Obama Brushes Back Convention Attacks

Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) speaks to the media at the Voith Siemens Hydro Power Plant in York, Penn., Sept. 4, 2008. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

By Shailagh Murray
YORK, Penn. -- Sen. Barack Obama addressed reporters just now and had feisty words for Gov. Sarah Palin, Sen. John McCain, and all the other Republicans who have been railing against him in St. Paul this week. Some highlights follow below:

Summing up the Republican National Convention so far: "I understand they don't have much of an agenda to run on. But I think the American people deserve better than to get the same old vitriol and slash-and-burn politics that we've been seeing over the last couple of days. We are going to tell the American people exactly what I and Joe Biden and an Obama administration intend to do to make their lives better. And I hope at some point the Republicans decide to engage in that debate."

On being ridiculed during primetime by Palin and former Mayor Rudy Giuliani for his work as a community organizer: "They're talking about the three years of work that I did right out of college, as if I'm making the leap from two or three years out of college into the presidency. I would argue that doing work in the community, to try to create jobs, to bring people together, to rejuvenate communities that have fallen on hard times, to set up job training programs in areas that have been hard hit when the steel plants closed, that that's relevant only in understanding where I'm coming from. Who I believe in. Who I'm fighting for. And why I'm in this race. And the question I have for them is, why would that kind of work be ridiculous? Who are they fighting for? What are they advocating for? They think the lives of those folks who are struggling each and every day, that working with them to try to improve their lives, is somehow not relevant to the presidency? Maybe that's the problem."

On whether the Palin coverage has been sexist: "If they want to work the refs they are free to do so. And I think the public can make their judgments about this. The notion that any questions about her work in Alaska is somehow not relevant to her potentially being vice president of the United States, doesn't make too much sense to me. I think she's got a compelling story. But I assume she wants to be treated the same way that guys want to be treated, which means that their records are under scrutiny. I've been through this for nineteen months. She's been through it what, four days so far?"

Why not criticize Palin more directly, in light of the shots she's fired at him? "John McCain's running for president. I'm running against John McCain....That speech that she delivered was on behalf of John McCain. The central question in this campaign is, who's got a better plan, a better agenda, to move this country forward and fundamentally change it from the economic and foreign policy failures that we've seen over the last eight year? I believe that the American people need change, they want change, and I'm in the best position to bring it."

By Web Politics Editor  |  September 4, 2008; 4:27 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: About Those Community Organizing Years...
Next: DNC's First General Election Ad to Air in Michigan

Comments

It won't be 4 more years of George Bush, It'll be 12 to 16 years of Sarah Palin and a recapturing of both houses of Congress by Red State women.

85 ,000 boys died protecting Americas shores from the threat of Communism.

It was Americas' women that protected Her interior from the threat of Communism.

Posted by: rtfanning | September 9, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Susan Eisenhower: Barack is the best choice (CNN Interview)

When Dwight Eisenhower's granddaughter Susan said "Yes we can!" over 84,000 supporters at the Democrat Convention cheered her on and yelled "Yes we can!"

My Favorite Eisenhower Story From Wikipedia. Dwight could have been a Professional Football player?

At West Point, Eisenhower made the football team. He started as a varsity running back and linebacker in 1912. In a bit of a fabled match-up, he even tackled the legendary Jim Thorpe in a 1912 game.

Ike Eisenhower and Harry Truman Fans supporting Change We can believe in!

Obamacans for Obama/Biden '08

Posted by: Republican Football Fan | September 7, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

After John McCain is elected president, we will look back and understand Barack's biggest mistake was to choose Joe Biden for VP instead of Hillary Clinton, and by doing so ignored and rejected 18 million democrats.

The choice of Joe Biden, a Washington insider negated the flag of change that Barack had been waiving.

On the other side, John McCain's choice of a woman with no ties to Washington, stole away from Barack the flag of "Change" and this maverick choice energized and excited the country and many demoralized Hillary supporters who ended voted for Sarah Palin for VP.

Country First!
Democrats for McCain/Palin!

Posted by: Manolete | September 7, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

For those commenters saying that Obama hasn't talked about his policies - I look on his website and there is plenty of concrete policy discussion. I look on McCain's website and all I can find are attacks on Obama.

Posted by: Dave from Nebraska | September 7, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I just listened to Obama address a rally. He spoke on and on about how bad things are in this country, but offered no solutions. Of course, many Democrats don't like Palim. She, however, has dealt with problems in her state, has a record and a philosophy of governing. Obama offers us a partisan record based on tax and spend and a running mate that has spent 35 years in the Senate. Obama offers us more of why few of us like Washington.

Posted by: Jeff in Orlando | September 6, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Why did democrats choose obama, the only candidate in this election friends with criminals (rezko and Auchi), fraud (Kilpatrick and Family) anti-americans (radical pastor Wright and Michelle obama) and terrorists (Ayers & Dhorn)?

We do not know much about this guy and his background looks dark

Posted by: Anonymous | September 6, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

If anyone honestly thinks that hordes of women will be voting for McCain just because there is a woman on the ticket, then I have a Bridge to Nowhere to sell you. Palin is an embarrassment to the feminist movement. Make no mistake, she is here to pull in the right wing, and the right wing she will get.

Posted by: Rin | September 6, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

After listening to the speech Palin delivered the other night and reading some of the remarks made here, I am convinced that the level of political discourse in this country has been reduced to the level of the snarky blog comment.

God damn America.

Posted by: anonymous | September 6, 2008 3:17 AM | Report abuse

Game over folks. Normal rules do not apply.

Female turnout will be so massive Palin / McCain wins by a landslide.

Posted by: julia | September 6, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

We know McCain and his brave service record. We know that he is true american hero. WE know Cindy Mccain's record of service.

Who is Obama? what has he done for this country which has provided him all that he has? What has his wife Michelle done for this great country?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

"Oh, and Victor, just between you and I, Barack did not know which side of the Georgia/Russia conflict we are on until the day after he was asked about it... that really inspires trust in his foreign relations experience, huh"

So what... when Bush heard Russia was invading Georgia he said "they'll never take Atlanta!!!"

Posted by: Patrick | September 5, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

A class act, always. I think that will shine through at the debates, and the stake will be driven through the heart of McCain once and for all.

Posted by: DemoDevil | September 4, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to voice a minority view on Palin (whose speech I utterly despised last night). I think McCain honestly thinks he has a serious winner here, and, trying hard to think like a Republican, maybe, in Republican terms, he's right.
The last 'great' Republican president was Reagan, by most accounts. What did Reagan know about government and foreign policy? Not much, even after eight years in office. Detail and policy weren't his thing. He was the ultimate big picture guy, with a simple philosophy that he stuck to like glue. He had an amazing ability to bond with people from the podium, and he parlayed that straight into the White House.
So here's Palin. She probably couldn't find Pennsylvania on a map, but, I have to admit, she did a great job delivering that load of tripe last night. She lit up the hall.
I think the Republicans might start to think they have their next Reagan, and that McCain was the first one to pick up on it.
The terribly depressing thing about this country is the uncanny ability people like Palin have to resonate with a terrifyingly huge portion of the electorate - the part that lives between the coasts. She may be a right wing fraud who doesn't know beans about government or governing. So what that she's in line to jump from governing 6000 to 310,000,000 in the course of twenty four months. None of it matters. They like her.

Posted by: 661oldpost | September 4, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

If Palin isn't successful in teaching abstinence in her *own* home, what makes her think that school teachers will have any more luck? Bristol Palin is a poster-child for abstinence education.

Posted by: Nuffsaid | September 4, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Palin is blaming the Dems for spreading lies about her family. What a joke. This pitbull in lipstick can't figure out she is her own worst enemy. Just another lying politician. Reformer, look at her record in Alaska, total BS.

Posted by: Hoffmann | September 4, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Charlette | September 4, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I would agree that Bristol Palin's pregnancy is irrelevant except it so richly proves that teaching abstinence only fails abysmally. The United States has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the world. Even worse, children taught abstinence only are not being educated about STD's. It is a policy that is actually harming thousands.

Posted by: L | September 4, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

folks, please check out this hilarious piece by Jon Stewart where he absolutely deconstructs Rove & Co. with their OWN words and lays open their blatant hypocricy.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

another karl rove campaign, but they wont fool the american people this time, the choice is clear. ask yourself am i better off now then i was eighth years ago i say noooooo. its funny how the republican future,s stars avoided their convention example charlie crist, jeb bush, even arnold .they even shipped poor dick cheney overseas. they see the writing on the wall of a losing ticket oh well maybe youll have a chance in 2016 go barack one more thing does anyone know are there laws in alaska about having sex with a minor if this boy is 18 an adult and shes 17 isnt that unlawful and shouldnt the governor of the state uphold the laws.

Posted by: demfl | September 4, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

ALL I have to say about Sarah palin is.... id hit that LOL!

OBAMA '08

Posted by: 100mCHAMP | September 4, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Senator McCain is so glad the NVA kicked his ass in Hanoi.

Gov. Palin is so glad she has no experience.

And Rev. Jim Dobson is so glad he gets to endorse an adulterer and a mother with an un-married pregnant daughter!

People, God has just turned the world upside down!

Posted by: John Quimby | September 4, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I was not that impressed with her speech. It doesn't demonstrate anything except that she can present a speech that someone else wrote. I heard a sarcastic tone and alot of her attacks were mocking Obama. I believe that you should be able to attack your political opponent on issues without belittling them as a person. I was turned off when she tried to attack Obama on experience--her words didn't ring true.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the scariest aspect of Palin as VP is that it shows how bad McCain's judgment is. He clearly did not pick her based on her qualifications but rather for her political appeal: woman (historic campaign), religious conservative, etc. So, he's willing to place a lesser candidate in a position as potential President just to get votes for this election. How is that putting 'Country First'? I think McCain should change their slogan to 'Election First'.

Posted by: k2source | September 4, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

This is why I stopped wasting my hard earned money on these "centrist, we-are-nice people and so are you-Democrats"

Time and again, NEGATIVE ADS prove to have worked, time and again the Democrats LOSE, and they keep saying the same old stuppid things over and over... "Oh, the American people won't stand for these old, negative politics."

Yes, they do! The GOP has collected roughly 5 out of the last 7 presidential elections and ALL OF THEM through employing CONCERTED, image-shaping-distorting tactics.

Obama says, "I am above that!" Kerry said the same thing. Max Cleland said the same thing. Jimmy Carter said the same thing...

Bill Clinton just got lucky. Statistics got tired of recording nothing but GOP and so it recorded one Dem the lasts 20 years... NEGATIVE TACTICS work!, silly Dems! If they didn't work, why would GOP have been so keen employing them all these years?

The American people are STILL THE SAME: they CAN BE swayed to believe ANY THING, if done cleverly enough and long enough. But, as always, Dems are not bright enough to understand such basic principles of human undertaking,,,,

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Comments from my Republican friends: "white trailer trash"; "McCain is a moron to choose her". You want a creationist, right-wing radical female version of Dick Cheney as a vice president?? The same type of vicious, amoral, unprincipled, inflexible, cold-blooded personality who has no idea how to work the angles in Washington like Cheney? The number of voters that cast their ballot for McCain-Palin is the number of wackos that are registered voters in this country.

Posted by: Richard Bentley | September 4, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Nic - Community Service is a noble endeavor, probably helped to shape Barack and made him a better person as a result.

However the issue is that he trumpets this experience as making him fit for the Presidency. I'm sorry but I don't want our next President to be someone who totes his experience as a community organizer, historically American has expected a bit more out of their President and that will come out in November.

-----------

Somewhere I read that Obama said he didn't intend for his work as a community organizer to be taken for experience that qualified him for the Presidency, but instead as an indication of who he was, who he was fighting for, and why he was in this race. I forget where it was quoted, though.

Oh wait, I remember now. It was this very article, paragraph three, just a few scrolls up.

What qualifies him to be president is that he is an extremely intelligent individual, holds a JD from Harvard, taught constitutional law for 8 years, spent 8 years in the state legislature and 4 years in the Senate. His work in the community was just a practical demonstration that he cares about people and their problems. He is also charismatic, and like it or not, that matters a lot when it comes to leading people.

I'd like to hear more about his plans and how he intends to tackle the critical issues, but I don't believe for one second that he is any less up to the job than John McCain.

Posted by: Joe | September 4, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

jen-
you are extremely ignorant. abortion is not murder....people like you should actually be forced to have them, to rid the world of idiots.

Posted by: erin | September 4, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

FELLOW AMERICANS AM A REPUBLICAN BUT I WILL VOTE OBAMA AND BIDEN MEANWHILE.,
HOW CAN PALIN USE A WHOLE ONE HOUR ATTACKING OBAMA INSTEAD OF TELLING US WHAT SHE WILL DO FOR OUR CLOSED HOUSES AND DEAD ECONOMY?
WHY NOT TALK ABOUT HER 17 YEAR OLD PREGNANT DAUGHTER WHO IS A BAD EXAMPLE FOR AMERICAN KIDS?
WHY DID SHE FIRE A COMMISSIONER FOR FAILING TO FIRE A COP WHO IS MARRIED TO HER SISTER?
THIS NONSENSE FROM PALIN IS MISGUIDED AND GIVEN THAT MCCAIN IS TOO OLD,OBAMA IS THE ONLY WAY...MY DAD IS REPUBLICAN,MY MUM IS REPUBLICAN AND MY FOUR BROS AND TWO SISTERS ARE REPUBLICAN WHO WILL VOTE OBAMA AS PRESIDENT.
WE NEED OUR ECONOMY BACK NOT ABUSES
WE NEED JOBS BACK NOT NONSENSE
WE NEED OUR HOMES BACK NOT STUPIDITY
WE NEED OUR REPUTATION BACK NOT ABUSES
OBAMA/BIDEN FOR AMERICA

Posted by: wesley clinton | September 4, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Palin is against sex education. Look at her daughter what happened without sex education. When a hispanic or a black teen girl gets pregnant they are considered irresponsible. ( I'm neither hispanic nor black). What about governor's daughter? Probably she was not being parented properly. She does not balance work and family she probably has maids taking care of kids unlike common working moms. In her speech she did not mention any specific plans but only criticized dems and sang in praise of McCain. Read about her on wikipedia. She is almost like a dictator firing people working under her without reason. She basically bully people. She will be worse than Cheney. I despise who believe the world was created by god in 6 days and support teaching creationism in science classes. 50% of the people on the earth have below average IQ and she is one of them. We don't need such a person in a high office. We can do better than that.

Posted by: mka | September 4, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I have a rough understanding of how Obama got to where he is now and also of John McCains journey.

Both admiral in different ways.

At this point in time I feel that Obama speaks intelligently and has the ability to lead. His response to the Republican convention proves that.

I have the impression that McCain is becoming a bit like Nixon, in that he sees in his opponent the things he wants to be but can't quite be.

Obama also supports and has plans for the issues I care about so he will get my vote.

Posted by: my reasons | September 4, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

The contrast between Obama and the Republicans -- and, frankly, most Democrats, although they kept it in check for their convention -- is stark. He's a gentleman. How he does it while everyone else in national politics acts like third graders is a minor miracle.

Posted by: davestickler | September 4, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I feel maybe it is time for a response from an outsider. After reading many of the responses on this site and other sites on the web and following your country's progress over the last number of years it still amazes me the way America thinks.Your County has been run by the wealthy who continue to put the little guy front and center for their abuses while they enjoy the good life and all it's benefits. Reminds me much of the Roman Empire.Your leaders have become rich and powerful beyond imagine as they work through lies and corruption to get what they want.They have fabricated stories to get the rest of the world on their side in order to accomplish this.Their corruption has even spilled beyond the borders of your own county and has caused much loss of life and suffering for your friends and allies.
As I see things from my side...America was once a great allie and help us bring the world to a better place. This is the first time since the Second World War that I have seen opportunity for the American people to acheive that great standing again.Please do not let this opportunity to escape your grasp.Finnaly you have the opportunity to elect what I believe is a great leader.He comes from small beginnings,worked hard to acheive what he has accomplished and knows honestly what it takes to return your country to it's former self.It is beleiving in yourself...beleiving in each other...working together...and for a right,moral and just cause.Taking resposibility for your actions...being your brother and sister's keeper and being responsible for your family and friends. Start with the change in yourself and let it be contagious and let it grow to change everyone for the better.These are not unatainable goals, these are all within your reach.Obama speaks wisely. Improve education and improve your odds for success.Improve your country.
AS for the other canidates, I beleive they want to help their country too. But do they see things as most ordinary citizens. Do you think they worry about the decision to pay either for the food on the table this month or the heating oil to heat their house.Or if they can afford that next family surgery that is necessary ? I think not...so how are they to understand and why would they care about you having to make that decision. They keep laying on the POW and housewife experiences.If that's the case there are a lot of qualified people in America that should be running for President or VP. But would you pick them to run the country with that experience alone? I hope not. It has always been the fact that it takes rich people to run for the oval office, and they are indeed out of touch with how most Americans live.
So for the first time you have someone that has not come from that background...but has been able to be funded to run...who has excellent intelligence...good morals...many reasons to bring about a better future for his children, his wife, his family and everyone elses in America.. a great speaker who can motivate the people, which America so desperately has to do and a good VP backing him.
Why would it be so difficult for you to make that choice.
Please make the right choice for you, your familes, your country and realistictly the whole world.

Posted by: robert.snow | September 4, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Tim - you better go lie down.
Trying to think has obviously confused you.
Give it 30 minutes and try again.

Love
your mom

Posted by: Little timmys mommy | September 4, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Peter I called you an idiot because you said:

"...the most powerful politician in the World is chosen on whether or not they attend church, believe that everyday people have the right to keep assault rifles and have an opinion on abortion."

That is a ridiculous notion to assume that American people choose a President based upon abortion, religion, and gun rights and for making that notion was idiotic and offensive.

And I'm quite sure that your "Countrymen" would agree that to characterize our election solely around the three issues you concluded with probably doesn't do well to represent the whole of Australia.

Posted by: ben | September 4, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm voting mccain but I would totally do Bristols boyfriend Levi. I'm sure he'll cheat on her pretty soon. All 18yr old boys do.

Call me Levi!! Call Julia!!!!

YOu are so Hot and I'm much prettier than your fat pregnant underage girlfriend!!!

Posted by: julia | September 4, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Good speech Palin. Now what? Name calling in for 3rd graders. You are not as squeaky clean as you think you are. Are you prepared?

Posted by: goheidigo | September 4, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I wonder just how long its going to be before those naked pictures of Palin start showing up? Oh yeah, you know they are out there..............those good little christian girls can be so nasty.......just ask Bristol's boyfriend.

Posted by: THEY ARE OUT THERE | September 4, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Poor guy. Obama looked really sad. Did mama make him cry?

Posted by: julia | September 4, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Can some body tell me what has obama done for America in all his 47 or 48 years?

What has his wife Michelle done for America?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

MY REFERENCE BOOK: THE KING JAMES BIBLE

COMMUNITY ORGANIZER - JESUS

GOVERNOR - PONTIUS PILOT

VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN AND VOTE WITH GOD

Posted by: GOD IS VOTING FOR OBAMA | September 4, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Why is he continually brushing off these attacks. Does the man think he's made of telfon???? If he won't attack her then Biden better.

I mean, I can't believe the softness of Obama's campaign when it comes to responding to attacks. I'm actually getting quite sick of it.

------------------

I have to say, I admire him for it. Palin's remarks last night were petty, and even though they were handed to her as a script, it looks very childish. It is equally childish and embarrassing when democrats attack Palin's family or her parenting skills.

The country needs answers on huge issues:
- how do we exit Iraq gracefully?
- how do we restore the economy, solve the mortgage crisis, and reduce the deficit?
- how do we repair our foreign relations and reestablish influence in the world?
- what should we do to best protect ourselves against foreign threats?
- how do we restore the constitutional rights that have been steadily disappearing since 2001?

When the argument is reduced to petty name calling and personal attacks, everybody is losing. I think Obama would rather talk about answers to the above questions, and I hope McCain does too.

Posted by: Joe | September 4, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

There hasn't been a single islamic terrorist attack in Wassila Alaska since Palin has been governor over the last year! Palin has kept their meth labs safe, and she and her Bible will keep all of America safe too!

Posted by: Rodney | September 4, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

God Levi is so hot!!!!! I can't wait for him to start cheating on his 17 year old fat pregnant girlfriend!!!!! I'll do what your girlfriend won't....

Call me Levi!!!! I know you will!!!

Posted by: VERY NASTY GIRL | September 4, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

jeez.. reading all these comments and knowing what we know now,.. Obama is a scary thing to send to highest office of the world.. It looks like dems are doomed this fall.

Posted by: Tim | September 4, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Obama would be a better fit for a cabinet level position advising on domestic policy than for President of the United States.

Posted by: ben | September 4, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

A community organizer is someone who doesn't pour themselves a big glass of scotch so they can sign onto a blog and blow up another post.

A community organizer actually does something to bring people together to solve real problems. You know, like a hockey mom in the PTA.

Posted by: John Quimby | September 4, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Here's an analogy that might help:

Jesus was a community organizer.
Pontius Pilate was a governor.

Posted by: Adam M. | September 4, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

"Actually when I think about it the economy didn’t start to tank until 2006 when the Democrats took over the house and got a narrow majority in the Senate. Up until 2006 things were going pretty well for me and my business. I’ll have to give this whole dream of a Democrat controlled government some more thought."

Funny, they didn't actually take office until 2007.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

No Ben, you're a twit. It's not the same thing, thats why there is an "argument" over it.

Thank god for America that you're only embarrassing yourself.

Posted by: Hey Ben | September 4, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Obama's Harward Education was funded by radical muslim from Saudi Arabia..

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Ben, I normally don't respond to the sort of answer you posted. I suspect that I know a bit more about my Countrymen than you and I cannot imagine how they would accept your contention that expressing an opinion is an embarrassment to us, we are a bit more politically sophisticated than that.

I am also not a 'complete idiot' as you called me for holding an opinion that the election of the President of the United States should be more important than a personality contest. Any election must be both a competition of ideas and also a recipe for both solving current National problems and planning for the future. I have no particular interest in the success or failure of either of the candidates, but I would like to hear some more serious analysis of the solutions to the many problems that the Unites States faces, as these problems do flow out into the World at large, especially the economic issues.

My personal opinion on the issue of abortion is that it should be, as with all decisions in a Free World, one that individuals make for their own good reasons, not one that is dictated by dogma. Having an abortion is not a simple choice for any woman or her partner to have to make and it is in no way comparable to dropping a baby off a tall building.

Posted by: Peter | September 4, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Obama really is a gentleman and a stand-up guy. I will be so proud to live in this great nation with him as our President. I think his campaign must push just a little harder, but he really is doing an all-around fantastic job running this campaign. Just 2 more months to go, everybody go out and vote for the man who will secure our future.

Obama/Biden 08!

Posted by: chris | September 4, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Obama's profile looks bleak in comparison with Palin's executive experience. Biden is not even close to comparison :)

There is no comparision to america's true hero McCain and his selfless service to this great nation.

We are greatful to him and the troops who keep us safe in this part of the world from Islamic Fundamentalist terrorists.

God Bless!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Jen's point was that the liberal mindset of not taking responsibility for having sex and the human life that is created as a result is to blame for millions of abortions.

-----------------

And you're missing the point. Thanks to liberals fighting for YOUR right to choose, an untold amount of Christians can have a safe, sterile abortion without being subject to the ridicule and ostricization of their community. Don't pretend this doesn't happen in your community...what a lot of Americans are sick of is the blind hypocrisy voiced by you and your ilk.

Posted by: nic | September 4, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

What are the responsibilities of a "community organizer"?

------------

Since you're either a) Too lazy or B) Too hard-headed to look it up, here's the wiki link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_organizer

I don't really think you care, as you seem to be missing the entire point. Obama didn't get into community activism as a bullet point for his presidential resume...he did because of an ideological call to help the underprivelaged. He turned down a very prestigous clerkship opportunity in order to do so. As an accomplished Harvard grad,he could have chosen to do ANYTHING right after graduation. Why can't you admit this is noble of him? What are you trying to prove to yourself by denigrating this?

Posted by: nic | September 4, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Kilpatrick is finally jailed for his deeds.. putting himself and his family members first than City and Country. He is also a closest friend and fund raiser of Obama.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

oof - There are liberals in every state, including the so-called "bible belt"... and you're right, it is not only liberals that have abortions, I'm sure there are some conservatives out there too. But conservatives aren't always Christian.

And to all of those "Bible Freaks" out there... keep fighting to protect human life... most of us think it's worth it.

Posted by: hey oof | September 4, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

-------------

And if you paid attention to Obama's voting record and rhetoric, you'd see he agreed on the same initiative.

Posted by: nic | September 4, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

hey Jen, http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?cat=10&ind=465

Look at all those abortions taking place in the bible belt. Are the evil liberals traveling down there to force abortions on the true believers?

Looks like you bible freaks can't even stop your own abortions, why are you so intent on stopping other people?

Posted by: oof | September 4, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that statements made by those in support of Obama/Biden don't seem to hear the same if it comes from someone other than their favorite media source. If you listened carefully last night, Mrs Palin stated that she has already negotiated and signed the initiative to begin a natural gas pipeline. Not sure what the O/B team has done from their experienced vantage point of Washington.

This is just one example that the mainstream media did not portray as real news as opposed to the garbage that is being printed on the web or internet.

Posted by: ronfromtn | September 4, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Am from another country..I cant vote either. Yet this campaign has captivated me.

I watched both the Democratic and the republican nominees throughout their compaign. Poring through the news for every word they said and analyzed it with my impartial mind.

I see that America needs a soul in these hard times. Not a Manager with a classy washington experience. America once stood fro values with a hostory of great men like lincoln, kennedy roosevelt et al. A great country.

I wish the nominees respect each other. I wish all americans come together to realize that they are not isolated int his world and that we are all intrinsically connected.

Every decision of yours affect innocent lives around the world directly or indirectly. People die everyday for reasons unknown but arising from policy makers in Washington.

I'm not against Mr MCain and I'm not for Mr Obama. I wish the republicans would treat Mr Obama with respect.

There are lives at stake and bloody wounds to be healed. Houses to repair and relationships to mend. Jobs to make and integrity to be replenished.

Dont think small, think big. Wipe away all these small squabbles and look at the person each candidate and make your choice

Wake up to a new connected world,my dear friends - and choose wisely.

Insightful, thank you.

Posted by: ben | September 4, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

>I watch this campaign from Australia. Surely in a Country that is in recession, has a manufacturing industry in deep trouble, with millions of home repossessions, a massively expensive invasion, a stock market in free fall and runaway inflation there has to be something more important to analyse than whether or not someone supports abortion!

>The voters of the United States have a number of features that are not seen in my democracy. Firstly few of them bother to even get out and vote, and secondly the most powerful politician in the World is chosen on whether or not they attend church, believe that everyday people have the right to keep assault rifles and have an opinion on abortion.

>You would not choose the CEO of a major business based on these ideas, but it's quite OK to expect the most ordinary of people to make the most extra-ordinary of decisions. In a land that extols excellence you would rather elect someone who is just like the man or woman next door, even though you would never let them operate on your body, fix your dishwasher, arrange your retirement plans or teach your kids…strange World.

You're a complete idiot and you're embarrassing your country with your posts.

And by the way, you don't think that fighting for an unborn child is a worthwhile endeavor and hits at the very moral fabric of a society? Would you try and stop someone from dropping a newborn off of the top of a building? Isn't it the same thing?

Posted by: ben | September 4, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Wake up to a new connected world,my dear friends - and choose wisely.

Posted by: MR | September 4, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Shannon | September 4, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

What is a community organizer in the first place?

Posted by: Tom | September 4, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

What are the responsibilities of a "community organizer"?
How much resources need to be managed as a community organizer?
What services did he perform as a community organizer for America or true Americans?

Enlighten us please :)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

The housewife for VP gets her panties in a bunch when someone criticizes her paltry record. It is not sexist to challenge any candidate's qualifications for the Vice Presidency. Especially one that no one has ever heard of and took 6 years and 5 colleges to get a Bachelor's degree. Is that too much to ask? Well, we are going to ask and if you can't stand the heat--GO BACK INTO THE KITCHEN!

Posted by: C-Dog | September 4, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Exposed | September 4, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Baracuda,the ultra-conservative governor is the republican savior.

Baracuda sense of change isselling the state plane,firing Police chief because he refused to join her in a family vadetta,drilling,drilling but nothing more!!!

Posted by: joedurant | September 4, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Peter | September 4, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Not only was the speech delivered on McCain's behalf, but it was written by Bush cronies on Palin's behalf. The Repubs have found another sock puppet from hell.

Are Hockey Moms Grown In Hell?
What does it say about a person who jokes that lipstick is the only difference between herself and a pit bull… a dog known from multiple news reports for being unrelenting, uncontrollable and a deadly killer of children and people…?

Posted by: tank | September 4, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

It's puzzling to me that conservatives, by some unspoken measure, seem to think they're better off now than they were eight years ago, and will be even better off if they elect another Republican who wants to continue the policies of the last one.

The Bush, Jr. Administration began on January 20, 2000 with a balanced budget, four years of budget surpluses that were projected to continue for 20 years if the policies that produced the surpluses were left in place, and a federal debt that had declined to $5.7 trillion. This administration is handing the next president, whoever he is, the largest budget deficit in history and a federal debt that has increased to $9.0 trillion!

And now McSame wants to continue the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest 2%, continue the occupation of Iraq, the costliest "war" this country has ever started, increase the windfall profits of the major oil companies even further, deregulate even more the financial industry that produced the mortgage crisis, and continue to provide subsidies to global companies which continue to ship American jobs overseas.

What is the matter with you people?

Posted by: dmccrea | September 4, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Republican Football Fan.

Susan Eisenhower: Barack is the best choice (CNN Interview)

Ike Eisenhower and Harry Truman Fans supporting Change we can believe in

Obamacans for Obama/Biden '08

Posted by: Republican Football Fan | September 4, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Whoo-hooo!!! We're finally discussing an issue on this board! Congratulations everyone!

Posted by: Nic | September 4, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

-------------

Eh, I'm a democrat, and I don't believe abortion is okay. I certainly don't think abortion is an acceptable answer here at all.

But I do believe that other people have the right to decide that for themselves without the federal government getting involved. And I also believe that in the case of rape or incest or danger to her own health, a woman may have an legitimate reason to consider abortion.

Try not to get the idea that democrats and liberals just like going around killing unborn babies. A lot of us are just as unhappy with the idea as you are, but believe that it isn't a place where government regulation is appropriate. Honestly, republicans really should not need democrats to be telling them this.

Posted by: Joe | September 4, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

"has no control over her own daughter" - Children are individuals who make will make bad and impulsive decisions no matter how well-taught they are. They are humans just like everyone else. The more you "control" a child, especially a teenager, the more you may drive them in the opposite direction. Even if you lock your child up in a dungeon, if he/she wants to have sex, they will find a way. Children are not pets to be "controlled".

Posted by: Rick
________________________

Absolutely correct. That is precisely why abstinence-only sex education is foolish and cannot be relied upon to keep children from getting pregnant. Palin was naive in the extreme to support it. Teaching methods of contraception protects our children from the worst consequences of some of the bad decisions they're bound to make, as she's learned to both her and her daughter's chagrin.

Posted by: whatmeregister | September 4, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I realize she is pro-life and in support of abstinence only,

----------------

Thanks for proving our point...abstinece only education works great, doesn't it! Nevermind...I forgot this must have been God's will. Just like the Iraq War, which Palin said was the case.

This ideology is terrifying.

Posted by: nic | September 4, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

As Obama points out, his community organizing work occurred shortly after he left college. But the fact remains that he has done little else. It is critical that the public be aware of Obama's lack of any relevant executive experience, his lack of any qualifications to serve as Commander in Chief, and the nature of his chosen past associations. Calling attention to these facts does not constitute "slash and burn" politics or "vitriol".

Posted by: C.Nelson | September 4, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

"Never mind that she's an admitted pot smoker, was arrested for drunk driving, her daughter is having pre-martial sex (pregnant), supported the "bridge to nowhere" until it became unpopular, her husband belonged to an anti-American political group, she uses tax payer money to pay her bills, she fires people for no reason other than spite, and on and on.

All this is fact, in the books and has not been denied by Palin"

You don't research stuff very carefully do you? I suppose you also think it is a 'fact' that Santa Claus came down you chimney last year.

Posted by: pops | September 4, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Instead of being rude to her opponents or touting pro-life and pro-abstinence rhectoric, maybe Palin should be "pro-birth-control" for her teen daughter screwing around.

Posted by: tammy d | September 4, 2008 6:31 PM

Tammy, is Palin anti-contraceptives? I realize she is pro-life and in support of abstinence only, but I did not realize she opposed contraceptives. Could you please provide documentation?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

All the crap on here about pregnancy and bad parenting..I think these people are forgetting that the liberal's take their 17 year old daughter's to an abortionist to have the baby killed...this is to the tune of 40 million...humm!!! I thought liberals knew how to protect themselves......with 40 million dead babies I think there are many more pregnancies with liberals than conservative...the dead baby count is there to see.
Good parenting?..teaching their daughter's to muder???

Posted by: jen | September 4, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised by his response. Seems to be the same guy we've been seeing for awhile, now. He'll get my vote.

I find Sarah Palin to be very compelling as well, though. I've posted in great detail to other WAPO comments on this point. She's a great combination of personal accomplishments, faith and energy. Were I a Republican, her candidacy would seal the deal for me. If I were middle-of-the-road, it might be enough to make me waffle.

Honestly, I think she's getting a pretty easy pass in the press. It'll only get harder from here on out.

I read it on the Atlantic today that as Democrats we should focus on McCain. I would agree with that.

Posted by: LiberalFromDenver | September 4, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tammy d | September 4, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

The article in the Enquirer is called "Slammin Pallin" Literally! What a nasty freak...and she is suppose to be a mother....Maury Poverich had better DNA test all of them little critters....what's up with the little one and the glob of spit to spit shine the baby's hair? LMAO....I fell out the chair cracking up on that one...that's taking right out of the white trash playbook....them crackers are funny....

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

What a class act this man is.

Posted by: Berliner | September 4, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I hope they can keep Palin around long enough to debate Biden. That will be rich!!

Posted by: The One | September 4, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

What an intelligent, stand up dude!
----

Unfortunately, a large percentage of Americans have zero tolerance for intelligence. It's way too elitist for them...

Posted by: Nic | September 4, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Obama, is a great leader wiht great judgement and character, he's then man for the job. Palin is great a reading a script but she has no idea what she's talking about and what her plan is to help move this country forward...neither does John McCain, he doesn't know what it's like to have to work to earn more for you mortgage or medical care or food, he's got his bread buttered on both sides. Obama can relate to small people and at the same time relate to rich people, without making either feel to small or too big.
VOTE OBAMA!!!!!!! God will help him do the job!!

Posted by: Sherry | September 4, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Liar Palin Makes Me Laugh!!!

After watching the speech Bush's main speech writer wrote for a Univ Of Idaho Journalism Major read from a teleprompter I could only come to one conclusion. More of the Same................

I just love it when Palin says being gov on alaska makes her more qualified than OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT.

Let's see.....who's the last president or vice president to be a former gov.

Oh, that's right......George W. Bush.......all that experience really pays off doesn't it?

VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN AND VOTE FOR CHANGE

Posted by: TRAITOR MCBUSH | September 4, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

What an intelligent, stand up dude! Finally there is a candidate that i feel proud to vote for, and comfortable that he will take us where we need to go. He is my candidate, he is our candidate, and i can't wait until he is our president.

Posted by: Micah | September 4, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

MarinesAgainstMcCain - McCain was a Navy pilot on a carrier at sea and was shot down while on a mission over Hanoi. Why would he know anything about Marines near DaNang? It was most likely a local that the marines allowed in the base that gave the fire crews accurate info.

I seriously doubt you were every a marine.

Posted by: Alan | September 4, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Barack is a true con artist, not a gentleman. He has already taken you in

------------

Tom, in a modern society replete with con artists, it's a bit arrogant to think that you are somehow wiser than the rest of us. We are all end-products for hucksters looking to sell their product, idea or candidate. The very opinion you just expressed was put into your head by savvy PR people.

That said, my staunch support of Obama doesn't stem from some false idol worship of the man. It comes from the fact that I do not agree with any issue put forth by the conservative arm of the GOP. However, I did admire the character of the man at the head of your ticket for a while. That admiration is quickly being eroded. Lately, I've found myself mulling around one question in my head...If a man truly has such great character, then why must he try so hard to tear another man's down?

Posted by: nic | September 4, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

"I was a marine in Vietnam serving near DaNang.
Shortly after McCain got captured, all of our installations began coming under extremely accurate artillery fire."

If this wasn't the Internet, where everything is true, one just might think you made this up to make John McCain look bad.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin, the "celebrity" star that outshines Obama's and is now a GOP Cult hero.

All this is fact, in the books and has not been denied by Palin.

More embarrassment to come on Sarah Palin, that's a given.

I'd say the GOP Cult has swallowed their pride endorsing "celebrity" Sarah Palin, but Repugs have no pride just ambitions of power, power and more power. Power is what Cults like the GOP live for...

Posted by: Yeee Hawww | September 4, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

The Sarah Palin affair will torpedo McCain. The Enquirer just brought down John Edwards, now it's the republican's turn.

Posted by: Bill | September 4, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Bring on the few month old baby, wet his hair with spit, bring on the 17 yr old daughter with 5 month pregnancy and her "boyfriend" who is quoted as a red neck etc. and we have a family circus who would like to be in Washington for another circus. Let's get togehter.

Posted by: chet mccabe | September 4, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

what an angry white woman

Posted by: Matthias Hanika | September 4, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey there has anybody seen the Enquirer yet?

I heard its gonna have pictures of the guy that Sarah Palin had the affair with.

I heard the headline will read something like he was:

Nailin' Palin

Has anybody seen it yet?

Posted by: Party dude | September 4, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Planet-38 | September 4, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I was a marine in Vietnam serving near DaNang.

What was so surprising was that these were REAR areas that the NVA could not have seen.

We found out later that that freekin' John McCain had spilled his guts when he got captured. John McCain told the NVA exactly where everything was. John new because he flew over our base so many times.

The Marines, those that survived anyway, are no longer supporting John 'songbird' McCain for President of our great nation.

Semper Fidelis
Always Faithful (unlike John McCain)

Posted by: MarinesAgainstMcCain | September 4, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

posted by Artemis:
I've been a US Marine for well over 15 years and "I seen and heard Barack Obama vote NO for funding our troops - DURING A WAR!" Barack Obama is a TRAITOR to the people and his only interest is to advance himself. GOD BLESS John McCain, our new Commander in Chief, and Sarah Palin our new president of the senate.

Semper Fidelis
Registered Republican (and proud of it!)

EVEN MCCAIN WILL CALL YOU A LIAR ON THIS ONE.

Posted by: Dippa | September 4, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

The truth will out on Palin. Hang on to your a#@ McShame, you might lose it in the next few weeks.

Posted by: DM | September 4, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Now sinners!

Gather round' cuz it is time for me to exorcise those demons of sickness from your body!!!

Those of us, like Palin, can HEAL the infirm!!!

God gives all of us FUNDIES the power of faith healing.

(FACT look it up).

Posted by: Heal me with Faith | September 4, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Rick--

When your 17 year old daughter is having unprotected sex and getting pregnant, THAT is bad parenting. If Palin is cutting funding to unwed mothers programs and is being holier than thou when it comes to abstinence until marriage, her family is fair game for the left. She needs to practice what she preaches. So when is the shotgun wedding going to take place? Before or after the election?

Posted by: Bill | September 4, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

oqieucvkn woeijd;flk wioefl;dka

Oh never mind me, I'm just an evangelical, like Palin, speaking in tongues because God wants me to.

So whatever I do, lie, start a war, kill baby seals, slaughter wolves, shoot my friend in the face with a shotgun - whatever - it is all God's will so it's ok.

Posted by: Evangelist | September 4, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

"Oh, and Victor, just between you and I, Barack did not know which side of the Georgia/Russia conflict we are on until the day after he was asked about it... that really inspires trust in his foreign relations experience, huh?"

Just between you and me you might want to actually know what the conflict is about, before you decide which we should be on.
GW=Goddamn Wrong

Posted by: Ahn!!! | September 4, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

oqieucvkn woeijd;flk wioefl;dka

Posted by: Evangelist | September 4, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

The Republican Party is replete with liars, hypocrites, religious extremists and those who are incompetent at governing. Palin fits right in.

Posted by: Paul | September 4, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

oqieucvkn woeijd;flk wioefl;dka

Posted by: Evangelist | September 4, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Sarah palin is genuine for all the people filled with hatred and double standards. 5 min research on google shows her history. All the conservatives who support the policies of mccain and sarah palin should go and fight the iraq war themselves because they are so ignorant to research and educate themselves. By the way republicans are so big about winning the war they never mentioned whats the definition of winning!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

oqieucvkn woeijd;flk wioefl;dka

Posted by: Evangelist | September 4, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

All of those responses are so witty!! Can a democrat go more than 10 minutes without resorting to calling everyone they disagree with a Nazi? Not that I have ever seen or heard...

Posted by: who? | September 4, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

"She has become the biggest thing to rock this campaign."
Sad that it's true. You don't see something wrong that there's a bigger response to the second fiddle than the first?

Posted by: Ahn!!! | September 4, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rick | September 4, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Obama is just ticked because he doesn't have Palin on his Dim ticket. He has got old Joe Biden who said Obama was not ready to lead this country...but now Biden has changed his mind and said Obama was ready which time is he lying he can't have both ways.

Posted by: Jen | September 4, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I think it's funny that in the two days of the GOP convention I have not heard one word about our "economy".

Posted by: shelly | September 4, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Palin crapped out a big one last night. There were so many lies it was hard detail them all. Obama has written or helped write many laws. What has Palin written? Anyone??

Posted by: Bill | September 4, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

You gotta love this guy! Obama, the thinking persons candidate.

