Palin Selection Surprised Her Staff, Too

By Michael D. Shear
Reporters weren't the only ones surprised by Sen. John McCain's choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his vice presidential nominee.

Her press secretary was just as clueless.

Bill McAllster, a veteran political reporter who recently became her spokesman, said his home phone in Alaska starting ringing long before dawn after reporters gave up on his Blackberry, which he had turned off.

"I found out at about 5:20 this morning. I thought maybe they got it wrong," he said. "But as the messages piled up it looked like it was more serious."

McAllister said Palin had given some documents to GOP convention officials since she was scheduled to speak at the RNC. But he said he had no idea there was any serious conversations between his boss and McCain.

Palin first met McCain in March, McAllister said, when she was in Washington and requested a meeting with McCain about oil drilling in Alaska. McAllister said Palin later talked to McCain for five minutes by phone last Sunday, while she was at the Alaska state fair.

"She made no mention of the vice presidency at the time," McAllister said.

McAllister called Palin "the most phenomenal figure" he has ever seen. He explained that she is "the most ordinary and extraordinary" person. As an example, he said that when a local news director for a television station retired, she drove herself and her two-month-old baby to the barbecue going away party with no security team.

"She just showed up," he said. "She has a real common touch. At the same time ... she is made of steel when she has to be tough."

He said Palin stood up to the oil industry in her state, campaigning in 2006 for a take it or leave it approach to negotiations with oil companies, something that those companies fiercely opposed.

By Web Politics Editor  |  August 29, 2008; 2:09 PM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Sarah Palin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McCain Picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin
Next: Looking to Wikipedia

Comments

It will be a please and honor to vote this year. I truly believe that Ms. Palin will be a very good Vice-President. I was surprised to hear that Mr. McCain elected to choose her as his second in line. I had not heard very much about Ms. Palin so I did an online search. As I read articles I found myself thinking that it was about time that a real person should be holding a high political office position.

I hope that Ms. Palin continues to go forward with oil drilling in Alaska and the United States. Oil drilling will not resolve the entire problem of oil dependency for the USA, but it may give us time to develop other forms of renewable energy. As of today, I have not heard of any renewable energy source that would not require government substitutes and would recover the initial investment in a timely manner. I believe that if our nation publicly addresses the fact that we are taking the proper steps to become self sufficient, OPEC would reduce the cost of oil.

The article I read which stated that Governor Palin refused the “bridge to no where”; is the type of government official this nation needs. She has taken the oil revenue for Alaska and invested into a natural gas pipeline. When this comes online, it will help reduce our oil dependency. I am hopeful that natural gas will explored as a renewable energy source to power our automobiles.

I will be voting for the McCain/Palin ticket in the “Hope” that our nation finds its way to “Change” in a positive manner. The Hope and Change dialog from the other party does not provide a responsible direction for our country. Words alone do not inspire most people. I am sick of hearing the same words I have heard throughout this election cycle.

Posted by: L. A. Caldero | September 2, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone in their right mind truly believe that this woman is going to be able to stand up to Vladimir Putin or other world leaders when they tell her to shove it?

Anyone who seriously believes that is clearly so biased that they are beyond any discussion and in need of treatment.

Posted by: Brent | August 30, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to remember, maybe one of you can help me here.
What was it they said about
Harry S. Truman as VP. to FDR?
When HST, was only a poor drit farmer. A man who failed at almost everything he tried to do before he went to Washington.
A heart beat from greatness.
Well, something like that.

Posted by: Icepick | August 30, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I am one of the millions of young people of all races ( I happen to be white) who supports Obama because he is brilliant and capable. Too many whites can only see through a dominator lens, meaning they fear if someone of another race leads our country, that race will dominate. Sorry folks, but it's time to grow up.

Posted by: Michelle Cross | August 30, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

NObama threatens the Media

Obama not only aired a response ad to the spot linking him to William Ayers, but he sought to block stations the commercial by warning station managers and asking the Justice Department to intervene. The campaign also planned to compel advertisers to pressure stations that continue to air the anti-Obama commercial. Ref. http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D92PL7400&show_article=1

NObama - You cannot hide your past and who you are.

We know for fact you personally befriended Ayres and even worked for him

Lets not forget your refusal to wear an American flag on your lapel.

Refusal to cross your heart during the pledge of allegiance

the church of HATE you hand picked and attended for 20 years. No, no, no, no, no, it's God Damn America.

In summary: NObama is proof how low the democratic party has degenerated to.

NObama...

Your Chickenssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Are Coming Hommmmmmmmmmmmmmmme

To Rooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooost

Chevy - Educated Redneck

I'm sorry DEMS - I just can't stop posting this.

This is proof enough for me that the NObama's don't have a prayer.

McCain gains during DEM Convention.

LOL - This has never happened before.

The washingtonCompost personnel must be fuming their plan to aid Nobama isn’t working.

Gallup Daily: No Bounce for Obama in Post-Biden Tracking McCain creeps ahead, 46% to 44%

LOL LOL LOL

Chevy - Educated Redneck

Posted by: Chevy | August 30, 2008 1:05 AM | Report abuse

My clock radio went off this morning with news about McCain's selection for VP. At first, I thought I was having a weird dream. Nope, it's McCain that's having the weird dream thinking this stunt might work. This is going to be an interesting 2 months.

Posted by: ArizonaBoy | August 30, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Call Obama staffers and demand why he is friends with William Ayers.

866-675-2008 (Option 6) or 202-224-2854

NObama why are you friends with an American Terrorist?

Why are you friends with a White, Jew, America-hating preacher?

I want some answers

Chevy

Posted by: Chevy | August 30, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

To the White Race

My Grandmother is a “typical White Person” Barry Hussein Nobama 3/21/2008.

Like it or not, that is a RACIST remark against the White race by Barry NoBama.

Please explain to me how you can support this racist after he “SPIT” in your face?

I really do need to understand how you can support someone who just hucked a luggi at your entire family.

Why isn’t the Washington post demanding he clarify his racist remark?

Chevy – Educated Redneck

Posted by: Chevy | August 30, 2008 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Porky Pig (NoBama) Running for President

What's this?

Ba-dee, ba-dee, ba-dee, ah, dah, um ya know um, um ah, uh, etc.

Hussein NObama trying to explain himself to questions he doesn't have a clue about.

When he does that, there's your sign, he's just making crap up as he goes along.

Chevy - ba-dee, ba-dee, ba-dee, Dat be all folks!

Posted by: Chevy | August 30, 2008 1:00 AM | Report abuse

This is so much better than SNL. Hopefully Kristen Wiig.

Posted by: Illinois | August 30, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

McCain's pick in nothing more than a gimmick, period.

Posted by: metropcs | August 29, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

The way this whole thing is unfolding, by next election (2012) we will be voting for crossing guard monitors.

Posted by: what the ??? | August 29, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Palins people are surprised? How about the other frontrunners' staffs?

Posted by: Gary P. | August 29, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Palin is a good VP choice, she is fresh, common, hard working, tough and fighting for the good of the ordinary US citizen .

Good luck, Sarah Palin, let the American public know more about you, sell yourself , I and my family have trust and confidence in you and McCain.

Posted by: tyson1 | August 29, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

This choice of vice presidential candidate shows that the Republican party cares nothing for its electorate.

Posted by: Kathy Michael | August 29, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

The ultra right is touting Palin's pro-life cred in following through with her pregnancy with a Down Syndrome baby. Yet, I wonder: she is now 44 years old. If she was having sex without contraception, then the likelihood of conceiving a Down Syndrome baby was pretty good, especially because she was very fertile, given her four previous pregnancies.

So, it's fine if that is what she wants to do, and I don't criticize her for it. But I also don't give her any extra points. Playing devil's advocate, you could even say it was irresponsible to get pregnant at such an advanced age, especially with her other responsibilities.

It's nearly certain that if she were a Democrat, the right would crucify her for being a working woman who leaves her kids, especially one with special needs.

Posted by: Judgment | August 29, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Nobody is enforcing this blog´s "posting standars". What a shame. Thus you have "Barack Obama's Conscience" being able to post this:

Who cares if the woman are looking on saying, "Uh, she has more to offer than Obama does". The bi*ches don't matter. Nobody's listening to them.

Not a problem. They'll shut up and get on board. Jest watch.

What else are they gonna do, vote for old McCain when I'm alive? I'm The One.

Just ignore the bi*ches like I did.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

OK getting off topic here a bit:

observer wrote, "uhhh for those of you making comments on the creationist myth...hate to tell you this but evolutionism is a theory and neither of the views can be proven..."

Observer, yes, evolution is a theory. So is our understanding of electricity, but we use it every day. There is massive and overwhelming evidence for evolution. It is the basis of all modern biological science. Nothing can be "proven" in an absolute sense, but the theory of evolution can be tested. The theory of creationism cannot be tested. It is a matter of faith.

Science is based on evidence, and therefore nothing in science is ever proven beyond any doubt. There can always be new evidence. Not necessarily so with faith.

Maybe evolution is an inaccurate theory, and maybe creationism is correct, but the mistake is asserting that they are the same kind of idea.

Posted by: Mezmo | August 29, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

When most people use the word theory, they really mean hypothesis. The "theory" of evolution is really an undeniable law of nature. You can decide if it was God that made it so, but you can not deny it. It has been proven many times over. Modern food, drugs and materials all owe their existance to evolution. It is only a debate amonst those that have not studied science (ie. most Americans)

Posted by: Darwin56 | August 29, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

On this inexperience issue, and the idea that it's somehow now a draw:
Mayor of a town of 9000 and 20-month gov of a state(pop 600k), with a legislature that meets 90 days a year, where every third job is a government job, where everyone drinks from the government teat . . .
is the same as 8 years in the Illinois (pop 13m) senate and four years in the US Senate?

Posted by: Michael | August 29, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I would also like to point out...whether you are for or against Palin, I have noticed the sexist comments about her and toward women in general. Hardly intelligent. Reminds me of grade school.

Posted by: observer | August 29, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

This is a joke right? I think I finally understand what McCain was talking about when he kept harpin' about "lack of experience". He selected the only person less qualified than Rudy Guiliani. It's insulting that the mccain camp thinks that selecting this token woman as a vp candidate would lure hillary voters. Obama's right. McCain just doesn't get it.

Posted by: JB | August 29, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Don't write Sarah Palin off too quickly just because she's from Alaska and she's not a Washington insider. The U.S. Congress, where Obama, Biden, and McCain all hail from, has approval ratings in the single digits. Palin's approval ratings are above 80%. She has character, toughness and grit, I personally agree with her stances on most every issue.

And theres's this to consider: sure, A McCain-Palin ticket can't argue that an Obama-Biden ticket is too inexperienced, but you have to say this issue is now basically a draw. On the other hand it just got a lot tougher for the Democrats to argue that a McCain administration will be just another four years of Bush-Cheney. This is a much savvier pick than people are giving McCain credit for. Palin's stock will rise very quickly once she hits the spotlight.

Posted by: Smokey | August 29, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

for any hillary supporter who keeps whining that they will now be voting for john mccain: you better hope to hell that your teenage daughter never ever gets raped because ms. palin has stated that she would support banning abortions under EVERY instance. PUMA, Hillary would be so proud!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

McCain thinks that just any woman can be VP? How patronizing of you, John.

Posted by: sueb | August 29, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

One thing's for sure- Michelle can't make a comment about THIS woman not keeping her man happy at home!

Posted by: sara | August 29, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

up until this morning, i did not hear a peep out of any republican about "executive experience". now that McCain's picked the governor, it's all about executive experience?

give me a break.

because she's from Alaska, now it's all about "change"? according to you guys, "change" was just fluff that came from obama.

I'm not surprise, we attacked Iraq cause of WMD...

Posted by: ndl | August 29, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me, but giving a speech in Germany is NOT foreign policy experience. We don't want someone who is full of TALK. We want ACTION! And this woman has shown us she isn't afraid to take action. She's an amazing woman and to dis her because she's a woman is just as inappropriate as not liking Obama because he's black. Get over it!!!!

Posted by: sara bellum | August 29, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

"QUAYLE WITH A PONYTAIL." HILARIOUS!!!

Posted by: lynn's therapist | August 29, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Aside from all of the obvious and previously stated reasons Palin is not qualified to be VP, especially for a 72-year old president, her acceptance of the job really makes me question *her* judgment.

Posted by: Kristin2 | August 29, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

She may be a very good person and a potentially good leader but you have to question the judgment of Mr McCain for selecting someone who will be one heartbeat away from the presidency after meeting with them twice. I had to interview with 10 different people for a job at an insurance company and I still did not get the job.

Posted by: Curt | August 29, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Can you imagine the transition? ... Cheney training her for the job if they - angels and ministers of mercy, defend us! - actually won the election!!! :-) :-)

Posted by: MCE | August 29, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow. McCain just lost my vote.

Democratic ticket in '08.
Hillary in 2012.

Posted by: Sad | August 29, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Is this a joke?

While Obama was taking a public stand against the invasion of Iraq, Palin was attending town council meetings.

I can't believe McCain is ramming this down the party's throat; making every Republican eat their words about Obama's supposed "lack of experience." It's almost like McCain is laughing at the party and the country.

Today I heard Weekly Standard contributor Matthew Continetti say on the Diane Rehm Show, "Let's not forget that this is a former beauty queen with a definite sense of style. I think America is going to like this pick."

Wow. And this is the same group of people who lumped Obama in with Paris Hilton?

Posted by: tjshire | August 29, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I will not say anything against Palin due to the fact I don't know enough about her. What I will say to the people writing that Obama has less experience than her to remember that Obama served in the Illinois House for 8 years before becoming a Senator. Also, the reason I'm voting for Obama,he's an expert in Constitutional Law. We need to get back to what makes us truly great and that's our Laws. Before they were mangled by the repubs.

Posted by: jime | August 29, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Sarah, being under-qualified, you must now "over-state," or "exaggerate" your experience to survive.

Call me if you need me. I am still in Bosnia.

Love,

The Sniper.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I respect her. She's done well in her own right in a short amount of time and that does she that she's a reformer. It's nice to see a new face of Republicans in Gov. Palin. However, I don't agree with her on any of the issues. Therefore, I'm not going to vote for her. As a Clinton supporter, if they were trying to get my vote just cause she's a woman, they had me wrong.

I just registered to vote off of Senator Obama's website and it literally took me 2 minutes. He has managed this campaign extraordinarily well and has engaged millions of people who previously lost hope on this nations government. He has amazing advisers such as Madeline Albright and others who have done great things for our country. He respects Hilary voters and mentioned her and her historic run in the first sentence of his acceptance speech.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow. McCain just lost my vote.

Democratic ticket in '08.
Hillary in 2012.

Posted by: Sad | August 29, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

As goes Alaska, so goes Idaho? Truly a goofball hail mary play. Dan Quayle in drag. First bad decision as an executive for McSame, and not a confidence builder. I agree with whoever said "Harriet Myers moment". Yup, that's what it is. Nice woman, but not remotely qualified to step into the Presidency on a moment's notice.

Posted by: AnotherJeff | August 29, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Christina wrote that she will shift her vote to McCain as he has recognized that a smart, tough woman can be President.

No doubt.

But, as Michalez wrote here, "Palin is a hardcore "Seven Days" Creationist who has pushed for the Christian Creation Myth to be taught alongside Evolution in Biology classes."

This election is a war of which century this nation will live in-- 21st century or 17th century....

Posted by: Upwards | August 29, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

QUOTATION FROM YOUTUBE

GOV. SARAH PALIN ON THE WOOTEN SCANDAL AND VP:

QUESTIONER:

You have a legion of fans who want you to become Senator McCain's Vice Presidential Candidate. In fact on the world's largest PAY TO PLAY PREDICTION MARKET BETTING PARLOR called ENTRATE you are in third place with a twenty percent support probability behind former governors Romney and present governor of Minnesota Nic Pawlenty.

Is this police flap state investigation gonna disqualify you from becoming Senator McCain's vice presidential candidate?

ANSWER SARAH PALIN:

Well it shouldn't disqualify me from anything including progressing the state's agenda here towards more energy production so we can tribute more to the US. Nor should it dismay [?] any kind of agenda progress in any arena. Because again: I haven't done anything wrong and through the investigation of our lawmakers who are kind of looking at me as a target. We invite those questions so we can truthfully answer the questions.

PALIN: BUT ASKED FOR THAT VP-TALK ALL THE TIME I TELL YOU, I STILL CAN'T ANSWER THAT QUESTION UNTILL SOMEONE ANSWERS FOR ME: WHAT IS IT EXACTLY THAT THE V.P. DOES EVERY DAY?

I am used to be very productive and workin real hard in this

Posted by: Hegelfan | August 29, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey, if my boss was about to be indicted for abuse of power, and lack of ethics because she fired the police chief who wouldn't fire her sister's ex husband I'd be suprised, too.

Wouldn't you be?

Its kinda unbelievable that McCain would pick an unendicted criminal currently under investigation for abuse of power for VP!

I bet her staff were all totally suprised!

Posted by: JBE | August 29, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh My God. The old fart has flipped out. This women is barely one cut above being head of the local PTA. I mean this is a woman not even seasoned by the first 20 months of being governor of one of the tiniest populated states in the country. She makes Dan Quayle look like Nostradamus.And even with only 20 months in office, she is being investigated for improper use of her authority as governor to settle a personal score for her sister in a messy divorce.

Posted by: majorteddy | August 29, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Senator McCain sure has a hard on for former beauty contestants!

Posted by: Fly Boy | August 29, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

republicans are an embarrassment to the human race. the scale of the washington post's fellow neocon bloggers immediate defense of palin as exactly what the republicans need demonstrates the continued, blind faith in their parties infinite righteousness. rural areas, suburbs, and religious slavery embody the most shallow, one dimensional, ignorant, feeble personalities...especially if they are white males.

Posted by: thomas | August 29, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I have 2 years of real experience...if John McCain dies (72 years old), do you really want me to be President?

Posted by: Sarah Palin | August 29, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Michael, if this is true this is the greatest insult to the Presidency, the country and even to John McCain. Please look into this I don't want to think that someone so close to the Presidency (McCain) could be so cavalier on such an important decision.

Posted by: Stav | August 29, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Well it is evident that Ms. Palin exhibits the needed EXPERIENCE it takes in order to misuse her government office.

She offer’s the EXPERIENCE, knowledge, skills and abilities needed to oversea Justice Dept. affairs.

She’s has just what we need.

Posted by: Lame McSame | August 29, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

With all due respect to Gov. Palin, who seems like a very likable and decent person, this is John McCain's "Harriet Miers moment."

As someone who will be voting Democratic this fall, I'm quite happy with McCain's pick.

My sympathies to Gov. Palin. Like Ms. Miers, it's likely that her inexperience and unsuitability for such a high office are going to be trumpeted endlessly. On the bright side, it'll all be over in two months and she can return to Alaska's peace and solitude after doing her duty for her party.

Posted by: whatmeregister | August 29, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jime | August 29, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, Chris Matthews is already doing it!

Says she'd be clueless in office, influenced by a bunch of ideologues like Bush is!

This is what the Clinton supporters were saying about me all primary season, when we said experience wasn't as important as personality and popularity.

Oh yeah, I can feel the women getting mad now.

That Chris Matthews, my man-crush homie.

Posted by: Barack Obama's Conscience | August 29, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I have to give it to my boy “McPimp”, this was a “gangster move”.

Go on player -

Posted by: "Lame McSame" | August 29, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

"Why would any woman who supported Hillary start supporting Palin?"

Palin's got more than I do, but then again Hillary Clinton had A LOT more than I did, and that dint matter nohow anyways.

Posted by: Barack Obama's Conscience | August 29, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Jeff
You are not a Republican and I doubt that you ever were. No Republican could ever vote for a Marxist, racist, baby killing, terrorist loving lier!

Posted by: Bill | August 29, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

When you watch the Republican convention, count the number of female and minority faces. You'll see that they prefer to keep the women out of it, and have not cultivated female leaders. This was a desperate, expedient move. Classic tokenism. Any PUMAs should be ashamed to hand the next Supreme Court nominees, judicial appointments, cabinet posts, and policy jobs to people who are sexist and racist and have cut or vetoed benefits for most of our population. The wealth is not trickling down, it is going into yachts and extra houses, which stand empty. Ask Palin about her child care options, the pay gap, support for sex education to prevent pregancy, and letting women go into leadership positions.

Posted by: jeffruta | August 29, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Why would any woman who supported Hillary start supporting Palin? Does that mean they paid no attention to the issues and supported Hillary ONLY to get a woman in the white house...or down the street? Isn't that exactly what Mondale counted on by choosing farraro and get destroyed because--surprise!--women vote on the issues just like men do? This smacks of the type of desperate reactionary miscalculation you'd expect. Sort of like occupying Iraq to get at a terrorist network that operates in 80 countries.

Posted by: Rob, Virginia | August 29, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Man they're stupid over there at MSNBC:

"He proved that he was ready to be commander in chief from day one because when he walked out onto that (greek) stage, he LOOKED presidential."

Ha! Ha!

What does "Hardball with Chis Matthews" stand for?

He's got a Hard** for me! That's what it means.

Ha! Ha!

It's not even difficult to play them...

Posted by: Barack Obama's Conscience | August 29, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh YEAH! It's already happening.

All the boys in the media and "analysts" spouting off about what a lightweight she is and laughing about how ridiculous it is to imagine her a "heartbeat away".

We'll ridicule, belittle and smash this girly-girl the way we did Hillary Clinton! Ha Ha! Write mainstream media articles about her cleavage, clothes and thighs, like we did Hillary.

Not a problem. They'll shut up and get on board. Jest watch.

What else are they gonna do, vote for old McCain when I'm alive? I'm The One.

Just ignore the bi*ches like I did.

Posted by: Barack Obama's Conscience | August 29, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Remember how Karl Rove slammed Tim Kaine when his name was being bandied about as a possible running mate for Barack Obama?

"Will all due respect again to Governor Kaine, he's been a governor for three years," Rove told Bob Schieffer. "He's been able but undistinguished. I don't think people could really name a big, important thing that he's done."

Rove even dragged Richmond into his sights. "[Kaine] was mayor of the 105th largest city in America," Rove said. "And again, with all due respect to Richmond, Virginia, it's smaller than Chula Vista, California; Aurora, Colorado; Mesa, or Gilbert, Arizona; North Las Vegas, or Henderson, Nevada. It's not a big town."

So, is Karl Rove going to be consistent and follow up with a statement like this about Sarah Palin? No? Well, then, let me help him out:

"Will all due respect again to Governor Palin, she's been a governor for less than two years," Rove told Bob Schieffer. "She's been able but undistinguished. I don't think people could really name a big, important thing that she's done."

Rove even dragged Wasilla, Alaska into his sights. "[Palin] was mayor of a town with a population of just 6,715 people," Rove said. "And again, with all due respect to Wasilla, it's just one-thirtieth the size of Richmond, Virginia, which has a population of 200,000. Wasilla is not a big town."

By the way, the population of Virginia is 7.7 million. The population of Alaska is 683,478, about 9% the population of Virginia. So, does that make Sarah Palin just 9% as qualified for VP as Tim Kaine in Karl Rove's eyes?

Posted by: Alexandrian | August 29, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

This space left intentionally blank.

Posted by: John McCain's Conscience | August 29, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Man, if I didn't hate women so much I could've picked Hillary...

Posted by: Barack Obama's Conscience | August 29, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I see the Nob supporters squirming like rats, which they are. They are trapped. For months on, these rats trash talked HRC, looked on in glee as their hero Nob buried HRC under a pile of sex and race cards, and stole the nomination by sidelining MI and FL, and with the help of his prostitute media pals.

Now with the Palin pick, it is ame, set and match Mac. As it was, only half of HRC supporters were in favor of Nob; with this, there is a stronger incentive to outright vote Mac.

It is comeuppance, gutter rats. You scum thought it was fun to trash Bill C as racist, and as Nob compared him to Nixon. Now the Nob is toast.

Posted by: intcamd1 | August 29, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

""Palin: "Thank god I'm a woman!""""""""

Obama: "Thank God I pick a dark gene!"

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Ah, now we understand what McCain really ment when he talked about "Experience"....More GOP BS!

GOP should stick to what it does best - bend over in the bathroom and steal each others wallets.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, John McCain's VP:

(1) is hotter than me

(2) has a better smile and personality than me

(3) has a higher popularity in her state than me

(4) gives a great damn speech

(5) has mayor of a small town against my "community organizer"

(6) has council member, mayor and governor against my resume

(7) has a more adorable kid story than I do

(8) wasn't created by a drunken, polygamist, already-married father who then abandoned her teenaged mother

(9) got ahead with hard work and achievement instead of affirmative action and racial preferences

(10) has an actual political philosphy and approach that is distinctly hers

(11) has a record of action that she can point to, to define her leadership priorities and character
(12) I spent one year as a senator and have been running for president since
(13) She spent one year as governor before being asked to be VP
(14) man! she's even a better basketball player than me!

Posted by: Barack Obama's Conscience | August 29, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, John McCain's VP:
(1) is hotter than me
(2) has a better smile and personality than me
(3) has a higher popularity in her state than me
(4) gives a great damn speech
(5) has mayor of a small town against my "community organizer"
(6) has council member, mayor and governor against my resume
(7) has a more adorable kid story than I do
(10) has an actual political philosphy and approach that is distinctly hers
(12) I spent one year as a senator and have been running for president since
(13) She spent one year as governor before being asked to be VP
(14) man! she's even a better basketball player than me!

Posted by: Barack Obama's Conscience | August 29, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

"""""""""""""""
“Alaska Governor Sarah Palin has been discussed as a VP choice for John McCain for a while now, and just this Sunday the two had a rather interesting meeting. Not so much interesting because McCain and Palin are at odds over drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge (Palin is for it, McCain is against it), but because Palin says that she’d like to make her state less dependent on federal money.”

"""""""""

Biden said, you are not ready now but you can be ready (after another 20 years of church education?)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

IF this woman is "qualified", then I'm "qualified" to be the archbishop of the diocese.

Posted by: Tim | August 29, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

This is one Hillary supporter who will be voting McCain/Palin in November.

Thank you, John McCain - for FINALLY recognizing that a smart, tough woman is fully capable of being the President of the United States of America.

Posted by: Christina | August 29, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

^^^ What if Obama's Conscience Spoke at the Same Time He Did? ^^^
^^^ Annotated transcript of His Nomination Acceptance Speech ^^^

"Four years ago, I stood before you and told you my story -- of the brief union between a young man from Kenya and a young woman from Kansas who weren't well-off or well-known, but shared a belief that in America, their son could achieve whatever he put his mind to."

--Four years ago, I laid a big one on you out of my fictionalized life story that I made about my drunken, polygamist, already-married Kenyan father who knocked up my then-17-year-old mother and then abandoned us.

"It is that promise that has always set this country apart -- that through hard work and sacrifice, each of us can pursue our individual dreams but still come together as one American family, to ensure that the next generation can pursue their dreams as well."

--And where people like me can get ahead on racial preference and affirmative action, so that we advance without ever actually doing anything resembling hard work and sacrifice like you people!

"It is why I stand here tonight. Because for 232 years, at each moment when that promise was in jeopardy, ordinary men and women -- students and soldiers, farmers and teachers, nurses and janitors -- found the courage to keep it alive."

--And support my undeserved advancement and also pay for my racial preference scholarships and all the gravy train that has come my way over the years! The donations of millions of african american supporters -- students and soldiers, farmers and teachers, nurses and janitors -- paid my campaign the $6 million that it cost to move my nominating night event from the Pepsi arena to Invesco field for my Greco-Roman crowning!

"We meet at one of those defining moments -- a moment when our nation is at war, our economy is in turmoil, and the American promise has been threatened once more."

--And the Democratic party is nominating a president with no experience or qualifications that might make him a credible executive!! I couldn't get hired to run a factory!! Ha Ha!

"Tonight, more Americans are out of work and more are working harder for less. More of you have lost your homes and more are watching your home values plummet. More of you have cars you can't afford to drive, credit card bills you can't afford to pay and tuition that is beyond your reach"

--And yet you have sent $400 million to my presidential campaign! That I keep spending on helping the voters get to know me better! As if that's the problem! What suckers!

*************************
In David Mendell's 2007 biography, Obama, it was reported that Obama was a B student whose grades slipped so far below a B at High School that in his final year his grandmother feared he would not get into a university. The chapter ends with him being accepted into Occidental on a full scholarship.

The NYT has published a letter written by Obama in 1990, that discusses his own experiences with affirmative action.

(http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/us/politics/03affirmative.html?_r=2&em=&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin)

Mr. Obama quote: “[I] undoubtedly benefited from affirmative action” in [my] own academic career.

Posted by: Barack Obama's Conscience | August 29, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Drill! Drill! Drill!

Posted by: Joe | August 29, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Obama spent his whole Senate career running for president while Palin has spent her short term as Governor getting rid of corruption in Alaska politics.

Hillary said it best: Obama makes speeches. That's it. That's all he does. Speeches.

*yawn*

Posted by: w3bgrrl | August 29, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Palin is a fundamentalist who believes Creationism should be taught in parallel with Evolution in Biology classes.

Posted by: Mikeza Hack | August 29, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Palin recently asked a reporter: "What does the vice president do anyway?" Yup, she's qualified.

Posted by: PS | August 29, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Who's the empty (pant)suit celebrity now? Palin is the Clarence Thomas equivalent of a VP candidate. You may think you're getting something new and different, but she's really just an old, conservative, white man in drag. Definitely NOT the change we need.

Posted by: Scrapster | August 29, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

After criticizing Obama for alleged inexperience, McCain chooses Sarah Palin as his running mate? She's a nice enough lady, I guess. But she's not even remotely qualified.

Posted by: Tom in California | August 29, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

The first evidence of a presidential candidate's leadership and judgement is who they pick for VP ... McCain 10, Obama 0 ... you can't get more outside of Washington than Alaska ... and Biden is a career-politician-Washington-insider for 36 years!
McCain '08
Hillary 2012!!

Posted by: Cassandra Washington | August 29, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Palin: "Thank god I'm a woman!"

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that everyone questions Obama's character. I have a question. What kind of "character" does a man have who leaves his wife who waited while he was a prisoner when she gets sick for a 18 year younger heiress? Must be in the genes for the Republican "family values" gang. Newt Gingrich gave his first wife her walking papers while she was under anesthesia after cancer surgery, and then has a mistress who became his third wife while he was trying to impeach Clinton. My favorite though is Rudy Guliani. He loved family so much that he brought the girlfriend and current wife into the mayor's mansion before the first wife and kids left. That my friends is no small trick and requires a lot of talent not to mention chutzpah. Save the Republican moral nonsense for someone else.

Posted by: Brooks | August 29, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

The arguments so far are somewhat predictable, about what the McCain campaign probably expected. I'll side with the right wing comments slightly, lack of experience is lack of experience. You can't just throw that out there without catching the democratic pick in the crossfire.

I will say this, though. Obama has been out there for over a year combating his lack of experience on the campaign trail and finding new ways to show his wisdom under pressure. He has organized a campaign and controlled his message in a way that shows real leadership. He would never have gotten this far without showing some real skill, and he has been talking about and debating his ideas on foreign and domestic policy enough to convince a slight majority of all Americans he is ready for the job.

We can hold Sarah Palin up to the same test, but it's not a free ride. She needs to show she is ready to lead like anybody else that doesn't have a huge resume to rely on. And that's a fair request.

Posted by: Grimmix | August 29, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Two points:

How can McCain hammer Obama on how little experience he has, but choose a running mate with a very light resume? It's craven hypocrisy, in my opinion.

McCain is old. He'll be 72 soon. You can see the strain that a term of the Presidency has on people. Look at photos of how Bush has aged, how Clinton aged. If McCain dies in office, is Palin the one you want to be running the country? Honestly?

Posted by: ThingsThatShine | August 29, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

And McCain concedes the election with an Alaska sized blunder. She's been governor of a state with a population smaller than Cincinatti for 19 months. She studied journalism in Idaho, so maybe she can write press releases I suppose...

Posted by: WTF | August 29, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

And she's not a liar like Biden..let's not forget Biden's disgraceful shameful exit from the 1988 race.

McCain has all the washington experience and foreign policy experience the ticket needs. She's a reformer and maverick like McCain and well versed on the energy crisis. Obama says time to turn the page and selects good ole boy insider Biden.

McCain shows much better judgment with his choice than Obama. The VP choice must have been above Obama's pay grade.

Posted by: DeminFla23 | August 29, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

How is Palin going to govern with McCain? How are they going to run a coordinated campaign? McCain has a close circle of campaigning buddies (it's a boy's club) with whom he feels comfortable and I don't see Palin or her people (like this press secretary?) being integrated into McCain's campaign.

Well done as a surprise, but problematic as a campaign move. Is she going to be his "attack dog"? I don't think so.

Posted by: mruth | August 29, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

As a Hillary supporter I can now vote for McCain knowing I am helping to shatter that glass ceiling the democrats and Obama dismissed. Obama has less experience than Palin yet he's top of the ticket. She makes more decisions in a week than he does in a year as a junior senator. I'm pro-choice, but I respect the CHOICE someone else might make to have a different opinion. That doesn't mean she isn't a feminist and working mother and all around outstanding female candidate. What a rock star choice!

Democrat for McCain in Florida

Posted by: DeminFla23 | August 29, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Lets see....mayor of a little town and then governor for about two years....and, goes hunting Moose. Now there are some qualifications if I ever heard them.

Speaks before a crowd barely enough to fill a high school gym, yet "the crowd is thunderous" claims Rush Limbaugh. Obama speaks too about 95000 last night and that is nothing special. Speaks before 200,000 Germans and that is irrelevant even though George Bush had to hide in his hotel room most of his 8 years when he traveled abroad.

Just depends on what your opinion is. That's all.

Posted by: Mark | August 29, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WTF | August 29, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Obama, made a major political mistake on not getting Hillary and uniting the whole democratic party. Period!

McCain, helped his campaign by picking another maverick and female who can stand up to anyone. A new inspiring pick the republicans need. She has 80 percent approval in Alaska.

Obama is a smart inspiring speaker, but Palin's actions speak louder than political words. She has fought corruption in both parties in Alaska. When she speaks she says it like it is, unlike polished career politicians. Some people can talk the talk, but Palin can walk the walk.

Now the race is exciting! history will be made period with either Obama or McCain!

Posted by: edabelia | August 29, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edabelia | August 29, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Michaelza Hack | August 29, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Come on guys, why would you reject McCain's choice of VP for lack of experience and then choose Obama who has no experience?
Traditionally, VP's have almost no significant role to play unless something happens to the President. They are always people that are not thought to have a chance of winning the race for president on their own.
I can understand the frustration and even anger that so many people have over the Iraq war and the economy, but electing Obama will do nothing but make a bad situation worse. Obama will be controlled by someone else; he doesn't have the strength to resist. The things he promises are ridiculous. For example, he claims he will provide insurance for every single person in the US and that he will reduce the rates for those who are already insured. How could he possibly do that? The people who are already insured will be the ones paying for some of the people who can't get insurance on their own. I agree that it would be ideal for everyone to be insured and I would like to see that happen. Just don't tell me it will reduce my insurance premiums.
Anyone who has ever seen Obama speak without a written and practiced speech must realize that he has difficulty speaking and answers nothing while rambling on as though to confuse people. Obama has good speech writers for the most part; at least they have him saying what the people want to believe. Obama is very good at giving these speeches. Have you forgotten Bill Clinton? He made wonderful speeches that most anyone would agree with if they felt he was sincere and could deliver on his promises. Obama is no different in that respect.
How can Americans elect a President who won't salute the flag, stand up for the National Anthem, or even wear a flag pin? What does that tell our enemies and those critical of us? One thing seems certain. If Obama is elected there won't be any reason for other nations to be jealous of our position in the world.
Why can't otherwise seemingly intelligent people see that Obama will play right into the hands of the Muslims? It's probably inevitable that the world will one day be ruled by Muslims, but why give it a head start with Obama. If the American people are this stupid, maybe they are not smart enough to live in a democracy. Every year our schools deliver less educated students into the real world. Is this the fault of Bush, McCain, or the Republican party? No, it is the fault of a society that lives on excuses and tells our young people that they aren't responsible for anything. Many of these same young people will vote for Obama and not hold him responsible for anything. Opera and her followers will vote for him because he is black, not because they think he is the best candidate. Opera has never publically supported a canidate before, because there has never been a black candidate before Obama. If Colin Powell had run for President, I think both white and black people would have voted for him because of who he is, not because of his race. I know I would. I would aso have liked to see Condi Rice on the ticket for VP, but perhaps she is too valuable where she is or she is a person who will one day have a chance of winning the presidency on her own. I am not against Obama because of his race but because of who he is. McCain has proven himself to be a strong man of honor and he has my vote. May God help us if he doesn't have enough votes to win this election.

Posted by: Lori | August 29, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

But Palin met McCain in February 08 (or does McAllster mean March 07?

Feb 25, 2008

Posted by: Arun | August 29, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I have a number of friends in Alaska and have visited there. What Palin's press secretary fails to mention is that *all* Alaska politicians have the "common touch" that he describes -- or at least that's the way my friends describe the place. (I used to hear similar comments about Tony Knowles, a former Democratic governor of Alaska.) Let's see how this former beauty queen and TV journalist behaves when she starts hanging out with The Moneyed Few who are big-ticket Republican supporters.

Posted by: DMS | August 29, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

For all you "geniuses" out there that criticize Palin's experience, I would like to remind you of one thing... Just between you and I---it's not Obama vs. Palin, it's Obama vs. McCain... Just incase you forgot, Obama has been a US Senator for 3 years---2.5 of those years have been campaigning for the Throne, errrr I mean the Presidency... She's actually held a REAL job, unlike Obama or Biden!!!!

Posted by: Delaware Vol | August 29, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Shamik - Give the 35 years of Hillary's service a break. Just like Obama, all they talk about are themselves and embellishment of the truth to make themselves look bigger and better than their real record are.
Note the tone in Gov. Palin's speech about serving. She has more executive experience in the last two years than either Obama or Biden combined.

Posted by: Walt | August 29, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

This is the first 'executive' decision that McCain made. Is this an example of his judgment? Lost his bearings for sure....Somebody tell this guy to replace her with Romney or Hutchinson before its too late..

Posted by: Sam | August 29, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Once Republican – Not Anymore! My vote goes to Obama/Biden

Hardcore Republicans = Operation Chaos (Solid promise for more chaos in Washington and in the world) (Lack of experience by a person who could become president if McCain is elected. In Washington, Hockey knowledge doesn’t go very far!)

Core Republicans, some Independents and Democrats = Operation Restoration of the Republican Party (Restore the values of the Republican Party, and free the country for government control)

(Bob Barr, Republican for President of the Libertarian Party - Liberty for America, or Third Party Republican Ron Paul)

Some states will allow public votes for Barr and Ron Paul on ballots; other states will require write-in votes. Hard-core Republicans should consider Bob Barr or Ron Paul!

Democrats, some Independents and Republicans = Operation Unity of American (Reclaim America from Special Interest Groups, and restore respect here at home and around the world, restore jobs, science and technology, restore independence from China and countries robbing at the pumps, restore faith in our government and hope for our children)

Posted by: Mad as a Hornet | August 29, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

This move is brilliant!!!!!!

Obama balloon is busted and a true executive who knows how to call BS when she sees it. What a move by McCain. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!!!!!

67 days and the threat of communism is no more. As a life long republican and NO FAN of McCain, he just won my vote!!!

Posted by: Dave | August 29, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Roe vs wade will never be overturned, Just dems trying to scare on the fencers.

Posted by: Stan | August 29, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Once the novelty of McCain's surprise announcement wears off, many will come to realize what a terrible mistake, what a foolish and shortsighted gamble it was to choose Palin.
I used to think McCain was a straight-shooting politician who said it like it was. I've come to realize he is a desperate shadow of his former self. Talk about making poor political decisions for all the wrong reasons. I sit hear deathly afraid that a former mayor and beauty pageant winner with no national experience is just a heartbeat from becoming the leader of the most powerful nation in the world. Bad choice and one McCain will live to regret.

Posted by: Segamil | August 29, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

No foreign policy experience?

She is governor of a state that borders Canada and Russia.

Obama is from a state that borders Iowa and Kentucky.

Posted by: Midnightrain | August 29, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I was really down today after listening to Obama's speech this morning.

I am pumped up with Gov. Palin, as a Mayor of a 6500 population town, has more leadership/managment experience than the empty suit of Obama.

Posted by: Walt | August 29, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"Interesting to hear the obamites talk about what qualifications Palin has to be "a heart beat away from the Presidency" LOL

*************************************

That's because Obama isn't and never was.

This is the first time we have had the WOMAN to run who is usually standing behind the MAN. Who couldn't get behind this ticket!?!

Posted by: Dana | August 29, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Lotsa comments panning Palin here.

Great pick.

Posted by: Good Lt | August 29, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Unlike the presidential nomination which is based on voting, a VP is an 'appointment' and is this person in McCain's judgment, the most qualified American? The guy must be running out of his Alzheimer prescription. Come on, show some brain power!

Posted by: Shamik | August 29, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

This is a insult to women across this nation. She's no Hillary Clinton! Hillary has given 35 years of her life for women and health care! Nice try on Palin's part to woe votes from Hillary Clinton voters, but this is too much of a insult! It's a insult to this country! Think about it...a woman who has been a major and served on the city council of Wasila - population 8,500!

A degree in journalism, which landed her a job as a sports reporter. A beauty queen! A owner of a commercial fishing company and recreational equipment company. Oh, I forgot to indicated she likes to fish and is a hockey mom!
My, I forgot her connection with Big Oil Companies!

All good, no great reasons for her to become vice-president, and with McOld, maybe president!

No wonder this country is in trouble!

What a laugh...what a joke....

Well, McOld, don't talk to us about Obama's lack of experience!

Vote goes for Obama/Biden!

Posted by: Dee | August 29, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

So far, Mrs. Palin has been vetted only by loving local Republicans and Mr. McCain's cockeyed optimist VP team. If he thinks that's going to pass muster, consider this: Mr. McCain has drawn a huge target on the side of the ship and a Pulitzer Prize awaits the first journalist/news organization who fires a torpedo through it to sink this ship of fools. She is a disaster waiting to happen and he has proven that, by seriously suggested she is qualified to be a heartbeat away from the Oval Office, he isn't qualified for the job either. The nation deserves better and, frankly, so do those of us who, until now, have been loyal Reagan Republicans. My vote goes to Mr. Obama and Mrs. Biden.

Posted by: Alaska Bob | August 29, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

A GREAT, FANTASTIC pick by McCain!
I'm thrilled about this ticket!

Posted by: DFP | August 29, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scrivener | August 29, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Everyone calling it a desperation pick makes me chuckle. Biden was true desperation, the result of a huge lead spiraling downward to even polls (one putting McCain at +5). The soaring convention speech has given you booze confidence, so away you go posting. /clap

If Obama actually had stones he would have double downed on his platform. McCain just did.

Posted by: GG | August 29, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

McCain has only met her in person twice? How the heck does he know that she is the right person to serve side by side with him for four years?

This pick is scary bad.

Posted by: Bob | August 29, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I am an Independent: I never voted for Reagan. The shrill-like tone of the previous commentators tells me how scared they really are (even if they don't want to admit it). Palin unifies the Republican base, her gender will attract independent women (who supported President Clinton in droves), and her views on energy attract me. New we are about to see two very interesting things: how sexist the far left is, and now how much value the far left will place on experience (without seeing the irony of it). Like him or hate him McCain has stolen a march on Obama

Posted by: Willard | August 29, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Believing that Hillary Clinton supporters will flock to the polls for a McCain/Woman ticket is not only misguided but insulting. I'm not a Hillary fan, but I believe she had more to offer America than just breasts. The McCain camp must have scoured every corner of this country to find a woman who is just as out of touch as him. Congratulations lady, you're a token.

Posted by: Alvin | August 29, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

WHO? Sarah Who? I can see the appeal of trying to add a woman, but is THIS the most qualified Republican woman???

Posted by: Peter Birder | August 29, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

This is not a choice of desperation, but of honest change - not rhetorical, as in the Obama mantra.

Obama - a gifted mouthpiece, schooled in the old-style politics of Chicago / Illinois - a man who touts legislative accomplishments which he didn't even cast a vote for - who has voted along HIS party's line 97% of the time - chooses 30 year Washington veteran partisan Biden - and expects people to believe that they will bring change to DC?

On the other hand, McCain - who actually has worked across the aisle, who actually has stood against his party - picks Governor Palin - another stand-alone Maverick who has a RECORD of going against her own party when they're wrong or corrupt.

We've now see who the real party of change is, and it is NOT the Democrats.

And the business of 'corruption' that libs are now bantering about regarding Palin will go absolutely nowhere. She and her office have cooperated and welcomed the investigation - the investigator has praised their openness. The mudslingers always neglect to mention the slimeball cop this brother-in-law police officer was - threatening to kill his wife and other family members, tasering his stepson, etc... If he were a police officer in just another news story, the liberals would be lining up to stone him.

All the tongue-wagging and distortions on the left only prove their worries about November.

Posted by: John | August 29, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Yes, a very good question indeed. They should ask that of Obama first !!

Keep drinking the cool-aid...suckers.

McCain / Palin .... what a ticket.

P.U.M.A.
Registered democrat for McCain / Palin :)

Posted by: AsBee | August 29, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Dan Quayle in high heels

Posted by: Bronco | August 29, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the quote from Bill Burton, what would you expect him to say? No matter whom McCain picked, the Democrats are going to criticize it - that's their job.

Regarding comments that this is a desperation pick. Hard to justify this argument given that the polls show the race is essentially a tie.

I've been aware of the (remote) possibility that Governor Palin could be considered for a few months now, so have learned a few things about her. She is clearly a reform-minded Republican who has a compelling personal story. She fits the "maverick" mold of John McCain, so is consistent with his statements that he wanted someone who shared his values and beliefs. She is enormously popular in Alaska (compare that with the approval rating of the U.S. Congress, two of whom make up the Democrat ticket). She is a true Washington outsider and has working class roots. She is a former union member and her husband is currently a union member. She has more executive experience than any of the other candidates. I would rate her experience level as not much different from Senator Obama's - the difference is she is running for vice president and he is running for president. First and foremost, she appears to be a quality human being. A bold pick that I heartily approve.

Posted by: MikeS | August 29, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Almost the entire nation is shocked, literally. Congrats to Palin, but there's resentment specifically on McCain's part; hardly as many seems to understand him on this one. We're serious, and they don't get it.

Posted by: Obama2008 | August 29, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me but this women is the only person in this political race that has experience as being in a position where the buck stops here. She is the only one that has been in an executive position. Even Joe Biden who has hung around Washington since 1972 (and you call him change?)has never been in charge of it all. Jeff, she has all the credentials of a true conservative and if you are to even have thoughts of voting for Obama, I have to question your credentials as a conservative. I say go to the Democrats, it sounds like thats where you belong.

Posted by: yo_manimal | August 29, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

They've given up the fight, just going through the motion. I'm sure that Sarah Palin is a nice, dedicated public servant from the super-sized state of Alaska. I'm sure that she feels comfortable doing things that Cindy would never touch (Dressing Moose kill, for example) but this choice is nothing more than a sign of desperation. It changes nothing.

Bush/Cheney/McCain. No More Years!

Posted by: thebob.bob | August 29, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Bill Burton, a spokesman for the Obama campaign, said in a statement. “Governor Palin shares John McCain’s commitment to overturning Roe v. Wade, the agenda of Big Oil and continuing George Bush’s failed economic policies — that’s not the change we need, it’s just more of the same.”

Posted by: Magoo equals Bitterness and Hate | August 29, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

LOL - Palin is just as out of touch as McCain! This is just so perfect! McCain is so much worse than Bush could ever be.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me.

A presidential candidate picks a woman with no National or Foreign Relations experience, who has a degree in journalism, that has a newborn, and he thinks they will get all the female votes just because she is a woman. This is a desperation move from McCain. What happened to the old McCain that stood up and would debate issues, not run all negative ads and VP selections just to get votes.

McCain, let me ask you something, you have built a campaign on the lack of experience of Obama and not being ready, but you pick a woman less qualified and in no way has the experience to take over the Presidential office if something happens to you.

And McCain’s slogan is “Country First”, this just proves that it is not “country first”, it is lets do whatever we can to win. I have been a registered Republican since I was 18, Bush hurt it and now McCain just killed every reason I believed in the traditional republican party. In the primaries I was part of the Ron Paul campaign as it stood for the traditional Republican ideals.

And now the GOP has just lost my vote!, Obama was right it is time for a change, and maybe that change will get the Republican party to go back to their roots!!!

Send a true message to the Republican party and elect Obama, so the Republican party will have 4 years to get their stuff together and get back where they came from. The message when they lost the Senate and House 2 years ago wasn’t enough it seems.

My vote is for country first, that is why I am voting for Obama.

Posted by: Jeff | August 29, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

This is a choice of complete desperation on McCain's part.

Posted by: Ken | August 29, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse