Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Obama to Donors: Stay Cool

By Shailagh Murray
SAN FRANCISCO--Sen. Barack Obama raised $7.8 million at a fundraiser here Sunday night, his largest-ever haul at a single event. He repaid the 1,300-plus donors with fighting words about the campaign he intends to wage against his Republican rival, Sen. John McCain.

The Democratic candidate addressed three separate groups and posed for hundreds of photos at the event, held at the ritzy Fairmont Hotel.

"They've got a whole machinery that they're cranking out. They've got a book about me, that just kind of sprung full bore out of this guy's head," Obama told the crowd at the main reception, priced at $2,300 a ticket. It was his first public reference to the widely discredited Jerome Corsi bestseller, "The Obama Nation."

The Republicans are using an old playbook, Obama said. But this year, he continued, "Not only do you have a candidate who doesn't take any guff. Not only do you have a candidate who will hit back swiftly and forcefully and truthfully. But you've also got American people who are rising up all over the country and saying, enough is enough."

He told a small reception hosted by supporters of South Asian heritage, "It's going to be difficult. Change is always tough. And electing me is change. It means that people are going to hesitate a little bit. Ba-rack O-bama. They're still getting past that name. But it's a testament to the American spirit that I'm even standing before you as the Democratic nominee."

About 350 people paid $28,500 for a VIP dinner, and were urged to stay cool for the next 79 days. "Democrats, because we've burned in the last few elections, get nervous and skittish right around this time," Obama said. "They say, 'oh no, here the Republicans come - they're so mean and they're going to be doing all these things. Obama is a funny name and who knows what they're going to do.' "  The audience laughed nervously.

 "So keep your stress to a minimum," he instructed them.

By Washington Post Editor  |  August 18, 2008; 6:38 AM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ready to Rumble, Obama Hits the Trail
Next: Lindsey Graham, Olive Garden Fan

Comments

I love Republicans, because they can never correctly refute your arguments.

:D

Posted by: wapo1 | August 19, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Ninak, calm down with the capital letters.

Anyway, Don, nice job making a case for your candidate. Basically you said: Obama delivers great speeches, but that doesn't mean he does things.

Ok....first, this isn't true, and second, why, what a brilliant, reasoned argument for me to vote for McSame! I see every single one of your points about McSame as irrefutable!

You're just like Ann Coulter, screaming at Liberals, and then not offering any solutions at all.

Meanwhile, Joe is hiding somewhere, I take it.

Posted by: wapo1 | August 19, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

OK, Don, so you want your beer vetoed? you asked for it...

Also, the argument I was refuting was that Obama loses debates/is an inferior speaker to McCain, not whether speeches make a great president. Idjit.

Posted by: wapo1 | August 19, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Get the the f**in issues already. Who is better off than they were 8 years ago? What does the US have in its arsenal except HOT AIR when it comes to important international events, like Russia invading Georgia? Do we really need a president who is Rambo lite, thinking military might is the answer to all situation.
Obama has to stick it hard to McCain on the issues and remind voters that Mr media made Celebrity from 2000 has lost his maverick crown and is now a sychophant of W. If McCain gets in its will be the same crowd that ran the Bush administration - really McCain should just choose Cheney as the resident VP who runs the place. Its past time for the Democrats to get mad, now its time to get even.

Posted by: nclwtk
-----------------
nclwtk, I am in full agreement with you. I might add that IF we want a clown we can go to the circus and select and elect a professional one. McCain tries to put humor into everything, even the most serious of subjects, the only thing is, he is not funny; he is about the only one that laughs at what HE THINKS is funny!

Of interest too, I think the world ought to take McCain to task. He has been boasting about how "I KNOW HOW TO WIN WARS" and "I KNOW HOW TO FIND BIN LADIN AND HOW TO GET HIM, AND WHEN I AM PRESIDENT I AM GOING TO GT BIN LADIN". Gee, JUST WHEN, WHERE, HOW, DID HE OBTAIN ALL THIS EXTRAORDINARY KNOWLEDGE?? McCain is proclaimiing to the entire world that ONLY HE, JOHN McCAIN, THINKS HE IS A GENIOUS AND KNOWS HOW TO WIN WARS AND HOW TO FINE BIN LADIN! Funny thing about his knowing how to win wars, the ONLY war he was in, he managed to get himself shot down!! And wasn't smart enough to evade the enemy, in fact he deliberately made himself an enemy target by circling back to the target he had just bombed. He was flying low and slow, WHY did he do that??
Back to McCain's, IF HE KNOWS HOW TO WIN WARS, WHY ARE WE STILL IN IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN?? WHY DIDN'T HE SHARE, AND WHY HASN'T HE SHARED HIS "GREAT KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERTISE WITH THE BRASS THAT WAS AND IS IN AFGHANISTAN AND IRAQ?? WHY HAS HE "WITHHELD" HIS "CRTICAL KNOWLEDGE ON HOW TO WIN WARS AND HOW TO FIND BIN LADIN AND HOW TO GET HIM??? BY NOT SHARING HIS SELF-PROCLAIMED EXPERTISE AND KNOWLEDGE, HE HAS LITERALLY COMMITTED GENOCIDE OF THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE IN THESE TWO COUNTRIES; HE HAS COMMITTED GENOCIDE OF OUR SERVICEMEN AND SERVICEWOMEN WHO WERE KILLED, HE HAS COMMITTED GENOCIDE OF OUR ALLIES SERVICEMEN AND SERVICEWOMEN WHO HAVE DIED IN THESE TWO WARS! JOHN McCAIN IS SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE GENOCIDE COMMITTED IN THESE TWO COUNTRIES BECAUSE HE FAILED TO SHARE HIS SELF-PROCLAIMED EXCEPTIONAL KNOWLEDGE!! IS THIS ALSO TREASON?? IS THIS ALSO AIDING AND ABETTING THE ENEMY?? I BELIEVE IT WAY PAST TIME TO ARREST JOHN McCAIN AND CHARGE HIM WITH GENOCIDE, TREASON, AND AIDING AND ABETTING THE TERRORISTS AND THE INSURGENTS! HE ALSO NEEDS TO BE CHARGED WITH GROSS MISUSE OF OUR TAXPAYERS MONEY---TRILLIONS AND TRILLIONS AND DOLLARS! JOH McCAIN HAS ALSO USED AND ABUSED OUR MILITARY AND IS SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE INJURIES OUR MILITARY PEOPLE HAVE INCURRED---LOST LIMBS, BRAIN INJURIES, POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER, COUNTLESS SUICIDES DUE TO MULTIPLE ROTATIONS, AND MUST MORE! McCain has withheld VITAL AND CRITICAL INFORMATION! And please do not take my CAPS as yelling, I am trying to bring McCain's claims and the harm he has caused by withholding vital and critical information that ONLY HE SEEMS TO HAVE HAD AND HAS AT THE PRESENT TIME.

Senator McCain does NOT belong in the Oval Office, he belongs in PRISON!!

Posted by: NinaK | August 18, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Re:
'You would call me liberal because I believe in treating people like human beings.'Lester

Obviously, treating human as human is a novelty to some enlightened liberals and it is something you take great pride in.
Too bad, the rest of the free world has gone far beyond that.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Imagine if McCain was this sharp on the Forrestal or over Vietnam. But then again he probably didn't have handlers or Rick Warren telling him where the AAA and SAMs were coming from.

Posted by: Ace | August 18, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AsperGirl | August 18, 2008 12:50 PM
what he said was " WHEN are you going to ask me the question about the justices!"

READ:
John McCain, The Real McCain, has been given the classic media blackout treatment.
The Real McCain by Cliff Schecter “Cliff Schecter provides us with some real ‘straight talk’ about John McCain. Everyone who wants to know why John McCain won’t give us healthcare but will ...
www.realmccainbook.com/ - 6k -


Obama Nation vs. The Real McCain: A Study In Contrasts - White ... Aug 14, 2008 ... Anti-Obama book gets front page of Post and Times, anti-McCain book gets nothing Published 60 minutes ago by John Aravosis (DC) ...
beltwayblips.com/story/obama_nation_vs_the_real_mccain_a_study_in_contrasts/ - 44k - 8 hours ago -

Center for Responsive Politics
"Democrat Barack Obama has received nearly six times as much money from troops deployed overseas at the time of their contributions than has Republican John McCain, and the fiercely antiwar Ron Paul, though he suspended his campaign for the Republican nomination months ago, has received more than four times McCain's haul," the report said.
The report also included this surprise: "Members of the armed services overall -- whether stationed overseas or at home -- are also favoring Obama with their campaign contributions in 2008 57 percent has gone to Obama."
The analysis of campaign records found Obama has raised more than $60,000 from 134 men and women deployed overseas. McCain has raised $10,665 from 26 deployed donors.

[O]ne leadership aide said the full quote put it into a different context. According to that aide, Obama said, "It has become increasingly clear in my travel, the campaign -- that the crowds, the enthusiasm, 200,000 people in Berlin, is not about me at all. It's about America. I have just become a symbol."

Posted by: Katerina Deligiannis | August 18, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

wapo1 wrote:
"OK, Obama loses debates?? How about McSame looking lost at the teleprompter, threatening to veto every beer, whilst Obama delivers thundering, moving orations to a crowd of thousands?? Hmmm???"

I guess this is my biggest concern, sure he can deliver a great speech, but he has never done anything that makes me comfortable he can deliver great leadership. There are a lot of people that can deliver "thundering, moving orations to a crowd of thousands" but I don't think I would want them as President of the United States either.

Every time I read these blogs the rah, rah Obama support comes across more and more as all sound with no substance and I find it harder and hareder to imagine voting for Senator Obama. No matter how hard I try, there just doesn't seem to be any "there" there.

Posted by: Don
--------------
Hi Don, have you and others who say Senator Obama has "not done anything" taken the time to view his Illinois Senate Record and his U.S. Senate Record?? It would really be nice if you all visited these sites before you claim "he has not done anything". In his short time in the U.S. Senate he he has authored and co-authored several significant bills, some of which have become law; he has also sponsored and cosponsored hundreds of bills, some have passed and some are awaiting votes. In total Senator Obama has authored,co-authored, sponsored and co-sponsored over 2,000 pieces of legislaiton while in the U.S. Senate. I say that is outstanding and very impressive. Please refrain from making such rash and false statements and make an effort at informing yourselves on the TRUE FACTS.

Posted by: NinaK | August 18, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Democrats (in congress)do need to grow spines and stop getting cold feet when the republican slime machine starts throwing it's smears. Obama needs to embrace his European trip and his popularity for example and turn it to his advantage - e.g. McCain has to go to a Harley convention to find a large audience because he is standing firm on some unpopular issues - especially the war. Obama needs to take control of the conversation - get back to the fact that not only was he against the war, but the Bush administration and Iraq President now agree with his plan for setting a timeline - McCain has insisted on holding firm for "Victory," whatever that means.

Also, could we stop having to acknowledge McCain's service every darn time he's mentioned? Geez! I work with veterans and support them, but not every single human being who serves is a "hero" - many go into the military because they have few other choices in life and they have the bad luck to get called up. McCain was born into a privileged military family, and by his own admission in his book, not a stellar student - he served, he was shot down, he endured his captivity as many did, but that does not mean he is the most qualified to be president.

Apparently, many republicans in congress agree because a large number have not endorsed him; have expressed concern about his inconsistency and temperament; and there is "Republicans for Obama" in the House. His campaign is now limiting press access because of all of his off-message comments and gaffes about the facts - who does that sound like?

Finally, Mr. Obama - go for the town halls! Mr. McCain has shown he's not so great with the facts or talking on his feet in 2008! Let him look like the envious, grumpy old man that he has been lately. I'm sorry to say that because I used to respect him, buying into the maverick image. When he hired the Rove strategists, I lost all regard. We don't need that in 2008 and beyond.

Posted by: bethechange1 | August 18, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

McCain stole the cross in the sand story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4bTvhXMO7I

Posted by: JakeD's shadow | August 18, 2008 1:15 PM
------------
Jake, indeed he did!! NONE of his books tell the cross story!! The guy is a thief of others words and works! Just like he steals the music from the songwriters and singers; doen't bother to ask, he just takes. Pretty indicative of dictators, McCain talks and acts like a dictator!! I want to ask that "old white wrinkly white-haired dud, IF in fact he KNOWS how to find Bin Ladin and how to GET him, howcome he has not shared his "self-declared knowledge and wisdom" with all the commanders that have been in and are in Afghanistan and IRAQ? John McCain also claims he KNOWS how to win wars; again, WHY hasn't he shared his "self-declared knowledge and wisdom" with all the commands that have been in Afghanistan and Iraq?? We could have saved ourselves trillions of $$$$; we would not have lost 4,135+ servicemen and servicewomen; we would not have thousands and thousands of servicemembers come back with missing limbs, brain damages, Post Traumatic Stess Disorder, and so many suicides from reapeated rotations, and thousands upon thousands of innocent people would not have died in these long wars. Since McCain has tremendous knowledge and did NOT and has NOT shared with with the top brass in Afghanistan and Iraq, then THE WORLD SHOULD CHARGE HIM FOR SOLELY BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR THE GENOCIDE OF THE PEOPLE IN AFGHANISTAN, IRAQ, AND OUR SERVICEMEN AND SERVICEWOMEN, AND ALL SERVICEMEN AND SERVICEWOMEN FROM OUR ALLIED FORCES WHO DIED IN THESE TWO COUNTRIES. ACCORDING TO McCAIN, HE IS THE "ONLY KNOWLEDGABLE EXPERT ON FINDING AND GETTING BIN LADIN AND HE IS THE "ONLY EXPERT ON WINNING WARS", EVEN MORE OF AN EXPERT THAN GENERAL PATREAS(sp)and since he has WITHHELD such INVALUABLE KNOWLEDGE AND EXPETISE, HE IS SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE GENOCIDE COMMITTED IN AFGHANISTAN AND IRAG. IT IS TIME TIME TO CHARGE JOHN McCAIN WITH GENOCIDE AND TURN OVER TO THE HAGUE FOR PROSECUTION!!

Posted by: NinaK | August 18, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Don, The fact that more Senators endorsed the first time Sen. Obama than did the de-facto co-VP Sen. Clinton speaks volumes to how democratic senators, who are the most powerful democratic politicians, view the two in terms of their ability to lead the country.

They wouldn't have publicly crossed the Clintons and backed a first time candidate unless they had real good reasons.

In short, their peers, who know their work the best, voted for Obama.

Posted by: Republican Lies | August 18, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

wapo1 wrote:
"OK, Obama loses debates?? How about McSame looking lost at the teleprompter, threatening to veto every beer, whilst Obama delivers thundering, moving orations to a crowd of thousands?? Hmmm???"

I guess this is my biggest concern, sure he can deliver a great speech, but he has never done anything that makes me comfortable he can deliver great leadership. There are a lot of people that can deliver "thundering, moving orations to a crowd of thousands" but I don't think I would want them as President of the United States either.

Every time I read these blogs the rah, rah Obama support comes across more and more as all sound with no substance and I find it harder and hareder to imagine voting for Senator Obama. No matter how hard I try, there just doesn't seem to be any "there" there.

Posted by: Don | August 18, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Democrats don't have to stay cool, but we do have to spread the truth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/opinion/17rich.html?_r=1&ref=opinion&oref=slogin
"“McCain’s personal fortune traces back to organized crime in Arizona.”

Email it to everybody on your email lists. Call your local newspapers and politicians and tell them that we are not having Murder Inc. living in the White House and running the free world!

Posted by: Corruption Anon | August 18, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

The Democratic Party is no longer the party of my youth; Texas at one time was solid Democrat; however, the Democrats have become a party of more and more government, more and more taxes and less and less or morals and ethids. I know my solid Democrat parents would not be a member of that party today.

Obama sounds stupid: using "cool" and answering the question re abortion saying he could not answer as "above my pay grade". The Democratic party Howard Dean referred to the Republicsn Party as the White Party in address Natl. Public Radio last Friday. Guess I am a "whitie".

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I do not agree that the American public is intelligent, unless knowing how to turn on a T.V. is considered to be such. Just how intelligent are they when they have Obama ahead in the polls ?

Posted by: old mo | August 18, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

OK, Obama loses debates?? How about McSame looking lost at the teleprompter, threatening to veto every beer, whilst Obama delivers thundering, moving orations to a crowd of thousands?? Hmmm???

He is Ultra Liberal. Well, to me, that's a good thing. But if you want the continued crap we've received over the last eight years, feel free to disagree.

He has a pastor he did not address for 20 years. How about John Hagee, whose endorsement was ACTIVELY sought by McSame?? Also...it's his priest, for crying out loud. It's not like Obama knew the guy personally. Obama doesn't share many of his views. And McSame has a buncha lobbyist friends. Why doncha talk about THEM for a change??

A wife who wasn't proud of America? How about McCain, "I never truly loved America until I was deprived of her company."???? I assume we can forget that.

Would talk unconditionally with dictators. Well, joe, since W kicked our military's ass with this whole Iraq thing, diplomacy is pretty much our only course. Just look at Georgia, if you need proof. Also, what deterred N. Korea from nukes? Diplomacy. But if we want to truly lead the world against the islamic forces of evil, we have to bomb the living #%*! out of everyone we see, right? Right. #&%* diplomacy!

Opposed the surge, sure. No argument. Will not admit it is working?? Well, he put forth a timetable, right? Which means he seems reasonably sure of Iraq's security...right?? So, he is, in fact, acknowledging that the surge is working. You can't have it both ways, dude. Either the surge is working, and soon we'll be able to cut and run, or it isn't, and we'll have to get 100k troops killed in order to stay in Iraq for three centuries. Oh, and implement a draft. Jeez.

It wasn't abortion that's "above his paygrade." It's when life starts. Basically, he's saying, "I don't know, that's God's business." So, almighty Joe, when does life begin?? We stand in awe of your wisdom, and knowledge of EXACTLY what god wants. Obama has some humility. Try flogging the celebrity BS some more, now.

The religion + guns thing has been taken out of context so much. And, you know, it's true. But not a prudent thing to say when it might offend your constituents. So while I agree with him, I wish he'd kept his mouth shut. But it didn't cost him the election...so all's well that ends well...The only reason why it got so much play was that Hillary was strategically using it to turn voters off Obama. But, you know, when your life sucks, cause you got laid off from DHL, and gas is 4 bucks a gallon, ya gotta fall back on something, right? Humanity sometimes isn't rational. you, Joe, are just one example.

Is friends with terrorists?? My, but haven't you been reading your Corsi. Maybe someone forgot to tell you, but MM posted a rebuttal of the book, that specifically refutes this lie. And, Obama, BTW, is not a muslim. If he were, I would still vote for him over McSame.

Sweetheart deal from Real Estate developer?? Can you spell, L-O-B-B-Y-I-S-T-S???? McSame has a ridiculous number of em serving in his campaign, and giving him $$$$$$$. How about...T-E-D S-T-E-V-E-N-S??

Will raise taxes on SS. Well, a coupla years ago, you republidudes were all in a tizzy b/c social security needed to be fixed. There was an 11 trillion deficit!!! Now, a solution comes up, and you ridicule it. My, but we're picky. Obama's also not raising taxes on lower classes for SS. He's raising the exempt income barrier thing. Meaning that instead of paying SS taxes only on income below, like, $150,000 or something it is right now, it'll be income below $300,000. I pulled those numbers out of my ass. But you get the general idea. (Although it might be a donut hole plan...not sure).

Will raise taxes on capital gains and dividends. Please. Windfall taxes on oil companies, who, this year are breaking records with their earnings? Oh, boo-hoo. Same for megamajor corporations that ship jobs overseas. I'll be GLAD to see them taxed. I'm sorry you aren't. But, I'm sure the Bangladeshi kid who gets your job will be elated.

Thinks his grandmother is a typical white person. First, that's family stuff, stop invading personal stuff that has nothing to do with the campaign. Second, maybe she IS a typical white person. There is such a thing, you know. Third, Do you even KNOW his grandmother??

Favors late-term abortions. Again, dude, that's just a political difference, and not something that turns me off him. Nice try claiming the moral high ground, while at the same time making a blanket decision for 150 million women across the country without regard to their opinions at all. Also, you're ignoring the doctors on this. But, I forgot, you are so much wiser than they. On with the show!!

Has no foreign policy exp. how bout that W? Governors don't get a helluva lot of foreign policy exp, and they CERTAINLY get less than senators. Besides, Mr. Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran wouldn't make the best foreign policy guy, regardless his background, doncha think? And, again, there hasn't been a presidential candidate this inexperienced since...Abe Lincoln, State Legislator from Illinois....
Hmmmm...

Disagrees with Petraeus. So what? That automatically eliminates him? It's GOOD to have competing viewpoints, because then both sides can be seen, as well as the advntg's and drawbacks to both. But I imagine you're not the type to take an opposing viewpoint well.

Will pull out of Iraq. Hmm...didn't that Iraqi leaderguy just say Obama's timetable was a good idea?? But that guy wouldn't have any knowledge of the situation in Iraq, now would he?

Won't drill for more oil... Well, dude, quit driving your Hummer and you might not be so pissed. And, were you aware that the oil won't affect prices of gas for 3!!!! DECADES? And, furthermore, it is a BAD idea to continue our dependence on oil, foreign or not, b/c a) we're running out, and b) It's frying the planet. I really don't care that gas hit 4 bucks. we need investment in infrastructure, like mass transit and renewable energy REGARDLESS. Exactly like Obama says. Next.

Is against nucular-- ahem-- nuclear energy. So suddenly you care about alternative fuels? give me a break dude, you take positions as it is politically convenient for you. McSame likes it? Hop on the bandwagon!!

We shouldn't vote for Obama cause he has a funny name and is black. We should vote for him because it'd be just scary to see people who agree with you, Joe, running the show for even four more years. Also, Obama is brilliant.

Arr...Skewering troll always makes me tired....

Sorry Joe. You just got...wapo1'd.

Try not to take it too hard. After a while you'll realize that Obama actually was a better choice for America, and that the policies he's implementing are for the best.

Posted by: wapo1 | August 18, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Some people LOVE the Republicans for all the job losses, the breakdown of our economy, people facing mass foreclosures, jobs stolen from our citizens and shipped overseas, the loss of good ideals, the loss the trillions of dollars for the Iraq War which was an unnecessary but one GWB and cronies wanted to engage in for the sake of oil and look at our oil crisis now, this ward has NOT helped us, except for those companies that are making huge bucks in Iraq. A legacy of trillion of dollars borrowed from China left for us and generations to come to pay off!! The deterioration of our policies and communications with our allies, America is hated more than at any other time in history. Yes, you folks must love all of these and much, much more destruction within our United States which this administration and the 6-year Republican Congress has bestowed upon America, you love it so much you are willing and happy to elect a Republican candidate who has stated the Congress has been broken for 30 years and has failed us for those 30 years, yet, and understand this clearly, JOHN McCAIN HAS BEEN A PART OF AND PARTICIPATED IN THE POLICY MAKING FOR 26 YEARS OF THAT 30-YEAR BROKEN CONGRESS WHICH FAILED US. AND YOU WANT HIM TO CONTINUE WITH THIS BROKEN CONGRESS WHICH WILL FAIL US?? THANKS! WE DESERVE MUCH MORE AND MUCH BETTER FROM OUR LEADERS AND I AM WILLING AND HAPPY TO SUPPORT THE ONLY CANDIDATE WHO CAN AND WILL SET US ON A NEW COURSE OF PROSPERITY, IDEALISM, AND REBUILD OUR COUNTRY TO THE GOOD OF ALL PEOPLE. Will it be easy?? No, however, nothing that is worthwhile is never easy, it takes sacrifice, working together, and believing in a better tomorrow. Remember, folks we deserve much, much more and much, much better than we have gotten from the REPUBLICANS the last NEARLY EIGHT YEARS. Please think and vote smart, our country depends on US, the people.

Posted by: NinaK | August 18, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

LynneG,
If you swicthed from the dems because your candidate did not get nominated then you needd to ask your self if you understand the meaning of democarcy. Democracy is majority wins not my opinion wins. It seems to me that you were not a true democrate anyways, becuase the difference between Obama abd McCain and so stark that there is no comparison as oppose to Hillary where there were not any major difference between candidates. You have a right to choose who to vote for but you also have to be true to your principles. Thats why you join the dems in the first place Girl( or Boy) or what ever

Posted by: George | August 18, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Let's see. Obama loses debates. He is Ultra Liberal. Has a racist pastor who he does not confront for 20 years.. A wife who was not proud of America until her husband is running for President. Would talk unconditionally with dictators. Opposed the surge and will not admit it is working. Cannot answer a question on abortion because it is "above his paygrade." Thinks people who live in small towns are bitter and "cling to religion and guns." Is friends with terrorists. Gets a sweatheart deal from and indicted real estate developer which he now admits was a dumb thing to do. Will raise taxes on social security. Will raise taxes on capital gains and dividends. Thinks his grandmother is a "typical white person." Favors late term abortions. Has no foreign policy experience. Disagrees with Gen. Petraeus. Will pull out of Iraq no matter what the conditions on the ground. Will not drill for more oil to make America less dependent on foreign oil. Is against nuclear energy. ---- Why should we vote for him: Of course, because he has a funny name and he is black. What has happened to this country. The lunatics are running the asylum.

Posted by: Joe M | August 18, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

No. I wasn't actually going to give away 100k. Did you think I was?

I was just trying to make a point.

(BTW, if you want to go after me for flip-flopping, feel free. I need a good laugh)

Posted by: wapo1 | August 18, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, thanks for at least being able to present your arguments rationally, AsperGirl. It makes me feel like I was a little harsh last time. Sorry.

Posted by: wapo1 | August 18, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm cool, but anxious to know your choice for VP.

Posted by: Obama2008 | August 18, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

If you would like to ask Pastor Rick Warren a question about why he didn’t ensure that McCain was secluded during Obama’s portion of the interview at Saddleback church, he’ll be on Larry King Live tonight. Here’s the link to submit a question:

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/larry.king.live/

Posted by: bam | August 18, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

It was Obama's presentation which sucked - not whether he had the 'right' answer. Obama is so interested in keeping that nose in the air that he misses the parade.

I don't need some prof lecturing me as president, I need someone who can look me in the eye and relate!

Send Obama back to the classroom!!

Posted by: Keith | August 18, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

McCain stole the cross in the sand story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4bTvhXMO7I

Posted by: JakeD's shadow | August 18, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I find it offensive that Sen. Obama continues to imply that if we don't vote for him, it's due to racism. Sen. McCain and his supporters are unfairly tarnished again and again as racists. No one is making fun of his name. No one is implying that the "changes" Sen. Obama are in any way due to his race. Only Sen. Obama brings this up.

I was a die-hard true-blue Democrat until the DNC did everything in their power to ensure that Sen. Obama was nominated despite his shoddy record and inexperience.

I have since switched to the Independent party and am voting for Sen. McCain.

Posted by: LynnG | August 18, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

>>dyinglikeflies wrote: "I'm seeing a lot of desparation in these posts from Obama folks who can't handle the fact that McCain won what was essentially their first debate, fair and square. It doesn't fit their narrative that a supposedly senile, inflexible guy could out-perform their empty suit Messiah, Obama."

Agreed!

They did this in the 22 debates Obama lost in the Democratic primary, too, tho. Anything that Obama clearly lost was decried as some kind of cheat or rigging. Like when George Stephanopolous and ABC News got bashed for days after Obama came up miserably when Stephanopolous pressed him on Jeremiah Wright and Trinity Church.

Obama wins no debates and the ones he clearly loses is due to some cheat or rigging, according to his supporters.

Same thing as during the primaries.

Posted by: AsperGirl | August 18, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"McCain during Saddleback forum interview: "Are we gonna get back to the importance of the Supreme Court justices?" Except that McCain and Pastor Rick Warren had not yet discussed the Supreme Court justices. MCCAIN KNEW THE QUESTIONS IN ADVANCE."

I think that his statement makes it obvious he DIDN'T know if there would be a chance to comment on Supreme Court justices later, and that he was asking because he wanted to take the current opening if they weren't.

Silly, paranoid thinking on your part.

McCain supposedly was on the road for the first part of Obama questioning but in the booth for the latter part. But his performance was weak and nervous at the start and got really stronger as he went on, particularly toward the end.

The only way he could have pulled that off on purpose, would be if he was a great actor. If McCain was a great actor, he wouldn't be such a disaster with a teleprompter.

You guys are low, accusing a hero and leader of being a cheater, fabricating the accusations out of thin air on a is-Corsi-exaggerating blog. You make Corsi look as credible as a federal prosecutor, by comparison to your wild cheating accusations against McCain.

Posted by: AsperGirl | August 18, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Pete:

You would call me liberal because I believe in treating people like human beings. You are an ignorant fool and I will be a Republican after disgusting humanoids such as yourself are no longer wanted in the Republican party.

Don't confuse incivility with being conservative. Tom Delay is out but there are many more that need to be out. When they are, you'll crawl back into your hole.

Prattle on little slithering reptile!

Posted by: Lester | August 18, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm seeing a lot of desparation in these posts from Obama folks who can't handle the fact that McCain won what was essentially their first debate, fair and square. It doesn't fit their narrative that a supposedly senile, inflexible guy could out-perform their empty suit Messiah, Obama.

Now, according to RCP, they are almost even in the popular and electoral vote polls. The air is coming out of Obama's balloon. The only issue is whether the balloon deflates in time for the election, or, like with Carter, we get another so-called genius who is an incompetent leader once we are stuck with him.

Posted by: dyinglikeflies | August 18, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

To AlexP1:

Your analysis of the Saddleback forum was totally negated by your insistence on using McCaint. While I am sure you felt this was cute it tainted your entire post by reflecting a total biase.

What a shame you could not refrain from childish conduct. I think you may have presented a very good analysis but we will never know if it was biased hype or insightful thought.

Shame on you...

Posted by: Don | August 18, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Wapo1:

I'd like to give it a shot. Will you give me $100,000, if I can give you 10 pages of rebuttal to Obama's rebuttal of Corsi's book?

Page l of My rebuttal:

Here are some of the Obama rebuttal's inconstencies: (The following are the rebuttal page numbers)

Obama's Rebuttal Page 18 - "Alice Palmer pulled the plug."

This relates to his first run for the State Senate. Alice Palmer lost her bid for a higher office, so she asked Obama to step aside (she at first wanted Obama to run for her state senate seat).
He balked. She did not pull the plug on herself. In fact, she went out and got signatures on a petition to place herself on the ballot against Obama. Obama and his "staff" contested the names on the petitions of her and all the other candidates on the ballot. Obama sued in Federal Court, the uninformed judge didn't understand the complexities of the Illinois election regs and ruled in favor of Obama. Palmer and the other candidates didn't have time to appeal before the primary, so Obama ran unopposed. That election created a rift between prominent senior Black Caucus members and Obama that lasted through-out his time in the state senate. That's the whole story. Corsi's entry in the book is taken straight from the Chicago Tribune article "Barack Obama: Showing His Bare Knuckles." Obama is THE ONE taking the article out of context. (Google the Chicago Tribune 4/3/07 article, read it yourself. Then read Obama's rebuttal, compare)

Posted by: Janet8 | August 18, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Hell have no fury like a woman scorned.

I guess Mr. Obama never heard that one before.

Oh well, he'll know it next week alright.

PUMAS are on their way to Denver.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Wow! This one provoked some wild responses! What I see happening with Senator Obama fresh off of vacation is that the general is not showing all of his strengths at this point. Obama's got quite a bit in reserve, it looks to me, and now the gloves have come off.

Read the Paul F. Villarreal comment. That's the old 'be afraid of this guy' Republican strategy of the George W. Bush campaigns. Well, Republicans, 'this guy' isn't afraid of you. In fact, he's prepared for you and for what's coming. Obama's record is not perfect by any narrow slant of judgment you throw at it, but his progress ever since he got out of high school is undeniable. And he hasn't done it by disenfranchising the members of the opposing parties or viewpoints. I firmly believe that if he's lucky enough to be elected, he will be a president for ALL of us.

Posted by: MT_Guy | August 18, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

The Corsi book should be gone after on two fronts. The lesser front is that Corsi is an unreliable liar and that his work is aggenda driven fiction. The main attack should be on Matalin. She edited and is defending this piece of fictional smear. She should be taken down because she has been given UNDESERVED legitimacy by the media. As a member of Cheney's Iraq group that repeatedly lied about the reasons for War, she has deceived Americans for some time. Now, she is at it again as an accomplice with this book. To see her sitting on the panel of Meet the Press and treated as a credible pundit is AN INSULT TO EVERY VIEWER IN AMERICA.

Posted by: xargaw | August 18, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

www.fivethirtyeight.com

Posted by: AlexP1 | August 18, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

McCain during Saddleback forum interview: "Are we gonna get back to the importance of the Supreme Court justices?"

Except that McCain and Pastor Rick Warren had not yet discussed the Supreme Court justices.

MCCAIN KNEW THE QUESTIONS IN ADVANCE.

This should be front page news across the country. This forum was a farce. Despite the pastor's assurances that McCain was in a "cone of silence", in fact McCain was not even in the building. His staff has admitted that he was in a motorcade en route to the forum.

McCain and Pastor Rick Warren have deceived the American people. They have both been willing to lie and cheat in order to bias this election. It was clear from some of McCain's other responses that he knew the questions in advance, since he answered before Warren finished asking the question, and McCain's responses seemed rehearsed.

Now what about that character issue??? McCain doesn't even have the intelligence to keep his advance knowledge of the questions a secret.

You can watch a replay of the interview at www.c-span.org. The Supreme Court comment occurred at about the 18:20 minute point.

Posted by: bam | August 18, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Hillary was right, Obama will not win against McCain.

Posted by: Julie from Georgia | August 18, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

John McCain is a warmed over second stringer who won the nomination by default much like Dole in 1996. The shrinking hardcore base of Republicans aren't enthused about him. The indies, many of whom used to identify as Republicans are finally realizing that 30 years of trickle down, supply side economics with huge tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans have ballooned the nat'l debt from one trillion in 1981 to almost $10 trillion today. It took us over 200 years to get to a trillion dollars debt and 27 short years since 1981 to get to $10 trillion. McCain not only advocates Bush's crazy tax policies he'll make them worse, marching us off to national bankruptcy even faster. Why are prices rising for everything? Because 10 triliion chickens are coming home to roost and the dollar isn't worth what it used to. It's hard enough for the middle class to make it anymore let alone keep borrowing from our future to subsidize the rich too. We can't afford a John McCain presidency.

Posted by: markg8 | August 18, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

If you missed Senators McCaint and Obama answering Pastor Rick Warren's questions Saturday night then you missed an opportunity to witness a clear contrast between the old versus the new...and I'm not just talking age.

Stylistically, Senator Obama made you feel as though you were overhearing a very private conversation with a friend or confidant.

While Senator McCaint rarely looked at Pastor Rick. He gave the impression he was giving a stump speech choosing to address the audience.

His posture seemed unnatural almost forced because it wasn't the audience asking the questions.

Regardless of whether you like McCaint or Obama, the contrast couldn't be more clear.

Everything from how they answered the questions, the thought processes that went into each response, the eye contact given to Pastor Rick and the language used to answer the questions.

Barack was very thoughtful, not self righteous, humble and introspective while McCaint was very direct, combative, and simplistic.

When McCaint spoke, he spoke a lot about war - whether it was about
him or about those he thinks are wise (General Petraeus).

It makes me nervous not just because we've been at war for several years now but because McCaint seems comfortable with being at war. Those who know me know that

I am not conflict averse. I don't start fights. On the contrary, I do everything I can not to fight (verbally speaking of course)....but I don't run from a fight either.

I expect nothing less from my president. I want my president to use war as a last resort and I don't think that would be the case with Senator McCaint.

He seems too comfortable with war which on some level is understandable since war has shaped his life on so many levels.

Still, I think McCaint would use a shotgun to kill a gnat! I want my president to see things sometimes through rose colored glasses as opposed to night vision goggles.

Even though he was thoughtful, he didn't talk that much about his tours in Vietnam but when he did he said these words "...those who have never been to war are quick to send others while those who have been, use it as a last resort."

Senator Obama seems to think like a man who has been to war and never wants to send anyone back into harm's way. While Senator McCaint seems to think like a man who has never been to war.

I think a powerful man must be slow to anger because his decisions have a ripple effect which can last for generations.

Another McCaint annoyance for me is his story telling about Vietnam. I know he's a war hero (coming from a military family I respect his sacrifice) and American's like stories but I don't want a story in response to my questions every time.

I want my president to be able to relate to me present day. He should not have to go back 30 or 40 years in order for me to get to know him better.

Lastly, someone in the McCaint camp needs to tell him to stop starting almost every response with "my friends."

It is cheesy, pathetic, moronic and irritating.

I am not his friend - not because I don't like him but because I don't personally know him. When he says "my friends...it sounds labored, simplistic, condesending, and again pathetic"

I feel like I'm in a used car lot about to be fed a line about why the odometer reads 10-thousand miles but the tires are bald and the car is 10 years old.

It makes me not trust him.

Clearly the audience was evangelical-right Saturday night. They have been waiting for a lot of the answers McCaint gave them and when he did they rewarded him with thunderous applause. That's good news for McCaint.

However, the bad news is not all audiences will be evangelical-right. One thing is for sure, both candidates have work to do if they're going to capture independent voters in November.

.......McCaint and his "friends"..how sad

As his own campaign staff has already said:
"...the Candidate does not speak for the Campaign...."

Posted by: AlexP1 | August 18, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

wapo1, I appreciate your considered and thoughtful post and reply below.

>>wapo1 wrote: " AsperGirl, Obama and Hillary are pretty much the same as far as the issues go (except maybe Hillary was slightly more centrist). Obama did not endorse negative campaigning, and his campaign did not engage in such attacks. It was THE MEDIA that hyped all that stuff up.

Well, you're right there. But isn't it true that Obama has a sophisticated behind-the-scenes media machine? Including coordination with sites like Huffington Post and DailyKos, which started not long ago and suddenly became hi-gloss, sophisticated online new media outlets pumping pro-Obama propaganda and hate speech against his rivals? Plus there are the network of Obama supporters among the media itself. I think it's right to feel he owns what goes on out there in media land.

But you are right, in that I am pointing the finger blame at what goes on in media and blog land, at the Obama campaign. I may be wrong; it's just my opinion and many of my opinions have been wrong.

>>wapo1 wrote: "So, basically, you are taking out your anger caused by the media on the ONE PERSON who can bring something like Hillary's vision of America to America. I mean, how can you HONESTLY like Hillary, and then, as soon as she's gone, compromise all of your principles for the sake of a grudge. Is it worth this grudge to get thousands more people killed in Iraq? To allow continued torture? To allowunbridled executive power? Oil tax cuts? Lack of health care and decent education for every American? Continued exploitation of fossil fuels, and an acceleration in global warming? A continued slide of our perception abroad?"

The problem is that McCain isn't the Bush-like candidate the Obama supporters allege. He's not Big Oil, he fought against the torture (as an ex-POW it was one of his principled stands). I don't like McCain's health care plans compared to HIllary Clinton's, true; these are a big weakness for McCain. McCain's all for energy independence, low-greenhouse gas energy programs; his energy platform is more progressive than Obama's but the media won't report that. McCain goes against all the Republicans on climate change and believes in it.

Yes, it is true the world loves Obama and that he could make a difference with our Mideastern allies and enemies alike. But he hasn't shown any specifics or understanding about how he could make that change for us to being Islamist-movement-friendly. If Obama could show how he could make us friendly with Islamists, I'd vote for him.

>>wapo1 wrote: "AsperGirl, please take a long, hard look at your priorities. Be strong, and do what is right, not what is spiteful. And if, on January 20, it is John McCain on the podium, and four years later, the same politics is going on, and you have continued with the outlook you have now, I do hope that you will look back with remorse, and realize that it was people like you who forced this country to a grinding halt, just after the first hope we had to turn the negative tide around surfaced.?"

I'm waiting for the conventions, actually. I can change my mind up to that point, I think. But I'm having a really hard time feeling some love for Obama.

Obama's appeal with people who want more substance and specifics than his vague rhetoric, is limited. He just doesn't appeal to certain concrete thinkers and won't so long as the arguments for his candidacy are rhetorical and personality-based and his appeal remains cool and affected instead of real and grounded.

Posted by: AsperGirl | August 18, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

The prove and measure of who has the strongest candidate, campaign, message and will win the "State by State" vote come November is in the "pudding", to use an old sayin. You have to break it down ingredient by ingredient and then you will see who will be the next resident in the White House. Polls and forums at this stage of the process say nothing of relevance. All the slim you can throw won't help you if you don't have the boots on the ground to get the vote out. All the smear and fear you can muster won't help if you don't have the tools to get the vote out. The actual voting process has already begun. It starts with vision, then inspiration, organization, dedication and utilization of resources to make it happen. It is no secret to anyone who is "leading" and who is "way behind" in these categories. Which campaign is struggling and which is building with each day.Don't just look at the candidate, look at who and what is behind the candidate. In the end, that will be the deciding factor.

Posted by: cathy | August 18, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Obama continues his professional 'victim' role.

he is disgusting

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

>> wapo1 wrote: "Frank, You know, It's forty pages of "immaturity" to you, but I defy you to actually write even a ten-page rebuttal of these forty pages. I am willing to bet 100k that you will never even come close."

Uh, I tried. The blog owner is "holding it for review". Maybe it will go up later if he lets it through.

Posted by: AsperGirl | August 18, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

AsperGirl, Obama's biggest supporters are Pakistani Muslims. Not a big deal, you say. So why even bring it up??

McCain's core group is REALLY, REALLY old people. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

LOL

Posted by: wapo1 | August 18, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

If you are already one-tracked rightist, then McCain was definitely on all his talking points on Saturday. Amazing how he skipped the first religious forum they had. I guess since then he has been well coached. Notwithstanding however, there was nothing genuine about his presentation. Obviously Obama is a scholar, an analyst. McCain sounded like Guilliani without 911. Instead, he would bring up some war in every situation. Can we say blood-thirsty?

Regardless of the candidates themselves, calling out racism before it is actually used is called 'putting them on notice'.

For the person that mentioned the Asians and their success inspite of experienced racism, basically, this is how I see it. The Asians do not have to become politically involved in US politics. We know that, with very fiew exceptions, their allegiance lies primarily with the countries and provinces of their origin. Unfortunately for the Blacks, they have to try to get equal political clout because they do not have a country of origin to return to. The Black case in the US is unique versus the situation of any other minority groups. I myself am black, but I have a country of origin and when I work and save etc, my aim is retire back to my home country. I am not as bothered by the ignorance of racism--I know where I belong and to where I can return. I know exactly who my people/ancestors are. African-Americans do not have that luxury. People like me who have willingly migrated to the US and have been discriminated against have weighed the pros and cons and decided that it was worth it (economically of course). African-Americans did not have that option. Might I also mention that the Asians and all other minorities benefit greatly from the struggles and suffering of the Blacks. It's okay though, we'll take many for the team even if the team just does not appreciate nor understand it.

Posted by: Clara@Bristol | August 18, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Next topic please

Posted by: Huh | August 18, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

1) Obama hasn't sued about Corsi because he's on a presidential campaign, moron, and if you don't know, that takes a lot of time and effort. Also, if you weren't completely ignorant, you would know that the laws about slander change A LOT from the general public to candidates for public office. In simple terms that your poor, hurting brain (the term is applied loosely) should be able to comprehend: it's a lot harder for a candidate for public office to win such a lawsuit. Do some research next time, please, to avoid looking like a complete idiot.
2) AsperGirl, Obama and Hillary are pretty much the same as far as the issues go (except maybe Hillary was slightly more centrist). Obama did not endorse negative campaigning, and his campaign did not engage in such attacks. It was THE MEDIA that hyped all that stuff up. So, basically, you are taking out your anger caused by the media on the ONE PERSON who can bring something like Hillary's vision of America to America. I mean, how can you HONESTLY like Hillary, and then, as soon as she's gone, compromise all of your principles for the sake of a grudge. Is it worth this grudge to get thousands more people killed in Iraq? To allow continued torture? To allowunbridled executive power? Oil tax cuts? Lack of health care and decent education for every American? Continued exploitation of fossil fuels, and an acceleration in global warming? A continued slide of our perception abroad?
AsperGirl, please take a long, hard look at your priorities. Be strong, and do what is right, not what is spiteful. And if, on January 20, it is John McCain on the podium, and four years later, the same politics is going on, and you have continued with the outlook you have now, I do hope that you will look back with remorse, and realize that it was people like you who forced this country to a grinding halt, just after the first hope we had to turn the negative tide around surfaced.
3)Most people know little about Obama?!?! How about McSame??????? How many people know about the fact that he finished fifth from the bottom of his class in the Naval academy? That he committed adultery? That he crashed his plane into power lines while training? I mean, Obama has two freakin' biographies out. The media knows EXACTLY who his parents were, and what THEIR biographies are. I can't tell you who McCain's parents are. I mean, people know about Obama's drug use, but how many people know about McCain's party-animal behavior as a high ranking officer? (A position he got into because of his family, by the way, whoever they were). Also, even the spineless, gutless media is treating the Corsi book exactly as it is: a SHAM. In 2004, he wrote a book. It was COMPLETELY DISCREDITED by REPUBLICANS as well as liberals. And, so, when he comes around again, is everybody like, oh, that's the chronic liar?? NO!!! His book becomes a bestseller!! Based on "evidence" taken from RIGHT WING BLOGS!!! Honestly, dude, the book is discredited. It's full of lies and factual distortions that were KNOWN lies before Corsi ever published. You want a real book? How about: McCain: Stupid, Incompetent, Untrustworthy. Jesus. Most of the American public has said they've heard TOO MUCH about Obama. And you say they don't know enough??????? Dude, like, go see a doctor. Seriously. You might actually be delusional. And don't just keep parroting: "Corsi is God! Corsi is God! RAWWKK!!!" until you've actually read at least some of the thousands of refutations of his book. I bet you haven't even glanced at Obama's rebuttal. You just read the book, and look at anything that contradicts it and say: Nope. That's not true. Corsi is god. Rawwk!! You reinforce your viewpoint by reviewing stuff MEANT to reinforce your viewpoint, not actual facts. It's like, if you were trying to judge impartially which is better, dogs or cats, and then went out, watched Underdog, and used that as proof that dogs can fly, and lift heavy objects. BTW, the answer is definitely cats are better.
4) The Race Card was not played by Obama. McRetar-- ahem, McSame tried every trick in the book to provoke Obama into saying something remotely resembling an acknowledgement that he is, in fact, black. WHOOOO!!! SCARY!!!! Then, when Obama calls the McCain campaign for what they are doing, they run away, screaming WAHHHHH!!! RACE CARD, RACE CARD!!! I mean, it's not like Obama even said anything remotely offensive. To ANYONE. McCain is basically trying to inject race into the debate to remind everyone that Obama's just an uppity Negro, and thus unfit to lead. How low can you go??
5) The race hasn't even been close in terms of negativity. Thanks to the fact that the majority of the American public recognizes this, I won't dwell on it, just bring it up, so I can chuckle as you republicans splutter indignantly and scream ineffective arguments back at me. How cute. But we don't need a toddler as president.

I will probably get a lot of negative replies to this post, but I don't care. Several reasons:
1) The replies will undoubtedly not come remotely close to refuting my arguments, although many will make one or two arguments, and then declare my entire post void.
2) I feel sorry for people so disillusioned that they are willing to vote against their own interests, so I was gonna let it slide anyway.
3) I enjoy knowing that republicans are responding to my post, b/c I know they are seething with rage and fury at my ability to come up with clear, stated arguments, and their lack of ability to come up with anything close. It's very funny.

So, bring it on. You're only proving my point.

And I haven't even gotten into the ISSUES yet. You think I pwned you this round?? Just wait.

Posted by: wapo1 | August 18, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Frank, You know, It's forty pages of "immaturity" to you, but I defy you to actually write even a ten-page rebuttal of these forty pages. I am willing to bet 100k that you will never even come close.

I'm just sayin'.

Posted by: wapo1 | August 18, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

This is like the run-up to the Iraq War, where the mainstream media didn't publish the facts that anyone who got good with searching news.google.com knew.

It was all out there: the debunking of the "yellowcake" uranium story, the fact that the WMD "tubes" proof was technical wrong, and everything else.

It just didn't make it into the stonewalling of the mainstream media, who appoints itself guardian of the truth when it buys into a certain biased view. And at that time, the biased view they bought into was that we had to put our trust in the president because everyone assumed he had some uber-strategy behind all the lies that made it important to let him execute.

Only recently did the press spend a little time discussing how they misreported and selectively reported stuff that was out there in more marginal and regional news outlets.

They're doing the same thing now with failing to cover all the inconsistencies and faked facts in Barack Obama's faux autobiography. Obama admits that it's "historical fiction" with "composite characters", but everyone treats it as truth.

Look at the links on this comments page. Follow them and read them, for the information that the mainstream media won't report.

Corsi is a notorious conspiracy theory rider. That doesn't mean that everything in his book is wrong, just that he's jumped on this subject like he does on every notorious "debunking" and judging from previews (the book isn't available to me yet) he's over the top a lot. But that doesn't mean that there isn't a lot wrong with Obama's accounts of his background.

Follow the links on this page. Read them.

Posted by: AsperGirl | August 18, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Paul, BTW, you wanna bring up LINCOLN?? OK. Lincoln was a relatively inexperienced state legislator. He spoke eloquently, with brilliant speeches, establishing part of his portrait in history. (Gettysburgh address, hmmm??) He was new to the political stage, and had big ideas for transforming America.

Parallels, anyone??

Posted by: wapo1 | August 18, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

it gives me great pleasure to say this to all the american people don't forget your past,but we must live in the future.may who ever you believe in bless you.and i hope when this is all over we find a way to love one another.and notice i did not say work together. i said love one another.

Posted by: frank | August 18, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Call me what you will, I'm still going to point out that if Corsi's book had enough slander and lies within its pages, Obama could and should sue; that if there were enough slander and lies within its pages the publisher would never have published Corsi's book because it doesn't want a lawsuit; and why hasn't Obama sued instead of lowering himself to the writer's level with a "forty-page rebuttal"? Lots of maturity there--forty-pages worth.

Yeah, that's who I want for President, another stinking little kid. Got a whole Congress full of them now and what have any of the gang-bangers of either party done for us lately? Nothing.

What Obama and his fanatical supporters don't realize is that by simply responding with more than no comment or a smile and a wave off, they've just fallen to oldest gambit in the political world. Their policy shouldn't be fight back, give the book legs, or the content within its pages any merit, but instead, rise above, ignore the bull that comes with this kind of territory and press on with the issues. Did they do that? No. Is this man mature enough politically to handle the world, if he's so easily drawn out? NO.

The world is still a ghetto, and the same mentality prevails. Skin color no advantage in this ghetto, skin color doesn't mean jack here, but the players are every bit as deadly, if not more so, and the stakes are much higher than a few blocks worth of turf in a major city.


.

Posted by: M.L. Bushman | August 18, 2008 9:38 AM

-------------------

They'd BETTER fight back, and hard. Kerry didn't take it seriously until it was too late. You, sir, don't want Obama to fight back as well so he can be "Swiftboated" too.

Posted by: SAGG | August 18, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

you gotta love the people who say dr.corsi is right on when talking about barack in this book of his.my question to all of you is this if you knew about barack before hand why did you buy the book?oh i know why; stupid people foundation.here buy this book i don't know who will win the presidency,but i know who will.

Posted by: frank | August 18, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Get the the f**in issues already. Who is better off than they were 8 years ago? What does the US have in its arsenal except HOT AIR when it comes to important international events, like Russia invading Georgia? Do we really need a president who is Rambo lite, thinking military might is the answer to all situation.
Obama has to stick it hard to McCain on the issues and remind voters that Mr media made Celebrity from 2000 has lost his maverick crown and is now a sychophant of W. If McCain gets in its will be the same crowd that ran the Bush administration - really McCain should just choose Cheney as the resident VP who runs the place. Its past time for the Democrats to get mad, now its time to get even.

Posted by: nclwtk | August 18, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

"Corsi's book had nothing to do with Barry getting pummeled by McCain Saturday night. Now the Barry campaign is trying to smear McCain by saying he knew the questions in advance. How desperate and frightened they are. There’s no evidence that McCain had any such advantage. But the fact that Barry's people made this suggestion means they know McCain outperformed him."

Posted by: Jack Straw

Jack, you don't know straw about what you're talking about. Only yahoos thought McCain was more effective. Anyone with a thoughtful brain would reject McCain and 95 percent of what he stands for. He's corrupt in morals, mind and body. And it shows. The MSM won't talk about it, but that's one of the reasons they're going down the youtubes.

Posted by: edwcorey | August 18, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Call me what you will, I'm still going to point out that if Corsi's book had enough slander and lies within its pages, Obama could and should sue; that if there were enough slander and lies within its pages the publisher would never have published Corsi's book because it doesn't want a lawsuit; and why hasn't Obama sued instead of lowering himself to the writer's level with a "forty-page rebuttal"? Lots of maturity there--forty-pages worth.

Yeah, that's who I want for President, another stinking little kid. Got a whole Congress full of them now and what have any of the gang-bangers of either party done for us lately? Nothing.

What Obama and his fanatical supporters don't realize is that by simply responding with more than no comment or a smile and a wave off, they've just fallen to oldest gambit in the political world. Their policy shouldn't be fight back, give the book legs, or the content within its pages any merit, but instead, rise above, ignore the bull that comes with this kind of territory and press on with the issues. Did they do that? No. Is this man mature enough politically to handle the world, if he's so easily drawn out? NO.

The world is still a ghetto, and the same mentality prevails. Skin color no advantage in this ghetto, skin color doesn't mean jack here, but the players are every bit as deadly, if not more so, and the stakes are much higher than a few blocks worth of turf in a major city.


.

Posted by: M.L. Bushman | August 18, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Interesting that McCain wasn't in the *cone of silence,* Saturday Night, while Obama was being interviewed.
More interesting, is that the Media is basically silent about this.
Can you imagine the Media uproar, had the situations been reversed, and it was Obama that wasn't in the building, as agreed??
Also, the Media made a big issue that Obama didn't wear a Lapel Pin. Yet, Saturday Night, McCain wasn't wearing a Lapel Pin.
Why is the Media silent about this?
It's a garbage issue, but since the Media made it one, shouldn't they be asking McCain about this???
It's amazing Obama has been in the lead, with how the Media only scrutinizes Obama... and refuses to scrutinize McCain.

Posted by: baz | August 18, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

can you imagine what it would be like if tiger woods ran for president.i am voting for barack i don't care who are what his mom and dad went through and why. matter of fact it could be what ever you call worst than that and i would not vote for mccain.i would not spend a dime on that book or any other book,but i think the money he gets from the book should go to the stupid people foundation 2, kerry was foundation 1

Posted by: frank | August 18, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

The great fear of Americans is that we are sliding down and out of the middle class into whatever awaits us below. Whoever seems best able to change direction carefully and lead us out of the morass in which we find ourselves deserves our vote.

Abraham Lincoln didn't have all that much experience before this great Republican became President. Experience matters, but experience can be enriched by wise choices of advisers and appointees.

Posted by: First Mouse | August 18, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

The sad reality is this BOTH Obama and McCain SUCK! I know many people are saying I am going to vote for Obama because he is the lesser of the two evils. I would say to them but he is still EVIL! Democracy will not work in America at it’s optimum best until we have more than just two parties to choose from.

Right now nine times out of ten our choice is bad or worse. How many of you have taken a serious look at the third party candidates? There are actually some GREAT ones who span the political spectrum. This year I was VERY excited about both Kucinich & Paul. I mean they are not perfect but Obama & McCain would not be fit to carry either of their Jock Straps!

Tex

Posted by: Harold aka Texson | August 18, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Corsi's book had nothing to do with Barry getting pummeled by McCain Saturday night. Now the Barry campaign is trying to smear McCain by saying he knew the questions in advance. How desperate and frightened they are. There’s no evidence that McCain had any such advantage. But the fact that Barry's people made this suggestion means they know McCain outperformed him.

Posted by: Jack Straw | August 18, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

>>D wrote: "Two polls released yesterday showed McCain inching ahead in CO (only the third time ever!) and gaining 8% in one month in Ohio. Full roundup: http://campaigndiaries.com/2008/08/18/mccain-leads-in-third-colorado-poll-moves-into-tie-in-ohio/"

You can bet this is the Obama/DNC strategy of attacking Republicans for being "white" and making louder and louder specious accusations of racism against Republicans lately (e.g. Obama telling supporters that "they" will use race against him in stump speeches) is paying off for Republicans, not Democrats.

Posted by: AsperGirl | August 18, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

RE:
Posted by: Lester | August 18, 2008 9:02 AM

Face it, Lester. You Liberals are being played.
Obama biggest supporters are Pakistanis Muslims, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Posted by: pete | August 18, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Obama has a lot of work to do as he gets back, and we've got to question the wisdom of taking 6 days off in the middle of August. Two polls released yesterday showed McCain inching ahead in CO (only the third time ever!) and gaining 8% in one month in Ohio. Full roundup: http://campaigndiaries.com/2008/08/18/mccain-leads-in-third-colorado-poll-moves-into-tie-in-ohio/

Posted by: D | August 18, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

majorteddy, I would still come back if Obama gets the boot and Hillary Clinton gets the nomination, but that ain't gonna happen.

I've totally turned against the Democrats after their slide into sleazy racist politics.

It's an open secret that an anti-white, anti-establishment grievance mentality is the underbelly of the Obama "movement". The left wing of the Democratic party is moving into a kind of a sneering-at-whites, ghetto grievance mentality. Just last week, Howard Dean, the Democratic Party Chair, called the Republicans "the White Party".

The Democrats who are diving into the socially destructive mudpit of using race as a cynical "wedge" politics tool are worse than any of the most divisive Republicans who used abortion or family values as "wedge" issues ever were. And the DailyKos hate speech artists and sockpuppets who "spread the memes" all over the Internet are the irregulars in this worse-than-Rove-ever-was racial hate campaign.

I'm turned off of Democrats, now. Probably forever.

The only thing that makes me halfway hopeful they're not all cynical racist-politics wedge manipulators is the fact that so many feel as I do and deeply resist this new turn of the Party and keep pushing for Hillary Clinton.

The divide between the core Clinton supporters and the Obama movement in the Democratic party goes deeper than just man candidate vs. female candidate.

Posted by: AsperGirl | August 18, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Re:Pete=====you are a lying racist Republican, just like your lying sneaky racist candidate John McMaggot.

Posted by: m | August 18, 2008 8:51 AM

And THE NILE is a river in...Pakistan?
It wouldn't matter that Obama is Muslim.
But that he is lying to you, Liberals??!!

Posted by: pete | August 18, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

The fact that the GOP has not had the integrity to refute the demonstrably evil slander of Corsi says volumes about its own worthiness of the trust we should be able to place in our leaders. What happened to the John McCain we knew ? He tries to preempt Obama with talks about change, but his past voting record and the conduct of his present campaign all but plagiarises the Bush playbook. I thought he was better than that.

Posted by: hlandis2 | August 18, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

From the Republicans, only more of the same. The Swiftboat Submarine Sailors is all they got left, in what will be a losing 2008 effort. They have no substance, and know they are in for defeat, so they resort to lies and fear mongering. With Karl Rove at the helm, you wouldn't expect any less. But this time around we're not putting up with it. Their day is over.

Posted by: Brauce Weik | August 18, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Pete:

Your very smug. You think because your nastiness had worked in 2004 that it will work again. The sands were shifting in 2004 but you pulled one out. The mood in the country is different, the economy is different and the demographic are changing. The worse thing in the world is going to happen, you will have a black president and for all your lying about him, your nasty spirit will have no peace because he will be appreciated and liked and you won't understand why.

Your little world is about to get smaller. There is much you do not understand but it is about to get worse. There is one thing that will improve over the next decade and that is your family's economic circumstance. But you're to confused to even realize it.

Posted by: Lester | August 18, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I loved McCain's combover at Saddleback. It is emblematic of what he believes and what he stands for.

Posted by: ericmiami | August 18, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

MORE MONEY, MORE MONEY! I CAN BUT THE PRESIDENCEY! NO PUBLIC FUNDS FOR ME!! STAY COOL WHILE I THE ELITIST HAVE 28,000 DOLLAR AND 2300 DOLLAR DINNERS WHILE A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE NO GAS! NO FOOD! i AM THE CHANGE YOU HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!!! BARF!!!

Posted by: Cheryll | August 18, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Aspergirl====it is unbelievable the way you Republican spinmasters have become such a group of expert liars to drag up such preposterous story. If Hitler had had all you Republican propagandists working for him he probably would have won World War II!You dishonor this nation by making up such lies.

Posted by: majorteddy | August 18, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Yep , stay cool. the republicans are gonna pull out more slime , lies, and will again steal an election. If John McCain is the president he will continue to ruin this country just like Bush.
God Help My Grandchildren

Posted by: westexacan | August 18, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Aspergirl====AHA! All through the primaries you masqueraded a a Hillary Democrat. It is obvious from the way you are speaking now that I was right about you and that you were nothing but a sneaky lying Rush Limbaugh Dittohead Republican!

Posted by: majorteddy | August 18, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

It's nastiness time in the election. So I like to tell people that I'm planning to vote for the charismatic, empty suit, elitist, arrogant, young black guy rather than the hot-headed, Bush-clone, senile, rich, old white guy.

I would have voted for McCain in 2000, welcomed him on the Kerry ticket in 2004, but for my taste he's totally sold out to the Bush wing of the Republican party in the last 4 years. And for that, he deserves to be sent home in November.

Posted by: Michael | August 18, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

DAILYKOS FAKED THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE ON OBAMA'S "FIGHT THE SMEARS" WEBSITE

The birth certificate image linked to from the Obama campaign's "Fight the Smears" website is a fake, by a DAILYKOS blogger opendna. The Obama campaign shell-games that this is a true image, via a spokesman using ambiguous statements, but it won't explain who in Obama's campaign or family is actually vouching for it or where the obviously corrupt image came from.

Blogger admits Hawaii birth certificate forgery, subverting Obama claims
(http://web.israelinsider.com/Articles/Politics/12956.htm)

The fake birth certificate probably doesn't misrepresent Obama's birth, but that his father was racially recorded as an "Arab" instead of as an "African". Obama's father was an ethnically Arab African and registered racially as an "Arab" in his own birth records and considered himself such. Obama's been playing a shell game for months with the fake birth certificate, where his campaign points to the one suddenly appearing on DailyKos is real without ever really claiming that it's real, and never providing a certified copy to reporters as was asked for months ago.

Posted by: AsperGirl | August 18, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Pete=====you are a lying racist Republican, just like your lying sneaky racist candidate John McMaggot.

Posted by: m | August 18, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

McCain claims to be a change agent. He's had 25 years - he's changed alright, into a spineless puppet for the gop - Bush III. He sacrificed his convictions for the gop nomination and is now being let by the nose by the worse neocon cohorts behind the bush admin. Lord help us all. Why is it that americans are so easilly swayed by style over substance? And why do they have such a hard time voting for intelligence. McCain isn't fit to compete much less be elected. This isn't 1970, his time and method of thinking have passed.

Posted by: JDB | August 18, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

"Obama's childhood records vindicate Corsi book: Photo shows candidate registered 'as an Indonesian citizen and a Muslim'"

NEW YORK – An AP photo that recently surfaced showing Barack Obama registered for school as an Indonesian citizen of the Muslim religion provides tangible evidence for some of the claims made by author Jerome Corsi in his best-selling book, "The Obama Nation."

"The Associated Press document provides additional evidence suggesting the Obama campaign's insistence that Obama was never trained in Islam and he never lived as a Muslim is not accurate," author and WND staff reporter Jerome R. Corsi said.

"Moreover, the document indicated that Obama may have been an Indonesian citizen when he lived there," Corsi continued. "This is an issue the Obama rebuttal fails to address at all, evidently conceding the accuracy of the claim."

Corsi discusses these school registration documents on pages 50-52 of "The Obama Nation."

The existence of the school registration was first revealed on the Internet by "An American Expat in Southeast Asia" on Jan. 24, 2007.

Since then, the issue has been widely discussed, but without the documentary proof the Associated Press photo has now provided.

(more at http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=72667)

Posted by: AsperGirl | August 18, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Wait the landslide is coming, a wave of new voters will reshape the political landscape.The only thing to fear is fear itself, a Democrat said that, be afraid ,be very afraid is the mantra of Republicans.Viva la cult!

Posted by: joseph marcucilli | August 18, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Shhh!!!!
Obama was telling Pakistani Muslims to stay cool?!
Liberals, you are being played. Doc Obama is a lying Muslim.

Posted by: pete | August 18, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Where is the John McCain who was a fearless leader on immigration?

Where is the John McCain who criticized the president's wartime tax cuts?

Where is the John McCain who condemned the intolerance of the religious right?

Where is the John McCain who slammed the Swift Boat authors?

Something drastic has happened to the free-thinking John McCain most of America knew and loved.

He's become Candidate McCain who definitely has sold out to the extremists in his party.

He is a shell, an empty suit if you will of his former self. Yes, it is time for a change! Turn him out!

Posted by: Florenzo | August 18, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

>>Paul F. Villarreal wrote: "I would be thrilled to support a qualified, experienced, honest, non-corrupt African-American candidate."

You're wasting your time.

They don't care what your real ideas and opinions are. The people who go around attacking Obama critics as "racists" know very well most people have issues with Obama for reasons having nothing to do with race.

The Obama supporters who come on this forum posting sleazy Republican-dehumanizing accusations of racism are DailyKos hate speech artists. They do this on purpose and they organize over at that cesspool of a social network, and then spread out across the Internet pretending to be real readers/posters, spewing campaign attacks and Obama praise all over news forums. They post under multiple usernames. Probably 1 in 20 new forum posts are from genuine readers/posters, instead of a DailyKos "sockpuppet".

It really is like a cult, when it comes to these DailyKos sockpuppets. They have a sociopathic groupthink, in a paranoid, thought-policed and cyberbullying subculture. The DailyKos sockpuppets are hate speech artists and they have a lot of abuse going on over at their website, where they "hide" threads that contain abuse and death threats, etc.

So when you post things here or elsewhere, they'll attack you and call you a racist, and if you try to claim you're not and have genuine ideas, they'll only attack you more. They enjoy the cyberbullying.

They are what the racist, ranting artist Rev. Wright would be if he was a pathetic, isolated, frustrated geek in his African American parents' basement instead of a pastor.

Just ignore them. Everyone knows that they're the racists, anyways. They hate Republicans and talk about them as if they were animals. And a lot of them talk about white people in general that way, too. The anti-white, anti-establishment grievance mentality the hidden underbelly of the Obama "movement". Just last week, Howard Dean, the Democratic Party Chair, called the Republicans "the White Party".

Posted by: AsperGirl | August 18, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Largest haul ever from South Asians but probably not likely Indians.
So who are these South Asians?
Are they like...Pakistanis?
Christians or Muslims?
Muslims most likely.
Special interest?

Posted by: pete | August 18, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Corsi's book is a typical piece of slime brought to you by Karl Rove and the rest of the fascist machine. It's designed to give ignorant, brainwashed bushies something to reinforce their delusional fantasies.

After all, based on the model of Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Hannity, and Savage, the easiest way to respond to inconvenient facts is to shout talking points as loudly as possible.

Posted by: Larry-T | August 18, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Rethug trolls are in full force on this blog. Indie,Dems, and Obamacans, do not believe all the lies these trolls spread about Obama. Do your own research!

Obama 08'-12'

Posted by: Washington35 | August 18, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

It's so much fun to watch the racists fringe goblins howl and gnash when an article like this comes out.

If you've ever watched the movie Labyrinth you know what picture is in my head. :))

Posted by: Judi Hussein | August 18, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

"The Obama Overreach: Refuting A Few of Corsi’s Smears By Re-Writing History?

By Jake Tapper
August 15, 2008 5:42 PM

Don’t get me wrong – I half expected to see anti-Obama author Jerome Corsi at today’s Bigfoot press conference.

But not everything in the Obama campaign’s 40-page refutation of Corsi’s shoddy and dishonest book “Obama Nation” is fair.

Much of what Corsi writes in his book is demonstrably false, irresponsible, and feverishly conjured. The book is indefensible, as are Corsi’s many bigoted remarks about Arabs, the Pope and others.

But the Obama campaign got a little greedy in their refutations.

First of all, on the front of the response, is a labeled stamped “Brought to you by Bush/Cheney Attack Machine...

(more at ABC News Political Punch: http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/08/the-obama-overr.html)

Posted by: AsperGirl | August 18, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Good luck to you and your candidate, my friends.

As the truth is beginning to find it's way to the surface:

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=72667

...he is going to need it.

The race card play by one of you is very sad and disappointing. Two of my important mentors were African-American men. I am Latino. I am no White Supremacist nutjob and I would be thrilled to support a qualified, experienced, honest, non-corrupt African-American candidate.

Barack Obama is not that candidate.

I am a lifelong Dem. And I will never in my life vote for Obama for anything. After the South Carolina Memo fiasco and Katrina tears, it was over. Obama is a fraud and a disgrace to the legacy of Dr. King and people like John Lewis and Andrew Young.

Paul F. Villarreal

Posted by: Paul F. Villarreal | August 18, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

What are Junior's donors going to do when He (Obama) is not his party's candidate. What are all of you "community activists" going to do? Burn down YOUR hood. Not that's an America YOU can be proud of.

Posted by: Jon Iscream | August 18, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

"That is how confident I am in what Corsi has written: It can stand on its own two feet."

Despite your claim, I don't think you've actually read the book. If you had, you'd be saying 'on its own "eight" feet'.

Posted by: laboo | August 18, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

http://mediamatters.org/items/200808040005?f=h_top

Unfit for Publication: Corsi's The Obama Nation filled with falsehoods


Summary: In its preface, Jerome Corsi compares his new book, The
Obama Nation, to his 2004 book Unfit for Command. The comparison seems
apt: Just as Unfit for Command contains false attacks on Sen. John
Kerry's military service, a Media Matters review finds that The Obama
Nation similarly contains numerous falsehoods about Sen. Barack Obama.


In the preface of his recently released book, The Obama Nation:
Leftist Politics and the Cult of Personality, author Jerome Corsi
writes: "My intent in writing this book, as was the case in
coauthoring Unfit for Command, is to fully document all arguments and
contentions I make, extensively footnoting all references, so readers
can determine for themselves the truth and validity of the factual
claims." Indeed, Corsi's comparison of the two books seems quite apt:
Just as Unfit for Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John
Kerry contains false and baseless attacks on Sen. John Kerry's
military service, a Media Matters for America review finds that Obama
Nation similarly contains numerous falsehoods about Sen. Barack Obama.


Media Matters previously documented false and baseless charges Corsi
made in Obama Nation about Obama's positions on the Global Poverty Act
of 2007 and nuclear weapons. Media Matters also pointed out false
statements Corsi made while discussing the book with Fox News host
Sean Hannity, concerning Obama's position on abortion and Obama's
memoir Dreams From My Father (Crown, 1995).


Below are additional falsehoods from Obama Nation, listed in the order
in which they appear in the book:


The divorce


Corsi baselessly suggests that Obama's father, Barack Obama Sr., may
have divorced his mother, Stanley Ann Dunham, "following the
prescripts of Islamic sharia law." Corsi's sole source for this
statement is a blogger who made the claim in a March 20 post, which
featured the false headline, "BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA WAS MUSLIM FOR 31
YEARS" and misstated Obama's mother's name as "Shirley Ann." The
blogger Corsi cited, "Majalah Bulanan Kumunitas Indonesia Di
Edmonton," provided no substantiation for the claim that "the senior
Obama divorced Dunham according to Sharia law."


On page 44, Corsi writes:


The circumstances of exactly how or why Stanley Ann ended her
marriage with Obama's father, like much else in the narrative, remain
unclear. One version is that Stanley Ann divorced Obama Senior in
1964, when Obama Junior was three years old and Stanley Ann realized
Obama Senior had returned to Africa to rejoin the previously
undisclosed wife he had abandoned in Kenya. The other version is that
Obama Senior, following the prescripts of Islamic sharia law, divorced
Stanley Ann when he returned to Africa in 1963 to begin his work as a
bureaucrat in the Kenyatta government.4


The endnote for Corsi's claim reads as follows:


The first version, that Stanley Ann Dunham Obama divorced Obama
Senior, is the version commonly found. The version that Obama Senior
divorced Stanley Ann under sharia law is told in sources such as the
following: Majalah Bulanan Kumunitas Indonesia Di Edmonton, "Barack
Hussein Obama was Muslim for 31 Years," March 20, 2008, at
http://www.indonesiaedmonton.org/berita/
2008/03/20/barack-hussein-obama-was-muslim-for-31-years/.


In the blog post that Corsi cites, the author asserted:


The senior Obama married a fellow student, eighteen-year old
Shirley Ann (Anna) Dunham of Witchita, Kansas. Dunham was an
anthropology student. Obama Jr. was born on August 4, 1961, in
Honolulu.


Two years later, the senior Obama divorced Dunham according to
Sharia law and returned to Kenya the same year that Kenyatta took
control as the first prime minister of a self-governing Kenya (June
1963).


In Dreams from My Father, Obama quotes his mother stating of Barack
Obama Sr., "I divorced him":


The teapot whistled, and I stamped my envelope. Then, without any
prompting, my mother began to retell an old story, in a distant voice,
as if she were telling it to herself.


"It wasn't your father's fault that he left, you know. I divorced
him. When the two of us got married, your grandparents weren't happy
with the idea. But they said okay -- they probably couldn't have
stopped us anyway, and they eventually came around to the idea that it
was the right thing to do. Then Barack's father -- your grandfather
Hussein wrote Gramps this long, nasty letter saying that he didn't
approve of the marriage. He didn't want the Obama blood sullied by a
white woman, he said. Well, you can imagine how Gramps reacted to
that. And then there was a problem with your father's first wife ...
he had told me they were separated, but it was a village wedding, so
there was no legal document that could show a divorce ..." [Pages
125-126]


The dedication


On Pages 49-50, Corsi falsely claims that Obama did not dedicate
Dreams from My Father to his mother or his grandparents. Corsi writes:


Interestingly, Obama did not dedicate Dreams from My Father to his
mother, or to his father, Barack Senior, or to his Indonesian
stepfather. Missing from the dedication are the grandparents who
raised him in Hawaii, especially during the years his mother abandoned
him to return to Indonesia to be with Lolo [Soetoro, Obama's
stepfather].


In fact, while the 2004 edition of Dreams -- the version Corsi cites
in Obama Nation (Part One, endnote 2, Page 306) -- does not contain a
separate dedication page, on Page xvii, the last page of the book's

introduction, Obama writes:


It is to my family, though -- my mother, my grandparents, my
siblings, stretched across oceans and continents -- that I owe the
deepest gratitude and to whom I dedicated this book. Without their
constant love and support, without their willingness to let me sing
their song and their toleration of the occasional wrong note, I could
never have hoped to finish. If nothing else, I hope that the love and
respect I feel for them shines through on every page [emphasis added].

Obama's sister


Corsi falsely claims that Obama does not mention the birth of his
half-sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng, during the chapter in Dreams in which he
discusses his time living in Indonesia. Corsi writes:


In the midst of the personal drama being played against the
background of this Indonesian turmoil, on August 15, 1970, Obama's
half-sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng, was born to his mother and stepfather.
Obama devotes the entire second chapter of his autobiography to his
time in Indonesia, but remarkably, he makes no reference to Maya's
birth [Page 48].


In fact, on Page 47 of Dreams, in the chapter discussing his time in
Indonesia, Obama writes that "my mother and Lolo would remain cordial
through the birth of my sister, Maya."


Zulfin Adi


Corsi writes that in a March 16, 2007, Los Angeles Times article, "The
newspaper quoted Zulfan Adi, who described himself as one of Obama's
closest childhood friends" during his time in Indonesia. Corsi further
writes:


Adi said neighborhood Muslims worshipped in a nearby house. When
the muezzin sounded the call to prayer, Adi remembered seeing Lolo and
Barry walk together to the makeshift mosque. "His mother often went to
the church," Adi told the Times, "but Barry was a Muslim. I remember
him wearing a sarong" [Page 56].


In fact, as Media Matters has noted, key aspects of the March 16 Los
Angeles Times article were later challenged by the Chicago Tribune,
which reported that Adi said he "was not certain" about his statements
regarding Obama's childhood and that he "only knew Obama for a few
months." Additionally, the Tribune reported that "[i]nterviews with
dozens of former classmates, teachers, neighbors and friends show that
Obama was not a regular practicing Muslim when he was in Indonesia."


Drug use


Corsi falsely claims that Obama "has yet to answer questions"
concerning whether "he stopped using marijuana and cocaine completely
in college, or whether his drug use extended into his law school days

or beyond." Corsi writes:


Still, Obama has yet to answer questions whether he ever dealt
drugs, or if he stopped using marijuana and cocaine completely in
college, or whether his drug usage extended into his law school days
or beyond. Did Obama ever use drugs in his days as a community
organizer in Chicago, or when he was a state senator from Illinois?
How about in the U.S. Senate? If Obama quit using drugs, the public
inquiry certain to occur in a general election campaign for the
presidency will most certainly aim at the when, how and why questions
George W. Bush successfully avoided [Page 77].

In fact, Obama wrote in Dreams that he "stopped getting high" shortly
after moving to New York City to attend Columbia University as an
undergraduate. From Dreams:


When Sadik lost his own lease, we moved in together. And after a
few months of closer scrutiny, he began to realize that the city had
indeed had an effect on me, although not the one he'd expected. I
stopped getting high. I ran three miles a day and fasted on Sundays.
For the first time in years, I applied myself to my studies and
started keeping a journal of daily reflections and very bad poetry.
Whenever Sadik tried to talk me into hitting a bar, I'd beg off with
some tepid excuse, too much work or not enough cash [Page 120].


As Media Matters documented, a July 30 WorldNetDaily.com article about
Obama Nation also claimed that the book "points out" that "Barack
Obama admitted using drugs in his autobiography but never revealed if
or when he stopped."


Posted by: AlexP1 | August 18, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Villarreal...

Only a repub would have a stupid answer to an untrue book. if you disagree with Mr. Obama on merit then that's good but to take a book that has been discredited by people in the know and frankly you are not one of those is ludicrous. Go back and do the research you say you have done because I don't think you did.

Posted by: PJ | August 18, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

The book written by Corsi is the 2008 version of the swift boaters--lies and twisted variations on the truth. It is only meant to smear Obama--throw as much garbage at him and hope some of it sticks. And no doubt it had the blessing of McCain which shows his true colors--this man was smeared in 2000 in a horrible way and he is allowing this to happen to someone else. Shameful! Obama is as American as anyone else. He rose from what was a single parent home to the halls of the Ivy League and achieved success as a lawyer, educator and politician. He has a beautiful family and is living the American dream. White males such as yourself are threatened by people who don't look like you. Well get used to it. A black man will be President and you'll have to deal with it.

Posted by: commentator | August 18, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse

I just watched Dr. Corsi's 8.16.08 appearance on C-SPAN. It was masterful.

As someone who has done a lot of independent research on Obama, I want to say that Dr. Corsi knows precisely what he's talking about as regards Obama. Even on his points of speculation, they are educated ones.

Vast numbers of people are attacking his book without having read a single page. The American people are an intelligent group, as Lincoln and most Presidents knew. They can read the tome for themselves and draw their own conclusions.

That is how confident I am in what Corsi has written: It can stand on its own two feet.

Is everything in the book perfect? Apparently not. But the overwhelming majority of the material is.

Most people know little about Obama. Find a copy of The Obama Nation and learn more. This is the presidency we're talking about here, not Homecoming King. Looking good in bodysurfing pictures is not nearly enough information.

The most devastating thing for Obama, however, in the past few days is the revelation that he is not telling the truth about the Illinois bill mirroring the federal Born-Alive Infants Protection Act. This is going to have dramatic implications for Obama's evaporating election chances, as it should. Here is the link:

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ZTBkYTYzZDNjNDgyMWJmMzMxYzljYjYxNmEwMTdhYWE=

Many people, understandably, want to support Obama. They see him as a symbol, and a charismatic one at that.

Unfortunately, he has not been accurate or forthcoming in a number of parts of his past. He is not nearly the figure he and his handlers have tried to project him as being.

This country will benefit greatly from having its first, qualified President of African-American heritage. That President will not be Barack Obama. And not because anything nefarious happened to him, but because the truth of his duplicity and poor judgment will deteriorate, correctly, his support.

Paul F. Villarreal

Posted by: Paul F. Villarreal | August 18, 2008 7:34 AM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company