The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Conventions

No Charges for McCain Speech Protestors

Note: Please upgrade your Flash plug-in to view our enhanced content.

By Paul Kane
ST. PAUL -- Joanna Burgos, spokeswoman for the Republican National Convention, said late Thursday night that the demonstrators protesting John McCain's position on the war inside the RiverCentre were not arrested.

They had their convention credentials removed and were escorted from the building but did not face criminal charges because of their First Amendment rights.

"They didn't break any laws; they only broke the rules of the convention," Burgos said.
Such actions inside the halls of Congress are considered a felony for disrupting the federal government.

Posted at 11:51 AM ET on Sep 5, 2008  | Category:  Conventions
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: No Direct Attack from Clinton on Palin -- Yet | Next: Washington Sketch: The Eastern Media Elite

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Does anyone else feel like we are kinda screwed this go-around?

Posted by: Andrew | September 5, 2008 4:00 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
No, in fact Obama and McCain are very agreeable choices compared to what we endured.

I think things are quite hopeful, some possibilities are more hopeful than others.

Posted by: Richard Rosenthal | September 6, 2008 4:42 PM

Karen- Would that be CORN ethanol that Obama supported in Cheney's Bill?

Karen how efficient is corn vs sugar cane ethanol?

Answer- Corn ethanol require 1 unit of petroleum for every unit it replaces and is 7 times less efficient than sugar cane ethanol, WHICH McCAIN SUPPORTS!

BUT Obama owes it to Illinois farmers to push global warming and HIGHER FOOD PRICES, right?

Posted by: Scott | September 6, 2008 4:34 PM

It turns out, according to a news show on PBS, that people were beaten up and arrested (on the street right outside the convention) - not just protesters, but also journalists who were filming the protests.

Details at this link - scroll down to the last item: http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/435/index.html

Pretty sobering.

Posted by: fromnj | September 6, 2008 11:49 AM

Pastor123

What's the scoop on Ted Kennedy and the Dem party putting the Chappaquiddick coward up as an icon.

Isn't that a hundred times more important than what a man did 22 years ago?

Posted by: JimH in Colorado | September 6, 2008 12:32 AM

MSNBC is sometimes a bunch a frothing at the mouth liberals without an original thought. If they gave out the passes, they should be fined. Their coverage is to the left of Larry King and he's only got 1 finger on this planet.

Sarah Palin will be the best friend Israel ever had. Most Messianics and many Christian churches are 100% pro Israel. As Avi Lipkin says "Christians are not Israels best friend, they are Israel's only friend."

Posted by: JimH in Colorado | September 6, 2008 12:26 AM

Is it true that MSN provided their passes to get in?

Posted by: Deb | September 5, 2008 11:49 PM

Here is the REAL reason why McCain chose Palin. He has no shame... Check it out of you are into religious stuff. It's a pretty unique perspective.

Posted by: LaRae | September 5, 2008 9:59 PM

obama a stealth candidate with radical associations 20 years with racist church and crazy pastor wright. Anti-american wife convicted criminal rezko Islam farrakhan biggest racists jackson & sharpton list goes on

in short a risky choice by Dems and a sure lost ticket this fall

Posted by: Michael | September 5, 2008 9:31 PM

Palin Manchurian Candidate

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 9:30 PM

Palin = Manchurian Candidate
the amount of programing is crazy somebody cut her stings

Mc Same has no details

Posted by: nate | September 5, 2008 9:16 PM

McCain wasn't even born in this country. Why is he eligible to run for president? Have we all forgotten our Constitution? I think he actually has a secret agenda for his home country of Panama.

Posted by: Rob H | September 5, 2008 8:48 PM

Don't you know that mentally challenged folks are never charged. Some of them were behaving as if they were brought up on streets by their parents

Posted by: Michael | September 5, 2008 6:09 PM

Mentally challenged are never charged for their act :) I saw that some of them behaved like they were brought up on street.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 6:08 PM

What a choice Americans have for their President ... Machine Gun - McCain & the Eskimo, or a Black Muslim who's wife & Preacher hate our country & a running mate with diarrhea of the mouth. In 4 years I hope the Nations Press does a better job of selecting our leaders ?

Posted by: SadAmerican | September 5, 2008 5:53 PM

MCCAIN VOTES AGAINST VETS

YOU CAN'T WIN AN OCCUPATION

Posted by: TXCourtney | September 5, 2008 4:55 PM

You do not give a voice to someone who dosen't obey the rules.
Obama will learn this with some experance.

Posted by: experance | September 5, 2008 4:05 PM

I keep thinking how nice change in Washington could/would be. I am a realist however, and I know that it is IMPOSSIBLE for the kind of change being offered by Obama to take place. I think McCain is a war maniac, and that makes me a little nervous. I do not agree on most points with the democratic party, as I do not support gay marrige, gun control, easy immigration laws, complete open abortion rights, and some other touchy issues out there today.

However empty talk from Obama out weighs my fear of what McCain would do with the country.

This election is scary for me. As I personally feel niether party has offered us a great canidate. I hope God continues to bless this country. I love the Land Of The Free.

Does anyone else feel like we are kinda screwed this go-around?

Posted by: Andrew | September 5, 2008 4:00 PM

AlexP1 is doing a good job peddling propaganda from the Obama campaign. It's true, in a sense - in a sense that the people who he accuses of being lobbyists were lobbyists... at one time, the correct term for them now is former lobbyist, you know much like Obama's campaign employs in it's staff as well.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 3:33 PM

non-fascist: given your statements, you must be incredibly disturbed by the Obama camps intimidation/bullying tactics against local radio stations that aired non-Obama-approved propaganda.

You want to see fascism? Disagree with an Obama cultist.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 3:29 PM

Obo08 - you gave me a good chuckle there at your false premise.

Right-wing protesters at the Obama acceptance speech would have been boo'd and jeered by the crowd just like these Code Pink wackos.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 3:26 PM

"Given that, in the artificial bubble that is politics, Sen. McCain never was punished for pocketing $112,000 in bribes from Charles Keating - nor for peddling influence - bribes which he did not report to the IRS, it would have been hypocritical for people to be charged with lesser offenses at his annointing. "

Except for the fact that he was cleared of all charges by a DEMOCRAT commitee I'd say you're right on the money.

Posted by: Joe | September 5, 2008 3:26 PM

Even Hitler would blush at all the nationalism.

Posted by: Non Fascist | September 5, 2008 3:11 PM

Even Hitler would blush at all the nationalism.

Posted by: Non Fascist | September 5, 2008 3:11 PM

Tim,
If they were protestors at the DEM's convention, President Obama would allow them to speak just like he did at one of his rallys. They would not be escorted and man handled like the lady protestor last night. Instead of being sarcastic McSame could have asked the lady to speak.
McSame/Painfull not for the people.
President Obama for the people who want to move forward and not stuck in the past.

Posted by: ob08 | September 5, 2008 1:36 PM

Dear Anonymous at 1:02 PM:

Maybe I should start "Old Guys for Obama"!

Heehee.

:-)

Posted by: toritto | September 5, 2008 1:17 PM

Ghee, a partisan Republican has finally made the right decision; both parties made their points ending in a draw. Nice touch to the convention's closing night.

Posted by: Lou R | September 5, 2008 1:13 PM

An Awesome post that must be spread.......

Simcha wrote:
I don't work for a party," McCain said. "I don't work for a special interest. I don't work for myself. I work for you."

Let's break that down:

Don't work for a party: You voted nearly 95% of the time with a Republican president and then changed your views on off-shore drilling, you refused to vote for the new GI Bill (you didn't even bother to show up for the vote)and doing a 180 on many things that supposedly made you a maverick---is NOT working for a party?

No special interests aye? Phil Graham your chief economic advisor (even tho he's no longer listed on your campaign staff) is a lobbyist.....more than half of your campaign staff are Washington lobbyists.....some for Big Oil (which by the way has made huge contributions to your campaign--maybe the reason for the 180 on drilling?)But you don't work for "special interests"---you must mean the special interests of those Americans who pay their taxes and then find them being spent on special projects like the "bridge to nowhere". And by the way, your running mate.....She got 27 million for her little town in Alaska (she's definitely a good Republican) when she was mayor....she built her own little bridge to nowhere but it was a rail-line from her town to the ski slopes (a 15 million dollar project)! No special interests. I get it.

Work for Yourself?? You don't have to work for yourself. Someone who owns as much property as you do, who has the finacial stability that you do and who is still collecting tax-payer dollars in the form of pay....doesn't need to work for themselves! But ask any American about not working for themselves---they don't have a choice!

But you work for us. Really? Didn't you vote against the increase in the minimum wage and so many other things important to us? You keep voting to perpetuate an illegal and costly war in Iraq, telling US that we have to win something there...but never telling us what it is we win by staying and offering more American lives up on the altar to the OIL god! The surge is working but the Iraqis want us O-U-T. They actually have wanted us out for several years but nobody's been listening or reporting it until recently. So you are working for us....but you are not paying one bit of attention to what WE want. Last I looked, we're still a democracy---that means you do work for us because WE are the government. You are just OUR representative (or at least the representative elected by your constituents based on the amount of money you have in order to run a successful campaign.)

No, it would seem you don't work for us...you're record tells us that and you had 26 years to change Washington....that should tell YOU something. It certainly tells US something!

9/5/2008 12:54:21 PM

Posted by: AlexP1 | September 5, 2008 1:03 PM

"I'm an old retired guy and I can honestly say it won't matter to me in the long run who wins this election. I do believe however that the current administration has been the worst in my lifetime (born during FDR).

If "small town working class" rust-belt voters in Ohio, Pa., Michigan and Indiana help re-elect the GOP then I don't want to hear anymore whinng from them about their disappearing jobs and livlihoods, the high cost of college and gas, lack of health care etc. Let Johnnie's "patriotism" put food on your table.

Screw 'um. Cling to your guns and religion. Pray to Jesus when you go hunting for a meal. You will deserve what you get.

I got mine already. I live comfortably in the sunny south on a golf course, got my steady income, my "socialist" medicare and prescription drug coverage. We won't run out of gas before I go and the planet won't get too hot.

As Johnny Carson used to say - I upped my lifestyle - up yours!

God helps those who help themselves - if you're in deep doodoo economically and you vote Republican for their "values", you deserve it."

LOL. I wish more people thought like this guy. Vote McCain for religious values like gay marriage and abortion. Vote for Obama if you want to be able to pay for your kid's marriage or if you want the ability to take care of a child and not use abortion.

"When [abortions] are criminal, only criminals will have [abortions]."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 1:02 PM

As Johnny Carson used to say - I upped my lifestyle - up yours!

Posted by: toritto | September 5, 2008 12:55 PM

"RJ in LV,

Our constitution allows all americans to have freedom.

You have freedom to bash the people who don't follow your beliefs.

You do NOT have freedom to take away the freedom of other Americans just because you believe you are correct.

These people include:

Choice
Gay/Lesbian
Religion

So lets make gay marriage and abortion illegal ONLY if we make loud mouth, PREACHING illegal as well.

What is fair is fair."

While we are at it, why not complete return to a Monarchy where one person denotes what everyone else should think and do. What was the point of the Constitution if people like you still want to take away the rights of other people?

If you do not like abortion or gay marriage, BUY AND ISLAND AND MAKE YOUR OWN GOVERNMENT. America doesn't need people who want to return the country to the days of "taxation without representation."

Posted by: Beat down | September 5, 2008 12:53 PM

Now I have heard it all in this election cycle. Someone quoted Lyndon LaRouche. Heck, I didn't even know that he was even still alive.

Posted by: Greg from Indiana | September 5, 2008 12:49 PM

"If that had been Obama speech protesters, they would have been beaten up and arrested."

Because you are the prophet who knows everything that could have happened.

Let me try:

If McCain had would have come out for a withdrawal from Iraq timetable, Americans would not think that he is a warmonger idiot.

Guess we will never know.

Posted by: Tim | September 5, 2008 12:47 PM

To paster123, the article is referring to the women in the River Centre last night protesting the war during McCain's speech, not the marchers outside the convention center earlier in the day.

Posted by: fremo1975 | September 5, 2008 12:42 PM

RJ in LV,

Our constitution allows all americans to have freedom.

You have freedom to bash the people who don't follow your beliefs.

These people include:

Choice
Gay/Lesbian
Religion

What is fair is fair.

Posted by: Tim | September 5, 2008 12:42 PM

Posted by: AsperGirl | September 5, 2008 12:40 PM

"jamie,

I'll tell you who.........

aetheists
homosexuals
killers of unborn children
anarchists
better than best academaians
judicial activists
america haters
stoner-zombies
and others midly disoriented by their dillusions

Guess that's going to be many millions of us! No wonder, people around the world think we're weak and stupid...

Have a great Day!"

We are "weak and stupid" because people like you are allowed to express their opinions.

Posted by: Tim | September 5, 2008 12:38 PM

jamie,

I'll tell you who.........

aetheists
homosexuals
killers of unborn children
anarchists
better than best academaians
judicial activists
america haters
stoner-zombies
and others midly disoriented by their dillusions

Have a great Day!

Posted by: RJ in LV | September 5, 2008 12:37 PM

"Jared Bernstein, economist at the Economics Policy Institute in Washington, said eight months of consecutive job losses had historically signaled that the economy was in a recession.

“If anyone is still scratching their head over that one, they can stop,” Mr. Bernstein said. "

I still dont think the GOP will wake up and smell the recession.

Posted by: Tim | September 5, 2008 12:37 PM

I still dont think the GOP will wake up and smell the recession.

Posted by: Tim | September 5, 2008 12:37 PM

We get it!

"Biden: castrated by his own party during the '88 convention, for politics outside of party ideals

Obama: sits in a church for 20 years listening to hate speech

Tell me, who in the heck would vote for this garbage?"

Me. And anyone else that pays attention to the facts that really matter.

Posted by: Tim | September 5, 2008 12:32 PM

U.S. Attacks on Pakistani Territory Continue
Increase Decrease

September 5, 2008 (LPAC)--The inability of the George Bush adminstration to learn from its own strategic errors--such as the support for the British-led toppling of the Musharaf government in Pakistan--was demonstrated again today. A drone deployed by the U.S.-led ISAF forces in Afghanistan, fired several missiles into Pakistani territory today, in North Waziristan. The missiles hit a house, reportedly killing at least three children and wounding several women, according to local television reports. Some reports are saying that those killed were Talibani militants, and Army spokesman Major-General Athar Abbas said they are investigating the incidents.

As Lyndon LaRouche pointed out yesterday, the destabilization of Pakistan is the key British target at this time. Internal Pakistani reports are emphasizing the killing of civilians, and the entire situation is further isolating the Pakistani Army, a key national institution, and fostering internal dissension.

This strike was the third in three days on the Pakistani area bordering Afghanistan, following the raid on Sept. 3 conducted by U.S. forces, in which some 15-20 were killed. That attack was severely condemned by the Pakistani government and Parliament. Yesterday, another drone attack reportedly killed five militants in Pakistan

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 12:32 PM

Posted by: Repost Truth | September 5, 2008 12:31 PM

We get it!

Obama: sits in a church for 20 years listening to hate speech

Tell me, who in the heck would vote for this garbage?

Posted by: jamie | September 5, 2008 12:30 PM

****

Joey B and Barry Who?

jd

****

Posted by: Johnny Democracy | September 5, 2008 12:26 PM

****

Joey B and Barry Who?

jd

****

Posted by: Johnny Democracy | September 5, 2008 12:26 PM

Right on Deep Blue

Posted by: MrMe | September 5, 2008 12:13 PM

I cant believe there is no charges>>? I seen those guys on the news., they were kicking cops and pushing knocking cops down. thats crazy. Well I guess they expect that kind of thing now adays.

Posted by: pastor123 | September 5, 2008 12:05 PM

Posted by: pastor123 | September 5, 2008 12:04 PM

Sarah Palin is the new Obama, The new most famous person in the world. Uh Oh, Wonder if she is a
Muslim too? Or worse, the anti-christ?

This site has background info on sarah Palin Bio Pics Videos http://www.theveep.com

This site has everything about her scandals and Levi BF of her daughter http://www.hotpres.com

This site has the inside scoop about the Palin Dui Secret http://www.duihelpguide.com

Its all about Palin for the next few weeks. It might be a bad thing that she is more Popular then McCain.

Posted by: pastor123 | September 5, 2008 12:03 PM