Obama Downplays Speech Expectations

By Anne E. Kornblut
MOLINE, Ill. -- Sen. Barack Obama downplayed expectations on Monday for his convention address later this week, saying he expects it to be a more "workmanlike" speech than the one he gave in 2004.

Obama, holding his first press conference in weeks, also continued to demur on the question of how seriously he had considered Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton as his running mate. He said he had always said she would be "on anybody's short list."

Asked whether she had been on his, Obama replied: "I think you can draw that conclusion."

He heaped praise on both Clintons, saying he looked forward to their speeches, and set aside the notion that he had tried to direct what former president Bill Clinton should say in his address on Wednesday. Obama said that in their phone call last Thursday night, he told Clinton: "Mr. President, you can say whatever you like."

Obama has been working on his convention speech during the past few days and is still refining it; he seemed aware that, after the 2004 convention speech that launched him to national stardom he will be hard-pressed to match his own act. He also suggested that, rather than relying on lofty rhetoric, he would talk about concrete issues that are important to voters.

By Web Politics Editor  |  August 25, 2008; 4:22 PM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Barack Obama , Conventions , Democratic Party
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cindy McCain Heading to Republic of Georgia
Next: Biden in Denver, a Natural Campaigner

Comments

JakeD,
Well if you want a group of we to bring about change obviously you need a leader in the fight. So the answer to your question is yes Obama is a part of it.

My brother-in-law is registered independent but it's a joke because he votes Republican year after year. I guess he eases his conscience when thing go wrong.

Posted by: AverageJane | August 25, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

AverageJane:

I am certainly not trying to "bully" you, and I am registered Independent, not Republican. Perhaps you can answer this: When Obama says "We are the ones we've been waiting for" that means that Obama is one of the "we" right?

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

JakeD,
Obama has said, We are the ones we've been waiting for! I've heard him say it numerous times. If you can't understand the concept of we I can't help you. If you have a hearing comprehension problema I can't help you.

What I can do and have done is for the first time in my 54 years I've donated to a political campaign, wrote letters to the editor, have a political sign in my yard and now because of you, I've just volunteered to travel to help in a battle ground state.

It is because of people like you that people like me are tired of being drowned out by bullys. I won't be pushed around anymore, not this time, not this year. I will become a true patriot and I will demand my country back. Thank God we won't need guns for this revolution. It is something a Republican could never understand.

My sacrifice for the cause will be nothing compared to the first ones.

Posted by: AverageJane | August 25, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Funky stuff!

The One! The One!

Just kidding!

Posted by: acarponzo | August 25, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Terry:

I have never called him the "Messiah" -- if anything, he would be a false messiah -- but he considers HIMSELF to be "The One" we've been waiting for.

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Look out Republicans, you are about to feel the fury of Obama. If you think he is only capable of lofty rhetoric, you haven't been listening to him at all.

And that is why you can't understand why he has attracted millions to hear his message. He's not our Messiah as you mockingly call him, he's the voice of the true patriots who have been bullied into silence for too many years.

Posted by: Terry | August 25, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

LOL!!! Pelosi Tells Disappointed Clinton Supporters to Avoid 'Victim Politics'

Isn't 'Victim Politics' what the entire Democratic Party is built upon?!

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

There is only so many days left and so many subjects to discuss and debate. You waste your time doing that? You don't have to read blogs very much to see the difference in the quality of the posts by Obama supporters and the Mccain people. Wast your time if you must. Do you "HAVE" any points or is that it? I thought so.

----------
I am Barack Obama and I approve this message.

I chose Joe Biden because he is the national spokesman for "Just For Men." And as President, I know my hair will be getting grey after putting in my 3 hrs in the gym everyday and my 25 hr work weeks.

I want Joe Biden because he has the hook-up for "Just For Men" which, just like the way I was hooked on coke in my younger years, I plan to get addicted to this fine product the same way the American people are addicted to oil, guns, and religion.

I am Barack Obama and I endorse this message.

Posted by: Barack Obama | August 25, 2008 4:43 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

The McBush references are nauseating. Obama's main strategy, thus far, has been to link his opponents to GW Bush. He even linked HRC and Bill to GW. Is this the new kind of politics the Obama the Change Agent was promising - smear your opponent, change your positions and then have your surrogates call it "good politics" and "being pragmatic" and "moving toward the center". Can't this guy just run on his ideas and record!

Posted by: David | August 25, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Anne - it's "Davenport, IA" not "Davenport, ILL"

Posted by: Rolla, MO | August 25, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

REPUBLICAN CONVENTION SCHEDULE LEAKED!

7:00 pm – Ceremonial burning of the U.S. Constitution

7:15 pm – Spiritual Medium Sylvia Browne performs psychic séance in desperate attempt to raise Ronald Reagan from the grave

7:35 pm – "The Pleasures of Adultery" - with Newt Gingrich & Rudy Giuliani

8:05 pm – Gay sex party in Minneapolis airport's Men's Restroom hosted by Senator Larry Craig

8:35 pm - Transvestite Ann Coulter – "My Life as a Man"

8:55 pm – Live satellite feed from Federal Prison – Ohio Rep. Bob Ney

9:05 pm – Guest speaker ex-Florida Congressman Mark Foley "Joys with Young Boys"

9:25 pm – Oliver North – "Iran is Evil, but I sold them weapons anyway"

9:40 pm – Bill O' Reilly – "The costs of sexual harassment and phone sex with employees"

10:00 pm – Gay sex party in Men's Room hosted by Ken Mehlman and Geraldo Rivera

10:25 pm – Check on McCain to see if he's still breathing and if his adult diaper needs to be changed.

10:35 pm – N.R.A. President hosts an assault riffle target practice on Gays and Mexicans.

10:45 pm - Call emergency squad after a drunken Darth Cheney accidentally shoots his friend in the face.

11:00 pm – Bush performs his hilarious comedy routine where he looks for Iraq's fictitious WMD's under guests tables.

11:15 pm – Mike Huckabee does his famous uncanny imitation of Gomer Pyle.

11:20 pm – Group intervention to get Rush Limbaugh back into drug rehab

11:45 pm – Go up on rooftop and throw rocks down at homeless Vets sleeping in alley.

12:00 am – Live satellite feed from Federal Prison –California Congressman Randy "Duke" Cunningham

12:20 am – Convicted felon/Fox News analyst G. Gordon Liddy – Lock picking secrets

12:40 am – Guest speakers Donald Rumsfeld and Paul Wolfowitz – "How to lie your Country into a War"

1:00 am – Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay –"Tips on Money Laundering"

1:15 am – Hookers arrive for after party

Posted by: not JakeD | August 25, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

John McBush owns at least seven times as many houses as Barack Obama. He's had twice as many marriages and is 50% older than his opponent. Surely his convention bounce will be at least double Obama's, no?

So let's set down a benchmark of our own for him:

If John McBush fails to see a 30-point spike coming out of the Republican convention, then we can be sure his candidacy is an utter failure.

Posted by: InsultComicDog | August 25, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Im JakeD,
and I get paid,
For my posts,
all day.

Im JakeD,
I sit in my desk,
all day,
so I can be a pest.

Im JakeD,
I report to duty,
Today and tommorow,
So I can make dwell in YOUR SORROW!!!!

Aw yeah,
Aw Yeah,
Aw Yeah!

I get paid,
not like you,
my account gets fatter,
while yours gets thinner,
cuz ur a lozer,
and cuz I'm a winner.

KEEPINITREALZ4EVAYO!

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Hello fake JakeD at 4:39pm.

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I am Barack Obama and I approve this message.

I am Barack Obama and I endorse this message.

Posted by: Barack Obama | August 25, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

That's O.K. with me, all JakeD posts, all the time. Maybe the next time The One allows a press conference, one of those "reporters" could ask if he promised Biden the VP spot months ago (before he claimed to have put Hillary on any "short list")?

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Ima JakeD
you fear me, yo

Ima JakeD
Ima hear y'know

Ima JakeD
reprezentin', yo

Ima winna, not a stonecold killa,
Ima lova, but not a playa,

Ima hear,
to talk polics, yo, yo, yo
In the WaPo, po, po, po

WERKIN' IT!

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Is The One gettign scared?

"I think you can draw that conclusion."

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I'ma da JakeD . .
I'ma da JakeD . .
I'ma da JakeD . .
JakeD, JakeD, JakeD . .

Aww yeah,
Aw yeah,
Aww yeah, yeah, yeah. . .

You fear me,
You clearly,
Cant stand me,

Ima like-a mole,
Who'se on parole,
But I aint selling ma soul,

Posted by: JakeD | August 25, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse