McCain Gets Bikers' Motors Running in S.D.

By Michael D. Shear
STURGIS, S.D. -- If there was any question whether this is John McCain country, that doubt ended Monday as thousands of motorcycle riders repeatedly revved their Harleys upon his arrival here, creating a massive roar of approval and a cloud of exhaust fumes.

"This is my first time here," McCain told the crowd of about 20,000 at the Sturgis Rally, an annual motorcycle event in the western part of the state. "But I recognize that sound. It's the sound of freedom."

McCain told the group of leather-clad, bandana-wearing, long-haired riders that his rival, Barack Obama had recently spoken to 200,000 people in Berlin.

"I'll take the roar of 50,000 Harleys any day. Any day," he said, prompting another round of engines revving.

McCain's campaign traveled 90 minutes from Rapid City for the five-minute appearance in front of a friendly crowd filled with many military veterans. He called them the "heartland of America."

The Republican senator thanked the crowd for their service to the country and urged them not to be "on the road" on Nov. 4. "It will be a good sign on Election Day if there are a lot of bikes parked outside the polling places of America," he declared.

McCain continued to mock Obama's energy policies, telling the crowd, "My opponent doesn't want to drill. He doesn't want nuclear power. He wants to inflate your tires."

The Sturgis Rally attracts tens of thousands of motorcycle riders from around the country. McCain fired up the crowd by asking whether anyone wanted to continue paying $4 per gallon of gas, sparking an ironic roar from the motorcycle engines and another cloud of exhaust fumes.

In introducing his wife, McCain noted the ongoing beauty pageant at the event and said that he had "encouraged Cindy to compete. I told her, with a little luck, she could be the only person ever to serve as first lady and Miss Buffalo Chip."

By Post Editor  |  August 4, 2008; 11:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Note to Readers
Next: Liberals to Obama: 'Stand Firm'

Comments

Any of the above people who talk against John McCain's devotion to veterans apparently have never heard of the Center for the Intreped that was built for veterans that were wounded seriously in Iraq and Afganistan. He along with others led the charge for this to be built with donations and it is a state of the art facility that opened last year in Texas.

Posted by: Aaron | August 5, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to generalize, TomCat. My '91 Beemer gets 45+ mpg too. And if I could afford a dozen bikes, the 12th one might be a Harley (maybe a Jay Springsteen XR-750). But it's a trifle disingenuous calling me "elite" while defending what most owners flaunt as a $20,000+ fashion accessory. While you might not be a neanderthal, you gotta admit the HD brand attracts an inordinant number of Hells Angel wanna-be's. And isn't all the HD costuming rather silly? Last time I did Daytona Bike Week (on my Norton Commando), I took a random survey of Harleys parked on Main Street. I had to check more than 20 odometers before I found one with 10,000 miles on it. I've ridden that far on a single road trip. My bike is for riding, not preening. If you see it on a trailer, call the police.

Posted by: Delilah Jones | August 5, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

If it was Obama who had done this the news media would be screaming about what a disgrace it was 24/7. He not only encouraged people to waste tons of gas while talking about gas shortages, he said he encouraged his wife to "enter the beauty pageant" - which is a TOPLESS BEAUTY PAGEANT. "Sometimes, bottomless, too."

Can you IMAGINE if Obama had done this at a gathering of somewhat low-down black people, and said this about Michelle Obama?

So - where's the outrage, Washington Post?

Posted by: Iggy | August 5, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Firt Bush courted the unwashed redneck herd known as Nascar Dads and now McCain is hangin' with that great repository of progressive thought, the Sturgis motorcycle rally. It becomes sadly obvious where and how Republicans develop their party platform.

Posted by: Jed | August 5, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Offering up Cindy McCain as a contestant for Miss Buffalo Chip? Very inspiring!

It's great to see John promote female leadership by suggesting a cabinet-level (or maybe that's bartop-level) position for Cindy:

Posted by: Christina West | August 5, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

It's not true that Cindy McCain won the "Fake Orgasm" contest. If poor John McCain got on a Harley, he'd promptly drop it on its side. What a joke for him to appear at the Buffalo Chip Campground.

Posted by: ericmiami | August 5, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

A better way to honor the vets would be for John McCain to support medical benefits and funding for VA. When VA was recently busted for pushing lower diagnosis on vets in order to say money, John McCain said 'it's not important'. Visit http://www.vetsforcommonsense.org or http://www.votevets.org to learn about his poor vet voting record.

Or you can check out how McCain and Kerry shut down remaining MIA/POW investigations in order to open up trade with Nam. McCain's father-in-law immediately opened up a beer industry there.

John McCain likes to run on a platform of being of vet, yet doesn't support them.

Posted by: MsSwin | August 5, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

McCain offered his own wife to participate in the bikini contest. That's a family values Republican, if I ever saw one!

Posted by: GTFOOH | August 5, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Interesting opinion, Delilah Jones. I'll grant you, the HD is a primitive machine (even with fuel injection and disc brakes), but I'm hardly a neanderthal for adoring it. While I'm getting 40+ miles to the gallon on my scoot I'll think fondly of your boneheaded, elitist, liberal-speak. See? Even us neanderthal Harley riders can throw out ad hominems. Good day to you!

Posted by: TomCat42 | August 5, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Fine. Ok.....

Vespa Riders for Obama!!!

vroom. vroom. vroom. 70 mpg.

We rock.

Posted by: Susan | August 5, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

What!!!....This McCaint in Sturgis is such RNC/GOP baloney...whats next??.

...Cindy driving a Harley '74 panhead..and McCaint riding sidesaddle being her **tch.

..how laughable and utterly sad.......

NOT all Bikers are not for McCaint the're for someone else...BArack Obama next POTUS

www.bikers4obama.blogspot.com
www.bikers4obama.com
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUThpWLpabs
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpnUkbb_qfU

Posted by: AlexP1 | August 5, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Barack Obama's has opinions on many subjects, but has been in very few positions in government where his ideas have been put to the test.
This gentleman, whom I regard in high esteem, is an intellectual who does not have the practical experience required to be Commander in chief or CEO of the United States of America.
This person has one qualification, at this particular time in his life, he can talk, and discuss in a charming manner.
Let him continue his Senate role, gain the practical application experience, then in future years, run for the top job in America.
Talking and promising, is all very well, it has it's place certainly, but the President of the United States has to consider Congress and the Senate, so the golden voice of Senator Barack Obama does not qualify him to move into the White house with disregard for practical experience of which he has not yet attained.
I wish him well in his future endeavors, but advise him to sit out this particular endeavor and await a future date to continue.

Posted by: james | August 5, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Mikey, did you bother to ask anyone at the rally if they actually supported McCain? How do you know that there is no question that Sturgis is McCain country? If that is your impression, then please tell us so. It appears it contradicts what a real reporter for the LA Times found out. How did he find that some in the crowd supported Obama? He asked them. To think that a reporter would actually ask someone a question. The Post keeps getting worse and worse. Pathetic.

Posted by: Early Man | August 5, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Some thought for the Voters.... Looking for Presidential material in Mr Obama.

Has he got what it takes ..it will be too late after he is elected, and you desire to change your mind.
He is a Lawyer...
How many years has he practiced law, that career is now at an end and he is now giving it up.
He appears as a honest person, but he has not been in any position as such to be a proven honest
He obtained some experience in State legislature, but for how long.
He can talk that is true, he is a great communicator, most lawyers are, and he promises much.
But these are just promises none of which may come to pass.
He appears friendly that also is true, politicians are always friendly till they get elected.
Where is all his political experience, that I do not see. How many years has he had in the Senate.
Where does his experience come from to be knowledgeable about our the economy and our country..
Where does his experience come from to be Commander in Chief of all the Military in USA.
Where on earth has all his campaign money come from, he is not a rich man, he does however know some people who to say the least, have a reputation that is soiled and associated with people of ill repute..
He is a religious man, but the church he attended appears to have been one he should have rejected many years ago, simply because of his minister, but he even got married in that particular church by that minister.
I am always particularly interested when someone can raise money in the large volume that he has, and it begs an explanation.
Who does he know and what does he feel obligated to do for that amount of funding, from those that supplied the cash.
There is no free lunch , someone is expecting large favors from this gentleman when he becomes president .
It will be interesting to see the outcome in the future.

Posted by: jim | August 5, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Some thought for the Voters.... Looking for Presidential material in Mr Obama.

He is a Lawyer...
He obtained some experience in State legislature, but for how long.
But these are just promises none of which may come to pass.
It will be interesting to see the outcome in the future.

Posted by: jim | August 5, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

The Harley Davidson motorcycle is a perfect metaphor for the McCain campaign. Both are primative machines adored by neanderthals who yearn for simpler times. Both are monuments to fear and ignorance. People choose Harleys and the Republican Party because by doing so they can immediately "fit in" by simply adopting the uniform and pretending to be tough. Both are closed-minded, intolerant groups that can't imagine a better way of doing things. Their time has passed.

Posted by: Delilah Jones | August 5, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

In introducing his wife, McCain noted the ongoing beauty pageant at the event and said that he had "encouraged Cindy to compete"

Whatever his extramarital activity, in his dotage yesterday's man seems willing to treat his second wife more kindly than he did earlier when he used a 4 letter word as public putdown.

Posted by: Rust Belt old white guy | August 5, 2008 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Plenty of "bikers" aren't "Rebels Without A Cause" nor are they active in "Hell's Angels". You also don't have to have a bike that shakes house walls as you go down the street! In the main, they are fuel efficient.

Where McCain lost me is his appealing to the worst of this group. The drunks, the flashers et al. While never against a good time and good clean fun, this giant waste of fuel at a time our country should be conserving is just one example of why this event gives bikers a bad image.

McCain's gone down yet again, in my opinion, by appealing to the worst in America. There is nothing wrong with Vets in Sturgis, but there also is nothing wrong with 200,000 plus people in Berlin coming to hear the possible new leader of the free world. McCain misses the fact that he would not only be President of the U.S., but would be the hope and defacto leader of a lot of the world. Limited vision is not a great quality in a President. Think not? Then just look at the current one.

Posted by: Born to be Wild | August 5, 2008 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday Barack laid out a comprehensive energy plan that would make the country independent from foreign oil in ten years. We finally have a candidate with the intellect, vision, and leadership to provide solutions to the energy crisis facing our nation. The only ten year plan Grampa McCain should be making are funeral arrangements.

Posted by: shiva7 | August 5, 2008 7:06 AM | Report abuse

McCain's appealing to America's best and brightest again, I see. Real men LOVE nuclear power. We eats atoms for breakfast. And real men, NEVER inflate their tires to get better gas mileage. We'd rather pay extra than stoop THAT low. Go McCain!

Posted by: Chuck | August 5, 2008 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Brian, you have it wrong. I fully understand the issues. I've followed the election. I come from a working class union Democratic background, and before I was laid off because of the housing crisis, I had just about the best health insurance you could get. My big issue with both candidates is they both have terrible economic policies. I was leaning towards Obama, but I am honestly too scared of socialized medicine and redistribution of wealth policies that can only do more damage to our already fragile economy. I can't believe that by punishing the rich and greedy corporations that will actually make our economy stronger. Healthcare is a concern for me, since I lost my health insurance, but this is not the way to do it. The government failed with social security, it failed with medicare, and it will fail with Obamacare. I lose 40% of my check in taxes, let me keep some of that money to set up an IRA so I won't need social security (which I won't get anyway) and let me buy my own health insurance policy. If the government wants to give me a handout, give me back some of the money it takes from me. And if I don't want health insurance, and I want to spend that money on a big SUV wasting enormous amounts of gas, that should be ok. This is America. I want to keep it free. Not as in free healthcare free, but as in freedom.

Posted by: fargus | August 5, 2008 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Vital Center,

At first, I thought your remarks were pretty stupid, but then....I noticed all those capitals and exclamation points, causing me to think, hey, maybe this guy has a really important point after all.

Posted by: Brian | August 5, 2008 5:32 AM | Report abuse

"The comment was a jab at Obama's statement that people should inflate their tires properly to get better gas mileage."

False.

That's a sugar-coated substitute for what Obama actually said.

Obama said that we could save as much gas from properly inflating our tires, as we could get from offshore drilling (which is, of course, crapola.)

Here's the video:

Posted by: Brian | August 5, 2008 5:28 AM | Report abuse

Finally someone on here who makes some sense. That is the problem with a democracy, everybody has a right to vote whether they know anything or not. They vote for someone because they like their hair of think they are cool, what ever. It would be better if people like this would just admit they don't have a clue and not vote. Then we may actually get some real representation elected by people who at least take the time and trouble to be informed voters. My hat is off to you, please stay home in November.

---------
I am an undecided 20 year old voter, and over and over again, I hear liberals on forums with the same talking points, who talk more about how much they hate Bush than real issues. And any group of people sick and distorted enough to actually wish him dead is not a group of people I will belong to. I made up my mind that I will not vote for John McCain, because he has no new ideas, but I recently decided with a little help from raving conspiracy-theory far-left zealots who rant on the same "Bush is evil", "McCain is Bush", crap that overall Democrats have no ideas. I won't vote for either candidate, and I'm not the only one. There are a lot more young, apathetic disenfranchised voters like me than there are the crowds of Obama youth you see on television. I actually don't know any of my peers who actually cares who wins. The future's gonna suck either way. And why do people get off on complaining about Bush? He's a bad president. He sucks, but why get online and yell "HE'S EVIL! HE LIED! HE'S THE TERRORIST!" You people seriously have no life. You are super lame. Go get a hobby or something.

"None of the above in '08"

Posted by: fargus | August 5, 2008 4:27 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 5:11 AM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me. They haul their $50.000 motorcycles there in trailers with rigs that are worth $100,000 or more. As far as them being veterans. That goes back to the korean war when they came back and many of the biker clubs started. That is not representative of motorcyclists anymore. Mccain is just feeding into a stereotype. He likes to stereotype people such as blacks, poor whites working class and so on. Mccain is little more then a pandering manipulator.
-------

As the first political candidate to acknowledge the power of bikers as a voting block, and speak to them, I give him great credit. Bikers are also veterans and freedom lovers, and most are middle class Americans.

Posted by: Hugh Haynsworth | August 5, 2008 4:03 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 5:05 AM | Report abuse

"None of the above in '08"

Posted by: fargus | August 5, 2008 4:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hugh Haynsworth | August 5, 2008 4:03 AM | Report abuse

Let's se McDude get on a Harley and drive it. McDork.What an ODD person he is!

Posted by: majorteddy=== | August 5, 2008 3:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm just a bleeding heart liberal from the Northeast and I could be mistaken but I'm guessing that the good people in South Dakota don't want big government on their backs any more than they want big business screwing them at the pump and at every other place else that they can.

Do you think South Dakotans like the idea that wealthy investors get the profits from exotic financial dealings but, when things go bad, taxpayers in South Dakota have to pay for the greedy Republicans scandals?

And make no mistake, most of these scandals are a tax by a corrupt Republican name. Money goes from the taxpayers to bailout their greedy friends. It's a scam.

McCain married into the Arizona mob. Helped Charles Keating bilk taxpayers. And now wants to pretend that he's just a regular guy?

His whole political career is a lie. He's not a maverick. He's the political end of a very sharp and crooked network.

Three months 'til the election. Soon everyone will know.

Google: "John McCain" mafia

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 2:27 AM | Report abuse

Didn't they have some girl there one year who set a record for giving blow jobs? She did like 1200 in 24 hours. Maybe Cindy can compete for that title and get John a few more votes?
---------
Cindy Mccain must have no self respect what so ever. Have you even been to Sturgis?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 2:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 2:11 AM | Report abuse

Mccain won't be a third Bush term, it will be a third Cheney term. I hope you don't think George Bush is president? Nothing will change at all. Bush will move out and Mccain will move in and the same group behind the scenes will still be pulling the strings. Mccain even has the people running his campaign who ran Bushes campaigned that defeated him and attacked his own family in 2000. It is easy to see Mccain has nothing to say and anything. He is just a puppet. Vote for him if you must but don't fool yourself about what you are getting. Cheney will remain president just as he is now, just with a different office.
-------

good for McCain to go to Sturgis, even if it was only 5 minutes. I doubt the bikers (who are not all douchbags) wasted much gas to go see him as they were already there for the festivities. They just decided to stop partying for 5 minutes to hear what he had to say. As for the American Dream...i'd say that goes out the door when our govt steps in and starts telling us how much we can make like what Obama wants to do with oil. Yeah, they made a lot of money, but this is OIL, and not all of the oil companies are American. Sounds like a great idea to tax American oil companies so that they have a harder time competing in the global economy. Let's try to think about the bigger picture. Somehow, raising corporate taxes does not seem like a way to encourage business to develop here, it seems like a way to drive them out of the country. And somehow I don't think that McCain's sturgis appearance was racist, that's just me though. You democrats need a better argument than - 4 more years of bush as a reason to elect Obama. By the way...on a biweekly paycheck...the thousand dollars that Obama will save the average worker each year is about $38 per paycheck. That does not seem like much when you think about all the jobs that will push overseas to developing countries that are encouraging growth. I am middle class...those of you that complain that your govt doesn't do enough...go live in a socialist country...I for one like the idea that I can do whatever I want for a living and that I have unlimited earning potential...even if I never get rich. Don't throw the American Dream in the toilet. For the record, I am an independent voter and obviously leaning toward McCain for now. Obama can still win me over, but I need more than rhetoric and a 4 more years of Bush argument. Obama, you seem like a smart guy - this is your chance to win me over (i'm a white male in his late 20's, not racist other than political correctness is out of control, and I'm still looking for a reason to vote for you), By the way, I am one demographic that is not listed on Obama's website.

Posted by: jesse | August 5, 2008 1:32 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 2:01 AM | Report abuse

I think Mccain may want to talk to his energy adviser. before making fun of Obama saying people should have their cars properly tuned and tires properly inflated . It is estimated it would save the US more barrels of oil in one year then the off shore drilling will produce in four years. The simple fact is, the quickest thing we can do to relieve the problem is through conservation. The waste has to he stopped and it could happen over night if the people of the US just stepped up to the plate and made it a national priority. But what does Mccain say, he makes fun of it because he didn't think of it first. What a FU&kING moron, there are no other words for it. Maybe he thinks people should speed, leave their air conditioners set at 72, change back to incandescent bulbs, Whenever you have to drive anywhere be sure to take the longest rout to be sure you waste as much gas as possible. Maybe Mccain thinks everybody should also drive SUV's the worse mileage the better. The fuc&ing old man doesn't have a brain in his head. I by the way drive a 2003 ford escort that has a factory estimated MPG of 28. I just filled up and got 41 MPG. Maybe Mccain should be telling people how to do what I do to make the lives better.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jesse | August 5, 2008 1:32 AM | Report abuse

The fact that there are actually American citizens that believe "bikers" are a monolithic constituency - that they will vote only for one candidate - is utterly amazing.

And the disgust among over 80 percent of Americans (according to a recent poll) with the NEGATIVE ads and SMEAR tactics of Team McSame DOES NOT have anything to do with the support of bikers as a political unit.

RATHER, the disgust emanates from the fact that John McCain will say or do anything to win; that he is repeating the Machiavellian tactics of the Bush Neocons, lying through his teeth, and (according to voice stress analysis) KNOWING THAT HE'S LYING; and that he is degrading, indeed, disgracing the very notion of a presidential campaign by "sinking LOWER THAN ANY PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE IN US HISTORY."

The fact that there are REALLY STUPID people out there that would VOTE AGAINST THEIR OWN INTERESTS - AGAINST HEALTHCARE, AGAINST VETERANS BENEFITS, AGAINST LOWER FUEL PRICES, AGAINST FAIR PAY FOR AMERICAN WORKERS, AGAINST AMERICAN JOBS, AND FOR MORE WARS OVERSEAS AND MORE BLOODSHED BY THE YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN IN THE US MILITARY - is mind boggling.

Such isn't Machiavellian.

It's just good old fashioned STUPID.

Posted by: VitalCenter | August 5, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Bikers know that McCain is the "BETTER" choice and they "VOTE"

VJ Machiavelli
ps I guess the Obama supporters are a little upset over McCain support among "BIKERS"

Posted by: VJ Machiavelli | August 5, 2008 12:44 AM | Report abuse

It's a big deal that John McCain thinks this campaign is a joke.

EVERYONE - and I mean everyone - knows that he is distorting Senator Obama's stands on the issues . . .

And he's smearing and distorting with a teenager's smirk.

Making fun of Senator Obama for suggesting that Americans check their tire pressure (studies show that over 70 percent of us DON'T) - something the Bush Adminstration, NASCAR and every automobile manufacturer recommends - makes joke out of John McCain, who evidently doesn't know that the 3.3% gas savings Americans will enjoy by doing this WILL ADD UP TO MORE SAVINGS OVER THE COURSE OF JUST ONE YEAR THAN ALL THE OIL REMAINING IN UNITED STATES WELLS!

THEN the tire gauges that read "OBAMA'S ENERGY POLICY."

THEY KNOW, WE KNOW, EVERYONE KNOWS that Senator Obama offers a mix of conventional and alternative energy solutions - A PLAN RATED BY THE ENERGY INSTITUTE (A CONSERVATIVE GROUP) AS "So much more sophisticated and far-sighted than John McCain's that we might as well get real and say that Senator McCain simply refuses to HAVE ANY ENERGY POLICY."

SO, WHY LIE? WHY LIE OVER AND OVER AGAIN? WHY MAKE A JOKE OUT OF AN ISSUE THAT IS KILLING THE MONTHLY BUDGET IN EVERY WORKING HOUSEHOLD?

But this is just one example.

The weird celebrity ads, the constant immature remarks.

I guess it has to be said: Perhaps John McCain's age IS a factor after all. BECAUSE, he certainly does seem to be acting like he long ago entered his SECOND CHILDHOOD.

Meanwhile, while McCain jokes around about gas prices - giggling about the single largest increase in fuel costs for working Americans EVER(!) - real people, real WORKING people (not guys with a 200 MILLION DOLLAR WIFE to bankroll a megarich lifestyle), folks that worry about JUST MAKING THE BILLS EVERY MONTH, have to suffer this crapola day after day after day.

Shame on you, John McCain!!! Shame on you, your staff, on your BIG OIL BUDDIES (who you've promised a FIVE BILLION DOLLAR GIFT IF THEY CONTINUE TO BANKROLL YOUR CAMPAIGN) - on a whole organization dedicated to stuffing cash in the pockets of a few rich people WHILE THE AMERICAN DREAM SLIPS FROM THE HANDS of the people that wash your Mercedes, mow your lawns, build your HOUSES and suffer the burden of your "ROB THE POOR AND PAY THE RICH" ECONOMICS!!!

I know how I'm voting. If anybody that actually works for a living is voting for a guy that has dedicated his life to CUTTING VETERANS' BENEFITS, CUTTING MILITARY BENEFITS AND PAY, CUTTING TAXES FOR THE MEGARICH, CUTTING PAY FOR WORKING CLASS AMERICANS and BLOCKING any access to healthcare for you and me (REAL PEOPLE), then we can only pray for 'em and work to forgive their stupidity.

God Bless America! OBAMA '08!!!

YES WE CAN! AND WE WILL! WE WILL NOT FALL FOR THE BIG REPUB-NEOCON LIES EVER AGAIN!!!

Posted by: VitalCenter | August 5, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Dude you've got some serious issues here! :0

Posted by: jeezz | August 5, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Whether you are for McCain or Obama:

1. Not all bikers are Hell's Angels!
2. Harley's use way less gas than cars...or RV's etc.
3. Harley's are built totally in the USA..by American workers with American made parts. How's your Toyota or Suzuki or whatever?

Just commenting...I always said I wanted my own Harley for my 50th BD; I got breast cancer instead. But OK, I'm a survivor, and still not sure who I'm voting for...but I don't like people categorizing others for their preferences, like biking, or whatever. That's what American is about; we can be different, we can disagree, but we are still Americans.

Posted by: Nancy Goodreau | August 5, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

I want to see Obama carry two occupied body bags up to Bush's door.

Posted by: cygonaut | August 5, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Yes, motorcycles are 'fun' to drive around. My car has a 15 gallon tank, my Honda VTX has nearly a 5 gallaon tank. In my car I can travel 400 miles and on my bike I can go a bit over 200. You do the math...douchebag.

Posted by: Rush | August 5, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

You obviously have no fun

Posted by: Mike Porter | August 5, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey I know...
Let's just find events where there's already lots of people & we'll force McCain down their throats. Anyone can last 5 minutes...
This is so pathetic. I've been to Sturgis & Sturgis is NOT McCain country. Unless he can get his wife to take her top off that is.
Maybe he could hit Disneyland I hear there's a pretty big crowd there.

Posted by: Chapman | August 5, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

umm . . . I'd bet a tank of gas that none of those bikers would waste a gallon to go see McSame speak. They were there for Sturgis, not for his speech.

Posted by: Ted | August 5, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

How much gas did those bikers waste to come and hear McCain speak..... McCain is a JOKER

Posted by: Ron | August 4, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

It sure seems like Democrats want gas to go up, because it would cause Americans to drive less, which would help in the fight against "global warming."

These Obama-Pelosi Democrats don't know the pain that the middle class is feeling at the pump. Did you all see Obama's luxury 757 aircraft with the words "Obama 08 President" stitched on his lazyboy aircraft seat? Did you know that Obama spends tens of thousands of dollars a year to send his children to private school, and yet he opposes school choice which many African Americans support?

Obama is out of touch with America.

Posted by: AJ | August 4, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

5 minutes? probably afraid he would get fragged. Another example of the incontinent meeting with the content.

Posted by: jakeD's shadow | August 4, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Hell's Angels for McCain? I hear they are contributing one of the new models to him, with a special bracket to hold their walkers....

Posted by: tom | August 4, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Any question that John McRove is playing the white race card. God help a brother in that crowd.

Posted by: RJD | August 4, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Ummm, Steve you might want to consider that some of us ride motorcycles because they are less wasteful of fuel than cars. You're not likely to find us hanging around Sturgis, though.

Posted by: Ted | August 4, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Well,...There's a good reason why most Harley riders only need half a helmet...

Posted by: No_Straight_Pipes | August 4, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

what a moron...

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | August 4, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Ha. President Straight Pipe Express.

Posted by: Ted | August 4, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I wonder how the U.S. got to be so wasteful with its gas, compared to every other country in the world. I wonder, who the hell drives around for fun?

It's clowns like these. Only douchebags ride motorcycles.

Posted by: Steve Charb | August 4, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse