The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

The Sleuth

Did Palin Borrow 'Lipstick' Schtick?

By Mary Ann Akers
Sarah Palin's now famous "lipstick" joke from her acceptance speech Wednesday night is generating lots of buzz in Democratic circles and the liberal blogosphere. Not because of how funny it was, but because of its similarity to another (in)famous one-liner delivered by controversial evangelical pastor John Hagee.

Palin, who, like Hagee, is an evangelical Christian, had Republicans inside St. Paul's Xcel Energy Center doubled over laughing when she said, "What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull? Lipstick."

Hagee, in his book "What Every Man Wants in a Woman," wrote, "Do you know the difference between a woman with PMS and a snarling Doberman pinscher? The answer is lipstick."

Continue reading at The Sleuth»

Posted at 7:16 PM ET on Sep 4, 2008  | Category:  The Sleuth
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Romney: McCain Still Outside the Conservative Mainstream | Next: McCain Prepares for RNC Speech

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I hereby predict that Sarah Palin will become "Mrs Nowhere 20008", and thereafter will dedicate herself to make a fortune selling dehydrated snow on e-Bay.
______________________
*I am Nostradamus, and I approve this message*

Posted by: El Mugroso | September 11, 2008 2:18 AM

Obama is the man for the job. Obama will be the next President. If you want things to stay the same, vote for McCain.

Posted by: LAW | September 10, 2008 3:25 PM

Obama did not call Palin a pig. He was merely stating that you are a person. If you put a pair of glasses on your face, you are still the same person with or without the glasses. He was referring to McCain stating he was for change. He was showing that McCain is not for change, you can vote McCain into the White House but you will still have Bush there. Plain and simple. God Bless

Posted by: L.C. | September 10, 2008 3:23 PM

I would never wear lipstick. I really was a biotch. They paid my to play a dog.

Spuds

Posted by: Honey Tree Evil Eye | September 10, 2008 12:55 PM

No offense given by Obama.
“lipstick on a pig” is a parable from the Book of Malachia, and parables are interpreted individually, as the shoe fits.
Unfortunately, some “don’t get it”, like McCain and all of Bush’s disciples, except maybe for Judass.

Posted by: El Mugroso | September 10, 2008 3:50 AM

Obama's lip stick / pig remark ... and, Biden's unsavory children with special needs remarks show us what a couple of creeps these two candidates are. In lieu of Sarah Palin's comment about hockey moms, pit bulls and lip stick, Obama's lip stick/ pig remark was extremely demeaning. Even though I am not an Obama supporter, at least I thought he had some degree of class and sophistication. He can try to cover his tracks by saying that the lip stick remark was not directed towards Governor Palin, but anyone with half a brain knows that's exactly what he meant. I think Obama knows his campaign is in real trouble, and that's why he's stooping to such desperate, insulting and distasteful attacks. Obama is definitely not Presidential material.

Posted by: Gina | September 10, 2008 2:38 AM

Life is not simple, political life is. Your children never will be in harms way at war, so talk is cheap. Most do not no what it is like to struggle.
Leaving it at that, the Republicans VP, soother in mouth, rifle ready is just a mouth piece. If you shot a deer you would know that the animal will look right at you knowing it's killer. A rifle is not a natural predator they are used to. and unless you are poor and can't afford to buy food what's the thrill. is it the cutting, the trophy, or the man made weapon of destruction. Any idiot can kill., these mavericks make me sick. If you want a female VP, go for a real naturalist. Lots of bull seems to excite you people and I question why. I prey her son does not come back dead or disabled for life, by fire power or the poisoned air he will be breathing because of all the bombs dropped in this illegal war. Yes illegal. Get past the soother people. She does not, nor will have the experience for years. Al the poor lady has is backing and scrips written by everyone involved in this 8 year mess. May your god bless you the people, not theirs. I still have faith the real American women equal to any man will see through this disgusting attempt to start yet another war. The surge did not work. You will never change those people and have no business there. Just a calm before the storm, and yes the Republicans can hide much from you till election day.

Posted by: justadad55= | September 5, 2008 3:45 AM

Well of course she's familiar with the Reverend Hagee. He's one of the most extreme right wing evangelical preachers we've got, a real anti-everything bible thumper. She can't even blame the speach writer for that one, it was an ad-lib...from the heart.

I hope someone is going through all of her pastors words looking for everything misogynistic, racist, anti-Semitic like they did with Obama's pastor.

Posted by: thebob.bob | September 5, 2008 12:08 AM

and sorry piggies..

i didn't mean to disrespect any of you with the palin analogy.

the pigs say, "oh man.. you really hurt us! never, never, never, compare us nice, intelligent pigs to a palin woman! that's the ultimate insult for a pig!"

okay. never again. my apologies.

the pigs, "thanks man. stay cool."

you too...

Posted by: Marcus Welby MD | September 4, 2008 10:00 PM

it's true. you can put lipstick on a pitbull and it's a hockey mom.

but here is where the redneck mamma is wrong.

if you put lipstick on a palin woman, they are still disgusting pigs... just disgusting pigs with lipstick.

Posted by: Marcus Welby MD | September 4, 2008 9:55 PM

Finally some hard hitting journalism! THIS will be the undoing of the Republican ticket! Oh I'm sure of it!

Nice try, give us a break

Posted by: Eureka! | September 4, 2008 9:23 PM

sarah palin is george bush in drag

Posted by: fallax | September 4, 2008 8:42 PM

They say your sense of humor is the first thing to go as you move to the left!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 8:40 PM

Recycled or not, Sarah Palin delivered it very well, and paid ode to the hockey moms in the audience who were there to support her.

Posted by: Kelly | September 4, 2008 8:38 PM

What's the difference from a smug close-minded liberal internet poster and brain dead zombie?

Yeah. Can't think of one either.

Keep at it though, kids, one day you'll get to Junior High School Humor.

Posted by: Oooh. I can play | September 4, 2008 8:30 PM

McBane:

ALL Christians believe in the return of out Savior and the end of this world.

Posted by: JakeD | September 4, 2008 8:27 PM

What's the difference between Fussball (in the US = soccer) players & pit bulls? None, none use lipstick? Joke...

Hockey moms & pit bulls in Alaska? 99% of "hockey moms" (in Alaska & elsewhere USA) drive their kids & then sit on cold benches, game after game - cellulose here we come! I suggest hockey moms tell their kids to drive themselves to the arena & then go for a jog without the kids.

Was it W.C.Fields who commented: "someone who hates dogs & kids can't be ... all bad?

Posted by: hadeze | September 4, 2008 8:26 PM

Unbelievable that the media and/or the public thinks that the origin of a joke is newsworthy. GET A LIFE, PEOPLE!!! Or at least determine what is and what is not worthy of your time and attention.

Really sad.

Posted by: JackESpratt | September 4, 2008 8:25 PM

I guess liberals don't tell jokes they elect them

Posted by: lighthorse67 | September 4, 2008 8:24 PM

I'm even more scared of her now, knowing that she reads Hagee. Does she believe the end of the world is coming, like him? Will she try to fulfill the prophecy, given the chance?

Posted by: McBain | September 4, 2008 8:21 PM

That's a very old joke. You can find variations of it in dozens of joke books on the shelves at any Barnes & Noble.

Posted by: BAMC | September 4, 2008 8:21 PM

Only old fart right wingers and young neocon geeks would find that stupid joke funny. It was sexist (not to be confused with sexy). Does she have charisma? You betcha. Do I hate her because she is a small minded political neophyte? No. I hate her because she is beautiful. LOL. No one in America I care about is falling for this BS. I don't know who these fools on the "Innernets" are who are raving about her, but everyone I know is like, "Whaaa?"

Posted by: Doodle | September 4, 2008 8:11 PM

Does anybody think it's striking that we haven't seen Sarah Palin and Dick Cheney together in the same room? Hmmmmmmmmm -- could be Dick's big plot to get a third term!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 8:10 PM

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Dick Cheney?

Posted by: Lipstick | September 4, 2008 8:06 PM

BUT WILL THE ELECTION EVEN MATTER? Not when government-supported "vigilante injustice" squads are "gang stalking" American citizens, making a mockery of the rule of law:

WHAT IF THEY COULD SHOOT YOU
WITHOUT LEAVING A TRACE? THEY CAN.

Posted by: scrivener | September 4, 2008 7:53 PM

Yeah, I caught that rip-off line. I had just read Hagee's remark a few days ago, so it was fresh in my mind. I would also like to point out that they've been accusing the media (and public) of sexism... so I don't think using a sexist punchline is setting a good example. Had anyone else said that Palin was like a pit bull with lipstick, the McCain camp would have gone ballistic.

Posted by: DogBitez | September 4, 2008 7:52 PM

Sarah Palin’s rapid elevation from small town mayor to candidate for national office to revered deity, has got me asking if conservatives aren’t taking a bit too much of the savior in mass (or smoking crack). The hyperbole exceeds satire...

Posted by: ES | September 4, 2008 7:52 PM

Stefan:

She was not QUOTING Rev. Wright. Next canard?

Posted by: JakeD | September 4, 2008 7:52 PM

Who cares where that joke came from? It wasn't funny at all because no dog is as cruel and unfeeling as she is.

Posted by: June S. | September 4, 2008 7:49 PM

I never once thought we will be getting another VP candidate who will be on the phone trying to the various branches of government trying purge people who disagree or not "yes sir/madam". Is this is the new criteria to be elected VP on a republican ticket?

Ec

Posted by: ec | September 4, 2008 7:48 PM

It's a joke people. Lighten up. Or are you really saying no one should repeat a joke???

Posted by: Deb from NC | September 4, 2008 7:48 PM

Yeah, she could have used something more original, like "my carbon footprint is really small -- I only go around on my flying broomstick". That way she could have also avoided insulting the pit bulls which are, in general, a genuinely adorable breed.

Posted by: Pitbull Admirer | September 4, 2008 7:42 PM

Correction, pit bulls can be nice. Sarah Palin is just an attack dog.
I used to respect John McCain, even if I didn't agree with his politics. But no more. He has sold his soul for ambition, and I am saddened and shocked.

Couldn't John McCain find ANYONE better than this creature? She is a venom-spewing, book burning, liar. She lied about her stance against the Bridge to Nowhere. And do you know that Alaska never gave back that $223 million. She is a queen of pork and she knows it. I cannot believe John McCain would pick someone who sits on a state crammed to the top with pork barrel projects.

And to her personally. How can she have so little regard for her 17 year old pregnant daughter (nice job humiliating her on the international stage) and her 4 month old child (Down's syndrome children often have suppressed respiratory systems and she is dragging him all over the country exposing him to all kinds of germs). If she treats her own family this way, what would she do to the American public?

Posted by: Ann | September 4, 2008 7:42 PM

When Joe Biden "borrows" like this the Republicans call it "plagiarism" for decades.

Posted by: Stefan A. | September 4, 2008 7:40 PM

I do not know and certainly do not care where the lipstick comment came from.

But I can assure you of one thing, it was not stolen from Kodak Cameras like
"this is your moment" was!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 7:39 PM

I've got another saying. You can put crap in a pretty bag or you can put crap in a plain bag and you can put crap in a blue bag or a pink bag, but it's still a bag of crap. She still = Bush =McCain=nutcase far right.

Posted by: majorteddy | September 4, 2008 7:39 PM

What's wrong with retelling a funny joke? It's the delivery that makes a good joke, and she nailed that.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 7:38 PM

Mabye Palin cheated with Hagee when she cheated on her husband?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 7:20 PM

That joke is so old it has dinosaur poop on it.

Posted by: Sara B. | September 4, 2008 7:19 PM