Posted by: LJ | September 4, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

“We are going to tell the American people exactly what I and Joe Biden and an Obama administration intend to do to make their lives better.”

This is what I’m waiting for. I’m tired of generalizations and happy feel good platitudes. I want specifics of what exactly he plans on doing. McCain’s plan is irrelevant in that he’ll never be able to make it happen. What many people don’t realize is that the president cannot write legislation; he can only sign it into law. Through surrogates in the house and Senate he can set policy. GWB wasted this opportunity when he had it. With Obama as president and a Democrat controlled house and Senate he we’ll be able to get his plans passed. McCain on the other hand will have his hands tied.

Posted by: Batgeek | September 4, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

So Barry, it's OK for you to attack John McCain and our current President during your convention speech? I heard a lot of "vitriol and slash-and-burn politics", as you put it, in your speech last week - painting McCain as "more of the same"...

BHO has been getting a free ride from the MSM. I'm glad to see that's coming to an end now. The American public is tired of all the bias.

The left claims they're not scared of her. Their actions prove otherwise. If Sarah Palin were such a "disastrous" choice for McCain, why are you trying so hard to discredit her? If she were so terrible, she wouldn't be an issue. She has become the biggest thing to rock this campaign. I predict a huge GOP victory in November!

Posted by: NObama | September 4, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

The only reason i am turning away from the Republican party is because I am tired of their hate. Obama consistently responds with respect to his challengers. He's tough yet fair minded.
I've not voted Democratic ever but i am certainly leaning that way now. I'm embarrassed at the Republican Convention as a representation of our country.

Posted by: madeline | September 4, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Barack is a true con artist, not a gentleman. He has already taken you in

Posted by: Tom | September 4, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

The epitome of stupidity of the liberals is beyond expression. Indeed liberals want change – They want to distort the American values with a false self-gratification pretense that an individual has the right to do whatever they want. I really want to attack Obamma, but too bad he doesn’t have any substance. Carl Marx and Obamma are alike: false ideology + liberals = communism. We've seen that future...

Posted by: O-no | September 4, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Artemis-

McCain has voted AGAINST EVERY veterans bill that has hit the floor including the New G.I.Bill. The military support Obama 6-1 over McCain.

Posted by: Bill | September 4, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I hope McCain can use his influence to keep a lid on the Palin investigation. Or Bush could do a pardon on her.

We cannot afford a DemocRAT president.

But if Palin gets arrested, then the obamanation will win.

Posted by: Bluto | September 4, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Education is important along with experience. Everyone seems to be forgetting the nitty-gritty aspects of president, mainly, the loads of reading, analysis, combing through legal jargon, etc. A law degree should be absolutely required for this job! At least a graduate degree of some kind... which neither McCain nor Palin has. Education isn't evil or elitist, it means that Obama and Biden have both shown the drive and desire to learn, crucial to a leader in an ever changing world.

Posted by: Katherine | September 4, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

This right here is why I'm voting for Obama. Even if you argue that McCain has more political experience, Obama always seems to have a clear, reasonable and rational response to whatever is thrown at him. He is a level-headed, thinking man, which is sadly such a rare thing in politics.

I don't hate McCain, either, although I admit I liked '04 McCain a lot more than I like '08 McCain. Of all of the people who the Republicans could run, I like him the most, and if he wins, it'll be a lot less hard to swallow than Bush's re-election in '04.

I just happen to think Obama is a better choice. At least it's not '04 all over again, where I feel like I've lost no matter who wins.

Posted by: Joe | September 4, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Barack Obama is a true gentleman.

Posted by: Olive | September 4, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

No offense, Mr. Natural, but who is the new sheriff? McCain? Palin?

If that's the kind of sheriff you are looking for... then I'm looking for Robin Hood.

Posted by: Blip | September 4, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Palin has to stay in an undisclosed location because the liberals are seriously panicking right now, and would probably try to assassinate her because she spells DOOM for their candidate. How dare she value the life of an unimportant unborn human child, when she should be fighting to protect animals, because that's far more important than the "lives" of "fetuses".

Posted by: Rick | September 4, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Obama wants to change everything alright to the ways of Rev Wright, Farrakhan, Ayers and all the other Chicago thugs.

Posted by: jen | September 4, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I've been a US Marine for well over 15 years and I seen and heard Barack Obama vote NO for funding our troops - DURING A WAR! Barack Obama is a TRAITOR to the people and his only interest is to advance himself. GOD BLESS John McCain, our new Commander in Chief, and Sarah Palin our new president of the senate.

Semper Fidelis
Registered Republican (and proud of it!)

Posted by: Artemis | September 4, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

At this point I'ld almost vote "R"; just so I wouldn't have to hear all the whining about unfair media coverage post election.
Almost.
;-)

Posted by: Ahn!!! | September 4, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Yes i agree. Obama is a gentleman, intellectual with a big heart. I really hope he gets elected, than American sees in him what millions have already seen: HOPE.

Posted by: Reality | September 4, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Barack has done a fantastic job of responding to those whining Republicans. How can John McCain pick Sarah Palin when Sarah Palin and her husband were members of the Alaska Independance party? Meaning they wanted Alaska to become it's own country and split from the United states. Yeah sure, Sarah Palin cares about Americans, she didn't wanted to be one. John McCain needs a judgement check!

Posted by: carboy1995 | September 4, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

McCain should fire Palin's speech writers.

They put words in her mouth that aren't true... and then she says them without any clue about what she's talking about.

Speech writers who work in demonstrable falsehoods are a liability to a candidate.

Posted by: Blip | September 4, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Say goodnight Senator Obama.

There's a new sheriff in town.

Posted by: Mr. Natural | September 4, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

this election will show what is the inteligent/less inteligent populus ratio in america.

did we improve since bush was re-elected?

i hope!!!!

joke of a year = vp of usa - palin

Posted by: John Birch | September 4, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

how about this:

libs-hated it

cons-loved it

Posted by: Jeff | September 4, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Barack sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. It appears he thinks it is ok for him not to have a plan and to downgrade the other party.

Posted by: Mark | September 4, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks Pallin's speech last night was any more vitriolic or rude than Obama's needs to refresh their memories with the text of his acceptance speech (see link below). I'm not a McCain flag waiver, but these charges by both Obama and the press today do seem to support the "liberal press" argument.

Posted by: Bill | September 4, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Palin wants to legislate YOUR son's and daughters behavior, yet has no control over her own daughter. Oh...I forgot, can't attack the family.

Posted by: Bill | September 4, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Candela!!!That is FIRE in spanish. What an answer! Obama is a gentleman, an extraordinary politician and a very special human being. Those are the reasons because more and more people are going to vote for him in November.

Posted by: Carlos | September 4, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

What a gentleman!! This is why 18 million Americans voted for and supported Barak Obama. What class, what authenticity, what intelect, what an articulate, intelligent young man!! He is going to make us Americans Proud! He'll make a fine President. A miliestone based on the dumb, old drunken retard Prez that we currently have robbing the white house and the middleclass. Get these idiots out of the office and inveestigate them all for war crimes, abuse of power, etc! It's on!!! and I can't wait.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 5:35 PM
______________________________
what garbage

Posted by: jen | September 4, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe Palin and McCain (who must have okayed the reference) are not getting more flack about the community organiser reference. This was so sleazy. I strongly recommend you watch what Jay Smooth has to say about it on The Republican Haters Ball . See here: http://www.illdoctrine.com/

Posted by: Leboyfriend | September 4, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

What is the difference between Republicans and Talibans? Even last 3 letters are same!!!

Posted by: Adam Habib, dallas,TX | September 4, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Obama you have already told us what you and Joe Biden are going to do.....that's why we are voting McCain palin

Posted by: jen | September 4, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. I am impressed beyond a doubt that God has closen John McCain and Sarah Palin to lead this great nation in these tough times. A good shephard lays down his life for the sheep, and John McCain has demonstrated it. I am proud to have him as my president.

Posted by: Pauline Charles | September 4, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Watching Sarah Pallin and the redneck clan last night was like watching Jerry Springer...I can't wait to see what they give us tonight...maybe they'll have Maury Poverich (sp?) giving DNA samples to find out it Levi is Bristol's baby father!!! Boy, the Obama campaign couldn't ask for a better hand if they were playing spades! ROFLMAO!!!

Posted by: Lucy | September 4, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

MR. Obama what a first class responce it is so sad to watch the GOP these people seem to be the most hate-ful people they will stop at nothing to win.

Posted by: Jeff Oregon | September 4, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I guess die-hard neocons think that community oragnizer is just two letters away from "communist organizer". I think Palin will work with unsophisticated ovters who have nothing but emotional intelligence.

Posted by: Justin | September 4, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to compete with emerging global superpowers with a retarded inbred hick family at the helm.

Posted by: JC | September 4, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

"Is he surprised by Republican attacks? "What did you guys expect? I anticipated this last Thursday in my acceptance speech. This is what they do. They don't have an agenda to run on. They haven't offered a single concrete idea so far in two nights. They spent the entire two nights attacking me and extolling John McCain's biography, which is fine -- they can use their convention time any way they want. But you can't expect that I'd be surprised by attacks from Republicans. And by the way, I've been called worse on the basketball court."

Wow, Barack Obama is so classy! I am sold.

Posted by: lany | September 4, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

father, when is this redneck reality show going to end?

Posted by: jesus | September 4, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

community organizer as an insult is one of the strangest Palin remarks that I think needs more air time.

How many men and women who that title refers to are holding people together, doing unpaid grunt work for communities in the small towns Palin is being trumped up as the icon of.

Not my small town.

My small town values include health care, and not taking earmarks than claiming a reformer moniker.

Posted by: Iowa grant | September 4, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Last night we saw Tonya Harding with a speechwriter. Palin offered almost nothing of substance. She's positive we should be paranoid. She mocked constitutional rights. Well screw you, Nananook of the Nazis. The stuff about putting the governor's jet on E-Bay was cute but other than that she did what reactionaries always accused hippies of doing -- she tore down but she didn't build up. She did something that no hippie was ever accused of doing, she fortified the luxury bunker where the rich and powerful hide. The creepy thing is that she did it in the guise of an American every woman. She sold herself as a great administrator, even though she couldn't manage to keep a carwash open in the the muddiest state in the union. .

Goodluck Johnny McBush!...you're going to need it.

Posted by: Karla Martinson | September 4, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Interesting

Palin states she has more executive experience than Obama.

Palin characterizes his work in the State Legislature and US Senate as never being in charge of running a goverment at an executive level.

If thats the case, and she believes this to be true, then John McCain has also not run anything or had any executive experience for even longer than Barack Obama.

So in her eyes McCain has more experience doing less important work than Barack Obama.

Posted by: Rene F | September 4, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm interested to see how she responds in an interview or debate...last night Palin was a talking head for GOP speechwriters. Honestly, I don't see how anyone was wowed with her speech...it was nasty, venemous and completely devoid of details on all of her "experience."

Posted by: nic | September 4, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Compared to her, Barack seems ... inexperienced.

Posted by: David | September 4, 2008 4:47 PM
-----------
Palin has experience alright...

I can't wait until the next issue of the Enquirer. Its supposed to be focused on her "experience"

Posted by: :^p | September 4, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad I'm supporting a reasonable and logical man for President. Go Obama/Biden!!

Posted by: ODB | September 4, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Obama has impressed me yet again with his response. I'm sold. I'm comfortable with Biden at his back and Obama's foreign policy papers leave me with the impression that he understands human nature at a visceral level. That is what we need to get ourselves out of the two wars we are in and avoid a third against Iran, if possible.

Palin showed me nothing except how mean and nasty she can be and how garbage McCain's judgement is!

Posted by: Victor Shaw | September 4, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry Obama. The 7th anniversary of September 11th Terrorist attacks are coming up in 7 days.

I expect to hear about an Al Qaeda or Bin Laden tape release in the next few days. This will be a stark reminder of the failures of the Bush administration to capture or kill Bin Laden, and gives Obama and Biden another strong talking point against Bush/McCain. Poor Palin will be out in the boonies taking about PTAs and hockey events. Meanwhile Independent voters will again rethink Obama/Biden or McCain/Palin and lean Obama/Biden!

I think the polls will really shoot in Obama's favor after September 15th.

Posted by: Obama-Junkie | September 4, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Democratic landslide made possible by 'operation desperation' and the Palin factor. Finally, a chance to abolish the electoral college (It's so 17th century) and save America from the neocons once and for all.

Posted by: Ooops | September 4, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Palin needs a community organizer........to help her find a phone so she can call a reporter for a frigging interview.

She can't stay in the undisclosed location forever.

Red meat speeches cut both ways.

There's a reason that the GOP protects some of their pols from the press. If they could, they wouldn't let any of them out there except in pre-scripted, pre-recorded digital form. Just think if not for his "macaca moment," George Allen would be the GOP nominee...HAHAHA!!!

Posted by: Penny | September 4, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous, the Republican Convention is just boring, not a good show, not good audience ( and not all that much either) and not good cast. There needs to be something to write about. Just go and compare:

Posted by: European_Elitist | September 4, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

For the last 18 months, Barack Obama has been trying to sell himself, introduce himself. He's had a hard time because his record and judgement don't mesh with the image of Change and Hope, and American. Sara Palin, on the other hand, actually seems like a genuine person. And she has a record of accomplishments. She has raised a family and run a state. Compared to her, Barack seems ... inexperienced.

Posted by: David | September 4, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Palin's selection for the vice presidency on the Repugnant ticket is something that should be rejoiced by the Democrats. This was an act of desparation by the Repugnants. With the great success of the Democratic convention they could clearly see the writing on the wall and they hastily and desparately decided that they had to do something to change the dynamics at play and Palin was selected, though completely unvetted.

Needless to say this type of high odds gambling has little chance of succeeding. More and more things about Palin will come to the surface as they already are every single day.

Posted by: Paula Roberts | September 4, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Another classy response from Barack.

Plus, I love reading all of the whiny comments from the republicans about the media.

Grow up!

Posted by: G | September 4, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

make that .. just report the facts ... equally.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Your bias is showing . at this point you had done more than 3 times as many article on the democratic convention.

try to stop influencing the outcome, and just report the facts.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse