Iraq from a dangerous tyrant, America somehow set a bad example that invited Russia to invade a small, peaceful, and democratic nation, then he should state it outright -- because that is a debate I welcome."

Obama aides rejected the thesis of McCain's speech and pointed to the same Berlin address as evidence that the Republican was twisting Obama's words into something they never were meant to be.

In the speech in Germany, Obama said that "just as American bases built in the last century still help to defend the security of this continent, so does our country still sacrifice greatly for freedom around the globe."

Obama's view of America has been a frequent theme in the 2008 campaign. During the primary, adversaries raised questions about why he didn't wear a flag pin and why he had not put his hand over his heart during the National Anthem. His wife, Michelle, was criticized for a comment that some took to suggest that she only recently came to love America.

As a result, Obama has repeatedly gone out of his way to express his feelings about his country.

In the Berlin speech, for example, he says, "I also know how much I love America. I know that for more than two centuries, we have strived -- at great cost and great sacrifice -- to form a more perfect union; to seek, with other nations, a more hopeful world."

Sevugan said Obama has "called for strong American leadership and renewing strong alliances to finish the fight against al Qaeda and press Russia to live up to its obligations."

Obama is scheduled to speak to the American Legion convention on Wednesday.

By Web Politics Editor  |  August 26, 2008; 4:43 PM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Barack Obama , John McCain , National Security
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Party City, Colorado
Next: Romney Confronts His Own Criticisms of McCain

Comments

I am an independent observer. McCain's comments over the last few months have convinced me now. I typically do not like negative campaigning, but the Obama people (and Joe Biden) need to make this clear:
McCain escalates every world crisis. He will trigger an international confrontation. It is sad to say but he is a warmonger. I say it with great sadness because I was expecting much more and have been greatly disappointed with his rhetoric. America needs to use its power wisely to be effective. It cannot seek to intervene everywhere. It must reserve its strength for intervention in situations that are important to the US. I do not want America's power to be thinly spread across the world and squandered.

Posted by: Independent | August 27, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

If Obama becomes POTUS, he will have a rude awakening. As a community organizer, a liberal legislator in Illinois, and a cherry Senator - Barack has been able to play the ultimate pragmatic outsider. More because he's been able to avoid difficult decisions than out of deeply held convictions. But as POTUS, he'll have to make those decisions - you know, the zero-sum type. He'll have to represent this country, and I don't know that the same guy who sat in Rev. Wright's pews for 20 years will be an "America First" type of guy.

Posted by: David | August 27, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Way to go Obama Spam-bots, and kool-aid drinkers.

Though it's likely past your bedtime, now.

Posted by: Reality | August 26, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I find McCain’s criticism of Obama’s world view ridicule and his interpretation of the Cold War incorrect. First of all, on the military front, the United States and its allies were not winning and barely managed to contain Communism from spreading. The US Navy protected Taiwan from invasion by mainland China. UN forces held Red Chinese and North Korean forces at the DMZ. In Indochina, American ally the French lost to the Vietminh. Later the US would have to abandon its ally South Vietnam to advancing Communist North Vietnam. Hence, Senator McCain was spreading misinformation to the American Legion that the US was winning the war because of decisive leadership.

During the Cold War, the Communist Bloc spent huge amounts of money for the military buildup which cost them. As a result, the Soviet Union was dissolved in the early nineties. Similarly, Red China had to employ the PLA to crush a civilian uprising against its militaristic rule in 1989. Today, the Russians and the Chinese have learned that investing on its own domestic civilian industries is the best way to beat your enemies.

To sum up, American voters are facing 2 different visions of America this fall election. Is it going to be a militaristic America under John McCain or is it an economically strong America espousing the cherished middle class values of individual liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Posted by: My V. Nguyen | August 26, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Ridiculous! Team Obama has to start doing better than that. Attack! Throw out the red meat! The dogs are hungry. Team Obama, what do the numbers mean at http://www.bop-o-rama.com. You are on a steady march to 1,000,000 on the Bop-O-Meter. Google bop-o-rama for more.

Posted by: acarponzo | August 26, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Why does Barama, his nutty wife and preacher, spend so much time and energy disrespecting white people? What's that all about?

Posted by: Jillianna | August 26, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Somewhere between 75 and 85% of the American people think the country is (and has been) headed in the wrong direction.

Somewhere between 70 and 75% think John McCain is nothing more than Bush3.

Well, at least those who voted twice already for Bush will be happy to vote for him a 3rd time, but the rest of the county does not share that view.

And, that's why McCain's campaign is all about Obama, and not about McCain. Even McCain is running away from Bush3.

Posted by: WILL | August 26, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

I suspect McCain wouldn't like my vision of America either - it's certainly more cynical and much less hopeful than Obama's and not as addlepated as McCain's. I see a country that still clings to a golden past while refusing to do anything about the tarnish that has developed; I see a country divided by bigotry, hate, and xenophobia; I see a country where might makes right and the wealthy believe the world belongs to them alone; I see a country where those who work hard day in and day out are ridiculed for being "stupid" or "hillbilly"; I see a country where being a woman means having the government between your legs; and I see a country where gun rights are more important than human rights. I see a country called America. . . but I don't see America.

Posted by: Bev | August 26, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I like it when these Obamabots tell me that I am a racist simply because I do not support Obama ... being labeled a racist is far better than voting for someone who could possibly destroy everything our country has achieved!

Posted by: Francisco Cardenas | August 26, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Terry:

You have a bigger "wallet" than Cindy McCain (and Mitt Romney combined)?

Posted by: JakeD | August 26, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Keep pouring it on John and I'll keep donating, canvassing, letter writing, and talking about what the country really needs, a new direction, away from the real unpatriotic party. Away from the shoot from the hip, I've got a bigger gun, mouth, wallet than you! Away from the I am more patriotic because I support my President's policies and you don't. Away from the parsing, dicing, change the meaning political garbage, that Rove made famous and that smells more now, than when he first spewed it.

True patriotism comes when people stand up and say, Enough! And that is what the brave did 232 years ago, and that is exactly what I and millions of my fellow Americans will do in November. But we will do it with out guns or blood, something a Republican could never understand.

The losers, come January, will still have their lives. God Bless the Ones who gave them that option.

Posted by: Terry | August 26, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Terry | August 26, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

A NOUN, A VERB AND POW - a preview of the upcoming debates between Senator Obama and Senator McCain.

Moderator: Senator Obama, Senator McCain, thank you for coming before the American public to present your policies and reveal your thoughts on America's many many challenges in the 21st century. And without further ado we shall jump right into the first question which is directed at the good Senator from Arizona. Senator McCain, would you please tell us your position on leaving Iraq?

McCain: I was a POW at the Hanoi Hilton. I'm against it.

Moderator: Excuse me Senator but what does being a POW have to do with Iraq?

McCain: Nothing and I was a POW at the Hanoi Hilton for 5 long agonizing years.

Moderator: Yes, I understand.....Senator? Do you need a hanky? Perhaps some time to collect yourself?

McCain: No no....sniffle....it's nothing. You should try spending 5 years as a POW being tortured.

Moderator: Well, my heart goes out to you Senator. Perhaps we should move onto another question.

McCain: Yes, that would be nice.

Moderator: Please tell me then Senator McCain, what is your position on abortion.

McCain: When I was a POW in Vietnam, I always thought how precious life is and how evil abortion is - even in the case of rape.

Moderator: I see. And so you would appoint a conservative pro-life judge to the Supreme Court?

McCain: Definitely. But before that I would return to Vietnam and tour the hell hole that I was imprisoned in for 5 long years - all for the sake of our great nation.

Moderator: I see.......Senator Obama, could you please tell the viewers your position on abortion.

Obama: I believe every woman has the right to choose, especially I might add, in the case of rape. I will not nominate a judge that does not take into consideration the rights of individuals. And I refuse to support a State that seeks to assert its will over it's citizens.

Moderator: Thank you Senator. Now I will turn to Senator McCain. According to most experts, your plan to drill for oil would do little if anything to bring down the price of gas for the next 10-12 years. Why do you remain steadfast in supporting a bill to open up environmentally sensitive areas in the Outer Continental Shelf?

McCain: When I was a POW I use to think if I had a drill I could drill a hole and get out of this rat hole. No human should have to suffer as I did during those awful years. But of course I endured it all for God and Country - for 5 excruciating years! Did I mention 5 years?

Moderator: Repeatedly.

McCain: Well anyway, if I had a drill I would bore a hole in the earth and tunnel my way out. And if I hit oil all the better.

Moderator: That is your answer, Senator?

McCain: Yes.

Moderator: Senator Obama?

Obama: First we have to start developing alternative sources of energy with an effective infrastructure to wean America off oil. We can no longer allow our dependency on foreign oil dictate foreign policy. It's time for America to move into Solar Energy, Wind Energy, Bio-fuel, Wave Energy and Geothermal Power. However, drilling in the Outer Continental Shelf will yield little if any benefits to the consumer; that isn't however to say that an energy bill couldn't be crafted to utilize off shore oil reserves as long as strict environmental guidelines are in place. But this would have to be supplemental to a strong Alternative Energy Plan - not paramount to it. However, it is also incumbent on oil companies to start drilling on the millions of acres already leased to them, areas which have already been cleared by the EPA.

Moderator: Thank you Senator Obama for that concise answer. And now lets move onto Social Security. Senator McCain, at the current rate, by 2012, Social Security will pay out more in benefits than it collects in revenues. This is a serious matter since it could cause Social Security to go bankrupt and in turn threaten America's many old.....

McCain: Did you say old? You know, when I was a POW and sitting in a small dank 6 by 8 cell for 5 brutal years, I use to think 'God I feel old. Americans don't know how lucky they got it. No social security when you are rotting in prison for the good of your country.'

Moderator: And.....you are for?

McCain: Privatizing Social Security.

Moderator: I see. Senator Obama?

Obama: We have ignored Social Security too long and when I am president...

McCain: Excuse me but can I go to the bathroom....as a POW all I had to do was go stand in the corner and relieve myself. Sure it wasn't very hygienic but it was for the good of our nation. Any patriotic American would have done the same thing. If I had to do it all over again I would do it in a heart beat. That's what makes a good president - patriotism.........

Moderator: Thank.....thank....you.....please stop Senator and let Senator Obama answer the.....Senator Mc.....McCain........

McCain: ............I remember once while drawing crosses on the floor of that dirty, smelly cell and said to myself no one deserves the Presidency more than me - someone who suffered so dearly for their country. And be damned if I'm going to let America forget it about it. That's why I want to privatize Social Security. And another thing, when I was a POW for 5.................................

Posted by: woody | August 26, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

JOHN MCCAIN, TRAITOR TO HIS COUNTRY, COLLABORATOR WITH THE ENEMY, MILITARY DISGRACE.
Ted Sampley, a Vietnam Veteran and former Green Beret, issued a CHALLENGE to John McCain "If you can show us that the information presented in our mailer is untruthful . . . we will Stand Down" This CHALLENGE was issued during an interview with INSIDE EDITION on January 17, 2008.
John, family members of Vietnam POW/MIA(s) have been waiting for more then 14 years for you to have the courage to face them eye to eye in front of the American Public - Here is your opportunity for some "STRAIGHT TALK." Stop hiding behind your fabricated "War Hero" persona. You know we can prove your collaborations with declassified government documents . . . It is time for the American people to get to know the REAL John McCain - the John McCain that the POW/MIA families witnessed during the 1991-93 US Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs .
Bring It On John! HERE IS OUR NUMBER 252-527-0442
*********** ************* ************** *********** ***********
Activists accused McCain of stonewalling the release of POW records because they contained evidence he had collaborated with the North Vietnamese.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

It turns out that this isn't the first time the issue of John McCain's lavish multiple residences has emerged in the heat of a campaign.

Eldon Smith, it turned out, was John McCain.

www.dailykos.com

Posted by: LH | August 26, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Sure I cheated on my first wife with Cindy after returning from Vietnam. But, my friends, it was hard work! You think it's easy nailing a hot blonde heiress almost twenty years younger than you? Being a POW goes a looong way, but you better believe I had to polish my game.

Posted by: The Real McCain | August 26, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

If I read the article correctly, the Obama Team continues to play the game by the rules McCain sets. That's how the junior Senator from Illinois gets to spend the next four years in the Senate.

Obama needs some adults with experience in running national elections in order to respond to McCain and move the debate to McCain and his votes and positions. Being nice or respectful earns you only defeat.

Sorry Obama and fans, but maybe Hillary was the one after all.

Posted by: Its Getting Late! | August 26, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Even if i were a clinging Hillary supporter i couldent bring myself to vote for mccain something about him is just creepy, but they only care that mccains white like their darling Hillary.

Posted by: sharon | August 26, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sharon | August 26, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sharon | August 26, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh great...the American Legion?? Go into one of their buildings. It's a bunch of guys over 60 who just want to sit around, complain about their benefits, and drink at the bar. These guys were chosen because they never read a newspaper or a book. They are just the audience for a guy who votes with Bush 95% of the time and wants to stay in Iraq for 100 years!

Posted by: LH | August 26, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

McCain is like a Communist attacking reformers like Obama as unsettling "a view of America" like bringing reform is like changing the teachings of Chairman Mao in China. McCain is an idiot if he got shot down in Vietnam so he could bad mouth people who want to change America. What the heck was he fighting for?

Posted by: Paul Nolan | August 26, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Check out this parody of cindy mccain if john boy wants to talk about american values ....

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Apparently John McCain has not been keeping up with the international polls that have shown a dramatic drop in respect for the U.S.A. When others see the U.S. start a war of choice against someone who had not threatened us does make others worry because we are the only superpower in the world. Our rhetoric and our actions during the past eight years have wasted years of goodwill that the U.S.A. had built up in the world. McCain's words only show how much he and "W" are joined at the hip. There is no wonder that McCain has invited into his campaign the likes of those who ran the Swiftboat Veterans for Truth. So much for showing respect for a true war hero.

The U.S. has no moral high ground to use against Russia who claims to be supporting some regions claiming to be under pressure from a hostile government. We go half way around the world to start a war. Russia is having to deal with an issue on its border.

McCain keeps talking about his POW experience. However, he has yet to say what he plans to do with returning vets who are homeless and have mental illness. He votes against veterans benefits.

Posted by: Earl C | August 26, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

The Obama nuts are seriously scared of defeat.

Posted by: John | August 26, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Who Is Eldon Smith?

Why, that would be none other than John McCain:

"In 1986, when then-Rep. McCain was running for the Senate seat vacated by Barry Goldwater, he quietly began remodeling a $500,000 house in central Phoenix owned by his wealthy father-in-law James Hensley. The $225,000 project -- which included the construction of a 4,000-square-foot addition, swimming pool, jacuzzi, cabana and barbecue -- held political peril for McCain, who was already fighting charges that he was as an opportunistic carpertbagger."

"The new house was located in Phoenix's fourth congressional district -- outside of the first district in Tempe which he represented at the time."

"AP caught wind of the work at 7110 North Central Ave. shortly before the general election and dispatched a reporter to examine blueprints at the planning department. They found the permit applicants were listed as Hensley and a mysterious "Mr. Smith."

"The reporter tracked down McCain's plumber, who told him he'd been told Mr. Smith's first name was "Eldon."

"Eldon Smith, it turned out, was John McCain."

full story here:

Good old "Eldon"...I mean John, didn't want people to know that he was planning to leave his congressional district - and also wanted to hide the cost of his lavish quarter-million dollar rennovation plans - so he came up with a ridiculous nom de maison, hoping to keep his plans buried under a sockpuppet. Of course, this might help explain why he lost track of the number of homes he's got.

Barack Obama has been remarkably open about his entire life story - a bio which has been subjected to endless scrutiny. But if there's anyone whose background we should be "unsure" of, it's John McCain's. I, for one, would like to learn about what else he's done in his life under an assumed name.

Posted by: Drain You | August 26, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Who Is Eldon Smith?

Why, that would be none other than John McCain:

"Eldon Smith, it turned out, was John McCain."

full story here:

Posted by: Drain You | August 26, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Who Is Eldon Smith?

Why, that would be none other than John McCain:

"Eldon Smith, it turned out, was John McCain."

full story here:

Posted by: Drain You | August 26, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Who Is Eldon Smith?

Why, that would be none other than John McCain:

"Eldon Smith, it turned out, was John McCain."

full story here:

Posted by: Drain You | August 26, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Who Is Eldon Smith?

Why, that would be none other than John McCain:

"Eldon Smith, it turned out, was John McCain."

full story here:

Posted by: Drain You | August 26, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Who Is Eldon Smith?

Why, that would be none other than John McCain:

"Eldon Smith, it turned out, was John McCain."

full story here:

Posted by: Drain You | August 26, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Who Is Eldon Smith?

Why, that would be none other than John McCain:

"Eldon Smith, it turned out, was John McCain."

full story here:

Posted by: Drain You | August 26, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Who Is Eldon Smith?

Why, that would be none other than John McCain:

"Eldon Smith, it turned out, was John McCain."

full story here:

Posted by: Drain You | August 26, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Who Is Eldon Smith?

Why, that would be none other than John McCain:

"Eldon Smith, it turned out, was John McCain."

full story here:

Posted by: Drain You | August 26, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Who Is Eldon Smith?

Why, that would be none other than John McCain:

"Eldon Smith, it turned out, was John McCain."

full story here:

Posted by: Drain You | August 26, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Who Is Eldon Smith?

Why, that would be none other than John McCain:

"Eldon Smith, it turned out, was John McCain."

full story here:

Posted by: Drain You | August 26, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Today, at the University of Illinois at Chicago Library, news organizations and other interested parties gathered to start examining 137 boxes containing 900 files re: Obama's work with the Chicago Annenberg Challange, a non-profit group founded to help reform Chicago schools back in the 1990s, for which Obama was chairman of the board. Among those who founded the group was William Ayers, now 63, who helped start the radical 1960s group the Weather Underground, also known as the Weathermen.

Posted by: JakeD | August 26, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

The wife U.S. Republican John McCain callously left behind
By SHARON CHURCHER
The Daily Mail, 8 June 2008

Now that Hillary Clinton has at last formally withdrawn from the race for the White House, the eyes of America and the world will focus on Barack Obama and his Republican rival Senator John McCain.

While Obama will surely press his credentials as the embodiment of the American dream – a handsome, charismatic young black man who was raised on food stamps by a single mother and who represents his country’s future – McCain will present himself as a selfless, principled war hero whose campaign represents not so much a battle for the presidency of the United States, but a crusade to rescue the nation’s tarnished reputation.

McCain likes to illustrate his moral fibre by referring to his five years as a prisoner-of-war in Vietnam. And to demonstrate his commitment to family values, the 71-year-old former US Navy pilot pays warm tribute to his beautiful blonde wife, Cindy, with whom he has four children.

But there is another Mrs McCain who casts a ghostly shadow over the Senator’s presidential campaign. She is seldom seen and rarely written about, despite being mother to McCain’s three eldest children.

And yet, had events turned out differently, it would be she, rather than Cindy, who would be vying to be First Lady. She is McCain’s first wife, Carol, who was a famous beauty and a successful swimwear model when they married in 1965.

She was the woman McCain dreamed of during his long incarceration and torture in Vietnam’s infamous ‘Hanoi Hilton’ prison and the woman who faithfully stayed at home looking after the children and waiting anxiously for news.

But when McCain returned to America in 1973 to a fanfare of publicity and a handshake from Richard Nixon, he discovered his wife had been disfigured in a terrible car crash three years earlier. Her car had skidded on icy roads into a telegraph pole on Christmas Eve, 1969. Her pelvis and one arm were shattered by the impact and she suffered massive internal injuries.

When Carol was discharged from hospital after six months of life-saving surgery, the prognosis was bleak. In order to save her legs, surgeons had been forced to cut away huge sections of shattered bone, taking with it her tall, willowy figure. She was confined to a wheelchair and was forced to use a catheter.

Through sheer hard work, Carol learned to walk again. But when John McCain came home from Vietnam, she had gained a lot of weight and bore little resemblance to her old self.

Today, she stands at just 5ft4in and still walks awkwardly, with a pronounced limp. Her body is held together by screws and metal plates and, at 70, her face is worn by wrinkles that speak of decades of silent suffering.

For nearly 30 years, Carol has maintained a dignified silence about the accident, McCain and their divorce. But last week at the bungalow where she now lives at Virginia Beach, a faded seaside resort 200 miles south of Washington, she told The Mail on Sunday how McCain divorced her in 1980 and married Cindy, 18 years his junior and the heir to an Arizona brewing fortune, just one month later.

Carol insists she remains on good terms with her ex-husband, who agreed as part of their divorce settlement to pay her medical costs for life. ‘I have no bitterness,’ she says. ‘My accident is well recorded. I had 23 operations, I am five inches shorter than I used to be and I was in hospital for six months. It was just awful, but it wasn’t the reason for my divorce.

‘My marriage ended because John McCain didn’t want to be 40, he wanted to be 25. You know that happens...it just does.’

Some of McCain’s acquaintances are less forgiving, however. They portray the politician as a self-centred womaniser who effectively abandoned his crippled wife to ‘play the field’. They accuse him of finally settling on Cindy, a former rodeo beauty queen, for financial reasons.

McCain was then earning little more than £25,000 a year as a naval officer, while his new father-in-law, Jim Hensley, was a multi-millionaire who had impeccable political connections.

He first met Carol in the Fifties while he was at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis. He was a privileged, but rebellious scion of one of America’s most distinguished military dynasties – his father and grandfather were both admirals.

But setting out to have a good time, the young McCain hung out with a group of young officers who called themselves the ‘Bad Bunch’.

His primary interest was women and his conquests ranged from a knife-wielding floozy nicknamed ‘Marie, the Flame of Florida’ to a tobacco heiress.

Carol fell into his fast-living world by accident. She escaped a poor upbringing in Philadelphia to become a successful model, married an Annapolis classmate of McCain’s and had two children – Douglas and Andrew – before renewing what one acquaintance calls ‘an old flirtation’ with McCain.

It seems clear she was bowled over by McCain’s attention at a time when he was becoming bored with his playboy lifestyle.

‘He was 28 and ready to settle down and he loved Carol’s children,’ recalled another Annapolis graduate, Robert Timberg, who wrote The Nightingale’s Song, a bestselling biography of McCain and four other graduates of the academy.

The couple married and McCain adopted Carol’s sons. Their daughter, Sidney, was born a year later, but domesticity was clearly beginning

to bore McCain – the couple were regarded as ‘fixtures on the party circuit’ before McCain requested combat duty in Vietnam at the end of 1966.

He was assigned as a bomber pilot on an aircraft carrier in the Gulf of Tonkin.

What follows is the stuff of the McCain legend. He was shot down over Hanoi in October 1967 on his 23rd mission over North Vietnam and was badly beaten by an angry mob when he was pulled, half-drowned from a lake.

Over the next five-and-a-half years in the notorious Hoa Loa Prison he was regularly tortured and mistreated.

It was in 1969 that Carol went to spend the Christmas holiday – her third without McCain – at her parents’ home. After dinner, she left to drop off some presents at a friend’s house.

It wasn’t until some hours later that she was discovered, alone and in terrible pain, next to the wreckage of her car. She had been hurled through the windscreen.

After her first series of life-saving operations, Carol was told she may never walk again, but when doctors said they would try to get word to McCain about her injuries, she refused, insisting: ‘He’s got enough problems, I don’t want to tell him.’

H. Ross Perot, a billionaire Texas businessman, future presidential candidate and advocate of prisoners of war, paid for her medical care.

When McCain – his hair turned prematurely white and his body reduced to little more than a skeleton – was released in March 1973, he told reporters he was overjoyed to see Carol again.

But friends say privately he was ‘appalled’ by the change in her appearance. At first, though, he was kind, assuring her: ‘I don’t look so good myself. It’s fine.’

He bought her a bungalow near the sea in Florida and another former PoW helped him to build a railing so she could pull herself over the dunes to the water.

‘I thought, of course, we would live happily ever after,’ says Carol. But as a war hero, McCain was moving in ever-more elevated circles.

Through Ross Perot, he met Ronald Reagan, then Governor of California. A sympathetic Nancy Reagan took Carol under her wing.

But already the McCains’ marriage had begun to fray. ‘John started carousing and running around with women,’ said Robert Timberg.

McCain has acknowledged that he had girlfriends during this time, without going into details. Some friends blame his dissatisfaction with Carol, but others give some credence to her theory of a mid-life crisis.

He was also fiercely ambitious, but it was clear he would never become an admiral like his illustrious father and grandfather and his thoughts were turning to politics.

In 1979 – while still married to Carol – he met Cindy at a cocktail party in Hawaii. Over the next six months he pursued her, flying around the country to see her. Then he began to push to end his marriage.

Carol and her children were devastated. ‘It was a complete surprise,’ says Nancy Reynolds, a former Reagan aide.

‘They never displayed any difficulties between themselves. I know the Reagans were quite shocked because they loved and respected both Carol and John.’

Another friend added: ‘Carol didn’t fight him. She felt her infirmity made her an impediment to him. She justified his actions because of all he had gone through. She used to say, “He just wants to make up for lost time.”’

Indeed, to many in their circle the saddest part of the break-up was Carol’s decision to resign herself to losing a man she says she still adores.

Friends confirm she has remained friends with McCain and backed him in all his campaigns. ‘He was very generous to her in the divorce but of course he could afford to be, since he was marrying Cindy,’ one observed.

McCain transferred the Florida beach house to Carol and gave her the right to live in their jointly-owned townhouse in the Washington suburb of Alexandria. He also agreed to pay her alimony and child support.

A former neighbour says she subsequently sold up in Florida and Washington and moved in 2003 to Virginia Beach. He said: ‘My impression was that she found the new place easier to manage as she still has some difficulties walking.’

Meanwhile McCain moved to Arizona with his new bride immediately after their 1980 marriage. There, his new father-in-law gave him a job and introduced him to local businessmen and political powerbrokers who would smooth his passage to Washington via the House of Representatives and Senate.

And yet despite his popularity as a politician, there are those who won’t forget his treatment of his first wife.

Ted Sampley, who fought with US Special Forces in Vietnam and is now a leading campaigner for veterans’ rights, said: ‘I have been following John McCain’s career for nearly 20 years. I know him personally. There is something wrong with this guy and let me tell you what it is – deceit.

‘When he came home and saw that Carol was not the beauty he left behind, he started running around on her almost right away. Everybody around him knew it.

‘Eventually he met Cindy and she was young and beautiful and very wealthy. At that point McCain just dumped Carol for something he thought was better.

‘This is a guy who makes such a big deal about his character. He has no character. He is a fake. If there was any character in that first marriage, it all belonged to Carol.’

One old friend of the McCains said: ‘Carol always insists she is not bitter, but I think that’s a defence mechanism. She also feels deeply in his debt because in return for her agreement to a divorce, he promised to pay for her medical care for the rest of her life.’

Carol remained resolutely loyal as McCain’s political star rose. She says she agreed to talk to The Mail on Sunday only because she wanted to publicise her support for the man who abandoned her.

Indeed, the old Mercedes that she uses to run errands displays both a disabled badge and a sticker encouraging people to vote for her ex-husband. ‘He’s a good guy,’ she assured us. ‘We are still good friends. He is the best man for president.’

But Ross Perot, who paid her medical bills all those years ago, now believes that both Carol McCain and the American people have been taken in by a man who is unusually slick and cruel – even by the standards of modern politics.

‘McCain is the classic opportunist. He’s always reaching for attention and glory,’ he said.

‘After he came home, Carol walked with a limp. So he threw her over for a poster girl with big money from Arizona. And the rest is history.’

Additional reporting by Paul Henderson in Virginia Beach and William Lowther in Washington

Posted by: A Former Republican | August 26, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

These are the sort of really personal and very negative attacks that have rubbed away McCain's maverick label but also have won him back several points on Obama. So no question he'll keep using this stuff.

Posted by: matt | August 26, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mpp | August 26, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Let's straighten a few things about McCain.
1. He was not a fighter pilot. He flew an A-4
attack aircraft. The fighter plane slots were
generally won by the pilots at the top of their training class.

2. He got caught! I'd rather be the wingman of the pilot who accomplished the mission and returned safely.

bluebird
ex naval aviator

Posted by: bluebird | August 26, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

When Johm McCain spent 5 years in a cell, he didn't have a view of America.

Posted by: thebob.bob | August 26, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to the Obama Tin Foil Hat Brigade for posting.

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid!

Posted by: Wow | August 26, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

McCain message: We Aren't Just Like You

At home with John and Cindy
A tour of McCain's many properties.

Posted by: Republican Family Values | August 26, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

McCain message: We Aren't Just Like You

At home with John and Cindy
A tour of McCain's many properties.

Posted by: Republican Family Values | August 26, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

McCain message: We Aren't Just Like You

At home with John and Cindy
A tour of McCain's many properties.

Posted by: Republican Family Values | August 26, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

McCain had a home, with a wife and 3 kids...
When John McCain uses the crutch of his POW status to explain how he only had one house - a prison - when he was a POW...he fails to remember that he had another house, at home, that had a loving wife, and children. When he got out of his prison cell, he paid his loyal wife back by immediately cheating on her and ultimately leaving his family for the rich girl. He has no morals and should never be our President.

Posted by: Catherine | August 26, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

McCain, when boiled down to his essence, is little different than the Navy bomb dropper(he wears that Navy cap outdoors to keep the sun off his melanoma scarred face)he was over 40 years ago.

He views the presidency as a military position, not a civilian one. Who do I bomb(Iran ?), when, and for how long.

He'll leave the domestic economy (which he himself claimed not to understand that well) to the likes of Carly "golden parachute" Fiorina, and Phill "whiner" Gramm.

Posted by: MA | August 26, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

McCain is another example of incompetence, he doesn't know anything about world politics, this man is only supported because of his involvment in the Vietnam war, this man is an example of the Bushism that infects our systems. It's the breeding ground for disaster and everyone inlcuding the American people already know about that.

Posted by: Bu$h Wacked | August 26, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

McCain is another example of incompetence, he does not know anything about world politics this man is only supported because of his involvment in vietnam war, this man is an example of the Bushism that infects our systems, it is the breeding ground for disaster and everyone inlcuding the american people already know about that.

Posted by: Bu$h Wacked | August 26, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

McCain cheated on his crippled first wife, and dumped her to marry a wealthy heiress. I think we all know this type of person.

Posted by: Audrey Beck | August 26, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Audrey Beck | August 26, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

mccain's camp claims he is a maverick and patriot are false. mccain continues to work with criminal carl rove who has commited crimes against the nation. and he cannot be trusted with the economy because he was a involved in the keating 5 which harmed american financial stability. mccain lacks the skills and the judgement to lead americans in the futeure, and american voters will not accept the tired tricks he and rove have planned.

Posted by: jacade | August 26, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

IS JOHN MCCAIN A MAD MAN?
YOU DECIDE.

WASHINGTON — Senator John McCain arrived late at his Senate office on the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, just after the first plane hit the World Trade Center. “This is war,” he murmured to his aides. The sound of scrambling fighter planes rattled the windows, sending a tremor of panic through the room.

Erik Jacobs for The New York Times
John McCain said he had consulted Henry A. Kissinger on foreign policy before and after the Sept. 11 attacks.

Within hours, Mr. McCain, the Vietnam War hero and famed straight talker of the 2000 Republican primary, had taken on a new role: the leading advocate of taking the American retaliation against Al Qaeda far beyond Afghanistan. In a marathon of television and radio appearances, Mr. McCain recited a short list of other countries said to support terrorism, invariably including Iraq, Iran and Syria.

“There is a system out there or network, and that network is going to have to be attacked,” Mr. McCain said the next morning on ABC News. “It isn’t just Afghanistan,” he added, on MSNBC. “I don’t think if you got bin Laden tomorrow that the threat has disappeared,” he said on CBS, pointing toward other countries in the Middle East.

Within a month he made clear his priority. “Very obviously Iraq is the first country,” he declared on CNN. By Jan. 2, Mr. McCain was on the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt in the Arabian Sea, yelling to a crowd of sailors and airmen: “Next up, Baghdad!”

Now, as Mr. McCain prepares to accept the Republican presidential nomination, his response to the attacks of Sept. 11 opens a window onto how he might approach the gravest responsibilities of a potential commander in chief. Like many, he immediately recalibrated his assessment of the unseen risks to America’s security. But he also began to suggest that he saw a new “opportunity” to deter other potential foes by punishing not only Al Qaeda but also Iraq.

“Just as Sept. 11 revolutionized our resolve to defeat our enemies, so has it brought into focus the opportunities we now have to secure and expand our freedom,” Mr. McCain told a NATO conference in Munich in early 2002, urging the Europeans to join what he portrayed as an all but certain assault on Saddam Hussein. “A better world is already emerging from the rubble.”

To his admirers, Mr. McCain’s tough response to Sept. 11 is at the heart of his appeal. They argue that he displayed the same decisiveness again last week in his swift calls to penalize Russia for its incursion into Georgia, in part by sending peacekeepers to police its border.

His critics charge that the emotion of Sept. 11 overwhelmed his former cool-eyed caution about deploying American troops without a clear national interest and a well-defined exit, turning him into a tool of the Bush administration in its push for a war to transform the region.

“He has the personality of a fighter pilot: when somebody stings you, you want to strike out,” said retired Gen. John H. Johns, a former friend and supporter of Mr. McCain who turned against him over the Iraq war. “Just like the American people, his reaction was: show me somebody to hit.”

Whether through ideology or instinct, though, Mr. McCain began making his case for invading Iraq to the public more than six months before the White House began to do the same. He drew on principles he learned growing up in a military family and on conclusions he formed as a prisoner in North Vietnam. He also returned to a conviction about “the common identity” of dangerous autocracies as far-flung as Serbia and North Korea that he had developed consulting with hawkish foreign policy thinkers to help sharpen the themes of his 2000 presidential campaign.

While pushing to take on Saddam Hussein, Mr. McCain also made arguments and statements that he may no longer wish to recall. He lauded the war planners he would later criticize, including Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and Vice President Dick Cheney. (Mr. McCain even volunteered that he would have given the same job to Mr. Cheney.) He urged support for the later-discredited Iraqi exile Ahmad Chalabi’s opposition group, the Iraqi National Congress, and echoed some of its suspect accusations in the national media. And he advanced misleading assertions not only about Mr. Hussein’s supposed weapons programs but also about his possible ties to international terrorists, Al Qaeda and the Sept. 11 attacks.

Five years after the invasion of Iraq, Mr. McCain’s supporters note that he became an early critic of the administration’s execution of the occupation, and they credit him with pushing the troop “surge” that helped bring stability. Mr. McCain, though, stands by his support for the war and expresses no regrets about his advocacy.

In written answers to questions, he blamed “Iraq’s opacity under Saddam” for any misleading remarks he made about the peril it posed.

The Sept. 11 attacks “demonstrated the grave threat posed by a hostile regime, possessing weapons of mass destruction, and with reported ties to terrorists,” Mr. McCain wrote in an e-mail message on Friday. Given Mr. Hussein’s history of pursuing illegal weapons and his avowed hostility to the United States, “his regime posed a threat we had to take seriously.” The attacks were still a reminder, Mr. McCain added, of the importance of international action “to prevent outlaw states — like Iran today — from developing weapons of mass destruction.”

Formative Years

Mr. McCain has been debating questions about the use of military force far longer than most. He grew up in a family that had sent a son to every American war since 1776, and international relations were a staple of the McCain family dinner table. Mr. McCain grew up listening to his father, Adm. John S. McCain Jr., deliver lectures on “The Four Ocean Navy and the Soviet Threat,” closing with a slide of an image he considered the ultimate factor in the balance of power: a soldier marching through a rice paddy with a rifle at his shoulder.

“To quote Sherman, war is all hell and we need to fight it out and get it over with and that is when the killing stops,” recalled Joe McCain, Senator McCain’s younger brother.

Vietnam, for Senator McCain, reinforced those lessons. He has often said he blamed the Johnson administration’s pause in bombing for prolonging the war, and he credited President Richard M. Nixon’s renewed attacks with securing his release from a North Vietnamese prison. He has made the principle that the exercise of military power sets the bargaining table for international relations a consistent theme of his career ever since, and in his 2002 memoir he wrote that one of his lifelong convictions was “the imperative that American power never retreat in response to an inferior adversary’s provocation.”

But Mr. McCain also took away from Vietnam a second, restraining lesson: the necessity for broad domestic support for any military action. For years he opposed a string of interventions — in Lebanon, Haiti, Somalia, and, for a time, the Balkans — on the grounds that the public would balk at the loss of life without clear national interests. “The Vietnam thing,” he recently said.

In the late 1990s, however, while he was beginning to consider his 2000 presidential race, he started rebalancing his view of the needs to project American strength and to sustain public support. The 1995 massacre of 5,000 unarmed Bosnian Muslims at Srebrenica under NATO’s watch struck at his conscience, he has said, and in addition to America’s strategic national interests — in that case, the future and credibility of NATO — Mr. McCain began to speak more expansively about America’s moral obligations as the only remaining superpower.

His aides say he later described the American air strikes in Bosnia in 1996 and in Kosovo in 1999 as a parable of political leadership: Mr. McCain, Senator Bob Dole and others had rallied Congressional support for the strikes despite widespread public opposition, then watched approval soar after the intervention helped to bring peace.

“Americans elect their leaders to make these kinds of judgments,” Mr. McCain said in the e-mail message.

It was during the Balkan wars that Mr. McCain and his advisers read a 1997 article on the Wall Street Journal editorial page by William Kristol and David Brooks of The Weekly Standard — both now Op-Ed page columnists at The New York Times — promoting the idea of “national greatness” conservatism, defined by a more activist agenda at home and a more muscular role in the world.

“I wouldn’t call it a ‘eureka’ moment, but there was a sense that this is where we are headed and this is what we are trying to articulate and they have already done a lot of the work,” said John Weaver, a former McCain political adviser. “And, quite frankly, from a crass political point of view, we were in the making-friends business. The Weekly Standard represented a part of the primary electorate that we could get.”

Soon Mr. McCain and his aides were consulting regularly with the circle of hawkish foreign policy thinkers sometimes referred to as neoconservatives — including Mr. Kristol, Robert Kagan and Randy Scheunemann, a former aide to Mr. Dole who became a McCain campaign adviser — to develop the senator’s foreign policy ideas and instincts into the broad themes of a presidential campaign. (In his e-mail message, Mr. McCain noted that he had also consulted with friends like Henry A. Kissinger, known for a narrower view of American interests.)

One result was a series of speeches in which Mr. McCain called for “rogue state rollback.” He argued that disparate regional troublemakers, including Iraq, North Korea and Serbia, bore a common stamp: they were all autocracies. And as such, he contended, they were more likely to export terrorism, spread dangerous weapons, or start ethnic conflicts. In an early outline of what would become his initial response to the Sept. 11 attacks, Mr. McCain argued that “swift and sure” retribution against any one of the rogue states was an essential deterrent to any of the others. But Mr. McCain’s advisers and aides say his “rogue state” speeches stopped short of the most sweeping international agenda put forth by Mr. Kristol, Mr. Kagan and their allies. Mr. McCain explicitly disavowed direct military action merely to advance American values, foreswearing any “global crusade” of interventions in favor of relying on covert and financial support for internal opposition groups.

As an example, he could point to his 1998 sponsorship of the Iraqi Liberation Act, which sought to direct nearly $100 million to Iraqis who hoped to overthrow Saddam Hussein. The bill, signed by President Bill Clinton, also endorsed the ouster of Mr. Hussein.

Mr. McCain said then that he doubted the United States could muster the political will to use ground troops to remove the Iraqi dictator any time soon. “It was much easier when Saddam Hussein was occupying Kuwait and threatening Saudi Arabia,” the senator told Fox News in November 1998. “We’d have to convince the American people that it’s worth again the sacrifice of American lives, because that would also be part of the price.”

Hard Calls

Mr. McCain spent the afternoon of Sept. 11 in a young aide’s studio apartment near the Capitol. There was no cable television, nothing but water in the kitchen, and the hallway reminded him of an old boxing gym. Evacuated from his office but stranded by traffic, he could not resist imagining himself at the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue. “There are not enough Secret Service agents in the world to keep me away from Washington and New York at a time like this,” Mr. McCain told an adviser.

Over the next days and weeks, however, Mr. McCain became almost as visible as he would have been as president. Broadcasters rushed to him as a patriotic icon and reassuring voice, and for weeks he was ubiquitous on the morning news programs, Sunday talk shows, cable news networks, and even late-night comedy shows.

In the spotlight, he pushed rogue state rollback one step further, arguing that the United States should go on the offensive as a warning to any other country that might condone such an attack. “These networks are well-embedded in some of these countries,” Mr. McCain said on Sept. 12, listing Iraq, Iran and Syria as potential targets of United States pressure. “We’re going to have to prove to them that we are very serious, and the price that they will pay will not only be for punishment but also deterrence.”

Although he had campaigned for President Bush during the 2000 general election, he was still largely frozen out of the White House because of animosities left over from the Republican primary. But after Mr. Bush declared he would hold responsible any country condoning terrorism, Mr. McCain called his leadership “magnificent” and his national security team the strongest “that has ever been assembled.” A few weeks later, Larry King of CNN asked whether he would have named Mr. Rumsfeld and Colin L. Powell to a McCain cabinet. “Oh, yes, and Cheney,” Mr. McCain answered, saying he, too, would have offered Mr. Cheney the vice presidency.

Even during the heat of the war in Afghanistan, Mr. McCain kept an eye on Iraq. To Jay Leno in mid-September, Mr. McCain said he believed “some other countries” had assisted Osama bin Laden, going on to suggest Iraq, Syria and Iran as potential suspects. In October 2001, when an Op-Ed page column in The New York Times speculated that Iraq, Russia or some other country might bear responsibility for that month’s anthrax mailings, Mr. McCain interrupted a question about Afghanistan from David Letterman on that night’s “Late Show.” “The second phase is Iraq,” Mr. McCain said, adding, “Some of this anthrax may — and I emphasize may — have come from Iraq.” (The Federal Bureau of Investigation says it came from a federal government laboratory in Maryland.) By October, United States and foreign intelligence agencies had said publicly that they doubted any cooperation between Mr. Hussein and Al Qaeda, noting Al Qaeda’s opposition to such secular nationalists. American intelligence officials soon declared that Mr. Hussein had not supported international terrorism for nearly a decade.

But when the Czech government said that before the attacks, one of the 9/11 hijackers had met in Prague with an Iraqi intelligence official, Mr. McCain seized the report as something close to a smoking gun. “The evidence is very clear,” he said three days later, in an Oct. 29 television interview. (Intelligence agencies quickly cast doubt on the meeting.)

Frustrated by the dearth of American intelligence about Iraq, Mr. McCain’s aides say, he had long sought to learn as much as he could from Iraqi opposition figures in exile, including Mr. Chalabi of the Iraqi National Congress. Over the years, Mr. McCain often urged support for the group, saying it had “significant support, in my view, inside Iraq.”

After Sept. 11, Mr. Chalabi’s group said an Iraqi emissary had once met with Osama bin Laden, and brought forward two Iraqi defectors who described terrorist training camps and biological weapons efforts. At times, Mr. McCain seemed to echo their accusations, citing the “two defectors” in a television interview and attesting to “credible reports of involvement between Iraqi administration officials, Iraqi officials and the terrorists.”

Growing Impatient

But United States intelligence officials had doubts about Mr. Chalabi at the time and have since discredited his group. In 2006, Mr. McCain acknowledged to The New Republic that he had been “too enamored with the I.N.C.” In his e-mail message, though, he said he never relied on the group for information about Iraq’s weapons program.

At a European security conference in February 2002, when the Bush administration still publicly maintained that it had made no decision about moving against Iraq, Mr. McCain described an invasion as all but certain. “A terrorist resides in Baghdad,” he said, adding, “A day of reckoning is approaching.”

Regime change in Iraq in addition to Afghanistan, he argued, would compel other sponsors of terrorism to mend their ways, “accomplishing by example what we would otherwise have to pursue through force of arms.”

Finally, as American troops massed in the Persian Gulf in early 2003, Mr. McCain grew impatient, his aides say, concerned that the White House was failing to act as the hot desert summer neared. Waiting, he warned in a speech in Washington, risked squandering the public and international support aroused by Sept. 11. “Does anyone really believe that the world’s will to contain Saddam won’t eventually collapse as utterly as it did in the 1990s?” Mr. McCain asked.

In retrospect, some of Mr. McCain’s critics now accuse him of looking for a pretext to justify the war. “McCain was hell-bent for leather: ‘Saddam Hussein is a bad guy, we have got to teach him, let’s send a message to the other people in the Middle East,’ ” said Senator John Kerry, Democrat of Massachusetts.

But Mr. McCain, in his e-mail message, said the reason he had supported the war was the evolving threat from Mr. Hussein.

“I believe voters elect their leaders based on their experience and judgment — their ability to make hard calls, for instance, on matters of war and peace,” he wrote. “It’s important to get them right.”

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

McCAIN TAKES LEAD BY 2 PTS. IN GALLUP TRACKING;
FIRST-TIME LEAD AS RACE APPROACHES FINAL STRETCH

• No "Biden Bounce" Whatsoever
• First Obama Executive Blunder?

Just one day before he expects to be anointed the Democratic standard-bearer, Barack Obama slipped behind John McCain in the closely-watched Gallup daily tracking poll, an ominous sign for his November prospects and a flat-line response to his selection of Delaware Sen. Joe Biden as his vice presidential running mate.

The Obama campaign, in response to the poll results, issued a statement saying: "If the spread was greater than the number of John McCain's houses, we'd be concerned."

*******************************

What do the delegates think of Obama's continued slide in the polls, just as they are being told by his campaign that the roll call vote promised to Hillary Clinton may be denied?

Stay tuned.

Posted by: Outside the Box | August 26, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Fear and smear is all the knuckledraggers like John McBush from the rightwing lunitic fringe have to offer now days:

Posted by: astral99 | August 26, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

What is this with the Republican candidates, you know, the ones who are "Foreign Policy Experts" screwing up so frequently?

Today, Mitt Romney referred to Russia as "The Soviets", not once, but FOUR TIMES.

First it's Sunnis and Shiites, Checkoslovakia, middle eastern borders and now (again) the Soviets?

Not once, but MANY times?

All the time accusing others of being naive and inexperienced?

Apparently Romney also thinks Russia borders Poland.

Are they yearning for the good old days when we had a nuclear standoff with Russia?

Somebody educate me, or better yet, somebody educate them

Posted by: JR | August 26, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: astral99 | August 26, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: J Michael | August 26, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Why do so many REPUBLICAN legislators have no confidence in John McCain as President?:

Posted by: J Michael | August 26, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Michael, was McCain on Ambien when he made the speech? Maybe he was just sleeptrashtalking. He's such a honorable man! And a POW!

Posted by: Bedtime for Bonzo | August 26, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

What do we want?

World War III!

When do we want it?

NOW!

Yeehaw...

Posted by: The Real McCain | August 26, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

McCain spits out that he was a POW and wants to be treated like royalty, where as there are other POW's who don't ask for it and don't flourish it about like a weapon.
Though its funny how he seems to attack people with half truths and false accusations, yet as soon as someone attacks him, he says he was a war hero and a POW.

Posted by: Hal Bacon | August 26, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hal Bacon | August 26, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hal Bacon | August 26, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

POW becomes The McCain Denigrator:

Enough is now more than enough. While Dubya may call himself "The Decider", McCain now may call himself "The Denigrator."

For the past several months the only argument that McCain seems to muster is to denigrate Barach Obama. He has concentrated on personality rather than speak to any issues of importance to his country. Thus Obama is, for McCain, too young, too inexperienced, too naive and too "strange" to be acceptable for high office. He dare not call Obama the N word out loud, but that is what is at the back of this attack. He does not mind calling Vietnamese "gooks." as the Vietnamese have no voting representation in the U.S. But as a White Republican he is offended by Obama’s black skin. McCain probably thinks Obama to be of some inferior race, a kind of sub-human, as was common with his attitude and generation when he was young, when blacks in the army were once considered only fit for driving trucks or cooking. A residue of this attitude seems to have permeated McCain’s logic.

Denigration is a major part of racism. But McCain must be careful to deny any assumption of inferiority as too many dark skinned people can vote now. So he skirts the topic, occasionally drifting over the line, and then he gives a snaggy tooth grin, emits a snort that should be a chuckle, and claims he was just "having fun."

You see, when serious topics become rife with danger, then the ploy is to claim you were simply joking...no harm intended. But sometimes his grin and snort resembles a bull-dog that is going to take someone’s leg, or arm, off. When his innuendo and framing of Obama takes him into the darker realms concerning patriotism, Americanism, and judgement, just barely skirting treason, inferiority, and terrorism, then he abruptly switches the attack and in effect says, "Who, Me? Nonsense. I was a POW." That explains everything and nothing. His framing of Obama is as subtle as a 2x4 in debating.

When will this Mad Dog attack on personality cease and serious debate without denigration begin? Is it possible that most Republicans like this Slow-Boating and approve of character assassination as a means to power? Is anyone on the right trying to ameliorate the vicious attacks of McCain and get him to stick to important issues? Or is this a prelude to war-mongering and new forms of Manifest Destiny?

Posted by: casey | August 26, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

POW becomes The McCain Denigrator:

Posted by: casey | August 26, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

POW is to McCain what 9/11 is to Guilliani.

I wonder what kind craziness from this senile old man would be excused in the future?..

John McCain starts WW3 after picking a fight with Russia but cannot be blamed because he was a POW...

John McCain nukes Iran, that's okay he was a POW...

John McCain institutes a military draft for men and women - He was a POW, now you have the chance to be too...

Posted by: McCain = Bush | August 26, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

POW is to McCain what 9/11 is to Guilliani.

I just can't wait until the Republican convention when we will be able to listen to the two of those phrases over and over and over...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I wonder what would be excused in the future from this senile old man?..

John McCain nukes Iran, that's okay he was a POW...

Posted by: McCain = Bush's third term | August 26, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

So, McCain's logic is that during the Cold War there were 2 major camps. The Cold War is over, according to him- we won. But, it is wrong to aspire to having a united world?

Then what does McCain think the Cold W#ar was about? Or does he think it continues now and forever- that aspiring to unity of purpose is by definition un-American?

Of course McCain does not mean these things- but that is the logic he is using in his twisting of phrases from his opponent. It is unfortunate that he is apparently incapable of serious critiques of teh Obama positions- if he did that, he would be doing himself, and America, a lasting service.

Posted by: amazed | August 26, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: amazed | August 26, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Are there two identical threads on this?

Posted by: JakeD | August 26, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse