Obama on Gustav and Palin

By Shailagh Murray
DUBLIN, Ohio -- Barack Obama appeared before reporters tonight to urge Gulf Coast residents to flee the Hurricane Gustav zone. But his serious tone gave way to a chuckle when he was asked about John McCain's assertion that his new running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, has more executive experience than either Democratic candidate.

"I think you guys can take a look at Gov. Palin's record and Joe Biden's record and make your own judgments in terms of who you think has what it takes to be an outstanding vice president," Obama said, referring to his running mate, a six-term U.S. senator. "I feel confident about my choice. I'll let John McCain talk about his."

Another reporters asked about McCain's judgment, given Palin's lack of foreign policy experience, but Obama didn't bite.

"I think that Gov. Palin is a compelling person," he responded, repeating yesterday's line. "She's got a great story. She seems to have a wonderful engaging personality and the fact that she got elected governor of Alaska shows she's got real political skills." The problem is her policy positions, he added.

By Web Politics Editor  |  August 31, 2008; 2:10 AM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Unity on Display at Tubbs Jones Memorial
Next: Bush, Cheney Won't Go to St. Paul

Comments

Wake up were is all the money coming from for Obama grandiose ideas....YOU....Taxes.
People need to take responsibility for themeselves instead of crying to gov't for solutions of there poor judegement.
Obama is not experienced enough to be Pres. He's a great speaker as Hillary said herself all he has is a Speech. If Sarah was a man with the same exp no one would be questioning her. She has guts smart and is willing to stand up to her own party on ethics, something Obama hasn't done. His affilations are way more questionable then her exp. She's actually run something. Obama says change and picks a guy who is old Washington the old boys club and the 3 most liberal guy in the Senate. Please open your eyes there plans will backrupt america We can't go on with great speaches rock concert and empty promises
McCain has my vote.

Posted by: Trish | September 1, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

A few corrections:

Sarah Palin visited Kuwait, NOT Iraq

Her current approval rating in Alaska has fallen from the much-touted 80% to 65%, and, according to the Anchorage Daily News, continues to plummet.

As Governor, she has presided over a state that has a slightly larger population than Albuquerque NM!

The daily paper in Fairbanks has called McCain's choice of Palin "reckless."

The Republican Senate President in Alaska's legislature has stated, "She is not prepared to be governor. How can she be prepared to be vice president or president?

Palin's own mother-in-law has acknowledged that Sarah is a "much better speaker than McCain," but expressed her doubts that her daughter-in-law is ready to be VP. And, who knows a woman better than her mother-in-law!

Posted by: desertwillow | September 1, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

The VPs do NOT matter. PALIN has More experience than Obama, PERIOD...

She's a Frickin Governor! A Governor is like a President of a State!

It should be Biden/Obama not Obama/Biden.

Palin Visiting Injured U.S. forces in Germany, LOOK No Big Time Media!

Obama is running for president and Palin for mere VP, yet Palin is far better suited. If it was Palin vs. Obama, Palin would Win. McChange will crush Obama...

Posted by: Not a Pawn to ObamaCON! | September 1, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Gov. Sarah Palin firmly put her foot in her mouth during her debut speech. She violated the first premise of operational security for military families. She announced to a world-wide audience her son’s specific unit, his MOS (military occupational specialty) and the specific dates of the unit’s deployment. This just is not done, ever. If I were the commander of that unit I would be screaming to the Pentagon to change the deployment and I would transfer that boy as far away from my unit as I could.

BTW, I am a military father and I did command an Air Force squadron during the Vietnam War.

Sarah Palin does not understand national security and she does not understand the needs of our great military. Sarah Palin is dangerously naive.

_______________________________________

this is very true...these actions are considered an OPSEC(Operational Security) violation, and could possibly endanger the troops that he is traveling with...

Posted by: Active duty member | September 1, 2008 5:02 AM | Report abuse

_______________________________________

Posted by: Active duty member | September 1, 2008 4:59 AM | Report abuse

palin has publicly admitted that she does not even know what a vice president does...are you serious?

Posted by: bitter independent | September 1, 2008 4:56 AM | Report abuse

seem to remember another "all american" pick that had "executive experience" and was a governor, but lousy judgement....his name was george w. bush...

Posted by: bitter independent | September 1, 2008 4:54 AM | Report abuse

i seem to remember another "all american" pick that had "executive experience" and was a governor, but lousy judgement....his name was george w. buch...

Posted by: bitter independent | September 1, 2008 4:54 AM | Report abuse

We are not voting for a persons color or gender........we are voting for their ideas.....

Who has better ideas: Republicans or Democrats

Posted by: Oregon4Obama | September 1, 2008 4:18 AM | Report abuse

CNBC did an interview with Governor Palin tonight and she was very impressive with her knowledge of many issues facing America. I was very impressed.

Posted by: GeraldD | September 1, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

"We are talking about the VP position and forgetting the top position, forget the VP and let's talk about the P , can you tell me what's the Dems Candidate for president and Commander In Chief experience in Foreign policy ?? what's his executive experience ? what experience he has to successfully perform the roll of a leader ? ....the terrifying answers for all the above questions is ....NON , you can't lead your people and carry out changes with good will alone,you need the experience in addition to your spirit as a leader and your good will to make the changes, John McCain has it all, with Palin the Executive, Palin the young Palin the mother and Palin the Woman they can achieve what America wants mostly now ....Change for the better, "

Posted by: Fahmi Saied | August 31, 2008 4:02 AM

________
Totally agree. Also, they keep talking about change, I don't know how they would change it without bankcrupt USA! Biden looks more like Cheney to me. THAT'S NOT CHANGE, THAT MORE OF THE SAME!

Posted by: Lup | August 31, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Was that Alaska Business Monthly from a few years ago? She has been to Iraq visiting troops since then.

Posted by: JakeD | August 31, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Obama/Biden, Obamacans, Susan Eisenhower and 80,000 supporters energized and inspired us watching them on TV. Yes we Can!

Democrats and Obamacans courting all Republican and Independent voters -

The Chantay's - Pipeline (Lawrence Welk Show)

Dean Martin & John Wayne

Elvis Presley - Love Me Tender

Matthew 7:7

Obamacan's - “The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry.” William F. Buckley, Jr. quote

Vote Obama/Biden '08

Posted by: Eagle Ch’áak’ | August 31, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Palin is the only one who has executive experience in this race.. a good pick McCain.. comes fall you are the winner..

Obama has 0 executive experience along with Nation of islam's Farrakhan, Terrorist Ayers.. radical pastor wright and convicted criminal rezko.. jeez Dems will be a risky choice in this dangerous world of Fundamentalist Ismalic terrorist who are killing innocent common people in Asia, Europe and other parts of the world. Thank god we are safe in this part.. thats what makes America the greatest country in the world because it takes care of the citizens.. fighting the terrorists and keeeing them away from our homes

Posted by: Mitchell | August 31, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I know little about Palin.
Palin knows little about Iraq.

Alaska Business Monthly: We've lost a lot of Alaska's military members to the war in Iraq. How do you feel about sending more troops into battle, as President Bush is suggesting?

Palin: I've been so focused on state government, I haven't really focused much on the war in Iraq. I heard on the news about the new deployments, and while I support our president, Condoleezza Rice and the administration, I want to know that we have an exit plan in place; I want assurances that we are doing all we can to keep our troops safe. Every life lost is such a tragedy. I am very, very proud of the troops we have in Alaska, those fighting overseas for our freedoms, and the families here who are making so many sacrifices.

She was beauty queen, and she won Miss Congeniality, she recently became govenor, and she likes to eat moose.

She praised Obama's energy plan on her website and then scrubbed it.

Ben Smith's Blog: Palin praises...Obama? - Politico.com Alaska Governor Sarah Palin -- occasionally mentioned as a McCain vice presidential prospect -- has put out a press release praising Obama's energy plan. ...
www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0808/Palin_praisesObama.html

The page also shows her photo her next to Ted Stevens. Like 99.9% of American she opposed Steven's bridge to no wher

Posted by: MrUniteUs | August 31, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

It is "unethical" to drill in ANWR? You are aware that the majority of Alaskans want to drill, right?

Posted by: JakeD | August 31, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Article questions McCain and Palins judgement.

www.commonplacebook.com/current_events/sarah_palin_and.shtm

Posted by: Mr. Unite Us | August 31, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

When you look at the accomplishments of all the candidates, look at how they got there. Ever heard of doing things right vs doing the right thing? That is a pure ethical question. Palin fought corruption in her state, but is no more free of corruption and lack of ethics than those she fought. Her approach to the environment and the ANWR unethical because it goes against every grain of protecting the environment. Her approach is not looking out for the future of society but lining pockets for special interests in Oil Companies and hunters within the state of Alaska.

By the way, I hope she doesn't insult our natural world and intelligence by draping that horrible grizzly bear skin in the White House that is currently in her office, should we be so unfortunate to see her in the chair of the VP.

Posted by: weeza | August 31, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Loose Lips! You know, I thought that might be the case; but, since I wasn't a hunnert percent on the facts surrounding the deployment / location / unit position, I turned my blind eye to it. Thank you for confirming what I thought I remembered I knew to be true. Holy Canoli, though; if this woman's willingness to sacrifice her own son's safety says anything, it eloquently reveals she'd not blink twice when it came to handing over delicate information to the enemy.

When I first heard her blabbing about her son's mission, I was aghastified; now, I'm truly horrified by what she's egregiously done to her own son. You're so right about *someone* changing his plans ipso-quicko. The poor kid's gone from being a standing soldier to a dead duck. Not good, not gooder, not goodness at all, the way Ol' Eagle Eye sees it. Thanks for the confirmation and for serving for US, too. My dad did three tours of WWII duty and earned the DFC so the sacrifices you made speak keenly to me. ^i-

Posted by: Ol' Eagle Eye | August 31, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Loose Lips Sink Ships | August 31, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Palin is a big blow to Dems.. lets accept the fact that Hillary supporters like us have this as another reason to vote McCain.

Seriously, lets take objective look at what we have here.. Obama with questionable character, radical ties with racist pastor wright, convicted criminal rezko, radical farakhan.. terrorist Ayers to be noted the most.. in no 1 position.
at No.2 position, the world's biggest liar Biden :-) who does not even believe that his No 1 guy is ready for the job.

Supporters, who are we talking about.. biggest diaster Carter :-) who cares about his opinion in 2008?
Looser Kerry :- a looser and a liar himself.
Then a bunch of brainless bloggers who gets paid to throw trash on internet.

Posted by: Mitchell | August 31, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is an extreme right wing NEO NAZI who openly supported Buchannan who is a HOLOCAUST DENIER and praised Hitler "as a man of great courage". Palin never expressed her views about ISRAEL.
In addition, she is an evangelical idiot who still believes the world is flat and that evolution is wrong.

Jewish associations are outraged
link:http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0808/Palin_on_Israel.html?showall

Posted by: JACK | August 31, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

We wouldn't have known it from the MSM last Friday. Maybe I was the only one who saw Barack Obama give one of the most inspiring political speeches I have ever heard of or read about. I thought I might vote for that man. But, come to think of it, I DID hear something or other about the dis-unity of the DEMS, a lot about something called PUMA and the Hillary chasm. But by Friday, the only thing I heard about was how anti-science, no abortions-no-exceptions, foreign-policy expert (Alaska is next to Russia)and creationist Sara Palin was surely going to attract every female vote in the USA. As a woman, I am sure glad THAT is now settled. But just to be sure that I am now voting the right way, I 'll check with my husband first.

Posted by: fangorina | August 31, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fangorina | August 31, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

CNN VIDEO OF MCCAIN CHECKING PALIN'S A$$

MCCAIN'S POLITICO INTERVIEW: "PALIN IS MY SOULMATE"

Posted by: JACK | August 31, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The blantant sexism and double standards of liberals are on full display now. It is discusting to watch my old party in action.

I am not a Palin fan, she is too conservative for me. I will be voting for McCain though. Obama's lies and "sweetie" attitude has destroyed my old party. I have no use for these new liberals and their discustingly sexist attitudes.

Sexism, Lies and Hillary Hate.. Obama's new democrats.

Posted by: HillaryRules | August 31, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

CNN VIDEO OF MCCAIN CHECKING PALIN'S A$$

MCCAIN'S POLITICO INTERVIEW: "PALIN IS MY SOULMATE"

Posted by: JACK | August 31, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Keep it up, Obamaniacs. At least she's "inexperienced" but not running at the top of the ticket. How many "male" Governors would you dismiss as well. Enough Hillary supporters are going to take note of this double standard.

Posted by: JakeD | August 31, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and I know she has "Executive experience" (Republican talking point anyone? That just came up out of nowhere on Friday)

Does the Executive branch of 670,000 people, the same number of people who VOTED for Obama in Illinois, count as the type we need for this job?

Would you elect Jesse Ventura? We have 3 million people here in MN, he served in city government. Why not?

Posted by: self | August 31, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Quick- some please tell Sarah Palin what her job would entail if she becomes our next Vice President, er, "VP". The future of the world may depend on it.

Posted by: self | August 31, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

This is how John McCain shows his disdain for inexperience; by naming an unknown Gov. Palin for his Vice Pres? I understand he has only met her once. Why would he be so careless with the future of our great nation? As many years as John McCain has been in Washington, he should have made some lasting friends that share his interests for the country. Perhaps he hasn’t met many who share his views. If it were allowed, Pres. G.W. Bush would have made his best running mate. It is obvious that he made his choice based on his desire to persuade the women voters that hoped with all their heart for Hillary to win the nomination. If Barack had done that, he would have been persecuted by the media for such a reckless decision. But of course, those stubborn Republicans just love anything that their leaders do, regardless of the implications. Well, we Dems are not dumb, and we will not be belittled by these decisions. We cannot lose this November. Ask everyone to pay attention to what is going on... and then encourage them to vote. I am convinced that most people have hearts and need great change. If they listen, they will be as excited and compelled as I am to vote Democratic this coming election. Also, I saw both candidates’ brief biographies on CNN today, and it was clear that while they could barely fit Barack’s impressive resume into the time frame of the show, they wasted a lot of time with McCain talking about his excessive womanizing and partying during his glorious stint at the Naval Academy, where he finished almost last in his class. Not too impressive. People complain that they “Still don’t know enough about Obama”, well folks, he wrote a biography detailing his life and leadership years ago. No one is gonna read that to you. Go out and get it. His life is not a secret; in fact, it’s an open book. Biden is going to tear Palin up in the upcoming VP debate. I can’t wait.

Posted by: C. Ossman | August 31, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: C. Ossman | August 31, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I am tired of Obama/Biden/Democrats pointing out Gov. Palin’s lack of foreign affairs experience. This is what President Obama and Vice President Biden would do: The phone rings at the White House at 3 am. Russia reinvaded Georgia! After a bit of confusion, President Obama is located sleeping on the couch after an argument with Michelle over his less than inspirational speech to the Girls Scouts of America, where he did not mention their daughters and their role in the leadership of the Chicago branch of the Girls Scouts. After locating Georgia on the map, President Obama calls an emergency meeting of the National Security Council, all 45 officials must report to him immediately (NSC was reorganized by the Obama/Biden team to include all 300 foreign policy advisers that worked for him during campaign). At 4:30 am 35 officials have been brought to the White House. In the meantime, VP Biden was being flown back to the White House from his home in Delaware. In the meantime, President Obama has made frantic calls to leaders of France, Germany, and Italy. He reminded them that he made a speech in Berlin, Germany, where he laid out foundations of his foreign policy where the world is one and the responsibility for the world’s affairs lay with all nations in the world. Leaders of France, Germany, and Italy agreed to hold an emergency EU meeting of foreign ministers next day. At 5 am. President Obama and VP Biden and 35 NSC officials with their staffers convened an emergency meeting on national security. President Obama informed the group about his talks with Europeans and their total agreement to hold EU consultations next day. After a two hour discussion, the NSC decides to set an emergency phone bank to consult all leaders in the world in order to poll them on the Georgia crisis. The FedExField (home stadium of the Washington Redskins) was rented to house the phone bank, NSC emergency operations, staffers, etc. NSC also decided that the President Obama will make a speech to national audience (televised by every available outlet in the nation) and a live audience bussed to the stadium at 7 pm. By 4 pm. it was clear that only 123 world leaders were polled (the result was: 89 leaders referred the matter to the full session of the UN, 20 leaders had no opinion, with 14 leaders split among the following actions: protest note send to Russian President, send a truck convoy with humanitarian supplies to Georgia, give an interview on the national network in India to condemn the invasion). At 7 pm the show started at the FedExField. Barbara Streisand opened with rendition of the Beatles song “Strawberry Fields Forever,” followed by poetry reading by Maya Angelou. Exactly at 7:30 pm. President Obama and VP Biden were introduced by George Clooney and Jennifer Aniston. President Obama started his speech with thanking Hillary Clinton for the 3:45 am. phone call followed by President Clinton at 4 am. President Clinton accidently was in Kazakhstan and offered his mediating skills while on his way to Paris. President Obama informed the nation that all necessary steps were taken in order to stop this illegal invasion of Georgia and that all diplomatic channels were open. The USA undertook the following steps: called for an emergency meeting of the UN General Council, VP Biden will leave after this speech to travel to the region for emergency consultations with leaders there, the US Army was notified about the situation, the intelligence community was warned against unauthorized involvement in the conflict. Finally, President Obama read a message he sent to President Medvedev of Russia. The speech was followed by U2 concert. Free hats, tea shirts, and coffee mugs with Obama/Biden names were handed out.

Posted by: Wiel | August 31, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I am loving this! You Americans are entertaining us immensely! This is better than any soap....haha!

And we know here in Australia that Americans are stupid enough that inspite of what your government has done to you, you will again vote for the same party. I sincerely feel sorry for the good man Obama.

If he was running in any other country, his victory would have been in his pocket by now but because its america he really has no chance because even he has to accept that his country is full of such idiots ...they just believe what the media says! Ha ha...this is getting better and better.

The beginning of the end for the U.S of A!!!

Posted by: Swati In Australia | August 31, 2008 7:19 AM

--------------------------
A little jealous are you? Do you think anyone else really cares about Australia's power. You being so engaged in US politics shows the power that America wields. Australia can only dream and wish that it could be as great as the USA. Now go back to your Outback and finish eating your roo meat.

Posted by: hayden1 | August 31, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Well, I agree with the others. Sarah Palin is well and truly an internet hit, just check out this blog that features some photos from Sarah someone dug up from the 80's and 90's!

Posted by: ryanorulz | August 31, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Those of you who are familiar with my previous postings on Hillary will remember that I was no great fan of her. Nevertheless, I can distinquish between a handsome swan from a waddling duck when I see one. If I should refer Hillary as that handsome swan, Palin does not even qualify as a waddling duck. She is still in her egg.

Posted by: thisworld | August 31, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

The Republican's tried to derail Obama early in his Senate campaign by propping up Alan Keyes, another black candidate. One might think Sen. McCain was above this kind of sleazy tokenism, but he seems desperate and has a history of making rash decisions. Too bad for Palin, because many think she might have made a good contribution to Republican diversity. It may have been an offer too good to refuse, but hailing from Alaska, she should have seen McCain as a Polar Bear and remembered they've been known to devour their young.

Posted by: Phil | August 31, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Those who think that Obama got this far because he is a black man, will never get it until the end. They are lost in the midst of this history making. Obama is a one in a hundred million type of visionary statesmen who happened to be black in America. It is just like other visonaries such as Abraham Lincoln and JFK, who just happened to be white men. They didnt become what they are simply because they were white men. We have plenty of stupid white men around to prove that. Likewise, Obama isn't just any black man. He is a black man with brain, visions, guts and that all important god given charisma.

On the contrary, it seems that the main reason why Palin was picked was because she is a white woman. What a difference, which is lost on so many unthinking people!

Posted by: thisworld | August 31, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Hillary was wonderful at the convention, and needs to remain a very VISIBLE campaigner for Obama from now on, so voters can continue to SEE the difference between her and Palin. Biden, as smart and articulate as he is, and as supportive of pro-women policies as he has been, could easily come across with a sort of alpha-male dismissiveness that is off-putting to women, liberal or conservative.

Obama needs to help us move beyond identity politics and tokenism. Martin Luther King said he wanted his children to be judged "not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." In other words, not by identity politics, but by who they really are. That can apply to gender, too.

Obama also needs to point out that he wants his VP to be a full partner in dealing with the issues facing the country and the world--that's something McCain clearly can't claim. He wants an "office wife" in the old sense--not an equal or a partner. And that's the tragic irony, to women, in his VP selection.

Posted by: jane.marcellus | August 31, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

As Independents, still deciding,- we have researched Palin, and have found NOTHING at all to support her ever being able to be President,- "period"!! - So Why in the world did McCain pick her as V.P. ?! - Something Is being hatched or schemed on the American People behind the scenes! If McCain dies, then this Palin 'set-up' will be in place of Control by these Economic Terrorists to continue stealing and destroying Our Nation! - "God forbid"! - BEWARE Voters of all persuasions to this sneaky maneuver by $big Money $Special Interests / Global Banking Criminals!! - "Wake-Up" Patriot Citizens!!

Posted by: jward52 | August 31, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fishskicanoe | August 31, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Swati - laugh it up. Unlike an Australian election, this one will have repercussions outside of our country. If McCain wins it will hurt more than just the US. When you all finally kicked out Bush's lapdog Howard, it didn't even register in the western hemisphere.

Let's hope for the good of the entire world that Obama wins. WWIII looms, and McCain is salivating.

Posted by: Billy | August 31, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

The beginning of the end for the U.S of A!!!

Posted by: Swati In Australia | August 31, 2008 7:19 AM | Report abuse

The best thing that could happen to Govenor Palin is for McCain to lose. She could go back to being Governor and have a great future. If McCain wins, she'll be
used for menial, ceremonial duties which
would be an insult to her abilities.
McCain does not respect women, he uses them for his own egotistical purposes.
Right now, she has stars in her eyes. Later, she'll have tears in her eyes. I hope she doesn't resign as Governor until after the election, if possible. Don't trade your dreams for a pack of lies.

Posted by: ad | August 31, 2008 6:49 AM | Report abuse

McCain knew he would be the republican parties choice, over three months ago.
McCain didn't choose a nominee untill the Democratic convention was nearly over and Jo Biden had been chosen by Barack.

So it seems to me that McCain disn't make a choice based on what is right for America at this time. It seems that McCain made a political choice based on Barack Obama's choices.

HUMMM.

Classic Republican Party decision making.
Run and hide from all issues confronting Americans and ACT as if you can pretend America has no problems except the ones Democrats make!

Thanks for the early Christmas present McCain.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 6:31 AM | Report abuse

The only reason the evangelicals support Palin is because she does not have the intelligence to see through their ridiculous beliefs. She supports teaching intelligent design (creationism) along side the scientific theory of evolution in our schools. We will become the laughing stock of the world. Wake up, America!

Posted by: drobbins | August 31, 2008 6:12 AM | Report abuse

Palin is about Oil and Drilling and giving Bush after 2008 access to doing what his father wished to do in 1989
Palin is another dangerous opportunist , who will say anything do anything and please this troublesome group- who have done so much damage to the Global community since 2000 - Americans have a responsibility to the next generation if they are so blazy re today and the immediate Future - to stop now This Bush and Friends Show which will continue if
MC cain /Palin get elected or somehow can grab power-

Posted by: david thompson | August 31, 2008 5:22 AM | Report abuse

The best thing Senator Obama can do for his campaign right NOW is pledge to forgive Senator Clinton's debt. Ol' Eagle Eye here thinks the selection of Sarah Smile speaks of pandering that will backfire for generations of women if our little sweetie gets anywhere near right-to-choose legislation (and, same-sex marriages? I shudder to even ponder what shall happen to the inroads made on that equality score). What a senile, cynical, opportunistic, and blatantly GOP thing to do; it actually debases women more than even I thought could ever be true. Here's looking through you . . .

Posted by: Ol' Eagle Eye | August 31, 2008 5:01 AM | Report abuse

McCain and Palin go do your photo op on a gulf off shore oil rig tomorrow....do that honey
show how safe drill drill drill is this week.

Posted by: mark | August 31, 2008 4:35 AM | Report abuse

As a lifelong Republican soccer mom living in an affluent community, I was impressed with Senator Obama’s acceptance speech last evening. Having my morning latte with a few of my Republican friends, I almost spit my coffee when I heard the news. Is McCain really putting the best interests of our nation first? To me, he is pandering to women, trying to obtain their vote. It seems he wants another ‘trophy’ to parade around with. What is wrong with this man?

Posted by: Rebecca in Florida | August 31, 2008 4:18 AM | Report abuse

Obama honored the 45th anniversary of I HAVE A DREAM

McCain dreads I HAVE A NIGHTMARE

Posted by: mark | August 31, 2008 4:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm in Louisiana about ready to evacuate farther north, and NO ONE HERE needs or wants McCain and Palin doing a cheesy PHOTO OP. Go drink your $500.00 a shot scotch in St Paul at your Grand Old Party.

Posted by: mark | August 31, 2008 4:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fahmi Saied | August 31, 2008 4:02 AM | Report abuse

Its really stating to look like Sarah Palin might be covering for her daughter's pregnacy. A post 4 months ago is out there about it. Plus when you think about it what woman gets on a plane for 8 hours after her water broke? with a stop in seattle??.. No thats a mother rushing home to her kid... this is getting crazy.. I dont care but you evangelical crazies make people do this to themselves

Posted by: WOW | August 31, 2008 3:29 AM | Report abuse

THE Admiral SON.

In Oct. 26, 1967, the admiral's son while flying his 23rd mission over North Vietnam, once again fell from the sky, this time landing in the hands of a brutal enemy. He was beaten and bayoneted. His shoulder was smashed and his right calf was nearly perpendicular to his knee.
The severely wounded McCain was finally thrown on the back of a truck and hauled to the infamous Hanoi Hilton prison camp. Immediately, his captors began to interrogate him using sadistic methods they had perfected on hundreds of captured U.S. servicemen before him.

His interrogators demanded military information. When he refused, his guards kicked and pounded him mercilessly.
McCain admits that three to four days after he was captured, he promised the Vietnamese, "I'll give you military information if you will take me to the hospital."
McCain also admits that the Vietnamese rushed him to a hospital, but denies he was given "special medical treatment" because of his promise.
He claims he was given medical care normally unavailable to captured Americans only because the Vietnamese learned he was the son of Admiral John S. McCain, Jr., the soon-to-be commander of all U.S. forces in the Pacific including those fighting in Vietnam.

The Vietnamese figured that because POW McCain's father was of such high military rank that he was of royalty or the governing circle in the United States. Thereafter the communist bragged that they had captured "the crown prince"and treated him as a "special prisoner."

Less than two weeks after McCain was taken to a hospital, Hanoi's press began quoting him giving specific military information, including the name of the aircraft carrier on which he was based, numbers of U.S. pilots that had been lost, the number of aircraft in his flight, information about location of rescue ships and the order of which his attack was supposed to take place.
There is also evidence that McCain received "special" medical treatment from a Soviet physician.

After he was out of the hospital, McCain continued cooperating with the North Vietnamese for a period of three years. He made radio broadcasts for the communists and met with foreign delegations, including the Cubans. He was interviewed by at least two North Vietnamese generals one of whom was Vietnam's national hero, General Vo Nguyen Giap.

On June 4, 1969, a U.S. wire service story headlined "PW Songbird Is Pilot Son of Admiral," reported one of McCain's radio broadcasts: "Hanoi has aired a broadcast in which the pilot son of the United States commander in the Pacific, Adm. John McCain, purportedly admits to having bombed civilian targets in North Vietnam and praises medical treatment he has received since being taken prisoner.
McCain says he violated the Code of Conduct only when the North Vietnamese brutally tortured him. He further claims that he was so distraught afterwards that he tried to commit suicide. He has never explained why his "aid to the enemy" continued for more than three years.

Even though there are no reports in the public record from other POWs who witnessed McCain's claims of torture and heroics or his attempted suicide, the American media has accepted his version of events word for word, no questions asked.

Yet, the same press that transformed the admiral's son into an "incredible war hero--an inspiration to all Americans," vilified the two grunts.
Comparing the incidents surrounding the fates of three POWs,' who collaborated with the enemy, makes one question why two faced possible execution for treason, while the third won acclaim as a hero fit to be President of the United States.
Once more, Lady Luck had smiled on John McCain . . . or was it the admiral?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 2:34 AM | Report abuse