Obama Meets with Kerry Antagonist

By Shailagh Murray
RENO, Nev. -- Sen. Barack Obama talked energy this morning with T. Boone Pickens, the Texas oil and gas billionaire who helped finance the Swiftboat attacks on Sen. John Kerry in 2004.

Pickens requested the meeting, which was held in a conference room at a Reno casino. The two discussed the Pickens Plan, which aims to replace foreign oil supplies with alternative domestic sources, including a wind corridor that would stretch from Texas to the Canadian border.

When the two men posed for pictures, a reporter asked Obama how it felt to be meeting with the man "who tore down" the party's last presidential nominee. Pickens smiled awkwardly.

"Ah, you know, he's got a lot longer track record than that," Obama said. "He's been doing, ah, he's a legendary entrepreneur and you know one of the things that I think we have to unify the country around is having an intelligent energy policy."

The energy cause is a big one, he continued, and Pickens could play a vital role. "Everybody knows that if we keep on going on the same track that we're going, that we are giving our wealth away, we're funding both sides in the war on terror," Obama said. "We're going to be - over the long term - putting enormous pressure on ordinary families here in America who just aren't going to be able to afford skyrocketing gasoline prices and home heating prices, so this is one of those issues that I think should unify the country. That's what we're going to be talking about."

By Post Editor  |  August 17, 2008; 1:41 PM ET
Categories:  A_Blog , B_Blog , Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rick Warren in the Spotlight
Next: Biden Trip to Georgia Stokes VP Chatter

Comments

Where is Don Quixote when you need him!?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Avoid this Pickens swiftboater scumbag!

He is a snake in the grass, and one of the reasons our nation is so bad off right now!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

McCain should have been asked during the forum, the question: Do you think an adulterer will go to heaven? What should happen to a husband/father who abandons their children and cripple wife to marry another extremely young, (half nuts) rich woman?! He should have been asked, "does he think that a rich man can make it to heaven, becaue the bible says tht a rich man's chances of gaining access into heaven, is like a camel trying to go through the eye of a needle, especially after dumping his wife and children!!

Posted by: Yes We can! | August 18, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

McFool is a dumb dough dough bird...he cheats, lies, steals, and is an adulturer! He has no morals and he sleeps with Lobbyist! I don't want him to run the country that I love so much! I have had it with the old politics as usual idiots! I can't wait to go to the convention on Sunday afternoon. I am geared up and ready!! We have your back Obama! Don't you worry about it. If America picks another dumb, retarded President, then the idiots get exactly what they deserve! Four more years of heartache and pain and the option of loosing everything that we have worked so hard for the past 25 years! McCain cheated on Saturday night and more networks need to call him and his campaign on it. We, the American people need to start holding these networks (i.e. fox, cnn, etc) responsible for shielding McNut!

Posted by: Yes We Can! | August 18, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Mccain stole his speech from Wikipedia, he stole the cross story from Solzhenitsyn, and he cheated during the faith forum with Rick Warren. Rick Warren said Mccain was placed in a solem when he wasn't even in the building. It was a great night for Mccain because he new the answers to the questions. This is getting ridiculous. Why wasn't Mccain excluded in a room like Rick Warren said. Rich Warren must have known that Mccain wasn't in the building before he sat down with Obama. Every body is trying to elect another dumb, ignorant president that don't know anything regardless how dangerous he is. The American people better wake up and keep the journalist honest and stop taking bribes from the Mccain campaign lobbyist that stalks them on a daily basis to push Mccain talking points and agenda's.

Posted by: Tony | August 18, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

>>>I saw a city which is 67% black, struggle with the decades-old problems of institutionalized racism. The schools here teach nothing, teenage pregnancy rates are as high as ever, and melanin will get you closer to prison than a bad laywer (sic). Many young blacks drop out of school, never able to imagine a bright future for themselves. Hard work is something most of them know well as they slave away in the hot kitchens feeding fat, white tourists. I know they don't think that working to dehydrated exhaustion every night will be an ultimate ticket out of the inner city. Prodigious musical or athletic talent is the most reliable, albeit very rare salvation for the descendents (sic) of slaves here, many of whom remember having to sit at the back of the bus and suffer daily indignities in the land of the slave and the home of the tree. At the turn of the 19th century 11 Italian immigrants were hanged, lynched; but the outcry was muted because they were not thought to be white. Just the other day I was discussing a local artisan with someone. Not certain if we were talking about the same person, I said that the person I knew was black. he laughed wildly as if I had asked a stupid question; "NO", was all he said.

We have a lot of work to do both globally and locally. Senator Obama is the man to get the job done (and Hillary would have been the woman).

It seems that you've swallowed the American Dream fantasy; sort of as I had, back when I was 11.

Posted by: Michael Nunziante III | August 17, 2008 7:21 PM

Michael Nunziante III...What in heck are you blabbering about? Blaming the "system" and shortcomings of folks on others?

There's a such thing as responsibility. Each person knows that. And people make a choice in the direction of their lives, too. That's the breaks. If you make a decision that's wrong for you, then it's up to you to right the ship and take off.

I've seen for much of my life how folks in the Black sisterhood and brotherhood end up when they take little or no responsibility for their life, waiting for someone else to pick up after them. Yes...unfortunate things happen to people. But you know what, since you happen to mention teenage pregnancy, and by extension - teenage parents? Being a teenage parent is no excuse to fix what's wrong in a person's life, too. I was that teenage mom at one time, too, and I'm not complaining. You know why? Because I and others like me took responsibility for our own lives. I'm a 52 YO black woman, and my only daughter is now 38 years old. (I had no more children since I was 14 years old, unlike others that go on and on and now complain that they can't do it without more money from other than working). And you know what else? I graduated from those Washington, DC inner city schools, managed to work full-time since my teenage years and even finished an Associate of Science degree, Bachelor of Science degree, Master of Science degree and an MBA to boot. And on top of that, I've managed to at fund college tuition for my daughter's son who is now 19 years old. And this my coming from a child of the DC ghetto. See??? People like me aren't hiding under a rock. We're in full view because we aren't full of ourselves, going around blaming folks and handing off our responsibilities on others, not to mention whining what government is or isn't doing for us.

So, get on with your life and stop buying in the poverty pimping attitude. It's unflattering and does not become anyone that I know of.

Posted by: So What | August 17, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

MikeinAZ:

I'm dealing in facts not theory.

First of all, the polls for both candidates have been remarkably steady this summer. They've even shown graphs on TV with the pollsters. McCain hasn't slipped. I just checked the latest polls, Gallup Poll: TIE 45% - Rasmussen Poll: Obama 47% - McCain 45%. This is amazing with the President's approval at 33%, Obama should have a huge lead over McCain, but he doesn't.

This excerpt is in a UK paper today:

"More than 30 Democrats have signed up to sponsor legislation that could pave the way for fresh drilling off America's coasts. Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has also moderated his stance, moving from staunch opposition to suggesting that new drilling could be part of a new energy strategy. That shift led to accusations from some of his supporters that he had flip-flopped."

Also, I hear even Pelosi is now open to hold off-shore drilling debates in Congress.

Everybody knows off-shore drilling is long-range and we know it's a political red herring for McCain and Obama.

But the fact remains, when OPEC heard that the US was going to lift the ban, that's when the price of oil dropped.

And Mike, just because I'm telling you the facts about what really happened, doesn't mean I'm in Bush's camp. All I'm doing is telling it like it is.

By the way, I don't drink Koolaid, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I happen to be an Independent.

Posted by: J | August 17, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Wake up people!!! If Mc cain wins we will have another 4 years of the same. An once again the same stupid people that were fooled by Bush will be asking themselves why did they fall for the same bull crap again! Dumb is as Dumb does.

Posted by: 8yearsoffear | August 17, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

@Michael Nunziante III, consider yourself a racist. Consider yourself prejudiced. I am a white southern republican and unfortunately have heard too many racists like yourself spew prejudice like you are doing only to encourage others to accept your bias. By the way, how well did your Now Orleans mayor do with social services during and after Katrina? Horribly. But of course you blame Bush. How convenient for you to ignore the poor performances of those who are in charge of your own city and it's transportation system. It was a natural disaster in the most corrupt city in the nation, closely followed perhaps by Chicago. You are complaining about the schools not teaching,... how about parents accepting some responsibility for the students attitudes toward learning. Of course it is much easier to blame someone else for that too, naturally. When you freely use the word racist,... you are using the word in a derogatory sense but at the same moment you are showing your own form of racism and prejudice. But of course, as always, blame someone else, that excuses the lack of personal responsibility. Watch this Michael Nunziante III, watch what happens after I make the following statement, I was raised in a very poor family and worked my way out of it, now I am not poor anymore, I am indeed considered wealthy. I put myself through school, I worked hard and sacrificed for over two decades seven days a week and often got little sleep. I risked everything but protected it with dedication and focus, no one insured me but myself and my own determination to succeed. I challenge everyone to do the same, but they won't. They will demand government (we the people) give them a easier ride than I got for the very justification you spewed about atrocities committed many years ago. If Obama wins this election it will be because he worked hard for it, everyone black, white, yellow or purple has the same opportunity but few accept the hard work required to rise to the top. It's far easier to use someone else as an excuse for lack of inspiration and determination. Stop your jealously and petty accusations and take responsibility for your own life, Obama has proven it is possible.

Posted by: americanswede | August 17, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

to librairie -

HRC was cutting deals with Richard Melon Scaife - so don't act like she has moral superiority on the subject of working with people who promote right wing paranoia.

She lost - build a bridge and get over it.

Posted by: WB | August 17, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

@americanswede,
I came to New Orleans in 1978 with $400 and some clothing. I worked hard and amassed a net worth similar to yours. Katrina took it all. This administration has done nothing to fulfill its responsibility to protect Americans from natural disaster.

I am still working hard, after depleting my life savings to keep my stores open. I still cannot live in my home.

I came to the deep South from New York with some trepidation about race relations here. I was already appalled by the racism in the North. I was told by many Southern, white, Republicans that they wished blacks were still slaves. I heard the N word more in the first year here than in my whole prior life.

I watched with the rest of America as our Bill of Rights was dismantled by the "Patriot Act".

I saw a city which is 67% black, struggle with the decades-old problems of institutionalized racism. The schools here teach nothing, teenage pregnancy rates are as high as ever, and melanin will get you closer to prison than a bad laywer. Many young blacks drop out of school, never able to imagine a bright future for themselves. Hard work is something most of them know well as they slave away in the hot kitchens feeding fat, white tourists. I know they don't think that working to dehydrated exhaustion every night will be an ultimate ticket out of the inner city. Prodigious musical or athletic talent is the most reliable, albeit very rare salvation for the descendents of slaves here, many of whom remember having to sit at the back of the bus and suffer daily indignities in the land of the slave and the home of the tree. At the turn of the 19th century 11 Italian immigrants were hanged, lynched; but the outcry was muted because they were not thought to be white. Just the other day I was discussing a local artisan with someone. Not certain if we were talking about the same person, I said that the person I knew was black. he laughed wildly as if I had asked a stupid question; "NO", was all he said.

Posted by: Michael Nunziante III | August 17, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

This is probably why the guys like Pickens and Perot have kept their distance from McCain. They know him well.

"“McCain’s personal fortune traces back to organized crime in Arizona.”

Posted by: Corruption Anon | August 17, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

librairie, I have read the constitution,...and? I've lived in other countries, this country is by far not ruined,...yet. Keep up the name calling and no appreciating the freedoms of America,it will be lost. If you want to be have wealth, get off your butt and quit making excuses and get busy! The land of opportunity awaits your contributions and will reward your efforts with a comfortable, free and safe life. Other countries only wish for these things and you liberals hate the only country I have found with such abundant opportunities and freedoms. Stop hating the land of the free, get over your jealousies, and stop giving yourself excuses by claiming someone else is resposible for your own unwillingness to be part of free enterprise. Oh you whine too much and do too little. Take advantage of the opportunities and become wealthy like I did. It isn't easy but it is possible. Don't take the easy road, too many others are on it.

Posted by: americanswede | August 17, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

SOME citizens have the misguided opinion that those who offer criticism of one's nation and society somehow love that nation and society LESS. Does that seem logical? What would we say about a parent who deeply loves his/her offspring, sees that offspring engaing in self-destructive behavior, and offers that offspring some hard truth? Does that parent love the child LESS?....or MORE? than the parent who observes and says/does NOTHING!

Posted by: Concerned Citizen | August 17, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

americaswede you need to read the Constitution of the United States!!!
I don't care how MUCH MONEY YOU have.

Leave it to Obama to be meeting with a person like Pickens......THAT! says a lot about Obama. Pickens the king of GREED!, and we can thank him for GWB being in the White House & destroying the country for 8 years.

Write In Hillary 2008 the TRUE LEGITIMATE Democratic candidate with 18+ Million historic votes........

Posted by: librairie | August 17, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

obama sucks up pickens is the name of this article.

what a piece of work obama is

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I just wondered what you liberals have been deprived of while living in the USA. Are you hungry? Can't afford a car? WIll they not let you vote or travel to different countries? Are you having trouble getting medical care? Likely none of the above. America provides the best opportunities to have an abundant life, the most personal freedoms and security in the world. I've lived in many countries and since coming back to America 23 years ago and had three hunred dollars to my name, now I have a net worth over one million, thank you America for your generousity and freedoms. Ignore the America haters and the conspiracy theorists, it is the land of the free and home of the brave and many in the world knows they owe many of their freedoms to the spilled American blood sacrificed in the past. By the way liberals, I made my money working hard, being honest and providing a good product at a fair price. No evil here. Thank God for freedom.

Posted by: americanswede | August 17, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Campaign Diaries just released its full race-by-race House ratings, finding that Democrats are continuing to expand the map: http://campaigndiaries.com/2008/08/17/house-ratings-will-the-dccc-succeed-in-putting-the-third-tier-in-play

Posted by: Dan | August 17, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Would this be a preview of the future. There should be no enemies when it comes to energy. China now leads in Manufacturing should be a wake up call to all parties.

Posted by: Tom | August 17, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Bacevich graduated from West Point in 1969 and served in the United States Army during the Vietnam War, serving in Vietnam from the summer of 1970 to the summer of 1971. Afterwards he held posts in Germany, including the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, the United States, and the Persian Gulf up to his retirement from the service with the rank of Colonel in the early 1990s. He holds a Ph.D. in American Diplomatic History from Princeton University, and taught at West Point and Johns Hopkins University prior to joining the faculty at Boston University in 1998.

On May 13, 2007, Bacevich's son, also named Andrew J. Bacevich, was killed in action in Iraq by a suicide bomber south of Samarra in Salah Ad Din Province. The younger Bacevich, 27, was a First Lieutenant.[3] He was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 8th U.S. Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division.

Bacevich also has three daughters.[3]

Books by Andrew J Bacevich

War Over Kosovo: Politics and Strategy in a ... - 2001 - 256 pages
American Military Policy in Small Wars: The ... - 1988 - 76 pages
American Empire: The Realities and ... - 2002 - 316 pages

The Limits of Power: The End of American Exceptionalism by Andrew Bacevich (Hardcover - Aug 5, 2008)

From Publishers Weekly
In this caustic critique of the growing American penchant for empire and sense of entitlement, Bacevich (The New American Militarism) examines the citizenry's complicity in the current economic, political, and military crisis. A retired army colonel, the author efficiently pillories the recent performance of the armed forces, decrying it as an expression of domestic dysfunction, with leaders and misguided strategies ushering the nation into a global war of no exits and no deadlines. Arguing that the tendency to blame solely the military or the Bush administration is as illogical as blaming Herbert Hoover for the Great Depression, Bacevich demonstrates how the civilian population is ultimately culpable; in citizens' appetite for unfettered access to resources, they have tacitly condoned the change of military service from a civic function into an economic enterprise. Crisp prose, sweeping historical analysis and searing observations on the roots of American decadence elevate this book from mere scolding to an urgent call for rational thinking and measured action, for citizens to wise up and put their house in order. (Sept. 1)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Review

“In this utterly original book, Andrew Bacevich explains how our ‘empire of consumption’ contains the seeds of its own destruction and why our foreign policy establishment in Washington is totally incapable of coming to grips with it. Indispensable reading for every citizen.”—Chalmers Johnson, author of the Blowback Trilogy

"A clear-eyed look into the abyss of America's failed wars, and the analysis needed to climb out. In Andrew Bacevich, realism and moral vision meet."—James Carroll, author of House of War

“In The Limits of Power, Andrew Bacevich takes aim at America’s culture of exceptionalism and scores a bulls eye. He reminds us that we can destroy all that we cherish by pursuing an illusion of indestructibility.”—Lt. Gen. Bernard E. Trainor USMC (Ret.), co-author of The General’s War and Cobra II
“Andrew Bacevich has written a razor sharp dissection of the national myths which befuddle U.S. approaches to the outside world and fuel the Washington establishment’s dangerous delusions of omnipotence. His book should be read by every concerned US citizen.”—Anatol Lieven, author of America Right or Wrong: An Anatomy of American Nationalism

“In The Limits of Power, Andrew Bacevich delivers precisely what the Republic has so desperately needed: an analysis of America's woes that goes beyond the villain of the moment, George W. Bush, and gets at the heart of the delusions that have crippled the country's foreign policy for decades. Bacevich writes with a passionate eloquence and moral urgency that makes this book absolutely compelling. Everyone should read it.”—Mark Danner, author of Torture and Truth: America, Abu Ghraib, and the War on Terror

Posted by: Concerned Citizen | August 17, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

According to the Pickens ad the USA with 20% Solar energy can only help America.

Obama's goal of retooling the Auto industry. Car with 50 mpg around the corner.

The idea of Americans working together from all walks of life, all parties to solve the energy problems appeals to everyone.

Posted by: Annie | August 17, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

T B Pickens has baited his trap with both parties , don't go for the cheese.
He will own his share of either one when it gets all said and done. The working class in America will be cheated.

Posted by: Westexacan | August 17, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Where do you people come up with so much nonsense? You blame big business for the worlds problems? You say it is a bad idea to drill in US territory because it would take five years to get the product to market? You call Americans the most disrespectful names exposing your prejudice? First, big business is not a person, it is a collection of citizens investing their savings to get a return. Business creates employment opportunities and that is bad? Do you use the products of "Big Business"? If so, you are a hypocrite. Bad idea to drill becuase of the five year delay? Should have started drilling five years ago. Five years from now, same story, should have started five years ago. Try hard not to let your prejudice and hatred blind your judgement and common sense. And one more piece of advice, don't call Americans hateful names, if it weren't for America's blood sacrificed for freedom, you wouldn't have the right to say those ignorant and hateful words in public. Foolish words you people are speaking, you have no idea what you have in America. No idea at all, and this will be the reason it will be lost forever.

Posted by: americanswede | August 17, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Fool me once shame on me fool me twice... is that how the saying goes? Well, why is America so easily fooled so often with Republican rhetoric? They come out every election year talking about taxes being raised, being tough, etc...
They put us in debt, lie to us each time, and continue down the path of making the rich richer, increasing the size of the poor class, and the middle class almost extinct.

McCain is campaiging on pride.
This was the same campaign that got America to support the Iraq war.

Notice how he keeps pushing the terms "quit", "lose", "unfinished".
My response to him is the resolve for 9/11.
We kept making excuses for the capture of Bin Laden, but we fight every reason to stay in Iraq. Even the media and so called political analyst have this twisted view.

GO OBAMA!!!

Posted by: Greg | August 17, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

The Rise of the Fourth Reich: The Secret Societies That Threaten to Take Over America by Jim Marrs (Hardcover - Jun 24, 2008)

Product Description

Throw out everything you think you know about history. Close the approved textbooks, turn off the corporate mass media, and whatever you do, don't believe anything you hear from the government—The Rise of the Fourth Reich reveals the truth about American power. In this explosive new book, the legendary Jim Marrs, author of the underground bestseller Rule by Secrecy, reveals the frighteningly real possibility that today the United States is becoming the Fourth Reich, the continuation of an ideology thought to have been vanquished more than a half century ago.

This concept may seem absurd to those who cannot see past the rose-colored spin, hype, and disinformation poured out daily by the media conglomerates—most of which are owned by the very same families and corporations who supported the Nazis before World War II. But as Marrs precisely explains, National Socialism never died, but rather its hideous philosophy is alive and active in modern America. Unfortunately, most people cannot understand the shadowy links between fascism and corporate power, the military, and our elected leaders.

While the United States helped defeat the Germans in World War II, we failed to defeat the Nazis. At the end of the war, ranking Nazis, along with their young and fanatical protégés, used the loot of Europe to create corporate front companies in many countries, including the United States of America. Utilizing their stolen wealth, men with Nazi backgrounds and mentalities wormed their way into corporate America, slowly buying up and consolidating companies into giant multinational conglomerates. Many thousands of other Nazis came to the United States under classified programs such as Project Paperclip. They brought with them miraculous weapon technology that helped win the space race but they also brought their insidious Nazi philosophy within our borders. This ideology based on the authoritarian premise that the end justifies the means—including unprovoked wars of aggression and curtailment of individual liberties—has gained an iron hold in the "land of the free and the home of the brave."

For the first time Jim Marrs has gathered compelling evidence that an effort has been underway for the past sixty years to bring a form of National Socialism to modern America, creating in essence a modern empire—or "Fourth Reich"!

About the Author

Award-winning journalist Jim Marrs is the New York Times bestselling author of Rule by Secrecy, Alien Agenda, and Crossfire—which served as a basis for the Oliver Stone film JFK. He lives in Texas.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen | August 17, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Those who DO not read are no better off than those who CAN not read!

American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War On America by Chris Hedges

The Mass Psychology of Fascism by Wilhelm Reich, Vincent Carfagno, and Vincent Carfango

How Fascism Ruled Women: Italy, 1922-1945 (A Centennial Book) by Victoria de Grazia

Friendly Fascism: The New Face of Power in America by Bertram Gross

Interpretations of Fascism by A. James Gregor

Benevolence and Betrayal: Five Italian Jewish Families Under Fascism by Alexander Stille

Fascism and the Right in Europe 1919-1945 (Seminar Studies in History Series) by Martin Blinkhorn

Fascism: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) by Kevin Passmore

The Anatomy of Fascism by Robert O. Paxton

Fascism (Oxford Readers) by Roger Griffin

Posted by: Concerned Citizen | August 17, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Nader is no better than the rest of the charlatans who want to be our "leaders". Those who seek political office in this climate of corruption and wholesale abrogation of responsibility are definitely not to be trusted. America is totally adrift without oars or a rudder or a compass, the boat has holes in it, sharks are circling, and the occupants are inebriated and celebrating a "nice sailing trip on the ocean"!

Posted by: Concerned Citizen | August 17, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

When will anyone understand that we're all screwed regardless what happens. Fascists have consolidated their power (read: Rise of the 4th Reicht). These guys are tools, and so is all of Congress. The Fascists have figured out that as long as they can get voters to the nearest Walmart, everything is fine with the World. Morons!

Posted by: pekopper | August 17, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

enough right wing fear mongering.

Posted by: theo | August 17, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Concerned citizen in this comment thread sees the parties as the same and we are all pawns of corporate greed. Wasn't that Nader's delusional, narcissistic demagoguery? Didn't that level of sophisticated thought deliver Florida to Bush? and turn us to 8 years of the worst leadership this country has ever seen? I'm a proud to own a gun conservative that has had enough of the dumbing down of the American intellect by the Rove advertising machine and the republicans. Obama is better than McCain, if it was a perfect world we would have had a better choice than these two people. I don't mean Clinton, but someone that had intellect, good judgement and management experience. None of these three have really managed any other than their staffs in government or of non-profits. At least Obama has the first two qualities. I believe that his advisers will help him on the third. The problem with McCain is that he doesn't seem to have either of the three. Geez he doesn't know how to send an email. How is he going to help America re-invent itself for a new world of alternative energy sources if he has no sense of the innovation that has defined the last 10 years?

Posted by: notonader | August 17, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

J-
I didn't say Obama was the reason prices were going down. I said prices went down because McCain was slipping in the polls. You can keep drinking the koolaid and believing that bush lifting the executive ban on drilling made any difference.
Everyone in the world (besides, apparently, you) knows that Congress has to vote to approve offshore drilling before any can take place.
Even if they voted for it tomorrow, it really wouldn't have any effect on prices right now.
Once drilling starts, we're a good five years before any oil hits the market. And there's no telling how much it will cost to get that oil out, anyway.
Offshore drilling is just another right wing political red herring. They know that democrats are strong on the environment, so they drag it out and say "Look how much sense this makes. You'd have to be stupid to vote against it!"
When the reality is that it is a stop-gap solution to a longterm problem that will have no effect any time soon anyway.

Posted by: Mike in AZ | August 17, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

SO?

Doesn't matter who meets with whom. Anyone who votes for the Repulicon Party would have to be insane.

I give you the last seven plus years as my rationale.

Posted by: Becca | August 17, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

MikeinAZ:

Obama being the reason oil prices are going down?

I think not.

On July ll, 2008, oil closed at $147.27 a barrel. On the following Monday, President Bush announced that he was lifting the executive branch ban on drilling for oil in the Outer Continental Shelf. The next day, oil prices dropped greater than $7 a barrel and have continued dropping.

Bottom Line: When Bush announced we were lifting the ban, OPEC saw that their "gravy train" may be ending, so to keep us happy, they started dropping the price of oil. They realized they had pushed us too far. OPEC thinks by dropping the price of oil, we'll be content, and not aggressively pursue other energy resources.

Only time will tell.

Posted by: J | August 17, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Man I hate politics. Obama has lied just like the rest of 'em. He's going to spy on your dumbasses and run us all into the ground just like the last guy, and the one before him, and before him and all the way back to the first shmuck that hit another guy over the head with a stick and declared himself leader. Most people have NO IDEA the about the legislation congress passes, and if they do, they aren't even intelligent enough to understand it - they just believe what their told to believe. Case in point: Obama and FISA. What kind of values and principles are those?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeh... Corporatist Pickens has the answer to US energy problem alright. How do you think that old scab became a billionaire. I suppose Obama has to suck up to him too until he gets elected. What kind of shmuck would have helped finance the destruction of a good man, Kerry, talkin about his military record while at the smae time supporting that Putz, Bush who spent his military career tootin coke and chasin ass.

Posted by: Paul Kopper | August 17, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

First of all T-Boone met with both canidates.

Do you all see T-Boones interest as *sacreficing* his oil greed for energy independence?

T-Boone has 8 shell corporations pressuring local govts. in this so called Wind Corridor To GIVE him private, fertile land by imposing eminent domain.
Give it to him, as in steal it from it's rightful owners who refuse to sell it.

This so called wind corridor also sits atop some of the largest natural Aquifers in Texas. By owning it T-boone also has the right to steal their water.

And his shell companies have EVERY interest in selling off that water.
His shell corporations also have interest in Nuclear Reactors..

T. Boone’s plan is linked to the plan of his Texas neighbor George Chapman who has announced plans to build two large nuclear reactors.
T-Boone NEVER utters the fact that Reactors require massive amounts of fresh water.

It is win win for T-Boone..
Once a robber baron, always a robber baron.

neither canidate is street smart enough to realize they are being played.

Posted by: DJ, Texas | August 17, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Obama doesn't have an energy plan? What election have you people been following? Obama will subsidize alternative domestic energy production wind/solar/geothermic by taking away the subsidies and tax breaks that have been given to the oil companies. McSames energy policy is to give a reward for a next gen battery and give MORE tax breaks for oil companies while not supporting any of the alternative energies.

Obama wants us to move away from oil because we will NEVER be able to produce enough domestically even if we drill everywhere. The McSame policy is exactly what Bush has done. throwing money to oil companies.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I just read in the New York Times that 15 Democratic leaders (governors and congressman) are complaining that Obama has to get more specific than being a candidate of "hope and change."

"I particularly hope he (Obama) strengthens his economic message - even Senator Obama can speak more clearly and SPECIFICALLY about the kitchen-table, bread-and-butter issues like high energy costs," said Gov. Strickland of Ohio. "It's fine to tell people about hope and change, but you have to have plenty of concrete, pragmatic ideas that bring hope and change TO LIFE."

I guess these Democratic leaders are having buyers remorse. I saw the polls today and their numbers "aresoclose."

Posted by: J | August 17, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Obama shows just how brave he is and just how willing he is to actually consider different points of view in this meeting.

I never saw Al Gore or John Kerry as candidates be so open to actually reaching across the aisle. We need more of this kind of open mindedness if we are going to move forward as a nation.

Posted by: Six | August 17, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

First of all, I think it's a smart move for Obama to keep Pickens politically neutral. Pickens has shown that he has the political clout to get his enemies smeared on right wing outlets like FoxNews and talk radio (Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck- have you ever noticed they always talk about the same subject, every day?). It's also been pretty obvious that Big Oil isn't afraid to manipulate gas prices to give the polls a little push. Ever noticed that whenever Bush's polling numbers go way down, gas prices come down real quick, and then his polling numbers go back up, so do gas prices.
During this election, everytime Obama had a really good week, prices came down. They've come down almost 40 cents a gallon the last couple of weeks, and McCain's pulled even in the polling. Do you really think it's coincidence?
As to Pickens energy plan- I honestly think he's sincere. Not because he wants to help America and Americans.
But because he sees the handwriting on the wall. The world's oil supplies are getting smaller, and the reserves that remain are going to be prohibitivally expensive to access.
It's like the whaling barons at the end of the 19th century that started investing in coal and petroleum. He knows he's in an industry that will be obsolete in 25 years or so.

Posted by: Mike in AZ | August 17, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

a reply to the following post by: abaney18 | August 17, 2008 3:36 PM

"Pickens should support Obama? WHY? What energy plan had Obama put forth to deserve anyone's confidence. The day Obama runs on anything other than a liberal, CNN talking point, I might consider not changing the station when he comes on. Is it his one term in congress that makes him so qualified? Or is it his lack of overseas diplomacy? Or could it be his complete lack of understanding of conflict, and how to deal with the enemy. Does everyone get a pony if this guy wins??? What the heck am I missing???"

You are missing plenty. Those with closed minds cannot see..... In fact you sound so closed minded I doubt you can see much light at all, never mind the strength there is in Obama and the intelligence. Just answering your question.

Posted by: Paul | August 17, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Pickens and Obama are pals now. Why does this not surprise me. We Americans are among the most arrogant, most ignorant, stupidest, most self-delusional, self-centered, apolitical, unsophisticated, hypocritical, self-destructive, narcissistic, gullible and substantively illiterate populations in the entire post-induustrialized world. We have willingly acquiesced in the elite trashing of our social contract. We have ignorantly stood by while corporate wealth continues to destroy ANY possibility of governmental oversight and regulation in the public interest. We have acquiesced in the deliberate undermining of our Constitution by these religious zealots who call themselves neoconservatoves. We have deluded ourselves that our "leaders" represent the populations that have elected them, when, in fact, these "leaders" are owned and controlled by corporate wealth. We have reverted to that old, shop-worn delusion that there is a monolithic enemy out there that our "leaders" will protect us from. We continue to be convinced that America's problems are caused by external factors, that we surely do not have any INTRINSIC faults or problems that are of our OWN creation. we delight in the fiction that there is a substantive difference between the agendas and programs of the 2 major parties. We have NEVER fully owned up to the fact that the Vietnam War was a horrifically stupid and morally reprehensible projection of American military power on a poor, weak Asian population who posed NO threat to us. We allowed ourselves once again to be railroaded into acquiescing in yet ANOTHER horrifically stupid and morally reprehensible projection of military power, THIS time in the Middle East. Obama, Clinton (both of them), Bush(both of them), Pelosi, Reagan, Carter, Johnson, Kennedy (all of them), Nixon, Ford, et al are serving the interests of the elites that own and operate the U.S. economy for profit. American citizens are footing the bills for all the pain and suffering felt here at home as well as inflicted in our name abroad, ever since the end of the Second World War! WHEN, if EVER, are the American people going to understand our own history?

Posted by: Concerned Citizen | August 17, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

hey Jimmie W. Beck, you really think using all Caps shows that you have something meaningful to say. You just stay in your ignorant little world because people like you can't see substance if it slaps you in the face.

Posted by: AM, San Francisco | August 17, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA HAS NO POLICY TO DEAL WITH AMERICAS ENERGY NEEDS. BY NOT DEFINING A POSTION IT LEAVES OBAMA OPEN TO SLIP, SLID FLIP FLOP WITH WORDS. OBAMAS WORDS LIKE, THAT IDEA IS DEVELOPING, I AM REDEFING MY EALIER POSITION, THERE IS A NEED FOR FEXIBLITY, MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE USED DIFFERENT WORDS, I'M WORDS ARE BEING DISTORDED....THE METHOD OBAMA IS USING IS USED IN COURT ROOMS BY ATTORNEYS...I DO HOPE THE VOTERS SEE THROUGH HIS FOR WHAT IT IS...NOT HONEST... CASE IN POINT... I WILL NEVER TURN FROM MY SPRITUAL LEADER REV WRIGHT NO MORE THAN I COULD FROM MY GRAND MOTHER..BUT OBAMA DID WHEN IT BECAME POLITICAL HOT FOR OBAMA..THAT ALONE SHOWS OBAMA WILL NOT DO WHAT HE SAYS.

Posted by: JIMMIE W BECK | August 17, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what "America will one day see", but I am certain that the Washington Post readers now see that dman is high. Carter is as much a visionary as Saddam was a humanitarian.

Posted by: abaney18 | August 17, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

If Picken is sincere, he should:
(1) Publicly Apologise for helping put a lunatic in the whitehouse in the first place. We did not have energy crisis before Bush was selected in 2000, the crisis increased after 2004. While Pickens rack in billions in profit and tax payers got poorer and poorer.
(2) Publicly endorse Obama and denounce GOP and corporate greed that has destroyed our economy and weakened our nation.
(3) Picken should commit all the net proceeds of this energy initiatives to the funding of our education for all, healthcare for all and saving social secuirty. Afterall he has already made his billions on the backs of ordinary Americans.

If Pickens accepts these terms, then and only then should Obama commit to provide loan guarantees like fanie-mae for mortgages and sallie-mae for education loans. A free hand out should never be considered at all.

Posted by: dressypink | August 17, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Heres a simple thought;
Go talk to all the people who voted for the Bush admin the last 2 elections - he won and now people complain yet he won the majority of votes.

Blame your own votes. do reasearch before voting.

Just a thought

Posted by: Rj California | August 17, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abaney18 | August 17, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

America will one day see Carter as a visionary who strived to make America great by freeing us from imported energy and see Reagan as the fool who sold America a pipe dream to increase the profits of the war machine and oil companies.

Posted by: dman | August 17, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

This Pickens is a very shrewed businessman who have no interest in the common good but his personal greed. He supported oil man Bush and got record profit from oil businesses during Bush 8 years regime, all at the expense of the general public. And now, he found out that GOP will not be winning in November, he is at it again currying favor with Obama for a hand-out. Corporate welfare should be banned. Pickens should use his own money or borrow money like every other investor and develop his alternative energy initiative.

The fleecing of the tax payers will not end as long as drug companies relies on tax payers for R&D, marketing and competition protections.

It is absurd to continue to allow oil companies to walk away with bag full of subsidies while they make a trillion dollars in profit in one president's tenur.

It is insane to give away half a trillion dollars to rich farmers in free money while food prices are rising. In all these cases, the ordinary citizens are left holding an empty bag and our childrens and next generation's future mortgaged without shame or remorse.

I will advise Obama to accept the Pickens' campaign contribution, committment not to swiftboat him and encourage him to use his own money for his pet project. Afterall we have a lesser faire market economy and not corporate welfare. Only a hypocrite will condemn welfare for the poor women and children but turn around and support socialism for the rich and big oil, drug, insurance, farmers, banks, prison and military industrial complex etc.

Posted by: dressypink | August 17, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

BOO HOO FOR BIG OIL-lET'S ALL SHED A TEAR FOR THEM
RECORD PROFITS-OBSCENE GAS PRICES
WHY NOT BLAME THE GUILTY PARTY?

Posted by: gonzo | August 17, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Obama's change will be worthless if he continue the corporate welfare that has bankrupted this nation during the last 8 years. Giving money to the rich and powerful did not generate net jobs during Bush regime. Bush gave out more free tax payers money more than any president in US history. He borrowed more money than any president in US history. These socialism policy torwards the rich was sold as a job creating scheme, but it did not pan out.

Rather out of greed, the receipients of this corporate welfare, raised their prices, shipped jobs overseas (outsourcing) for more profits and in some cases produced less in case of big oil and US farmers.

If Obama's change means stopping the above type of waste and greed, he should not be deceived by a greedy oil man like Boon Pickins. This man does not have the interest to US citizens at heart.

Posted by: dressypink | August 17, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barack, check your pocket and see if you still have your wallet. "Pick'em and Pluck'em" will get it every time.

Posted by: Slim Pickens | August 17, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

The only serious answer to our energy problems is solar thermal energy, using the new methods developed for storing the energy collected during the daytime hours for use at night.

Combined with all-electric cars and trucks and the improved batteries that are now being developed, this would drastically reduce our need for importing oil.

I'm surprised that someone like T. Boone Pickens isn't supporting solar thermal instead of his windmill and natural gas scheme. I don't really want to see endless rows of windmills on the landscape and switching to natural gas to run our vehicles would require completely retooling not only our cars but our distribution system.

You can plug in an electric car at your home. The infrastructure is already there.

This makes me suspect that Mr. Pickens is either uninformed or is not really serious about his energy plans. It reminds me of Bush's announcement about hydrogen powered cars a few years back. Seen any on the highway yet?

Visit www.ausra.com and www.tesla.com for more info on solar thermal and the latest in electric car technology.

Posted by: Thomas Jackson | August 17, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Obama should proceed with caution when meeting with ANY Rep. supporter. Pickens talks a good talk with a good partial solution to energy difficulties. He may be hedging his bet like a smart bettor does.

Posted by: ernieson | August 17, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

The American consumer-voter has blame here also, should we throw them out to?
The liberials have been wrong about almost everything, and no "apology" from them.
Blaming big oil is just another polpulist tactic to get votes.

Posted by: quinn | August 17, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

If T. Boone Pickens is serious about the future of the U.S. he should endorse Obama. Otherwise, if he continues his support of the GOP and McCain, you know he is full of it and has some other agenda, because they have the military-industrial agenda of Big Oil, Nuclear and Coal in mind.

Posted by: Art Dodger | August 17, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

What level of corporate social welfare is Pickins asking for? Certainly he does not want to use all is own money for his wind energy initiative. I suspect this was a financial risk assessment discussion.

Posted by: Lou R | August 17, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Republicans and Big Oil have to answer for leading America down the wrong energy path this past 30 years.

If the Republicans and Big Oil really put America first, before profits, then they would have partnered with Jimmy Carter in the late 70s and we would be in a much stronger position.

In short, the Republicans and Big Oil screwed the country over- and now they don't even want to admit they were wrong and say they are sorry.

Jerks. Throw the lot of them out.

Posted by: JR, Boston | August 17, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse