McCain Prepares for RNC Speech

Note: Please upgrade your Flash plug-in to view our enhanced content.

Sen. John McCain previews the stage at the Republican National Convention on Thursday afternoon ahead of his acceptance speech. (AP)

John McCain's campaign has released limited advance excerpts from his remarks tonight to the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn:

On running mate Alaska Governor Sarah Palin:

"I'm very proud to have introduced our next Vice President to the country. But I can't wait until I introduce her to Washington. And let me offer an advance warning to the old, big spending, do nothing, me first, country second Washington crowd: change is coming."

On solving problems in Washington:

"The constant partisan rancor that stops us from solving these problems isn't a cause, it's a symptom. It's what happens when people go to Washington to work for themselves and not you.

Again and again, I've worked with members of both parties to fix problems that need to be fixed. That's how I will govern as President. I will reach out my hand to anyone to help me get this country moving again. I have that record and the scars to prove it. Senator Obama does not."

On love of country:

"I fell in love with my country when I was a prisoner in someone else's. I loved it not just for the many comforts of life here. I loved it for its decency; for its faith in the wisdom, justice and goodness of its people. I loved it because it was not just a place, but an idea, a cause worth fighting for. I was never the same again. I wasn't my own man anymore. I was my country's."

By Web Politics Editor  |  September 4, 2008; 7:42 PM ET
Categories:  Conventions , John McCain , Primary Source , Republican Party
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Did Palin Borrow 'Lipstick' Schtick?
Next: Obama Appears on O'Reilly's Show

Comments

Life is not simple, political life is. Your children never will be in harms way at war, so talk is cheap. Most do not no what it is like to struggle.
Leaving it at that, the Republicans VP, soother in mouth, rifle ready is just a mouth piece. If you shot a deer you would know that the animal will look right at you knowing it's killer. A rifle is not a natural predator they are used to. and unless you are poor and can't afford to buy food what's the thrill. is it the cutting, the trophy, or the man made weapon of destruction. Any idiot can kill., these mavericks make me sick. If you want a female VP, go for a real naturalist. Lots of bull seems to excite you people and I question why. I prey her son does not come back dead or disabled for life, by fire power or the poisoned air he will be breathing because of all the bombs dropped in this illegal war. Yes illegal. Get past the soother people. She does not, nor will have the experience for years. Al the poor lady has is backing and scrips written by everyone involved in this 8 year mess. May your god bless you the people, not theirs. I still have faith the real American women equal to any man will see through this disgusting attempt to start yet another war. The surge did not work. You will never change those people and have no business there. Just a calm before the storm, and yes the Republicans can hide much from you till election day.

Posted by: justadad55= | September 5, 2008 3:43 AM | Report abuse

We need to catch up with history?
We need to protect our security?
What the fox?

Posted by: Brock | September 4, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

As far as i'm concerned, I don't think that McCain should be the next President of the united States. From his speech I have a strong feeling that he would be the next BUSH.
On his introduction to his running-mate, the country hardly know her. So, what's the point? The country is CURIOUS to know who she REALLY is.
The issue in D.C., how about the whole country in general! The country have a bunch of crime problems that it's ridiculous. People not getting a good education so EVERYBODY can have the chance to succeed. THE WAR IN IRAQ!!!! BRING THEM HOME!!!! Last but CERTAINLY not least, his love for the country. If he loved the country so much, he should've had a flag pin on him since birth! To be honest, I really don't want to deal with this again. It's...unbelievable

Posted by: Chaniqua | September 4, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Let's trust the Republicans to dig us out of a hill only they could dig.

If McCain were the McCain of 2000, I'd believe it. That McCain had dignity, honor, courage to stand up for what he believes in. Nowadays? Not so much. 2008 McCain is nothing but a puppet. And it's a shame. 8 years ago he would have made a great leader!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Why do I keep thinking of Granpa Simpson...

"One trick is to tell ‘em stories that don’t go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on ‘em. ‘Give me five bees for a quarter,’ you’d say.
Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

Posted by: old man McCain | September 4, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

What the republicans would say about this speech...

"I fell in love with my country when I was a prisoner in someone else's"

Hold on ! You mean you didn't love your country before you where a POW!!
I (Republican candidate) have always loved my country..I was in the womb with flag pin on my umbilical cord!

Posted by: shoe on the other foot | September 4, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Was Fred Barnes sitting with the Florida delegation?

Posted by: JakeD | September 4, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

The POW stuff is a little much. Can't he get past that and lay out why folks should vote for him on issues? He needs some real substance in tonight's speech.

Posted by: matt | September 4, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

How the hell do you stay awake during a McCain speech?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Big news : Obama closest friend Kilpatrick is going to jail for something he did.. :)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

McCain is the leader and true mavrick with wonderful selfless service to nation who is ready to lead america forward. Good luck and best wishes.

Posted by: Tom | September 4, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse