Joe Gibbs to Speak Tonight, Skins Fans Torn

NASCAR team owner and former Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs smiles as he speaks during the NASCAR Sprint Cup Media Tour in Huntersville, N.C., Jan. 22, 2008. (AP/Chuck Burton)

By Ben Pershing
ST. PAUL -- The titanic battle for the hearts, minds and remote controls of Washington-area residents tonight is now threatening to spiral out of control.

Many viewers in the D.C. region (and transplanted Washingtonians here in the Twin Cities) were already torn between watching the final night Republican National Convention and the Redskins' regular-season opener against the New York Giants. Now the RNC has escalated the fight by adding to this evening's speaking roster someone potentially more important than either John McCain or Barack Obama.

Joe Gibbs is here.

That's right, the Redskins coaching legend and current NASCAR impresario is now slated to speak at the Xcel Energy Center during the 8 p.m. hour, eastern time, likely closer to 9 p.m. and -- Redskins fans pray -- possibly during halftime of the game. Gibbs appears to have been added late to the program, as the original schedule released by the RNC earlier today did not include the God of Washington Football (no word on whether he will be introduced as such tonight).

The RNC has not provided any hints as to the topic of Gibbs' speech, though the overall convention theme for Thursday is "Peace." Will there be peace in D.C. households tonight, particularly those with just one television and no TiVo? Will he comment on Dan Snyder, Jim Zorn or the team's questionable draft strategy? Tune in tonight to find out -- if you're willing to change the channel.

By Web Politics Editor  |  September 4, 2008; 6:14 PM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Cast of Characters , Conventions , Republican Party
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Raises Record $10 Million Since Palin Speech
Next: Romney: McCain Still Outside the Conservative Mainstream

Comments

Looks like a bunch of liberal idiots read this article.

Posted by: RandyV. | September 6, 2008 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Life is not simple, political life is. Your children never will be in harms way at war, so talk is cheap. Most do not no what it is like to struggle.
Leaving it at that, the Republicans VP, soother in mouth, rifle ready is just a mouth piece. If you shot a deer you would know that the animal will look right at you knowing it's killer. A rifle is not a natural predator they are used to. and unless you are poor and can't afford to buy food what's the thrill. is it the cutting, the trophy, or the man made weapon of destruction. Any idiot can kill., these mavericks make me sick. If you want a female VP, go for a real naturalist. Lots of bull seems to excite you people and I question why. I prey her son does not come back dead or disabled for life, by fire power or the poisoned air he will be breathing because of all the bombs dropped in this illegal war. Yes illegal. Get past the soother people. She does not, nor will have the experience for years. Al the poor lady has is backing and scrips written by everyone involved in this 8 year mess. May your god bless you the people, not theirs. I still have faith the real American women equal to any man will see through this disgusting attempt to start yet another war. The surge did not work. You will never change those people and have no business there. Just a calm before the storm, and yes the Republicans can hide much from you till election day.

Posted by: justadad55+ | September 5, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs fits in nicely with that crowd. A has-been football coach on the same night as a has-been politician. As long as Snyder doesn't hire him back, I couldn't care less what that loser does at the RNC. He'll fit right in.

Posted by: Jazi | September 5, 2008 2:14 AM | Report abuse

This is, indeed, disappointing. I will always love the Coach for what he did in the past, but I'm threw w/him now!

Posted by: redeaglesix | September 5, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

For some reason, I'm not too surprised. I kind of thought that Gibbs might be a jive dude.

Posted by: Liz | September 4, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs is up.

Posted by: JakeD | September 4, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I hope that this is not a sign of some scandal in Gibb's life or that he is veering off into hypocrisy.
I'm thinking of Bristol and Levi, Diaper Dan, Wide -Stance Larry or Lyin' Sarah.

Posted by: Fred | September 4, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

It was always clear that Gibbs leaned toward the fundamentalist side...and mixed his religion with the sport. I admired Joe the first time around, but grew weary of his belief that you can pray yourself to victory (over the prayers of coaches and players on the other side, of course). For me, Joe now is history in more ways than one. Go Skins!!! Go Obama!!!!

Posted by: srs21 | September 4, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Democrats are such a sorry bunch of losers. If they can't get their way, they cry like little babies and bad mouth everyone in sight. Go find your binky little baby and STFU.

Posted by: ArchRival | September 4, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Two washed up guys on the same night -- nice fit.

Posted by: dmcgoldrick | September 4, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I always knew Gibbs was a part of the trailer park, nascar, republiklan set.

Posted by: cartyo | September 4, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

It's 3rd & 10 and McCain should listen to Joe Gibbs and run it up the middle for a gain of 3, because that's all this Palin pick is.

Posted by: SkinsFan | September 4, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

JOE IS A COME MIERDA

Posted by: naranjayo | September 4, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

"Will he comment on Dan Snyder, Jim Zorn or the team's questionable draft strategy?"

Have to assume the team strategy in question is the RNC. At least this will be over tomorrow.

John McCain is already in his fourth quarter and 8 years too late. His Hail Mary VP pick is offensive and arrogant - clearly not a pick who will reach across aisles or heal divides. The RNC seems more to be looking for a fight - as opposed to finding common ground with the rest of America.

Posted by: DonJulio | September 4, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I am a Dallas Cowboys fan! But tonoght I will be cheering for the Skins!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Republicans talk trash about Democrats receiving Hollywood support, yet think nothing of parading out their own cavalcade of famous supporters. It's good for the NASCAR vote!

Posted by: Liverspot | September 4, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs - go back to football where we respect you. You don't belong in that wasp's nest. This is very disappointing...

Posted by: Chuck | September 4, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

That's disgusting.

I'm glad that bastard Gibbs it out of here. Bible thumping idiot!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Please, there is NO choice. The game!

Posted by: Edwin | September 4, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Say it Ain't So Joe. Well, perhaps you can learn something from this post.

Actually on stage, IN CHURCH (speaking of the troops)
“Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God,” she said.
Sarah Palin

This was not a task from God. I know a little about God too. I also know that God doesn't lie. So if He told our "national leaders" (Pres. Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and others) that there were weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq than there would have been Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq. That is why we went to war. It is on video. Colen Powell, who because he was embarrassed by this and is no where to be found, made this case before the United Nations. Now the Bible says that satan is the father of all lies. That means that lies orginated from satan.
Now who lied, God or man. In the Bible it says in Titus 1:2 in the NIV version "a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time," The fact is people, including Mrs. Palin would rather believe a lie, believe man, rather than believe God. That's why I advocate keeping politics out of the pulpit. You see, especially you so-called religious right and religious wrong, journalist might not read their bible, but I read my Bible and you just can't walk up on stage and tell me anything and think that I would believe it.

Posted by: Say It Ain't So Joe | September 4, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I always wondered about Coach Gibbs mistreatment of Art Monk and Doug Williams.

This says it all.

Things are seldom what they seem.
Skimmed milk sometimes masquerades as cream.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

How pathetic. What qualifies a lousy has-been football coach to speak at a national political convention.? Oh, I forgot, the Republicans don't care about qualifications. After all, isn't "Harvard Law School" an epithet?

Posted by: bluestategirl | September 4, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Rule #1: Religious Republican politicians are NEVER to be trusted.

Rule #2: Religion is a contrivance to gain & keep control of behavior & money.

Rule #3: When in doubt while voting, refer to Rule #1.

Posted by: wise one | September 4, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Not surprising as many coaches in the NFL are more or less conservative (George Allen anyone?)... and a NASCAR owner to boot (Hello corporate sponsors?!)

Thanks for the Super Bowl victories but what he does off the gridiron... who cares.

GO REDSKINS! GO OBAMA!!!

Posted by: Louis | September 4, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry to see Gibbs join a pathetic group of losers like the GOP. I'll be watching real Americans play football, thanks.

Posted by: CJ | September 4, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I'll be watching the game. If Joe hadn't thrown the team under the bus last year we wouldn't have been able to confirm that he was a Republican. I guess that goes with his cheating in NASCAR. Let them have their party and try to get back to Washington. I'm already here and God willing, I'll be here when if they get here, and I'll be here when they go. They are only talking about changing a couple of buildings in Washington. They will never change the REAL Washington because they don't even know where it is.

Posted by: CW | September 4, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I would have never thought Joe Gibbs would be a Senator Craig supporter. Too Bad

Posted by: skinsfan | September 4, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Sad that old school evangelicals still think the GOP is their only answer. Hasn't George W. Bush taught them anything?

After talking a good Christian game, this administration has bent the rules on everything from torture to political litmus tests for hiring in the Justice Department.

Sorry Coach Gibbs, but this administration has been "fighting its guts out" in selfish, partisan manner over the past 8 years. Gov Palin has made me lose faith in John McCain's ability to stand up to extremists in the GOP.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 4, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

How many houses in D.C. only have one television set? How about listen to the game on the radio and watch C-SPAN?

Does anyone know if Obama Communication Director, Robert Gibbs, is related to Coach Gibbs?

Posted by: JakeD | September 4, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Ridiculous. No Redskin fan will watch some idiotic political convention when a real live football game is on. & I'm glad the old man has moved on, his phony "Christian" BS only hurt the football team. & he's quite a Christian, cheating at NASCAR.
Good riddance.

Posted by: Freddie Mick | September 4, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Go Joe! Go Skins! Go Obama! Enough said!

Posted by: Dave | September 4, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Joe, I love you, make no mistake on that. I will always love you, but you're killing me here with this RNC gig.

Posted by: Kate | September 4, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Don't they have TiVo in D.C.?

Posted by: JakeD | September 4, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Who cares really. Joe was mediocre his 2nd time around and is now HISTORY.

Posted by: JC | September 4, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Watch the game. Only winners would listen to Coach Gibbs.

Posted by: Zippy | September 4, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse