The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Barack Obama

Obama Attacks McCain on Regulation, Lobby Ties

Updated 6:37 p.m.
By Dan Balz
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Barack Obama unloaded on John McCain this morning at a rally in Daytona Beach.

The Democratic presidential nominee used McCain's own words to attack him as an opponent of federal regulation of the banking industry, said his rival's support for partial privatization of Social Security could jeopardize retirement security for many Americans and fought back on the question of which candidate has closer ties to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Speaking at Bethune-Cookman University at an event highlighting his campaign's efforts to appeal to women voters, Obama invoked the current financial crisis by taking aim at an article carrying McCain's name in the current issue of Contingencies magazine, published by the American Academy of Actuaries.

In it, McCain wrote, "Opening up the health insurance market to more vigorous nationwide competition, as we have done over the last decade in banking, would provide more choices of innovative products less burdened by the worst excesses of state-based regulation."

"So let me get this straight -- he wants to run health care like they've been running Wall Street," Obama told the audience. "Well, Senator, I know some folks on Main Street who aren't going to think that's such a good idea."

McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds called the citation of the article a red herring. "If Barack Obama thinks that today's financial troubles were caused by the ability of Americans to use an ATM anywhere in this country, then he fundamentally misunderstands the gravity of the crisis we are in today," he said.

McCain has attacked Obama this past week for ties to former executives of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, including in two television ads. But he said it's McCain whose campaign is replete with current or former lobbyists for the mortgage giants. He cited comments by the former head of Fannie Mae's government relations office, who was quoted in Politico as saying, "When I see photographs of Sen. McCain's staff, it looks to me like the team of lobbyists who used to report to me."

"Folks," Obama said, "you can't make this stuff up."

On Social Security, Obama said, McCain's support for privatization would leave senior citizens at risk at a time when the stock market has plummeted. "I know Senator McCain is talking about a 'casino culture' on Wall Street -- but the fact is, he's the one who wants to gamble with your life savings and that is not going to happen when I'm president of the United States."

He said that if McCain had his way, "the millions of Floridians who rely on it would've had their Social Security tied up in the stock market this week," although McCain has not called for full privatization of the system.

Bounds accused Obama of not telling the truth. "John McCain is 100 percent committed to preserving Social Security benefits for seniors, and Barack Obama knows it," he said in an e-mail sent out while Obama was speaking. "This is a desperate attempt to gain political advantage using scare tactics and deceit."

Bounds pointed out that Obama has expressed support for government support for private accounts that would be an accompaniment to Social Security and said the Illinois senator's remarks were "a perfect demonstration of his willingness to ignore facts in favor of his own self-promotion."

Posted at 12:08 PM ET on Sep 20, 2008  | Category:  Barack Obama
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Obama Pushes Domestic Agenda to Boost Economy | Next: Women's Group Condemns NOW Endorsement of Obama

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I know that there is plenty of mud on those foreclosed lots to throw around on both sides of the aisle. And I was planning to take a hike down K Street to see if there wasn't an auction or something on a nice little place (hopefully lacking mud of course [I really was looking to sink my clutches into some of that green stuff]). But wow, when I read:

JulzCa | September 20, 2008 12:39 PM

I knew you had done your homework; really gotta hand it to you: Pay Dirt.

Posted by: glengish | September 23, 2008 10:29 AM

Jim: "The Associated Press, a leftist news outlet"

LOL. You right wing extremists would be hilarious if there weren't so many of you cheering the destruction of our country.

Posted by: Tim | September 22, 2008 3:58 PM

>>It's the son of a Democrat State Legislator from Tennessee.
Well, you knew it wasn't a Republican, it involved a computer. They'd have to hire Independent or a Democrat to do something like that.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 10:23 PM

I'm dreaming of a green Christmas
The US governments in my tank
The workers toil to buy my oil
and then they try to save my bank....
Heeheeheehee..

I'm planning for my green Christmas
as I look down from my leer jet.
the check is waiting.
your still debating?
what's a few more trillion into debt?

I'm talking about my green Christmas
to every poll who got my doe.
For a fat cash teet,
they'll talk real sweet.
The fix is in, if you don't know.

I imagine another green Christmas
hey, slash and burn is all I know.
It might end civilization across our nation
I guess we reap just what we sow....

I'm sorry about my green Christmas
to all the folks who'll get the bill
You already know who let this go
They sit up on Capitol Hill.

Posted by: dijetlo | September 21, 2008 10:14 PM

Barack's thoughful and measured response is certainly more presidential than the shoot first approach of McCain. I much prefer Obama's finger on the nuclear trigger than McCain's. Perhaps, McCain's "Bomb, bomb, bomb" reponse was an actual look into McCain's mind. Scary!

Posted by: Earl C | September 21, 2008 10:13 PM

Jim,

First of all, I condemn the hacking of any politician's private email account, including Sarah Palin's. I'm a liberal Democrat.

Second, I think you referred us to the wrong article. The Knoxnews story primarily casts doubt on your interpretation. Here's a typical paragraph:

> The evidence is tenuous. In fact, one of the first blogs to
> allege that the son of a Democratic politician was responsible
> relied on e-mail tips and described its evidence as “pretty
> thin.”

Could you please refer me to a story that supports your allegations?

-Jason S.

Posted by: jtiwald | September 21, 2008 10:11 PM

Well, leftist Democrats guess what? They found the person who hacked into Gov. Palin's personal email. It's the son of a Democrat State Legislator from Tennessee. The Democrat Legislator is also an Obama operative. The Democrat's son is currently being investigated by the FBI and Secret Service. You can find the article in knoxnews.com. Nowhere in the Washington Post, NY Times or LA Times do you see an article about "Hackergate". The Associated Press, a leftist news outlet, refused to cooperate with the FBI and Secret Service. I wonder why all these extreme leftist publications and news outlets are refusing to publish anything about this news item? Is it because they're trying to protect Obama? Any news about "Troopergate" is published, whether or not the information is true. Liberal Democrats are self righteous enough to believe that none of their kind can be involved in any felony. It's only Republicans who are felons. I hope that dad and son end up in prison for illegally hacking into Gov. Palin's personal email for along time. Obama said he would return to Chicago style politics. "Hackergate" is only the tip of the iceberg.

Posted by: Jim | September 21, 2008 9:58 PM

If we just hand over the keys to the treasury, these reprobates are never going to learn. It would send the wrong message (the UN inspectors finishing work in Iraq couldn't delay the start of hostilities, remember? "That would send the wrong message to dictators, the UNs endless appeasement!!!"). Loaning a them money sends the wrong message to our financial elites.
I think that letting the market take their money and referring them to the Walmart ***We're hiring!!*** kiosk when they ask "whatever shall we do?" sends just about the right message, don't you?
What's going to happen? People will loose faith in the system? Ha! Of course they will, look happened to "the system". If you still have faith in the US investment and banking system, it's because your an idiot.

Posted by: dijetlo | September 21, 2008 9:38 PM

I heard that the banks want their bail-out money in low denomination, unmarked, non-sequential bills placed beneath trash cans along the north side of central park. To quote from their ransom let....proposal " if we see a cop within twenty blocks, you'll get your economy back in a box!"
I think they are serious too, it's signed "The Heritage Foundation".

Posted by: dijetlo | September 21, 2008 9:22 PM

"The Democrat-led Congress has wasted two years on partisan bickering"
We elected the Dems to reverse the suicidal course set by the Republicans, only to find we haven't gotten rid of enough Republicans to achieve that goal. Fortunately, there is an election coming up, and by all indications the voters will be dealing with that problem in the near term.
"The future of the Social Security system and its financial solvency are at the core of the problem."
If that had been left up to the Republicans, our Social Security would have gone down the tubes supporting the banks over leveraged positions.
I guess the argument about funding Social Security is over. If we can borrow 10 trillion from the Chinese to save the wealthy from their own greed, I think we can float a bond or two for social security.
"They do not deserve to be reelected!"
They aren't the ones about to be sent home.
Hey, btw, got anything to say about your President taking a record number of vacation days in the years leading up to this debacle? It would seem that if Republicans would actually work as hard as they want the rest of us to work, a lot of this trouble could have been avoided.
Remember: Friends don't let friends vote conservative.

Posted by: dijetlo | September 21, 2008 9:14 PM

Why doesn't the ballot include a NO column so I could vote against who I don't want in office? The highest net yes wins. Why do I have to vote for someone to vote against another?

Posted by: Valjean1 | September 21, 2008 6:33 PM

"I said "Thanks, but no thanks" on that McCain/Palin ticket to destruction."

Posted by: silasporter | September 21, 2008 6:26 PM

I am a woman and I am voting for Obama. I also ask the women that are voting on gender to really consider the policies of the candidates. Voting on gender is as bad as voting on race. Just because a woman is on the ticket does not earn my vote. I voted for Hillary in the primary but she did not win. So I am voting for the candidate that most closely resembles my desires for policy.

Voting based on gender is the quintessential definition of sexism - bias based on gender. Isn't that what we have fought so hard against? Just because it's a woman doesn't make it okay. It's just an extreme pendulum shift in the other direction.

While I would like to see a woman in the white house, and I do believe it will happen in the not so distant future, I do not want that particular woman in the white house. Palin does not represent my desires for policy. I appreciate and even admire what she has accomplished for herself, but that alone does not earn my vote.

So if McCain and Palin do represent your desires for policy then by all means vote for them. But please reconsider this 'voting for a woman because she is a woman' stance. It does not help us.

Posted by: Jayne | September 21, 2008 5:42 PM

The Bush Adminstration is at it again. On the Wall Street bail-out Paulson had this to says:

1. No limits on executive salaries.

2. Subsiiaries of foreign banks in the United States are eligible.

3. No oversight or accountability to Congress except a report to Congress every six months.

4 Treasury decisions cannot be challenged in Courts.

5. Wall Steet will be hired to implement this bailout of banks.

Looks like another Wall Street scam. But you still need a few complict Democrats to have this pass Congress. Look for Senator Chuck Schummer (D-NY) to be one of them.

Posted by: Oscar | September 21, 2008 5:14 PM

Looking at the lead nationally Obama has with women lead me to believe the more educated part of our population is making the right call. Anyone that heard Palin laugh at a vile misogynist radio host call Lyda Green a B(female dog) and fat and then heard her say it would be an honor to see this moron is no feminist champion regardless of what she has accomplished.

Posted by: Jimbo | September 21, 2008 4:45 PM

58 States, You need a class in logic. Your thoughts lack it.

Posted by: jeffp | September 21, 2008 4:37 PM

"Palin a heartbeat away from the presidency?...
However, he can't care too much about its future if he is willing to have someone as inexperienced as Sarah Palin be a heartbeat away from the presidency he would begin to occupy at aged 72."

Might I remind you that McCain's mother is still not only alive but more with it than a lot of people half her age. Explain how this makes him so very likely to keel over the day he take the oath?

And more importantly, please repeat after me: Twenty Fifth Amendment.

IF she were to assume the presidency, a new VP would be selected. Why is it acceptable to rely on the experience of the VP to save Obama, but it's irrelevant in the *possibility* of a Palin administration?
Can't have it both ways.

Posted by: 58states | September 21, 2008 2:14 PM

Nice to see the koolaid is still potent as ever.

That's rich, Obama riffing McCain on connections. Jim Johnson? Raines? Penny Prizker? I'm sure the average american taxpayer would love to hear her story... how she can continue as a politically influential billionaire after her own banking messes. She's the national finance chair of Obama's campaign?!!? And he's attacking McCain????

If you think this is all the fault of the republicans, try looking at who has the most connections. Who takes the most wall street money.

And before you go calling me a rightwing nutjob, I considered myself a Dem and a liberal until this election and I've been counting down the Bush days in office. It's been an eye-opener that's for sure. It took a lot for the Dems to come up with a candidate that *I* can't support. I didn't think it was possible, but here we are.

How about Obama explains to us why he has taken more money from wall street in one term than nearly anyone else? Why he's relying on the likes of Raines, Johnson, and Pritzker for economic advice? Either his famous judgment actually sucks, or he's just another corrupt politician. Take your pick.

He's not squeaky clean and it's nauseating hearing him lie through his teeth to pretend he is.

There's a whole lot of brainwashing going on alright, but it ain't all coming from the right.

I only hope more ppl wake up and see the giant InfOmercial for what it is.

Posted by: 58states | September 21, 2008 2:08 PM

Privatize profits and socialize losses - the new economic plan for Palin/McCain's Jesuslandia.

Posted by: Roy | September 21, 2008 12:57 PM

McCain-Palin = Nixon-Agnew.

The McCain-Palin ticket is truly a bridge to nowhere!!!

Posted by: Martin Edwin Andersen | September 21, 2008 12:56 PM

News item: "Karzai Agrees To Meet With Palin" ...

Maybe Karzai can explain a little something to Palin about the reality of countries she cannot see from her back porch!

Posted by: Martin Edwin Andersen | September 21, 2008 12:55 PM

Palin a heartbeat away from the presidency?

No thanks!

John McCain may love this country.

Posted by: Martin Edwin Andersen | September 21, 2008 12:54 PM

In her acceptance speech, Sarah Palin approvingly quoted Westbrook Pegler, who among other things was a racist, an anti-semite and a fascist who advocated killing Robert F. Kennedy.

In Spanish, there is a phrase, "To s/he who understands, few words are needed."

Palin's literary choice speaks volumes about why her ignorance does not portend bliss for the American people and their ideals.

In this time of economic turndown, a moment when the search for scapegoats may be just around the corner, it might be wise to remember the words of author Sinclair Lewis, which hopefully will not turn out to be prophetic:

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.”

Posted by: Martin Edwin Andersen | September 21, 2008 12:53 PM

In reference to the Social Security, Sen. Obama should not use it to attack Sen. McCain. I would rather prefer that he points out the real culprit mainly the Democrat-led Congress. The Democrat-led Congress has wasted two years on partisan bickering instead of resolving issues that we all are concerned about. The future of the Social Security system and its financial solvency are at the core of the problem. Yet, the Democrat-led Congress has done nothing in this regards. I hope that the American people will remember it on November 4th. It is time to clean up the Congress. Democrats have been in control for two years now and have done nothing (not much?, very little?, something else?) They do not deserve to be reelected!

Posted by: Wiel | September 21, 2008 12:39 PM

LOL, John McCain is funnier, in real life watch funny mccain spoof video clips of McCain himself. Now those are halarious.

Posted by: pastor123 | September 21, 2008 12:07 PM

Does anyone really know where McCain stands on anything from day to day? The only thing I know is that McCain spews out a lot of "My friends". Also, his remembrances as a POW are really overworked.

Posted by: Oscar | September 21, 2008 11:44 AM

The yes only ballot restricts my freedom of expression. There needs to be a NO column so I can vote as persuaded by negative ads without having to vote for the one attacking. The highest net yes wins. I'll wager turnout would increase considerably. And it could teach candidates that negative campaigning was not productive in gaining votes for themselves.

Posted by: Valjean1 | September 21, 2008 11:09 AM

"Fed Closes Silver State Bank. McCain's Son Andrew Resigns"

Andrew K. McCain, a son of Republican presidential nominee John McCain, sat on the boards of Silver State Bank and of its parent, Silver State Bancorp, starting in February but resigned in July citing "personal reasons," corporate filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission show. Andrew McCain also was a member of the bank's audit committee, responsible for oversight of the company's accounting.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 9:57 AM

Isn`t McCains Son (Andrew) involved in a Banking Scandal in Arizona, in which the Fed is investigating on the grounds of fraud? I still remember the Keating five.

The apple doesn't fall to far from the tree!

McCain / Palin = Unstable / Unable!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 9:24 AM

Posted by: brock101 | September 21, 2008 9:22 AM

to all McCain blindly supporters:
You voted for Bush 8 and 4 years ago.
You helped bring our country to this mess.
Now, now you want to completely destroy it.
Still not wake up ?
not see McCain lies ?

I'd rather shot myself.

Posted by: dieInPain | September 21, 2008 8:21 AM

Considering that from the period of 1989

to 2008 Obaby was the #2 recipient of

donations from Fannie/Freddie Pacs, he has

NO room to talk. He is #2 although he was

in the Senate for only 3 years!! Who's

going to listen to the biggest hypocrite

in the US who was being paid off by Fannie

Mae and Freddie Mac? Barry is a bad joke.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 7:38 AM

Does America want a President who is academically accomplished? Or does it want another dud. If America picks another dud, then this great country will have a third world economy.

Obama...Top of the class
McCain...Bottom of the class
Obama...Naturally bright
McCain...Not so bright
Obama...Won his party's nomination at 47
McCain...Won him party's nomination at 72
Obama...Good Judgement against the War
McCain...Bad Judgement for the War
Obama...Great VP choice
McCain...Insults America with his VP Choice
Obama...Wants to debate the issues
McCain...Relies greatly on telling LIES

Posted by: Solomon | September 21, 2008 4:05 AM

McCain is now getting called out for all the reversals he has taken in this campaign.
Eight years ago, when he ran for president, he didn't cave in on long-held positions as he has done this time.
But in 2000, he took such a drubbing, he realized early in the primary that he couldn't compete with the abusive GWB campaign.
This time around, after failing to gain traction (during his desperate summer of 2007, he realized that he couldn't continue down the road carrying those long-held positions or he would lose again), he began to reverse them and began to gain some attention on the campaign trail.
His current campaign operatives have told him to say anything, do anything to get elected, in order to target specific voting blocs.
Once he's elected, it's obvious he believes he can then revert to the issues he REALLY wants to pursue.
So the signals of this transforming transformation are subtle, but the collection of lobbyists leading his campaign is one signal.
Obama is focusing on McCain's current polidy statements.
McCain has got to be confused; first he says one thing, then he says another.
It's hard to keep up with his shifting positions.
He sways like a yo-yo across the landscape of issues.
His soul is for sale -- that is evident.
He's a sad shadow of his former Senate record.
There is only one candidate who has the stature and integrity to lead this country out of the morass in which GWB has sunk our ship of state.
McCain is clueless; he's more McSame.
Obama/Biden '08 is the only credible solution.
For the good of our country and its future, vote for Barack Obama & Joe Biden.
They can restore this nation.

Posted by: Judy-in-TX | September 21, 2008 3:58 AM

Obama has tapped into two pools of hatred:

resentment by white 25 year olds who now
see the world is not what their parents told them it would be and they are not getting the dream jobs they thought they would:

and reverse racism of Obama supporters.

Obama is becoming a more dangerous option that anyone thought.

This combination of hatreds will cause severe civil disruptions in the the current deep economic downturn.

The idea of an Obama presidency is not a happy one.

Posted by: JohnAdams1 | September 21, 2008 3:31 AM

Barack Obama for President!

Joe Biden is a Statesman who believes in Change and together with Barack Obama they will get things done.

Elect Barack Obama for President!

Posted by: michelle | September 21, 2008 12:55 AM

Yep, McCain is not for privatization of Social Security, oh, except for what he said in 2004:

"Without privatization, I don't see how you can possibly, over time, make sure that young Americans are able to receive Social Security benefits," McCain declares at a December 2004 event in New Hampshire.

"Americans have got to understand that we are paying present day retirees with the taxes paid by young workers in American today. And that's a disgrace. It's an absolute disgrace and it's got to be fixed," he declared on the campaign trail this year.

McCain lying now? that's a shock

Posted by: gschwartz | September 21, 2008 12:51 AM

Want more of the SAME? Vote for McCain!

- American's for Obama.

Posted by: Donny | September 20, 2008 11:06 PM

Posted by: scrivener | September 20, 2008 10:10 PM

The Republicans wan't to privatize Social Security but they socialized Wall Street so it's like they did'nt privatize it at all.

Republicans = Liberals.

Posted by: ANGRY | September 20, 2008 9:41 PM

I LOVE it! The liberals blog that it's OK to tell lies when you're Obama because it's "a dose of their own medicine." Anyway you slice it, it's hypocrisy, double-talk, lies, and fascist Nazis.

Posted by: TommyF | September 20, 2008 9:22 PM

Obama accuses McCain of privatizing Social Security, and risking senior citizens' money. FACTCHECK in Newsweek called that a WHOPPER of a lie. Where is the Washington Post? Oh yeah, on their knees in front of Obama.

Posted by: TommyF | September 20, 2008 9:20 PM

The reason the "Bush" stimulus checks helped a little bit is that they were a deniable form of wealth redistribution. The reason wealth needs to be redistributed is because it was previously distributed incorrectly. In the most basic sense, we need people who provide useful goods and services, not extra middlemen leeches like the devoted "free marketer" Ken Lay and his ilk in finacial services. We pay at least three times too little for real productivity, and far to much to parasitic financial institutions and C.E.O.s with idealogue friends like Bush, McCain, and Palin, who are indebted to their financial contributors and friends with their lobbyists.
The markets are falling apart because the manufacturing base has been destroyed and because the oligarchs are running out of ways to fleece us.
Don't believe the manipulative B.S. about the inability to sustain vital entitlement programs. When social security was implemented, the dependent population far exceeded the working population. (if you include the children), and it worked great.
Entitlemant money mostly stays in the U.S economy and returns to the people who deserve it most.
You're far more likely to lose your freedom through enslavement to debt, by trusting republicans, than you are to socialism or communism.

Posted by: Charles | September 20, 2008 8:32 PM

REGULATE WOMEN'S BODIES

DEREGULATE WALL STREET AND BANKERS

ONLY WOMEN NEED RULES AND REGULATION

COPORATIONS ARE perfect ANGELS

Posted by: gop-coolaide | September 20, 2008 8:12 PM

If Republicans don't like government regulation of business, they should all move to China, where business is more important than the welfare people or the environment.

Posted by: hamishdad | September 20, 2008 8:05 PM

pRoTeCT MOOSEHUNTERS

KILL POLAR BEARS

DIPSTICK/LIPSTICK 08

Social Security is having enough gold to bribe the border guard......

Posted by: polluteme | September 20, 2008 8:04 PM

DIPSTICK/LIPSTICK 08

SAFE THE FILTHY RICH

Posted by: dickcheneyisacorruptliar | September 20, 2008 8:01 PM

BRAVO! To Obama for giving McCain and his sidekick a good dose of their own medicine! These sleazy Rovian Republicans thought they were the only Crap Slingers on the block. It's the only language they understand and respond to. They act sort of like "PITBULLS with LIBSTICK!"

Posted by: Johann Wagener | September 20, 2008 7:54 PM

Voting for McCain/Palin is rewarding the GOP for the last 8 years.

If you loved George Bush then you will love McCain/Palin...but if your actually one of the 70% of America that realizes what a disaster George Bush was, well you probably wont vote for more of the same.

Vote Democrat, Green, or Libertarian, but dont reward Republicans for what they have done to this country!

Posted by: Marc | September 20, 2008 7:32 PM

If Gov. Palin is innocent and did everything correctly, can someone tell me this? She says she saw the child tasered. As one of the chief law enforcement officers in AK, why did she not report that crime? She did -- over ONE MONTH LATER. Is that not dereliction of duty on her part?

I guess I would believe her claims more if SHE did something about it. Instead, she waited till the divorce proceedings did not go the way she wanted, THEN reported the tasering. THAT to me smacks of abuse of office. That is not to say what the officer did was correct - it definitely sounds like it was not. But neither was how the tasering didn't bother her until she could use it to get at the trooper in a way the divorce judge did not allow.

Posted by: kate | September 20, 2008 6:29 PM

McCain is the phoniest politician I have seen so far. I've started to think that most of his claims about his heroism in Vietnam are false also. In the past few months, and ever since the RNC convention McCain has became so desperate that his tactics are way beyond what Karl Rove uses. Even Karl Rove is surprised at what he sees in McCain's ad. So McBush III is going to be worse than Bush Jr. His deregulation work in the senate in the 80s to help his buddy Keating brought the Lincoln Savings & Loans to its knees and the tax payers had to bail it out with $170 Billion. Now we have the whole financial market in turmoil and all McBush has to say is he wants to privatize Social Security also. While McBush does not depend on social security for his own retirement, he sees a goldmine in other's retirement money to be squandered by privatization. He takes the American public to be fools. It is of course true that less government is better in some cases. But the reduction has to first start with getting rid of McBush from the senate and don't let him get anywhere close to the U.S. government. Let him be a private citizen. We need no McPresident.

Posted by: No McPhony | September 20, 2008 6:18 PM

peterg"
"All of these bums are corrupt. It is the only explanation for this mess."

The mess started in the 1980's with deregulation and was topped off with low interest rates at the start of this decade which set the stage.

We now live mostly in a an irresponsible, indulged, anything goes generation. This same prevailing attitude from politicians, financial lenders, and home buyers has wreaked havoc for everyone in America. Everyone pays for the greed, indulgent ways, and stupidity of their sorry a--es.

The deal now before Congress and the Senate is for the Government to buy risky mortgages from any financial institution in trouble. To the taxpayers this is estimated to be more than $2,000 for each man, woman, and child in America. To be added to the national debt with bonds sold mainly to China and Japan, when they already own enough of our debt to destroy us financially at their whim.

Since the character of those responsible for the above causes the problem, then who has the cleaner background required to clean up the mess, McCain or Obama. Although McCain is not perfect, I submit that Obama falls far short due to his past relationships and actions.

Posted by: Billw | September 20, 2008 5:48 PM

Enough with the trying to blame Obama or McCain for the mortgage meltdown. This is a massive failure by the government; republicans, democrats, and independents. The american people are getting screwed here. Where are the hearings? Why aren't people in jail. Forget about Obama or McCain. If you want to vote a guy 3 years out of the state senate to that position, whatever. Just make sure every other name you recognize on the ballot you vote against. All of these bums are corrupt. It is the only explanation for this mess.

Posted by: peterg | September 20, 2008 5:40 PM

Ron Sampson:
"Senator Obama speaks the truth"

No he lies, and so do you cowboy.

Posted by: Jack The Ripper | September 20, 2008 5:38 PM

Obama is just 'shot gunning' lies in the hope that something, "Oh God please I am losing", anything might stick to avoid the facts that he will soon be forced to face. He is running scared over a rising tide of problems. One of these is the upcomming investigation into violating the Logan Act.

Under the “Logan Act” (now codified at Section 953 of the federal penal code) it has been against the law since the late 18th century for U.S. citizens to carry on “intercourse with any foreign government” that is aimed either “to defeat the measures of the United States” or to influence the foreign government’s dealings with the United States. Being a senator is no immunity from this statute - as any Republican senator would find out in a hurry if he dared to pull a stunt like this during an Obama administration. "

This is why Obama will be investigated for his violation of the Logan Act.

Posted by: Tunes59 | September 20, 2008 5:37 PM

so "anonymous" has his panties in a bunch because President Obama's campaign took a token donation from somebody who works at Fannie Mae. Big deal- nobody outside of the administration knew the scope of their issues until a week or two ago. A far less offensive contributor than the nazis like the Heritage Foundation that donate to the GOP's weak excuse for candidates..

Posted by: Ron Sampson | September 20, 2008 5:16 PM

Obama is an opportunistic creep thats trying to take advantage of economic downturn.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 5:10 PM

They are going to "buy out" the mortages, meaning that the banks will now OWN the homes that people lost, but the people that lost them will continue to be homeless.

Posted by: El Mugroso | September 20, 2008 5:05 PM

How can anyone, no matter what their politics, justify leaving the Republican Party in charge of the presidency after what they've done to our economy? Jobs are gone, retirements are gone. Why? Why?

Posted by: Hilary Smith | September 20, 2008 5:01 PM

Obama is Obama, and that is why he will lose.
We are what we are not waiting for. Obama, Your moment is up.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 4:55 PM

very glad to see that the gloves have come off & that Senator Obama is handing the republicans back some of their own medicine- though Senator Obama speaks the truth, the GOP distorts it.
It was refreshing to see a candidate make it this far without critical ads- but since he's kept it in his pocket, now a brilliant strategy for the home stretch.

Posted by: Ron Sampson | September 20, 2008 4:52 PM

Obama is a liar.

When you take $125,000 from Fnnie Mae in PAC money and then deny it, it is not a mistake. It is a lie.

And when you say you cross party aisles, that is a lie.

And when you say you are a Unifyer, that is a lie. Unity does not include one group being superior to another, as your Black Liberation Theology dictates and you followed for 20 years.

Obama, you are NOT another kind of Politician, you are the worst kind. And considering that your entire resume is running for office, you are basically a professional politician. You are the biggest fraud. And we know exactly why, without credentials, you became the Democrat nominee. What a joke at the expense of the American People.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 4:52 PM

It is fascinating how the 3 Republicans I admired the most before this election: McCain, Giuliani and Romney managed to turn out to be the worst of the bunch.

McCain in 2000 as Pres, or as VP with Kerry in 2004 would have had my vote in a heartbeat.

Instead they have all managed to turn away from their moderate roots and embrace the wacko right wing of the GOP and change to the Bush/Cheney agenda.

About the only sane Republican left is Arnold Schwarzanegger, but if course the GOP says he isnt a real Republican.

8 years of this garbage is enough? Democrat Independent or Republican the best choice to clean up Washington is Obama. McCain/Palin really IS more of the same. Sad but true.

Posted by: Rick W | September 20, 2008 4:44 PM

Can you imagine what would if happened this week if Bush and McCain had gotten their way and privatized Social Security? It would have been wiped out!

BILLIONS to bail out Wall Street,
BILLIONS for his pet war in Iraq and,
BILLIONS for tax breaks for Big Oil but

ZERO for health care here at home,
ZERO for alternative energy,
ZERO tax breaks for average Americans.

Thats the McCain plan...god help America if he actually gets a chance to implement it.

Thats the McCain plan.

Posted by: Cal | September 20, 2008 4:38 PM

KMichaels 4:07 PM

Take a good hard look everyone - this is the face of the modern, angry Republican party. 6 years in complete control of the government and they go back to Roosevelt to find someone else to blame. Funny how the whole personal responsibility mantra goes out the window when it becomes inconvenient or embarrassing.

The American public is leaving your kind behind, and for good reason. Americans don't want leaders who aren't capable of admitting mistakes, because that's the first step to taking corrective action. We don't want opaque, secrecy-obsessed government stoking fears of terrorism to silence critics. More than what we don't want is what we want back - the dignity and respect on the world stage we had a scant 8 years ago.

Posted by: Tim B, Dallas, TX | September 20, 2008 4:29 PM

The key to the entire campaign:

Of all the possible choices, McCain chose a running mate whose views and values are the same as Bush.
PALIN IS BUSH
I want change!
Instead of the campaign strategy from a Clinton campaign "It's the economy, stupid", the year, "It's the Palin pick, stupid". The Palin pick undeniably confirms McCain is McSame.
McCain/Palin: The Bridge to Nowhere.
I want change!
I don't care if Obama is black, green, or purple.
I want change!

Posted by: Thoren58 | September 20, 2008 4:28 PM

The affluent, mostly conservative people of this country have been trying to undo everything Roosevelt and the New Deal brought about for the last seventy years. Facism always did appeal to them. Well, now they have and here we are. Liberal, progressive ideas and true conservative oversight are what made this country strong, prosperous, and respectd. Those days and those people are gone. They (the rich-both sides of the aisle) took us regular folks for a ride, stripped us down and left us standing naked and wondering what happened. I'm glad I'm old. Kids today will never know the America I knew.

Posted by: doug | September 20, 2008 4:25 PM

Red herring? I don't think so. But don't take my word for it. Read both of the candidates' health care reform plans in Contingencies yourself:

Posted by: DoTheMath | September 20, 2008 4:09 PM

Tim B Dallas writes:

Yada yada yada, you should not insult people, then goes on to toss out about three or so personal insults. Yeah right timmy, you dont like insults unless you are the one dishing them out.

The he goes on to draw all the wrong conclusions:

"The same people who loudly proclaimed the government's uselessness and toxicity to corporate America"

Never said it. What we say about government is that unnecessary government restrictions and requirements are an UNNECESSARY wasteful expense.

Never does a republican claim that all forms of regulation are bad. Just some. If the government required me to fill out a form before tying my shoes in the morning then I would be against that regulation as wasteful and overly intrusive.

If the governmnent had a regulation for shoemakers not to put explosive devices in my shoes then that is a regulation that I can readily agree with. Again, this is simple logic.

The problem with timmy is that he is dealing in extremes and seems vastly out of touch with reality. He is simply a child and or a consumate liar if the really believs the things he posted.

As to bailouts being good or bad, again, depends on the exact circumstance. In the case of Fannie and Freddie, since they are government subsidized and hold 50% of the home mortgages then it would be unwise to just let them fail. I would however be for a gradual phasing them out of existence though. It was a poor decision on the part of Roosevelt to institute that monstrosity in the beginning. He just lacked vision and loved to pander.

Wanting regulation to control Fannie and Freddie are on record for both Bush and McCain. They warned against this very thing but the democrats fought it tooth and nail.

Dems are deeply in bed with Fannie and Freddie since it is one of their many forms of socialism that they have fought hard for decades to maintain. Yet again this ends up as a government subsidy that fails.

So, if either FF is ready to fail or SS is ready to fail to you at least temporarily bail them out to soften the blow to the economy? Of course you do. Then you work on getting rid of them and putting into place something better. For one thing, get the government out of personal finances.

Posted by: KMichaels | September 20, 2008 4:07 PM

So Joe since you say you are a conservative, how does Obama fit the conservative agenda?

Or could it be that Joe, like many Obamite posters, is lying through his teeth?

Yep, that is my vote. Joe is a liar in sheeps clothing.

As an experienced blogger you see this kind of childish crap all the time. A poster pretending to be conservative and pretending to be against his own party because they have "lost their way."

The only reason McCain is no longer considered to be who he has always been is that the media in the past have used him as the guy against the other guys.

Now that he is the guy against the democrat the media has to make up crap to diss him with.

This is typical politics and the main stream media is typically leftist.

Posted by: KMichaels | September 20, 2008 3:53 PM

KMichaels' chronic inability to separate debate from personal insult belies the greater problem with the Republican* party: they are out of ideas and frustrated.

In the last week the extremism and bald-faced hypocrisy of the modern conservative movement has been thrust into the forefront of every American's brain. The same people who loudly proclaimed the government's uselessness and toxicity to corporate America are now contorting themselves into positions supporting multi-billion dollar corporate bailouts. The same professional right wing propagandists who tarred anything short of a 100% unfettered market as "socialism" have eagerly and unreservedly embraced the socialization of debt, all the while relying on the mainstream media's oft-demonstrated incompetence to portray this malfeasance in office as little more than partisan opinion.

The biggest issue this of election is not the economy. It's not the war. This election will be about memory and gullibility. If Republicans can make enough noise to distract from the plain realities exposed in the last 8 years, and convince the majority of Americans that both parties came into this on even footing, then they'll once again prove that Democrats can always manage to snatch defeat from the clutches of sure victory.

* notice how Republican is capitalized KMichaels? That's because it's a proper noun, just like Democrat is. Grown-ups generally don't display contempt for others through capitalization.

Posted by: Tim B, Dallas, TX | September 20, 2008 3:51 PM

I have never responded to any of the posts before. I do however, have to respond to Sean. He asks what have you done for America? I can tell you Sean, I started a business in 2003. I have struggled through the Bush years with everybody else. I work seven days a week to keep the business running. Now Sean would say here that I am whining, not the case, I will do like all the rest of the middle class has had to do in the Bush years, I will work harder and try to make ends meet. This still doesn't mean I am not going to whine, I will reserve my whining for the seniors I talk to on a regular basis. They tell me how thay are just not making on what they make due to the rising cost of everything. I have a small jewelery store in a small town outside of Pittsburgh Pa. I have seen on more than one occaison, seniors not have enough money for two watch batteries, they space the purchase out over two months. We are talking about $11.77. These people are the ones who built this country into what it is today. I for one, think they have earned the right to enjoy the rest of their lives. Don't forget Sean, you will be old one day also. I am sure you will have invested well and have lot's of money to retire on, just like the people who worked for Enron. It could happen to you just as easily. I hope you will remember not whine.

Posted by: Fed Up | September 20, 2008 3:48 PM

------

Same here. I could have voted for McCain if he hadn't drifted so far right in the last few years. He was a great moderate in '00. I'm not a particularly strong fan of Obama's, but McCain/Palin is unacceptable to me. The McCain of '00 and a moderate VP pick would have had my vote in a tick.

Posted by: Joe | September 20, 2008 3:47 PM

Kmichaels wrote:

"Yet another Obamite writes:

"Thank you George W. Bush for completely destroying any concept of Conservatism as practiced by the Republican Party. First, rather than accepting the rules of the Florida electors in 2000 (states rights, a conservative principle), you went to the Supreme Court to get your votes."

Truth is that the florida state legislature has the US constitutional right to set the voting rules, regulations and dates.

Gore and his followers wanted to illegally extend those dates for personal gain. Since the Flordia court seemed to be in Gore's pocket and went against their own state legislature it was a slamdunk case for the USSC to set them straight on the voting deadlines that the state had already established.

So, Obamites, you were wrong, Bush was right. And since lots of different media has since recounted the votes and Bush always ends up the winner then we know who really won.

So kindly shove off, sour grapes loser.""

In other words, since they couldn't win playing by the rules, they went to the Supreme Court. Very conservative, I must say.

Where are your responses to my other arguments? Do you even have any? By the way, I am not an Obamite, I am a Clintonista. I might have even voted for McCain if he had nominated someone like Hutchison, Huckabee or Fred Thompson. You know, a Conservative as opposed to a neo-con who obviously isn't a conservative at all. Looks like Obama is now my choice by default. I don't really care for him or Biden but McCain/Palin looks like at least four more years of idiocy to me. 100 years in Iraq, I don't think so.

Posted by: thelastmoderate | September 20, 2008 3:38 PM

Obama Votes "Present" On Economics Crisis.

Posted by: Jayashiel Kakileti | September 20, 2008 3:38 PM

Who was behind Keating five?
John McPalin.
The savings and loans crisis cost the banking and taxpayers almost a trillion dollars.
John McDame said " I'm a Deregulator"
Phil Graham & Associates and his top seven lobbying actually running his campaign.

Give me a break McCain.You can run from your past, you cannot hide it. We have Videos to prove it.

We are seeing the same pattern of the '80's and we cannot afford more of the same.

Mack is too expensive for the American people.

Posted by: Omidal | September 20, 2008 3:37 PM

To regulate or to deregulate 101.

1) These words tend to be used as red-herrings by the Obamite crowd.
2) Neither regulation nor deregulation are good or bad based simply on use of the word. There are good deregulations and bad regulations. And vice-versa. There is nothing inherently good about either.
3) The term regulation does not differ much from the term bill. A bill is created by a goverment and many inclulde wording paramount to some form of regulation.
4) Not all forms of government are good for people and not all bills bring about postive results.
5) All parties (in most countries) have passed both bills that are regulatory and deregulatory.
6) Obamites have been trained to drool like pavlovian dogs upon hearing the word deregulation. Sad to say that this is the sign of a shallow naive mind. The proof of rightness in any bill is not the term used to apply to it but the specifics of the bill.
7) If Balz-less and other WaPo journalists (yeah, I laughed when I said it) were on the ball they could educate the public to these same facts. But alas, Obama lap-doggers at WaPo have other agendas.

Posted by: KMichaels | September 20, 2008 3:36 PM

Where are Obama's long time friends? I mean why doesn't he have his buddy Rezko, his pastor Wright and his buddy Aryes upon stage telling us what a great guy Obama is?

Hey Obama supporters...didn't your momma ever teach you that you are known by the friends you keep?

-----------

dan,

Actually, my mom taught me to judge people by the things they say and do instead. No offense, but I think your mom was wrong.

Posted by: Joe | September 20, 2008 3:35 PM

Folks. Lets pause for a moment.

Look at your OWN lives. Dont we associate with people that do not have our own set of values ? Isnt that a fact of life ?

More important is to see Senator McCain and Senator Obama's
a. Leadership capabilities and how they analyse a question. How they overcome the problems that they have encountered in life and during their campaign.

b. Their vision / philosophy for America

c. Their education (I still think this is important)

d. Their health. (personally I am worried about whether Senator McCain is still suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome and chronic pain from his war injuries. Both these lead to emotional out bursts and poor decision making)

Please stop fighting with each other about stuff that REALLY does not matter.

Our future is at stake. The World's future is at stake.

Posted by: Tina | September 20, 2008 3:29 PM

Yet another Obamite writes:

So kindly shove off, sour grapes loser.

Posted by: KMichaels | September 20, 2008 3:28 PM

Bob wrote:
"That's because Democrats can think and discern the truth from the bull. Republican's don't care"

I believe the Bible is the Truth.
If democrats then believe only they can discern the truth, then why are they Pro-abortion/murder and pro-gays/against traditional marriage? "There is a way that seems right to a man that leads to death"

I do care, that is why I am voting for Mccain.

I survived Roe v Wade. 40 million others didn't.

Posted by: JBfromFl | September 20, 2008 3:26 PM

Brianna writes:

"McCain is a proven liar time and time again."

Then prove it. You say you can, trys some examples.

"I don't believe anything that comes out of his mouth."

Pavlovian dogs do like to drool.

"And why he would keep a running mate who is under investigation"

Because lots of investigations are done in politics. Most of them are politically motivated. And more specifically she is innocent of the claims. Sorry if simple logic is above Obamites pay grade.

And finally, while talking in her sleep, Brianna writes: "Wake up sheep." I wonder if she even stirred.

Posted by: KMichaels | September 20, 2008 3:25 PM

Thank you George W. Bush for completely destroying any concept of Conservatism as practiced by the Republican Party. First, rather than accepting the rules of the Florida electors in 2000 (states rights, a conservative principle), you went to the Supreme Court to get your votes. Then you involved us in an interventionist war for no apparent reason other than greed and oil. Then you ran us trillions of dollars in the red with it and got thousands of our soldiers killed. Now, you are doing this humongous bailout that will cost us all money to pay for the greed of your buddies on Wall Street.

Bill Clinton and his balanced budget every single year are looking more and more conservative as years go by.

As a matter of fact, it is even hard for you to claim even social conservatism anymore with perverts like Mark Foley and Larry Craig in your party. Old Bill was a saint compared to those two.

Posted by: thelastmoderate | September 20, 2008 3:21 PM

Nice to see that we live in a nation of whiners. Everyone with their hands out. Who will care for me? For my children? for the aged? Maybe Americans should learn to take care of themselves. Quit coddling the weak America or we can't stay on top. Neither candidate is qualified to fix us. The system is broke. Social services and bailout will drag this county to the bottom.

What have you done for America lately?

Posted by: Sean | September 20, 2008 3:21 PM

One more fundamental against McCain-Palin-gate.

Posted by: Fundamental | September 20, 2008 3:20 PM

WaPo writer Dan Balz really needs to grow a pair of Balz and get off the Obama bandwagon.

It would serve him better as a journalist (term used loosely in his case) if he were to do his jobs and stop repeating Obama talking points and start doing some journalistic investigating.

I have been able to find with little effor the truth of most of Obama's claims yet Balz-less there cant seem to find one point of fact to refute some of Obama's obvious lies and or distortions.

For example, and I will list more, Obama implies that McCain has lots of Fannie lobbyists working for him. True, since lobbyists are notorious for moving from one company to the next, then many lobbyists will be ex-lobbyists for 20 past companies. And since lobbyists are experienced in politics they make good aids.

Balz-less could have pointed out when it came to actual financial support from Fannie and Freddy that Obama is #2 on the list second only to fellow democrat Chris Dodds. With third on the list being that old horse face John Kerry.

Balz-less could have also pointed out that McCain is on record in 2005 as wanting to regulate Fannie and Freddy to make them more secure and to minimize subprime loans.

Balz-less could have also pointed out many of the top leadership of Fannie Mae currently working for Obama.

But since Balz-less has none, and is deeply imbedded with the Obama camp, we can expect nothing more from him. He is a great Obama lap-dogger that loves to repeat Obama talking points and pretty much is void of any real journalistic talents.

Posted by: KMichaels | September 20, 2008 3:20 PM

McCain is a proven liar time and time again.
I don't believe anything that comes out of his mouth. Maverick my ass. And why he would keep a running mate who is under investigation speaks volumes of his comfortableness with corruption. He has no honor nor integrity. Wake up sheeple!!!!!!!

Posted by: Brianna | September 20, 2008 3:19 PM

Posted by: dan | September 20, 2008 3:19 PM

If McCain were a Democrat and Obama Republican, the polls would favor Obama by about 80/20. That's because Democrats can think and discern the truth from the bull. Republican's don't care - they just stubbornly stick with the same old positions year after year. I think it's probably genetic.

Posted by: Bob | September 20, 2008 3:16 PM

We all know who's responsible for the mess on Wall Street. The same crowd of greedy thugs that have been bellowing "deregulation" for years and years. Look where it has gotten us! And these same people want to deregulate the environment and gamble social security in the same way! No way, no how, ENOUGH!

Posted by: Mark Bohannon | September 20, 2008 3:13 PM

GOP has damaged govt and institutions like EPA, FDA, FEMA, Justice Dept, Fed etc by appointing incompetent, political hacks and talking heads. Under Palin-McCain we will get lots of Palin cronies from Alaska running this country!! Its going to take 15-20 years of Democratic rule to come of out the GOP/Bush mess. McCain is a CIRCULAR EXPRESS and has sold his SOUL and character to the right wing and political winds. I used to respect the man, now i PITY his sorry state. What an immature and impulsive guy!!

Posted by: Chris Smith | September 20, 2008 3:12 PM

Obamite Adam says: "Can you say Charles Keating?"

Yes, can you say DEMOCRATS? 4 of 5 of the Keating 5 were democrats. Two of 5 were cleared of all charges. Do you know the names of the two cleared. I will give you a hint. Only one of those cleared was a democrat.

Posted by: KMichaels | September 20, 2008 3:11 PM

John A.:
"McCain is 0ut-0f-t0uch and is in dire need of tutoring in economics."

You may be correct, but then Obama has not offered much either. However, neither should be expected to be the expert on economics, that's for the experts and advisers, just like at present Paulson and Bernake (sp?) are leading the way and bush is the "spokesman".

Clearly McCain has an overall cleaner background, thus a better character needed to clean up the mess.

Posted by: Billw | September 20, 2008 3:09 PM

McCain is so out of touch he is dangerous. He's flip-flopped so many times it's truly hard to decipher where he stands on any issue. Sure his campaign is great at smearing, the lip-stick accusations, the Paris Hilton add, etc. But when it comes to the real issues, he flails, lies, spouts vitriol, and just looks lost.

Posted by: jab00 | September 20, 2008 3:08 PM

What was McCain’s response to the financial crisis this past week? PANIC. McCain’s jettisoned his three decade position on de-regulation and tried to scapegoat the head of the SEC. McCain is 0ut-0f-t0uch and is in dire need of tutoring in economics.

Posted by: John A. | September 20, 2008 3:02 PM

Can you say Charles Keating? McCain has been creating this cesspool for years. He's out of touch, and didn't even earn the millions he lives on. He married into that after leaving his first wife because she has a disfiguring accident. After he cheated on her. Classy.

Posted by: adam | September 20, 2008 2:53 PM

*** UPDATED- HOW THE PALIN HACKER DID IT ***

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 2:53 PM

Obama had the head of corrupt fannie-mae choose his VP. obama and jeremiah wright seem to be the last to understand capital economic - they would do better in cuba or some other communist regime. he deals with retzco, william ayres ect...
obama runs with some real pigs, without lipstick.
MG

Posted by: marion | September 20, 2008 2:51 PM

All you have to do is rewatch the last GOP primary debate last Jan...McCain was asked how he would deal with the economic challenges THEN...and he said he would rely on those he has ALWAYS relied on for advice on the economy. .namely...Phil Gramm...the author of the Enron Loophole that started all this mess...and Warren Rudman, who ran his campaign in 2004 and who was named as independent counsel for the Freddie Mac committee to work with regulators in 2004.

Oh...and he mentioned the 'bridge to nowhere' twice as examples of 'pork barrel' projects he would cut. LOL

And then we have Rick Davis...for 10 years, Rick Davis served as president of an advocacy group led by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that defended the two companies against increased regulation.

At least 20 McCain fundraisers have lobbied on behalf of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, netting at least $12.3 million in fees over the past nine years.

As for Johnston helping Obama's VP selection committee...better that, than an economic advisor, plus he stepped down after criticism from the Republicans.

Too bad none of McCain's lobbysist stepped down...you know...for Country First.

Posted by: BCinFlorida | September 20, 2008 2:46 PM

. . THE MAIN (FINANCIAL) PROBLEM . .

Posted by: Billw | September 20, 2008 2:43 PM

"I have to laugh at all my fellow female voters who are going for Plain simply because she is a woman."

HEY RONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN,
THAT YOU? WHAT WOMAN WOULD USE "FELLOW FEMALES" TOGETHER. I THINK ROSE MARIE HAS YOUR NUMBER SON.
HA HA OHHHH, MAN, COME ON BACK RONNNNNNNNNNNNNNN AND ROSE - THAT WAS GOOD STUFF BUT YOU LEFT US WITHOUT AN ENCORE!

Posted by: Jim Delaney | September 20, 2008 2:40 PM

Obama the crook from the south side of chicago who does a land deal with tony rezko while rezko is under federal investigation for influence peddling.

McCain was calling out feddie and frannie two years ago while Obama was hiring the corrupt CEO for head of his VP search.

Obama then picked MBNA stooge Joe Biden.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 2:33 PM

Hey RONNNNNNNNNNNNNNN,
IT'S SAFE TO COME OUT NOW, THE LADIES SEEM TO BE GONE....
HA,HA, HEE, HAW HEWBOY - THAT'S A FUNNY GUY THAT RONNNNNNNNNNNN IS, I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYBODY SAYS... HE HA HA OHHH, MAN.... COME ON OUT RON, THEY CAN'T HURT YOU....
YOU GO GIRLS!

Posted by: Jim Delaney | September 20, 2008 2:33 PM

McCain is the reason why Jack Abramoff is in jail. McCain lead the fight against him.

Obama hired Jim Johnson of Fannie Mae who used abusive practices and took home 25 million.

McCain was calling out Freddie and Fannie 2 years ago while Obama two months ago hired the guy responsible for this mess Jim Johnson to lead his VP search. Obama then defended Jim Johnson's record. Obama is clueless on the economy.

Obama did a land deal with Tony Rezko while Rezko was under federal investigation for influence peddling.

Obama is the biggest fraud this country has ever seen.

Obama the same guy who votes to give Hale Demar a homeowner a felony for protecting his home from a robber with a hand gun.

If you like marxism you will love Obama.

Obama is a showman fraud.

Posted by: David | September 20, 2008 2:32 PM

It's unbelievable what this McCain guy is trying to do. Did anyone see his new ad? He's totally made an ad that uses the Obama campaign's message word for word. Unbelievable. He can't even come up with his own campaign slogan... lol. McCain has not only been openly telling outright and blatant lies to the american people, now he's trying to totally steal another candidates message. It's ridiculous to say the least. What does he think he's going to accomplish with this?

First he picks a woman who's under investigation for abuse of power.

Next the same woman who said she would cooperate with the investigation, will no longer cooperate.

And then, we all find out that she has been using her yahoo account for government business!!! Who in their right mind would use their yahoo account for government business? It would have to be someone who is completely incompetent.

All of this reflects John McCain's indecisiveness and displays some very bad decisions.

There is no longer any contest. McCain should just throw in the towel as he's getting completely destroyed in this campaign. Even the most hard-lined right-winged members of the party are probably wondering "what was he thinking?"

To top it all off, during the week that it became apparent that america is in the greatest financial crisis in the past 100 years, McCain publicly states that the "fundamentals of the economy are strong".

Thinking about voting options I consider the following:

McCain is constantly telling lies

He won't let his running mate talk to the press.

He didn't vet his running mate properly.

Email hacking (how can she claim to protect the country if she can't protect her email account?)

Refusal to cooperate in the troopergate investigation

Saying that the fundamentals of the economy are strong

Choosing a VP who in no way should be president of the US

Lies, lies, and some more blatant lies. Americans are much smarter than this.

It's unfortunate that he represents the Republican party.

Posted by: Steve | September 20, 2008 2:28 PM

Laura said: "I have to laugh at all my fellow female voters who are going for Plain simply because she is a woman..."

Laura is Ronn in drag....
Go Palin/Mccain

Posted by: Susie | September 20, 2008 2:16 PM

"Say anything McCain" also voted 3 times to deregulate Social Security.

That should go over well with people after this weeks economic collapse where the tax payer have to jump in and regulate the mess.

Posted by: sue | September 20, 2008 2:13 PM

RONNNNNNNNNN said: "Here is JakeD's sister another person who would like to change the subject because she or more likely he does not want McCain's ineptitude in economic affairs the center of a blog on economics, the center of discussion. There will be more dissemblers because the McCain failure is spotlighted"

Ronnnnnnnnnn, is the biggest bed-wetter on this site, and the biggest whiner on this site. I assure you. Deep inside, he is an angry, condecending little man because a woman has the "audacity" to run in "his" elections.
I say women unite around Sarah. Obama was concocted by the media, he is an militant partisan and if the truth were know, a bigoted racist just like his twenty-year mentor, jerimiah wright.
I'm not afraid to vote for Sarah Palin because Ronnnnnnnnnnnnnn doesn't like it.
Ladies, vote Palin and have some real fun in 2012.....

Posted by: Rose Marie | September 20, 2008 2:13 PM

Obama had FannieMae choose the VP-Biden. Do we want the VP and president of senate to be Fannie-Mae's choice?
I'm just sayin....

Posted by: Rosylin | September 20, 2008 1:53 PM

Roslyn, you are out of touch. The old Fannie Mae does not exist, it is owned by the government. Same with Freddie. That Republican trick of changing the subject does not work. The new subject does not exist. One demonstrates ignorance when getting information from an ignorant or unreliable source.

By the way McCain's campaign still is loaded with industry insiders and lobbyists who may or may not have just discovered that regulation is necessary. That is why his economic policies are more political than economic and why he is unable to cope in this environment because he is surrounded by people who see economics only from the political side. That worked in the past years, that is why we are in the mess we are Republican's dominated the political discussion.

Posted by: Ronnn | September 20, 2008 2:10 PM

Sorry gals, but your an embarrassment to our gender. That isn't the right criteria for choosing our leaders. It's also shallow, dangerous and makes women look dumb.

This is a real set back for our country and women have achieved.

Posted by: laura | September 20, 2008 2:06 PM

McCain supports rich criminals...why else would he be caught boarding the wealthy ship of a convicted con artist on his 70th birthday overseas. This con man ripped off the Vatican and McCain's staff represented this scum bag criminal.

Check out http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080929/berman_ames

Posted by: Kalster | September 20, 2008 2:04 PM

"Say Anything McCain" is at it again. So who and what is he today? A Conservative? A Democrat? A Populist? A Maverick? Or maybe just aptly, Bozo The Clown?

The week of September 15th will be remembered as the week McCain flopped around like a panic-stricken fish and lost cedibility by yo-yoing on so many critical position from day to day. What does this guy stand for except appeasing everyone and saying anything to get elected?

John McCain is a sell-out.

Posted by: sue | September 20, 2008 2:00 PM

All of these liberal men on this site sound like bed-wetters. They whine like children needing a nap.
Sarah Palin can out-think and outperform any man in the race. So could Hillary!
We need to do what these liberals are doing and vote gender. That is the only way we will ever finally get representation in the White House. Don't let these smarmy liberal men talk you out of power.
Vote PALIN/McCain and sit back and enjoy 2012....

Posted by: Rose Marie | September 20, 2008 1:42 PM

Here is JakeD's sister another person who would like to change the subject because she or more likely he does not want McCain's ineptitude in economic affairs the center of a blog on economics, the center of discussion. There will be more dissemblers because the McCain failure is spotlighted.

McCain chose Palin because she was uneducated and petty and unable to see the forrest from the trees. She is just like him. She has only said she is against the bailout once that I am aware while he has said it at least twice will a favorable comment about the AIG bailout in between.

Rose Marie what have you learned on talk radio? Please share you ignorance of the economic problem with us.

Posted by: Ronnn | September 20, 2008 1:54 PM

I'm just sayin....

Posted by: Rosylin | September 20, 2008 1:53 PM

kudos to rose marie. I'm a registered democrat but this is the general election and nobody is going to tell me who to vote for.I want a woman in the white house and this election cycle gave us two strong choices. we blew it the first time but palin gets my vote.

Posted by: barbara | September 20, 2008 1:48 PM

McCain Says One Thing and Votes The Opposite! When you hear McCain talk, think Wizard of Oz.

Posted by: Angellight | September 20, 2008 1:47 PM

Obama plays the race card again, this time with Latinos!

First they used the "race card" on Bill Clinton, then on Hillary, then on Geraldine Ferraro and now on John McCain. The so called "new politics" guy is practicing the worst kind of politics-- the racial politics of the past!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 1:44 PM

Obama Throws out LIES and McCain hit him with the truth!By by Lamobama
Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 1:10 PM

Did you learn that at church, from talk radio or are you a prophet?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 1:44 PM

Sarah Palin can out-think and outperform any man in the race. So could Hillary!
Vote PALIN/McCain and sit back and enjoy 2012....

Posted by: Rose Marie | September 20, 2008 1:42 PM

McCain does not think the world is flat.

Posted by: JakeD | September 20, 2008 12:39 PM

Not exactly but because his campaign is infiltrated with Washington lobbyist and insiders he believed in deregulation until this week. Now those lobbyist recognize regulation is inevitable and friends of those lobbyists are in Washington try to get the least amount of regulation, not the right amount of regulation to stop this crisis from rearing its head every few months.

No McCain does not believe the world is flat but his thing is antiquated like the thinking in 1492.

Posted by: Ronnn | September 20, 2008 1:41 PM

McCain made the mess voting with our President who is now trying to bail out the rich guys without letting any cash trickle down. I like McCain. He should be sitting in a retired millionaires villa sipping drinks brought by pretty cocktail waitresses he could pinch. Of course at his age (& mine!) he sill likes to look, he just doesn't remember why.

Posted by: Tubascooternuke | September 20, 2008 1:40 PM

I tend to agree with Obama more when it comes to the economy., It doesnt surprise me. McCain is out of touch. I cannot waitto watch these two debate, McCain and Obama it will be a debate video to remember, I still dont know who I will be voting for this year. I may not know till the last moment.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 1:36 PM

Go Samantha!(earlier poster) Women need to take the power that Sarah Palin offers. I don't agree with her on every issue, but I don't agree with anyone on every issue. Look what is happening to our country. When capitalism is being distributed by an Obama nation, the country's wealth will quickly dissapear.
I understand that Mr. Obama would have us believe that he is all about the women, but Obama is your true pig in lipstick.
wake up, stand up and vote for a women for a change. Vote for Sarah, and 2012 will be our year when Sarah and Hillary are the candidates.

Posted by: Mary Ann | September 20, 2008 1:35 PM

or, was that Raines? All of these shady Obama characters get confusing. Rev. Wright, tony rezko, William Ayres, Larry Sinclair...

Posted by: JakeD | September 20, 2008 12:19 PM

Now JakeD begins to dissemble. he speaks as if Raines is tied to Obama's economic team. Rev Wright is a reverend and not an economic adviser but JakeD thinks if I can get in the race issue then maybe people will do the thing that is contrary to their best interest and vote for McCain. The rest I know have nothing to do with how Obama will govern or economic policy and financial regulation, they are gratuitously thrown in to smear a basically good person who has done something that has a bad appearance even though it was not illegal or even unethical.

Note JadeD wants you to focus away from this financial mess and dip in the mud with him. He does not want you to focus on McCain's essential weakness- poor economic judgement and poor economic advice.

Posted by: Ronnn | September 20, 2008 1:31 PM

It looks like McCain is tryingn to ERASE his 26 years in Washington!! It's no wonder all he has to talk about his POW status of four plus decades ago. Someone called him a hero for being a POW, yet what did he do while POW? Yes, he tolerated bad treatment, but he also sang like a canary and put himself BEFORE country and his comrades to save himself. Of course he does not admit to it. We have hundreds upon hundreds of our military people who have endures the bad treatment of their prisoners during our many wars; they do NOT go around boasting about it like McCain does. McCain seems to feel that somehow being a POW, shut away from the rest of the world, prepared HIM for the office of the presidency. Yes, it takes courage to withstand such treatment; however, there came several times when McCain sang like a canary to alleviate such treatment and placed his comrades in further danger! Shame on McCain!! He is no hero, he is a yellow coward!!

Posted by: NinaK | September 20, 2008 1:30 PM

Ladies....if you elect Obama, what does that say to your daughters? That women just can't cut and men need to remain in firm control of the White House? After all, we had Hillay up there, and she wasn't good enough for you. Now, we have sarah Palin, and you don't like her.....
The problem is, you won't let a woman near the white house because you don't believe in yourselves.
get off your collective behinds and put Sarah within reach of the presidency.
Otherwise, don't complain.....

Posted by: samantha | September 20, 2008 1:27 PM

JulzCa ... you should send your comments about McCain to the LTTE (letters to the editor) of every major newspaper in America! Please do it! (include references so editors can fact check)

Please ... that would be a practical step to help stop the ridiculous LieMachine that is McCain-Palin.

I already knew some of what you posted, and have to verify the rest, but it boggles my mind that McCain -- who has so many ties and so much history bringing on this sort of financial crisis (Keating 5 anyone?) -- has gotten a "pass" from the press! Why aren't any major news outlets publishing more about McCain's full entanglement with Fannie&Freddie, while at the same time they air McCain's lie-filled attack ads with nary a word of fact checking???

Go to http://factcheck.org WHICH IS KNOWN TO BE UNBIASED AND ACCURATE -- and see how lopsided the deceit is! McCain lies occur far more often and more egregiously than Obama's "truth-stretching." Compared with McCain's misrepresentation, fabrication and tapestry of deceit, Obama is running a sincere and truthful campaign!

Perhaps worse is that no major media outlets have covered the incontrovertable facts that McCain has been very vocal in supporting the deregulation that allowed McCain's friends, campaign workers and poltical advisors to greedily profit from. And this isn't the first time that republican policies of deregulation of financial institutions have nearly broght this country to ruin.

All this ommission of McCain's web of deceit in the name of so-called "balance."

C'mon! There's "balance" and then there's mis-reporting. I think the media is complicit in helping the republicans lie to the American people and fool you! (B/c apparently half of us have no memory of what's happened in the past 20 years, or more.)

Liberal Media my ass!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 1:26 PM

Who do these Republicans think they're kidding anyway? Wall Street has been drooling over the notion that they could get their stinking hands on billions of retiree social security dollars! Everyone knows it!! If that were the case the years retirees worked and supported social security would find their money pocketed by these greedy fascist corporatists. That is their plan, plain and simple!

Just look at the willingness of the Fascist Republicans have acted, and see that with a single word from the puppet, George Bush, billions have been transferred to these fascist pigs through the guise of coproate bailouts!! Coudl you imagine if they haad your money too? People..., get you heads screwed on already! It's not really that hard to figure out who these people are, and what their plans really are.

Posted by: pekopper | September 20, 2008 1:23 PM

go sarah;susan for president!!!

Posted by: lori | September 20, 2008 1:22 PM

McCain is was not my choice in the primaries. Still, he is conducting an exciting campaign. As a woman, Sarah Palin took me off the fence and into the Mccain camp.
Obama, with that whole awful Jeremiah Wright twenty-year relationship, really bothers me. I believe Obama is lying when he claims to know nothing about these jeremiah Wright beliefs against whites America.
I don't need another president pointing his long, bony finger at me and lying his %$s off. I'm over it....

Posted by: Susan | September 20, 2008 1:20 PM

Obama used Johnston who was a lobbyist / head of Fannie Mae to head up his VP selection committee.

Posted by: JakeD | September 20, 2008 12:15 PM

McCain used Gramm to formulate an entire economic policy that was founded on deregulation that has been discredited This proves that no candidate is perfect but Obamas's action would cost no one their pension or annuity. Had we listened to McCain advised by Gramm many would be penniless.

In this problem week McCain focused on the little details and sometimes he has been right but more likely he has contradicted himself more than one time this week. In other words if given enough opportunities and everything said by McCain prior to getting it right is ignored and all of the other problems that are going on that he has not addressed miraculously disappears then McCain is right once in a while. McCain has shot off his mouth and ran around like a chicken that has been decapitated.

Obama has been more measured in his response his economic policy that was enunciated before this crisis has been more applicable than McCain's and his behavior has been more presidential.

McCain's tax policy of depriving working Americans a tax break to give investors a further tax break has been proven inappropriate for this financial condition

The thing we must look at at this point is which candidate has the stronger economic team? Which candidate has had the judgement to choose the right advisors? How does Warren Buffett and Paul Volcker and the advisers from the Clinton economic team stack up against Phil Gramm and the group of industry lobbyists who advised McCain.

When you have to backtrack on a basic economic policy of deregulation and your opponant has had a philosophy of more regulation is needed than you lack the team that would have had the foresight to act to counter the rising crisis, why trust that team at all?

Posted by: Ronnn | September 20, 2008 1:18 PM

The US Treasury is being looted like Haiti.
I hear GW has bought a huge ranch in Paraguay. Any truth to this?

Posted by: Coyote | September 20, 2008 1:15 PM

Was Tucker Bounds the guy who blinked and blinked when pushed by Rachel Meadow and Chris Mathews, repeatedly, whether or not seeing Russia from some islands in Alaska qualified the governor as having "foreign experience", as her campaign flip-ly claimed.

Thta's one of the issues being asked him aggressively.

I saw a few minutes of the clip and I felt so sorry for the guy; he looked sort of pathetic --- why put a man with so little seriously information in the front line like that? You can see the guy is obviously intelligent; but you can also see he just didn't have any serious or credible information, so he just spews and stutters and blinks.....

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 1:15 PM

As far as his VP selection goes, Johnston stepped down and he they picked a VP, GO BIDEN, who is totally in the clear as far as the GREATEST DESTRUCTION OF THE AMERICAN FINANCIAL SYSTEM SINCE THE GREAT DEPRESSION.

These aren't times for talking about gay sex, prayer in school, and other things that make bad people feel like good Christians.

IF things do not change, 180 degrees, from Bush-Cheney-McCain all of you posting in your 50s and 60s will be lucky to eat out of garbage cans in your 70s and 80s, after the USFG has completely shriveled up.

THIS IS THE END of Republicans calling democrats the party of overspending and welfare-- as book asks for nearly a TRILLION dollars to give to investment banks, who give their CEOs/CFOs 30 million dollar bonuses for imploding entire industries.

Posted by: Nope | September 20, 2008 1:14 PM

Why are Republicans not using the Flip Flop slogan this election?.. Oh, that's right because McCain is the one all over the place this year.....what a sham

Posted by: swd | September 20, 2008 1:12 PM

McCain is getting hammered on the economy, healthcare and social security. His crew of greedheads is flailing. Good. These people couldn't even spare $35 billion for healthcare for our children. They're pigs, all of them.

Posted by: Mary | September 20, 2008 1:12 PM

And Phil Gram, a lobbyist, and a man who may have caused the sub prime mortgage crisis, is found to be on John McCain's campaign staff, writing McCain's economic platform and his position on the mortgage crisis

Posted by: swd | September 20, 2008 1:10 PM

Obama Throws out LIES and McCain hit him with the truth!By by Lamobama

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 1:10 PM

So many, candidates as well as those posting comments, want me to vote against one or the other but there is no way for me to do that on a yes only ballot. I shouldn't have to say I want yucky parsnips to say I don't want yuckier broccoli even more. The ballot needs a NO column so I can vote honestly without implying support for another in the process that is not true for many. The highest net yes wins. The result would be a far more honest reflection of voter sentiment.

Posted by: Valjean1 | September 20, 2008 1:10 PM

Even CNN is conceding more losses for Obama in battleground states. Liberals get slap-happy, pure punchy when Obama has a good day in national polls, meanwhile, Mccain continues to pull ahead in all of the states in question.
Obama is a media production. They are democrats from the time they get out of liberal arts schools. Basically, journalists in the old mainstream media would support Adolf Hitler were he running as a Democrat. That's all that they know....
Mccain is steadily gaining in battleground states and that is the REAL story.
Visit:

Posted by: Karen | September 20, 2008 1:09 PM

Who will be INVESTIGATED FOR CORRUPTION ? OBAMA

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 1:08 PM

Ahhh poor Tucker Bounds...getting all tied up in the comments Obama is making about McCain. See Tucker, two can play a flip game for sure and it sure sucks when you get hit in the nose by one of the very same blows you threw to knock the other guy out.
Only difference here, Barak Obama has tied John McCain to Wall Street! John McCain Throws out LIES and Barak Onama hit him with the truth!

Posted by: Duane Smith | September 20, 2008 1:07 PM

Tucker Bounds is the greatest thing that has ever happened to the Obama campaign. Too bad he's only relegated to sending out smarmy emails. I guess the elite media scared him off with their sudden ability to ask a follow-up question.

Posted by: SDSims | September 20, 2008 1:06 PM

Who is being INVESTIGATED FOR MISUSE OF POWER? Sarah

Posted by: corrupt liars run in packs | September 20, 2008 1:05 PM

Obama is the communist with a communist agenda for this country.Do we need a communist in WH?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 1:04 PM

Obama broke the law when he bought that house in chicago together with the criminal REZKO.do we need a criminal president?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 1:02 PM

More Lame Blame Lies

From:

DIPSTICK/LIPSTICK 08

Posted by: dickcheneyisacorruptliar | September 20, 2008 1:01 PM

If you stupid GOP morons were smart, you would move onto a different subject than Fannie Mae, Lobbyists, etc.

See, your tired, inconsistent has-been decided that he was going to be the independent "Maverick." So when he gets tagged every morning and every afternoon by Obama with all kinds of lobbyists charges, it kinds of undermines the whole "maverick" thing.

I think that it is called....ummm...."hypocricy."

When you try to stick the whole lobbyist thing on Obama, people kind of say, "so?"

May I suggest that you turn the shotgun away from your face and aim it out.

Maybe a "lipstick" strategy or something.

Posted by: Losercuda | September 20, 2008 1:00 PM

Republicans are pretending to support Mccain. In reality, they are very ashamed of him. Have you noticed they repeat the lie until they think we finally get it.. And unfortunately, some of you dummies belive the lies.. It's called trying to brainwash the American people... But this democrat is smart.

Posted by: Tracy | September 20, 2008 12:58 PM

Mccain is Stupid.

Posted by: Tracy | September 20, 2008 12:55 PM

Go get them Obama. Don't let them get away with it for a third time. Obama/Biden 2008!!

Posted by: IndependentForObama | September 20, 2008 12:52 PM

Yes of course JakeD...Old Johny boy thinks that Earth is money and power but has no clue about nearly anything.

Posted by: Jarda | September 20, 2008 12:51 PM

Wait a second, "Tucker" (that can't be his real name) is still employed by the Campaign?

I thought that he and Carly "Cash Out" Fiorina were off on Elba somewhere.

Posted by: Losercuda | September 20, 2008 12:50 PM

Posted by: Jarda | September 20, 2008 12:49 PM

McCain does not think the world is flat.

Posted by: JakeD | September 20, 2008 12:39 PM

OK ENOUGH

19 McCain Fundraisers & Advisers Lobbied For Fannie Mae Or Freddie Mac.
Six of his advisers and fundraisers lobbied for Freddie Mac including:

· McCain’s Current Chief of Staff Mark Buse,

· Kate Hull,

· Aleix Jarvis,

· Tom Loeffler,

· Peter Madigan,

· Allison McSlarrow

· Aquiles Suarez. [John McCain.com, Senate Lobbying Disclosures]

McCain Senior Adviser Wayne Berman Continues to Lobby for Fannie Mae. Wayne Berman has lobbied for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac from 2004 through the 2nd quarter of 2008. Their firm earned over $100,000 from Freddie Mac in 2004 and over $1 million from Fannie Mae. [Senate Lobbying Disclosures]

Head of McCain’s VP Search Team Lobbied for Fannie Mae. McCain tapped Arthur B. Culvahouse Jr., the former Reagan administration official, to head his search for a running mate. Currently a partner at O’Melveny & Myers, Culvahouse lobbied on behalf of Fannie Mae in 1999, 2003 and 2004, according to Senate records. [Politico.com, 7/16/08; Senate Lobbying Disclosures]

Top Adviser Charlie Black Lobbied for 10 Years for Freddie Mac. Black is “one of McCain’s top advisors,” and “at the helm of McCain’s campaign.” Black joined McCain’s campaign of March 2007, but did not stop lobbying until March of 2008. He is described as, “schooled at the knee of Jesse Helms and so entrenched in the ways of Washington that he has enjoyed access to Republican presidents since Ronald Reagan.” Black lobbied for Freddie Mac from 1999-2004, earning the firm he co-owns $820,000. [The News & Observer (Raleigh, North Carolina), 8/31/08; Senate Lobbying Disclosures]

Former McCain Co-Chair and Current Bundler, Loeffler Lobbied for Fannie Mae. Loeffler lobbied for Fannie Mae in 1999. His firm earned $40,000 from Fannie Mae that year. [Senate Lobbying Disclosures, 1999; New York Times, 7/16/08; Newsweek, 5/26/08]

Super-Lobbyists Wayne Berman & John Green Serve in High-Level McCain Campaign Positions. In March 2008, the McCain campaign announced that John Green “a founding partner of what is now Ogilvy Government Relations” would take a leave from lobbying to join the campaign full-time as its Capitol Hill liaison. John Green’s colleague Wayne Berman, a Bush “Super Ranger” serves co-chairman of McCain’s national finance committee, as well as the campaign’s vice chairman and as a senior adviser. Additionally, Berman also handles congressional outreach and “talks to lawmakers on McCain’s behalf.” Berman and Green both lobbied for Fannie Mae from 2004-2007, earning over $1 million from Fannie Mae. They also lobbied for Freddie Mac earning over $100,000 for their firm in 2004. [New York Times, 2/7/08; Financial Times, 11/27/07; Washington Post, 11/20/07; The Hill, 7/19/07; The Politico, 3/4/08; John McCain Supporters, http://www.johnmccain.com/Supporters/ ; Senate Lobbying Disclosures ]

McCain’s Current Chief of Staff Lobbied for Freddie Mac. McCain’s current Senate Chief of Staff Mark Buse lobbied for Freddie Mac from 2003-2004, earning $460,000. [Senate Lobbying Disclosures]

McCain Getting Economic Advice from Former Fannie & Freddie Directors. McCain’s economic adviser Aquiles Suarez worked as Fannie’s director of government and industry relations. His finance co-chairman Frederic V. Malek is a former Freddie Mac board member. [Politico.com, 7/16/08]

MCCAIN HAS EXTENSIVE TIES TO AIG AS WELL:

McCain Fundraisers, Advisors Include Eight AIG Lobbyists & Executives

* Edmund Lee, AIG Executive is a bundler
* Susan Nelson, finance director, was an AIG lobbyist from 2004-2005
* Wayne Berman, vice-chair, was an AIG lobbyist from 2004-2007
* John Green, Capitol Hill liaison, was an AIG lobbyist from 2004-2007
* Bundler James Pitts was an AIG lobbyist from 2006-2007
* Bundler Tim Powers was an AIG lobbyist in 2001
* Fundraiser Kate Hull was an AIG lobbyist from 2002-2007
* Bundler Phil Anderson was an AIG lobbyist from 2006-2007

MCCAIN HAS TAKEN MORE MONEY FROM CORPORATE EXECUTIVES

Posted by: JulzCa | September 20, 2008 12:39 PM

You know it is amazing that anyone who does not agree with the McCain assessment that the world is flat has a liberal bias. Come on ... get real.

Posted by: bradcpa | September 20, 2008 12:26 PM

The McCain campaign has just gotten crushed this week under an unrelenting assault of reality. This is entirely unfair, as reality has a well known liberal bias. When can we get back to talking about things that help the Republicans, like lipstick and celebrities?

Posted by: Justin in Chicago | September 20, 2008 12:20 PM