Comment Registration Returns

Starting today, comment registration on this blog will resume. From this point forward, only registered users of washingtonpost.com will be allowed to post comments on articles. This requirement will cut down on spam and also discourage users who post the same, usually
offensive, comment under a variety of different names, as well as those pretending to be another commenter.

We hope you enjoy the new comments environment, and thanks for your continued enthusiasm for debate here at The Trail.

By Web Politics Editor  |  September 25, 2008; 4:06 PM ET
Categories:  About The Trail
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McCain Stops at Senate en Route to White House
Next: Obama Answers Critical Question -- About Music

Comments

Months too late, but better late than never.

Posted by: Charlene-K | September 26, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Just hope your info is not seized by your Government. Don't mind signing in a bit, but hope It does not stop me from seeing my friends your way?

Posted by: justada56 | September 26, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I am not sure what happened to this blog but I do hope that it was not an attempt at censorship by the Obama campaign.

Last month the Obama campaign twice called for it's supporters to overwhelm WGN-720 radio in Chicago after Phil Rosenberg booked individuals who were critical of Obama. Phil offered the campaign the opportunity to have someone present to refute these individuals but it declined.

As a result both the radio station and the Chicago Tribune blog www.swamppolitics.com were overwhelmed with complainers. The blog was inoperative for over a week.

It appears to me that Obama is acting more like Hugo Chavez in his actions!

Posted by: mwhoke | September 26, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Where did the Democrats dig up a candidate like Obama? He is the most liberal, ill-prepared, inexperienced, naive candidate ever foisted upon the American people. He makes McGovern look mainstream. We need seasoned leadership for this troubled country in an increasingly dangerous world.Our enemies will become emboldened by an Obama presidency because they will understand Obama's disdain for the military and will think that we have lost our collective minds.

Posted by: tsapp77 | September 25, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Good.... although it has been fun posting as "Did I mention I'm a LIAR" for awhile, lol.

Posted by: Omyobama | September 25, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

You can run (McCain),
but you cannot hide (Palin)

McCain / Palin
Unstable / Unable *

*sources: George Will / Laura Bush

Posted by: darby124 | September 25, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

WHat a couple of days for John McCain!! First we learn from Sarah Palin that he's achieved victory in Iraq! Then he arrives in Washington in time to oversee (along with the President) the collapse of a negotiated deal on the bailout!!!

Gosh, what a President this guy would make!! Imagine him with the Palestinians! The North Koreans! The Russians!

I can't, I'm still hoping to sleep tonight...

Posted by: Samson151 | September 25, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

"There they go again", said Ronald Reagan in 1984. Well it appears that his well heeled statement, may also now apply to the progressive ("radical left") and liberal media elite, bloggers and Democrats. Why be a part of the solution if you can be a part of the problem?

By the way, at this hour there is NO deal.

McCain should be applauded, rather than get the regular attacks from the wacko left. Barney Frank has chaired this important House Committee, but has done nothing about this growing crisis for 2 years! Leadership? This shows about as much leadership, as when his boyfriend ran a prostitution ring from their apartment. "I saw nothing, I hear nothing and I will say nothing". Then again, the Democrats gave him a standing ovation then to him also for competency, integrity and honesty.

The facts are that McCain has tried for the past TWO (2) years to get a bill passed in the House and Senate, to address some of the problems at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, but the Democratic Leadership which has been running the House and Senate through Frank, Reid, Boxer and Pelosi would have nothing to do with it.

Good for McCain for realizing that as President, he will have to live with this economic and financial mess as President. He is also willing to stand up to Bush and the Democrats if the deal is not a good one. As he did with Feingold on the Campaign Reform bill and with 13 other Democratic and Republican Senators on the approval of judges, blocked by the Democratic minority at the time, McCain is standing tall and doing the right thing.

On the other hand Obama, as usual, is trying to hide from the issue, so he does not get blamed if it does not poll well or is not popular or financially successful. This is a pattern he has mastered as a community activist and organizer in the Chicago political machine, the State Senate and US Senate. Look good and do and accomplish nothing. On the other hand, if this works he will probably call it the "Obama Bailout Plan". He is only using Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac management advisors and money, along with that he received as the second largest receiver of donations from Lehman Brothers!

Duh!

Posted by: rljmsilver | September 25, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

A good move.

Posted by: ejgallagher1 | September 25, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

McCain, "an old Navy man," came back to his Senate office for the first time since April and promptly took the Capitol subway over to meet with House Republicans prior to driving over to the White House where he and House Republican leader John Boehner managed to scuttle the agreement which had been reached by the administration, Republican and Democratic senators, and House Democrats. Trust McCain to lose the ship, again.

Posted by: jholditch | September 25, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Before Bush's phone call, as McCain put everything on hold to help fix our countries economic fallout, Obama stood back and made the statement "If I can be helpful, then I am prepared to be anywhere, any time". I guess he was too busy cramming in Clearwater for his big midterm. Cue the music-

CHORUS
And no wind (no wind)
And no rain (no rain)
Or winter’s cold
Can stop me, baby (oh baby)
‘Cause if you’re ever in trouble
I’ll be there on the double
Just send for me, baby
Oh baby....

Country first or ME first ???
*************

Hooray for comment registration and BYE BYE "Anonymous"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: thecannula | September 25, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

The only thing McCain was bailing out was himself out of the debate! What a total farce. Still running those ads though and going on Couric and to Clinton's shindig to make stump speeches, but oh yea he "suspended his campaign". He's the one that asked Bush for the meeting at the WH wanted Bush to summon him and Obama so he could have a photo shoot! The republicans are crooks and always have been, there's a good many Dems in that catagory, I'll go with Obama, maybe someone with a brain and who has had to come up the hard way will understand main street America better then the good ol boys.

Posted by: sfilutze | September 25, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

McCain is showing what a profile in courage looks like. He knows that a majority of his party is against this bailout and could have easily taken a position against the proposal. No, he is honestly trying to solve a very difficult problem by suspending his campaign and delaying the friday debate. Whatever he does he will be critized either by the left or the right. He truly is an independent thinker who is putting country first. On the other hand, what is OBama doing. Playing politics by saying if he is needed they can call him. Is this a leader? I believe that Reverand Wright had it right when he said that Obama is a politician and does what a politician does. I can't believe I am agreeing with this racist pastor!

Posted by: migli3x | September 25, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

HOORAY!

Posted by: wes1155 | September 25, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Now the Compost only needs a way of cutting down the repetitious, usually offensive comments from their pack of bias reporters and commentators.

Posted by: info42 | September 25, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

John McCain returned to DC delivering a message of encouragment and support from Sarah.

Posted by: whocares666 | September 25, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

If I can't post repetitive, offensive, marginally truthful material here, then what's the point of having an election every four years? It's like some fascist-socialist, inexperienced, out of touch government is secretly oppressing me.

Posted by: thingsthatshine | September 25, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Which is why I said "Thanks". Now I must re-suspend my posting until McCain's legislation is signed into law.

Posted by: JakeD | September 25, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

JakeD,

Progress is progress. You won't have to worry about the fake JakeD's that you've pointed out in the past...

Posted by: scott032 | September 25, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the registration, but I see it doesn't cut down on people posting on the wrong thread ; )

Posted by: JakeD | September 25, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

What was his role, that’s easy. None, nada, zipp, nil, null, nothing… unless you count the fact that he has been in favor of de-regulation since he’s been a senator.

Posted by: 82AllAmericans | September 25, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Thank you - now I'll start reading the comments again.

Posted by: citizenbill | September 25, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse