The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Sarah Palin

Inside the Convention Hall for Palin

John McCain and Sarah Palin at the Republican National Convention at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, September 3, 2008.(Melina Mara/ The Washington Post)

ST. PAUL -- 11:42 p.m. Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) said: "I think this was a major introduction to the American people. Now, the public vetting process begins."

Snowe added that it was a special night.

"Anytime you have a groundbreaking event as historic as this is, it's a critical moment for women. It elevates all women."
--Kevin Merida

11:23 p.m. Button sighting: "Hottest VP / Coolest State," with a picture of Palin between the two phrases.
--Paul Kane

11:01 p.m. The teleprompter Sarah Palin is reading from scrolled the words "new-clear weapons" before her. The same typo was in the prepared text of her speech released by the Republican National Convention. "Starting in January, in a McCain-Palin administration, we're going to lay more pipelines ... build more new-clear plants ... create jobs with clean coal ... and move forward on solar, wind, geothermal, and other alternative sources," it read.
--Rajiv Chandrasekaran

10:52 p.m. Oldest son Track Palin appeared confused when his mother praised him for his upcoming deployment to Iraq.

"Do we stand up?" he asked his younger sister and Cindy McCain as the crowd erupted in applause.

Piper, the youngest Palin daughter, leaped to her feet when her mother recognized her daughters in the speech. She later rocked Trig on her lap for most of the remainder of her mother's remarks.

Bristol and Levi held hands tightly throughout most of the speech. All of the children beamed when their mother took to the stage, appearing amazed at the reception and the sight of their mother in such a high-profile role.

Cindy McCain seemed especially pleased throughout the speech, jumping to her feet frequently, pumping her fists and appearing more excited than usual at the site of the Palin family on stage and her husband's appearance with them.
--Ed O'Keefe

10:51 p.m. Cindy McCain rocked baby Trig Palin for a while during Rudy Giuliani's speech, a big smile on her face, before returning him to daddy Todd Palin, who continued the rocking.

Bristol Palin stood and waved when Sarah Palin introduced her, as did husband Todd. Cindy McCain nodded her head repeatedly and smiled when Palin took her dig at Obama's community service. Levi Johnston was the most placid throughout.

Chants of: "NBC! NBC! NBC!" broke out when Palin took her shot at the media.
--Kevin Merida

10:45 p.m. A pair of Code Pink activists just got to the very edge of the stage and were a moment away from apparently running on stage, right by the Kentucky slot on the floor next to a host of McCain's most senior staffers.

Secret Service men grabbed them at last minute and literally dragged them out.
--Paul Kane

10:30 p.m. Palin's father in tears as she takes the stage.

Sarah Palin begins her speech during the Republican National Convention at the Xcel Energy Center, September 3, 2008. (Bonnie Jo Mount / The Washington Post)

10:25 p.m. Cindy McCain turns to Todd Palin and says, "That's a great line" after Giuliani's "maybe they cling to religion there" zinger.

10:23 p.m. Cindy McCain is holding Trig Palin, who appears to be sleeping.

10:17 p.m. Palin's family is sitting expressionless for the most part, not clapping when the hall erupts in applause. Not only did Bristol Palin seem overwhelmed at first sight of the crowd, but she appears visibly tired, yawning a few times over the course of Giuliani's speech.

A mix of McCain campaign staffers, convention workers and Secret Service are policing the floor near the Palin and McCain seats. They are not stopping reporters from standing there, but are instead shooing delegates back to their seats.

Roberta McCain is also seated behind the Palins and Cindy McCain.

10:04 p.m. Levi Johnston and Bristol Palin have spent the past 10 minutes coolly speaking with each other, paying no attention to the photographers snapping photos just below them. They're looking at the reporters and photographers snapping photos, but not cracking any smiles.

Bristol did seem to let out a big breath of amazement as she took her seat, seeing the large hall for the first time.

Bristol is wearing a dark grey dress that clearly shows a "baby bump." Todd Palin is seated next to Cindy McCain who is seated next to Willow Palin.

Janet Huckabee and Judi Giuliani are seated directly behind Cindy McCain.
--Ed O'Keefe

Posted at 10:39 PM ET on Sep 3, 2008  | Category:  Sarah Palin
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Huckabee: 'Some Things We Don't Want to Change' | Next: Biden's Vote Total? Higher Than Palin's

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Reading all of your comments scares me. It scares me to think someone like Obama could really be leader of the most powerful nation in the world. Someone who looks at himself as if HE is a god, and hardly acknowledges that My God (Our Lord Jesus Christ) even exists. Someone who tries to lie to the younger generation trying to make us believe that the U.S is this horrible place by repeatdly telling us over, and over, and over. I was brought up in a middle-class community I never had the things everyone around me had. And I still think america is great right now. It's the only place to be able to live the "American Dream" that Obama will take away from us. It scares me so bad that you all have been lied to and your all falling for it. The economy wouldnt be "sooo bad" if people would get off their butts and get jobs instead of making tax-payers like us pay your welfare checks. I think welfare should be abolished, because it allows ignorant people to fail in life and still get paid for acctping failure. And I know 99% of people on welfare are all for the democratics because they love paying people who dont work, by taking bigger chunks of change from people who do. You Obama supporters will regret it when our nation is takin over by terrorists groups and the same countries were trying to defeat now will be the same ones we'll be running away from if he is elected. Even if you all do hate the troops like majority of democrats do, remember its the Troops Heroism that made them WANT to join the military, the government has not made ANYONE go over seas that wasnt ready, willing, and able. So come upo with something better to talk about than the government forcing soldiers over seas. Think about your freedom enjoy it while you have it before you doom us all.

Posted by: BamaFan08 | September 8, 2008 3:05 PM

Dear Friends,
Sarah Palin’s remarks, during her speech at the Republican Convention, oppressed the importance of community organizers who have worked against governments and systems that have forsaken its call to advocate on a community level. As far back as I can remember community organizers were the real movers and shakers within America’s social issues when politicians refused to listen to the concerns of the people. It took ordinary folks organizing their communities to demand action from government. Where would America be without community organizers?
Without folks like Harriet Tubman who organized one group at a time starting with her family to escape slavery. She eventually organized millions of Slaves to freedom that eventually reached far into Canada. There were others like Jane Addams who was an American social worker, sociologist and reformer called "The mother of Social Work." and Saul David Alinsky is generally considered the father of community organizing. A criminologist by training, Alinsky in the 1930s organized the Back of the Yards neighborhood in Chicago (made famous by Upton Sinclair's The Jungle). He went on to found the Industrial Areas Foundation while organizing the Woodlawn neighborhood, which trained organizers and assisted in the founding of community organizations around the country. In Rules for Radicals (his final work, published one year before his death), he addressed the 1960s generation of radicals, outlining his views on organizing for mass power. A young Hillary Clinton was born because his movement, writing her undergraduate thesis on his work and ideas.
Another community organizer the Reverend Jesse Louis Jackson Sr. who was a civil rights and political activist in the United States also became a candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1984 and 1988.
And last but certainly not least Sarah Palin mocked the tireless efforts of the Rev. Martin Luther King who was an American Nobel Laureate, Baptist minister, and African American civil rights activist. He is one of the most significant leaders in U.S. history and in the modern history of non-violence. Dr. King started his work out of his local congregation.
She mocked my work as an HIV/AIDS organizer and a soon to be candidate for ordain Ministry with the United Church of Christ and the American Baptist. My work has always been about justice for all of God’s people.

She mocked those who have contributed to the Obama campaign because we dare to dream that a leader can rise out of communities hit by poverty and not out of communities of privilege. While I heard her attacking our lives work and our dreams, I did not hear her plan about how the economy would be saved and how help would be on the way for folks who are losing their homes. While she was attacking our dream for a better America, I did not hear her say anything about a new kind of government coming from the Republican Party. All I heard was the same old business of Washington politics that have dominated for nearly seven years. I think her speech shows how out of touch she truly is.

Sincerely T.J. Williams Chicago and a member of the Riverside Church NYC
Activist and candidate for ordain Ministry

Posted by: tj.williams | September 6, 2008 1:43 AM

I also thought this was a nasty, sarcastic speech.

She was wrong on many of her facts but how would she know them anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 5:04 PM

I also thought this was a nasty, sarcastic speech.

She was wrong on many of her facts but how would she know them anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 5:04 PM

WaPo does not mention that the Code Pink person who stormed the stage, was Jodie Evans, one of Obama's largest "bundlers" for donations from the group.

Wake Up people - these are the sort of nuts who will be influencing the young Dauphin Obama.

Posted by: pgr88 | September 5, 2008 9:09 AM

[I'm sorry -- have corrected this item for my bad spelling and resubmitted]

To "It's Me!", thanks for your response.

I still insist a cover story being used to explain away the fact that Sarah Palin had to be coached on how to pronounce the word "nuclear" even though it was seen spelled "new-clear" on her teleprompter as well as on printed copies of the speech.

The cover story is 1) that it's just a typo and 2) Sarah Palin is so smart she gave the speech from memory, even though the teleprompter was broken.

Sadly there are techniques to these things. Under Nixon they were called "Dirty Tricks", hence "Tricky Dick" as Nixon name. Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney were together in the Nixon staff. I wonder what may have brought them in.

Rumsfeld was tricky in the 1970s. They ran him as a republican against a seated wealthy republican in suburban Chicago.

Rumsfeld had a partner who would go to all the other guy's speeches, pretending to be a local person, and raise made up questions over and over. The questions were designed for maximum embarrassing effect. I think there were other things, too.

That friend in subversion (my word for it) was later appointed head of the Republican National Committee by George Bush senior. He was head of RNC when George Bush junior was "Sarah Palin'ed" from Texas Governor to World Leader rank. Correct me if my memory fails me in any of the above.

These tricks have an old and in my opinion evil tradition. For example, another old trick (Hitler used it) is to have your own speeches disrupted by a heckler. Then your guys make a big show of dragging the heckler away. When order resumes the speaker -- who must remain cool and leader-like -- says something clever, like, "See what we're up against?" Your delighted audience loudly cheers your strength.

Later on your guys can go secretly trash something and blame gets put on your enemies. After all, everyone knows they are such disruptive types, right?

Next you build justification for even more hatred against the targeted group. You do this for years, collecting financial support all the way. Finally, you announce a day of great purge, and all your followers shout in unison, "Surge and Purge, Surge and Purge, Surge and Purge." The effect is, in one word, Rawanda.

Please don't believe everything projected at you from the Big Brother convention screen. Reject dirty tricks. Stand up for the Constitution of the United States of America and our laws, applied with equal justice for all. That's what the American flag stands for. That's what McCain, Biden, and Obama all stand for.

As for Sarah Palin, sorry, I feel she may be seriously nuts, and I would not feel comfortable having her anywhere near nuclear weapons. (Yes, Sarah, it's pronounced new-clear not new-cu-lar).

Posted by: Citizen of Chicago | September 5, 2008 2:35 AM

To "It's Me!", thanks for your response.

Sadly there are techniques to these things. Under Nixon they were called "Dirty Tricks", hence "Tricky Dick" as Nixon name. Donald Rumsfield and Dick Cheney were together in the Nixon staff. I wonder what may have brought them in.

Rumsfield ws tricky in the 1970s. They ran him as a republican against a seated wealthy republican in suburban Chicago.

Rumsfield had a partner who would go to all the other guy's speeches, pretending to be a local person, and raise made up questions over and over. The questions were designed for maximum embarrassing effect. I think there were other things, too.

That friend in subversion (my word for it) was later appointed head of the Republican National Committee by George Bush senior. He was head of RNC when George Bush was "Sarah Palin'ed" from Texas Governor to World Leader rank. Correct me if my memory fails me in any of the above.

These tricks have an old and in my opinion evil tradition. For example, another old trick (Hitler used it) is to have your own speeches disrupted by a heckler. Then your guys make a big show of dragging the heckler away. When order resumes the speaker -- who must remain cool and leader-like -- says something clever, like, "See what we're up against?" You delighted audiance loudly cheers your strength.

Next you build justification for even more hatred against the targeted group. You do this for years, collecting financial support all the way. Finally, you announce a day of great purge, and all your follower shout in unison, "Surge and Purge, Surge and Purge, Surge and Purge." The effect is, in one word, Rawanda.

As for Sarah Palin, aorry, I feel she may be seriously nuts, and I would not feel comfortable having her anywhere near nuclear weapons. (Yes, Sarah, it's pronounced new-clear not new-cu-lar).

Posted by: Citizen of Chicago | September 5, 2008 2:22 AM

I'll give Ms. Palin credit for presentation skills, she can read a teleprompter effectively and has a good flare for drama. She also appears to have a real vindictive streak, which is couched in a velveteen package. As for her ability to govern, I agree being a mayor of a small town isn't a bad place to learn about politics, but she's a shameless opportunist when it comes to earmarks. She conveys the common touch but isn't above using state funds to hire a lawyer to defend her political agenda. Is she qualified to be Vice-President, probably, after all Dan Quayle served for four years, but does the country really need another person who believes god blesses their actions? Remember George W. believes that too.

Posted by: Jayce | September 4, 2008 7:27 PM

I cannot believe civilized, seemingly educated adults will still take cheap shots and say things like "pass the retard baby" and "I don't care about...your retarted baby." What is wrong with people?

Posted by: Angela | September 4, 2008 6:13 PM

I am cracking up at all you people. Katrina is up their making up lies about Palin. Clearly the things you spoke of were unresearched by you. You know nothing of Alaska. Then others are talking about how they should be raising the baby, or the baby should be home in bed, blah blah blah.

This is pointless non-political dribble. It has nothing to do with the race, the presidency, or the vice-presidency. You ask about how Palin is going to raise the baby and why isn't the baby in bed, but you ignore the plethora of missing pieces in the Obama/Soetero puzzle.

None of you even know his full story, but you defend it. You don't know the story because he hasn't told you. He has given you lines and workarounds, but has obstructed investigations. He even lied about using the name Soetero. It appears he even faked a birth certificate.

What is with you candidates? Hillary was also blocking information from her past. Don't you people have standards? Uh, that was a rhetorical question... I already know that answer. Go Marxism!

Posted by: LAM | September 4, 2008 4:28 PM

How nice, McCain's and Palin's playing pass the retard baby all night. It is easy for Palin to use the kid to push her pro life agenda. A nanny is going to get stuck raising it, I hope it isn't the same one that was watching Bristol.

Posted by: Eric | September 4, 2008 3:49 PM

I am not a McCain or Obama supporter. I was thinking going 3rd party. After hearing about Palin I started paying more attention. Then the media starts attacking (some the right questions, most just sexist blah) and I started really paying attention to the media. When you find out how much of Obama's background that has been undisclosed but a 17 yr old is savaged it just rips the blinders of the media bias off. Then Palin spoke last night and I am impressed. She is strong, intellegient, made it to governor of our largest state by working hard for it. She has actually accomplished something. I haven't not committed yet but I am now leaning towards the McCain/Palin ticket.

Posted by: Diann | September 4, 2008 1:28 PM

Women are "elevated" by Palin? I, for think we are degraded by her presence as a token female political tool. She has a history of lies, corruption, & cover-ups. She has displayed cold and heartless attitudes towards wild animals (inc the endangered polar bear), towards our soldiers and the Iraqi people, and towards unwed mothers, and special needs children other than her own. She is not a woman i want representing me.

Posted by: katrina II | September 4, 2008 1:09 PM

"The word nuclear was spelled out phonetically on Sarah Palin's teleprompter as a coaching cue. It should not have become public as it runs against the image being promoted.

In the big introduction in Ohis Palin pronounced the word as "new-cular", and it sounded to me that McCain or someone else near the same mike said "nuclear" softly to correct her.

Obviously this has been a coaching problem they've had to work on, since Bush always said nuclear and so many people considered that to be idiotic."

By the, her teleprompter broke during the speech. She continued on without a blink. Same thing happened to Obama, he um'd and ah'd until they got it fixed.

Posted by: It's Me! | September 4, 2008 12:18 PM

Did I miss it? Where was Obama's congratulatory commercial concerning Palin's historic moment? Nothing at all? Didn't think so.

Posted by: It's Me! | September 4, 2008 12:14 PM

I can't believe how many Americans are falling for this trap. I want a politician for VP, not an Alaskan sitcom family. I don't care about your snowmobile jumping husband, or your military son, or your retarded baby. None of this has anything to do with the election at hand. Stay tuned next week when the Palin's adopt a Chinese baby followed by a guest appearance from Bill Cosby. Give me a break hahaha.

Elect Palin if you want to rape Alaska's resources and continue our dependence on foreign and domestic oil.

Posted by: Jeebus | September 4, 2008 12:01 PM

Posted by: Citizen of Chicago | September 4, 2008 11:56 AM

The Left and Obama can dish it out but not take it.

Most of Palin's comments about Obama were based in words right out of Obama's mouth or the overblown ego he has displayed throughout his campaign.

Obama is the one who ridiculed those who cherish the 2nd Amendment, Obama said middle-American's were bitter, Obama said his ascendency would be "the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal", Obama did choose to give his speech in a huge stadium with a Greek-God set...and on and on.

Pointing out Obama's own words and inflated view of himself and turning them around on him is not mean, nasty or insulting. It's called smart politics and exposing a fraud for what he is.

Posted by: sharprightturn | September 4, 2008 10:57 AM

The Left and Obama can dish it out but not take it.

Posted by: sharprightturn | September 4, 2008 10:57 AM

The Left and Obama can dish it out but not take it.

Posted by: sharprightturn | September 4, 2008 10:57 AM

The media raising the issue of the vetting process of Sarah Palin. I haven't seen anyone raise the question of how well did the media vet Barack H Obama? Did they do the spade work digging into every aspect of OHB’s life from birth until today? Did they investigate the political views of his mother and father and his white grandparent’s who raised him (says something about his own mother and father’s parenting skills)? Did they vet his school days in Indonesia, Hawaii and his time at Columbia with teams of on the spot investigators?
All the concern voiced about Governor Sarah Palin’s lack of experience is surely intended to mask Senator Barak H. Obama’s executive experience which is a blank page unless his time as Chairman of the Chicago based Annenberg Project run actually by former Weather Underground leader and unrepentant terrorist bomber Bill Ayers is included. To date this period of his work experience has been written in invisible ink. And the BHO campaign is going to extreme efforts to insure that the records of this phase of his executive experience are buried and remain invisible.
What else is buried about BHO’s past, besides Ayers,Wright, Rezko? Could it be the identity of “Frank’ his mentor for a period of time in Hawaii? Could the following Frank be the one and shouldn’t the American people be told:
The secrecy surrounding BHO’s past belies his attempt to portray himself as a ‘new’ and ‘different’ politician. And his speech filled with a litany of ‘to dos’ is the same old same old liberal/socialist agenda tax, tax, spend, spend on more and more government programs so the American people become dependent on the government for everything, the new USSA , United Socialist States of America.

Posted by: E.Patrick Mosman | September 4, 2008 10:18 AM

Biden confuses brigade and battalion 3 times in one week, and not a word about it in the WaPo. Let us imagine McCain confused brigade and battalion 3 times in one week. Wouldn't the WaPo be all over it? Of course. The radical left-wing WaPo, so stupid that they write about ANWR all the time, but didn't know who the governor was. Why does the national desk know so much about the governors of Kansas, Montana, and Virginia, but not the biggest state? Because they are fat, liberal elitist who just don't get it.

Posted by: Karen | September 4, 2008 10:05 AM

Absolutely amazing speech. Devastating and on the mark. I am now solidly behind the McCain ticket. This is the birth of a new Republican part and I am in 100%.

Sarah Palin is destined for big things.

Posted by: Don | September 4, 2008 9:58 AM

As for last nights speech, I'll be as honest as I can. She hit a bases loaded triple and cleared the bases. It's now 7-3 democrats in the top of the 6th inning. Plenty of time left. The R batters have been awakened and the R home crowd is finally awake. The R pitching is down and not many left to keep the game close so we need to get the most out of a starter, John McCain. If we can get that lead, we'll bring in our closer Sarah Palin. Now I'm excited because our hitters weren't hitting and Obama hit a grand slam in the early innings of the game with his speech. So we were down 4-0 at that point. But we're inching back ever so closely. Obama is throwing a great game but could be wearing down. All pitchers do that. It takes but one hit. My friends us conservatives(I'm not a registered R any longer-I'm a Constitutional Party member) have had some rather poor leadership. We're going to fire the manager soon and start selling off our big name players because all they are doing is collecting their checks while not contributing to the overall effectiveness of the team. We're not a deep team, our farm league minor league players are in tatters and those running the organization have left the team suffer far too much far too long. With new buyers and new leadership we can make this the team what it once was, champions. But we need you fans to keep attending the games and cheer our side on. It's hard to go out day and night and face the competition with empty seats. One feels we're playing for nothing. This game is critical to the success of our organization. We need to make some trades, promote some promising minor leaguer's who might be able to contribute. The other side, the D's is a well oiled, finely tuned hitting and pitching machine. They're deep, much like the NY Yankees. They keep throwing great hitter after great hitter at our week pitching staff. All I can say is even as a lean team and not a very deep one, we have a chance. Just look at the Major league teams that are in small markets yet over the past 5 years have done modestly well against powerhouses like the NY Yankees. You have the Minnesota Twins, Oakland A's, Tampa Bay Devil Rays this year. Well us Conservatives can do the same thing. First of all we need to rid the party of the fat, lazy old timers who rarely if ever contribute to the over effectiveness of the team. Guys like Ted Stevens can't field anymore. Guys like Larry Craig, Mark Foley, Duke Cunningham, Tom DeLay and Bob Ney once good hitters have taken to many steroids thus affecting their overall play. D's have gone out and signed big time hitters like Jim Webb, Barack Obama, Janine Shaheen, Bob Casey and so many others are have rebuilt their brand from the ground up. No doubt that the Democratic team will win Organization of the year in 2008. Heck they might even give the defending World Series champions Boston Red Sox a run for their money. Fans the game isn't over yet, it's half over and we're in the 6th inning. What is needed is a cohesiveness and a belief that our team can comeback even if it's the bottom of the 9th. We can win. We can beat the Democrats much like the way the 1980 US Hockey team defeated the USSR for the gold. That's not meant to say we're the US and they're the USSR but rather as much as the odds are against us we can win with great coaching and great follow through.

Posted by: steahoover | September 4, 2008 9:57 AM

Good Lord, listen to the fear and hate in the Obama cultists. Your golden idol suddenly looking like it won't go the distance to the coronation? Ha ha ha!

Keep it up. Keep insulting and demeaning a 17 year old because you want to get at her mother. Call her a hick, a moron, a psyco, pour on the venom. Get so frenzied and vicious the masks slips for good, show us all your real faces.

Posted by: Amos | September 4, 2008 9:23 AM

Yes, Diane, tell us exactly how the Democrats support those with special needs. Oh, that's right! They abort them.

Posted by: Glynn | September 4, 2008 8:43 AM

"...abortion, guns, terrorism..."

Right, Chris. Those aren't issues at all, are they.

Now, proper tire inflation: THERE'S a real issue for you.

change.

Posted by: Snoop-Diggity-DANG-Dawg | September 4, 2008 8:40 AM

The libs are mad cause she was rough, give me a break!The libs started this crap and now their mad cause they brought a knife to a gun fight.It amazes me how all these Dem's talk, they all say the same thing "you citizens can't do anything without us, you are all doomed, America is so bad" The main difference between them and the conservatives is personal empowerment.Why do people buy the drugs the libs are peddling? They want to have a socialist country where every decision is made for you. If that kind of government was so great then why does everyone want to come here? Why does everyone come here for medical care? Why is it when citizens around the world are in trouble they come to us? Why don't you get it? Our founding fathers came here to escape this kind of government! Obama's only intention is to make history for himself and to single handedly tear down what took over 250 yrs. to establish. Take Biden for example, he is now all about CHANGE, tell me what has he changed in Washington in 36 yrs? What has Obama done to change the very dirty political machine in Chicago? Nothing! Obama has not done one thing for this country other than give some empty promises. This is a man that has written two autobiographies before the age of 47? To quote a true reformer, "he has written two books and not one piece of legislation all his time in politics. McCain on the other hand has demonstrated true leadership and truly has had a record.

Posted by: Jeff K | September 4, 2008 8:40 AM

In case you didn't notice, the Palin family is very loving and supportive of one another. Babies can sleep anywhere; that's what they do.

Piper's adoration and care for her brother was picture perfect.

Women can do it all. Get use to it!!!!

Posted by: Michelle | September 4, 2008 8:34 AM

Thank God someone is willing to take on the weenies in the leftist media and the insane people who think it is ok, actually they relish the idea with sweaty glee, to destroy the life of Bristol Palin.

McCain/Palin '08

Posted by: Rev. Dr. E Buzz Miller | September 4, 2008 7:53 AM

The choice of this woman by the Republican party is patently one driven by a need for fireworks. They have no issues other than the usual sad theatrics--abortion, guns, terrorism etc. and no ideas save for more of the unsustainable same.

The matter is much larger now and it will be crucial to somehow make the mass of Americans at least be aware of it: If America elects the Republican candidate to the White house, it is all over. The manufacturing base is gone, the moral image is gone, the money is gone, the infrastructure is beyond repair and population is quite simply the fattest, unhealthiest, least educated and most obtuse of any industrialized nation. If, at this point, Obama is not elected that signals that hope, courage, positivity too have been extinguished and America can go the way of Ozymandias; hopefully without causing anymore mischief.

The end of the American Experiment.

Posted by: christopher daley | September 4, 2008 7:47 AM

She was amazing! To give a speech like that after 5 days of media hounding shows some real grit.

Rudy slaughtered a cow on stage as well. I've never seen so much red meat.

Posted by: Peter Lodge | September 4, 2008 7:42 AM

Wow, irony and hypocrisy sure have had a work out this week.
I have never seen so many liberals selling out every principle they believe in just to try and gain more power. I mean I have seen liberals defend Islamic treatment of women, I have seen Liberals worried about family values, liberals questioning women’s ability to hold both career and family. I was not aware that as a small business owner I could use a woman’s family as cause for termination, that’s good to know.

But even on these postings its apparent, I mean all the libs say she was nasty, yet look at the comments:
“sarcastic, nasty, horrible woman”
“Even a southern redneck would be insulted”
“shrill, immature woman”
“She has no,no, no class and is a disgrace to women in this country”
Lol. Something has spooked the Obamatons

Ahhh Irony is lost on the weak minded.
Obama 08 Losers of the world unite!

Posted by: RobX | September 4, 2008 4:23 AM

I'm an indie voter and the Romney, Giulian, Palin show was really bitter and sarcastic and waaaay to the right.

No thanks. I'm done with Bush.

I expected her to be more warm and disarming, not just nasty. The pit bull joke was funny, but I don't like pit bulls.

Posted by: Danielle | September 4, 2008 2:21 AM

Could the Obama supporters please cite specific examples they found "nasty"? I'm honestly curious. Or what facts she had wrong? Or why the speakers were considered "bitter"?

I seem to remember a whole lot of whining about how bad everyone had it at the Dem convention, and many attacks on Republicans.

And to the poster who said the Republicans will burn the country down, could you explain what you mean? All the speakers seemed to be very positive about the country.

To BB: you are quoting the Washington Post, not "Republicans patting themselves on the back".

I also note quite a bit of nastiness from many of the Dem posters on this forum. Is it just because you are anonymous? Or do you have much lower standards for your personal behavior than you demand from politicians?

Posted by: b | September 4, 2008 1:44 AM

To those of you who think Palin is "nasty" for pointing out Obama's flaws--did you guys watch the speeches of the Democratic National Convention? Many of those speeches, including Obama's, spent much time pointing out McCain's flaws. She actually made jokes rather than flat-out insulting Obama.
And watch your tongue...Republicans don't all hate democrats. She didn't insult democrats as a whole at all. It is actually democrats who tend to stereotype Republicans as always being dumb, redneck, uneducated folk from hicksville. News flash to you--Conservatives and Republicans inhabit both small towns and the most elite universities.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 1:20 AM

Sarah Palin was amazing tonight! I can't wait to vote for McCain-Palin! You're right Matt, Obama should be worried. It's evident from the news coverage this week that the media is worried too.

Posted by: JC | September 4, 2008 1:17 AM

boy,the libs must be really worried. keep it up guys... keep sending out your retoric and unruly bitter sexist hate. Throw in assults to southerners ( which oman needs) You are just digging your grave. And by the way.. grow up... personal attacks, that's all you have left (no pun intended), pitiful, just pitiful. this is why you will not win.

Posted by: realdeal | September 4, 2008 1:16 AM

Wow, I was absolutely sickened by this sarcastic, nasty, horrible woman. So, much for taking the high road and no personal attacks! Looks like the GOP hasn't changed a bit, which is quite sad. Their absolute hatred of Democrats seems to contradict their so called "Christian values!" As far as Palin's little down's syndrome baby goes, I have worked with people with special needs for over 25 years and the Republican party does not support programs for people with special needs. If she had this little guy and was not in the public eye, I think she would be frustrated in trying to get services for her little guy under the Republicans. I pray the little fella has a happy & healthy life.

Posted by: Diane | September 4, 2008 1:07 AM

And the hits keep coming. The National Enquirer, which was lauded by the rightwingnuts for their Edwards reporting, has just published an article about an alleged affair of Sarah Palin, with more details supposedly coming next weeks. My, my, my. What's good for the goose...

Posted by: New Boston Yankee | September 4, 2008 12:29 AM

One thing was settled...we now know where all the bitter people are - the gop convention. What a pack of juvenile whiners. But if your record is as bad as theirs, you use the only card you've got - hooey.

Posted by: jb | September 4, 2008 12:26 AM

As for the speech, it just marks the return of a standard Republican campaign. Once again they're going to try to burn down the country as long as their the last ones standing.

Posted by: BB | September 4, 2008 12:09 AM

Am I the only person who remembers that we've had a female VP nominee before? That the Dems did it 25 years ago? The GOP is going to hurt their arms patting themselves on the back so hard.

Posted by: BB | September 4, 2008 12:07 AM

I thought this was a nasty, sarcastic speech. Sarah Palin went low road. She was wrong on many of her facts. I think what the republicans showed tonight is that Karl Rove is alive and well.

Posted by: sueb | September 3, 2008 11:49 PM

"new-clear" isn't a typo, Rajiv. It's a phonetic spelling, to keep Palin from pronouncing it "nucular," the way Bush does.

Posted by: herzliebster | September 3, 2008 11:39 PM

Shouldn't that poor baby be in bed? Instead of talking about "putting country first", shouldn't she be "putting her family first"? What a shrill, immature woman. I can't wait until Joe Biden tears her to shreds during the VP debate.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 3, 2008 11:31 PM

Trig was awake on stage.

Posted by: JakeD | September 3, 2008 11:27 PM

The baby should be home in his own bed. They must have druged him because he did not move once. Palin is the ultimate liar, along with McCain. She can't speak worth a Tinker's DMMM. She has no,no, no class and is a disgrace to women in this country. Even a southern redneck would be insulted by this VP.
Obama '08

Posted by: mzbond | September 3, 2008 11:00 PM

A lot of solid heavyweights up on stage tonight.. The speeches were full of contradictions but not enough to really mar the evening. Great red meat (for moderates, too) from Romney and Rudy. And Palin's just speaking now. Obama needs to be worried.

Posted by: matt | September 3, 2008 10:44 PM