Note to Readers

By the Editors
On July 24th, The Trail had its one-year anniversary. And what a year it's been -- 3,364 posts, by dozens of writers (and about nearly dozens of presidential candidates), generating more than 169,000 reader comments.

As the campaign 2008 ads wars heat up, along with the August temperature, the candidates themselves are slowing down. Barack Obama will soon take a vacation to Hawaii, John McCain is taking weekends without public events and, starting tomorrow, this blog will be undergoing some technical improvements that should make the site better, faster and more accessible to our military and government readers who work within networks that block access to urls containing the word "blog."

From noon on Tuesday until around 3 p.m. on Wednesday, the Trail -- as well as other Washington Post blogs -- will be migrating to a new hosting facility, updating its software and generally straightening the technological drapes. And that means there won't be new posts or fresh comments posted here for the duration of the upgrade. News from the trail will continue, of course, and can be found on the homepage.

Thanks for reading, thanks for commenting and thanks for making us a part of your political day.

By Web Politics Editor  |  August 4, 2008; 5:00 PM ET
Categories:  About The Trail
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Left Keeps Hammering McCain Oil Ties
Next: McCain Gets Bikers' Motors Running in S.D.

Comments

Whoever placed the post at 11:40 is a little out of touch. The Rehnquisition is over. He's gone. But not to worry, Roberts and Alito are on the Supreme Court now, to protect the Right of the State (which is to say, the officials who run the government) to do whatever it (they) want.

Posted by: Iconoblaster | August 5, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

"There has been a lot of talk about how these discussion boards inspire public participation," said Andrew Keen, a cultural commentator and author. "But these people brook no real discussion. They vilify anyone who disagrees with them. It's not particularly antidemocratic. But I don't think it lends itself to building a richer democracy."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

These people? In terms of "vilifying anyone who disagree with them," that charge could be leveled at candidates from both major parties. The difference here is that we are not bucking for public office on the taxpayer teat. Of course regular citizens are going to be frustrated with the mess that is our government. Judge Rehnquist, who was a key player in Operation Eagle Eye, and who made his bones fighting against the right for black people to vote, is now Chief Justice. I'm sure that makes the KKK happy. Me, a bleeding heart liberal, not so much. McCain married into a powerful Arizona crime family. And no one cares. The Bush people have politicized the military and the judicial branch. The justice department is even breaking the law now. And we have sunk 2+ trillion on a war with a country that never invaded us. To build a democracy in an arab country that would like nothing more than to kick us out so they can sell their oil to the highest bidder- Russian, Chinese, America, whomever has the most green. Yes, of course the discourse on these boards is going to get funky. People are upset that we, the greatest nation on earth won't educate or provide health care for our own citizens. Our own people. And the press is complicit in this sorry state of affairs. It has influence- and what does it use it for? Certainly not for the betterment of our citizenry. We've been top dogs for 60 years. Have ruled the world. And we are too ignorant to teach our kids. Too sick to care for the sick.

Thanks for the board, guys. But you media people can do better.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

thing is, and I'm trying to be honest.... but I'm afraid of ending up in a bean pie if Obama is elected. I had a dream.... that one day, wait, that was the movie Soylent Green .... I'm confused, I know I hate Obama and I'm sure I will think of a logical reason...

Posted by: jakeD's shadow | August 4, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping they would merge with Warcraft, World at War and I could nuke JakeD, or at least 2nd Life and we could jump him and pummel him with a representative 4 finger fists... or better Grand Thft Auto and I could swing by in my Camaro and chain him at 55 mph. C'mon, let's get to the future with these comment blogs!!! (Maybe you could sell us the chains, by weight and destructive power).

Posted by: pubichaironmycokecan | August 4, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

did I say golfing, I meant to say gulping... as in choking down mass quanities of weiner bone.

Posted by: jakeD's shadow | August 4, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Jake D. is I believe handicapped and blogs all day. He is homebound

{{{{{{{{{{
who is JakeD and why isn't he honorably employed? Is JakeD really a politician or perhaps a Congressional aide? Mayhap a lobbyist looking for a politician to buy? Or seeking to be the next "unnamed source" for WaPo?

Posted by: FastJack | August 4, 2008 9:12 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I just posted a "Thank You" on the LA Times. Let's see if it makes it past the censors!

Posted by: Dianne72 | August 4, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I think JakeD is awesome. I never read his posts. But I do know he annoys people like I do. Kudos to JakeD I of course was published in the LA Times! LOL!

Posted by: Dianne72 | August 4, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FastJack | August 4, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Note to Elizabeth Spayd:

Please do not impose screening prior to publication -- the "report abuse" button allows for profanity and anything really over the top to be taken care of properly -- otherwise, pre-censoring what gets posted would discourage, not "encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features". Thank you, once again, for giving us a reasonable forum to express ourselves.

Posted by: JakeD | August 4, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I have never posted as "Dianne72".

Posted by: JakeD | August 4, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

[url=http://www.xanga.com/sumatriptan_imitrex]coupons for imitrex[/url]

Posted by: sumatiptan | August 4, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

WaPo - good stuff. We have to suffer thru JakeD and Dianne72 his alter ego,,, oh well, ain't nuttin perfect

Posted by: Daddio on the Paddio | August 4, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

And oh, Washington Post Web Master, while you're at it, after you follow my request to bring user registration back so no one can steal someone else's user name, could you also install a new feature that will blot out all of my raving mad egotistical delusions and instead replace them with an ASCII text that reads" "I'm completely full of bull sh*t"? And oh, while you're at it could you come over my house and install a little beverage cozy for my diet Coke at the edge of my computer table? That way I don't have to get my fat a** out of my computer chair to get a cold one and it'll give me more time to formulate my ridiculous rants which in turn feeds my narrow-minded hate mongering. Thanks.

Posted by: JakeD | August 4, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Did you see Mccain today. He was reading from notes he had in his hands. Nothing wrong with that but he would look at them then begin to speak. Then he would stop in mid sentence and look back at the notes not seeming to be able to find his place and then commit about another sentence or two to memory and begin to speak again. He appears to be in what I think you can only describe as a rapid mental decline. I know it looks like they are trying to stretch him out to the election but this is getting a little strange. Is this the elephant in the room or what. He is acting like he is losing his mind by the day. When it thins going to be addressed?

-------
Never mind, I have confirmed my suspicions if he is indeed expected to attend a private fundraiser on Aug. 12 at the Halekulani Hotel. This alleged "vacation" is simply off-the-record prep for having to be on the same stage as McCain -- did anyone think he beat Hillary in those debates -- no wonder Obama refused to appear with McCain in 10 town hall meetings.

Posted by: JakeD | August 4, 2008 6:13 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Second the Registering ID's Thing!

Impostor Posters are lower than low! :-(

Then JakeD Golfing-LOL!

FORE! Five! Finally past the Ladies markers...

Six! Poor Ball screaming: "I can't swim! I can't SWIM!!!

Eight! Whoa! Beach real estate-on the sand!

Nine! "As you look below, you can see the fifth Green, but remain Fastened in as this flight continues..."

Ten! Pilot repeats previous announcement...

JakeD reaches for Pencil, picks up ball and prepares to log another Par Score! ;~)

Posted by: SAINT-The | August 4, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | August 4, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if Obama's "vacation" is set for before, or after, the Saddleback Civil Forum on 8/16?

Posted by: JakeD | August 4, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

How will we ever survive?

Posted by: matt | August 4, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I thought this was a faceless allegation but it is easily researched and will be found to be true. ------

-----Thanks for the heads up.

Quick question: why haven't you guys written an article about McCain allegedly marrying into the mafia?

If Obama loses, you know that black scholars are going to investigate the "double standards" in the media. And if Obama had done something 1/10th as serious as allegedly marrying into the mob, it'd be a HUGE scandal.

Posted by: Corruption Anonymous | August 4, 2008 5:47 PM

------

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope you add a registration process and I mean a good one. You need to be able to block posters who abuse this site and write vulgar posts with no redeeming value

Posted by: pop a smoke | August 4, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

CA:

We aren't talking about the Rev. Wright anymore, are we?

Posted by: JakeD | August 4, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up.

Posted by: Corruption Anonymous | August 4, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

"News from the trail will continue, of course..."

This is sad news, indeed.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

We have met the JakeD and he is us!

Posted by: JakeD | August 4, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

So much for cherishing Freedom of Speech from the left ; )

Posted by: JakeD | August 4, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Nice one JakeD!!

Posted by: JakeD | August 4, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, as if I would actually go golfing. How about screening out the whacko right-wing trolls while yer at it!

Posted by: JakeD | August 4, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome -- perfect timing, really, since I am golfing tomorrow -- can we get user registration back as well, so that no one can steal someone else's user name? Thanks.

Posted by: JakeD | August 4, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse