Donna Brazile Hit by Pepper Spray

By Holly Watt
ST. PAUL -- Donna Brazile was hit by pepper spray as she walked to the Xcel Center at the start of the Republican Convention here.

The well-known Democratic pundit and strategist confirmed the incident, but declined to comment further. Protests outside the convention center led to 56 arrests earlier in the day.

Brazile is the Chair of the Democratic National Committee's Voting Rights Institute and was a delegate at the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

Originally from New Orleans, La., Brazile has worked on several presidential campaigns and was the campaign manager for Al Gore in 2000. She frequently appears on CNN as a political commentator.

By Web Politics Editor  |  September 1, 2008; 8:13 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama , Cast of Characters , Conventions , Republican Party
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Palin Emphasizes Reform While Quiet on Obama
Next: Democracy Now! Host and Producers Arrested at Republican Convention

Comments

Pleeeease! Enough w/ the violin playing bleeding heart rhetoric. Then again it won't "change" anytime soon. It's not the RIGHT or LEFT with violent tendencies; be as it may, it can be linked to plain ole' human nature, which is not always civilized. It's been happening since the Stone Age, WWII, and guess what? It's still around us.

Things happen on both sides occasionally, but the Left is always whining, throwing, and fighting more about it. It's a common reaction when you don't have anything behind your argument after catch phrase of the year is uttered.

Oh yeah, and jAY: If the GOP are "racist disgruntled redneck folk", does that make liberals a bunch of (tree-hugging, Birkenstock-wearing, pot-smoking dirt bags)? No, not all, but nice touch on the stereotype; way to embrace the very thing you supposedly despise.

Posted by: DrRepo | September 5, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

The FACT is that there was really very LITTLE actual violence.

And, can we apply a little common sense here? Do you think that Donna Brazile is really going to walk into the middle of a violent confrontation, when she could be sitting in the comfy CNN booth having a bagel & latte and speak directly to hundreds of thousands of viewers? Would not be a terribly good strategic decision, would it...

Posted by: John L. | September 4, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

The police made a forgiveable mistake. If you have a black woman in your sights, she could not be involved with the Republican Convention (I watched on TV - few black, hispanic or asian faces)so go get the trouble maker.

Posted by: docallen001 | September 4, 2008 7:16 AM | Report abuse

There are idiots on both sides of the isle and I see most of them have gathered here.
If Donna Brazille stuck her nose where it didn't belong then she got what she deserved. If not, she should not have been sprayed.
The fact is there was plenty of violence in the streets and the cops were forced to use a greater amount of force to control the situation.
But I do find it ironic that Obama supporters are complaining about this from one side of their mouth and calling Sarah Palin every name in the book from the other side.
I find it all extremely telling of what our country has become. It's not something to be proud of!

Posted by: redraz9 | September 3, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

The tone of the comments from the right side of the spectrum as well as the overt racism in these posts are a disgrace. So was the arrest of Amy Goodman and her two producers at the republican convention by Minneapolis PIGS. I am embarrassed and ashamed to be an American, and were it not for my disability I would leave this country yesterday. There is no room for racism or police brutality in a "free" nation. This is a disgrace! I grew up during the civil rights movement and would have thought by now that people had grown up. Miss Brazille nor Amy Goodman or anyone deserves this kind of treatment, nor does any other person exercising his or her first amendment rights!
Pissed off and disgusted in North Carolina,
Greg Williams

Posted by: onebusgreg | September 3, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Do we know who sprayed Brazile. I do not condone the spraying but without that information speculation runs rampant. As to the praise of Brazile and Pelosi, where has this person been living. I was pleased when Pelosi became Speaker but since then saw her true colors and Brazile blatently lies. These are who we want in women leaders? They are an embarassment to women who really deserve our praise. Funny how we can only heap praise on those who say and act like ourselves. We should be able to disagree but admire the deserving qualities in others whose views differ from ours. But lying and unethical practices from self-serving politicians should never be condoned no matter what political party they represent.

Posted by: lee, sarasota | September 3, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe this, all of these postings. This is what both candidates have tried to avoid. We can't be radical anymore, this is not what America represents.
Personally I think the pepper spray was uncalled for.
But Look at what you people posted. IS THIS WHAT YOU BELIEVE!?!
There were republicans at the democratic convention, there are democrats at the republican convention. The fact that people don't realize that both are two sides of the same coin.
Stop thinking that Palin has foreign policy experience because Alaska is next to Russia. And don't talk about her 17 year daughter being pregnant in a political perspective, it's private. SHOW RESPECT!

I keep hearing from both sides "The Conservatives did this..."
"The Liberals are so..."
SHUT UP! SHUT UP! If the past eight years have taught us anything, your damn infighting has destroyed our country rather than help create it. The founding fathers were right, political parties would lead to this.

Go get some common sense and never post comments again until you learn to remove the Conservative and the Liberal, R, and D label from every person you see and be objective. WE'RE ALL AMERICAN!

The person hit by pepper spray was still hit by pepper spray. And that stings.

Posted by: angered nonpartisan | September 3, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

As for the Brazille nut...too bad it was only pepper spray. May the gods find it in their hearts to let her feel that spray for the rest of her life.

Posted by: blackcatsoda | September 2, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Violence at the RNC was caused by fervent, NObama supporters.
The plan has been in place for a while, before the selection of Nobama as the candidate.
They were warned that violence would occur unless they gave the POTUS to the NObama.
They claim there will be riots in the streets as the plan is not the popular vote but the electoral vote.
I took this information off the NObama for POTUS blogs.

Posted by: Blackcatsoda | September 2, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Uh, before you FOX wingnuts blow more gaskets, the reporter who was assaulted by the Denver police was an ABC News Reporter.

If you still feel as upset about this assault, even though your lie about it being a FOX reporter has been exposed, please do contact the Dever Police to complain. It was wrong. As was this assault on Donna Brazile, the arrest and assault on Amy Goodwin, and the assault on the CT delegation.

Nothing justifies these acts of brutality for people who are simply expressing their political rights to speech and free association or their rights as member of the press to cover these conventions.

Posted by: TTone | September 2, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Some of these bloggers are the typical right wing hypocrits. How dare you attack Donna Brazile calling her nasty names. Obviously you do not know how wonderful this lady is. In fact, I first thought of Donna as a running mate for Obama. That would have been quite an event. Though, I guess the kkk south can barely handle one black person on a ticket for President let alone two. Problem is, these so called christians believe in the wrong 'gods'. So, they act as they do in the above blogs.

Posted by: nativegirl | September 2, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

TO JIMBO THE BIG BIMBO

You just get ready to sing HAIL TO THE CHIEF!!!!!!!!!! You best believe Barack Obama WILL BE our next president.

Sorry for your lost Grandpa Munster oops I mean Senator McCain!

Posted by: sweetpladybug | September 2, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

That just shows that most of the Republicans are violent and racist people. They are snicky, angry, hypocrits, and evil. They are very fearful that Obama will win and they will resort to violent because they can't stand to see a black man win the Presidential race.

Posted by: lclon | September 2, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

No physical attack on a politician, for any reason, is acceptable.

Even pepper spray can cause some forms of permanent trauma.

It is heinous to attack a pol for their work, even a hypocrite like Brazile played during primaries.

Posted by: AsperGirl | September 2, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

"Where was all of the "liberal" outrage last week when a FOX news producer was assaulted by the Denver police for "trespassing" on a public sidewalk while doing a report on lobbyist taking high ranking Democrats into a party at a hotel during the DNC?"

Actually there was lots.Those "Blue Dog Dems" were being "thanked" for caving in to AT&T.Liberal bloggers reported this incident and were themselves harassed.This business with the police in St Paul should be a concern to ALL Americans of ALL political stripes.These journalists being arrested are supposed to be protected by the Constitution.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I say GREAT!! Donna Brazille deserved THAT AND MORE!!! Finally she gets A just due! I cant wait to see her get Every thing else that she has comming!!!! KARMA AT WORK!!

Posted by: Donna | September 2, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Where was all of the "liberal" outrage last week when a FOX news producer was assaulted by the Denver police for "trespassing" on a public sidewalk while doing a report on lobbyist taking high ranking Democrats into a party at a hotel during the DNC? There was great footage of a cigar chopping police sargent grabbing the individual by the throat and pressing him against a window.

Posted by: Quizzical | September 2, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Obama Campaign doesn't do retarded!

This kind of behavior is for sore losers!

WE aren't losing, in fact we are 7 points ahead, so far.

My guess, and yes we usually guess right, my guess is, it's the Ron Pauler's or pissed of PUMA's who don't want to vote Rethug, this year or for the green party.

They feel shut out, but if they would just get on board and stop being such "Demobrats" they wouldn't feel left out. Since the PUMA'S have been on the loose, and since joining the campaign, they are showing the same nastiness, they showed in the primaries. Obama has to tell them to stop being so mean and nasty.
They aren't used to a calm and joyful campaign and often get out of line for positivity.

There are plenty of pissed off voters and groups this year, thanks to John McCain and George Bush's policies. But if it wasn't the Pauler's, then DEFINATELY PUMA. They are not beyond using violence. I've had signs of Obama, strewn willy nilly across my lawn. I have two dogs, but haven't been able to catch them. YET

I have my paperclips and mailman rubberbands and if they set foot in my yard again, before they can bend down to steal or distroy it, I will paper clip their arse's

Barack and Joe, what a team!

America wins, with Obama and Biden!

Barack On Team America, almost there now!

Wooot Woooooooooooo!

Posted by: bluecatbernadino | September 2, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I am an 87 year old veteran of WWII, who was born and raised in a far north Minnesota town of 1500. I had never seen a black person until I entered the army.
While training in the States, I was billeted in a barracks. Short distance from our barracks, a black quartermaster ooutfit was billeted in tents. At the time, I did not question this. While waiting on the waterfront docks to board ship for Europe, a Captain from Georgia had unholstered his pistol and was going to shoot a black truck driver on the dock for a minor driving infraction. Other officers physically restrained the Captain. This was my first exposure to very personal, violent bias.
I have learned much since that far away time and I had hoped that my Country had fianlly progressed far enough to put aside racial hatred and bias. Apparently not. I have voted in every presidential election since returning from service. I am proud that I will have a choice to either vote for a black candidate or a ticket which includes a woman. I will vote for the ticket that most closely agrees with my political views. If only everyone could or would do the same.

Posted by: Bob Baker | September 2, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Why are we as people so mean toward other folks who show their own concerns and opinions which may be different from theirs?a Folks we are Americans and we should be more respectful of all persons, regardless of race,creed or color. This type of selfishness, appears to be the main reason America can't rise above the fray. It's leading us to be even hostile toward Men,women,& children,elders and the young alike. We need to get back to being Americans, first.

Posted by: mamamay | September 2, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

The conservative right dwells in the state of lunacy. They like stupid; they are attracted to stupid; and they rejoice in remaining stupid.

Posted by: jaid | September 2, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jaid | September 2, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Hope they sprayed her good. she is one of the main reasons that Hillary was forced out of the election. Brazile "showed her true colors like Oprah.' She is hated by many Democrats now so shee'd better watch her back.

Posted by: JIMBO | September 2, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I *LOVE* Donna Brazile!

Posted by: Kit | September 2, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Like the article said, Donna Brazile did not comment. It didn't say she whined and cried and complained either. That would be all of you here. Donna Brazile is like Nancy Pelosi. She can take a punch. She never whines that it's unfair, and she can throw a punch. And both are very smart ,able gals.She knows what she's talking about and that is more than many of the writers here. The police attacked newspeople who merely asked the status of news photographers and reporters who were covering the fracas and were not part of any unruliness. This is inexcusable and unnecessary in a free society.

Posted by: This just in | September 2, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

A lot of these so called protesters are actually provocateurs and some may even work for the police departments. They start riots and within that confusion, other cops are given justification to escalate and instigate. Donna could've been target purposely or collaterally.

The International Bankers (FED Reserve) are destroying our country from within and most of you idiots are so dumbed down that you embrace the tyranny. They will steer a hurricane in your direction or the oil rigs, or both.

Your Republican behinds aren't worth anything either to them and they'll gut you like filthy swine, But you love the smell of bacon frying, even when it's your own swine fat.

Posted by: Fred Almighty | September 2, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

sjtruth===those hellraisers in the Twin Cities you refer to and claim to be Democrats are probably Ron Paul supporters po'd that their candidate doesn't even get to speak at the convention. He got a lot more delegates than Rudy(even though Rudy donned his little blue dress and best red pumps). Maybe they are Bob Barr Libertarians.You didn't see any of that violence in Denver.

Posted by: This just in | September 2, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

My logic is correct. What the hell are you guys doing in St. Paul? Don't twist the facts around, though I would not expect the logic to apply to you morons.

Posted by: Rey | September 2, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

May I remind all those Demoncrat Liberals of delusional thinking. It was the Democrats that created the KKK and Jim Crow laws. I find it an oxymoron that we have a so called half black man running for president and is a member of the party that was lynching and burning crosses on the front lawns of his own brethren. Go figure, the Demoncrats are sure looney!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad that Donna got sprayed, although I never have or never will like her. This just shows you, that the lines are blurred and we as the American people have to refine and ask ourselves what really matters, as two nominating parties. Left or Right should be thrown out the window right , verbatim I think that most of us are chomping at the bit for McCain and Obama to screw up, thus when we here about stuff The Right claims there oh so right and the Left does the same. People wake up, blogs are supporting opinions if you really want to make you’re opinion count go vote in November. Honestly we’re crumbling as two influential parties. I never thought in my life-time as a young American we’d be admits of possibly electing a black man, but what is it worth if people can’t accept the fact that it’s a dog fight, and it will forever remain a dog fight until someone’s sworn in. No matter the party, your candidate or whom you’re thinking about backing this election or elections to come this is what we’re facing, and as a people we’re attacking people, just like you and me who yeah they might have eight houses or chose to make the choice of pro-life without giving our child the option to keep a child that they’ll raise. As a democrat, I can only go one what’s given to me by the media and what people write on these blogs and most of us are forgetting how to chose what’s right for us, and how we feel about it a lot of us are just going on what our “party” feels.

It’s a party, a group, two given standards that assure us that whatever your standards and practices are. You, and everybody else who isn’t you’ll be represented in a monolith, that only can be spoken for nationally in November; so my question is why? Why are we scraping at the bottom of the barrel attacking these people as harsh as we do? Across the board there still flesh and blood, and no matter the demeanor or nature of the situation we can’t decide to actually man up and show our colors, instead we hide behind guns, the war, stopping the war, and inexperience; you can forget that and just give me meat and potatoes.

Posted by: Brandon | September 2, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

God.
Not only are the allegations that "liberals started it" bigoted and dumb, they're inconsistent.
Denver was chock full of liberals for a week and nothing happened.
Your logic, it is circular and backwards.
I was in NYC for the RNC in 04 and it was the same thing. Arrests without charges. Aggressive police.
I've dealt extensively with cops here in the city, and they usually don't take the gloves off unless someone tells them/forces them.
Fishy things are afoot.

Posted by: Hey Guy | September 2, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

It is funny, ney, stoopid that PUMA's think they are a political party, apparently by decree of Rove.

Where is their shadow convention? In some back alley, no doubt, all thirteen of them.

Posted by: Smedley Valet | September 2, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who think it's the left or some stupid Democrats that's causing this stir at the RNC. You all need to ask yourselves these questions!

Why must we continue to allow greed to ruin us as a people, a society, a nation, as human beings?

Why must we as a society have to work two or more jobs just to live?

Why must we sacrifice so much for so little?

Why not protest for change, for fairness, for better wages or against an Unncessary WAR?

Why must we outsource jobs to another country?

Why must we continue to use racial division as a distraction? Our greatness is our diversity!

Why must only one percent control the majority of the wealth in this country?

Posted by: StarNevada | September 2, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Why must we as a society have to work two or more jobs just to live?

Why must we sacrifice so much for so little?

Why must we outsource jobs to another country?

Posted by: StarNevada | September 2, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

• Wake up people of America! If these recent incidents of police abuse, against the citizens of this country, don't make you pay attention, nothing will! This type of police activity has been on the rise for years, especially the last eight years. The people voted in 2006 to change the direction in which the country was headed. Nothing has changed! The killing in an illegal war continues! People are still being illegally wiretapped! The assault on the Constitution continues with reckless abandon! The Justice Department is dysfunctional! And, the public continues being ripped off by out of control corporations who are engaging in war profiteering! It's up to the citizens of this country to protect the constitution! The politicians will not do so! They take their marching orders from the corporations which are responsible for protecting their lofty positions. The police take their marching orders from the bought and paid for politicians. Their orders are to quell any voices of dissent that would disrupt the agenda of the corporate power structure which controls the government. What a sad state of affairs for our once proud democracy, which is now, nothing more than a fascist police state. Hitler would be proud! The comments I see here illustrate the true nature of the badly tarnished Republican brand. First many of the posters here blather about how Democrats are racists, and in the next breath, begin spewing hate and racism toward a black women who is a well respected media personalty and activist. What hypocrites! The Republicans then go on to spew the propaganda they are so famous for by saying that Democrats have it all wrong, when in fact, 80% of the public think the country is headed in the wrong direction after eight years of failed Republican policy! The hate filled sniveling by Republicans on this post show just how desperate the party has become, as they flail, grasping for any straws they can reach. The sad thing is Republicans who are not multi millionaires, are so stupid, that they vote against their own best interests! Any astute observer of politics knows that in order to benefit from Republican policies, you have to be very wealthy. The Democrats will sweep the Republicans into the dust bin of history come November! And Democrats! To make sure that happens, keep a close eye on this election to make sure it is not stolen by the crooked Republicans, who at this point, will do ANYTHING to stay in POWER, and out of PRISON!

Posted by: ChingarraSan | September 2, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

To bloggers who always want to blame Obama for any mishap that's occurring at the RNC. I can't believe you people. Do you think he has these people under a trance or something. These are individuals like you and I that are just Fuc--ing fed up with the Republicans!!!! I am really!!! You people don't accept any responsiblity for what has occurred within the last 8 years!!! Then you have the audicity to come online and write a negative blog that it is Obama's fault! What the heck is going on with your thought process!

Gov. Palin has issues. These issues are concerns for all Americans not just Democrats but it should be for Republicans as well. Her daughter pregnancy: it's only a concern because Gov. Palin is an advocate for "abstinence" Where is the lesson learned from her own daughter regarding this issues? #2 McCain camp is stalling her investigation: Why if she has nothing to hide? WHY? Every American should ask themselves WHY would they do this? #3 Gov. Palin has stated she's not plugged into the Iraq War? Wha the heck?!!!! Are you kidding me? Why NOT? Why isn't she plugged into this? #4 What about the support she's given to Senator Stevens who is about to be indicted?

All I am saying is Americans wake up and analyze what's going on right now, do your own investigating and become plugged into what is happening to our world today!!! Keep asking yourself Why? until you receive a clear and logical answer to your questions.

Posted by: StarNevada | September 2, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I read about what went on in St. Paul and the demonstrators were violent and attacked delegates getting off a bus and sprayed something on them and were lighting fires, smashing windows etc.

Now this didn't occur at the Denver convention. The protesters there were recreate68, the PUMAS, and 18 million voices, and others. The protests were non-violent.

This behavior is most likely from Obamabots. it fits their MO. Their actions warranted a strong reaction from the police. They're trying to stir up and disrupt the Republican convention. Typical. I read Donna Brazille got pepper sprayed- karma baby!

These thugs are just making the case even more that Obama and his Chicago machine will never take control of lthe White House or our country.

Just Say No Deal. No Obama! PUMA !!!

Posted by: sjtruth | September 2, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Folks,

It is the hooligans causing this. What are the police supposed to do, let them run wild?

The hooligans created the uncivil environment.

Goodman is just trying to make a name for herself so she can wave the bloody shirt.

Blame hooliganism, the cops are trying to do their jobs and keep people safe.

I did not know Democrats hated honest cops so much, the have a tough job to do and Democrats hate them for it.

Posted by: Matt | September 2, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Goodman was already released, genius.

Who cares about DemocracyNow...what is that, some cheesy podcast? NPR? HAHA....

Nobody cares....

Posted by: Matt | September 2, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Rush Limbaughs and James Dobsons dreams have come true at the Republican Convention. What Idiots!

Posted by: Hoffmann | September 2, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

It is so funny to see the left embarassing themselves like this.

They are going to lose Minnesota for the Democrats. The local media here are blaming it all on left wing Obama supporters.

Apparently the started throwing rocks and bottles and innocent pedestrians and several had to be taken to the hospitals.

They were just innocent people walking down the street and these anarchists attacked them. They hit an elderly woman in the head with a brick.

Obama better call off his hooligans, because the Twin Cities are not happy with him right now...

Posted by: Matt | September 2, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

No one deserves to get hit by pepper spray for just being in the area! Some of the videos coming out of this scene are harrowing. These is the U.S. press- who have a right to report about this convention- being arrested and hit by pepper spray for no reason. WTF! It's happening, it's being documented, and broadcast and yet people choose to ignore it.

Posted by: niiki | September 2, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't recall any rioting in Denver from any conservative or PUMA. What's up with you guys? Sounds like most liberals need some psychiatric help, you guys are oozing with so much hate with your uncontrollable behavior that it's hard to take you all seriously.

Perhaps you folks should leave the real work to those who meant well for this country and then later when things are back in order, you can have your child play withe messiah.

GO PUMA! We are very real.........

Posted by: Rey | September 2, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

The fact that anyone condones this type of police behavior simply reinforces how uninformed and uneducated our society has become.

This isn't about right or left, it's about our First Amendment freedoms. If you don't speak up now, the day may come when there's no one to speak for you.

Posted by: rkrenke | September 2, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Buyer's Remorse?

* The latest national poll from CBS News shows Obama leading McCain by eight, 48% to 40%.

* The latest national poll from USA Today/Gallup shows Obama leading McCain by seven, 50% to 43%.

* The latest national poll from Diageo/Hotline shows Obama leading McCain by nine, 48% to 39%.

Obama cracking 50% in one, with McCain dipping below 40% in another. Buyer's remorse? The only buyer's remorse I'm seeing is McCain and his VP pick.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

No one seems to see this as the act of a Fascits government. This is amazing. I ofen wondered how Hilter was able to pull his rise to power and turn Germany into a Fascist State, now I know, it was Germany's citizens were a bunch of dumb asses just like our persent day Americans.

Posted by: arocco | September 2, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Judging from the comments I've read here -- which I sincerely hope is not a true snapshot of the general US public -- I can only say that those of use who are still in control of our logic and reasoning need to stop reacting and start responding by focusing on the true issues and make them our talking points, making sure we take at least one person to register to vote and take one person with us when we vote on November 4th. This is not a game, this is about the future of this country.

Posted by: EJ | September 2, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

That's how the GOP does it. They beat the crap out of their citizens until they either tow the line or shut up.

So long GOP .... don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!!!!!!

Posted by: kgb999 | September 2, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

What's so ironic about this is that the demonstrators who were being pepper-sprayed were Obamabots just like Donna. They're all just getting what they deserve and a little training on what will happen when they riot in November after Obama's landslide loss. BWAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAHAAAAA!!!

Posted by: brigittepj | September 2, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I bet she told them to "STOP THE HATE"

Posted by: WHO CARES? | September 2, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

If you think the black-bloc are Obama (or "messiah", as you oh-so-cleverly state) supporters, then you're even more ignorant than you let on.

Posted by: Ugh... | September 2, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Police were trying to control those radical Democrats. Notice the protest weren't radical in Denver last week. That is the type of people that follow the messiah.

Posted by: tlatexaspuma | September 2, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Aonymous, do you work for McCain? You haven't gotten anything correct you are putting out. Go home. I agree and many others agree with 'bushwacked'. Bush and Chaney have turned this country into a mess and we want out of this mess. You need to actually get your facts correct before you post them. Freedom of speech is also being denied by the reps as it has been except if it is for what the reps believe in, then it is broadcasted. This is a demonstration at the RNC of what people really fee. Read and know what you are writing and quit being so spontaneously republican. That is what got us where we are today.

Posted by: lyfrommo | September 2, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

For all the members of the good Christian party, and the women and men who have not gotten over Hillary Clintons lost {to all you good Americans}. Please for one moment stop and listen to yourselves bash this woman because you don’t agree with her views. It was wrong that she had been peppered sprayed……simple point blank. As a long time President Clinton supporter I never wanted any harm to come to him after the Monica story broke, even thought it is what cost us the White House.

Posted by: Grow Up | September 2, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Comments like the ones I read here are the reason I shy away from the right wing. Brazil has done nothing to deserve this and those who attacked her should be prosecuted.

Posted by: CJ | September 2, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Karma is a B she was spewing so much double talking racist hate. But we know black people arent racist are they?

Posted by: marie3548 | September 2, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Where should we send our sympathy cards? This shouldn't happen to anyone but it is hardly something that should be in a national paper. Call the cops they'll take care of it like they do for everyone else out there. Hey maybe because she is an Obama supporter the FBI should be called because you know they always get their man. Maybe they can shakedown all of Hillary's racists supporters. It had to be one of them now don't you think. It couldn't just be a random act. Someone was out to get her.

Posted by: flcracker | September 2, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

You've got to love the Republican scum, gleeful over the vice presidential candidates daughter who can't wait to get her hole filled with a bun in her oven, and the mother who is as corrupt as any member of the present day administration preaching abstinence. How's your daughter's down syndrome baby by Daddy doing?

Posted by: George the younger | September 2, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

All y'all dissin' Donna are going to have your butts kicked by her Boo... You know who that is?

Posted by: cheikhspierre | September 2, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

lol! she probably deserved it. for all her rude attacks on the clintons during the primaries. wretched old woman

Posted by: Cleveland | September 2, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Only way to explain their glee over this dispicable incident.

Posted by: Republicans are Nazis | September 2, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Simply Put: “ Dems showing “BUYERS REMORSE”

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 7:40 AM
******************************************** I can understand why you would want to remain anonymous. Try as I might, I was unable to find a single thing that was accurate in your lengthy commentary.

I would recommend spending a little time educating yourself prior to posting on blogs. It doesn't help Hillary at all for people to believe her supporters are clueless.
Really, you sound like you get your information from lounge acts.

Posted by: Truth Matters | September 2, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

That is hilarious. She deserved it especially after pretending for so many months to be neutral during the primaries while appearing on CNN.

Posted by: jose | September 2, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Why would the "righties" want to do anything differently the next four years???? This is the kind of America they want.
Arrogant, incompetent, pompous. All under the disguise of
"Family values" Why isn't "Scooter" Libby one of the featured speakers???

Posted by: billy | September 2, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

From the looks of the comments, all the young Republicans are working hard today. Perhaps they have to much time on their hands. Why not go sign up so you can help fight this republican war. Oh Yea, Pussy's don't acutally fight, they get other people to do that for them. Big tough repup's taking on a black smart woman. Whimps.

Posted by: Dave | September 2, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I hope she and the other protesters are okay. Brazile is a smart and level-headed woman who is a strong activist.

Oh the poor Republicans, having their Convention this week amidst the "headline grabbing" Hurricane Gustav, GOP Convention protesters, Ron Paul's separate mini-Convention and now the "lack of vthe etting process" for Palin.

Don't let anyone fool you. This is not how the GOP imagined their convention and presidential race going from Sept. 1st to Sept. 11th. The McCain campaign is in damage control.

Posted by: Obama-Junkie | September 2, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

One word - KARMA!!!

Couldn't happen to a nicer person...

Posted by: Sherrip | September 2, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

TEHarries screeds,
"So much for typical right wing disinformation."

It would take an Ivy graduate to know that "Gentleman's Cs" have become, "Everyone gets an A because we're so smart". Of three graduate programs, I found Pennsylvania's the most fascinating, by far, but also the least rigourous by far. Holding an Ivy degree in English means perhaps nothing with respect to a man's education; it does mean he (or she) made the best social connexions possible.

Sign me, UPenn Conservative

Posted by: UPenn Conservative | September 2, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

"Donna Brazile is one of the most respected members of Congress."

Um, don't think so. She isn't now, nor has she ever been, a member of Congress

Posted by: Genericeric | September 2, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Re: anonymous AT 7:35 am.:
"**MSNBC's (uneducated)Andrea Mitchell said..."

FROM THE NBC OFFICIAL BIO: "A native of New York, Mitchell received a B.A. degree in English literature from the University of Pennsylvania where she currently serves as a Trustee, a member of the Executive Committee and Chairman of the Annenberg School Advisory Board."

So much for typical right wing disinformation.

Posted by: TEHarries | September 2, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Clinton lost the Primary, how could she win Democrats the General? 18 Million My ars.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

She is my momma!

Posted by: KINGKONGSSISTA | September 2, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Hard to know which is worse, police rioting in Minnesota or poster excesses here.

Posted by: 2mature2bHornswoggled | September 2, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Donna Brazile is one of the most respected members of Congress. In fact, If she put her hat in the ring for Presidential candidate, I would have a tough time choosing between her and Obama. If you only knew how gracious she has been through this entire campaign.

Posted by: nativegirl | September 2, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

DEMOCRATES GOT THIS SO WRONG THIS ELECTION YEAR!
Obama screwed up, just as expected and predicted…

Count how many Obama selected top advisors have been fired from his camp
but ONLY after voters began to discover for themselves where MEDIA like CNN & MSNBC failed to report the truth and of course the rapid drop in polls, otherwise Rev Wright would still be employed by Obama camp. Next Obamas selects VP vetting team, Jim Johnson who got the sweetheart deal from countrywide and fired and Caroline Kennedy no experience at all, (payback for Ted Kennedy’s support) who both stupidly ignored the historic candidate who split the primary elections down the middle, won the popular vote, 23 primaries, with 18 million strong supporters, they wrongly pick Biden who got just 9000 votes in primaries and contradicts his change message and the war vote the media helped him use against Hillary that Biden voted for as well? Proof is Biden gained him zero "bounce" in the polls. Infact it underlines his inexperienced to lead and make a decision based on what’s best for the country and not just for him and Michelle.

What would Clinton of added to the ticket? Apparently a WIN. If Clinton were at the top of the ticket, even today polls show she would be leading McCain by 8pts 3 months after ending her campaign. Clinton herself enjoys 87 percent approval ratings among Democrats, Gallup reports three out of four Democrats would like to see her as president and be a major-party spokeswoman over the next four years. Clinton's supporters lukewarm in their support for Obama mainly because of the sexist way his camp treated Senator and President Bill Clinton. David Axelrod has said often in the past; “Obama doesn’t need her supporters” they vote republican anyway, why are they begging for them now? DNC is shaking in their boots over selection of Palin.
Especially after the historic DNC convention Obama ONLY got an average 2pt bump in polls, when history shows most got 10-15pt bump.

Simply Put: “ Dems showing “BUYERS REMORSE”

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Thats prob just the beginning of things to come, American voters are angry at CNN & MSNBC for giving Obama a free pass based on his dark skin, remember he is 1/2 white ( dont tell michelle Obama that) manulipating the Presidential election.
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 1, 2008

**CNN Sent Reporters To Alaska To Investigate Palin Children!! CNN reporter live on air admitted that she and others were sent to Alaska to investigate the family and the CHILDREN of Governor Sarah Palin. Her family and children? What exactly are they looking for? Are the kids secret spies or did Willow spill her milk today? Have they investigated Barack Obama's two children? It's ridiculous and malicious.

**MSNBC's (uneducated)Andrea Mitchell said that only the uneducated Hillary Clinton supporters would vote for McCain/Palin. What does she say about the Obama supporters who when asked why they support him, say he represents "change". Does she question their education? Does she ask them what issues they agree with him on? No because she doesn’t know herself.

Start questioning your media sources and our political system. We are the ones who should "change" this atmosphere.

Tabloid Cable media especially CNN ( Obama hired help)& MSNBC should be boycotted for frankly putting the security of our great country at risk with an Obama coronation in the bias election opinions nightly. It’s extremely concerning that so many Americans could care less about who their candidate really is?? He’s black, let’s make it happen? Simply amazing and frankly scary.

Obama has shown this entire season he can be pushed and told exactly what to do just what we can’t have in the White House and remember grandma; he will throw anyone under a buss if it helps politically so; WATCH OUT MICHELLE!

Obama, Pelosi and Dean are why we changed our party affiliation to “Independent” When all the benefits are with the Democrats this election; they selected the wrong candidate, who in turn selected the wrong VP candidate by a mile.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 7:35 AM | Report abuse

To: Jammies and Brazilla

Gee, you need a new ID just to get on here and drop some racist drivel?

Or are you working for points on the McCain campaign? What do you get, Green Stamps?

Your arguments (if I dare call them that) are like 12 year-olds spitting bad words at each other. Nothing rational, nothing meaningful, just hate, hate, hate.

I know you're broken-hearted that you can read the handwriting on the wall, but don't worry: Obama will forgive you when he's President.

Posted by: Alan A. Katz | September 2, 2008 6:48 AM | Report abuse

"Who even cares about this nasty person getting some pepper in her face?"
- Alix

"Do unto others as you would have them do to you"

Posted by: Dayyyyyyyyum | September 2, 2008 4:17 AM | Report abuse

Does everyone realize that the McCain campaign has started a war with Russia to win this election?

Please look it up.... how Georgia actually attacked the Russian peacekeepers and civilians in South Ossetia.

McCain is insane and wants you to bleed profusely.

STop actiing like it's time to be polite.
Alex Jones at infowars.com is right: 9/11 was an inside job and the world is becoming a prison planet under a high tech dictatorship ...

Snap out of it!

Posted by: Brian | September 2, 2008 3:48 AM | Report abuse

We are witnessing nothing short of a meltdown of the Republican party. We had trouble even getting our leaders to attend the damn convention. Sure everyone had an excuse, but they are staying away. The security is out of control, it’s like a police state. There’ll be no post convention bounce. Now it’s likely Governor Palin will be jettisoned from the ticket in the next couple of weeks. No, not because of her pregnant daughter or “Trooper gate” but because Governor Palin actively supports Alaska succeeding from the United States. My friends, that just won’t play well with the base and she’ll have to step aside.

Posted by: Ed Wit | September 2, 2008 1:15 AM

More like: NITWIT

Posted by: Peggy | September 2, 2008 3:26 AM | Report abuse

Hard to feel sorry for her.

She labeled the Clintons as racists and was too chicken to stand up to sexism by her colleagues in the media. In addition, she lied about being "undeclared."

Who even cares about this nasty person getting some pepper in her face?

Posted by: Alix | September 2, 2008 3:06 AM | Report abuse

Donna Brazille;

Has had hateful thoughts and comments about many....Often saying very caustic comments....What goes around comes around...Watch your back Donna.

Posted by: Rightfully So | September 2, 2008 2:52 AM | Report abuse

y'all got stuck on stupid,Ms Brazile was caught in the middle/pepper spray of the fringe looneyville "protest street performers". The MAJORITY of protesters were law abiding,peaceful,NO confrontation,NO property damage,NO obstruction of streets...when they marched and express their povs. A tiny group from the travelling band of the "Protest-R-Us" Adventure Tourist group are intent on chaos,property damage,injury and as in GenovaG8,a tragic death.

Posted by: mary kirk | September 2, 2008 2:09 AM | Report abuse

The Republican pundits are saying that Sarah Palin has more "Executive" experience than either Obama or Biden since she was a Mayor and Governor.

So I guess that means she also has more "Executive" experience than McCain also.

Posted by: Ed | September 2, 2008 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ed Wit | September 2, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Donna is a frequent guest on CNN. CNN stated during the DEM Convention that they would have Democratic pundits as well as GOP pundits covering the Convention for CNN and appearing on CNN daily. That is probably why Donna is there. From the video of Amy Goodman's arrest and others, it appears that the police are targeting everyone and have no idea who any of these are or why they are there. It will be cold day in H..l before a lot of these people return to St Paul or spend a buck there. I also suspect that in Pacifica's case, there will be a lawsuit forthcoming.

Posted by: xargaw | September 2, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Look at the comparison's of Obama vs. Palin. It's not even close.

Obama is the Dem candidate? Really?

Obama's not ready.

Posted by: Rich | September 2, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse

erum... calling all bots.. and there are many here, as I see... the information is that Ms. Brazille was a recipient of pepper spray from the police... NOT the Republicans at the convention. Apparently she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.. I doubt sincerely that anyone would pepper spray her on purpose.

Posted by: Lavenia Otts | September 2, 2008 12:58 AM | Report abuse

I don't wish bad things on anyone but...

If Donna hadn't screwed up Gore's message so bad we don't wind up with W. She is a political hack and her charges of racism vs. Bill in NH for saying the media ignoring Obama's record creates a "fairytale" started the whole Clinton as racists thing- which she knows is not true-

so, a few tears from her is nothing compared to all the tears she has cost the nation.

Leon

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Floridavice, something tells me that the claimed used to be Repub under the guise of Lindanm is a FAKE all the way.

Not that any of this surprises us, Obama pusher have many fake names and threaten non Obama pushers.

There could be 10 Obama promoters with 10 fake ID's pretending to be 100. And that's probably how voting will turn out. LOL

Posted by: LindaalsoinNM | September 2, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

isn't it more likely the pepper spray came from the Democratic activists who were protesting the war?

I mean these are the same people throwing clorox mixed with water on people going into the Convention.

Posted by: notforsale | September 2, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Lindanm wrote:it is terrible that Donna Brazile was peppersprayed at the RNC convention as she was going in to the building. It shows me more every day why I left the Republican Party of hate and racism. I am white and I am ashamed I ever voted for a Republican. This is no longer the party that I belonged to. How shameful they have become

Posted by: Lindanm | September 2, 2008 12:11 AM

LINDANM....you are kidding right? Are you a racist that you have to claim this was racism and that you are white?

You do understand there was rioting by outsiders and that the LAW ENFORCEMENT used the pepper spray, don't you? Please tell me you do.

This has nothing to do with the RNC or the Republicans you putz.

And, in case you don't know this either, Donna Brazile is best buddies with Karl Rove, so play your games some where else when you actuallly get information and facts straight, OK?

Posted by: LindaalsoinNM | September 2, 2008 12:37 AM | Report abuse

All you white people pretending to be black people are hilarious. Another pitiful attempt at race baiting by obama supporters.

Really, come up with something new. Its getting old.

Posted by: Jammies | September 2, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Lindanm get off your soap box you're not a Republican. If you're so concerned about what the Minnesota police did why are you talking about Republicans. Spoken like a true liberal.

Posted by: Floridavice | September 2, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Republicans can't do anything right.

Posted by: Jeff | September 2, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

It is terrible that Donna Brazile was peppersprayed at the RNC convention as she was going in to the building. It shows me more every day why I left the Republican Party of hate and racism. I am white and I am ashamed I ever voted for a Republican. This is no longer the party that I belonged to. How shameful they have become

Posted by: Lindanm | September 2, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

This is so wrong!

Posted by: Ender | September 2, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Sean Hannity was spit at & was almost attacked by protestors. These people are animals and the cause of what happened to Donna.

Posted by: Floridavice | September 2, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Sean Hannity ordered the attacks on Donna Brazile...This is what I heard

Posted by: Kenny | September 2, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

That's nothing. I read that anarchists threw bleach in the faces of Republican delegates as they got off the bus leaving the convention.

They should be charged with felonies and sent to prison.

Posted by: Floridavice | September 2, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Democracy...it's something neoconservatives and Milton Friedman followers think other countries should have, the US not so much.

From far away the US at times looks like a police state. Domestic Private armies running around loose inside the country..where is the line between government security and private security inside the US?

I hope Ms Brazille is OK..she should quit being so nice.

Posted by: ginny | September 2, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

WERE'NT SOME REPUBLICANS GIVEN ACCESS TO THE DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION? WELL THAT WAS EXACTLY WHAT DONNA WAS DOING AT THE REPUBLICAN CONVENTION. I GUESS THEY WERE RETURNING THE CURTESY. ANY WAY WHY SHOULD ANYONE REJOYCE BECAUCE THIS LADY WAS HURT BY THE POLICE PEPPER SPRAY WHEN SHE WASN'T INVOLCED IN ANY WRONG DOING?

Posted by: K H | September 2, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

One of my best friends does political affairs for a Fortune 500 Company. She called me Sunday morning absolutely infuriated at the way she has been treated since arriving in town. She was insulted by security who asked "what are you doing here?" and "Who are you?" She told me that she was treatd with disdain and disrespect in both elevators and restaurants. She shares two things with Ms. Brazille - they are both Black women.

Posted by: Robbin Annette Moore | September 1, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Lol.

Posted by: JULIE | September 1, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Unbelievable... what kind of HUMAN is happy to see a woman over 50 sprayed with a toxic and irritating chemical?

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES. I know your mothers would be.

Posted by: what haters you all are | September 1, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Why did the POLICE only pepper spray Brazile and not arrest her?

Posted by: Donna B Does Not Speak For Me | September 1, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

use a throw away phone to call the mayor or the black suvs will be at your door

Posted by: sherry | September 1, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Darn it. Wish there was a mite of acid in it. Only enough to burn her eyebrows.

Posted by: Pepper spray only? | September 1, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Umm...dimwitted ones - there were protests there today (by crazy Democrats) and the police had to get involved because they were unable to march peacefully or control themselves enough to act like human beings.

Clearly, Brazilla was in the middle of the chaos (probably inciting it, knowing the Brazilla) and she got hit with some stray pepper spray.

So, move on with your sad little attempts at race baiting. No one takes you seriously, nor do we take obama seriously.

Posted by: Jammies | September 1, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't have happened to a better person. And why is she hanging out at the RNC? Isn't she Miss Democrat 2008?

And what's with all the weirdos on here trying to make something racial out of this? Did Jeremiah Wright send you over to this blog?

Really - you're making fools of yourselves.

Posted by: Brazilla | September 1, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Partisan pettiness... absolutely deplorable. I know that a few democrats do stupid, hateful things sometimes too, but I think everybody can admit that the worst of it comes from the Republican side.

Posted by: Steve Charb | September 1, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

You know that the racist mccain wouldn't let up a sweet chance like that to beat up a black woman. You heard me right. Donna brazile got beat because she was a strong black woman, and the whiteys want to keep her and her type down.

Posted by: the racist mccains | September 1, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

McCain's Republican Convention, Hookers & Blow:

First McCain can't control the Republican 527's, now he can't even control his own Republican party.

Posted by: Bush + Cheney = McCain | September 1, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I am not a Brazil fan, but still not right.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 1, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I'M NOT SURPRISED...THESE REPUBLICANS ARE A WHOLE BUNCH OF RACIST DISGRUNTLED FOLKS STILL DREAMING TO BRING BACK THE OLD CONFEDERACY...SHAME ON THEM....THIS IS A PARTY THAT ATTRACTS KU KLUX KLAN MEMBERS AND ALL THE RACIST REDNECKS SOUTH OF THE MASON-DIXON LINE...SHAME ON ALL OF THEM!

Posted by: jAY | September 1, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

People, this is what Bush and Cheney have turned America into and this is what McCain want's to continue:

Posted by: Bu$h Wacked | September 1, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Damn...damn...damn

Posted by: greentipcove | September 1, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

AMY GOODMAN ARRESTED DURING RNC!!!!
Democracy Now! is calling on all journalists and concerned citizens to call the office of Mayor Chris Coleman and the Ramsey County Jail and demand the immediate release of Goodman, Kouddous and Salazar. These calls can be directed to: Chris Rider from Mayor Coleman’s office at 651-266-8535 and the Ramsey County Jail at 651-266-9350 (press extension 0).

Posted by: remoteless | September 1, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse